A Super Bowl for Washington? Why? Why not?

If New York/New Jersey can land a Super Bowl, why not Washington, D.C., which is, after all, our nation's capital? Redskins owner Daniel Snyder isn't, ahem, opposed to the idea, according to a story by Mark Maske. How do you feel about that? The cold-weather Super Bowl is a hot topic at The League.

By Cindy Boren  |  May 26, 2010; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Daniel M. Snyder
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roger Goodell does not address Santana Moss situation
Next: Albert Haynesworth targeted in $10 million paternity suit, report says

Comments

Frankly, I think Northern Virginia should be awarded the Super Bowl. I live in the District and don't want the traffic (or the WMD attack risk).

Posted by: dcsween | May 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I honestly would rather they NOT have the Super Bowl at FedEx. It's only going to make traffic worse. What's really to gain? FedEx is a horrible stadium in a crappy location.

Posted by: heycisco01 | May 26, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

And thanks for another poll, The.

Posted by: dcsween | May 26, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I believe every team should host a Super Bowl regardless of where they are geographically.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 26, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@dcween - where exactly would they play in Northern Virginia? Fail

Posted by: heycisco01 | May 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

And not that we lack sufficient conversation topics up here, but I got another one ... is it in the genetic coding of Philly sports fans to find new ways to be obnoxious? What other city's fanbase comes up with intentional projectile vomiting on other stadium attendees?

Posted by: dcsween | May 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

how about home field advantage? why doesn't the team with the best record get the SB at their stadium?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | May 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

No chance...the only reason NY is getting one is because it's got a new state of the art stadium. The Redskins stadium is neither new nor state of the art. Plus it's not even close to D.C., thus killing any attraction to the location. I mean, would YOU want to travel all the way there to party in PG County?

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

So now, the webbie scampbell is blocking my computer from the new Reid Posts, blocking me out of the conversation- F*** YOU, SCAMPBELL , YOU POMPOUS CONTROLLING SPINJOB LOSER!!

Posted by: frak | May 26, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

can someone medicate that clown....go listen to the voices in your head in the corner and shut up....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 26, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"A Super Bowl for Washington? Why? Why not?"

Easy.

It's not in DC.

Everyone knows the location is horrid, and other then being "large" the stadium itself kinda sucks.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 26, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

LH - My barber was more hard core than me - He dropped nada. never.

Me, I'll drop a spot here and there for their time we were talking. But the dating outside the club part was just like any regular booty call type dating you would do with a female, generally speaking. No $$ exchanged specifically. But now? I don't do any of that, but will still drop off a $10 spot for them talking during the time they could be making more than that. but I keep it all in the club now. And make sure I hit their heads during tax season with my fees......

But if I went to High School with you, as I have run into them multiple times in the past, you ain't getting nada from me....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 26, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

4th, you gotta school ya boy... just don't sniff that pen when you're done, homie!

Posted by: RedDMV | May 26, 2010 11:31 AM

lol...I wouldn't sniff it either. Not all of them girls are freshest of the fresh, if you get my drift.

But yo...why when I meet up with these girls during tax season, they look like some plain jane chicks. Some even busted or dirty looking. Cuz they don't have on all the make up covering their pimples and the sun is out instead of working off of the black light stuff....

And these women are far from edumacated...I sometimes loose some because they find other people doing taxes who under cut my fee....but then we they get audited, those people are no where to be found. And they come back to me the next year embarassed they tried to save a buck and got got. And now my fee suddenly went up.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 26, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theory nut but......
The NY Superbowl could be a tactical part of the owners strategy to rebound from the looming lockout believe to be coming around the corner. We have been told that after the 2011 Superbowl a battle will occur between players and owners.
If the players are locked out and the NFL looses a season or has to use replacements then the 2012 Superbowl will be meaningless. 2013 is not a sure thing. But even if the players loose the battle the NFL Brand would be returned by the 2013-2014 season. To have the Superbowl in the NYC media market is a marketing plan.
No other "cold weather stadium" will get a chance without having a dome.
Just a thought

Posted by: Hank4 | May 26, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@ Hank4 - Most around the league DON'T BELIEVE there will be a lockout. Even so, do you really believe it would last more than a year!? Too much money to lose. This isn't the 80's anymore.

Posted by: heycisco01 | May 26, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Let me start with a loouddd laugh...lol..lol...ok. look AT THOSE nice OBSTRUCTED VIEW SEAT...Snyder laughting really loud at the fools who pay for those seats.

We want to host a superbowl, and have a loyal fan base travel miles, and watch the game from at obstructed view seat? that is a shame.

that stadium should be rebuilt to a 70,000 stadium, where first there can be a home field advantage, and be able to see the full field no matter where your seating, look at LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD, is a perfect example. Then I will feel proud to host a superbowl in my hometown and hopefully with the home team playing.

Doesn't matter if the SB is literalily in MD, MD is REDSKINS NATION anyways, DC is inside MD/VA! booya!

Posted by: slvtruco21 | May 26, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see a Super Bowl in D.C., when Dan Snyder moves the Redskins out of that dump in Landover and into a real, downtown stadium built for the people.

So...in other pipe dreams, I'd just take a couple of Lombardi's over the next decade.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | May 26, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | May 26, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

If they'd revamped RFK or built a new stadium near it (as many of us fans wanted), I'd have rooted for a Super Bowl here.

I find it amusing when TV telecasts show footage from the Capitol, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial etc. and try to pretend FedEx Field is even remotely close to Washington D.C. I wonder how many out-of-towners get confused by that. :D

The "real" FedEx Field footage would be clogged parking lots, overflowing restrooms, drunken fans driving families off by screaming obscenities and throwing drinks, endless traffic on the Beltway, and Metro customers having to walk a country mile to reach a station.

Super Bowl indeed... :p

Posted by: blackjack65 | May 26, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Dear god NO!!! That will be a complete nightmare for all of us residents. If it comes here those 2-3 weeks will be time we as residents will want to forget for these reasons:

- FedEx is a TERRIBLE stadium with too many rules.
- The lack of public transportation to that location will make getting around on the roads even more impossible.
- The extra tourists riding the Metro around town will make all of our rush hour lives miserable. (As if the ones already doing that aren't bad enough)
- The security will be smothering and overwhelming further stifling movement.
- And finally, who in their right minds would want to hang in PG for this??? (I grew up there and know to avoid most of it's areas because it's basically a warzone).

Posted by: ericroks | May 26, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have a Super Bowl championship in DC than the Super Bowl. Danny, why don't you just shut up and focus on building a winning team the RIGHT way?

Posted by: stwasm | May 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I personally don't like the cold weather superbowl. but if they're gonna give it to New York then they should give 1 to Greenbay, Chicago and Washington.

Posted by: skins91r | May 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ericroks | May 26, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse
=============================================
I did too, but lived in NY for a couple of years. I must say that PG is a cakewalk compared to NY or NJ on any given day. Besides, its not like FedEx field is in Capitol Heights or Temple Hills, its Landover. I'd love to see what the Holland Tunnel is going to look like those two weeks. NY/NJ's traffic on some random Tuesday sucks, let alone for a Super Bowl.

Posted by: clark202 | May 26, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

NY super bowl has happened and you people already talking about a DC one....c'mon man! NY SB is not til 2014 half or most of you would have left this precious earth by then c'mon man! oNly in redskins nation idicotities like this are proposed...im -- be - ciles!

Posted by: Incognito00 | May 26, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

What an idiotic idea. A Super Bowl in ghetto Landover, MD at the crappiest stadium in the league?

It'd be embarrassing for other NFL fans to find out just how disadvantaged us Redskins fans really are.

Posted by: knight1977 | May 26, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

My goodness, what a mistake it is giving Northern teams a Super Bowl

Why do we want teams being forced to play through ridiculous weather for the BIGGEST game of the year?

I, and most normal people, want to see the best team win. Not how one team adapts to freezing snow

Posted by: Bious | May 26, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins ever play in DC again, then yes, the NFL should host a Superbowl at the new stadium in the district.

As long as the Skins play in Landover, with traffic worse than Nissan Pavillion, absolutely not.

Posted by: 1ofamillion | May 26, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Leaving aside the question of whether a Super Bowl should be played at FedEx Field, it's far more likely that the weather at Meadowlands Stadium in 2014 will be more comfortable for fans in the stands than ANY night World Series played after 10 PM in early November.

Edward J. Cunningham
Rockville, MD

Posted by: femfour | May 26, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Seriously? Have you been to FedEx? Is the new NY stadium going to feel like a 1990s stadium built on the, well, inexpensive side, to say the least?

Posted by: WorstSeat | May 26, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse