A few notable absences at Redskins' practice

Today is the final day of organized team activities at Redskins Park this off-season, and several veteran players were not on the practice field.

Running back Clinton Portis was the most noticeable absence, especially as he faces competition from off-season additions Larry Johnson and Willie Parker. (Not to mention the Redskins' confirmed interest in free agent Brian Westbrook.)

Portis was present at the OTAs the past two days, according to a source, and it isn't clear whether today's absence was excused.

Also not on the practice field were safety LaRon Landry, who has missed the past three weeks, and linebacker Rocky McIntosh, who has yet to sign his contract tender. Defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday was also absent because he was attending a charity function in Atlanta, a team official said. Linebacker Andre Carter also was not on the field, and defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was not in attendance.

Several players worked on the side, including defensive lineman Greg Peterson, wide receivers Marques Hagans and Roydell Williams and linebacker Jeremy Jarmon.

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 10, 2010; 11:50 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Larry Johnson , Redskins by Position , Running backs , offseason workouts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins sign Furrey to bolster receiving corps
Next: Teammates eagerly await Haynesworth

Comments

First to say a few bloggas appear to be absent as well. Not sure if they are axcused or not.

Posted by: wireman65 | June 10, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

~@~

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 10, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

My FIRST posting is a FIRST!

Posted by: WestCoastHokie | June 10, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

My FIRST posting is a FIRST!

Posted by: WestCoastHokie | June 10, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

fuh fuh fuh fuh fail.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 10, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be amazing if they wrote blogs when I missed a voluntary day work, or even if I had one of those... Ahhh well I guess I am not so important.

Posted by: Burrasta1 | June 10, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope fat albert really does show up in shape.

He was another prior regime screw up.

He got paid about 4 mil per game he played in

I hope he has a monster year n maybe some other team will cough up that 2nd rounder we want for him

When all is said n done I think we have another year of maaaaajjjooorrr turn around. We need youth at every position

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 10, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

My FIRST posting is a FIRST!

Posted by: WestCoastHokie | June 10, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

fuh fuh fuh fuh fail.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

lmao.

MustStopGettingHypedBecuaseYouThinkYouWereFirst@iLookLikeAnIdiotwhenI'mNot.biz

Posted by: RedDMV | June 10, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

With two WRs down, the Furrey signing makes a bit more sense.

Posted by: TWISI | June 10, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

LOL...I'm still amazed that Vlade crafted himself a really nice career--mostly on perennial playoff teams--and yet his legacy is that he's the most notorious player in NBA history at over-exaggerated flops under the basket.
What an ultra maroon.
Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2010 11:37 AM

He used to crack me up. My favorite Vlade bit was that gilette (or whatever razor blade) commercial he did where the “plug” was that it didn’t irritate your face. Vlade’s line after his clean shave was “I am no longer irritating!”…..I used to shout (every time) at the tv; “YES YOU ARE!!!” HA!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

So where’s Landry? And why no drivel/speculation about how he hates the new defense and refuses to play in a 3-4? Certainly therew must be a source with knowledge of the situation....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Vlade smoked a pack of Marlboro Reds a day.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 10, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I wonder why Clinton is not at practice?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

The long awaited "Mandatory Minicamp" is just around the corner.

a.) Albert Haynesworth will appear fit and ready to go.

b.) Albert Haynesworth will appear out of shape.

c.) Albert Haynesworth's attendance will go unnoticed by the media.

d.) Albert Haynesworth's attendance will feature a media-circus so unseemingly it's scope would make Paris Hilton blush.

e.) Albert Haynesworth will laugh off all the chatta about playing not wanting to play nose tackle, and remind everyone he's due a Father's Day card this year.

Moe goes with 'd'.

And he's blushing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2010 9:39 AM

f.) Albert Haynesworth refuses to show up and demands a trade because he doesn't want to be a team player. And doesn't care about the fines because he can afford it.

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 10, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 10, 2010 12:24 PM

Dude, you just started your post with “F Albert Haynesworth”. Prepare to be assaulted by P1Funk.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"I know the convenient thing to do is for us to lump DT/MK together given the circumstances, but they are 2 entirely different people and players."

All players are different.

That goes without saying.

The good ones, though, just have enough distinguishing features to separate themselves from others.

MK/DT get lumped together as they've done nothing to individualize themselves in terms of production.

The word is one can't learn the plays well enough to play effortlessly, and the other is just a guy with a big body.

They have tools without the knowledge of how to best use them.

Look, guys stay in the NFL for, what 3-4 years on the average?

And so, if a guy hasn't done anything to make himself 'standout' after 3 years, his shelf life is about up.

The clock is ticking for MK/DT.

Whoever they are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

ok... but how about the players who are on the field?

or is this one of those "no press allowed" days at Ashburn?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

oh heck ya he can afford it!!!

The down side is no one wants that jerk. They see how he treats use n they would never take on that contract!!! The reason we got him is cuz he used to pay eveeeryone, minus big als stripper ex. I guess that one falls on him tho. At this point I would take a 3rd rounder for him if anybody would even give up that.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 10, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

The disturbing trend continues for Laron Landry. If he doesn't think it necessary to show up the last 3 weeks, under a new regime and coming off of a substandard year, that reflects poorly on his work ethic and desire to be great.

Posted by: Jason10 | June 10, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

At least soccer isn't as boring to watch on TV on the level of Golf and Bowling.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 10, 2010 11:25 AM

I think golf is actually awesome to watch on television

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 11:28 AM

Red, watching soccer is better because, for all it's flaws, it is still watching a genuine sport.

Bowling and golf are games, not sports... although bowling at least moves a little faster.

I'd put golf somewhere between playing chess and throwing darts on the "games" scale--not much fun to watch, but I might read about it when it's over.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 10, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

So is Landry injured in any way or he just lazy and not coming in?

Posted by: monk811 | June 10, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey moodly, quick question: do you have anything to do with this wonderful product which, no doubt, has a presence in many an office of RI commenters?

Posted by: --swb | June 10, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What is the deal on westbrook, is he in or out?

Posted by: chulaivet65 | June 10, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | June 10, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I would have to say that golf ranks as a sport (IMO)……. I just don’t understand how ESPN seems to think that these poker tournaments are somehow sports oriented, much less interesting.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

ok... but how about the players who are on the field?

or is this one of those "no press allowed" days at Ashburn?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

They only want to cause drama Moo cow, come on you should know that. Good news is no news. Why do you think nobody knows about www.gnn.com?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 10, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | June 10, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Golf is a sport, and it's actually widely considered the most difficult sport on Earth.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Paul Tenorio might have reported late to work this morning. It is still unclear why this might have happened. While this reporter does not know why I'll go ahead and speculate to say that a lot of recent unemployed college grads would not mind having his job at the WP. Get it? Get some supporting facts with the BS about how Portis better be here to beat out the other RB's in camp.. it's trashy dude.

Posted by: MajorFacemask | June 10, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"...even some quick impressions of what is actually happening would be more informative than the attendance roll call."

Bro', they are practicing in helmets and shorts.

There's no hitting.

They are doing drills and reviewing scheme issues.

There is nothing magical going on.

But, you know like I do, if the NFL Network put OTAs on a live feed by team, they'd call it the NFL Offseason Ticket, and make a mint.

And I'd be the first guy with a subscription.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Someone needs to smack Laron Landry up against his head. That guy is looking more and more like a bust and he has the gall to skip what almost all the other vets are participating in?!?
In the immortal words of Cheech and Chong "Bailiff, WHACK HIS PEE PEE!!"

Posted by: pd2710 | June 10, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: --swb | June 10, 2010 12:37 PM

mol... a wonderful trick for mini moo in elementary school was to take the Land o' Lakes box, delicately cut the butter out of the hands of the unsuspecting Indian maiden, then fold the cardboard so that her knees appeared where her breasts should be.

I would link to an image, but WaPo probably does not approve of such tomfoolery.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

In the immortal words of Cheech and Chong "Bailiff, WHACK HIS PEE PEE!!"

Posted by: pd2710 | June 10, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Al,

Golf & Bowling?

Cool to play. I like to play real Golf on the courses and all that -- Although I kinda suck at it. With Bowling there is nothing like getting hammered with all your peoples and heading out for a little bowling.

Watch Golf & Bowling on TV?

Hell. No.

Agree. WTF is poker doing on TV?

Posted by: RedDMV | June 10, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"Golf is a sport and it's actually widely considered the most difficult sport on Earth."

The former track/distance coach and athlete in me wants to ask all the, "That sport is boring to watch..." dudes one simple question:

Is there some sport you actually play or do you spend gobs of time sitting in front of a flatscreen hoping to be entertained?

And Wii Sports, Playstation, and XBOX based games don't count.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Just what exactly is 'notable' about these abscences?

Posted by: ElPresidente1984 | June 10, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 10, 2010 12:40 PM

the gnn.com link reminded me that parkour is strikingly absent from the various lists purporting to describe athletic activities that are fun/boring to watch.

well-done parkour would go near the top of my fun list, just below skateboarding and freestyle BMX.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 10, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Drunk bowling is the shiz. I actually got hammered and wore the bowling shoes home on accident. I got out of my buddies truck when he pulled in my driveway, looked down and was like WTF?!

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Just what exactly is 'notable' about these abscences?

Posted by: ElPresidente1984 | June 10, 2010 12:51 PM |

I'd say the Landry absence is notable in that it gives coaches more of an opportunity to see Doughty and Moore working as a tandem, which may prove to be the best combination of safety play the Skins have.

Posted by: TWISI | June 10, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

also forgot big-wave surfing, although the competition format is way too slow, so it goes near the bottom.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

With regime changes, people weed themselves out. We shall see soon who will play themselves out of a job. It doesn't seem that Shanahan or Allen have any obligations to play any of these guys except for Donovan McNabb.

Posted by: rickyroge | June 10, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Difficulty does not make something a sport. Golf is not about athletics, it's about skills... much like bowling or chess. I have a hard time convincing myself Kevin Stadler and Colin Montgomerie represent 2 of the world's premier athletes.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 10, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

And I'd be the first guy with a subscription.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2010 12:42 PM
=============================

Speaking of which. My coworker (yesterday) told me that there is a daily 30 minute show called RedskinsNation... but I see online that Larry Michael is the host.

anyone think its worth watching? maybe I'll tivo it.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | June 10, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, CP might actually get cut.

(Giant eye roll).

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 10, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

frak isn't here, so ill say something frak-ing stupid for him:

Albert Haynesworth will show up at Redskins park on June 12, stomp on Shanahan's head and steal Dan Snyder's wallet, while wearing nothing but a thong and pasties, smeared head-to-toe with Crisco.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 10, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Heheheh, Texas in the MegaMutha Pacific -38...Should be a boon to the struggling airlines..NCAA's gotta go to playoffs...

Boy, Carroll sh*tsure pulled a Calipari and got the Hell outta Dodge..Don't tell me he wasn't aware of hanky-panky..Then they turned around and hired that Tennessee Turncoat..He'll last one or two years before the Federalis throw him in a Mexican dungeun..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | June 10, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

A golfer is just as athletic as a MLB pitcher.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo, Albert, Fletcher are all among the most talented players at their positions. Hall, Rogers, Landry, Carter, Rocky are all high quality talent. We have a good number of capable players, Daniels, Doughty, Horton, Golston as complements to the core group.

This group has the talent to be a #1 in the league defense. It would be nice to see it come close to its potential.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 2:07 AM

Not sure I'd go that far zeke...there are some nice pieces on the defense, but most of them will be playing out of their ideal position in this new defense. It doesn't do a heckuva lot of good to have guys like Andre Carter, London Fletcher, or Rocky McIntosh if you're not going to play them at their natural positions. I expect to see the D take a step back this season as a result of the scheme change.

Posted by: brownwood26

agreed. which is why I said talent. Whether they have the scheme or desire ... is another question. Hugely underachieved relative to the talent in 2009.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna defend TV golf as completely watchable as a second endeavor, such as working or floggin' the blogs.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 10, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 10, 2010 12:40 PM

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

haha Parkour. The wipeouts are really intense though.

I really enjoy skating videos for some reason, I could watch them all day (background visuals/audio that is)

I think Fuel TV is the greatest background noise/visuals channel there is...but Parkour, hahahahaha.

PS - speaking of surfing have you checked out the documentary "Riding Giants"? It makes me want to conquer the world, greatest doc ever.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 10, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh! Hi frak.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 10, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2010 12:42 PM

yeah, I'd probably be tempted slurp up a subscription to NFL Offseason Ticket.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Still he doesn't get a pass for coming up with the most punk move tactic in sports history.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 10, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Bill Laimbeer would punch you in the mouth if he heard you say that, Vlade stole all his moves.

A cornerstone of the famed "Bad Boys" championship teams in Detroit, Laimbeer was vilified around the league for his aggressive play, head games and the trademark "Laimbeer flop." He was the most hated player in the league during his heyday. Legendary Celtics broadcaster Johnny Most dubbed him, simply, "The Flopper."

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 10, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise

I do not want to see this, especially on youtube, over and over again

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Whatever, webbie..But don't get nasty about my mother, cowrt..Just cuz you can censor my comebacks to your juvenile insults, don't blow your wad in a power-gasm..BFD..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I consider a sport a competition where there is a clear cut winner, by points, time or count. I don't consider figure skating a sport because it's judged. A sport has a final score, thus making golf a sport..

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 1:04 PM

Then you classify bowling as a sport, and possibly chess? Bowling clearly meets your criteria.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 10, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

A sampling of memorable Laimbeer moments:

• Accused by Chris Webber on Nov. 28, 1993 of flopping on a rebound attempt 70 seconds into the game, then sticking his leg out and causing Webber to sprain his ankle and leave the game -- the only scoreless regular-season appearance of Webber's career.

• The Mavericks reportedly once used clips of Laimbeer flops as an instructional tool.

• His flopping performances in nearly every playoff matchup against Robert Parish and the Celtics in the mid-to-late 1980s are legendary.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 10, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse
------------------------

If exercise is your aim, then I am your golfer. I am laser accurate, provided your laser is held by Micheal J Fox

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 10, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody happen to spot a BACK UP LEFT TACKLE, a BACK UP CENTER, or a STARTING CALIBER RIGHT TACKLE?

Or were those positions all absent?

Rookie Trent Williams versus Demarcus Ware, versus Trent Cole, Versus Justin Tuck . . . rhymes with oh -

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | June 10, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | June 10, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes, bowling is a sport. The argument is there for chess but it's a stretch.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Boldin woulda been sweet. Ever since he first started b*tchin for a new deal in Arizona like 3 years ago I've been wanting us to pull the trigger on him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of possible free agent WRs for next year, we really need a change.

Posted by: monk811

I coulda sworn there was someone up here itching for us to get Boldin a couple years back. Recall any of that Beantown?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

During the 1989 Eastern Conference finals against Chicago, Laimbeer somewhat acknowledged his use of flopping but said he had moved on.

"You can't pin that on me now," Laimbeer told the Washington Post. "You don't hear about me flopping. Now I'm just a dirty player. What happened was, instead of me falling back and trying to draw the foul, I just started hitting people. It's not malicious or dirty, it's just that now there's a collision instead of me falling."

I remember as a kid watching this guy play and realizing he was a complete jack arse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 10, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Redcherokee

Paris Hilton's Blush glands were surgically removed last month and stuffed into her Boob glands along with her appendix, one of her two kidneys, several gallons of Moodlymoodlymoocow's best milk, three caraway seeds and an agent's heart.

I read it in the Enquirer, so it must be true.

Posted by: TheCork | June 10, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

This year is still all about the offensive line (first, it's not not great, and second, it's one injury away from total crap again) - maybe Westbrook is supposed to be an outside-the-pocket threat to keep defensive coordinators from blitzing too much? Like read blitz and
dump it to Westbrook in the flat.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | June 10, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 10, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to be running full speed for the duration of some event for it to be considered a sport. Is NASCAR a sport?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise

I do not want to see this, especially on youtube, over and over again

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 1:09 PM

At 350 lbs, man.. he wouldn't be able to keep his balance especially with Crisco. He'd slip and fall backwards which would make the video the most funniest on youtube.

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 10, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

At least Ja-La leveraged his undeniable hate of the Redskins to post controversial stuff- which in turn made reading comments interesting... I can't beleive I'm saying this - but I sorta miss him. This is getting pathetic.

Posted by: mountjacksonmudcats | June 10, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Walking an 18-hole course in July is more of a workout than any MLB player gets in 9 innings."

Posted by: iH8dallas

You cannot be serious. 90 year old nuns have walked across America. Anyone who is not disabled can walk. I'll take the worst MLB benchwarmer any day over the fittest pro golfer. Match the two up in any kind of athletic activity--speed, stamina, strength tests, whatever--and the MLB player would obliterate the pro golfer. In fact, the pro golfer might have to quit early because his bra snapped.

Posted by: nuzuw | June 10, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is in good shape. I know somebody who saw in person recently and said he had slimmed down from last year. Hell be physically ready.... as far as mentally prepared, I can't vouch for that...

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

And Wii Sports, Playstation, and XBOX based games don't count.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2010 12:49 PM

But bowling and golf do? Well, OK, I used to run track and play organized basketball in school... I still play a lot of basketball, but some of my fatter friends are reduced to golf and bowling from time to time. I guess they're still athletes, I just didn't see it!

Between those chubsters and the little old ladies kicking my azz in bowling, I should probably throw back some malt liquor and load up on the chicken wings because my strength training and aerobics regimen sure aren't improving my bowling as much as their "training" techniques.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Lane Kiffin's team gets two years of no bowls, loses 20 scholarships and a 2005 National Championship...couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | June 10, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

noticed the item on Vincent Jackson someone mentioned on the last thread. He's holding out for more $$. Love to have him here in DC. He might require a 2nd rounder + a player. Still, a reasonable price to pay for a guy who is in the vicinity of a Pro Bowl player.

Here's the rub. We already used the 2009 2nd on McNabb. Our 2011 3rd and 4th can't be used because the McNabb trade committed both of them.

And I'm sure we're still going to need to try to draft long term starters for the OL. The OL is easily priority #1. we hope Trent Williams solves one problem, but there are several more to go.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Dayum WaPo..... SMMFH @ how y'all be on CP's nutsack 24/7/365.....

He missed 2 MoFo OTAs and it deserves all this special treatment.....It's OTAs he gonna be aaight man....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I would say that bowling and golf are sports because you have to be physically talented enough to be the best at them. Something like Chess is pure strategy, and while there is a clear winner (just like all “games”) anyone can become good with enough practice. A lot of people actually argue (not me) that Tiger Woods is one of the greatest “athletes” alive……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

ooops, that was the 2010 2nd rounder on McNabb, gotta update my calendar

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 10, 2010 12:24 PM

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Assault? No.

I'm a lover, not a fighter, and I love the irrational vitriol that folks tend to spew about Albert - it's amusing.

Funny thing is that there are probably a bunch of folks who look at option (f) and think to themselves - "Yeah, I hope that happens. I hope that rotten Albert Haynesworth stays away from the team for good."

As if the Redskins would be better off paying the man $40 mill, just to have him sit at home while Greg Peterson takes his place in the lineup.

...yeah, that'll teach AH about who he's messing with...

Posted by: p1funk | June 10, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

Settle... I was merely taking a dig at how bad I am at golf.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 10, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

My bad, gatorskinz.

Double-multi-super-uber Ffffffffff Bill Laimbeer . I didn't know of his antics since his days were sort of before my time.

You'd thin someone who was on the "Bad Boy Pistons" wouldn't resort to such a 'itch made tactic.

Flopping = I don't have the skills to play you like the game intended, so I'll just do 'itch up.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 10, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Something like Chess is pure strategy ... anyone can become good with enough practice.

Posted by: dlhaze1

I don't think so ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

If we could even get in the mix for vincent jackson ill be stoked. This is another guy where I wish we would go get this unhappy player!!!

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 10, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Are golfers athletes? I mean Craig Stadler? The Walrus? Seriously.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | June 10, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I would just like to add that the notion that only 'clear cut winners' define sports excludes about 90% of boxing. Just sayin...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 10, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 1:32 PM

What would really be cool is a combine for golfers... measure them in the 40, bench press, high jump, assorted drills.

You'd probably lose half your top golfers to injury in such an event... or, as nuzuw so eloquently put it, they might have to quit early because their bra snapped, LOL.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 10, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

oh come on guys with your chess/golf/bowling comparisons. can we agree that a sport is PHYSICAL - i.e. it requires physical coordination and skills?

there is NO physical component to chess - so it's a game (the best game ever, btw...). golf, bowling, darts and even baseball are sports. poker is a game.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 10, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about NASCAR being a sport, but it does take skill to whip your car around a curb doing over 150 mph while driving in manual.

Most people couldn't do it with an automatic engine.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 10, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Professional Dart Throwing is a sport......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

of course by my own definition above, that kids' game "operation" is a sport - it requires physical skill...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 10, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

If Albert is in shape and motivated on Sept 1, than Shanahan did his job well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 10, 2010 1:41 PM

agreed

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1,
as far as a "clear cut winner", i hear you, but that's not the distinction. what you're getting at is "judging". i agree a sport's winner cannot be decided by a judge. therefor diving, gymnastics, ice skating (except races, and maybe barrel-jumping) SHOULD NOT be in the olympics. sure, they're difficult, and physical, but not sports. ballet may be difficult, but is not a sport.

other not-sports include hula hoop and toilet-paper dancing:

btw, it's totally crazy to me they give "style point" in ski-jumping. that's the perfect quantifiable, clear-cut winner sport: the winner jumps the farthest.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 10, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Unless you have a slew of super stars, which Skins don't, you need to produce a supreme and unified effort, ala Gibbs 1, by all 53. All these attitudes that were tolerated by Zorn/Cerrato will have to either change under Shanny or he should let them go. My gut tells me "His Fatness" will not make the opening day roster - a sad monument to years of reckless spending.

Posted by: just-the-facts | June 10, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

If Albert is in shape and motivated on Sept 1, than Shanahan did his job well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 1:44 PM

Seriously I hope that happens.

I know Haynesworth is probably gonna be angry the whole summer but it'll be a good driving force for him. We need a pissed-off unstoppable monster in our defensive line and I'm hoping to see that. In a good way.

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 10, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

hope fat albert really does show up in shape.

He was another prior regime screw up.

He got paid about 4 mil per game he played in

_________________________________________

This is much ado, about nothing, if you Google Albert Haynesorth working out in Tennessee, you will see video of Haynesworth working out with his personal trainer doing football related strength and conditioning drills during April and May and explaining why he feels he benefits more from working with his guy. Don't believe the hype of these so called pundits, the second he burst through the line like no other lineman can on this team and only a handful in the league can, this voluntary workout stuff will be forgotten.

Posted by: impartial1 | June 10, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee |

exactly. If Albert played his best when he's happy, I'd want him happy.

But I think he's one of those guys where happiness leads to fat and dumb. Will we get more out of a po'd Albert with something to prove? I think so.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nuzuw | June 10, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok, if that's your argument. Kevin Durant could barely brench press the bar at the NBA combine. I guess he isn't an athlete.

And there is a reason that there is a Senior Tour, at a certain age the older guys just can't compete with the younger guys on the tour.

You act like there aren't fat slobs in the NFL. One of whom is discussed here on a regular basis.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 10, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Not really, boxing is judged on punches thrown/landed etc. Not on how pretty the fighter looks doing it.

Granted sometimes the judging is a little shady at best.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth could come in with 1% body fat and running a 4 minute mile and a lot of the folks up here would still not be happy.

The haters are going to hate no matter what he does this year.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

San Diego is not likely to dump Jackson for a 2nd and a player. They are going to make a run at a Super Bowl and certainly want there best wr. They do not want a player with the pick. When teams trade top players they are looking for a large haul in terms of draft picks. See Marshall, Boldin and Williams trades. It would probably take at least a 1st and a 4th to get Jackson. San Diego probably still would not make that deal as they are trying to win it all this year.

Unfortunately the skins have way too many holes to mortgage the future for a big time trade. They really need additional picks in the upcoming drafts to fill out the oline with starter quality players and decent backups. They have some aging players on defense. Fletcher - 35. Carter 31, Daniels 37, Maake 31. Carriker should end up replacing Daniels.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 10, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Landry will be fine. He's hanging out with David Boston, doing P90X and playing Madden.

Posted by: dfbovey | June 10, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I will be the first to chime in and say LL has been out precisely as long as Atogwe has been on the market, yes?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 10, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Are golfers athletes? I mean Craig Stadler? The Walrus? Seriously.
Posted by: Kenbeatrizz
-----------------------
Usually these stupid kind of comments come from chops who can't break 100. Get good enough to qualify for and play in a major amateur tournament, then tell us about it.

As far as great "athletes", baseball is full of hitters that otherwise are not: Adam Dunn, Cecil Fielder, etc. And what about shot-putters and weight-lifters? Think they would be very good in a running contest of ANY length?

Posted by: shanks1 | June 10, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shanks1 | June 10, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

This reminds me of my old Track & Field days. The shotputters relay was always the most entertaining event.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I ran the 1600, 800 and 400 relay. I tried shotput and it went all of 10 feet.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 10, 2010 2:18

Pretty much agreed. Our priority is OL -- McNabb needs to be protected -- plus it'd help if our run game wasn't a disaster.

Still ... if we were to make a run a VJax, the player we'd give up would need to change an SD weakness into a strength. SD has decent young WRs, a superb TE and the best 3rd down back in football. SD still has a very good passing game without VJax.

Not sure if there's a fit, but SD has had issues on defense. Carlos Rogers + Andre Carter for VJax?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

any stragglers here?

if so, time to moooooooooove along.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 10, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

plus it'd help if our run game wasn't a disaster.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

What are you talking about? Disaster? Just because we have some old dinosaurs around doesn't mean anything, it's not like anything disasterous ever happened to the dinosaurs.....wait.....are we counting the ice age?...........screw it, we're in deep sh*t.......why couldn't this be 1996?

Posted by: monk811 | June 10, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse