Chris Draft joins government reading initiative

As you know, July is a down month in the NFL, with many players squeezing in last-minute vacations before training camp opens. But Redskins linebacker Chris Draft planned to spend his free Tuesday reading to kids.

Draft was slated to attend an event Tuesday morning in conjunction with the Obama administration's United We Serve summer service initiative and Reading Is Fundamental, the nation's largest non-profit literacy organization, designed to keep children active and reading over the summer. Draft was scheduled to read to children from the Columbia Heights Youth Club and Wheaton Woods Elementary School, as well as participate in games and fitness activities. He was scheduled to joined at the event by U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.

It's a subject Draft obviously cares about deeply. He has written his own children's book and, despite not yet having played a game in a Redskins' uniform, he's already shown that he intends to be an active player away from the field.

By Rick Maese  |  July 13, 2010; 10:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins lineman Mike Williams expected to miss season because of blood clots
Next: Daniel Snyder on George Steinbrenner's death

Comments

1st to say I forgot we have Chris Draft...

...and Daunta Robinson.

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Healthy Jon Jansen looks forward to battling for starting spot on Lions' offensive line
Published: Monday, July 12, 2010, 5:00 PM Updated: Monday, July 12, 2010, 10:34 PM

JENISON -- Jon Jansen hasn't felt this good in a decade.

The Detroit Lions right tackle said lingering health concerns about injuries suffered while playing for the Washington Redskins -- a broken right fibula and a badly dislocated ankle in 2007 and a left MCL sprain in 2008 -- are no longer an issue entering his 12th NFL season and second year with the Lions.

"I feel like I'm 24 or 25," said Jansen, 34, who took part Monday morning in the Detroit Lions youth football camp at Jenison High School. "Last year was the first time in a while that I didn't have to have surgery in the offseason. I'm healthy and I'm in great shape. It has been a great offseason for me."

So good, in fact, he seems confident he'll start for the Lions this year.

The former University of Michigan standout was active for 11 games, including two starts, last season after signing with the Lions as a free agent. The Redskins cut him in training camp last summer after 10 seasons.

He is prepared to battle Lions third-year tackle Gosder Cherilus, a 2008 first-round draft pick and a major disappointment thus far, for the full-time job at right tackle when training camp begins July 31.

"I was happy to get some reps with the first team in OTAs," Jansen said. "I'm looking forward to the competition. No question. I want to go into camp and earn a (starting) spot. I want to be the right tackle on this team."

Jansen sees a lot of progress being made up front this summer.

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

4th-

Pat Buchannon not Dunta Robinson..

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 13, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"I feel like I'm 24 or 25," said Jansen, 34,..."

You'll feel that way right up until actual 24 and 25 year old players are coming at you with pads on.

Then, the sand will run to the bottom of your optimism hourglass.

Just like it has done with your career.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65 | July 13, 2010 9:06 AM

The more germane question is how many of your 5-8 year vet are top 10-12 players at their position. I can think of only one for sure (Cooley). There the Halls, McIntoshes, Rogers of the NFL that litter this roster. Solid but unspectacular. I think the second question is who are 2-4 year players are ready for prime time. We've got two there, Orakpo and Davis for sure. That's where the last two years have hurt as a bunch of these players were only relegated to special teams or spot duty and thus still unknowns.

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"I feel like I'm 24 or 25," said Jansen, 34,..."

Jon Jansen, just because you are in detriot, it doesn't mean you have to be lion.

You'll feel young and healthy right up until actual 24 and 25 year old players are coming at you with pads on.

Then, the sand will run to the bottom of your optimism hourglass.

Just like it has done with your career.

Move on, dude, you and A Pierce have careers ahead of you in the media.

I suggest you go join him in retirement.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 13, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"I feel like I'm 24 or 25," said Jansen, 34,..."

Then, the sand will run to the bottom of your optimism hourglass.

Just like it has done with your career.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 13, 2010 10:25 AM
-----------------------------------------
Ouch. Still, even if he does win the starting job, it is only a starting job with the Lions. That's kind of like being the tallest midget.

Something to note: Jansen and Bridges were let go by the Redskins last year and they both ended up starting before the season was over. Meanwhile, the Redskins were trolling the bottom of the barrel for o-linemen at the end of the season. Not saying these guys would have saved the season, but it does make you kind of wonder what Viiny and Zorn were thinking...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Pat Buchannon not Dunta Robinson..

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 13, 2010 10:24 AM

Exactly...They all seem the same.....exact M.O. - Played @ Miami...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2010 10:25 AM

All good points twisi. Hopefully BA can get us back on track.

Posted by: wireman65 | July 13, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I hope we don't have Pat Buchanon on the team ;)

I think you mean Phillip Buchanon, but who's counting, right?

Posted by: stevek20147 | July 13, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Pat Buchannon not Dunta Robinson..

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 13, 2010 10:24 AM

Exactly...They all seem the same.....exact M.O. - Played @ Miami...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 10:33 AM

except dunta played @ South Carolina and signed a six-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons worth $57 million with $22.5 million in guaranteed money and Phillip is on his 5th team going into his 8th year.

But I know what you mean..

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 13, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"The average age in September has got to be more significant that the average age in July.Posted by: wireman65"

Average age of the roster isn't a very important stat in any circumstance. Median age is a shade more relevant, but not much. The average will likely change a couple times during the season as players get injured and replaced (think last year's o-line). But fact is, an 'older' team can still have young healthy players at multiple key positions.

Average age is more important in the offseason when the team evaluates its roster and decides where to concentrate the draft and FA efforts.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 13, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"Teach a kid to read..."

Well...he will be able to read.

In all seriousness, I believe extensive reading as a child is THE key to future professional success.

Posted by: nojunk4me | July 13, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"Teach a kid to read..."

Well...he will be able to read.

Posted by: nojunk4me | July 13, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"Jansen and Bridges were let go by the Redskins last year and they both ended up starting before the season was over."

Jansen only had 2 starts last season, neither in the last 3 games. Altogether he only appeared in 11 of the 16 contests. That's probably why he didn't need surgery and feels so rested.

Bridges, though, turned out to be a playoff starter for Arizona. I don't have any idea why they cut him, because he's a legit two position player in reasonably good health. Then again, Bridges only had 4 starts all season, and probably won't maintain his spot this coming year.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 13, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Who's Chris Draft?

Posted by: skinswest | July 13, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

i take dunta robinson over phillip buchanon every time.

that being said, buchanon is a nice pickup, both for competition at corner and for special teams.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | July 13, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

But I know what you mean..

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 13, 2010 10:39 AM

YEah...Atlanta paid too much for Daunta Robinson.

I hope Pat Buchanan can step it up from his McLaughlin Group weekly perfomances.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse
______

I think we need to hold off on anointing Davis top 10-12 until he plays another season. He had a good half-season last year, but I'd like to see more of a sample size before I'm willing to proclaim him legit.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | July 13, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 10:57 AM

He has lost a little burst, but brings veteran leadership. A trade-off I guess.

Posted by: stevek20147 | July 13, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | July 13, 2010 10:58 AM

I said he's ready for prime time...not a top 10 player at his position. Read it again.

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"Chris Draft joins government reading initiative"

Nice positive thread from the mayor.

This one will be replaced, say, sometime around next Sunday.

And today's Tuesday.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Who's Chris Draft?

Posted by: skinswest | July 13, 2010 10:50 AM

Posted by: stevek20147 | July 13, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse
_______

You're right - sorry. I certainly agree with that characterization.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | July 13, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

This might sound stupid, but who in the he!! is Chris Draft?

Didn't he play for the Falcons or something?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"I believe extensive reading as a child is THE key to future professional success."

This is a point worthy of debate.

Some of us are extremely well-educated, yet earn far less than the chuckle-head low Wunderlic NFL ballplayers whose jerseys we wear.

I tried showing my own kids that being smart was important by riding around the house in a Stephen Hawking endorsed motorized wheelchair and they accused me of acting in poor taste.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 13, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Sad day in baseball...RIP George Steinbrenner.

Posted by: krystal_ball | July 13, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

... but it does make you kind of wonder what Viiny and Zorn were thinking...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------

Actually, it takes all of the wonder out of the equation. Without a doubt, what they were thinking was, 'Dee dee dee'! Translated from their native insectoid wing chirping, of course.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | July 13, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"Daniel Snyder and Mike Shanahan do not own Albert Haynesworth. They personify slave owners, and Albert is a runaway slave."
- Jesse Jackson

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

- Jesse Jackson

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------

Jesse has his moments, but I hope this quote is made up.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | July 13, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

- Jesse Jackson

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2010 11:28 AM
------------------------------------------
One of many problems with this analogy is that Haynesworth sold himself, whereas slaves were sold my someone else. Haynesworth profited. The man is tens of millions dollar richer and is categorized as a slave because the team expects him to live up to the terms of a contract he signed? I really liked Jesse Jackson's "Green Eggs and Ham" recital on Saturday Night Live years ago; however, I think he has really gone down hill since then...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"This might sound stupid, but who....is Chris Draft?"

He'll give us what we would've gotten had we signed L Foote: a vet who knows the 3-4.

You can cross linebacker off your list of positions lacking depth and experience, btw.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 13, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Draft hasn't played in a 3-4 system...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

- Jesse Jackson

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------

Jesse has his moments, but I hope this quote is made up.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | July 13, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

No, he said this about Dan Gilbert and LeBron James, almost to a T.

I thought it would be funny to put it into this context.

Just a joke....sheesh

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Draft hasn't played in a 3-4 system...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 11:45 AM
------------------------------------------

Attached link says you are wrong. He transitioned to a 3-4 when with the Falcons.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

1117, are you serious?

rhino was put into the lineup, then pulled out of the lineup because VC wanted to pimp MWilliams, who then got hurt, and rhino was put back into the lineup.

A good coach finds a way to use both Davis and Cooley. A lousy coach lets one rot on the bench until the other gets hurt.

"maturity issues"...are you serious? Seriously, I need to know if this is serious or not....Davis overslept 1 time, and was known to giggle/laugh...yup...thats maturity issues all right.....given the pathetic offense that the team had compared with those he played on at USC, do you blame him for laughing??

So you're on board with not utilizing the players to fit their strengths, but trying to RAM them into your scheme....

I mean...wow...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Ha ha. That is the funniest thing I have ever read. The GM is telling the coach which OG to play because he wants to pimp one of them. If if that was true which is highly unlikely how is that Zorn's fault that the GM is making him play an older player?

So your whole argument that their is young talent and that it is Zorn's fault is because he did not get Davis enough playing time? Wow. Great argument.

I guess Zorn really stunted Orakpo's growth as well.

You ever think that the coaches play the players that give them the best chance to win? Zorn was a bad coach but I doubt he did not play the younger guys because they were younger. If that was the case Orakpo would have never gotten off the bench.

As far as Age goes:
Saints last year had 3 Oline over 30 but under 32. They had two 34 year old safeties. 1 who did not see the field. They also had Brunell and a long Snapper that were 39. And a fullback that was 32. Take out Brunell and the Long snapper and the average age drops drastically which is why they are 11th this year with essentially the same team coming back.

An older team means you have a very limited window to win before you have to start replacing players. New England is already working on gettin younger by trading guys Seymour for draft picks. He is still a very good player.

When I look at the Skins roster I see a bunch of old guys backed up by a bunch of question marks. With the exception of Orakpo, T Williams, Landry, Cooley, Davis and McIntosh. The young guys on this team have shown nothing to date to warrant any confidence in their ability to step up in the future. The big reason in my mind is that it is because they were mostly poorly evaluated lower round picks by Cerrato. The lack of emphasis on the draft has dug the team into a huge hole. The one time they held onto picks they took two wrs and a TE. They did take Rhino with a 3rd and that was a reach.

Posted by: srobert1117 | July 13, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Draft hasn't played in a 3-4 system...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 11:45 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2010 12:03 PM

I STAND corrected.

Chris Draft is in his 13th year and has played in a 3-4 in ONLY 2 SEASONS WAAAAY BACK IN 2002/2003 AS A WEAKSIDE LB and he will play as an inside LB in a 3-4 for the 1st time ever.......And will lean on his experince from 8 years ago in a different position....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | July 13, 2010 12:13 PM

I can't follow the point you're arguing..what is it? Are you arguing for a Skins complete rebuild?

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I guess Zorn really stunted Orakpo's growth as well.

Posted by: srobert1117 | July 13, 2010 12:13 PM
-------------------------------------------
Zorn had no say over the defense. That was all Blache and Blache did get young players to develop: Chris Horton and Brian Orakpo. I won't mention Tryon and Moore but I think they are coming along nicely as well.

Zorn, conversely, had a say on the offense; however, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Vinny "requested" the BMW started in front of Rinehart. That's the same guy who forced an aging BINGO caller on Zorn to call the offense, so it's feasible to suggest that. Zorn didn't let Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly play in the first year. It's a fact. He cited that they didn't know the playbook well enough, but considering they were just running decoy routes when they did get to play, I strongly suspect there was more to it than that. Zorn simply didn't have faith in rookies - any rookies.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"The GM is telling the coach which OG to play because he wants to pimp one of them"

that is factually what happened...rhino was put into the lineup, yanked out, then put back in, look it up chief...

So sending the possession receiver(kelly) on go routes, gives the team the best chance to win? Throwing the ball 7 times to DTHomas vs NO, then hardly at all the next week gives them the best chance to win??

If zorn played the guys that gave him the best chance to win, why did Davis sit for a year and a half?? Why did he overload portis and not spread the carries among all the running backs?

let me know....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 13, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

As far as Age goes:

Posted by: srobert1117 | July 13, 2010 12:13 PM
-------------------------------------------
So the Saints would have been a lot younger on average if they didn't have the old guys on the roster, and Redskins would have a lot older, worse players if they didn't have Orakpo, T Williams, Landry, Cooley, Davis and McIntosh?

Did you know the Redskins would have won the Superbowl last year if they would have just won a lot more games? Did you know the sky would be green if it weren't any other color? Did you know your posts would make a lot more sense if only they did?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Then, the sand will run to the bottom of your optimism hourglass.

Just like it has done with your career.

Posted by: MistaMoe

We all appreciate your good wishes toward this fine former skin, but the question arises: Just how the Hell would you know?

Posted by: TheCork | July 13, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | July 13, 2010 10:58 AM

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

He should be listed at WR not TE. You should compare him to other WR cause he cannot block like a TE should but is a pretty good blocker for a WR.

Posted by: Stu27 | July 13, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Who's Chris Draft?

Posted by: skinswest | July 13, 2010 10:50 AM

Posted by: stevek20147 |

The warm and fuzy story that's replacing BMW's saga. Sounds like a good dude, doing good things. A cynic says this all but guarantees he'll be released before the seasons starts.

Posted by: TheCork | July 13, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"Sad day in baseball...RIP George Steinbrenner."

I am a Yankee fan.

King George's passing is a sad occasion.

The man is the one owner who brought back the history of a great franchise through the sheer will of his effort and desire.

And I'll also balance out my emotions by pointing out his ownership style itself was a mixed bag of ego and success.

The Yanks have always enjoyed a financial advantage over other baseball teams, and despite the league-wide whining, it hasn't always delivered titles.

It goes without saying that Steinbrenner used used that same advantage in ways it should not have been, particularly during the the 1980s and early 1990s when the franchise was in decline.

His treatment of Dave Winfield--my favorite player as a kid--was reprehensible.

But no matter the criticism you'll read about him today, he put his money back into his team--something baseball luxury-tax lovin' small market owners should be forced to do.

There are all kinds of owners in pro sports--from Dan Snyder to the Rooney clan in Pittsburgh.

But George Steinbrenner was the king of them all.

R.I.P., Mr. Steinbrenner.

You will be missed.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 13, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

i'm thinking (hoping, actually) that snyder can develop as an owner the way steinbrenner did. remember, steinbrenner was not always considered a good owner.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 13, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@RedSkinHead

Uh, I think the Lions beat us last year. Things can only get better.

Posted by: hessone | July 13, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch

I just threw-up all my lunch.

Posted by: hessone | July 13, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Show me where it was reported that Vinny Cerrato told Zorn to replace Rhino with Mike Williams? Can't do it? Didn't think so. Ever thought maybe Chad Rhinehart is not good enough to be a starter? Has his name even been in discussions as a starter for this year? No. It has been journeyman backup Hicks and Williams. Maybe there was a valid reason that Zorn pulled him out. Apparently Shanahan agrees that he is not a good option. Maybe Vinny called Shanny and told him to play Willliams and Hicks over Rhino. Oh thats right he doesn't work for the skins anymore.

Posted by: RedSkinHead
Nice try. Maybe if you were a little smarter you could comprehend. I get it you can't really respond to the Redskins being old without much in the way of young players.

Posted by: srobert1117 | July 13, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse