No detail yet on Chris Cooley's injury

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley, knocked out of Sunday night's game against the Indianapolis Colts with a concussion, appeared briefly in the team's locker room Monday morning but declined to comment in detail, saying he would need more tests to determine the extent of the injury.

Cooley's teammates, though, were well aware of the tight end's condition - and how sensitive an issue concussions have become in the NFL.

"It's scary, to be honest with you, because you see the ramifications that can come from multiple concussions," fullback Mike Sellers said. "You tend to worry about that. I change my helmet every year. I try to find the newest and best equipment out there considering what I do. I tend to block a lot more. For me, being knocked out a few years ago made me rethink the whole thing."

Cooley had five catches before he headed to the locker room between the third and fourth quarters. Some teammates, though, believed he was hurt long before he went out.

"Apparently, from what I heard, it happened earlier in the game and he kept playing," Sellers said. "My hat's off to him [that] he kept playing. But when you got a concussion, it's something you got to take seriously."

Coach Mike Shanahan may have more on Cooley's condition when he addresses the media at 3 p.m.

By Barry Svrluga  | October 18, 2010; 12:41 PM ET
Categories:  Chris Cooley
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan knew 'something wrong' with Cooley
Next: Redskins gave up a big play at the wrong time

Comments

Hats off, so to speak, for Sellers -- he said exactly what you want them to say. "Yeah, we get it, you're a tough guy and you want to keep playing, which is what we're all taught to do. But the smart thing is to get off the field and stay off the field until you're medically cleared to return."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 18, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

CR 22 will pick off an INT from Jay Cutler next game--and this time the refs will allow it. Book it!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 18, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I've never seen a softer fullback than Sellers in my 10+ decades of watching football.

Posted by: shuckandjive | October 18, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Alan, it would be awfully nice for Carlos to get a pick on Sunday, no doubt about it.

But I'd settle for another last-minute win, on the road against an NFC opponent, an up-and-down team we "should" beat.

Here's hoping for, say, five sacks of Cutler and three INTs.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 18, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

alan, I have tickets to the Elvis Presley concert tomorrow night...the Doors are opening for them....you'd have as good if not better chance of seeing that concert than CR picking one....just saying....when CR and his agent ask for a new contract, I hope that BA/MS put in a tape of Los's greatest drops....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 18, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

shuckandjive, that is really impressive! 10+ decades of watching football... good golly!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 18, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 18, 2010 9:24 AM

Somebody is grumpy this morning!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 18, 2010 9:33 AM |

Goodnight Hessone.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 18, 2010 12:24 PM |

Beep's never told PlayAction what to post...you have though hess haha

Posted by: PlayAction | October 18, 2010 12:36 PM |

axe to grind play ?

Posted by: hessone | October 18, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"I tend to block a lot". Sellars tends to run past potential blocks a lot more than I would like to see, is it by design or is he just missing them?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 18, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 18, 2010 12:52 PM |

dude, just how old are you ?

Posted by: hessone | October 18, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shuckandjive | October 18, 2010 12:46 PM |

You've been watching football for over 100 years?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 18, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

man was ever i hatin' on manning last night... he's unbelievably good.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

Damn right PA.I've been waiting all day for someone to point that out.All I've heard is that AH should've played,McNabb blew the game,CR22 cant catch,Haslett sucks,etc...Maybe,just maybe,we ran into greatness on the wrong night.

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 18, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

so, beep beep already

BUT -- I am not telling anyone what they should do. Just advising them on their options. If you don't like my advice, don't read this post.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 18, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

shuckandjive "I've never seen a softer fullback than Sellers in my 10+ decades of watching football"

Your an idiot if you think Sellers is soft. Your also an idiot if you think you have watched football for 100 years. It's great you have an opinion, it's just too bad that your wrong. If anything, Sellers has been one of our best fullbacks of ALL TIME! Probably the best since Andy Farkas (1938-44). Of course, you should probably know that since you have been watching football for a supposed 10 decades. Once again, your an idiot.

Posted by: skins83 | October 18, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 18, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that could happen. In warm-ups ;) LOL

Posted by: Veretax | October 18, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought I heard Cris Collinsworth say that CR would have been in several Pro Bowls IF he could catch. This guy couldn't catch a cold taking an ice bath in the north pole with the A/C on. I know stick-em isn't allowed , but what about molassas ? Carlos, Please catch something !!!

Posted by: tic24 | October 18, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why they don't run more from the shotgun? In obvious passing situations they still line up under center while DMac is running for his life, I don't get it.

Posted by: potsy536 | October 18, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shuckandjive | October 18, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

----

Ya know, Darrell Green couldn't catch either. In fact, he said "if I could catch, I'd have been a WR." Which, really, no kidding.

Posted by: Section406 | October 18, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

shuckandjive- "Skins 83 Don't take my word for it, ask the guy he's supposed to have been blocking for for the last 10 years. Let me guess, Portis is an idiot."

HA! Your proving my point right there! Portis is the 2nd leading rusher in Redskin history, damn near the 1st! And guess who was blocking for him all those very productive years? That's right, Mike "Pro Bowl" Sellers. Man, it's a shame this message board has fans posting comments that they try to back up with WEAK arguments. Why dont you try to understand football and Redskin history before you post clearly uneducated comments like "Sellers is Weak" and "Ask Portis if he likes Sellers".

Posted by: skins83 | October 18, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I would say you are both right about Sellers. He started out a hungry stud, then got a little comfortable. Then he had his concussion and really was the same guy the last few years. now under Shanahan he seems to have once again found his fire. As for Portis, be serious, Sellers was on the fiel maybe 20% of Clinton's carries. Clinton got his yards on the back of book end all pro tackles for the first 3 years. he really hasn't done that much since.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 18, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

make that "he was NOT the same guy for a few years". Understandable, but Portis was right when he said Mike was not laying out for blocks last year. He has been a wrecking ball this year though so good for him.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 18, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Skins 83 try to see beyond the "flash" of Sellers 5 yard gains where he does that tired jump over move and understand what a fullback in the NFC East is really there for. For Portis to ask coaches to pull Sellers last year I think speaks for itself. But Dbrine is right that he's having a better year this year if we're grading on a curve. Skins 83 I think over time you will come to learn this game.

Posted by: shuckandjive | October 18, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

NateinthePDX
Are you actually in Portland?
Are you a transplant?