Chris Cooley is hopeful for offensive improvement vs. Texans

Coach Mike Shanahan and his offensive coordinator son, Kyle, hope the offense makes strides after it produced only 250 net yards and failed to score a touchdown during the victory over the Dallas Cowboys.

Week 2 could be the week to do it, Pro Bowl tight end Chris Cooley said.

"I think every week is a chance for us to improve," he said. "I feel like we've put together a very solid game plan. Guys are looking forward to getting better.

"We're confident in our ability to move the ball and score points, and it's exciting that we can get another opportunity to do that."

Cooley led the Redskins with six catches for 80 yards against Dallas. Cooley and quarterback Donovan McNabb clearly have developed a good rapport on the field, and the short- to mid-range passing game could be key against the Texans because "they're a good man-coverage team," Cooley said. "They try to play quite a bit of man coverage, but they mix it up. As far as the receivers go, it's going to be up to us to win our individual matchups. That's how we're going to make big plays."

Although ties between the Redskins and Texans ties strong and their offenses are basically identical, all that familiarity won't hurt the Redskins, Cooley said.

"That's a common idea, but we're going to change it up," Cooley said. "From a player standpoint, our game plan's so different this week. I talked to a few of the guys after practice ... there's so much different stuff in. There's a lot of adjustments for us to make offensively. And I'm sure that they're going to do the same thing."

By Jason Reid  |  September 17, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Chris Cooley
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Texans' Mario Williams presents challenge for Redskins offensive line
Next: Redskins rely on Portis blocking in pass protection

Comments

Why not greg?

um...I'm sure you've got the answer there hess, so why don't you tell me....

Its probably because he didn't catch that pass in preseason right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:47 AM |

greg, why do you disagree with every post I put on the board ? You obviously still have a grudge with me and my snyder boycott thing, which I had alot of fun with, but gave it up due to the response from posters. Now, just because someone criticizes a Redskin player doesn't mean they don't like that player or that player is not good. FD, THIS YEAR, INCLUDING PRESEASON, has a lot to be desired and the team needs to get him the going. What does that have to do with any other player on this team ?

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

10 years later and we're still looking for a receiving corps.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 17, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Dallas DumBoys? wow...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Not very original, but I like it!!!
Even if they were dissin us while dissin them.....

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 10:01 AM

A double diss? haha...can we even finish 1-16?

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

It should improve.. Peyton Manning threw for 433 yards on Houston...not saying we'll do that but Houston doesn't have Dallas' defense. My main concern is about stopping Arian Foster. If we can't stop him I see no 2-0 start...

Posted by: rachel216 | September 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

We need to at least TRY to go deep once this game.... I don't think we attempted a pass over 20 yards on Sunday.

Let Moss or AA run a fly, just to keep the defense honest...

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes I wonder what happens after I click my mouse and find double post and reposts on new threads. I'll get 21st century one of these days I guess.

greg, when it comes to my post, you need to look at them with some sense of humor, I'm just not here to criticize. Sometimes it is in order, you know. FD needs to step it up THIS YEAR is what I'm trying to say, not that he sucks!

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Dallas DumBoys? wow...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Not very original, but I like it!!!
Even if they were dissin us while dissin them.....

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 10:01 AM

A double diss? haha...can we even finish 1-16?

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

The double-dog-dissed us!!! I don't know, maybe 2-14 is wishful thinking!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | September 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

We don't exactly have Indy's passing game either.

IMO, we need to run the ball this week. If we can run the ball, control some tempo, move some chains, get something going with play-action in the passing game, give our defense some down-time on the sideline, then we'll be in it.

If we can't run like last week, then we are in for a really long afternoon b/c I don't think the Texans are going to choke up opportunities the way the 'Girls did.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the range we have as the week goes on. We go from raving about our win to panic over end zone offense in the span of 4 days. Week one, year one of a new regime people, relax! Parcells and Belicheck took at least 2 years before significant change. Relax and ENJOY the process and development. It will make the end result more tasty! This team is still at least 5 good players away from championship quality.

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 17, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

What I'd like to see is a little improvement from the running game too. I think this will be an interesting game, Houston has a good defense but not a great one and a great offense. We should have a real idea of what we're made of after Sunday. If our defense performs well (IMO anything under 20 points is a good performance) and our offense can muster 3 TDs we win and I'll feel a lot more secure about us. I already feel great about Shanny and the direction of the team long term, but I think we'll learn a whole lot about our ability to contend this year Sunday. Houston by most accounts looks to be a playoff team, if we win or its a close game then we're legit.

Prediction: Skins 24 Houston 17

Hail!

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 17, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | September 17, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

From PFT - Cooley at it again!
9/17 10:19 a.m.

Reports are coming out that Chris Cooley AGAIN is revealing parts of the game plan, this time for their match-up with the Houston Texans. It is believed to contain sketches of plays, a recipe for his peanut butter/ham sandwich, and a nice picture of his wife's boobage (nice!!!).
In an unrelated story, Poop_McPoop has just pooped into Albert_Haynesworth's, I men his own pants. In an interview, PlayAction says Poopy is, "being framed by Hessone" and is innocent. A report from Hessone is expected after his fight with BeantownGreg. More in the coming hours....

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

FD needs to step it up THIS YEAR is what I'm trying to say, not that he sucks!

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

You could say that about every player on the team.

I want Davis to do well, but there are at least 11 players on offense that are more important to the Redskins success.

In my opinion the interior lineman are really going to have to improve for the offense to improve. Casey Rabach especially.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 17, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The double-dog-dissed us!!! I don't know, maybe 2-14 is wishful thinking!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 10:20 AM

I mean...well Whitlow says we may go 1-16...I'm thinking that's impossible...unles we somehow make the playoffs at 1-15.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Sorry if I'm not losing sleep over Arian Foster. Yes, he had a splendid day running the ball. Torched the Colts for 230 yards on the ground. Great. Nice way to start his career. Not too shabby, and what have you...

But it is only one game in and they did play the Colts. The same Colts who have consistently had one of the weaker run defenses over the last 5 years.

I was more concerned with Dallas and their three running backs more than I am with the Texans and their one running back.

Call me a crazy homer but I don't see Foster sniffing the century mark.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

A center, Free safety, 2 WR, & DT not to mention the normal turnover of free agents that are not re-signed.

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 17, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

JReid, any piece on players being hopeful about whatever = weak sauce. C'mon, mayne! Be a reporter and put some pride in your work.

Posted by: pgugino | September 17, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

RSH, Armstrong had the ball in his hands and didn't make the play. Period. His size doesn't really matter in this case since the throw was there, AA got position on the DB and simply bobbled the ball out of bounds. Nothing wrong with the play...it was the execution that was bad.

So I don't care how big our WRs are...just that they make plays.

Posted by: brownwood26

Do you care it was his first start in the NFL? Against dallas? Sunday night? That he was well covered by a good DB?

God what an unforgiving lot clutter this board. Armstrong showed skills in the pre-season and is a de-facto rookie. Give him at least a second game before writing him off.

And by the way,how many catches did the three second round receivers make? I thought so.

Let this be an object lesson for those who wanted Banks running back punts. Experience counts.

Posted by: TheCork | September 17, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I finally made a PFT post...Yes!!!

Free Poopy!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, kinda missed that one. Sorry, that was kinda funny after the fact!!! Maybe we'll go 2-15.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Mario Williams is dinged. Roid boy is still suspended. The other DE is dinged and the Texan's secondary gave away the shop vs. the Colts. I like Cooley to catch a few and run over a few Texans. Also, our O-line should be better in this game than the opener.

I like our chances to actually have a BIG game.

Washington 31
Houston 10

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 17, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 17, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Disagree with this sentiment some....yes they are actually more than 5 players away from being a perennial championship/playoff contender and that list is 2 WR, center, OLB opposite Rak, MLB depth, powerhouse NT, a guard, and a running back.....

But a team can make a run in a year if things fall right, New Orleans has a lot of flaws, the defense was impossibly lucky in the turnover battle last year and the chances of that repeating are unlikely. The keys to being able to make a run is have a good coach, have a good QB, and have a good defense. We have all three of those. Are we presently constructed to be annually good right now? No, Allen has some work to do there still, but in one offseason he solidified our oline, massively upgraded the QB, and hired one of the best coaches in the history of football. I like where we're headed, given another offseason we'll be even better, but if we stay healthy there's no reason we can't make a run this year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 17, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Must we look at Tom Frickin' Brady ever day on RI?

Posted by: TheCork | September 17, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Red...You are a crazy homer.

But I agree.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

"And by the way,how many catches did the three second round receivers make? I thought so"

There is some logic for you. 1 of those three is on IR, and the other 2 didn't get a ball thrown their way...but don't let that stop you corky...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I benched Brady this week specifically because of that damned ad that's been hurting my brain for the last 2 weeks now.

Well that and I am starting the Dog Killer against the Lions and their speedy turf.

What grown man with a full head of hair deliberately styles his 'do to make it look like a 'combover'? I'm at a loss.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 17, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

WG, I agree too for the most part. But every now and then I take off the gold shades and put down the burgundy colored kool-aid.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The O's will take 3 out of 4 games this weekend form the Yanks.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 9:55 AM
-------------------------------------
and then you woke up! stop dreaming...and yes the Rays are very good and have a chance to win it all...but the O's taking 3 from my Yankees...Bullsh!t

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

McNabb the Co. are learning a new offense. You can't expect guy to come in learning a new offense and feel comfortable right away....

Posted by: Alan4 | September 17, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 17, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

A run to the playoffs is not totally out of the question, but I wouldn't exactly say it's a "realistic" goal.

The New Orleans comparison is a big stretch. It was a team leaning on its offense to score points (which they did consistently) and could afford a high-risk/high-reward type of defense.

You mentioned staying healthy, and I think that's definitely one of the keys.

The Eagles are already in an uphill battle b/c of injuries; and if the 'Girls stay this shaky on their Oline throughout the season and underacheive, then we could have a chance to win the division.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | September 17, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

From PFT - Cooley at it again!
9/17 10:19 a.m.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Cooley, shut up.
Cooley, shut up.
Cooley, shut up.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | September 17, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

You mentioned staying healthy, and I think that's definitely one of the keys.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

That's my point, I watched every second of the Giants game, they won big and looked terrible. If Matt Moore doesn't throw 3 INTs from literally inside the Gints 5 yard line thats a totally different game. The Eagles looked mediocre at best until Vick was in the game and IMO as soon as Kolb is healthy Vick goes back to the Wildcat only, and we just saw the Cowboys.....if we stay healthy we have a more than legit chance at the division, and once you get in the playoffs anything can happen.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 17, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander has faith that offense will improve

Chris Cooley is hopeful for offensive improvement vs. Texans

It's the soupster's fault that offense sucks, right haters?

all he does is dump it off

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

It is only game 2 and we are freaking out...love it. I think we will continue to get better on Offense, once McNabb gets more comfortable, but he did miss the last 2-3 weeks of preseason...

Love to see both Cooley and FD line up together in a bunch outside, use them as picks for each other, screens, across the middle and then once, send FD long down the side.

It seems every team that has a stud receiver knows how to get him open or isolated, we still cant seem to do that.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 17, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

ratings

Campbell 69.7
Soupster 63.4

and so it begins

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

beans, not playing contrarian here, but:

"1 of those three is on IR..."

Malcolm Kelly, while an injury prone waste of a pick, you can't blame for not having a catch. If his vagina hurts, his vagina hurts. They've moved on regarding him for the year.

But you can ask 'why' about Thomas and Davis.

..."and the other 2 didn't get a ball thrown their way..."

'Why'?

If the answer is 'they weren't on the field', one could again ask: 'Why?'.

If the answer is that they weren't getting look, again, one could ask: 'Why?'.

If the answer is 'McNabb doesn't have confidence in them', not to sound redundant, but again you can ask: 'Why?'.

As much as I'd like to see all three succeed and be big contributions for the 'skins for the next decade, I think I'm beginning to think that these guys just don't have "it". Whether it's Kelly's injury problems, or Thomas' alleged immaturity and lack of dedication to his craft or Fred Davis' lack of focus or motivation, these guys just don't consistently have "it", or when called on, can provide "it".

It'll be nice if they could though, because the 'skins damn sure need "it".

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1

cause we don't have a stud receiver

just a short stud

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 17, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

It's hard when our stud (Moss) is the only real horse in the barn, so he is double or triple teamed, and the rest of them don't have the experience or skill to get open, think of them as those little midget horses that won't get any bigger. These horses need to grow, E I E I O!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Campbell 69.7
Soupster 63.4

and so it begins

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:05 AM

Redskins 1-0
Raiders 0-1

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

*can't

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander has faith that offense will improve

Chris Cooley is hopeful for offensive improvement vs. Texans

It's the soupster's fault that offense sucks, right haters?

all he does is dump it off

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

OMG, the only person on the planet that would defend JC......how did the Raiders look last week? Campbell was 22 of 37 for 180 yards 1 TD, 1 INT and 72 yards and the TD came in the 4th after the game was way way way over as they started the 4th down 31 to 6.....sound familiar?

Meanwhile McNabb got us opening drive points...which has been as rare as a purple unicorn for the entire JC era, never had a turnover, didn't have happy feet in the pocket, knew when to slide and still look down-field to pick up key 3rd downs when the game still mattered, and was a dropped TD call from having a pretty darn decent game.

Take your JC love elsewhere, we've all thankfully moved on.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 17, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4

unless his name is Jason Campbell, unless his name is Jason Campbell, unless his name is Jason Campbell, unless his name is Jason Campbell

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

red, as far as Kelly goes, MS thought enough of this guy to put him on IR rather than cutting him outright/injury settlement type of thing, so that tells you what he thinks of him....

I can't answer why they didn't get looks, but then they didn't throw to many people overall, so I'm not sure what the answer is...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Watch Cooley's 9/16 interview on redskins.com. Compared to previous interviews, he is fairly tight-lipped and a bit pissed off with some of the reporters. Regime change, indeed.

Posted by: swowra | September 17, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

ratings

Campbell 69.7
Soupster 63.4

and so it begins

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:05 AM |

And so it ends. Campbell doesn't play here anymore so this debate is putrid and stupid. Very few people outside of you care what Campbell does now. You're like that idiot yesterday still trying to argue for Brandon Lloyds excellence after he had 1 good game. Let it go, he's gone, move on.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 17, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I see no ads...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Let Moss or AA run a fly, just to keep the defense honest...

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 17, 2010 10:19 AM
-----------------------------------
agreed...we should try to go deep..I say we activate Banks just to send him on a fly route...make the defense think they'll get beat deep at least...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Only pabrian would roll up here, flaunt Jason Campbell's 69.7 passer rating in a loss, and act like we were wrong and he was right.

The idiocy of it is so idiotic you don't even know how to start to respond...

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino

You first.

Posted by: TheCork | September 17, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@ zjfr2, McNabb's game was very similar to what JC17 might have done. Dropped passes are no excuse, because there were a lot of drops last year.

The main difference is the defense actually scored points this game, which didn't happen EVER last year.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 17, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Take your JC love elsewhere, we've all thankfully moved on.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 17, 2010 11:12 AM |

Please stop feeding this retards Jason Campbell lust. He's living in the past and dragging you with him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 17, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Take your JC love elsewhere, we've all thankfully moved on.

Posted by: zjfr2

oh no, so it begins NOT so it ends. I've been putting up with the hate for years, now it's my turn

the offense sucked and amounted 6 points "the new soupster" took off running with guys open downfield and threw ducks when he could've run for it.

you looked up Campbells stats and typed 'em WOW, not that impressive but a better rating than the NEW SOUPSTER

facts are facts, karma is karma

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 17, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

One would think or hope that he would just go wack-off on some Raider fan board and leave us all in peace...guess not.

But pabrian is far and away the stupidest poster I've ever encountered up here.

And considering the collective stupidity of our bunch, that is saying something.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

facts are facts, karma is karma

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:20 AM |

...and you're a blithering moron. Why don't you head on over to a Raiders board where you can continue to fondle Campbell's nuts with people who actually give a damn. Campbell was mediocre...that is all.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

facts are facts, karma is karma

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

and stupid is stupid

go be a raider fan then

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

nope, to late. the haters have fueled my fire for the next 12 decades. read it and weep

the NEW SOUPSTER sucked last week looke old and will be in Minn next year, enjoy the fast start and slow finish

zorn-ahan sucks too

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I think everyone should take a breath and let the offense gel...i mean its new for all the players and thats why it look a little out of sink...and the defense as well...no one should expect us to be very good staticiscally early in the season..so for now W's are more important(as always)..I say if we are still not scoring and people are running on us at Holloween then we are done..so take the week 1 victory and the week 2 victory that i'm predicting and enjoy. this team will come together very soon.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2

I don't take requests, sorry

go drink 20 more gallons of kewl aid

r u going to root for Minn next year when mcNabb bails?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Now that's funny. 3 posts by 3 different people at the exact same time refering Pa Brian The Senile to the Raiders board. HA. Here's a stat that actually matters for you Pa :

Jason Campbell L
Donovan McNabb W

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 17, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4

true

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

pabrian2003, homers are still in the honeymoon phase (although how quickly they embraced a division rival's QB is impressive).

History says the coaches and QBs may change, but the team identity remains: a team led by its defense that struggles to score points on offense.

Let that trend continue for a few more games, and see how fast some of these same RI posters start evaluating college QBs to figure out who we should draft next year.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 17, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Jason campbell debates...Really?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

facts are facts, karma is karma

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

You are a total moron. I know this exercise is wasted on you, but out of pity for your stupidity I'm going to try to help you with this anyways.

Think logcially here.

Just because DMac did not have a good game, it does not logically follow that Jason Campbell is better or is the answer or plays well or deserves more chances.

This is what we call a "non-sequitir". It does not follow.

Especially damning to your irrational thinking is the fact that Jason Campbell also had a sucky game, and his team lost, and he performed in the consistent mediocre fashion that we all witnessed here for 50+ starts.

Bascially, all that you have shown us with your comparative passer ratings is that BOTH Dmac AND JC suck.

But by showing us that DMac also sucked, does NOT negate the point that Jason Campbell ALSO sucks, because it is logically possible for BOTH of them to suck.

DOes this make sense to you?

Is that the point that you were trying to make?

If not, what exactly is your point??

Do you have a rational point to make??

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mac2j | September 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley is hopeful for offensive improvement vs. Texans

Raise your hand and share a bit 'o crow with me if, in the past 6 months, you've posted that the Redskins should trade CC for picks.

Be honest, 'cuz a lot of folks did.

I did.

And I'm glad they didn't.

Now, where's that salt and plate o' crow....

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 11:30 AM

It's also possible that neither sucks, but the talent around them is subpar. You left that possibility out.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 17, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mac2j | September 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Good gracious, I hope we aren't offering that.

Are you making this up? Or do you have a link?

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I can feel myself getting stupider reading Pa Brians crap...I gotta go.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 17, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Alan4 & pabrian2003: Awww how cute, you two are defending each other.

Alan4, serious question. Do you think JC would have led us to 6 points against Dallas? I'm talking how the flow of the game went, not if Dallas was up 28-0 and JC does his patented garbage time stats.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:26 AM
----------------------------------------
pabrian you should change your handle to peabrain..your JC debate is old and played..and why do you think McNabb will leave for Minn. just because of the coach..who'll be fired after the season for kissing Farve's azz?...the Vikings are done..they put too much into Favre and if they couldn't do it last year when they had a better team and were healthy..they wont do it this year...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mac2j | September 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Link? Where are you hearing this?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 17, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

beans,

Fair enough. But given Kelly's history I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place. I know they have him now, but drafting him in the 2nd round, the same round they drafted another WR, a few picks after they drafted another pass catcher -- seemed a bit risky. But he's here now and they should make it work.

Only it's year 3 and I haven't seen nothing other than a meaningless 80 yard catch in week 17. It isn't like he's having trouble learning the play book (Thomas) or lacks drive or focus (Davis). It's a health issue with Kelly. You can coach up and instill a lot of things. Injury proneness ain't one of 'em.

True about them not throwing to many people over all. But Armstrong did get two looks. That's two more looks than Thomas and Davis combined, regardless of 'why' they couldn't get on the field. If Shanahan is going to play the best guys regardless of age or draft pick, then you have to believe that these guys (Thomas and Davis) are seriously lacking something and leaving a lot to be desired.

Like I said though earlier though: I hope they ALL can get it together. It's a passing league and these guys are pass catchers. Look at the Saints or the Colts. No shortage of receivers with those teams and they've been at the top in passing offense the last 2, 3 years.

-----------------------------------------------------

I can't believe a) someone is still up here sulking over the loss of Jason Campbell and b) that they're actually trying to use a QB rating from ONE game, the FIRST game at that as an argument that Campbell is just as good as, if not better than McNabb. Just simply inane.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

zorn-ahan sucks too

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Couple points:
-He won't be in Minn next year, cause Favre is never leaving. The day he retires is the day he croaks in the ice bath after a game in the year 2036
-Why the love for Campbell? Did he come visit you in the hospital when you were sick little boy??? How are you feeling now? Hope preschool is going good for you this year.
-There is no such thing as zornahan. Shanahan, as pronounced by us adults, has only been here less than a year, and he's already put his stamp on this team. What aging, over the hill superstar that is milking this team with their overpriced contract is still on the team? Don't say Haynesworth, that's Cerrato and Snyder's fault for blowing their loads on a diva with big tits.
-Finally, I'd say go to the Black Hole, but I know you are currently there now, and I don't mean the endzone in the Colosium, I mean up Campbell's azz.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4

true

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 11:27 AM |

WRONG. JC holds the ball way too long and then when he invariably gets sacked, fumbles.

Really no comparison can be made here outside of soups.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"We're offering San Diego DT and MK and next years 2nd rnd pick for VJ .... think they'll bite?"

Why would they take MK and DT when they have P Crayton and M Floyd to go with A Gates/Sproles?

I think they'll swallow before laighing at that trade.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | September 17, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't attempting to lay out all the possibilities.

It's also possible that both QBs and the players around them are fine, and the coaching sucks.

My point was to show that it isn't possible that his illustration rationally gets him to the conclusion he is suggesting which is that the Redskins made some kind of mistake by dumping JC and bringing on DMac.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Fearless predictions:

Arian Foster = 58 yards rushing

Brian Orakpo = Two sacks

Chris Cooley = 100+ yards receiving

Santana Moss = 200+ yards receiving

Clinton Portis = 55 yards rushing

Donavan McNabb = 300+ yards passing, 45 yards rushing

Final score = Washington 28, Houston 7

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 17, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 11:35 AM

Last year... Cooley out, Portis out, Betts out, most of the starting O-line out.... JC leads the Skins to a 6-0 lead in Week 11 against Dallas, DESPITE Suisham missing his first TWO field goals of the year.

Gurlz score a TD in the 4th quarter to win 7-6.

No defensive TDs for the Skins, and the kicker misses 2 FGs including a 39 yarder.

Yeah, I do beleive JC would have led the offense to at least 6 points.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Sh*t guys!!!! Really? A Jason Campbell debate?

Think I'll go do some work and surf other sites for awhile. Since you guys are so indulged in a debate over a QB who isn't here anymore. WTF?!?!?! While you all are at it feel free to toss in:

Shuler, Humphries, Gannon, Green, Johnson, Frerotte, Schroeder, Banks, Matthews, Wuerffel, Brunell and George for sh*ts and giggles.

Discussing the processes of photosynthesis or dry rot would be more engaging and entertaining than Jason Campbell talk at this point. FU_K DUDES! Let it go. Besides the dude you all are arguing with is just trying to stir the sh*t pot.

It's like getting into debates with Albert_Haynesworth. It's pointless. Logic and rationality doesn't exist.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Why the f*ck are we talking about Jason Campbell? Maybe we can debate the effectiveness of Todd Collins or Jordan Palmer while we're at it. How about Gibran Hamden? I thought we were set years back with Brad Johnson before the deal was made to bring in "The Mustache".

"That leadership stuff...that's all overrated." - Jeff "Pornstache" George.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 17, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell just e-mailed to say that even he knows one game vs. three seasons is a stupid comparison.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 17, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

why do my comments continuosly get reviewed when there is not a swear word in them and they are not directly insulting anyone else on this blog, minus a low blow to Vic for his retarded diary entries...

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 17, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

You mean Poopy_McPoop.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to engage in JC debates, but it's silly to blame him for the offense's failings last year.

Full disclosure: I have not fully embraced the "face of the Philadelphia Eagles" over the past decade.

Until McNabb proves himself in a Skins uni, to me he's just another Deion Sanders in the making.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 17, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

repost from yesterday on the OL play from Sunday Night. If you didn't read it, I highly recommend it.

btw..ITA pabrain

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 17, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

You mean Poopy_McPoop.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 11:57 AM

Dang it monk...hess is AH...you'll see!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Arian Foster=Timmy Smith? Anyone else notice the holes this guy had to run through? Colts usually don't have to worry about stopping the run with Peyton slicing opposing defenses up and leaving the opponent with no other option but to start slinging the ball around.

Posted by: Spanglerg | September 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

You don't have to love soup to hate that trade. I think the real point to be made here is that we could have kept soup and the second round draft pick(Nate Allen) and still scored no offensive TDs.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Beeps Peeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 17, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I supported Campbell while he was here and could see that the lack of protection for him was a big part of the problem, but he never displayed the one huge trait that I was always pulling for him to show: Leadership.

McNabb showed more leadership just in preseason than Campbell showed in his entire tenure with the Redskins. Even if the offense struggles for a little while as it gets going, it won't be rudderless, and that right there is a marked difference between this offense and the offenses of the past several seasons.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 17, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who he is, I just like busting balls.
How do I know YOU aren't Poopy or Haynesworth?

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I pretty sure the are going to pass deep more than last week cuz texans don't have good cb or safties...and I think they going to run alot of screens...

Posted by: truko213 | September 17, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse