Portis Working Out

Portis is doing agility drills on the field right now, working out for trainers.

Portis, who has a tear in his left MCL, is n shorts, cleats and a long sleeved shirt - it's legitimately cold out here tonight - sliding from side to side, doing quick bursts, getting his knees.

Director of rehab Larry Hess and running backs coach Stump Mitchell are the field with Portis, with Coach Jim Zorn and head athletic trainer John Burrell watching about 20 yards away on the sidelines.

Portis has finished the roughly 15-minute workout and is meeting with seven other people on the sidelines, including Zorn, Burrell, director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer. Portis seems to be in good spirits, smiling, walking off the field talking to Zorn.

Collective gut feeling of the schlubs watching this is that No. 26 is playing.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 16, 2008; 5:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis, Springs Still In Limbo; Evans to Start
Next: Springs Tests Injured Calf

Comments

DALLAS SUCKS!!! that is all

Posted by: skins1110 | November 16, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Let's go CP

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 16, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Does Springs ever really WANT to play?

Posted by: austin987654 | November 16, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

What is a schlub?

Posted by: captjim | November 16, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

schlub also shlub (shlŭb) Pronunciation Key
n. Slang
A person regarded as clumsy, stupid, or unattractive.

[Yiddish, from Polish żłób, trough, blockhead.]

Posted by: austin987654 | November 16, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

but I don't want him to play if he's not 100%, we have Ladell, but he's also not 100%...i really want Rock to have some carries tonight, i love Rock. why does no one ever give him a chance?? hes better than alexander, alexander doesn't do squat and he's super slow.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 16, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

i love rock as a KR but he's fumble prone and not a great RB.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | November 16, 2008; 5:22 PM ET

Whatever they shot into Portis's knee, hope they give him another shot of it at halftime.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

So, what group is "clumsy, stupid, or unattractive"?

Is Jason La Canfora jewish? Is that the joke? I still don't get it.

I guess I'm too old to get this internet blog stuff. But I still enjoy all of your musings - especially "The Truth" craig2, talent evaluator, and the rest of the regular gang. Keep it up!

GO SKINS!

Somebody PLEASE take that picture of John Riggins in the pink shirt off of the front of the Washington Post Internet Sports page.

Posted by: captjim | November 16, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I just read a comment on redskins.com blog that said they heard on ESPN radio 980 that Portis is not playing tonight. Can anyone confirm this?

Posted by: redryan400 | November 16, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

ok y'all, dont hate on me for this one...I'm in a crucial fantasy matchup. its about as important as this Washington/Dallas game itself in terms of playoff implications...

DO i start Portis or Barber????

please help me out.

Posted by: OptimisticSkin | November 16, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

i love rock as a KR but he's fumble prone and not a great RB.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 5:42 PM

You and I are in a small minority of people who don't believe in The Legend of Rock Cartwright. As an RB he strikes me more as Rock Cartwrong. But, we could still do a lot worse than handing the ball to him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

capt--I think that Jasno refers to himself and the other journalists as "schlubs" in a self-deprecating manner, although he believes that's how he's treated by the Redskins. And, he's in a better position to know that than we are. So, if he wants to be known as a shlub, we all go along with it to keep him feeding us more Insider information.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

...let's hope MK plays and CP sits [for the long haul]...

Posted by: bobeaston | November 16, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hate saying this we should sit Portis - we need him the rest of the season and the Cowboys will go right for his knee.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 16, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

T_E...I love Rock, hes a great Redskin as Gibbs would say. Awesome Special Teams guy but yes, he's not a RB and Alexander, although soft, I would rather him be running if we needed it but we don't...go Betts and Portis(maybe)

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

for the fantasy...im starting Betts (I have Portis too)...Barber never has good games against the Skins. Don't see that changing here with Romo back.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Frank Hanrohallan of the mighty 980 says CP is out. FWIW.

Posted by: ridgely1 | November 16, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Is it really true, ridgely1? Hanrahan usually knows this stuff...

Posted by: rachel216 | November 16, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey everybody,
I've been listening to 980 AM since 4:445.
I can't believe I still have 2 hours 15 minutes until kickoff!

is CP saying he is ready to play?
How?
He been dogging it this week?
He didn't stay in town to do treatment either.

What do you think Zorn thinks of this?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 16, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for responding Talent, but I still don't get it.

As a bit of perspective, the Cowboys game really didn't used to be such a big deal. I think it all changed sometime around 1975 - maybe with George Allen coming on as coach?

When you get old the memory is the 2nd thing to go!

I do remember sitting in RFK in the pouring rain with my grandchildren - while beating another team - the Eagles I think on the way to the playoffs. The rain was pouring down so hard and the entire stands were chanting "WE WANT DALLAS, WE WANT DALLAS"!!! The entire stadioum was shaking. I thought our section - 133 (which normally was a mellow section) would fall from the stadium. I always thought Griffith Stadioum could never be replaced for home field advantage. That day changed my mind.

Sorry for the nostalgia...

Posted by: captjim | November 16, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

skins are 6-3
Skins have not been 7-3 since 1996
Norv's team that collapsed and didn't even make the playoffs.

1996?
That's the last year Dallas won a playoff game.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 16, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

We can't confirm that. He worked out on the field and was smiling and talking as he walked off. That doesn't sound like someone who isn't going to play...I wouldn't think Portis would be too merry if he couldn't go...

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 16, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

We need Devin to have a breakout game tonight!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 16, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis ... meet Willis Reed

Posted by: cej75024 | November 16, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

captjim, I think Riggo's comfortable enough in his own skin that he doesn't really care how people think he looks in that pink t-shirt.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Does Springs ever really WANT to play?
Posted by: austin987654 | November 16, 2008 5:33 PM

I’m with you on this……IMO he hasn’t really been into it at all this year….they said he was thinking about retiring this offseason. I think he’s collecting his refuse-to-renegotiate salary this year and then calling it quits….

This is the first I am hearing that he and Portis have ligament tears though….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 16, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

can't wait to see those towels!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 16, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Hello Captjim,
You posted skins Cowboys wasn't a big deal until 1975?

Huh?
You are sadly mistaken.
I recall vividly playing Dallas twice in the 1970 season. The fans hated losing to Dallas, and hated Dallas.
Recall vividly cheering AGAINST the Cowboys vs. the Colts in the SB following the 1970 season.

And George Allen came to the Skins in 1971, and poured gasoline an an already flammable rivalry. And the rivalry ignited like never before and suddenly George was calling the week of the Dallas game "This is Dallas week"
The entire viewing area was pumped and ready!

Hey CaptJim, I'm sure you are pumped for tonight. What is your favorite Skins Dallas memory?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 16, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a doctor, but I know someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. We both agree that if Director of rehab Larry Hess, running backs coach Stump Mitchell, Coach Jim Zorn, head athletic trainer John Burrell, and Clinton Portis himself think it's safe for him to be out there, then it's safe for him to be out there.

I, personally, think the whole thing's been a bit of a charade to keep the Cowboys (and the Redskins fans) guessing, but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so what do I know?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

What are you talking about Redskin Ray? Portis was here all week getting treatment. If you meant the bye week, he was here at least some of the time because he was a host (or something like that) at a local fundraiser.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 16, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Vinny just said CP looked good and will play.

Wonder how Betts, Alexander, Rock feel about this, seeing they all worked during the week and CP did not, and in addition CP did not get the treatment he was supposed to?

Anyone know, is Deangelo Hall running back punts tonight?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 16, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Ray, CSN reported that CP will only play sparingly because he did not practice.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 16, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Does Springs ever really WANT to play?
Posted by: austin987654 | November 16, 2008 5:33 PM

I’m with you on this……IMO he hasn’t really been into it at all this year….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 16, 2008 6:12 PM |

I don't know where you two are getting this. My impression is that he wants to play more than Obama wants to be President. And he likes to practice less than Sarah Palin would like to have an abortion. And this year? I'd read that he's dedicated this season to the memory of Sean Taylor.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Hello Lisa, How are you doing this evening?
Yes, Skins officials confirmed last week that in the days following the Steeler's game CP flew out of town whileinjured and needing treatment.

CP revealed that what mattered more to him was time away than wise use of time off to get treatment.

thanks for asking and giving me opportunity to clear up what CP actually did that disappointed / frustrated the Staff.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 16, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

CSN?

Again, I was quoting Vinny who I heard w/ my own ears state
a. CP looked good
b. CP will play

If that is sparingly, I don't know, as Vinny did not make that distinction.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 16, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

You are probably right Redskin Ray about the years - it's been so long ago. My memory is definitely stalling!

My favorite Rediskin memory is when Dexter Manley planted Danny White and made him cry on the sidelines.

My worst memory is Clint Longley throwing 2 touchdown passes to beat us on Thanksgiving.

Only 2 Cowgirls I ever respected - Rodger Staubach (a NAVY grad - WOO HOO!!!!!!) and Coach Tom Landry. The rest can kiss my grits!

GO SKINS!

Thanks for setting my years straught Ray!

Posted by: captjim | November 16, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse