Posted at 4:30 PM ET, 12/15/2010

Chris Cooley wants the ball, but knows how to ask

By Barry Svrluga

In Sunday's loss to Tampa Bay, Redskins tight end Chris Cooley didn't have a catch until the fourth quarter and was targeted by quarterback Donovan McNabb a season-low four times - half his average of 8.1 targets entering the game. So Cooley is spending this week walking a bit of a tight-rope - trying to let offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan know how badly he wants the ball, without coming off as a malcontent.

"I actually just talked to Kyle about it a little bit," Cooley said. "I wasn't targeted but it wasn't that it was scripted and game-planned for me to not be targeted. I had a lot of opportunities where I was open. It's frustrating for me to run routes and be open, but on a lot of those routes Santana [Moss] made plays. We had one that could've been a big play and the ball didn't quite get to me. So I had a lot of opportunities in the game plan and it just didn't work out."

Cooley realizes any perceived complaints about not being involved in the game plan could be assailed. No tight end has been targeted more this year. Cooley has been thrown to 101 times, five more than Dallas's Jason Witten. His 62 catches trail only Witten (72) among tight ends.

"Always as a player you want to find ways to get you the ball," Cooley said. "And we talked about that a little bit too. Try to keep going. But I've had a lot of catches this year. I'm not going to go back and complain to anyone about not catching balls. I might give a persuasive nudge."

Cooley will have to turn it on over the final three weeks to match his career high of 83 catches, set in 2008.

"I'm feeling more and more confident in my role in this offense and my role on this team as we move forward," Cooley said. "It's unfortunate it's not moving toward the playoffs right now, but I'm feeling more and more comfortable."

By Barry Svrluga  | December 15, 2010; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  Chris Cooley
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan admires Hunter Smith's honesty
Next: Redskins hold rare practice on artificial turf

Comments

Shazaam

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 15, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Which one was this, I didnt get the game on until the 2nd quarter.

What happened?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 15, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Other Players who have admirable 'character' are, kemo, carriker, Moore, r Williams, Austin, bidwell, gano, sunberg, hicks, heyer, brown, lichey, rabach, torain, k Williams, young, Bryant.

The rest of the guys can actually play

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 15, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The Jets suspended Sal Alosi indefinitely after discovering he ordered Jets players toform a wall on the sideline during the Fins game. None of the other coaches knew anything about it and Alosi acted entirely on his own...

...really he did...

...it was all him...

...Rex Ryan, the special teams coach, no one knew anything...

...they pinky swear...

Posted by: p1funk | December 15, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

...it's like December draft talk.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 15, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Trade Chris Cooley for a starting same aged NT!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 15, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see our UCLA rookie get more reps in at TE, blocking or catching. L. Paulsen could shape up to be a beast, being around Cooley & Davis. We have depth at TE to run some sweet sets. Just have to start using our full arsenal of weapons... I always get pumped when our younger players take the field. It's like, "Okay, show us why you're wearing that jersey." I like Cooley, but I think Davis, and Paulsen could share those reps... even outside the realm of TE's those targets could be going elsewhere, AA, S. Moss, and I would absolutely love to see Austin get some targets, along with BB in a DJax-type role.

Posted by: WishboneJr | December 15, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

breaking newz:

Mel Kiper stated there is no OLineman worth a top 10 pick in this year's draft.

Just like I was telling Nate earlier.

So, that leaves us with QB/DLine/CB as our only choice in the 1st round next year. I'm not sure about LBs. No way we're going RB/WR.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 15, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Trade Chris Cooley for a starting same aged NT!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 15, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Trade Ladell Betts for a second round pick!

Posted by: p1funk | December 15, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WishboneJr | December 15, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I like the way you think.

Do that and give it to Torain 25 times.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 15, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Been thrown to five more times than Witten and has ten less catches....Hmmm

Posted by: bones21 | December 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

breaking newz:

Mel Kiper stated there is no OLineman worth a top 10 pick in this year's draft.

Just like I was telling Nate earlier.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 15, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Kiper is a hack.

Didn't he also say Clausen was a top 5 talent?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

So you are saying that you would have fired Hunter if we made the kick and won the game?

I believe that one!!!

Posted by: mornindew | December 15, 2010 4:41 PM

Come on, this isn't that difficult.

If you're Shanahan, you've been thinking lately, "Hunter isn't punting as well as we'd like, but he's doing a good job as a holder, and that's important."

And then you have the mishandled snap at the end of the Bucs game (and possibly poor ball placement on other FGs/XP?), and now the one thing that the guy was doing well enough for you to keep him around, he's suddenly not doing well anymore.

You now have no more reason to keep him around, so you cut him and get someone else who you think will do it better.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 15, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

REPOST

Damn. Just the other day I listed your name among the good posters that we'd lost. It was a typo, of course. I was trying to type Redboat.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 15, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

You've got me wrong b-b, I was actually RedGoat, aka "Graham Canoe" the Redshins kicker whose big foot drags the ball outside the posts every time.

Dan, no worries, I've had that coming from you all year. And as it's the consolation who cares anyway!!

I'll try to drop back in tomorrow. Now I have to go meet 'the man'. Ciao bella!

Posted by: Redcoat | December 15, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Kiper is a hack....Didn't he also say Clausen was a top 5 talent?

Kiper is a hack, no question.

But this just isn't the year to snag a lineman with a top 10 pick, no matter what folks post.

The upcoming draft as q-backs, receivers, linebackers, de-ends, and d-tackles.

You gotta take your best pick from what's offered, you can't demand from draft what it doesn't have in terms of talent.

The draft year for lineman was '09--and we took Orakpo and Jarmon in rounds 1 and 3.

How's that workin' for ya'?

But quality lineman can be had in rounds 2-5.

Jahri Evans, g, Saints, for example was a 5th rounder.

Logan Mankins, g, Pats, was a 7th rounder.

The redskins would do well to increase the number of mid round picks it has via the trade of vets that some other team might want.

A 4th or 5th for AH, for example, is sorta what I'm talking about.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Trade Chris Cooley for a starting same aged NT!

I don't know about trading C Cooley (but it does look like TEs of his ilk are fairly abundant in most college programs anymore).

But if a guy named J Ratliff, NT, is a FA this Spring, I'd back up the money truck and snag'em wid da quickness.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...but you know we go. I only cherry pick support that supports my theory....

This year's off season Theory - we won't draft any oline in the 1st round....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 15, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Been thrown to five more times than Witten and has ten less catches....Hmmm

Posted by: bones21 | December 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The first thing that came to mind was: I know he has had a few drops this year but didn't think it was anywhere near that bad.

However, thinking about it the targeted count probably includes a lot of uncathable balls where McNabb has thrown it at his feet, way above his head or behind him.

I used to laugh at Eagles fans for the way they would whine on and on about him skipping the ball off the turf to his receivers' shoes. Now I'm starting to believe they were low balling it. It's even more infuriating than Jason Campbell's dying swan attempts at sliding.

I am desperately hoping we can trade McNabb to the Vikings or Cardinals. Hopefully we trade him for veterans in positions of need. It is hard to believe we will get a second or even third rounder for him and low round draft picks seems to be massively over-valued in most trades.

I'd rather swap McNabb for a comparable veteran guard or nose tackle than a low round draft pick.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | December 15, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Mark Ingram would look good in a skins uni. I'd rather they got a NT, QB, or OL if available but if not I wouldn't complain about Ingram. Especially if he turns into an AP caliber back.

Posted by: skinswest | December 15, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Me thinks this week's Cowboy game plays out similar to the Giants game. Cowboys come out running the ball down the Redskins throats and then cruise to a lopsided non-competitive victory.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 15, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

A 4th or 5th for AH, for example, is sorta what I'm talking about.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 5:12 PM |
--------------

sweet yeshua, that's music too my ears. more, more, more...

Posted by: hessone | December 15, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

The most exciting play in the Skins playbook is Cooley catching a 7-yard pass over the middle, struggling to get all the parts moving in the same direction as he turns to head up field, finally going down a few yards later while holding the ball out for an extra yard. The crowd goes wild, the band plays, and a million people sitting at home feel they could have played pro football.

Posted by: josettes | December 15, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Well…..What did Jr say?....Maybe it was like this…Cooley: “Kyle I want the ball more”: Kyle “ Oh Ok…I’ll tell the paper WP to write a flipping article about this conversation…!” Just play to win.. Next time ask him how the Redskins are going to get the more points than the other team and win!

Posted by: stoneface1 | December 15, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

^21^

Posted by: stoneface1 | December 15, 2010 11:26 PM

AGREEDED. Stop pulling a T.O and keep playing. You said MOSS made plays on those same plays that you were open. What happened to TEAM. I guess TEAM only applies when trying to discredit Albert Haynesworth.

D. Hall can say he's going to cover whoever he wants because it's his defense.

Cooley can cry for the ball and put pressure on Donovan. I didn't hear MOSS crying when Cooley was catching all the passes in previous years.

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | December 16, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Just SAY IT, COOLEY!

DONOVAN MCNABB SUCKS!!!!

I've seen less BOUNCE PASSES in a BASKETBALL GAME!!

Posted by: filmchis | December 16, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Cooley can see the handwriting on the wall that whenever this team gets good, IF, he will be long gone. He's trying to boost his stats for the inevitable trip out of town.

Sorry Chris hope you invested wisely.

Posted by: 54465446 | December 16, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse