Samuels Asks For Your Help

Chris Samuels is trying to help a family in need, and below is the press release explaining the situation:

TRAGIC ACCIDENT SPURS THE CHRIS SAMUELS FOUNDATION INTO ACTION
Foundation Solicits Donations for the Family Impacted by the Tragedy

August 13, 2008, Washington, DC - When Washington Redskins' Offensive Left Tackle Chris Samuels needed a landscaping contractor, he found Robert Moore, a hardworking man who could get the job done. Moore and his two sons often work together and did so at the Samuels estate. One of the sons in particular, Bobby Jo Moore, put in extra effort to make the job run smoothly.

Samuels scheduled a second job with the Moore crew and on the day that this project was to commence, the reliable Moores did not show up. The elder Moore called that night and spoke to Samuels' girlfriend, Monique Cox. "He called to apologize," says Cox. "Then, he broke down into tears and told me that his son Bobby Jo had been killed in a car crash."

Cox and Samuels were stunned. They sent flowers immediately. After the funeral, Moore contacted Samuels about finishing the second job immediately. Bobby Jo did not have life insurance and the family would struggle to pay for the funeral. What's more, he left behind a two-year-old son and a pregnant fiancé.

Samuels knew he had to do something more than just allow Moore to complete the second job and thus sprung into action. The Chris Samuels Foundation will be organizing a Redskins team baby clothing drive for Bobby Jo's children. Samuels also took advantage of some of his July 28 birthday press to solicit donations. Anyone seeking to contribute to the Moore family can send a check made out to the Chris Samuels Foundation to Redskins Park, Attention: Chris Samuels.

About the Chris Samuels Foundation

The Chris Samuels Foundation is an organization dedicated to community stabilization through home ownership education, economic development and youth initiatives. Samuels has received support from Democratic presidential forerunners Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton for his efforts and has recently awarded a new home to a family who withstood the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Future efforts for the foundation include home ownership programs in Samuels' home state of Alabama and additional youth initiatives in Washington DC such as the Chris Samuels Foundation Job Training & Internship Program and a Football Camp. For more information, please visit www.crsdevelopment.com .

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 14, 2008; 8:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landry Will Skip Trip; QB Rotation Changes
Next: What To Watch For

Comments

This is a tragic story. Thank you JLa for reporting it. Kudos to Chris for doing something to help the family. I would be happy to donate. Prayers to the Moore family.

Posted by: Everyone | August 14, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

JLC REVEALS HIS GIBBS-HATE

(70Chip) sent the following message on or about August 23, 2007:

Of course Kendall will start. We all know Joe is just covering for his guys. Don't take it so personally. He yelled at Steve Buckhants one time. It's all affectation. I would encourage you to get some Redskins employees to talk to you so you don't have to hunt down people from other teams. That way would be more "Insiderly."

_______________________________________________________
LaCanfora responds:

Gibbs treats people like they are morons, so I am calling him out on it. Don't insult that same fanbase you try to stroke all the time after you go 5-11.
trust me, i have no lack of people talking to me on this team, way more than gibbs can stomach. he can't stand the fact that i get the straight dope and don't write his dopish version of the truth in many instances (their crappy left side of the line a perfect case in point).
Thanks for reading.
Cheers.

Posted by: Deepthroat | August 14, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Thats always rough. I am by many standards a heartless jerk but no father, or mother should ever have to deal with the death of a child.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 14, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

someone remind me why we didnt make a play for Lynch? too much money? that aside, he would have been a nice short term fill to a void we have there now in a thin secondary...

experienced - hard hitter...

i bet the pats get some value out that guy...

Posted by: deadskin | August 14, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, right. You make out a check and send it to Redskins Park. Right.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

** RI fantasy post ***

Nate, I've deleted the requisite number of particpants from our schedule. 4th, and Alex are with you now.

Sween, I had to reinvite you to balance the divisions again. Sorry. Again.

It went to your aol...

*** End RI fantasy post ***

Posted by: Redcoat | August 14, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JustMe | August 14, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

sorry to hear of the tragic story.

if i may...indulge myself on my soapbox...

the world's richest man, let me write that again, the world's richest man, the man with the most money does not have a "foundation". instead he's donating all his money to another "foundation". why can't these nickle and dime (speaking relatively of course) athletes and celebs instead either donate or become a rep. for an existing charity? if you want to give, first give up your ego and then give efficiently. why it's gotta be mr. x's "foundation" why can't it be an existing charity?

i'm not hating. because i did the same exact thing (yes, cabbies can make some serious dough especially when it's tax free income) until my F-in-law told me he just gives the money to existing charities. and i was like "ohh!" and he got more money than i do.

Posted by: dealer | August 14, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Did they call that Eagles game on account of lightning, or are we still on hold?

Must I watch women's beach volleyball...Again?

Was that a drive-by Just Meinmg, or are you back for the season? Welcome either way.

Posted by: SMACK | August 14, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

From Jason Whitlock's nfl truths - too funny not to post. btw, good on ya' C. Samuels

The NFL Truths obtained a rough draft of Pacman Jones' reinstatement letter to Roger Goodell. What follows are just a few of the highlights:

What's good, Roger? I mean, what's Goodell, Roger?

I'm just playing, Commissioner Goodell. This is Pacman Jones. My agent said I needed to drop you a letter saying why I should be reinstated. Well, as you know, I do a lot of work in the community supporting single mothers one dollar at a time.

I've included some reference letters from a few of the gals I've helped get through nursing school. They were embarrassed to include their last names, but I'm sure you will be impressed when you read the heart-tugging letters from Lexus, Athena, Diamond and Mercedes. Without my rain, these independent, hardworking women would not be in their seventh year of nursing school.

Also, my good friend Joe Pete, the owner of Magic City, has constructed a graph highlighting the negative economic impact my suspension has had on Atlanta strip clubs. Pacman's suspension has been worse than gas prices.

President Bush calls my rainmaking trickle-down economics.

Sincerely,

Pacman Jones

Posted by: bangkokben | August 14, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

My heart and prayers go out to the Moore family.

Posted by: Chris, Odenton | August 14, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Just Me,

Thanks for the above link.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 14, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Dealer,

That's a good question about why everyone has a foundation. My guess is that it has to do with the tax laws which allow people to maintain control over their own foundations and spend the money as they wish. If Chris Samuels, for example, had adopted the American Cancer Society, he couldn't use their money to help his gardener's son's children. But now he can not only use his money -- while reducing his taxes -- but he can also solicit contributions from readers of this blog.

He can use his foundation to provide employment for his family and friends. He can use it to support causes which interest them. Since so many athletes have these foundations, you have to believe that tax advisors are out there explaining to them how to do it and why it makes their life easier. And yeah, these are relative nickel-and-dimers, compared to the truly rich, so they want to hold control over their money.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Eagles first strig players have played the 1st half and I am not impressed. Not sure how they are picked above the Skins this year. Poor execution. Recievers dropping everything.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 14, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Aikman likes the eagles this year and is now making excuses for them. Tough to play in these conditions.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 14, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Dumb timeout by Reid.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 14, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Blog completely dead tonight. Guess the last thread sapped everyone.

Not a fan of Jasno myself and that thread showed his agenda. Having said that, and outside of the tone, I have to agree with most of what Jasno was saying. Gibbs 2.0 was not the best, but was way better than the years between the two Gibbs versions.

And in the end, the Skins are much better off than they were before he returned.

Now, we are in the Zorn era and I truly believe that us Skins' fans will have plenty to cheer about.

HTTR!!!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 14, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

First NCICURN, then JustMe... pretty soon, Periculum will show up.

Whoever mentioned tax advantages of running a charitable foundation has hit it on the head.
*** begin political sidebar
As a side note, it's one of the reasons why the Obama "let's just tax the uber-rich" plan never gives the results they predict. The amount of money at stake means that there's somebody whose full-time job is to figure out ways to minimize the tax hit.
Not that you should immediately and automatically vote for the other guy, but you should probably ponder what his next move will be when the budget numbers come in and he "needs more money".
*** end political sidebar

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 14, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Keep your mouth shut toad & daggar !!!

Posted by: OG Barno | August 14, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

When I do that, the beer spills.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 14, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Keeping my mouth shut is a good plan, because sometimes I say some stupid sh!t.

Posted by: D. Snyder | August 14, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Let me preface by saying I'm not commenting on this specific situation nor making light of this family's tragedy, but I always wondered why athletes and celebrities solicit the public for donations, when they, as multi-millionaires, could afford to help more. I see where a pro athlete will donate something like 5 grand and then ask the public to help raise money, when not only can they afford to give more, it would seem to be a tax write off. I'm being totally serious and would be interested in some thoughts on this.

Posted by: Bunny | August 15, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Not spilt beer!!!

Posted by: kost52 | August 15, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

So let's see, it's 12:49am your time, and 2:49pm my time, which makes me 14 hours in front of you guys, which means that my draft time is 6:45am Sunday morning. Bugger! Oh well, nothing like a beer at ^;45 to wake you up!

Posted by: kost52 | August 15, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Interesting article from Wise. Thought this paragraph was pretty funny, telling his mom not to read this blog. Let's see if he can continue to make some good moves through the draft and FAs.

"I told her which blog not to read," Cerrato said, referring to Jason La Canfora's Redskins Insider on washingtonpost.com, which eviscerates Cerrato like Post TV critic Tom Shales used to eviscerate Kathie Lee Gifford's Christmas specials. "She gets mad when she reads those kinds of things."

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 15, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Curzon, was laughing at the same thing. I'm guessing Jasno is under Vinny's skin more than Vinny's Mom. Probably because Jasno hasn't been a cheerleader or suck-up. And Jasno criticisms been right often enough.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 15, 2008 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, Chris. Keep up the good work.

And let's not hate on the fact that most athlete's have their own foundation. Is my contribution to the Red Cross or the Goodwill any less appreciated because I get a tax break from it? The good it does far outweighs whether or not the intentions are pure.

Oh, and that column from Wise on Vinny is a good read. It almost makes me like Vinny.

Almost...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 15, 2008 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 15, 2008 6:10 AM

When my maid's husband was killed and I wanted to give her money, I didn't get any help from reduced taxes. Every dollar I gave her came from my pocket.

Posted by: Motivator | August 15, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

What can I say Motivator? I guess it's just one of the perks of being rich. I choose to take heart with the fact that nobody's going to try and extort money from me like Tom Coughlin!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 15, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

you guys should be ashamed of yourself. Just because a man makes more money than you does not mean he always has to float the bill. Give if you want, but you don't have to.

Posted by: ynotcaruso | August 15, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ynotcaruso | August 15, 2008 7:58 AM

I can't understand why you think I should be "ashamed". I'm not faulting Chris Samuels for his charitable intentions. His foundation has given a home to a Katrina victim and has sent an aspiring dancer to New York. These are good things. I wish I could do them.

My gripe is with a tax system that allows him to do this with a tax benefit so that everyone -- all taxpayers -- pay part of the tab. If he can do this with his large income, why can't I do this with my smaller one? This, to me, would seem equitable.

Grateful if you could explain to me why I should be ashamed. Or maybe you can explain to me why it's fair that Chris Samuels can do this and I can't.

Posted by: Motivator | August 15, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I've really been slacking on my blog time lately. Stupid job.

On the last thread - I think any objective viewpoint would come across as negative when put forth to a pro-skins audiance, like such as this one.

I don't think Gibbs 2.0 was a failure at all. Gibbs did not return us to glory, but did elevate us from laughing-stock status, which is where we had been for a long time.

On this thread- This is a great move by Chris Samuels. His heart is in the right place. We shouldn't fault him for being in a postion to get a tax break for doing this. We may not each have our own foundations, but if we did, I'm sure we'd all use them to do the same thing. This is also a good way to get his foundation's name out there so that he can help others in the future.

back to work now.

Posted by: etrod | August 15, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Everybody | August 15, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Everybody | August 15, 2008 8:28 AM

Let's see. This is a blog called "Redskins Insider." The post is about an athlete asking for money for a mourning family. And you think we're disrespectrul for discussing football, athletes, or money? Why don't you make a "respectful" post, just to show us clods how it's done?

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

"I guess where I have trouble with it is that if Chris Samuels' gardener has a tragic accident, Chris can give him money through his foundation. For every dollar Chris gives him, about $.50 comes from Chris's pocket, and the other $.50 comes from reduced taxes on Chris's income.

Chris Samuels makes $7 million a year. I make under $100,000. I don't see any equity, at all, in his getting a tax break when I don't. So, that's why I don't think these private foundations are a good thing."

Posted by: Motivator | August 15, 2008 7:04 AM

The only difference is he took the time to set up a foundation and you didn't. You could do the exact same thing, and reap the same tax benefits. Of course it wouldn't be on the same scale, but that's not the point.

I applaud Chris for setting up a foundation for charitable donations. Sure, he's saving some cash by reducing his taxes, but he's also helping a lot of people who otherwise would be out of luck. Good for him.

Posted by: HockeyGoalie29 | August 15, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"I think most of you guys are out of line talking about football stuff and arguing over athletes and money and what not. Have some respect for the post and the family that is in mourning."

Posted by: Everybody | August 15, 2008 8:28 AM

Completely agree. There are plenty of other threads to bash Jason, discuss the Eagles, play fantasy football, etc. This isn't one of them. Have some respect people.

Posted by: HockeyGoalie29 | August 15, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HockeyGoalie29 | August 15, 2008 8:45 AM

I applaud Chris too. But do you have any idea how much it costs to set up and administer a foundation? You can't do it on my salary or yours.

I have no gripe against Chris. But if the tax laws are meant to treat people fairly, then why is it that rich people can do things with their money, and get a tax break, that middle class or poor people can't?

Basically, it makes a lot of money for well-paid tax attorneys. And you think this is fair? Personally, I don't see it.

Posted by: Motivator | August 15, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 8:38 AM

HUYA - I did. Its the first post on this page. Judging by your screen name, you are obviously a prime example of respect and classiness.

There are things more important than football. See hockey goalie's post. There are plenty of threads to talk football/bash whoever. Have some respect for the intention of the thread.

Posted by: Everyone/Everybody | August 15, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

There are things more important than football.

Posted by: Everyone/Everybody | August 15, 2008 8:59 AM

Thanks for sharing this profound insight. Did you find this on wikipedia or something? I never knew this before now.

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Yes there are blogs about those things. And there are also blogs about football and athletes. Notice how this current blog is not about football and athletes, but about a family who lost a son and someone trying to help them.

Jason makes 10 or so blogs a day. I just find it disrespectful that the first few posts are about JLC vs Gibbs, playing for Lynch, arguing about Samuels charity, talking about Rogers, etc. I love football as much as everybody, but such comments make it as though we're completely ignoring the subject matter.

Guys are so completely engrossed in football that as soon as a new blog goes up there is the need to post their opinions on this or that. There are plenty of blogs for that. Only about five posts here out of 40 are pertaining to the topic at hand.

Of course, judging by your tone and your angry sarcasm, I can't say what kind of person you are, so I won't make any assumptions.

Posted by: Everybody | August 15, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Everyone/Everybody | August 15, 2008 8:59 AM

I can't say what kind of person you are, so I won't make any assumptions.

Posted by: Everybody | August 15, 2008 9:23 AM

So, 24 minutes after your attack based on my screen name you're now unwilling to "make assumptions"?

Look, the blog is called Redskins Insider. People come here to discuss football, athletes, and tangential jibba-jabba. We do it pretty much 24-7. We have people all over the world to keep it up while we're sleeping. It's a bit presumptuous to come here and tell us what we can say and when we can say it.

And, dude, if I were a member of the man's family, I wouldn't be coming to a football blog to find solace and comfort in my hour of need. Maybe you would, but that's just you. You don't speak for "everybody."

Posted by: Head up your a$$umption | August 15, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

My 'assumption' was referring to how you would feel about seeing such drivel on a web page dedicated to your son.

"If it was your son and you came on to read this post and there was people arguing about Samuels, etc., I would assume you would be disappointed."

Your screen name and tone are obviously disrespectful in themselves.

You're right, they wouldnt be coming to this page today or probably in the next few days. But at some point they would see it and see how JLa tried to blog to support them. And I think they would be disappointed.

Yes, people are obviously on here 24-7, which is sad enough in itself. And it is Redskins insider - but like I said, there are plenty of other blogs on here to make 'football' comments in. I think it shows a lot of priorities out of whack when 90% of the comments are NOT about the young man's passing, but on other issues.

Posted by: Everybody | August 15, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm grateful we have guys like Chris on our team who step up and help in times like this. A very sad story. Thoughts are with the Moores.

Posted by: Anonanon | August 15, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 9:11 AM

...And NONE of those other blogs are written about the topic at hand. You expect us to go to another blog, that's NOT related to this tragic situation, and start posting there about it? Clearly your head is where you claim it is, or you would have seen this obvious point.

THIS blog is about Bobby Jo Moore, not any of the other several million other blogs out there. So it stands to reason that this blog would elicit responses to this sad situation, and not about Jasno vs. Gibbs 2.0. Furthermore, if you want to argue that Bobby Jo posts belong elsewhere, hows is it that those Gibbs 2.0 posts dont belong under their original blog, and not here? I agree with "Everybody"...I came here to read about the Redskins fans response to such a sad situation, and only about 10% of the responses even touch on the topic.

And to not make excuses for he rich, as I am not one of them, but there are a lot of benefits that they enjoy, that you and I dont. Yeah, they can set up a foundation that you and I cannot. They can also buy a car for every day of the week, that you and i cannot. They can afford multiple investments, to have their money work for them, in a way that you and I cannot. They are able to do this b/c they have more of it than you or I do. Is it always fair? Heck no...but that doesnt dimish the fact that CS is doing something extremely admirable with is money. Is he receiving a tax break that you and I couldnt? Yep...but could also just hold onto all of his money, and not do anything at all. However, he's not.

My heart goes out to the Moore family, and my prayers will be with them. I wish I could afford to give more.

Posted by: Redskins2199 | August 15, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskins2199 | August 15, 2008 9:58 AM

If you came here to see how we reacted to this news, the answer is that we have other things on our mind. We admire Chris, and we're sad about this death. But we are thinking about the Redskins when we come here.

Glad you see the fairness in the tax system. You should continue to vote Republican so that the rich will continue to enjoy privileges, at taxpayer expense, that the rest of us don't.

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 10:10 AM

I stand corrected...you are right. I meant that the post is about Moore, not the blog. However, I find it interesting that you chose to argue semantics instead of addressing the point behind it....

Glad you see the fairness in the tax system.

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 10:10 AM

Also nice that you glossed over when I said "Is it always fair? Heck no...but that doesnt diminish the fact that CS is doing something extremely admirable with is money." So from "Is it always fair? Heck no", you ascertain that I "see fairness in the tax system". Smart.

Posted by: Redskins2199 | August 15, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"This post is about Bobby Jo Moore. This blog is Redskins Insider. The blog is not Bobby Jo Moore Insider. We came here to discuss the Redskins. "

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 10:10 AM

Exactly my point why comments in this post should be about Bobby Jo Moore, and in the 500 other posts in the Redskins blog, there is plenty of room for discussing the Redskins/football.

Is there such a pressing need to discuss the Skins that we can't pay respect to ONE post about the loss of a life and what Chris is doing for the situation?

Using your logic of "Not only are there things more important, there are also blogs to discuss them. Why don't you go there if you don't want to read about football and athletes? Why you coming here trying to tell everyone what they can and cannot write about?"..... then YOU could go to the millions of blogs/posts that are about football, and allow THIS one to be about what it is.

Posted by: Everybody | August 15, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Everybody,

This is Redskins Insider. We discuss football here. Get over it.

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Head - very classy posts. Hopefully at your funeral, all the talk is about football and taxes.

Posted by: Cooley47 | August 15, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

thanks anonymous. i never thought of it that way. it's all about tax evasion i guess. also it'd be interesting how much do these "foundations" actually give away compared to what it "cost" to run them. do you see what i'm getting at?

this is probably what the "foundation"'s balance sheet looks like:

CEO's (who happens to be mr. x's girlfriend or mother) salary: $70K
CFO's (who happens to be mr. x's brother or father) salary: $70K
other leeches: $30K
purchase of a vehicle for the foundation: $70K. which happens to be an escalade with gold trim.
purchase of a computer: $4K
a couple of rooms in the "estate" to run the foundation at $1000/month= $12K

that is a conservative ;) estimate of $200K of write-offs. so is the foundation of Mr. X giving at least $170K per year away to the needy? i highly doubt it.

Posted by: dealer | August 15, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who can't get back into the next thread?

Posted by: dlhaze | August 15, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cooley47 | August 15, 2008 11:04 AM

By all means. If my funeral is on a Redskins blog, I would expect them to talk about this. But most funerals are somewhere other than Redskins Insider.

Posted by: Head up your a$$ | August 15, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | August 15, 2008 12:04 PM
____________________

Is it giving away that much -- sure it is, but it's OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY. You can't have a foundation without donations.

So it's kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse