Clinton Portis expects to be in the backfield Sunday

Clinton Portis said Thursday that he expects to be in the backfield Sunday against the Eagles, but coaches apparently still have not talked with him about his role in the offense.

Portis also addressed the end of his 27-yard run in Sunday's loss at St. Louis, a run in which he intentionally fell down.

"If I had to have the chance to do it again, I would do the same thing with five people around me," he said. "Maybe I could've picked up four more yards. Four more yards I don't think are going to determine the outcome of that game."

Portis had just two more carries after the long first-quarter gain. Ryan Torain saw the bulk of the playing time in the second half. Mike Shanahan said an injury to Portis's wrist played a role in that decision, but Portis said Thursday that nothing had changed with the injury.

"I hurt my arm the first series of the Dallas Cowboys game," he said. "So you've seen me play the rest of the Dallas Cowboys game, you've seen me play against Houston and you've seen me start off the Rams game. So I really don't..."

Portis's voice trailed off, and he wouldn't clarify the nature of the injury or its impact on how he ran the ball.

"For these hot topics that you're bringing up, Coach Shanahan is right upstairs," he said.

Portis did say that his workload this week in practice is similar to last week. Leading up to the Rams' game, Ryan Torain was still on the practice squad and began taking reps with the first-team offense.

"You have to ask them that," Portis said about the backfield shuffle. "I don't have the answers to everything. I come to work, I clock in like you do."

"It's up to them. If they put me on an assignment, I do that assignment. If they don't, there ain't nothing I can do," he continued.

Portis says he hasn't had a conversation with Shanahan about his role in the offense.

"It wasn't nothing to talk to him about. He the head coach. He made the decision," he said. "The decision was made. It's over and done with. When we jog out on that field against the Philadelphia Eagles, I'll be in the backfield."

By Rick Maese  | September 30, 2010; 11:44 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins will assign D-back to shadow Michael Vick
Next: Trent Williams hopes sore toe will allow him to play Sunday

Comments

Portis will start with the FIRST team...he just won't end the game there...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if it is CP or the way questions are posed to him or the way these posts are written but CP really sounds insulted and upset nearly every time he says anything.

Posted by: manlius1 | September 30, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Redskins will assign D-back to shadow Michael Vick

(whisper) dont tell the Eagles, it's our secret strategy, LQ

Clinton Portis expects to be in the backfield Sunday

well I hope so, being he's our ONLY proven RB, since the brilliant new coaches managed to find ZERO RB through the off season, aside from picking up a couple off the street.

Good Job making Portis' ball security decision into a national news story, zorn-a-dumb, Moss does the same thing on I'd guess half of his catches.

Portis gets what's there!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood, the picture of the "lady" with the ginormus rear end....in your opinion it's freakishly appealing...or freakishly off-putting?

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 30, 2010 11:42 AM

Freakishly appealing. That ass is the holy grail...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Why is it we talk all week about Portis sliding at the end of a long run and act is if Santana's fumble at the end of a long catch wasn't an absolute killer?

Looking back, I wish Santana hook slid too.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 30, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

As long as were giving our RBs a proper workload I dont care who trots out in the first or fourth quarter. If were not gonna let them run the ball however then it will become an increasingly bigger problem.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 30, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

CP. Whateves. He's on the otherside of his mountain top rolling down; the future (for now) is Ryan Torain.

All this talk about Vick. Has anyone been thinking about how we plan to stop LeSean McCoy?

Posted by: p1funk | September 30, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Looking back, I wish Santana hook slid too.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 30, 2010 11:59 AM

I think Moss is good for about one of those per year...no idea why he was moving the ball around so much while getting hit...but he really gives it his all every time out there. Santana is probably my favorite redskin since joining the team. So many big plays for us...no nonsense...just goes out and does it.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 30, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

sssshhhh....don't tell the eagles:
when portis went down like that, he was setting things up. he's thinkin' two moves ahead - like a good running back should. now, by saying he'd fall down all over again, he's stringing us out. against the eagles, there will be a run where he FAKES going down on purpose...the defenders let up just a bit, then he takes it to the house. clever like a fox.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 30, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The old Clinton Portis would have scored a TD on that play. Good backs score TDs on that kind of run. If that was CJ2k that would have been a TD. AP28 would have scored a TD on that play. I hope CP's wrist gets better, becuase he has looked a bit quicker than last year.

Posted by: roccoskins | September 30, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

too bad we can't loan Jahvid Best for a week.

hope CP and Torain combine for 25-30 touches.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

After reading the following article, I am thinking it is the spin the Wapo folks are putting on CP's comments that make him sound disgruntled. There is no hint of that by CP here. He sounds like a team guy.

Posted by: manlius1 | September 30, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure you've convinced him you are funny now.

And if you haven't, I'm sure you will eventually. Keep at it.

monk = stand-up comedian who takes time to explain punchline to every person who doesn't appreciate his joke = NERD

Posted by: PortisPocketPoolStr8 | September 30, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

How is discussing this stupid topic with one person, ONE PERSON, 'taking time to explain punchline to every person'? And I'm not trying to come off funny, just saying a funny word. I realize I bomb on some of my jokes, just like the one you just did above, way to grind the blog to a hult. Oh, and by the way, I fixed your screen name above. Now that's funny!!! LMAO

@Stu, I don't want to get into this again today, so just drop it. I didn't know defending my opinion meant tripping over my own words. You were basically putting words in my own mouth anyway.

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Looking back, I wish Santana hook slid too.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 30, 2010 11:59 AM
-------------------------------------------
There is no way I would ever tell a player not to try for extra yardage. The issue is holding onto the football while doing that and these players are coached on how to hold the ball. The Redskins have been fortunate with fumbles. Cooley coughs one up just about every game. He has been fortunate that one was ruled a non-fumble (although it sure as heck looked like a fumble on the replay) and one rolled out of bounds. Keiland Williams lost one and had it bounce right back into his hands. None of this, however, means you take a dive. You have to play to win; you can't play not to lose.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I used to see Issac Bruce and Tory Holt do this alot with the Rams. But they're WR's, not RB's..It just made Portis look like he was scared, sorry.

Posted by: ga8085 | September 30, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead, I agree, I wish he got the 4 yards. But if I had to choose between the two, Santana hurt us more last week than Portis. I like them both, but for all the questions CP is getting about something that didn't cost us the game, has anyone even asked Santana about the fumble?? It was terrible.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 30, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Looking back, I wish Santana hook slid too.

Posted by: AdamCr

thank you, exactly. because Moss scored 2 tds in dallas 7 years ago the guy is NEVER criticised meanwhile Portis and Haynes worth Rogers are evil devil people. Campbell, forget about it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

How come people are over thinking this 'dive' of Portis'? He was surrounded by blue jerseys and wanted to protect the ball. I don't think he was afraid to get hit, he got all he could on that particular play and instead of fighting and not knowing when to go down (like a lot of players do) he took what he could and went down. Screw ESPN or anyone else that is reading this being a mutany!

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Okay i cared less until you brought me up this morning, your obsessed just cause you got burned its not the end of the world.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 30, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 30, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

The exact sam way you game planned for Westbrook they are very similar, fast shifty runners that are harder to take down then their size would dictate.

Im more worried about how we stop Djax, or if we are even able to.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 30, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Okay i cared less"

Posted by: Stu27 | September 30, 2010 12:15 PM

Oh brother...hope NPI doesn't see this!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 30, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

so, how would you handle when Moss intentionally goes down to avoid hits? because that happens all the time.

how about Gary Clark?

I think the elite athlete should be trusted to know their own limitations.

how about when a safety "misses" a one on one with Steven Jackson, cause that's happened 2 years in a row, Horton and Moore

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Let's just beat the living daylights out of Philadelphia, get first place, all be happy for one more week and then resume Superbowl talks.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 30, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Random "Wonder Why's"...

1) Why does Andy Reid and the Eagles get so much benefit of the doubt...they have NEVER won a Super Bowl?

2) Why are we afraid to say Portis is done?

3) Why does it take so much time between pitches in baseball?

4) Why are Redskins' fans so impatient after they said they would be if we got a decent Front Office?

5) Why can't Devin Thomas get on the field?

6) Why do they curse so much on 106.7 "the Fan"?

Just wondering....

Posted by: rickyroge | September 30, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

People Reading Too Much Into Portis Dive = NERD

People Overreacting to Dumb Joke = Pathetic

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I see it's "Bash Clinton Portis Hour" on RI.....

Far from me to put a damper on the hating.....So I'll just leave this one alone....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Big toe beeps

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't making a joke.

Thanks for explaining why you keep using Nerd. Your living right up to my earlier comparison.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

3) Why does it take so much time between pitches in baseball?

....

Posted by: rickyroge
--------------

good questions all. this one jumped out at me and i almost hate to react to it during football season, much less philly week, but..... i stopped watching baseball because of all the time between pitches. i've proposed that one rule that would make baseball sooooo much better and probably more popular is a 10-15 second pitch clock. that's really all you need. i'd say 10 seconds, and you get to call a certain number of "time outs" per inning or something like that.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 30, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

If Banks is back on the 53 man roster as of monday, who is now on the street ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"I hurt my arm the first series of the Dallas Cowboys game...."

Everyone all together now:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Poor baby.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Campbell, forget about it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2010 12:13 PM |

you said it, now do it

Posted by: hessone | September 30, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 30, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Im more worried about how we stop Djax, or if we are even able to.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 30, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I hope we don't gameplan for McCoy the exact same way we gameplanned for B.West b/c if that's the case, then I'm marking McCoy down for about 170 all purpose yards and 3 TDs.

I don;t know who had a history of torching this team more frequently. Brian westbrook or Amani Toomer.

Posted by: p1funk | September 30, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I just don't get it.

CP wants us to think he's tough, while openly acknowledging he hit the turf on purpose to avoid getting hit.

?

It's not that I'm afraid to fight; I just want to avoid getting beat up at all costs.

Posted by: p1funk | September 30, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@monk811

try utube for some John Riggins and stop with your dive ass crap. CP is a running back who should get every yard possible. freakin dive ass.

Posted by: hessone | September 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Random "Wonder Why's"...

2) Why are we afraid to say Portis is done?

3) Why does it take so much time between pitches in baseball?

5) Why can't Devin Thomas get on the field?

6) Why do they curse so much on 106.7 "the Fan"?

Just wondering....

Posted by: rickyroge | September 30, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Portis IS DONE ! He is a scared as hell. He has been QB-sliding for years....does it at just about the end of every run he has. Wake up !

Posted by: po403 | September 30, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Mark Ingram in 2011

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

There's not another running/tight end/receiver in the NFL that would slide with 5 guys around him. IT'S FOOTBALL MAN!!! How many times have you seen a defender knock a teammate off the runner. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!! You wanna slide....play baseball!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | September 30, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

They need to get rid of all of the receivers including Santana Moss. He is mediocre.

Posted by: dawne10 | September 30, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

If you have a bum wrist, why would you be carrying the ball in that arm? I can buy that you might hit the turf with five guys in front of you, but nobody was in front of him -- he had room to run.

"No need to get an extra four yards?" -- Jim Brown probably puked when he read that.

Enjoy your post Football career Clinton.

Posted by: ddgibson | September 30, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

It's laughable that anyone should think this "slip" was any different or more agregious than the dozens and dozens of other "slips" that CP26 has shown us over the past few seasons. Sore wrist or not, the Dude has become well known for taking two steps to the left or right, and then falling down -- without so much as a whisper of contact. And even if he somehow breaks through into the defensive secondary, he is routinely being caught and clobbered by anyone on the same slide of the 50 yard line. Truth is, the Dude is long past his sell by date, and playing on borrowed time. If Dumb Danny's sick-ophant Vinny Cee hadn't front loaded CP26's contract with so much guaranteed money, the Dude would have been gone a long, long time ago. But here he stays, plays and occasionally even starts -- to the continuing detriment of the team.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 30, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

portis is finished. start torrain.

Posted by: slim4 | September 30, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I dont understand why people dont realize that the only reason portis is still here is they have to pay him 6 mill. Who would you rather have Portis or champ bailey. Terrible Terrible trade. So long portis enjoy you last year of a skins pay day! Portis is done!

Posted by: VGOGHEDGE | September 30, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Torain is not elusive at all, it takes him forever to make a cut, he almost comes to a complete stop before he changes direction, giving defenders time to close in. He runs akward, not athletic at all.

He is another Betts, only worse, he needs perfect blocking because he doesn't have the vision to see other lanes. This team needs a Chirs Johnson, CJ Spiller, Javhid Best type back, and you only get them in the draft. Whatever we have now, are only band-aids, there are no athletic fast home run type backs on this team, that of course includes Portis, who quicker than last year, is unfortunately in decline.

Can we stop all this BS and put DT on the field? Design specific plays and routes for him since he is supposedly so dumb. Is he that dumb that he doesn't know how to run a go, which is a straight line? A simple slant? The guy knew enough about route running and catching to make it to this level. I don't understant this crap with ShanaMan, this team needs all the youth, speed, and athleticism it can get on the field.

Who in the hell are we going to beat with Grandpa Galloway, and something called Roydell Williams?

When is the last time this team had a dynamic game changer who could take it to the house from anywhere on the field? On offense or special teams? Somebody who was exciting and fun to watch? Who? When?

It has been so long I can't even remember.

What is the purpose of BBanks making the final 53, being released, being resigned if he's not going to be used? This will be the fourth game of the year and he hasn't seen any action at all. Let him return a punt for crying out loud. Bucchanon hasn't done anything, hell he's worse than ARE.
At least ARE would attempt to run some back, although he just danced from side to side. I haven't seen Bucchanon attempt to run 1 back, he just fair catches or lets it hit the ground. A joke!!

We fans want something and somebody who can help us win AND ENTERTAIN US and make it FUN to watch.

As Maximus asked the crowd in "Gladiator"; "are you not entertained"? We Redskins fans yell a resounding HELL NO!! And we're sick of it, I know I am.

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 30, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Why is it ok for QB's to slide or dive, but not running backs? Play smart and play long....being healthy is vital to longevity and being productive. Emmit Smith did it on many occasions. One of the smart things Portis has ever done.

Posted by: scottpapex | September 30, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottpapex | September 30, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

RI, you suck. Two stories you've tossed out headlines for this week have NO follow-up: did the Skins sign any of the WRs they auditioned, and who's going to handle punting and FG holding? (BTW, I'd like to hear tomorrow whether Trent Williams will play.)

Your reporting is just incredibly lazy - all I see is the same old crap from the usual suspects. Why not actually go out and dig for info instead of just printing what these guys hand you? I'm sick of hearing constant blather about (and by) CP, AH, and DHall. I'm declaring a personal moratorium on reading any more about these guys.

Posted by: pyrotech | September 30, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse