Clinton Portis and No. 21

At this point, according the NFL office, Clinton Portis and/or the Redskins have made no request for Portis to change his No. to 21, Sean's number. Any player would have to receive league approval before making such a change.

Portis could still make that request down the line, but as of now no part of this process has been set in motion.

As with everything else, if this changes I will let you guys know.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 28, 2007; 3:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TJ Duckett Remembers Sean
Next: Funeral Monday in Miami

Comments

Knowing Clinton would he really ask permission to do such a thing? I could honestly see him just grabbing Sean's jersey on the way out the locker room and putting it on.

Posted by: harrissa | November 28, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be awesome if he wore the #21 jersey and even better if it had Taylor on the back

Posted by: bzn01 | November 28, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm praying this works out. It would be really special to see that number out on the field on Sunday.

Posted by: waterwagen | November 28, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Why did the have the news conference to say nothing?

Posted by: jm220 | November 28, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I've got mixed emotions about anyone else wearing 21.

I'm not sure how I feel about retiring numbers either. But, I'd rather see a number retired under circumstances like this, than just because some player made the HOF.

Wasn't Sean Taylor 25 too? Anyone know why he made the switch to 21?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 28, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Sean other number was 36.

Posted by: jm220 | November 28, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sean was 36 as a rookie and switched to 21 after Smoot left.

Posted by: straub21 | November 28, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Before he was #21, he was #36. Number 36 was when he was the off-the-field bad guy. Number 21 was the reborn off-the-field good guy. Both were on-the-field scary guy. He will be missed.

Posted by: dcsween | November 28, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

JM, yeah, that was what I dont' understand either. They basically said everything we know. What was the point?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping Clinton has better judgement than to wear Sean's number. Clinton is not as good a player as Sean was. If he wants to earn the right to wear #21, then he needs to play better than he's played lately. Sean would never have fumbled twice and then gotten stuffed by a LB on the four yard line.

There's no player on the Redskins right now who is good enough to wear Sean's number.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 28, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

dcsween,
you got that right.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 28, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think Portis should just let it be and no one should wear his jersey number. I think they should paint his jersey and number on the field around the 2oyrd line on each side of the field or maybe in the middle.

Posted by: bsohrabi | November 28, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

No one should ever wear #21 again in a Redskins Uniform. Has anyone heard anything about the Redskins getting together and starting a reward fund to help catch the scum who did this. I would think they could easily collect a substantial reward fund.

Posted by: jimwell | November 28, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm remembering all the Sean Taylorisms that this blog crew has come up with, even back in pre-season...I can imagine a compilation on the wiki.

There was some wickedly funny (and truthful) stuff posted about him.

Our super-hero...but we hardly knew him.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 28, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I was reading some other forums this morning, and one person had a great idea...

in honor of Sean, they could highlight the 21-yard line of each side of the field for the rest of the season, instead of the 20 yard line. it's only 1 yard off, and it's a pretty darn creative idea. i think it would look very nice: an ultimate tribute to an ultimate human being.

Posted by: student1234 | November 28, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Dont forget to vote #21 for the probowl, sorry due to my firewall at work I cant pull up the link.

Be personally I wouldnt mind seeing portis wear 21, its not like he is 21 he would be doing it out of respect, someone is going to wear it eventualy might as well be the person who knew him the best on the team before some rookie takes it in a year or 2

Posted by: SAK2 | November 28, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 28, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I love CP, but after everything he went through to wear 26, he should just stick with it.

Posted by: smarty_pants | November 28, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Sean Taylor put in the ring of fame at the Dallas game. What a great tribute that would be. With his death, he has affected this franchise more than any other player.

Posted by: jimwell | November 28, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bsohrabi | November 28, 2007 03:56 PM

I like this idea...hence forth the 20 yard line should be remained the 21.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 28, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Just heard the funeral will be held on Monday.

I also heard that the Skins organization is going to offer a substantial amount of $$$ for information on Sean's murderer.

Jason, have you heard anything about this?

Posted by: Lisa | November 28, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I like the 21 yd line idea as well, I dont see the nfl doing it though

Posted by: SAK2 | November 28, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 28, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I have been reading most of the posts over the past few days and even though it has been said many times, Jason, what ever they are paying you -it ain't enough. I know your not a "homer" but your coverage has been incredible. Thanks

Posted by: jandlml | November 28, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

And please let them wear the #21 decal on their helmets for more than just one game. The Tillman incident got dicey with Jake Plummer and the NFL. Or at least let them wear a patch like other teams have done (did the Redskins do that for JKC?)

Posted by: Dorf | November 28, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Jasno, i really have no idea how you came up with time through all of this to make the video earlier too. Sometimes I let my B&G glasses affect the way I look at some of the stuff you have put up, but that in the past, when it came down to it you came through. Not only have you been making sure we know whats going on, but you speak what you know, not what you think. Thank you man

Posted by: tweedr01 | November 28, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I think the entire NFL is going to wear #21 on their helmets and a #21 patch on their jerseys. I have mixed feelings about Portis using #21. I think it would be appropriate for Portis to wear ST's jersey at the Bills game.

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 28, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Portis needs to doctor up his socks, rather than wearing the 21. 21 was his number assigned by the team. The socks were Sean's personality showing through and a little more... it was refusing to be confined to the role that was expected and - especially considering this "thug" backlash we're getting from the national media - would be a fitting way to honor him.

Posted by: sxpatr | November 28, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

what would be funny is if cp switches to 21 and then they resign ohalete, and he takes back his old number, for which cp had to pay him.

Posted by: sales | November 28, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree about Portis wearing Sean's jersey for the Bill's game. I think it would be a nice tribute. But then I think he should go back to his number and nobody wear the big 21. Then I think the Redskins should retire it in Hawaii when he makes the ProBowl.

Posted by: one3ballin | November 28, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Portis does not have the work ethich that Sean Taylor had. I think the jersey should be unofficially retired until it can be formally retired.

How about a lone bugler playing Hail to the Redskins slowly before the Sunday game at FedEx ... and Coach Gibb addressing the fans?

Posted by: AWWNats | November 28, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm out here in L.A. so i only get the national sports talk but i was wondering what local radio is saying about the murder. I hate that the national radio shows are saying that there is a lot more to this, even implying a hit was placed on Sean (RIP). Are the locals saying anything?

Posted by: Papken28 | November 28, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

it was reported earlier that the skins would wear the 21 patch on their uniforms and a 21 sticker on their helmets for the remainder of the season. it was not said if the rest of the league would wear a 21 sticker on their helmets beyond this weekend. and i have no problem with cp wearing #21 for the buffalo game or if he chose to for the remainder of the season. they were close and he deserves that right regardless of whether or not their talent levels vary. i also don't want to see him fined should he do so and not contact the league in advance. the sock gesture would be great also. furthermore, i agree that the #21 should be retired by the Skins and Sean be put in the ring of honor at FedEx field at a ceremony when his family can be in attendance for a game or at the introductions at this years pro bowl when he is announced as a starter.

Posted by: gregskins | November 28, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Papken28,

This is just my opinion: JLC and the Washington Post reporters do an outstanding job getting the facts, but every opinion piece in the paper and on the radio is too concerned about having an "angle", not content to just let the facts be what they are at this point, with many unknowns. We all wish we knew exactly what happened, because just sitting with the sadness is difficult. Therefore, I suggest the following column (suggested by someone else), which comes not from DC but from Baltimore:

Posted by: kwatson | November 28, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe some of these comments saying Portis shouldn't wear number 21. Seriously, are you people mental??? Portis was an old friend of Taylor's and I guarantee you he is hurting a lot more than any of us are. What right do we as fans have to tell him not to honor his fallen friend the way he would like to honor him?

People need to mind their own business when it comes to something like this...

Posted by: Barno1 | November 28, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

For any of you who don't know about the brotherhood of the "U", we fans here in Miami do. It would be the ultimate honor for Portis to remember his "U" brother by wearing the #21 - just like all the others in the league do (Antrel Rolle, Kelly Jennings, Frank Gore, etc. etc. etc., look it up for all of you who aren't familiar with former 'Canes in the NFL and their current numbers). Here in Miami, it would be the ultimate representation of a true teammate (both in the NFL and college), a brother, and a friend.

Posted by: jbslinger | November 28, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Barno,
Just to set the record straight. I said I had mixed emotions about it. All that means is that is how I felt about it. Not that CP shouldn't do it if he feels so inclined. Frankly, no one implied that fans have any right to dictate what should or shouldn't be done.

But doing so is a public act, if it is a tribute that helps some folks heal, maybe its a noble gesture.

I haven't absorbed all of the news. Did CP say that this was something he wanted to do , or is it something fans would like to see.

Why do you feel the need to call people mental? We're all trying to come to terms with the loss.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 28, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

The ultimate show of Sean's charecter and strength, on the first defensive play, only put 10 players out on the field. Leaving Sean's safety spot open for him, we know he will be there still!

Posted by: cfletcher__iii | November 28, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

cfletcher... that's a better idea for the pro-bowl, and let's make sure Taylor gets the votes to get there as the starter

Posted by: taylorjersey | November 28, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse