Chris Samuels and Keenan McCardell Speak

Tackle Chris Samuels, one of the longest serving members of the team, said he learned of the shooting upon entering Redskins Park. John Jefferson, director of player development who serves as a liaison to the players in essence, pulled Samuels in his office to tell him what happened.

Samuels recalled the changes Sean has made in his life since a tumultuous first two seasons in the NFL. Samuels and Taylor were honored at the annual kickoff luncheon before the start of the season, and sitting at the dais Samuels spoke to Coach Joe Gibbs for about four minutes, commenting on Taylor's progress.

"That guy's matured up, he's doing all the right things, he's a great person," Samuels said he told Gibbs that afternoon. "And Coach Gibbs agreed. We talked about it for probably four or five minutes."

Obviously, this is the cruelest blow to a difficult season.

"We were a little bit down about the game, and then we came over and found out about that and my mind immediately shifted over to praying for Sean," Samuels said. "It's really tough. It's already been a tough season for us, especially the past three games. But that's small compared to what's going on with Sean."

Like other players, Samuels said he believed Taylor was in a coma, but was not certain. "I heard he was in a coma, but really I don't know if that's true or not," Samuels said. "There's a lot of false stuff going around."

Veteran receiver Keenan McCardell tried to sum up what the entire organization is experiencing right now.

"Everybody around here is just stunned," McCardell said. "We're all stunned. We're numb right now. I can probably speak for everybody, we're just numb. We don't know what to do."

No players spoke at the team meeting this afternoon, just Gibbs and chaplain Brett Fuller.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 26, 2007; 1:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dan Snyder Statement
Next: A Clarification

Comments

Posted by: XHog | November 26, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

For those who believe in prayer, now is a good time.

For those who don't believe in prayer, now is a good time to start.

Posted by: tafka | November 26, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

it's all bad news. only good news will be when they tell us he's out of danger.

Posted by: dealer | November 26, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon on Sean Taylor:

McLean, Va.: Will your opinion of Taylor change if this does not turn out to be a random incident (e.g. home invasion)?

Michael Wilbon: No...People's opinions are shaped by the way they've grown up, the way they see the world, what they know about the world the person in question grew up in, etc. Sean Taylor isn't the only guy I know who fits his general profile. I've known guys like Taylor all my life, grew up with some. They still have shades of gray and shouldn't be painted in black and white...I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising.

Columbia, Md.: What makes you think that Taylor was still embracing his old ways? Every thing we have heard from the Redskins and Portis is that this is a new Sean. Apparently the birth of his child really helped to straighten him out. Is this contrary to what you know?

Michael Wilbon: Sorry, but I'n not in the habit of having comapanies with their own public relations agenda tell me about black men and what they feel or don't feel. Pardon me if I'm not that easy.

Posted by: tlehtone | November 26, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is an idiot.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 26, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I wonder: does Wilbon think Chris Samuels' comments are part of the "public relations agenda" of the team?

If Wilbon doesn't regret making these comments at some point, I'll be even more disappointed in him than I am right now.

Posted by: jcabana | November 26, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

OF course... Wilbon on his high horse already.... Somebody should tell him to just shutup already!

Posted by: EinVB | November 26, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

OK I just lost a lot of respect for Wilbon.

Posted by: jm220 | November 26, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what Wilbon would have said if it was Kornheiser or Theisman that said something that ignorant.

You would think people would respect the fact that someone wants to make a change to be a family man.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 26, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Of course now he'll turn this into the Washington Post vs Redksins... thus this makes Sean Taylor a Thug... that always was ans always will be....

Wilbon - We do pardon your interupption you f'in d1ckhead!

Posted by: EinVB | November 26, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of Wilbon in any way. He makes some pretty damning statements, but then goes on to say that "we have no idea what happened". So if we have no idea what happaned, how can you make these statements which would suggest that indeed you did know what happened.

"Refused to divorce himself from it", oh really Mike? And you spoke with whom to glean this information?

Really showed his true colors with this answer. What a POS.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 26, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Who cares! The only thing 95% of the people reading this are concerned with is if Sean is OK. The media hates him for obvious reasons, but we the fans adore the guy.. consider the source people.... now is not the time to be talking about his past..

Posted by: Joel_doubet | November 26, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I was the one who asked the Columbia, MD question. After his response I submitted the quotes about ST from Portis and Samuels. Needless to say the chat is over and he did not respond. ST and his family will remain in my thoughts.

Posted by: tlehtone | November 26, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon just made the Boycot list along with Target, France, and Canada.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 26, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Wilbon and company,

I was blessed to meet Mr. Taylor 2 weeks ago at Redskins Park. And believe or not, he is a changed man. He is nothing like those awful reports you hear about him. During our meeting, he was kind enough to take the time to talk to us, not about football but about God! By far he was the most memorable player there because of his hospitality and kindness. Please do not judge him by his past, we all made mistakes before. Please pray for him and his family now.

Posted by: lwaya2 | November 26, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Exactly joel, who cares what Wilbon thinks, writers do most of their pieces to get a rise out of people. I personally don't dislike Wilbon, but I think he was a little hasty in his decision, plus we fans don't care what outside sources say. This is our guy, whether he plays or doesn't play, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. If a good friend of yours was shot you wouldn't throw him under the bus for his situation, you'd make sure he was alright

Posted by: tweedr01 | November 26, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

today wasn't the day for wilbon to say that on WASHINGTON post. it may've been okay in chicago tribune or on espn. but not on WASHINGTON post. while people, fans are greiving and praying for their hero.

there's plenty of time to play his black card later like tomorrow!

Posted by: dealer | November 26, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

F Wilbon to the hottest corner of hell! I cannot believe that he has the nerve to self-righteously repeat over and over again how not surprised he is that someone was shot and critically injured in their own damn home!

This man is literally fighting to stay alive and has a daughter who will grow up without a father if he doesn't survive his injuries, and all this jerk can do is pass judgment on what he believes Sean Taylor to be??? No perspective at all.

I have lost all respect for him. I will never read another word he writes, and I will never watch any show his fat, smug face appears on. UnFingBelievable.

Posted by: JustMe | November 26, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

EinVB: "we DON'T pardon the interruption" might be a little more apt

james.harwell: still stuck in 2002, are we?

best wishes to Sean Taylor, his family, and his friends

Posted by: benjones | November 26, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Read the SI article about M Vick. The article helps explain where Wilbon's reasoning comes from. I don't know who Taylor ran with. But it seems that he could find trouble pretty easily. Does not mean he deserved being shot. Just means he put himself in some dangerous situations. Taylor has/had a promising career. Why endanger himself and the career does not make sense.

Posted by: sullivan.jm | November 26, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Dealer, thats the thing with Wilbon, is that he's such a one-trick pony. The 'race card' is all he's got. He uses something of this tragic nature to promote his own warped agenda.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 26, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine why Sean Taylor didn't speak to the media.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 26, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I have been a huge fan of Sean Taylor since I first saw him play at UofM. He is still a young guy and has come a long way in regards to how he handles himself. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Wilbon I have not liked for quite sometime now...but after todays garbage that he spat out about Sean Taylor while ST is laying in a hospital in a possible coma makes me put Wilbon on my worst enemy list. What a POS! Get off your blackhorse Mike

Posted by: scrumpy1 | November 26, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

benjones

I wish I was stuck in 2002...at least then I would still be in my 20's.

I guess I do tend to hold a grudge a little longer than necessary.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 26, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree with everyone. I am a big fan of Wilbon, but I think his comments were pretty stupid. How hard is it to say something like I am not shocked by what happened, but I hope Sean will be okay. Don't expect a whole lot of kindness from the media, though, because as joel said Sean is known for ignoring the media (and not self promoting) and taking time for the fans. I wish there were more athletes like him. Pull through this Sean, we are all praying for you.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | November 26, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Was that really Wilbon that said that?

Posted by: pcreeldeal2 | November 26, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Sully, there is so much speculation in what you wrote, I don't even know where to begin.

"He could find trouble pretty easily", just not in the past 2 years, though right?I mean, he's been trouble free for 2 years, so wouldn't that indicate that perhaps he'd changed his way's?

"why endanger himself and the career does not make sense" and neither does this statement. From WHAT WE KNOW, his home was being broken into, so what would you have suggested he do??

Maybe I mis-read your post, but what angle were you looking for?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 26, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tlehtone | November 26, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

james.harwell: Understood :)

Posted by: benjones | November 26, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that is cold, Wilbon. Congratulations on not being surprised, and congratulations for being a cynical man whose first reaction when he hears of a tragedy is to trumpet how right his suspicions have been all along about another person's lifestyle.

If there's all these people in Miami gunning for him because he is rich and famous and they are not, where exactly was he supposed to move himself and his family? The safe streets of DC? The tragedy in this is that there WAS no safe choice for him once he moved out of and renounced the violent circumstances in which he grew up.

Posted by: makuke5 | November 26, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I wonder why the Post even keeps Wilbon around. The guy shows a disdain for Washington sports (particularly the Redskins) and its fans that no other major paper would tolerate from a columnist, let alone their big name writer. It's time for the Post to cut its ties with the poor excuse of human being and let ESPN and the Chicago Tribune have him.

Posted by: freshfudge1 | November 26, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Sharpstein is ST's attorney, apparently.

Posted by: JustMe | November 26, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

etrod thanks for the laugh; could use some comic relief

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 26, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

ohhhhhhhhhh please let this be true! thanks justme!

a new post

Posted by: dealer | November 26, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's true too, dealer.

Posted by: JustMe | November 26, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

More good information in this article. Including this ... "Sharpstein said Taylor, 24, emerged from surgery in better shape and will likely live. He is in intensive care and doctors have allowed his family to see him."

Posted by: Brian2580 | November 26, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

There is a new post from Jason.

Posted by: tafka | November 26, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Fire Michael Wilbon...now

Posted by: tdskinz | November 26, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I guess Wilbon is my brother from another mother. When I heard Taylor was shot this morning, my first thought was, "Not surprised."

Posted by: SayLuv | November 26, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

what angle are you accusing me of?You didn't misread my post, Greg. You are just spending too much effort looking for racists. In 06/05 Taylor was charged with aggravated assault with a firearm. It took until June 2006 for a plea to be negotiated. Yeah it was before that he was charged DUI. Charges also dropped. That made him a true Redskin in the Riggins mold. Special treatment for players with expensive lawyers. Don't tell me Taylor can't find trouble easily. How many Skins on this team have been charged with a felony? How hard has it been for the team to keep him out of trouble? Yes Greg that's just speculation. That being said it doesnt mean I wish him ill. No derserves to be shot. I hope he fully recovers. Taylor is a man with god given and hard earned talents. I hope we get to see them again.

Posted by: sullivan.jm | November 26, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I live in south FL and am very familiar with the area in which Taylor grew up. Florida City is an agricultural hub with the state's highest poverty rate and more than it's share of violent crime. Life there is not only hard, it's usually way too brief. I'm not sure what it was like growing up where Wilbon did, but it's not hyperbole to suggest that one has to keep his head on a swivel to survive where Taylor grew up. Wilbon's response is that same "lie down with dogs, get up with fleas" response that enables people to accept this type of attack as part of the price one pays for a certain kind of lifestyle. It's a free country and Wilbon can say whatever he wants. Whether he remains marketable with that kind of crap is someone else's problem. Has Taylor exhibited traits that some of us wish he hadn't? Sure. Was he meant to suffer this kind of viscious attack because of it? Hell no. Taylor has done a lot of community work in this area and has usually been pretty available to help out in a good cause. I pray for his speedy and complete recovery. And I pray that Wilbon will eventually find out what it means to be gracious.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | November 26, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

It is a shame that someone who was turning his life around has now been gunned down life a petty criminal. May GOD Bless the family friends and redskin Nation as they prepare to carry on without Sean.

GODS glory awaits you young man.

Posted by: unclefrank22801 | November 27, 2007 7:56 AM | Report abuse