Chris Cooley turns spotlight over to his mom and fight against breast cancer

Last weekend marked the second-year anniversary of Nancy Cooley's breast cancer diagnosis and Tuesday night Nancy and her sons Chris and Tanner Cooley staged a benefit to help raise money to battle the disease.

His mom is now cancer-free, but Chris Cooley, along with Redskins teammates Mike Sellers, Reed Doughty, Colt Brennan, Lee Vickers and Graham Gano, hosted a fundraiser in Ashburn.

"It's so cool. The way I watched her go through the disease and the strength she showed was so impressive to me," said the Redskins' tight end, "so to be a part of the event with her is so special."

One of the more intriguing parts of the night came during the silent auction. A giant pink basket, overflowing with pink goodies, was put up for bid and the lone bidder turned out to be Sellers, the Redskins' menacing fullback.

"It takes a real man to wear pink," Sellers joked about the bright pink prize that was on the auction block. He opened the bidding at $1,000, and no one else dared jump in.

Sellers said he was inspired by his own mother but also was touched by the Nancy Cooley's battle and the words she shared with the crowd.

"It's not about the recognition," Sellers said. "It's more just giving back, and being able to be fortunate enough to give back. I didn't come here expecting to do anything. I just came here to hang out and be a face. But once I heard Chris's mom talking it was just like, well, if we're going to get it, let's get it rolling. So I started it, and I happened to finish it."

The basket, put together by Carolyn Cole-Rodenburg and the IIIB's Foundation, is a kit for women suffering from breast cancer, filled with approximately 35 items, including a pink blanket, a pillow, a back scratcher, soap, deodorant and several other items. Sellers felt others might get more use out of the items in the basket than he might, so he asked that the basket be given to someone battling breast cancer.

"I love Mike," said Nancy Cooley. "I've known Mike for a long time, and it doesn't surprise me at all. I think people always think Mike is just -- Mike's the nicest guy in the world."

The night marked the second straight year Cooley hosted a Rally for the Cure event. The proceeds were to benefit Eastern Loudoun Relay for Life Briar Woods FBLA team. Even before Sellers placed the extravagant bid, Cooley said he was honored by his teammates' attendance Tuesday night.

"The guys on the Redskins are great in supporting everyone's different events and different charities. It's good to be a part of a team that truly cares about each other and has a lot of guys who truly care about one another," he said. "So I'm thankful to them for coming out tonight."

By Rick Maese  |  May 19, 2010; 8:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Canadian doctor charged with supplying HGH was traveling to treat player in Washington
Next: Redskins players react to story linking teammate to doctor's drug bust

Comments

Can't be first if you call yourself beep-beep. That is all.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 19, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

This is all well and good, but isn't the team going through OTAs? Isn't something report-worthy going on there?

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 9:02 AM

Let's hope not. With OTA's, no news is good news. Usually the only hard news in OTA's is injuries. A few bottom of the roster guys will get cut.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

CynicalFan1,
ha! that's what i was thinking. when i saw "beep-beep" at the end of the last thread, i thought... "oh no...they've revealed who the HGH player is" and "maybe there's an OTA update"... oh well...

btw, let me just clearly state my position on the controversial issue at hand: cancer is bad - i'm against it!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 19, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Hello?? Monday was first day of OTA's guys.

Posted by: RambleOn | May 19, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, cynicalfan, who in the right mind would give a damn about the fight against breast cancer? It's so damn ho-hum, let's talk about the guys who are stretching in shorts and helmets.

If you know somone that wasn't affected by breast cancer: Please take a step forward.

Big ups to all the cancer survivors and fighters!

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Both of my grandmothers have had breast cancer...one survived, one didn't. Good for Cooley and mom taking up such a worthy cause.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

REPOST:

brown, that's shallow minded to think just because someone, albeit an NBA legend, vouches for a guy, that he must be right.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 8:55 AM

Red, you'll excuse me if I listen to one of the greatest PGs in NBA history for PG evaluations over a bunch of fellow slappies on an NFL blog. Just as people sit up and listen when Dan Marino analyzes another QB or Rod Woodson gives his take on a young, up and coming DB, I'll throw a little respect Magic Johnson's way when he's talking PGs. I'm not saying Wall is an air-tight lock to be great because Magic says so, but if he thinks Wall has the goods, I'll take him at his word.

As for the "go back and check how many people were saying that Oden was the better pick over Durant" stuff...hindsight is 20/20, dude. You can't necessarily predict that a guy is gonna be injury prone. Both guys were dominant in college and both guys suffered injuries their last year before going pro. They were 1a and 1b that year...there's no way you could have predicted that Durant would be a so much better pick at the time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Reposting this cause it got beeped...

You're overlooking everything else that entails what a legit PG is.

On-ball defense/Perimeter defense
Run a half-court offense
Ball security/Turnover prevention
Perimeter shooting

Those are the things that are lacking in Wall's game.

Again, there is a very good chance that down the road that Wall could develop those things. Keyword being Could...

And Turner at 6-7 isn't a "big man". He's a skilled perimeter player which is just as vital as talented PG in today's NBA.

Posted by: RedDMV

Your points are valid Red, and theres a "could" factor with everybody that comes out. I recall Rondo having much of the same questions about him when he was drafted, but the Celts let him develop a few years, and now he's carrying that team.

Good perimeter players can be found a number of ways, but a potential Derrick Rose type player who can run the offense instead of trying to be the offense (Agent Zero), comes around maybe once or twice a decade.

Like I said before, you let him develop his true pg game, and target Kevin Durant when he hits the FA market in a couple of years.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Like an abusive relationship where they keep giving me a reason to come back and believe in them, all I can say is: "I love this team."

Posted by: Dorf | May 19, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Supporting events like this is what is good in the NFL. The media probably doesn't give enough of the spotlight to all of the charity events that the players are involved in and all of the charities they sponsor.

BTW, I had to check the Redskins' roster to find out who Lee Vickers was. I just can't stay on top of all of these personnel changes...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 9:18 AM

Alright, I've had enough of these insults. Speak for yourself. We're not "slappies" until Cindy says we're slappies, and the last time I heard from her, we're hamsters.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Lee Vickers??????

Also, I just remembered we got Phillip Buchanon.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

The Wizard's play is to grab Wall, pass on the FAs this year and make a run at bringing Kevin Durant home in 2011.

A team built around Wall-Durant could compete in East for a decade to come.

Posted by: p1funk

Again, you're betting on the fact that Durant is a sure guarantee. OKC is the only team that can offer Durant a max contract -- keep that in mind. Do you really think that in 2011-2012 the Wizards can be just as good as the Thunder are today with the young nucleus they have there?

Betting on the fact that he could come to your team, really isn't the smart thing to do.

Look at the Nets and Knicks. The dumped contracts solely on the chance of getting Lebron. If one of them doesn't it could set their franchise back for a long time.

Funny how you list Turner's short comings, but overlook Wall's, when at the end of the day is more concerning than Turner's. You know, with Wall being that "dynamic" point guard.

And since when did skilled perimeter players become a dime-a-dozen in the NBA? When I say skilled perimeter player, I'm talking about a triple-threat on offense and a lock down defender on the perimeter.

Turner is those things.

But what do I know, sure let's get Wall because he does that cool dance thingy with his arm, he's likable, and he's marketable.

And oh BTW, judging from Wall's expression last night, dude didn't look exactly thrilled about the Wizards landing that number one pick. Either he isn't too high on D.C. or he isn't really feeling the prospect of playing with Arenas.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 9:30 AM

Well, duh. The guy wanted to play with LBJ and the Nets and ride around on that yacht with the owner who has more money than God.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 19, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

OKC is the only team that can offer Durant a max contract

By Reds

Sign and Trade....

I would def take Durant ova LeBron...But does he want to come back home? He didn't stay home to play College Ball...and he says he loves OKC..almost pushed the LAkers..The best team around..to 7 games

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I know this isn't a major issue, but I was wondering if anyone else heard anything about this. When Donovan McNabb joined the team he was automatically given the number 5, was there any compensation given to Colt Brennen or did he just give it up? I remember the big problem between Portis and Ifiani Ohalata (I know I butchered that) for the number 26, and it still didn't get settled, they had to go to court.

Posted by: monk811 | May 19, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | May 19, 2010 9:35 AM

I think I recall that what happened is when Collins got cut Brennan took #15, which had been Brennan's number, leaving #5 up for grabs.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 19, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Eh, so what, all he knows of the Wiz is the rudderless organization of last year.

This is a new day with a new owner who has a track record of success.

Once he gets to DC and sees what a basketball hungry town this really is, he'll be fine.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | May 19, 2010 9:35 AM

It was a non-issue...Colt only took 5 because his college #15 was already taken by Todd Collins. With Collins gone, Colt switched to his preferred #15 and DMac got his familiar #5. Worked out perfectly.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

But who the sjk is Lee Vickers?

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

And yes HGH should be banned, anything that helps your body heal faster than normal is cheating. Football players, not Wolverine.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 6:20 AM
------------------------------------------
When steroids were first being used by athletes, people didn't see anything wrong with them. They still haven't been able to establish a direct link between steroids and cancers, but there is a ton of anecdotal evidence. Did you ever hear of a guy named Lyle Alzado? HGH falls into that category of "we don't know what the negative effects will be" because there is not enough long term data to determine its effects, but in abundance, I think it will be bad. The problem with performance enhancing drugs is they are taken by people with the mindset that "if a little is good, a lot must be better". If you talk to someone who ever used steroids, you'll know what I say is true. Guys inject this stuff directly into muscles - sometimes every muscle - just to get an edge. They take it morning, noon and night - and twice on Sunday. HGH may turn out to be harmless, but if the NFL is saying no to it, then it must be something worse than your garden variety vitamin supplement.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26

"A bunch of slappies on a NFL blog"?

Was that supposed to be some weak ass insult? And you wonder why your dumb ass got aired out last time over the Marko thing. It isn't in you to have a rational conversation with out insulting somone.

You totally chose to conveniently overlook the fact that I said "albeit a NBA legend", just to amplify your argument -- AS USUAL! I gave Magic Johnson props, never suggested that he's wrong or doesn't know what he's talking about, but as usual you put your classic bullsh*t brownwood26 spin on sh*t to suit your argument. TYPICAL YOU!!!!

There are plenty of other NBA analyst that are making the case for Turner over Wall.

I never said that injuries were a factor in choosing Durant over Oden coming out of college. It obviously didn't hinder the TrailBlazers decision to take Oden, did it? I'm talking about strictly from a skill and talent aspect, and based on that alone, Durant should've been the pick over Oden. If you didn't know that, then you don't know about basketball, dude.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

But who the sjk is Lee Vickers?

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 9:49 AM
-----------------------------------------
Tight end. Sounds like the earth moving blocker type... Think of him as Yoder 2.0

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"When someone brings up a rational argument that DWARFS your sh*t, you 1) condescend, then 2) insult them. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself in doing so, makes you feel that you won the argument."

New RI Lingo to consolodate this...

What? You just gonna give me the Lavar treatment?

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm trying to figure out when I said it was a "guarantee" that Durant would come here, but I don't think I did, so I don't where that was coming from. All I said is that I would love to see a Wall-Durant nucleus in DC and that if I were the Wiz, I would go in that direction.

I also have said that I think the Turner-Wall discussion has alot of parallels to the Okafor-Howard discussion.

Yes, Turner has positive attributes, just like Okafor did - more polished player, accomplished more in college.

But the Magic rolled the dice with Howard because they saw a much higher ceiling with regards to talent/potential.

ALL of these guys are "could" players at this point - the question in the draft is evaluating who has more "could" in them.

It's undeniable that John Wall - with 2 years LESS experience in college ball and greater athleticism - has more "could" in him than Turner. Look at what Turner was doing as a FRESHMAN at OSU and then look at what Wall was doing.

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Looks can be deceiving.

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Bottom line, p1, when it comes down to it the best players are Wall and Turner.

Rolling the dice on "could" and "potential" could come back to haunt you, just as it did with Oden and Durant. To be that comparison is more valid than Howard and Okafor.

That article is refreshing though because I got the feeling that he wasn't thrilled about coming to D.C.

Now before the draft comes along they need to do two things:

Get rid of Flip
Get rid of Ernie

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Red, once again you jump off the deep end for no discernible reason...first off I said "fellow slappies", denoting that I was including myself. So I'm not sure why you would take a "weak-ass insult" so personally if A) it were indeed "weak" and B) if I was "insulting" myself in the process. Since none of us are NBA GMs or basketball coaches, nobody up here has the chops to say indisputably who is or isn't in line to be the next great NBA player.

The point I'm making (and perhaps not doing a good job of getting across) is that from everything I've seen and heard to date, Wall is best pick. I could see going for Evan Turner if we already had an elite PG, but we don't. Just like getting a franchise QB in football puts you ahead of the game, so does getting an elite PG in basketball. From what I've heard--and yes, from the mouth of one of the greatest PGs ever--Wall is capable of being that guy.

And the other point I was making was that at the time of the Oden/Durant debate, there weren't many people saying Durant should go first. Oden was the prize of the draft and Durant was a great consolation prize. Just because it didn't turn out that way, doesn't mean it wasn't considered the wise choice at the time. We have the benefit of hindsight, the guys getting paid to make that pick did not.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Also, when looking at the freshman seasons of Wall and Turner, you gotta consider the talent surrounding them at the time.

It isn't just as simple as comparing stats all the time... Stuff you can't read in a box score like basketball I.Q.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Whatever, brown. Backtrack a tad and clean up your stance to your heart's content.

If we were talking about the NFL, and opinions differed, guess what? We're still two "fellow slappies on a NFL blog". But you never felt a need to make that denotation before, have you? But have your opinion challenged on something you may not be familiar with as, let's say, basketball, then it's "What the fu_k do I, you or any of us know, 'cause we're two slappies on a NFL blog".

Got it.

We're done here... no need to further continue this discussion between two "fellow slappies on a NFL blog". Because since we have no earthly idea what we're talking about any further discussion on ANY matter, whether basketball or football is moot.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse