Chris Cooley tried to play through his concussion

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley experienced vision problems and was "just a little slow" after suffering a concussion against the Indianapolis Colts, Cooley said in a radio interview Monday night.

During his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan's The LaVar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes, Cooley discussed the lingering effects of the concussion that occurred in the first half of the Colts' 27-24 victory Sunday night at FedEx Field. Cooley continued to play after halftime but removed himself from the game between the third and fourth quarters.

"I didn't want to be hurt at all. I didn't want to accept it," Cooley said. "It was one of those deals where I had a concussion, but it was mild enough that I was never out of it at all. I remember everything. I know what was going on, I knew what was going on at the time. Kind of messed up my peripheral vision, and just kind of made me slow."

The concussion occurred on a hit Cooley absorbed in the second quarter, he said. Cooley previously said he suffered three concussions while a standout at Utah State, "and in the past, I don't remember anything. I was totally there yesterday. I remember every part of the game. I remember the plays.

"I had a hit in the second quarter ... you kind of feel like it's a little bit of a bell ringer. It was right before half and I came off. I came off the field and took a breath and thought, 'Wow.' I went into halftime and kinda had the idea that I could come back out, get moving around a little bit and feel okay."

Although he passed the concussion tests administered by team medical personnel, the seven-year veteran "started to get more and more of a headache, and I was a little bit slow," he said. "I went over to our trainers." Cooley eventually took himself out.

Cooley said he will undergo a CAT scan Tuesda. He also is scheduled to meet with a concussion specialist at some point this week, according to Coach Mike Shanahan.

"You've got to wait until you have no symptoms for at least two days before you can do anything," said Cooley, who had five receptions for 37 yards against the Colts. "I could practice Thursday if I didn't have symptoms tomorrow."

Cooley hopes to play Sunday against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field. The two-time Pro Bowler made the right move in leaving Sunday night's game, he said.

"I was slow on the field. I felt like stuff was happening around me way faster than I was happening," Cooley said. "It just got to the point where I felt like I wasn't helping the team to be out there. And I definitely wasn't helping myself."

By Jason Reid  | October 18, 2010; 7:07 PM ET
Categories:  Chris Cooley
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: 'Pretty good chance' Haynesworth won't be traded
Next: Rex Grossman looking forward to his return to Chicago

Comments

I expect a win in Donovan McNabb's hometown this Sunday

Posted by: Vicc | October 18, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Trying to play through an injury is for fools.

With all due respect, as soon as he started feeling a little light-headed, Cooley should have excused himself from the sideline, changed into his civies, and headed upstairs to the owner's box for drinks, desserts and cigars with Little Danny and Fat Albert.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 18, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Not that big of a dropoff if Cooley doesn't play. Davis is more than capable.

Posted by: dcwun | October 18, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Not that big of a dropoff if Cooley doesn't play. Davis is more than capable.

Posted by: dcwun | October 18, 2010 8:21 PM

This is true. You give up a bit on blocking, but it's not like the dropoff from Williams to Heyer. Or Shanahan to Zorn.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 18, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

on Dhall coverage on the garcon td. what the hell. i play safety on my varsity football team and know some things on corner. #1 is think pass first. #2 play on their inside and stay over top. why play him on his outside shoulder and even with him. if hes goin vertical and dhall is on the outside manning will make that thro 90% of the time. if your on his inside, make manning make a difficult throw to garcons outside shoulder which is a 20% completion rate. and as a corner, the big play WILL HAPPEN. the idea is to make it happen as little as possible. terrible play by dhall in my opinion

Posted by: redskinfreak26a | October 18, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep

Probably the only position where we have that luxury.

Torain ran hard yesterday. Why do the coaches keep running sweeps for him? He looks like a newborn giraffe trying to run east and west. Run the kid north and south please!

Posted by: dcwun | October 18, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | October 18, 2010 8:51 PM |

Yes please.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Overall I gotta say I was pretty encouraged by the level of fubbal related convo today. Only a few little RI skirmishes and I didn't see a single person respond to the peabrains. I'd say that's progress...wierd.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Yeah, but you know this AH stuff is nuts now. A month and a half in and the same out of shape and practice excuses are being used. Its getting old and even the biggest Shanny supporters have to admit that.

I've never seen a coach that can turn a tragic death in to basically an unexcused absence. Football or not, that's horrible and the rest of AH's teammates are carefully sounding off a bit.

Missed most of the stuff earlier but I know there was more than enough chatter about this......

Posted by: dcwun | October 18, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder: Why am I paying $100 mil for a guy to sit and watch the game?

The Shanwow: The truth, I don't like it that he's making more than me.. sorry, than I. Plus I inherited this guy.. I'm building this thing in my own image with borderline guys so I can get all the credit.. you know, like Kory Lichtisface.

Snyder: Look shorty with the Napoleonic complex, I can identify, but the idea is to win games, not satisfy your massive ego or rule the world.. play the man already!

Posted by: iubiquity | October 18, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

See, it's people like this who really have zero clue what's really going on but just love to come up here and b!tch that I was talking about earlier. Not really a fan, just want to bash anything and everyone associated with the team any chance they get. I guess it makes them feel smart or big. No one really cares what you think when this is all you have to say.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I however choose to look at the positives. For instance, an awesome running back.

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 18, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder: Why am I paying $100 mil for a guy to sit and watch the game?

Posted by: iubiquity | October 18, 2010 9:22 PM |

Let's examine this in the interest of fairness shall we? Right off the bat we start out with a completely false statement: $100 million. First off, he's been paid about a third of that. Second off, he's been fined and missed out on paychecks for skipping workouts. 3rd, by missing workouts and camp he nullified a portion of the end of his contract thus making it NOT worth $100 million.

2nd: Yes there are some borderline players Lichtenlkwfow, Ma'ake, Carriker (playing a little better than borderline). But to say he's remaking the team with borderline players isn't really telling the story is it? T. Williams-not drafted to be borderline; Jammal Brown, 2 time probowler also not picked up to be borderline; D McNabb, definitely NOT borderline. So your statement about making this thing himself with borderline guys so he can take all the credit is shortsighted at best and just trying to be an ass at worst.

3) I'm pretty sure that you are NOT Mike Shanahan so any "insight" from you into how his mind works is pure speculation at best and, again, assinine at worst.

4) "I inherited this guy." He inherited a lot of guys...

I'm sure you thought you were just being "funny" but you hardly suceeded and only came out making yourself look like a bitter whiner.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Here's what John Keim wrote about Haynesworth:

5. The Redskins really missed Albert Haynesworth. Jeremy Jarmon was not a good matchup vs. the Colts; he got driven out of his gap too many times. And Vonnie Holliday is a bit small for this matchup. They really could have used Haynesworth’s combination of size and speed. It would have given them someone who could have penetrated some gaps and maybe disrupted more plays. That said, I’m sure the Colts would have allowed him to penetrate to a side and hit them the other way. Still, he would have held his ground better than what the others were able to do. I wasn’t surprised that he was inactive; he’s someone who hasn’t yet learned all the nuances of this defense and he missed a day of work. Didn’t think he’d have a good grasp of the game plan. But he was missed.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Five-Thoughts-Colts-27-Redskins-24-105155954.html#ixzz12lUVtYkR

Personally, I don't think we really know enough about what's going on to have an opinion like DCWun's. Yeah, its "getting old" but whose fault is that? I really don't have much sympathy with Haynesworth after the way he's treated the Redskins. And I still have a lot of confidence in Shanahan both for what he accomplished in Denver and for what he's done since he's gotten here.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 18, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"I'm building this thing in my own image with borderline guys so I can get all the credit.. you know, like Kory Lichtisface."

Right, because god knows if Lichtensteiger wasn't playing, Derrick Dockery would be the guy we'd all be praising for turning this team around.

smh...

Posted by: psps23 | October 18, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Landry be aware this weekend. Head shots get you suspended. I know he hasn't been guilty of this yet this year but if anyone is gonna do it it's you buddy. You are too important to get suspended. Keep going for the ribs and you'll be fine.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Remove the metal from the helmets. Metal is not needed to protect the head. Look at bike helmets. Current metal helmet is being used as a weapon.,.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 18, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

dhall sucks!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | October 18, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

That hilarious! I come to this site when I find time for a few laughs. Every time I do I see you here, usually in some tedious argument with someone about nothing. Clearly too much time on your hands.

Get a life you poor soul.. get a woman.. or man.... inflatable girl.. buy a dog.. something, cause clearly you have built up resentment festering deep inside. Maybe you were you abused as a child... bullied in school.. try to smile for awhile. Be nice to people. You'll get more respect and feel better about yourself.

Posted by: iubiquity | October 18, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I need tenn d to score! One time me baby!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 18, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how to feel about this. The rule has good intentions, but is open to so much interpretation. For example, would the hit LBF had on Addai fall into any category that constitutes a potential suspension.

============================================

League will suspend first-time offenders for head shots

Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2010 10:36 PM ET

Yes, the league is taking the issue of helmet-to-helmet hits seriously. How seriously? As of Sunday, a suspension could come for a first offense, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson confirmed that the new rule will be announced within 48 hours after hits on Sunday that Anderson called "disturbing."

"We can't and won't tolerate what we saw Sunday," Anderson said Monday, per Mortensen. "We've got to get the message to players that these devastating hits and head shots will be met with a very necessary higher standard of accountability. We have to dispel the notion that you get one free pass in these egregious or flagrant shots."

The new rule apparently won't apply only to helmet-to-helmet hits, but it will also encompass "devastating hits" and "head shots."

Curiously, the league has yet to reiterate its message from three years ago that players committing flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits will be ejected. Since the new approach was adopted, no player has been ejected for a flagrant helmet-to-helmet hit.

Still, the league is moving in the right direction. But we hope the league doesn't stop by merely beefing up the words on paper; the policy needs to be applied zealously, and other methods for improving player safety should be explored.

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Posted by: iubiquity | October 18, 2010 10:34 PM |

What's hilarious is I used to be just like you. When I didn't have an argument or agree I would resort to personal attacks just like you are doing. I understand that you're upset that you were called out for your absolutely baseless rant so I'll go ahead and let you have your childish tirade. I hope you feel better. Next time come with something that resembles a coherent argument and we'll stick to football. Thanks for playing and have a lovely evening.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Man I'm such a damn hypocrit. Oh well, trying to turn over a new leaf on this here blog. Get back to the olden days. Ah the good old days. Man I'm a hypocrit.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

What the heck was that touchdown dance that Chris Johnson did?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 |

Just trying to help. Take my advice.. you may be a blog addict.

Posted by: iubiquity | October 18, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Just trying to help. Take my advice.. you may be a blog addict.

Posted by: iubiquity | October 18, 2010 11:31 PM |

Yea, thanks for the help. I feel like that old Billy Idol song "Blogging with myself." That's it right?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Chirp...chirp...chirp...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 18, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

OK!

So...we can fold this sucker up for the night.

Posted by: edvar | October 19, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Missed all the jibba jabba in the wake of a tough loss so I'll just throw in my .02 a little late.

-It's been said a million times already, but Rogers' hands are officially a liability. Peyton Manning won't give you a heckuva lot of chances at making him look bad and he gave us plenty in the 1st quarter. Edward Scissorhands would have made the first pick and even DHall would have made the 2nd. Then it trickles down to one of the few guys who can make an impact play, Kareem Moore. I pretty much knew we lost that game when you leave that many potential impact plays on the field that early.

-The only thing that irks me about the defense in that game is that we couldn't stop Joseph f-ing Addai. Manning is gonna get his, but Addai routinely gets less than 3 ypc, yet had a drive that made him look like Eric Dickerson.

-Just hanging with the Colts shows some moxy and I chalk this up as another moral victory. However, we're soon approaching the point where moral victories have to become REAL victories if we have any real shot at the playoffs. Woulda been nice to steal this one against the Colts, but if we at least split the next two games we should be OK heading into the stretch run.

I hope...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 19, 2010 5:07 AM | Report abuse

Time to trade for Willis McGahee. I think Torrain is better served as a backup RB at this point. He played well, but he isn't ready to become a starting RB. With McGahee starting and Torrain occasionaly spelling for him, our running game will be much improved. McGahee wants out and we can get him. Trade Albert for McGahee and a 5th rounder. I think Albert wants out as mush as Shanny and would be willing to got ot a team that plays the 3-4 defense

Posted by: BacktoGlory | October 19, 2010 5:08 AM | Report abuse

From Tim Sullivan, Charger sportswriter, on SD losing to Sea, Det, KC and StL (combined 15-49 in 2009) this season: Going 0-for-4 against these guys is like having sand kicked in your face by Justin Bieber.

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

Don't knock the Bieb. i hear he just kicked some 12 year old's azz.

Posted by: TheCork | October 19, 2010 5:46 AM | Report abuse

Not that big of a dropoff if Cooley doesn't play. Davis is more than capable.

Posted by: dcwun | October 18, 2010 8:21 PM

Posted by: beep-beep

The one, great delusional belief on this board, repeated at seemingly every position, is the guy on the bench is as good as or better than the guy who is playing.

Posted by: TheCork | October 19, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BacktoGlory | October 19, 2010 5:08 AM

That's it? Your best idea? "Albert wants out as mush"? He's gone through all this BS to get traded to another 3-4 team? Why would a team with a 3-4 be willing to take a risk on Albert Haynesworth?

Haynesworth will be here for ten more games. Then he'll be traded in the off season. And he won't be traded to a team with a 3-4 defense. None of those teams wants to buy the headaches that AH is offering.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 19, 2010 5:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep

Posted by: TheCork | October 19, 2010 5:50 AM

PWD? Insomnia? Alzheimer's?

Which part of that sentence suggests that Heyer is "as good as or better than" Williams? Or, for that matter, that Davis is "as good as or better than" Cooley?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 19, 2010 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 19, 2010 5:07 AM |

good morning brown,

good post, but are you talking about the FS position that KMoore plays or KMoore himself when you state "one of the few guys who can make an impact play" ? I believe that he's in over his head in the NFL, if his play after the injury is used as a barometer. Dude is stuggling to put it mildly.

I'm thinking we need d-linemen with their hands in the dirt, whether it's 3 or 4 down lineman. This ameoba defense gives up to many rushing yards.

Posted by: hessone | October 19, 2010 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BacktoGlory | October 19, 2010 5:08 AM

Dude, you gotta be batsh*t crazy to come on here with this...first of all, McGahee = Portis. We already have an old, washed up RB. No need in trading for someone else's.

Second, AH isn't going anywhere unless there's a 2nd round pick involved. I don't agree with that mindset; it's not like we traded for the guy and whatever we get for him won't change the fact that AH was a bad investment. I think we should take the 4th rounder the Titans are offering and move on, but Shanahan isn't doing that. So unless something drastic happens in the next 8 hours, count on AH donning burgundy and gold for 10 more games.

Beep kinda outlined the rest of what's wrong with your trade proposal, so I'll just co-sign that and move on.

Hopefully, Cooley's concussion isn't a big deal...I'd hate to re-live all the "Davis is great, trade Cooley" bullsh*t...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 19, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 19, 2010 6:42 AM |

trade AH for anything at this point, he can't even hang with his teammates on the sideline during the game like CP did, what a waste of oxygen.

I'll go back to the class of 2008 and what little impact that draft class has made to this date. FDavis might do well with CCooley out, but where has he been since his 62 yd catch and run ? Hope he can repeat last years performance when CCooley was injured, but we're still waiting on something, anything.

Posted by: hessone | October 19, 2010 6:55 AM | Report abuse