Chris Horton still sees role for himself in new D

The defense has changed. The coaching staff is different. Assignments have been switched around. But safety Chris Horton thinks there's still a place for him in the Redskins' revamped scheme.

"I'm a smart football player," he said. "I've worked extremely hard. Every time I go out there I give it all I got. "

A seventh-round pick in 2008, Horton exceeded all expectations his rookie season. The strong safety started in 10 of the 14 games in which he appeared and recorded 57 tackles and three interceptions -- third among rookies that season. He was named NFL defensive rookie of the month for September.

Horton, 25, cashed in during the offseason when he was awarded $342,197 as part of the league's performance-based pay system that gives compensation based on the ratio of playing time to salary.

His sophomore campaign was another story, though. Horton was making an impact in 2009 when he started five of the Redskins' first eight games, but a toe ligament injury ended his season early.

The injury may also be a career setback. With a new coaching staff in place, a shuffling of assignments and the emergence of Kareem Moore, Horton is not expected to start and is now slotted behind LaRon Landry, competing with Reed Doughty at training camp.

"I don't really feel like I need to impress anyone," the UCLA product said. "I just need to come out and play my game. I'm gonna put the work in and make my plays when I can. I'm gonna leave it up to the coaches."

Despite the safeties who appear to be atop him on the depth chart, Horton said he isn't worried about his spot on the roster.

"I don't feel like I need to be the one stressing," the 6-foot-1, 220-pounder said. "Obviously, I'm working to be a starter and you know what, if that doesn't happen, hey, there's gonna be a place on this team for me."

Horton, like many of his teammates on defense, said the new 3-4 scheme under defensive Jim Haslett is challenging to grasp but each practice and meeting leads to improvement.

"I'm still having a few mental errors but everyday I'm eliminating some," he said. "With this defense you really gotta put the time and work in to really get a grasp of everything. Once you do that it's smooth sailing."

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 7, 2010; 5:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Several thousand take in Fan Appreciation Day
Next: For Haynesworth, the hard part is still ahead

Comments

1st

Posted by: zornskins2 | August 7, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Horton hears a Who?

Who Indeed?

Yes, you... that's who!!

Posted by: Vic1 | August 7, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

REDSKIN CAMP DIARY - August 7, 2010

Dear Diary

Mommy called earlier today asking if she and could rent out my room.

She said that since I now have a regular job with the Redskins and all, perhaps it's time for me to move out of her basement and allow her to make some money on the room by renting it out to someone else.

It seems she has met a nice young lad by the name of Colt who claims to have once been a quarterback for the Redskins.

"Never heard of him, " I said.

Well, whatever. It seems he needs a room while he's waiting for his next job offer to come through.

I told Mommy. "I guess you heard that Albert passed his conditioning test today. That's good news for some, but it might make my situation a bit uncertain.

"You'll recall that I was invited to come to camp to compete for his position, and now that he seems to have reclaimed it, I'm wondering where that leaves me."

We wrapped up the phone call with a promise that I'd talk with Coach and see if we could figure out what's next for me.

A little while later, I had a conversation with (old) Coach Shanahan.

It started ominously, when he began, "Well, Son, we've been thinking of going in a different direction."

"Uh oh," I thought.

"Look," he continued. "Albert woke up today and decided to take the test. Now knowing Albert even as little as I do, I gotta figure that he could just as easily wake up tomorrow and decide that he wants to do something else. And you know his history of taking plays off and faking injuries and stuff."

So he goes on to explain that he wants me to stick around and "Push Albert."

"Push Albert?" I asked. "We all realize he's a fat assed prima donna and all, but do you really think he should be pushed around camp?"

"That's not what I meant," said Shanahan. "I just want you to stay behind him every step of the way. And every time he decides to goof off or take the easy way out, I want you to push him to do the right thing."

"Listen," I told the coach. "I'm a football player, not an exorcist. And that guy has got more deamons than Dante's inferno."

"Well that's the direction we're going" said the coach. "Do you think you can handle it?"

I thought a moment and decided, "Well, Coach, anything for the team. Count me in."

So here we are... and now Colt is moving into my old room too.

Oh well, time for dinner. Buffalo wings, my favorite!

Until next time,

Your BFF!

Posted by: Vic1 | August 7, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

scamp, I was hanging back two posts ago and posted that there is a good UFC card tonight.

Check out channelsurfing.net and if that doesn't work for you let me know..

btw, whatever happened to the courtesy beeps from the hamsters and whatever WaPo is paying beep-beep, it's too much.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 7, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

It should be called fan apprehension day with AH around.

Posted by: monkeymayonnaise | August 7, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonnaise | August 7, 2010 6:28 PM

The Washington Post should pay some monkeys to run this blog. I want to hear more about Haynesworth and how he's going to stuff some QBs into the turf!

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 7, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Check out channelsurfing.net and if that doesn't work for you let me know..

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 7, 2010 5:58 PM |

I definitely will. Thanks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I used to think a lot of guys on here were too harsh on the Post writers, but I've got a better handle on the situation now. RI is not a place to go for information on football and player evaluation. It is a site where gossip is shared, nothing more, nothing less. This is a gossip column, folks.

Even if you hate Mosley, he gives 50 times more uselful info than anything you'll find here. It isn't Reid's fault. I think it's Cindy Boren's. She is a Yenta, not a sports editor.

Posted by: NYPDee | August 7, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | August 7, 2010 7:37 PM

nothing cooler than a fan of the burgundy and gold in uniform! RI is a place for TROLLS TO UNITE!!!!

Posted by: rob_in_MD | August 7, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | August 7, 2010 7:37 PM |

Cindy's not the editor of this blog anymore. She may have started it, but it's gotten a whole lot worse since she left.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

1st

Posted by: zornskins2

I'm so impressed! How in the world did you accomplish this monumental feat! You must have put in weeks of hard work, blood and sweat typical of a marine boot camp!

Do you:
A: feel like a man now?
Did it:
B: improve your standing in life?
C: Get you laid?
D: make the world a better place?
E: get you off?
F: was it personally rewarding on a scale beyond anyone's comprehension?
G: WHO GIVES A FLYING F---!!

Posted by: iubiquity | August 7, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't know Jack Squat about X's and O's. All I know is, if there is a God, we will play in the Super Bowl this year in Cowboys Stadium.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 8, 2010 2:40 AM | Report abuse