Chris Samuels - Half Empy or Half Full?

So there's a coupla a way we can look at this injury. A starter getting hurt at a position as important as left tackle is never a good thing, but let's delve a little deeper.

First of all, I heard today that, after reading the MRI and examining the knee, team doctor Ray Thall did not suggest a scope or any surgical procedure. Words is just R and R - rest and rehab. The best estimate is a month, but that's an estimate. Chris has had knee problems before, he is a 300 pound dude playing a collision sport for a living, and was just rounding into football shape when it happened ... So obviously we have to see how the knee responds to treatment.

On The Bright Side

At least it happened early on, in the first week of camp, so he has ample recovery time for the opener.

The Skins will get a chance to truly assess their depth right away on the O Line and get more reps with the second team for young guys like Lefotu.

It could have been much worse. Chris would be the first one to tell you his first thought was, "Oh (bleep)!" He could have easily blown out that MCL and been done for the season.

On The Other Hand

The Skins were already going to take every precaution with Jason Campbell, having him only play with the first team O Line, doing whatever possible to protect him from getting crushed in the preseason. Now, there's a good chance their best pass blocker - the guy they trust with JC's blindside - won't be taking a live snap until the first regular season game. With the preseason finale Aug. 30, I would be stunned if Samuels sees in any action in an exhibition game.

So ... Samuels and Todd Wade could very well go the entire preseason without ever facing an opposing blitz. It is imperative to get these two in sync as Wade learns to play guard, adjusts his leverage and learns to get in perfect alignment with Samuels. Good luck with that now.

They face a conundrum with Wade. The need to protect Campbell would point to Wade sliding to tackle in the preseason - or even maybe Jansen moving to that side until Samuels comes back - but that will throw off the line. Breeding chemistry there is of utmost import, and that has to suffer. However, in the long-term they need Wade to be a good fit at guard, so they have to figure that out. I will be watching the first team O Line like a hawk at practice today to see what their early plans are.

With the Skins bringing Randy Thomas along slowly, the Skins could go into a preseason game or two with the likes of Wade, Fabini and Whitticker all starting, which is not how they drew it up.

It will be interesting to see what kind of shape Chris is in when he does come back and how long he needs to regain fitness once the knee is back. He's a real gamer, so I know he'll do whatever possible to be ready Sept. 9, but will he be 100 percent?

So that's what I got? What would you do? Keep Wade at tackle, swap Jansen or keep the continuity of the line paramount. Can make a case a few ways.

By Jason La Canfora  |  July 31, 2007; 2:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freddy Signs With Benfica (Sorry, I Had Nowhere Else To Put This)
Next: Report from the Field

Comments

panties

Posted by: dcsween | July 31, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

first!

Posted by: john (DC) | July 31, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I 2nd that, sween.

Posted by: 4-12 | July 31, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

first!

Posted by: john (DC) | July 31, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Whatever they do, don't let Portis tackle.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

[isn't that better than "first!"]

Only b/c you ask, I'd keep Wade and Jansen where they're supposed to be and bring in the depth behind Samuels.

Posted by: dcsween | July 31, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Where's Ray Brown? Get him suited up!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

We're doomed.

Posted by: P Diddy | July 31, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

we're screwed

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | July 31, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

We're hosed.

Posted by: P Diddy | July 31, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

4-12

Posted by: 4-12 | July 31, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Fabini an all-pro? I think we can make due with the starters in their regular positions for a few preseason games...

Posted by: SGuggen | July 31, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

We're SJKed

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

From what I've read, Wade's having too much trouble with the guard position and Whitticker's looking good there. Move Wade to left tackle and Whitticker to starting LG. Put in Thomas or if he's not ready yet... put in Fabini in that position. It's time to move on from the Wade Experiment if Whitticker is that good.

Posted by: Anup | July 31, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The other question is whether the glass is half full or half empty (i.e., Kool-Aid or the apocalypse)? I say that the glass is at half capacity. It is what it is. When the doctor orders R & R (rather than some fearsome "procedure"), that means that Samuels is essentially being protected for his own good (at least b/c the season is so long). Jason Campbell is going to get hit. It happens in the NFL. Dings and dents in the preseason will help shake out his willies. We will survive and prevail (and hopefully draft another O-lineman in the early rounds next year).

Posted by: dcsween | July 31, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Broken heart already? =)

Posted by: John from Herndon | July 31, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

On the previous thread, Cheyenne said he didn't want to offend anyone with the title "Lord". As it turns out, I sent away for one of those "Buy your royal title" things. I'm now a Viscount. I figured it sounded exotic enough and would impress people in a bar. They sent me a laser printed certificate (in a pleather portfolio!), so I'm fairly confident that everyone has to bow before me and buy me free drinks.

For some reason, the DMV won't accept it, so I have to resort to other means (BS-ing about my royal lineage, for example) to prove my royalty. I mean, you can't just carry your pleather-wrapped certificate around everywhere, can you? It's just not practical.

Posted by: P Diddy | July 31, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I say leave Wade and Jansen in place. Wade has trained hard this offseason to become a guard and if they move him to tackle all that could go right out the window. So keep the line in place and bring in backup. It'll be good for them to perform under the pressure of the coaches to not get JC killed in the preaseason.

Posted by: SkinsFanSC | July 31, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

trust in Buggs to work his OL magic and get something sorted out.

Posted by: 35332 | July 31, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Fabini Inigo Montoya's cousin who was killed by the 6 fingered man?

we're flushed.

Is there really an R bobby hater?

LOVE IT. That guy Rick Bob is such a DONKEY. I can say for sure he doesn't have any tix, cause his lard butt couldn't fit in a seat!

Posted by: Pub Golf | July 31, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

It's great to see all the regulars back...

Posted by: P Diddy | July 31, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

SFSC, my point exactly. By all means, the Skins SHOULD NOT PANIC! This is not the time for over-reaction. Stay the course. [... Thousand points of light. Stay the course. ...].

Posted by: dcsween | July 31, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I see your Dana Carvey, and I raise you one Toonces.

Posted by: P Diddy | July 31, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Also, may we now address you as V Diddy?

Posted by: dcsween | July 31, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

way to early to develope doom and gloom sceniros. they can test their depth durring the preseason, priority on making sure both samuels and thomas are rested and recovered (R&R) before or early in the season.

campbell needs playing time they will have 5 lineman in front of him who are not cfl rejects, buges will have to coach up the hogs he has.

Posted by: Old School | July 31, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Key words "R and R" If it was something really bad he would need to go under the knife. Keep everyone where they are and just relax.

Posted by: jm220 | July 31, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

According to all-knowing Wikipedia, the proper address is "The Viscount Diddy". Or "The Viscount Diddy of Seattle".

My friends still can't believe I did it. But my ex (the one who I adore, the rest I hate with the white hot passion of a thousand suns, but I digress), was spot on when she said, "It's proper form to send announcement cards for this event." Bless her gorgeous little heart.

Posted by: P Diddy | July 31, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Rice as a Gint?

Rumor has it the Gints are courting Rice now that Strahan is a no-show:

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | July 31, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd drink a glass half full of bleach just to get a job.

Posted by: Dan Shanoff | July 31, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

If you're a 'the viscount', can I be your Jester??

Let the Top Gun jokes roll.

Imagine how excited you'll be when you hear:

"viscount in aisle 3" next time grocery shopping.

Posted by: Pub Golf | July 31, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Dan,
I feal ya... have not had a job in 6 months.

Posted by: 35332 | July 31, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Can we trade TJ Duckett for an O Lineman? He should be worth something to someone.

Jason, I appreciate your attempt to find a "bright side" in this, but there really isn't a bright side in any injury, unless you're a Cowboys fan.

Posted by: KK | July 31, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

JLa,

Your erstwhile "blog buddy" Fitzgerald states that Gibbs has ruled out playing Wade at tackle again. That means a trade of some sort possibly depending on how the depth shapes up. Molinari was drafted but never made the grade and moved on to Dallas I think. So after drafting 2 OL 2 years ago and another last year they still have little to no depth unless Lefotu steps up. They have the undrafted free agents. Sheesh I remember when they had backups who would start for most other teams. And they always had a close to pro bowl caliber sub who could play both tackle and guard.

Just goes to show how troubling the lack of depth on the lines for this team is. And now it sounds like they are skittish about their QB as well. One can only hope that at least one of those young QBs shine.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Better yet:

"Viscount on whip its, aisle 5"

I'd sprint to meet you at that point.

Posted by: Pub Golf | July 31, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

JLa,

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

go after the giants o line dude that just retired...

cuz he retired for the same reason tiki retired...coughlin.

wasn't it luke petigoooooo?

Posted by: dealer | July 31, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Time to send Brunell packing for a LT.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

actually "he killed my father"

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | July 31, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

actually "he killed my father"

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | July 31, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Petitgout signed with the Bucs.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Ummm i dont think we have Duckett to trade there pal...

I think everyone is being silly in this regard...Chris is fine they are being cautious...It's a trick Gibbs has used in the past ..In fact many coaches do...They are looking at their depth and getting them reps while resting and protecting chris for the long haul...THATS ALL IT IS!

Posted by: leevi | July 31, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I eman Chris is hurt but nothing serious....If anything I consider this a blessing in disguise for the reason that it will remind them to be cautious and not over work or play key players when they dont need to.

Posted by: Leevi | July 31, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope that the Gints get Rice -- they'll get about as much of our him as they got out of LaVar last year.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything about LaVar's condition lately?

Posted by: KK | July 31, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi | July 31, 2007 03:39 PM

Can I have some of that spiked Kool-Aid?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Jason...that was depressing....your bright side was short and sweet....the "other hand" long and torturous (think I spelled that wrong).

Posted by: Lisa | July 31, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: P Diddy | July 31, 2007 03:21 PM

What, no viscount business cards for your wallet?

Posted by: skinswest | July 31, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Zebra, no flags? You gotta throw one for unnecessary boo hoo n.

Calm the f down. This thing just got started. We need to let the baby hogs cut their teeth, let's see what we got before we declare the sky is falling.

Posted by: k Squared | July 31, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi | July 31, 2007 03:39 PM

Can I have some of that spiked Kool-Aid?

Posted by: | July 31, 2007 03:44 PM

I think Leevi drank it all...and some.

Posted by: CC | July 31, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Falcons again. Maybe Brunell for Wayne Gandy. The guy is 36. There is local guy Quinn Ojinnaka and Frank Omiyale. This time get something they really need other than TJ Duckett.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Though I am positive JLaC DOES love me, Gary Fitz shows the love with this little nugget about what happens when they sign a draft pick:

"Unlucky turn of events for wide receiver Jason Willis, who wore jersey No. 13 in training camp: he was the player released by the Redskins once the team completed the signing of Landry."

Jason Willis, we hardly knew ye! Now watch this guy become the Marques Colston we let get away ("Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?").

Posted by: dcsween | July 31, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

This doesn't change my view about the season one bit. I'm reposting what a said two posts back.

I am actually starting to feel better about the season. I think the O will be much better with Campbell, a healthy Portis and greater use of Sellers. Campbell is going to have his rough spots for sure but if the team is running the rock well his job is going to be much easier. I also think the D will be much improved (it couldn't possibly be worse could it?). Carter should continue his late season surge, Griff should be healthier and with the retooled LB corps and secondary, I see a top 15 defense and 10-6 or better baby.

I haven't had the Kool-Aid but I am drinking citrus juices and phenobarbital mixed with vodka while wearing brand new black & white Nikes. Where's that spaceship?

Posted by: LH | July 31, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

RB Hater,

You can find me in Blue Lot #8 on Sunday's. If you know that lot, I'm with the group of guys bouncing tennis balls into a cooler for shotguns. You can't miss us. You also wouldn't want to miss me downing a whole package of ho ho's, which is something I do for the opener every year.

And was that Pub Golf on the blog? Wow. He's been MIA ever since he re-discovered love. YEAHHHHHH, AFTERNOON DELIGHT!

As far as Samuels goes, look for the Skins to lose about 40-0 in every pre-season game this year. They aren't going to play anyone, and rightfully so.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | July 31, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Move Wade to Tackle and get Marco Rivera in for a workout. I watched Lefotu in NFL Eur-Romper Room and he looked good at the Guard spot also.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

They'll stay the course. They will play the depth. Wade is not depth, he is the starting guard on this team. I'm sure they weren't planning on forfeiting the rest of the season if samuels went down in week 4 so it should be the same now...the starters stay where they are and Fabini fills in. Jason is not Brunell, he's more agile and can avoid big hits and he's young enough to get smacked around a little and not crap out. If our QB was 32+ I'd be worried.

Posted by: Mike H. | July 31, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Who is Samuels' backup? Unless he sux (SJK) I'd keep Wade where he is. Otherwise if Wade is the best LT option move him over and let Wade's backup get the reps at guard. I think you have to put the best player available at LT regardless - it's a lot more important than continuity at guard. When Samuel's comes back Wade goes to the bench - unless his replacement sux. It may not be fair to Wade to ride the bench but it would give them time to bring him back up to speed at guard while also giving them depth at LT. Hell maybe this works out for them in the long run in that guys get more reps at different positions and gain some versatility. Building depth through adversity.

Posted by: skinswest | July 31, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

the optimism on this topic and of redskins fans in general is sickening. samuels got hurt. it is what it is. it is not a good thing because they can look at depth. if they want to look at depth they would do it anyways. that is what the preseason is for. it will slow the process of samuels adjusting to wade or whittaker which will carry into the season. this is the last thing you want with a fresh starting q. its not as bad as cp and springs getting hurt last year because they have wade and fabini, for once they spent an off season getting depth. if fabini cant get the job done at lt then move wade over. whittaker looks better so far anyways.he is the same type of player as dock so why are they moving wade over anyways.

Posted by: bobolak | July 31, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Soup may be fine without Samuels or Thomas but what about the running game?

Posted by: Hmmm.. | July 31, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

this is bad. definitely bad. way bad.

Posted by: negative nellie | July 31, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

this is no problem. definitely no problem. no way, no problem

Posted by: positvie polly | July 31, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | July 31, 2007 03:53 PM

ricky bobby i challenge you to a ho ho eating contest. anytime, anywhere

Posted by: bobolak | July 31, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Injuries are bad. Um-Kay.

Posted by: Mr. Garrison from South Park | July 31, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Greg(Boston) what is your take on the Garnett deal? What's the buzz like in Bahston.

Posted by: LH | July 31, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

3-13

Posted by: 3-13 | July 31, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"POSTED 1:36 p.m. EDT, July 31, 2007

MEMO TO AGENTS: HAVE YOUR GUYS READY TO SIGN

Thanks to Jason La Canfora's Washington Post blog, we now know why safety LaRon Landry didn't practice on Monday, despite agreeing to terms in the very early hours of Monday morning.

He wasn't in town.

We've heard about this kind of stuff from time to time over the years, and it drives us crazy. There's no better way to set a bad tone for a rookie player than to have the guy needlessly miss practice time once his deal is done.

The simple solution? Fly the kid to town and park him in a hotel. Most folks of reasonable intelligence know when a deal is getting close -- and that's the moment to mobilize the player.

In Landry's case, agent Joel Segal should have gotten the kid's ass onto a plane as soon as the terms of the contract between the Vikings and running back Adrian Peterson were reported on early Sunday afternoon. Better still, Landry should have gotten within short driving distance of the practice facility on the same day that camp opened.

There's no excuse for any other approach, other than the fact that the agent is too cheap to spring for the hotel (which, in most cases, gets charged back to the player anyway).

In our view, it's just another one of those pieces of evidence that help indicate whether the agent truly cares about the player, or whether the agent merely cares about the agent
"

Posted by: 4th via pft.com | July 31, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

We park in lot Blue #8 every game, right next to Jericho. Are you the guys throwing beers into the cooler?

Scary thing is I think I drank a beer with you guys last year, at the Jags game. One of your boys threw up on the ground and ate it? Please tell me this is your group. PLEASE

Posted by: R. Bobby Hater | July 31, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I was never real into shifting Wade to guard in the 1st place but where is the basis coming from that it already isn't working out after 3 days. Has comcast down in DC been showing any good footage of him failing or Whitticker blowing people up? Is this all just hearsay? I can't see it firsthand so am counting on knowledgeable people here who have been to the camp practices.

Posted by: cdubb | July 31, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

If they move Wade to tackle they could put Pucillo, Tucker, Whitley or Lefotu at guard. Probably Fabini and Armstrong backup at tackle. Seems to make the most sense if Samuels is slow to return.

The thing is if Wade could make the transition to guard he could become their star sub who could move in to play both tackle and guard as needed. Might be what Gibbs and Bugel are thinking. While waiting for Lefotu or someone new to move in at guard.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Anyone, Bueller, Bueller...

Seriously, Vinny and Danny Boy, and Gibbby himself are azleep at da wheel.

Where is the o-line depth, where is the D-line depth. When Griffy boy and 34 year old over the hills Daniels start sucking wind on D-line, we will all know that the skins threw in the towel this year as rebuilding yr instead of fixing glaring holes on both lines. I can't remember a year when our turdy, overpaid linemen went any number of games without injury. Say, how do good teams like Pittsburg, New England, San Diego and others do it? They reload every year. We drafted Samuels, Jansen, Dockery. When is the last time we drafted a CENTER! Or a nosegaurd! Point of attack issues bro, we got em.

Gibbs, the lines have been weak and getting older by the minute your whole second tenure here!

Posted by: DTC | July 31, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Seems pretty simple. Replace Samuels with Fabini.
So it goes Fabini, Wade, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen.
What's the big deal?

Posted by: hubub | July 31, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The running game is never impacted by the health of the offens...oh...wait...

Let me rephrase that.

We're screwed.

Posted by: Pub Golf | July 31, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

everyone suffers injuries during pre-season.... lets just hope we dont get too many of them... if he is out a month, has ten days to get ready, he will be ok... lets hope springs, randy thomas, santana moss, campbell, griffin, fletcher and taylor stay healthy.... and lets hope Brandon LLoyd decides that his contract is robbery and volunteers to give 70% of it back...

Posted by: bethesdaboy | July 31, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I can see it now. We look horrible along the line in the preseason. Everyone says: 'Just wait until Samuels comes back.'
Then Samuels rushes back, never gets 100%, and the line suffers in the first half of the season until the knee finally gives out completely, and then we reshuffle the line and never get the chemistry that is needed along the line.
Let's pray PRAY for 8-8 and at least split with Dallas.

Posted by: The awful truth | July 31, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

And where the hell is haiku man?

R bobby - go buy the ring and get it over with. The only blue lot you'll be in is with the G-men in a Hos jersey when she converts you.

Posted by: Pub Golf | July 31, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh great! Jansen just went down too.

Posted by: Gary Fitzgerald | July 31, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SGuggen | July 31, 2007 03:18 PM

Hey SMACK,
Didn't we get Fabini from the Cowboys? Is he just a waste of a roster spot or can he get the job done? Didn't you give us a chuckle when we signed him?

How Gibbs plays the OL may tell us more about the severity of the injury and CS's progress in rehab

Posted by: Stumped | July 31, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

LH you are thinking clearly

Posted by: Old School | July 31, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I think the best thing they can do is make an educated guess on samuels predicted fitness level come week 1 or 2. If you believe that he will be fine by then, withotu a nagging effect all season, then DO NOT move wade. He needs to get comfortable at guard. Assume that Fabini will be able to do an adequete job until chris comes back. Unless whitticker is gonna beat him out for the LG spot.

However, if you believe that chris will not be ready in a month or that this will bother/reoccur all season, then they should bump wade out to tackle, let whitticker start at LG, if you do not believe fabini can get it done.

I think a lot rest of Fabini. he is a solid vet, so if he still has his legs, no reason to believe he cant fill in for big chris unitl he is ready to go

Posted by: SeanTay77 | July 31, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh great! Jansen just went down too.

Posted by: Gary Fitzgerald | July 31, 2007 04:22 PM

Hope that's a joke

Posted by: skinswest | July 31, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

3/4 Full Jason.

He'll be fine and starting opening day. As you said the guy is 300 lbs, that just doesn't heal over night.

No worries yet.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 31, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Preseason = Practice. "We're talking about practice. Practice".

Instead of whining about doom and gloom...remember Portis tried to SeanTay Delta O'Neill on an interception, and f'd up his shoulder...

Don't worry about Samuels and Jansen. Those dudes are warriors, when the lights go on......for real, we'll be fine.

Posted by: k Squared | July 31, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

4:22p.m. ET
Keeping my eye on who's getting the bulk of reps at first-team left tackle. Could be a surprise in store. Stay tuned.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

R bobby hater:

I'm not too sure who you are, or wether you saw the puke eating, or even if you're the one who puked. But you should identify yourself. I know people.

Posted by: Pub Golf | July 31, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

If Samuels doesn't play before our first game, his first test will be against defensive player of the year Jason Taylor (who I think would lineup opposite him).

Posted by: Salty | July 31, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

skins arent the only ones. Jax starting center is out 2 months with a broken foot. this is football after all

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Jansen, Rabach, Wade, Fabini and Whitticker just went down. Early reports lean towards all of them being out for the season.

Posted by: Gary Fitzgerald | July 31, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Some are complaining about soccer-talk.
But posts about puke eating...argh.

Posted by: Stumped | July 31, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the number of pessimistic posts over this. C'mon guys, it's only week 1 of pre-season and Samuels will be back. Bugel will get it done. The Wade at guard thing is a dream, keep him at tackle, put Fabini and Whitacker at guards and let them play. Sounds like Whitacker is the best fit at guard anyway - let Buges coach him up.

Posted by: skinsfannorth | July 31, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

k squared also has his head on straight.

Posted by: Old School | July 31, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Can we get Chris Samuels to do a guest blog since he won't be practicing anytime soon?

Posted by: Hmmm.. | July 31, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I love the optimism out here! Last year there was twice as much though, blognation wise at least. 06 was a rough season. I just hope the rest of the east meltsdown...

Eagles - half of Philly HATES mcnabb, a bad game or two early and he could collapse

G-men - What was Eli's blog name last year? Anyway, he sucks. they're 7-9 too.

Dallas - T O, T O, T O...T OOOOO, TEEE OOOOOOOOOOO. BOOFER YOU FREAK! WHERE ARE YOU??? Potential .500 team too.

that leaves us...does vegas make any guesses on season schedules? Bodog anyone?

Posted by: Pub Golf | July 31, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Pub Golf, Eli is LBM (Lil Brother Manning).

Posted by: dcsween | July 31, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

We need new hogs.
Period.

Posted by: TDawg | July 31, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

NEW POST! Stephon Heyer filling in for Samuels!

Posted by: dcsween | July 31, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

If its been said i'm sorry can't read everything.

I think an underlying concern is that how many times do you here about players trying to rest and then the dreaded phrase
it didnt respond to treament comes, 4-5 weeks later. Then said player has to get some scope work done and then is out another 3-4 thus missing the real games.

By no means am i a doctor

thoughts

Posted by: say it aint so ade jimoh | July 31, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Why am I looking forward to a scrimmage, which I wont be able to watch until 24 hrs after its been played???

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | July 31, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"viscount in aisle 3" next time grocery shopping.

Posted by: Pub Golf | July 31, 2007 03:32 PM
______________________________

Cute. Too bad it is pronounced "vye-count"

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I love Samuels, but with his mileage and injury history, we need a starting quality back up. If Wade truly has the potential to be at least a very good LT,he shouldn't be wasted at guard for both short and long term reasons. If, however, he is another Brad Badger, a good OL but a step below a very good LT, then leave him at guard. Just keep an H back in as Campbells body guard until Samuels gets back.

Posted by: Ken | July 31, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

if samuels isn't ready by the opener this is what I would do keep Jansen and Randy Thomas in their positions including the Center as for the left side will whitticker becomes the left guard and Todd wade becomes the left tackle until Samuels ready to return

Posted by: armen | August 1, 2007 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: armen | August 1, 2007 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Who didn't know that the half-empty part of this post would be 3x as long as the bright side.

Posted by: CVille | August 1, 2007 7:28 AM | Report abuse