Chris Samuels continues to learn from Redskins staff

Technically, Chris Samuels' internship with the Redskins' coaching staff expired at the end of training camp last month. But as the regular season hits Week 2, he's still been at every practice, in every meeting and has been a constant presence around Redskins Park.

Samuels was one of 96 players across the league to take part in the NFL's Minority Internship Program and one of five in training camp with the Redskins. As camp was winding down and fellow interns Terrell Davis and Steve Atwater returned to their homes, Samuels approached Coach Mike Shanahan and said he would like to stay with the team and continue working with the coaching staff.

"I talked to the coach and asked if I could stay for the season, and he welcomed me to stay," said Samuels, who retired following last season. "I thought that was huge of him to let me stick around. I try not to get in anybody's way. I'm pretty much really a fly on the wall, just picking up and learning how to coach he guys. I've learned a whole lot from Coach Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan and especially a whole lot from our offensive line coach here, Chris Foerster."

Samuels has been working with the offensive line and spending a lot of one-on-one time with rookie left tackle Trent Williams. He's not technically an assistant coach, though he's keeping the same hours and performing many of the same functions. He essentially remains with the team on a volunteer basis.

"My payment is knowledge," Samuels said. "That's what I told Coach. 'You don't have to give me anything. I just want to stick around and learn.'"

By Rick Maese  |  September 17, 2010; 12:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins rely on Portis blocking in pass protection
Next: Kareem Moore ruled out for Sunday's game

Comments

I like the way they are keeping Samuels around to mentor and assist in coaching TW. There is a lot to learn from a 6x pro bowler that was a class act on and off the field.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 17, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 17, 2010 1:07 PM

This is true but they have him mentoring the wrong guy. He should be working with Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 17, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Well monk, the lowest IQ without being mentally challenged is 71...so 17 seems about right.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh I forgot, Campbell's number is 8 now right? Maybe that's closer to pabrainiac's score!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Samuels is a class act....

We need more guys like him around....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 17, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I love the RI forums, especially all of the posters. Love you guys, get me stoked for Sundays! Anyone else read spaceghetto?

If you don't you should now.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | September 17, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | September 17, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I think he'll make a good OL coach. Who knows, maybe in a couple years he'll come back here and league a new group of Hogs!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

league = lead

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Samuels is a class act....

We need more guys like him around....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 17, 2010 1:15 PM

No, what we need are more guys who can play their position as well as he played it.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 17, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I bet rachel is smokin hot!

Posted by: PlayAction

;)

Posted by: rachel216

I bet play action is jerking it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

very good pick up Monk..that bama has been trying to hide behind many id's....play action=ah=poopy

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 1:17 PM

Don't be silly...I like poopy...I'm not poopy.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Studies are done showing IQ is related to cerebral blood glucose level and overall brain size. The study as done here shows that IQ is strongly correlated with glucose assimilation after a glucose load, overall utilization and metabolism. Further, IQ is also showing relationship with lipid profile values and serum bilirubin level.

stay off the kewl - aid

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I bet rachel is smokin hot!

Posted by: PlayAction

;)

Posted by: rachel216

I bet play action is jerking it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:32 PM

Awwwww don't be jealous little boy....

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I am Poopy and I love Poopy.

Reading through today's threads it seems like the poster hessone is just downing the hater-ade. Hating on McNabb, hating on Fred Davis, etc.

Wonder who pooped in his coffee?

No worries though, he'll be here soon enough, copying his responses from 2-3 blog postings ago, accusing me of being every poster here, and generally being the total opposite of a loving, rug-muncher.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 17, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think portis will be our starter next yr???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali

does anyone think the players WON'T be locked out next season?

does anyone think McNabb will be our starter next season?
--------------------
pabrian: who would you rather have right now, at this moment? JC or McNabb?

Posted by: rachel216

Campbell. Probably could have both if'n there tweren't so much hatin goin on

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Samuels will pick up enough over time to be a good OL coach someday.

If he does it'll be nice to have him here.

different topic: Glanced at the "Entries by category" and saw that have one titled "drug probe". Got me wondering, whats going on with Moss and that whole alleged HGH nonsense? It would be nice to get through the entire season without any of that coming up.

Besides me bringing it up now anyway...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the last JR post, as I was viewing the Redskins / Cowboys game last Sunday the thought actually occurred to me, "Good Grief, CP is a better pass blocker than our FB. This is not good. We need to be able to use CP as a check-down and last option."

JR's article resulted in me thinking today, "I don't think JR realized what many of the observant Redskin fans on RI noticed concerning CP having to block so much in pass protection."

Oh well, just another reminder that Jason was not as bad as many on her concluded.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 17, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

stay off the kewl - aid

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like since you are fantasizing about PlayAction jerking it, you want his kewl - aid.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

finally found how our average IQ is 93

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, sorry you had to scare yourself by looking in the mirror.
Should call you Chief Makum No Sense

Posted by: monk811

I know my huge member is scary, even to me there Chief Respondem to'em Guy Who Make'em no Sense

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody doubt that Chris Samuels can be a hugely positive influence and a great mentor for the offensive line, especially Trent Williams? And Coach Shanahan is getting his services for FREE!!

Posted by: jva1 | September 17, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Read above on this page a headline that reads "Avg Redskins fan IQ = 93"...

AVG IQ =93?
Simply foolishness!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 |

RAY it seem obvious that this lazy scientist limited his research to Redskin fans who post on RI.

Why if it wasn't for me, thee and McPoop, it would probably be down in the low 60s.

Posted by: TheCork | September 17, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye pabrian2003...its a concensus...no one likes you.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I bet rachel is smokin hot!

Posted by: PlayAction

;)

Posted by: rachel216

I bet play action is jerking it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:32 PM

Awwwww don't be jealous little boy....

Posted by: PlayAction

don't be jealous of a guy who day-dreams that a female redskins blog poster is hot? ok I won't be

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

And Coach Shanahan is getting his services for FREE!!

Posted by: jva1 | September 17, 2010 1:43 PM |

No, it's an exchange. Chris Samuels is getting to learn FOR FREE from one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL. Win-win.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Awesome post JR. It's "inside,' it's interesting, and it says something good about people we want to get behind as fans. Thanks.

More like this please.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | September 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

stay off the kewl - aid

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811

your projecting again

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

good stuff about Samuels,he's got a lot of insight for young Silverback...

side note...getting old sucks, started a new routine at the gym using kettle bells....I'm gonna have an ouchie...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Probably could have both if'n there tweren't so much hatin goin on

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

??? WTF dude! You don't make any sense. You should try 2 hands on the keyboard instead of 1 on the vienna sausage!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Bean - those kettle bells are no joke. Awesome workout.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

kettle bells are okay.

what's better is hitting up a spin class or yoga class. If for nothing more all the eye-candy in classes such as those.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Chris Samuels = Russ Grimm 2.0;

Only this time he becomes our head coach at some point. You heard it here first.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda coulda woulda is for losers, but the point here is that the offense is not that far away.

4 plays that radically alterd the outcome of the offensive production:

1) AA fade route
2) SM89 wide open drop
3) Cooley mysto procedure call... ref accused him of moving forward
4) TWill false start

Balls need to be caught, guys have to be on point. I think its a lot closer than the hand wringing professional questioners seem to think.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

today was the first time I used them somewhat exclusively....wow...good stuff, I'm gonna be sore as heck tomorrow...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

1) AA fade route
2) SM89 wide open drop
3) Cooley mysto procedure call... ref accused him of moving forward
4) TWill false start

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Marko Mitchell would have caught that fade pass!

Posted by: rupertpupkin | September 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone gonna hit up that Stewart/Colbert rally on The Mall in late October?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 17, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

you're projecting again

Posted by: pabrainiac | September 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

There, fixed it for ya!!! HAHAHA!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Anyone gonna hit up that Stewart/Colbert rally on The Mall in late October?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 17, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm all over it! Glenn Beck and Sux it

Posted by: Devo2 | September 17, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Nice of you to fix the grammar too monk...NPI would have been all over that. I wonder if 2003 is the year he graduated high school...or the year he was born...oh well...who cares.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Funny Cork, funny.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 17, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

good stuff Chris Samuels. hope you have a great coaching career.
as far as JC goes I think alot of people agree he should be gone, but at the same time would like to see him succeed. I don't know if he should get this much attention after a week one loss but whatever.
play_action,
we're all jealous

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I meant, Glenn Beck CAN sux it.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 17, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Excellent post from the Redskins.com blog:

The Defense Is 'Just Playing For Each Other', As Shown By One Play

The description of the play in the official gamebook is pretty unassuming:

3-2-DAL 41 (6:58):

23-T.Choice left end to DAL 38 for -3 yards (59-L.Fletcher, 30-L.Landry).

That is, on third and 2 from their own 41 yard line with 6:58 remaining in the game, Dallas running back Tashard Choice ran around left end -- or tried to, until he was tackled by London Fletcher and LaRon Landry for a three yard loss.

It doesn't look like a turning point in the game -- and maybe it wasn't, given how the final drive went -- but it could've been. This was the play that gave the ball back to the Redskins and let their offense burn a chunk of the final quarter off the clock.

Fletcher and Landry get credit for the tackle, but as soon as the play happened John Keim of the Washington Examiner tweeted that "Byron Westbrook made that play with good run support, forced hesitation and others cleaned up." And just a few seconds later, Sam Chamberlain of TBD.com noted, "Great play by Brian Orakpo to force Choice out wide on that 3rd-and-2 carry."

So in the postgame locker room I went to those four guys -- Fletcher, Landry, Westbrook, and Orakpo -- and got them each to take me through the play from their point of view.

Fletcher:
"They had run that play earlier in the game, a similar situation, I think about a third and 2, and got a first down out of it.

Orakpo:
"We knew they love these tosses. I kinda had a feeling that was coming."

Fletcher:
"They told us from the sidelines 'alert toss,' you know, alert the toss. I relayed it to the defense, so they're aware of it. Saw the formation. Got my line moved to where they're more than likely gonna toss the ball to so we could get a better run support over that way.... From there, one of the corners came up, did a great job supporting, bubbled him a little bit, and we were able to make the tackle."

Westbrook:
"When I saw the guard pull and I saw the pitch, I shot the gap, just forcing the guy back inside. And when he stopped his feet and tackled back inside, the line got on me. But all my teammates were rushing down to the run already."

Orakpo:
"What I did was -- instead of trying to make a tackle -- basically just sacrificed my body getting upfield to kinda slow Choice down and collect bodies. And that's what happened: I collected bodies to stop all the pulling guards and tackles from getting on the edge on our players and maybe let our guys be free and get off the field."

Westbrook:
"After [Choice] tried to bounce back out, London's right there to make the play, and we're off the field."

Fletcher:
"I was able to run free, untouched."

Continued...

Posted by: psps23 | September 17, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I heard Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity have hot man-on-man action in the back of the Fox News studios. While those 2 are getting it on, Bill O'Reilly stands around video taping them and asking them to loofah each other up.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 17, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

All good guesses. But I'm afraid 2003 was when pabrainiac lost his virginity at the age of 43, I feel sorry for that tranny!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Westbrook:
"This defense, one player's gonna set up another player. Rak, Haynesworth, they're gonna get the pass rush, so Carlos, DHall, LaRon, Reed, they'll benefit with an interception. That play, I'm gonna sacrifice taking on the block for London, Rocky, everybody else to rally to the ball and make that tackle. I mean, that was a big play. It was third down and 2, and they gave us the ball back."

Orakpo:
"We're just playing for each other, man. You know, Has (Coach Haslett) came in with a great mindset, philosophy, and guys are buying in. Guys are playing as one, man. No egos on this team, you know? I'm happy, 'cause you see plays like that, where guys are sacrificing their bodies for the sake of the team and not really worrying about the stats."

You might notice that Landry hasn't been quoted yet. That's because he was so focused on the game and so not worried about stats that he couldn't recall the specific play I was referring to.

"Not at all, man," Landry said. "There were so many plays, we were flying around, and like he said: it's all about getting the whole defense, all eleven hats to the ball. And that's why we came out with the W: we did a great job getting to the ball."

Posted by: psps23 | September 17, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Is it Sunday yet?

Posted by: abxinc | September 17, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Samuels concluded, "By the way, Haynesworth is a fat turd."

Posted by: Vic1 | September 17, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

More Posts like this please

Posted by: trousers | September 17, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

More Posts like this please

Posted by: trousers | September 17, 2010 2:19 PM

Let's hear a feel-good story about Haynesworth mentoring Jarmon.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 17, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Skins fan in PA and highly offended I share the same state as pabrian. He's probably from one of the shady inbred Pennsyltucky parts. So at least that could explain his below retardation IQ.

"If anyone is gonna be having sex with my sister, it's gonna be me." --Clayton Bigbsy

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 17, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Give Trent a wristband: WWCSD?

what would Chris Samuels do?

This kid is going pave his way into Redskins fame. I foresee many probowl nods for him. Also I foresee the D being too much, the crowd being too loud and the offense getting it together this week.

iH8 prediction: Skins 28- Texans 21

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 17, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

It must suck going from starting left tackle in the NFL and pro-bowler to unpaid intern. I wonder if they make him fetch coffee and photocopy.

Posted by: trezmartin | September 17, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

As I bask in the glory of a Redskins win over Dallas, I got to thinking:
When is the last time the Redskins beat Dallas at FedEx on a NIGHT game?
I think the answer is never.
The last time we beat Dallas at home at night was Richie Pettibone's first game as head coach, but that was in old RFK.

Am I right?

Posted by: jgarrisn | September 17, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Awwwww don't be jealous little boy....

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 1:35 PM
-------------------------------------
yeah, that did have some hateration on it...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

4 plays that radically alterd the outcome of the offensive production:

1) AA fade route
2) SM89 wide open drop
3) Cooley mysto procedure call... ref accused him of moving forward
4) TWill false start

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 17, 2010 1:55 PM |
--------------------------------
agreed...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I respect that, awesome,

Posted by: tjzukoski | September 17, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Hail Chris Samuels! A true Redskin, and always a true Redskin. I miss the big guy even though it looks like we got another player at left tackle already.

Posted by: CPortisRun | September 17, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse