Portis Rushing against History

According to the NFL, Clinton Portis would reach a rare milestone should he rush for 120 yards or more Sunday against the Lions (who rank second-worst in the league against the run):

Washington Redskins running back CLINTON PORTIS leads the NFL with 818 rushing yards. Portis has gained at least 120 yards in four consecutive games and needs another 120 this week against Detroit to become only the second player in history with 120 rush yards in five consecutive games twice in a career (O.J. SIMPSON in 1973 and 1975). Portis previously accomplished the feat in his final four games of 2003 with Denver and posted his fifth consecutive 120-yard game in 2004 when he joined Washington.

Following are game-by-game rushing totals of Portis' five consecutive games with 120 or more rushing yards in 2003-04 and his four consecutive games with 120 or more rushing yards this season:

PORTIS' 2003-04 STREAK PORTIS' 2008 STREAK (ACTIVE)
DATE OPPONENT YARDS DATE OPPONENT YARDS
11/23/03 Chicago 165 9/28/08 at Dallas 121
11/30/03 at Oakland 170 10/05/08 at Philadelphia 145
12/07/03 Kansas City 218 10/12/08 St. Louis 129
12/14/03 Cleveland 139 10/19/08 Cleveland 175
9/12/04* Tampa Bay 148 10/26/08 at Detroit ???
* With Washington in 2004

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 23, 2008; 8:14 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marinelli, the Coach Whisperer
Next: Daddy, Where Do Big Hits Come From?

Comments

FELLS GOOD TO BE 1ST IN LINE
HI MOM HI MOM 'HI MOM

Posted by: poolman1200000 | October 23, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I hope be breaks two 60 yard runs for touchdowns in the first qt and head to the bench for the rest of the game.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 23, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Great story jason, portis will have a challege. how in the world can I be 1st and 2nd. Someone please help me figure that out. LOL LOL

Posted by: poolman1200000 | October 23, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

The only way (?) that Portis can do this is with the help of the Washington Redskins HOGS!!!

Posted by: rillbizi | October 23, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Remember this team doesn't do so well when it's favored. No reason to think that the 'Skins shouldn't win by 10 or more, which is why I think they won't. The offense will struggle again but Portis has another monster game.

Redskins 17
Lions 14

Posted by: Schroeder12 | October 23, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I agree more or less with JM220, I would like to see it don, maybe in a 80 yard scamper on 1st down for a TD and a 45 yard run on the 2nd drive. Then let him take a nap

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Well I know the fan's (us) have been less boisterous than we were against the Rams

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Zorn said rookie receiver Malcolm Kelly, who practiced Wednesday, is scheduled for an MRI on his knee this week.

"It's another MRI just to see why it's swelling and if there is anything floating around in there," Zorn said. "I think it will give us knowledge and it seems to be a re-occurring issue and eventually we'll give him a chance to get well and will let us be able to get another guy that can actually participate and be a factor."

Kelly has been active for two games this year and has one catch.

Davis coming along

Rookie tight end Fred Davis played a season-high 14 snaps (not including penalties) against Cleveland. He played 15 in his first five games.

"Early in the week, I saw there was more stuff in there for me to make a couple plays and make some blocks," he said.

Davis lost 3 yards on an end-around run and Campbell overthrew him after he got open downfield.

Davis said he feels comfortable with his route-running but continues to work on blocking without holding.

"Fred's been doing a great job - he's better than most of the tight ends we play against," fellow tight end Chris Cooley said. "He's working his way through the offense and getting the feel of things."

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 23, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 |

That is true. LOL

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 23, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tafka | October 23, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Based on this story we should change the coaches nickname to Jim of all triads Zorn

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

What is the significance of 120 yards?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Check out Cooley's blog today. Yoder posts some pictures of a bruise he got last game...WOW is all I can say...it looks painful...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 23, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep BTW

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

JASON CAMPBELL FRONT COVER USA TODAY SPORTS WEEKLY: Got my subscription in the mail yesterday nice article on JC and his relationship with coach Zorn and how Zorn used "tough love" to get Jason to the next level not sure i agree with all that but none the less a nice piece on the qb and the coach.Clinton is playing inspired football obviously but what is impressive is his approach every game he and London Fletcher are the heart and soul leaders of this team.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 23, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope this is ALL CP has in common with OJ

Posted by: Section303 | October 23, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope this is ALL CP has in common with OJ

Posted by: Section303

That's just too funny.

Posted by: HelzYea2DaSkinz | October 23, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

OJ was always a slasher.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The man is a stud and brings it on every play! I love his ability and his heroic work ethic! I want to see him break all the records!

One thing I would like to see him work on is keeping the ball on the opposite side of the defenders. He frequently has the ball in his right hand while running to the left with defenders coming at him from that side. He does not fumble the ball, but he loses the opportunity to stiff-arm the defender in these instances. I feel Stump Mitchell should work with him to correct this. I am sure I am not the only one to see this.

But I did not write to criticize the man, I wrote to let him know how much I appreciate everything he does for our team. I love the way he plays! I would not trade him for any other back in the league!

Posted by: txfort | October 23, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse