Clinton Portis: 'I'll be back'

Redskins running back Clinton Portis expects to return the team this season despite a severe injury that is expected to sideline him for at least a month, he said Tuesday on a radio show.

During his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan's The Mike Wise Show with Holden Kushner, Portis said his groin injury is "getting better daily. Just trying to get back on track."

After learning he had suffered the third major injury of his career, Portis, 29, never thought his career was over. "Nah, man I don't think like that. I know with the treatment and the focus and desire to get back on the field, I'll be back. I don't worry about, 'Oh, its over.' "

Portis, however, declined to offer a timeline for his return. The Redskins said he would be sidelined at least four to six weeks. "I don't know," he said. "I never thought nine days later, I'd still be sore."

The nine-year veteran missed the Week 5 victory over the Green Bay Packers because of a third-degree separation of his left groin. Although Coach Mike Shanahan said that Portis, who suffered the injury during the Week 4 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles, would not require season-ending surgery, sometimes surgery is necessary to reattach the muscle to the bone.

Including base salary and bonuses, Portis will be paid $7.7 million this season. Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, the 2010 season is uncapped, but Portis would have had a cap number of almost $10.7 million. Although Portis is under contract in 2011 with a base salary of almost $8.3 million, the money is not guaranteed.

Hall of Famer John Riggins is the Redskins' all-time leading rusher with 7,472 yards. Portis is second on the list with 6,792 yards in his Redskins career.

By Jason Reid  | October 12, 2010; 10:46 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lorenzo Alexander continues to make plays
Next: Clinton Portis hopes to break team rushing record

Comments

Hope it's sooner than later.

Posted by: fat_back | October 12, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"NO don't fire Wade Phillips."

I'd say Jason Garrett should be fired.

The cowboys should be a run first team.

But they run, then pass, then run, the run, then pass, then pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass...

Too, how do you draft Dez Bryant when you have a sorry offensive line?

Vinny Cerrato must be on their payroll.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 12, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Take your time CP. The last thing you want is to have a setback. This team has the resolve to win games without you, make sure you're fully healthy, then you can really give this team a boost down the stretch.

Posted by: psps23 | October 12, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"NO don't fire Wade Phillips."

I'd say Jason Garrett should be fired.

The cowboys should be a run first team.

Too, how do you draft Dez Bryant when you have a sorry offensive line?

Vinny Cerrato must be on their payroll.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 12, 2010 11:03 AM
------------------------------------------
I say as long as they are losing they should just keep everyone on the payroll - and Jerry Jones should just keep on making those personnel decisions because he knows so much about football... And, oh yeah, I've got some farmland in the Mojave that I would like to sell as well...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 12, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe-

Don't fire any of them, ever. Keep this team intact until the end of time. Seal it in amber, if necessary. Their record of mediocrity must be preserved for years, if not decades to come.

Fun though for today- Yes,it is unlikely. But how much fun would it be for the Redskins to be the NFC representatives to the championship soiree being held in Jerruh's home.

How sweet would THAT be!

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I was sad when UVA fired Al Groh. I will be equally sad when the girls fire Wade... unless of course they hire Zorn to replace him.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis: 'I'll be back'

I know there's a Terminator joke in there somewhere....

Posted by: Alan4 | October 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

mistamayor

"Portis was placed on season-ending injured reserve in 2006 because of a hand injury, missing the final seven games. He suffered a concussion in Week 9 last season and again was placed on injured reserve.."

That's a lot of missed time for a team's star player.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 12, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"I'll be back"?

Not with that expected salary.

Hasta la vista baby.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 12, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

It's gonna be Bill Cowher next for the Cowboys, right? I'm not looking forward to that, any more than our NFC East brethren looked forward to Shanahan's coming to the Skins to restore them to legitimacy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

This is no minor tear. Those adductors are strung as tight as guitar strings and once they get a little scar tissue the tears become a chronic problem. I don't see how he could possibly heal properly without surgery. For someone who makes their living with their legs this injury could be catastrophic. I'm sure he'll be back for about two series before he's limping off the field.

Posted by: yampaco | October 12, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis: 'I'll be back'
I know there's a Terminator joke in there somewhere... Posted by: Alan4 | October 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

There is a Black Knight joke, too.
"Your groin's off!"
"It's only a flesh wound!"

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"But how much fun would it be for the Redskins to be the NFC representatives to the championship soiree being held in Jerruh's home."

Somebody has to 'bust' the cowboy's cherry.

Why not us?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 12, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Certainly Terminator jokes.

And Black Knight jokes.

"Your gro1n's off!"

"No it isn't, it's only a flesh wound"

(See if this one gets through...)

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The unique double modified post...

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Or we could see Lane Kiffen? I mean come on, that guys done...hes...well...I mean...

Sounds like a great fit to me. A guy who's done nothing but gets the job.

That would buy out at least two more years of Cowboy mediocrity.

Posted by: Devo2 | October 12, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

yampaco, I was thinking the same thing. Portis has been getting a little fragile over the last few years, and this is a very serious injury that affects his wheels... not like the hand or concussion the past couple of years.

Those (hand, concussion) injuries put him on IR ending 2 seasons, and other RBs have come back from those types of injuries within a couple of weeks (not questioning his toughness-it is what it is). This injury actually seems like more or a no-brainer IR injury for a RB than the other two.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 12, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

It's gonna be Bill Cowher next for the Cowboys, right?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 11:26 AM

I don't think this will happen. Cowher will take the job at Carolina. I can't see him getting into that mess in Dallas. Doubt that he wants to be in the same town as Jerry Jones, much less in the same room.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 12, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"IT'S JUST BEEN REVOKED!!"

"Peter, that doesn't really apply here."

"I'LL HAVE WHAT SHE'S HAVING!!"

"That's... better?"

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 12, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"I will be equally sad when the girls fire Wade... unless of course they hire Zorn to replace him."

Best fit for the cowboys?:

Mike Martz

An alleged offensive genius taking control of a supposedly great offense.

And seeing how Mike Singletary will be soon be fired, you'd have to imagine he'll come in to take over the defense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 12, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

It's gonna be Bill Cowher next for the Cowboys, right?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 11:26 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | October 12, 2010 11:46 AM

Cowher is waiting for Coughlin to get the axe in New york.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 12, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

As a kid, I remember Bum Phillips patrolling the sidelines for the Houston Oilers, and later the Saints. Old Bum had a lot more personality than his kid does.

This quote from Bum might help out his son, Wade: "There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."

Posted by: Alan4 | October 12, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Portis: "I never thought nine days later, I'd still be sore."

Dude, your groin tore from the bone. I'm still sore just from watching.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 12, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 12, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree. I don't think any strong coach will want to be involved down there. Not until Jerry gives up GM duties. And that is not going to happen. See Oakland as an example.

I think that's why Dan Snyder was able to get M Shanahan. Once he fired Vinny and looked to get a true GM the writing was on the wall and candidates began to look at us and this organization as one with real stewardship and direction. Dallas isn't going to have that.

And for that, we say Thank you Mr. Jones!

Posted by: Devo2 | October 12, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis: 'I'll be back in Denver next year as a backup'

There CP, fixed it for ya...

Nate, like I said on the other thread, no chance Cowher goes to Dallas...he wants to hire his own FO people in his next stop and get more say in personnel. Plus, he took 14 years to get a SB in Pittsburgh...no owner with a last name other than Rooney gives him that kinda time. Carolina makes the most sense since they'll probably clean house in the offseason and the Ginas will be in the mix if they finally hit the eject button on Coughlin.

Dallas will get Norv as their next head coach. You heard it here first...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 12, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"Clinton Portis: 'I'll be back but with another team'"

Fixed it again for you Jason.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 12, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

i'm sceered 'bout this weekend. peyton manning is imho (and many others') the best qb in the league. seems to be operating on a whole different level of awareness than everybody else out there.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 12, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 11:26 AM

I'm not so impressed with the NFC East right now. Every team seems like they're falling apart. Age and mileage and such as. So far, this season sucks for gambling b/c teams are starting to be so evenly matched. Some teams that were expected to be good just aren't (Vikings, Dallas, New Orleans, Cincy, Indy) and some teams that were supposed to suck don't (KC, Chicago, St. Louis). Seems like too many teams are clustered in the middle ... minus Buffalo and Carolina ... who are each involved in an different kind of cluster.

Posted by: dcsween | October 12, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Nah,Cowher will not go to the Cowgirls, he and Jerry would clash that's why he's not here in DC because the Danny couldn't convince him that he would be hands off, on another front, Brandon Banks "camera gate" makes me not want to root for the guy taking a picture of a teamate sleeping in a team meeting is one thing putting it on twitter then leaking it to the coaching staff is another, imho he's a little punk.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 12, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"seems to be operating on a whole different level of awareness than everybody else out there."

Thier defense is horrid, I expect McNabb to match him. Our OT's have got to be ready though they have great DE's, but as the crew on ESPN said they leave "holes" in thier defense because of the way that they play. Torain should have a good night.

I think it's going to be another game down to the wire. :(

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 12, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Good call, Moe...Martz and Dallas were made for each other. Both are textbook examples of "style over substance" and both are ridiculously overrated. Can't think of a better fit.

Hope you're wrong on Singletary though...I'm a big fan of his and hope he doesn't go that wasteland in Texas...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 12, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

maybe Chuckie will take it. I cant stand him on MNF so I can just continue hating him on the dal sideline. He is another self proclaimed offensive guru that never actually coached a decent offense.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 12, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

beepbeep ... portis still hopes to be able to walk in his 40s.

Posted by: dcsween | October 12, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 12, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

He is. But the Colts have proven this year that they're not the immortal of years past. In fact they like the rest of the league have holes that can be exploited.

Coming off two big wins and the confidence that those give, makes the Skins a formidable opponent. They believe they can win, and they believe in themselves, the schemes, and the coaches. Those with another strong showing from the Fed Ex crowd will make for another opportunity to come out with a big win.

We're going to be the underdog in the eyes of the experts and I also bet that adds to the players motivation.

I like our chances in this one.

Look for a stronger and more commited running game, and a more accurate McNabb. After his rocky performance this week I bet he comes out throwing lasers.

Skins 28 colts 17

Posted by: Devo2 | October 12, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"He (Gruden) is another self proclaimed offensive guru that never actually coached a decent offense."

He won with Tony Dingy's team.

I can't see Gruden leaving television, though.

I also wonder if Jim Mora, jr. would fit into Cowboyland.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 12, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | October 12, 2010 12:04 PM

Agree on the former, but not on the latter...dude coached Rich f-ing Gannon to an MVP season and Brad Johnson to a SB. Both teams had good defenses, but not good enough to win a SB on their own. Chucky gets props from me for doing more with both of those squads than many others could have.

Chucky's problem is longevity...kinda like a more abrasive Dick Vermeil, in that he pours so much raw emotion into coaching that he either burns out quick or loses his team after awhile. So if he goes to Dallas, no worries here...they'll look good for 2-3 years and then suck like his last couple teams in Tampa.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 12, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Whether Portis comes back or not, it's hard to imagine the Skins not drafting at least one RB in 2011. So here's how Shanahan drafted during his tenure at Denver (round drafted follows player name):

’08 Ryan Torain 5th, Peyton Hillis 7th
’07 no RBs
’06 no RBs
’05 no RBs
’04 Tatum Bell 2nd, Brandon Miree 7th
’03 Quentin Griffin 4th, Ahmad Galloway 7th
’02 Clinton Portis 2nd
’01 no RBs
’00 Mike Anderson 6th
’99 Olandis Gary 4th
’98 Chris Howard 5th
’97 no RBs
’96 Detron Smith 3rd
’95 Terrell Davis 6th

Which leaves the question -- since he wasn't picking RBs high, what positions did he like to draft as his top choice? Here they are:

3 offensive tackles

3 linebackers (2 OLB)
1 defensive end
1 defensive tackle
and Jay Cutler.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 12, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

IDK Brownwood,

"However, the Buccaneers' defense was still the strength of the team, leading the NFL in total defense (252.8 yards per game), pass defense (155.6 yards per game), points allowed (12.3 points per game), passing touchdowns allowed (10), interceptions (31), and opponent passer rating (48.4). Brooks, Lynch, Sapp and defensive end Simeon Rice all had Pro Bowl years. Brooks led the team with 87 tackles and excelled at pass coverage, recording 5 interceptions, 218 return yards, and 2 touchdowns, plus 1 fumble return and 1 on a lateral from Sapp after a Sapp interception for a total of 4 touchdowns (an NFL record for a linebacker). Rice led the team with 15.5 sacks. Sapp recorded 7.5 sacks and 2 interceptions. Cornerback Brian Kelly was also a big asset, leading the team with 8 interceptions."

Ill always think that Tony Dungy and the Tampa D that he had won him his SB. I look at him like a Brian Billick constantly talking about how great their offense is while getting paid and being famous for a defense.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 12, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse