Redskins enter bye week with a slew of injuries

With a bye week coming up, the Redskins now have a much-needed break to nurse several bumps and bruises that players brought with them back to Washington.

Safety Chris Horton left the game in the first half and appeared on the sidelines in the second half wearing street clothes and a protective walking boot on his right foot. Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said Horton hurt his ankle.

"I think he's sore," Shanahan said. "I'm not sure. It should be okay in a couple of days. I don't think it's a high sprain or anything like that."

Tight end Chris Cooley also missed significant time in the second half. The team announced that it was back spasms and trainers were stretching his back on the sidelines. Shanahan said after the game Cooley was slowed by a sore ankle as well. In Cooley's place, rookie Logan Paulsen saw playing time in two tight-end packages late in the game, though Cooley did eventually return.

Running back Ryan Torain suffered a strained hamstring late in the first half. He said after the game that he anticipates feeling better in a day or two.

Both of the Redskins' right tackles -- Jammal Brown and Stephon Heyer -- were limited in practice last week. Despite a sore ankle, Heyer got the start over Brown, who's been slowed by his hip.

Heyer played the team's first three offensive possessions and Brown played the next three. They rotated in and out for the entirety of the game.

By Rick Maese  | October 31, 2010; 7:24 PM ET
Categories:  Chris Cooley, Chris Horton, Jammal Brown, Ryan Torain, Stephon Heyer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Penalties contribute to Redskins' unraveling vs. Lions
Next: DeAngelo Hall: 'We just didn't execute' vs. Lions

Comments

Benching McNabb with 2 mins left and bringing Rex in cold was a weird move. It's not Swinging Gate play weird, but it was--dare I say it--Zornesque. Yes, I know McNabb threw the pick that lost us the game, but we still were in a position to win. Rex is a proven turnover machine, choker and exudes suckitude.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 31, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

WTF, raiders have a better offense than us. 33 points this week.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 31, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's any good anymore,the NFL has to be this Soviet, guaranteeing wins and profits to low quality teams, since all profits are shared in the NFL..All of pro sports has this aspect, in fact, okay, the Skins lose to help keep the Lions afloat...Maybe it's time to...Scr*w that Jon Stewart/Steven Colbert Unity Concert to "We Stand United" for the next war, probably with Iran...

Posted by: frak | October 31, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess Snyder will make plenty of cash off the 1 year rental McNabb jerseys sold. They need 3 new QB's along with an entire new offesive line outside Trent Williams. He hasn't been a superstar either.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | October 31, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

To "Frak": What was all that again?

Posted by: bigfoot1 | October 31, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

felt like we saw a little lack of effort today, aka zornesque... really 2 rb's???? I like shanahan but his ego is getting in the way. fat al has come a long way and a few others look promising but #5 doesn't seem like he even cares anymore.

Posted by: stivic | October 31, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

We're having a good time kicking around McNabb and the O Line, but what is up with this D? Why are teams routinely running up big numbers on us? I gotta point the finger at Haslett and his idiotic schemes.

The amoeba? Really? Has that stopped ANYTHING yet? And why is Albert doing standing up at the edge instead of putting his hand in the dirt over a guard and blowing him up?

WTF already!

Posted by: edvar | October 31, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I recall mentioning to a friend that I thought the deal for McNabb was more of the same Redskin dealing that they have done for years (Over the hill, overpriced, over their prime veterans for picks). He said no way and pointed to McNabb's past numbers and accomplishments just like the Redskins marketing department. Well, this isn't the past and more and more it looks like Reid and the Iggles got one over on us. That being said, I still don't see how you hand the keys to Grossman in that situation unless L'il Danny Snyder is making the calls again. A very strange game that does not bode well as I remember a new coach going in to a bye week 6-2 a couple of years ago. The Swinging Gate ring a bell? (Insert Halloween Scream here)

Hopefully the break will do McNabb some good and he comes back in two weeks ready to prove me wrong by getting the 'Skins in to the postseason. HTTR.

Posted by: splitbill | October 31, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Beeps.

Posted by: edvar | October 31, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

18 Games! 18 Games! 18 Games! 18 Games! 18 Games! 18 Games! What I work at a hospital. Injured multi-millionaires are good for business.

Posted by: Dirtbag59 | October 31, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

If they are pros and they really think Grossman gives them a better chance then the coaches owe it to the whole team and the fans to put him in. He will throw a pick but once he has a chance without a boy named Suh in his face I think we might be pleasantly suprised. I think DM should still start though. QB play hasn't been great this year, but it hasn't killed us like last year. I would be in favor of giving him an extension too because I think he will get their system.

Posted by: ElYeah | November 1, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

LOL from 4-12 with an easy schedule, 4-4 with a harder schedule. I think I take that is none season. If we go 8-8 or 7-9 it will be successful and then you reload at the positions you are weak and thin. I think we all knew we were still at least two OL short of decent, and we all knew that Portis' better days were behind him. We also all knew that we were very weak at WR, so why is everyone surprised and mad now?

We are what we thought we were, getting better but not good yet. Next year we will probably not be good either, but with a better schedule and a few more players we will probably be good enough to compete for the playoffs. It is frustrating when it's right there for you and you blow it, but thats what rebuilding teams do.

Benching Mcnabb would be dumb. Though I don't agree with it yeaterday, if they thought he had a better chance in that situation to help us then thats what they get paid to do. Donovan gets paid to produce and he isn't doing it for whatever reason, but play in and out he is the better option and with a little more time to read and react and a better running game he will be fine.

Hopefully this doesn't make him decide to go elsewhere and we have a chance to resign him later. I am sure he and the coaches have already talkied and he is ready to get after it in practice and get ready to beat the Eagles again.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | November 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse