Clinton Portis: No problem with Redskins' running game

Washington ranks last in the NFL with 107 net rushing yards and a 53.5-yard average. The team is tied for 27th in average per rush at 2.7.

But to hear top back Clinton Portis tell it, there's nothing wrong with the Redskins' running game.

"I wouldn't say the running game is struggling. I just don't think we attempted to use it much" through the first two games, Portis said. "We used the running game sparingly. It's hard to get started."

During the season-opening victory over Dallas, Washington gained 89 yards on 23 rushes. Portis had 18 carries for 63 yards. The statistics weren't great, but the Redskins at least had some production from that part of their offense.

In Week 2 against the Houston Texans, however, the Redskins were limited to 18 yards on 17 rushes -- a 1.1-yard average. Portis led the way with 33 yards on 13 carries.

"I think it's just got to get started, man," Portis said. "I don't think we really put forth the effort to get the running game involved. You look at the two games we've played, we've used it sparingly. Our passing game was on point against Houston. We stuck with it."

With the offensive line already in a state of flux, the team is preparing for the possibility of being without left tackle Trent Williams this week against the St. Louis Rams at St. Louis. The impressive rookie suffered knee and toe injuries in the loss to Houston, "and not having Trent just hurt the team period," Portis said. "When we drafted Trent, we expected him to come in here and do great things.

"In these six games [four in the preseason] that you had an opportunity to see the glances at Trent, you see it's something special with him. Hopefully, he can get on the field. If not, I think Stephon [Heyer] capable of picking up the slack. He gonna have to pick up the slack. The guys around him just got to elevate their play. All of us got to elevate our play to carryover 'til we get Trent back."

The Redskins on Tuesday released two-time Pro Bowl running back Larry Johnson and elevated undrafted rookie Keiland Williams to the No. 2 position. The timing of Johnson's release surprised many players, Portis among them.

"It was shocking to me, but this a business," Portis said. "You'll be surprised just because of seeing the work that L.J. put in in the offseason, and the dedication that they had to him. All of a sudden? Like I said - it's a business. Not much surprise me when it come to that."

Williams has made a favorable early impression, Portis said.

"I think he picking it [the offense] up," he said. "Being able to go in and pass protect and pick up his reads. ... When you can come in and pass protect, you give yourself opportunities."

The Redskins opened training camp with three Pro Bowl backs on the roster: Portis, Johnson and Willie Parker. In addition to Williams, young back Ryan Torain is on the practice squad, and Portis believes the team has quality depth at the position.

"I'm comfortable. I'm comfortable with myself," he said. "For everybody else, I think those guys are great guys. I think Keiland and Ryan are great guys. At the same time, it's different. When you had L.J. and Willie, those are proven guys.

"Now, having Leyland and Ryan ... it's just opportunity. I think everybody can play football. It's just a matter of picking up the blitz, knowing your assignment and getting it done."

By Jason Reid  | September 23, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis, Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb, Rams' Spagnuolo familiar with each other
Next: Statistical analysis: Redskins' draft picks vs. free agents

Comments

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 23, 2010 12:22 PM

There's some other names out there that are just waiting to be used:

Sudan Deaths
Greece Lightning
Guinea Pigs

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 23, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Arkadelphia Pennsykansans

Posted by: zimbar | September 23, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

This "Leyland" you speak of....

Tell me more.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 23, 2010 12:54 PM |

Since we don't have enough of them, another Native American themed name: Toronto Tontos.

Posted by: ChinaLake | September 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Running game..no prob. Looks great. Cost us the game Sunday. It's pathetic.
CP has his own universe parallel to reality.

Posted by: ridgely1 | September 23, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

This "Leyland" you speak of....

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 23, 2010 1:03 PM

I'm hoping that's Jreid's blunder and not CP...or we may be in trouble.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 23, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Why would CP have a problem. Didn't we all know the NFL is a 'Points Per' league?

CP had 15.3 points last week.

33 yards and 2 TD's keep 'yo pockets straight 'ma man.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 23, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Delusional Clinton. Put him in only for max protection.

Posted by: tomass169 | September 23, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Back in the day, the Post used to correct Portis' grammar, now they don't even bother. What's up with that?

Posted by: gwelsh | September 23, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis says...
"We used the running game sparingly. It's hard to get started."
I say thats all we do is hand off the ball to Portis. Portis should have left with Jason Campbell. He is over! Sux! Terrible running back now. He couldn't run his way out of a wet paper bag. Now since Johnson is gone, we have to watch hand offs to him over and over to gain 1 yard or even minus yards every game.

Posted by: foodcritic101 | September 23, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Running game..no prob. Looks great. Cost us the game Sunday. It's pathetic.
CP has his own universe parallel to reality.

Posted by: ridgely1

Dude can't win.

If he complains about the suck ass line blocking, he threw his teammates under the bus.

If he complains about the lack of calls for running plays, he's undermining the coaching staff.

If he says, everything is fine with the running game, then he's delusional.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis says...
"We used the running game sparingly. It's hard to get started."

Posted by: foodcritic101 | September 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

He probably doesn't have the heart to tell him.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 23, 2010 12:59 PM

Nice pull there Kaneohe!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis says...
"We used the running game sparingly. It's hard to get started."

Posted by: foodcritic101 | September 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

There is a lesson here: Young Bucks... it isnt jsut about being faster or stronger. Its about knowing ALL your assingments and working out the bugs of your game that is flawed.

Williams, apparently, has elevated his mental game to the point that LJ was no longer required. Especailly since he himself chose to a) run out of bounds ot kill the clock and b) run a negative 10 yard loop de loop at the worst possible time.

Are you paying attention to all of this DT11? Somebody get that box of mental pet rocks a tutor so he can get on the damn field. Throw my fingers up? How about you learn the damn play book, moron.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 23, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 23, 2010 12:54 PM

very, very, very, very, very, very, very funny

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 23, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

No excuses for a lack of a run game this week..

Rams are 30th ranked rushing D - 4.7 carry (league worst 3 runs per carry over 20 yards)

SS Craig Dahl suffered a concussion last week

Starting DT Darrell Scott suffered a high ankle sprain and is out

Staring DT Clifton Ryan, who missed last week's game with migraines, still uncertain.

LB Chris Chamberlain is in a walking boot

"THROW UR ONE'S UP! #11" DT scores a TD in the red zone.

Portis goes off for 80 YDs and 1 TD

Never easy but the D prevents a late comeback by the Rams as Orakpo forces a fumble of Bradford and Carriker falls on it.

Skins 27
Rams 21

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 23, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The running game did a horrible job covering A Johnson in the end zone, and on the FG team, and I'm sure when New Soup missed the wide open dinosaur it was the running game that got in his way

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 23, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

This "Leyland" you speak of....

Tell me more.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't he a manage in baseball?

Posted by: monk811 | September 23, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

If Trent DNP that'd be an excuse for nothing working

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 23, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

This "Leyland" you speak of....

Tell me more.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't he a manage in baseball?

Posted by: monk811 | September 23, 2010 1:23 PM

That Shanny...always has a trick up his sleeve...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 23, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

This "Leyland" you speak of....

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 23, 2010 1:03 PM

I'm hoping that's Jreid's blunder and not CP...or we may be in trouble.

Posted by: PlayAction

C'mon, everyone knows who Leyland is. He's the immortal RB, descendant of Connor McCloud and other has-been actors

Posted by: pgugino | September 23, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Move Cowboys to Philippines = Manila Folders

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 23, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Admission:

I've seen "Boardwalk Empire" three times.

I can't stop.

I see Steve Buscemi and forget all about the other New Jersey boss I liked named Tony Soprano, the Dolphins' football head coach.

I didn't know this blog was interesting until the town went dry.

Al Capone stole my liquor while I was glued to the tv.

I trust Rothstien to steal my money, though.

My head isn't on right after the things I did in the war.

I spend all my time in a foxhole plannig murder.

That's why I beat my pregnant wife as happy dixieland music plays in the background.

But for now, Caruso records now make me fear Italians with guns.

Demon liquor is why I post so much.

Somebody, please help me.

I mean the only thing other than "Boardwalk Empire" that I've watched too much is the NFL replay of the Texans v. Redskins game.

And that, my friends, is the one game that really drives me to drink.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 23, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Dude can't win.

If he says, everything is fine with the running game, then he's delusional.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Its why he needs to follow his own advice and just not talk to the public

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes rypien11 is funny

my fave was
Ghana Ria

catch them on fox

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 23, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

When Clinton fell when he appeared to have a touchdown, it reminded me of what Dexter said about him last year.

Dexter, when being interviewed on the FAN, was excited about the young running back no longer with us that got good yards against Atlanta, I believe.

When asked about our prospects for beating Dallas last year, he said, "Man, I am really excited, as long as we stay away from giving the ball to a certain running back that has a penchant for falling in the hole we should do fine."

A great description of the Clinton Portis we have come to know.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 23, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

I agree, BE looks to be a GREAT show. the Capone thing was a bit forced to me but thats about it.

Also, I will be happy if we never have to see Buscemi in a Sex scene again, though I know we will.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I get it, he's getting Leyland mixed up with Hamm Samvitch, that Swedish dude we just signed, I can see why, the names are really close.......

Posted by: monk811 | September 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

If he says, everything is fine with the running game, then he's delusional.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

-------

Hah, the eternal CP defender.

Aren't you missing one glaring scapegoat?

It's like if a QB came out and said my line can't block, my receivers can't catch, and my coaches won't call pass plays for me, that's why my passing game sucks. It actually has nothing to do with me.

Not saying that CP is playing poorly (he's not this season), but it's laughable to say "CP can't win" when all he did was blame everybody but himself.

Posted by: psps23 | September 23, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I listened to the entire Portis interview and he was NOT complaining about lack of carries or giving excuses for the running game.

Shockingly, this Q&A didn't make the above post. Someone asked Portis if needs to have a 25 carry, 100 yard game to feel good about the running game and Portis responded something along the lines of "it don't matter how many carries I have as long as we find a way to win." and "whatever they call whether a pass or run, I'll give max effort."

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 23, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Dude can't win.

If he says, everything is fine with the running game, then he's delusional.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse
CP has more haters than anyone I've ever seen.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 23, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

follow-up on my CP post:

CP may want to take a note from DHall in the future, should the need arise. At least when DHall played like crap last year, he called himself out and made himself accountable.

Posted by: psps23 | September 23, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Moe...think of all the things you could have done with those 3 hours and 36 minutes of that boardwalk show...and how many endless hours reliving last sundays collapse of our beloved team...think about all of the people you could have helped...you could have changed the world in some small way...I love the Redskins...I love Home Box Office...but dammit man...get a grip of yourself! OK? I need an f'ing drink...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 23, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Portis ran all the way downfield and threw a beautiful block for Davis. He does give maximum effort everytime he's out there. Yes I am also an eternal CP defender/eternal JC hater.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 23, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

MAYBE if Portis can stop running into the back of his OL, then our running game would work. Or better yet MAYBE if Portis stop going down off of 1 hit and run through tackles, then our running game would work. Just saying PORTIS!

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 23, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gwelsh | September 23, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Yep gwelsh.. I remember when they corrected his grammer and was just thinking the same thing you posted!

Posted by: ocskins | September 23, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

iH8, I love the way CP has played this year. It's a stark contrast to last year. Last year, CP was a train wreck on the field.

Posted by: psps23 | September 23, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

By the way, watching Boardwalk Empire got me thinking of some of the old stories my Grandfather used to tell me about Legs Diamond, who was associated with Rothstein.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm pumped to see us kick the Rams right in the testicles.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 23, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

What I really love about Portis is that he doesn't block in pass protection...he HITS

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 23, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Use Portis at left tackle,
otherwise I've had enough of Sheriff GonnaGitchaThirdandLong

Posted by: minorthread | September 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@Poopy_McPoopiity troll dude,

Which team has more hope for the future? The answer is obvious and it's the team that plays in Maryland."

No, Poopy its actually the other team that played in Canada: the Blue Jays which is why Sartori and who knows? Perhaps Kasten will end up there? They have guys like Tony LaCava. They are playing above .500 ball after trading Halladay and going into rebuilding stage drawing from their farm system.

Do you think the el-cheapo angel Os can compete with the well oiled machine that is the Blue Jays? In the same division as the Yankees and the far better run TB Devil Rays? Not in a million years dude. You need a bucket of water poured over your excrement so that you can wake up and smell your own massive.

Posted by: periculum | September 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

There's some other names out there that are just waiting to be used:

Oklahoma Sexuals
....

MistaMoe PaintedToes

Posted by: periculum | September 23, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

There will be more speed at the 2 & 3 RB spot with both Williams and Simpson running a 4.4 40 yard dash

Posted by: kingpenn1 | September 23, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

psps, I was talking about this season. And why don't you actually read through the comments, dickface? Every time there is a CP thread people line up to take their shots -- THIS SEASON.

psps, go and get your pink razor -- you know, the one you use to shave Shanahan's taint and asscheeks with. But not the one you shave Lavar's nutsack with. That's just nasty. Mkay fu_kface?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

No problems with the run game? Yeah, right. Clinton must be living in some alternate Bizarro universe, on some lonely asteroid floating aimlessly between the planets Denial and Delusion.

But what I’m really interested in is hearing more about Clinton’s impressions of “shorties in the hood,” and more specifically, the decision by Sesame Street producers to kick Katie Perry out of the neighborhood.

See

Am curious to know, does Clinton believe she “waz axin fo it” because she showed up on set dressed as a female, or does he think that everyone’s favorite fuzzball (Elmo) lost it when he caught Katie “cutting an eye” on his package?

Posted by: Vic1 | September 23, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Red, how bout you read your own comment, c_nt muscle. You talked about Portis bashing his o-line and coach, which happened in 2008-2009.

Try not to let Portis' d_ck poke you in the eye as you make your way down to shove your tongue in his *sshole for the 10 thousandth time.

Posted by: psps23 | September 23, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Does CP have another Concussion?

Posted by: md_butler | September 23, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Dude can't win.

If he says, everything is fine with the running game, then he's delusional.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

AMEN AMEN AMEN

CP, I hope you never change buddy. The haters are mostly idiots, just be yourself and let's get another 1200+ yard season out of ya.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 23, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Well the team actually had rushing yards, it'll just be easier to keep the stats without LJ running towards the wrong end zone. Run CP and Keiland and we'll be fine.

Posted by: Keiser | September 23, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

C.P. is next ..... i hope so!!!

Posted by: agra09 | September 23, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I love CP's pass blocking.

I loved the first episode of Boardwalk Empire, can't wait for this Sunday's episode after a full day of NFL action.

I also won't love to see what's his name in another sex scene. (Dude needs to get some sun and pump a little iron)

What is wrong with Portis and his stumbling and losing balance? If he could have kept his feet on one run I know he could have got at least 10 more yards, who knows, maybe scored. I like him around the goaline though he knows which holes to hit and has a nose for the endzone unlike Sellers who even with his size sucks at the goaline. Why is he always leaping?
If the big galoof would keep his feet on the ground he might could score around the goaline.

Who does he think he is? Sam "Bam" Cunningham? (showing my age now)

I hope we beat the crap out of the Rams, the last 2 games about gave me a heart attack.

Boardwalk Empire has already been renewed for a second season after one episode.

HTTR!

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 23, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

CP looks like one of those few guys that all the strength training actually hurt. Dude used to be really quick w/great moves when he was w/Denver, and when he first got here. Seems like he's very stiff with all that muscle. He just doesn't run well anymore. He hits great when he's blocking, but he's too small for the o-line. Maybe he'd be a good linebacker. LOL

Posted by: cliffdweller | September 23, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Portis mentions blocking twice. Is that to keep the PT for himself?

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 23, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if anyone is watching that Pitt Miami game, but the QB for Miami just got planted in the turf by a blitzing Pitt defender. We went to commericial and he still hadn't gotten up.

It is Football Season Baby.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 23, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

@Jason Reid: why in heck did you use "Leyland" instead of "Keiland" in the last paragraph????? Even if that's what Clinton said, you KNEW who he meant! That ain't professional...

Posted by: dcjazzman | September 24, 2010 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Seems like CP has haters and lovers. What I see is a back who is a top notch pass blocker who didn't get a lot of touches, but enough to get 2tds. In a game where we didn't run the ball a lot (towards the end zone) CP got it done. He was solid in game one. I don't care if he gets 1200 yards or 800 yards. 12-15tds sounds a whole lot better!

Heyer will do fine if he is needed. He will never be a star in this league but he can come in and play just about any OL position and get the job done. I won't be surprised at all when TW hits the field on sunday. Shanny is famous for this. He's hurt, I mean, no he's not... Wasn't McNabb supposed to miss the first two games? You do this so your opponent doesn't know who to prepare for.

LJ got cut because when we needed a veteran the most he did the two things a rookie wouldn't do- run out of bounds, and run backwards for a big loss. And our rookies are a lot faster. Maybe they have more sense. When your protecting a lead blast on through the tackles til they put eight in the box and then release davis or cooley, boom. Or god forbid the leave Moss all a lone out there. I don't think McNabb can throw it far enough that SM can't get under it...

Anyway HATERS- 1-1 is fine. I am not expecting a SB this year, but I do EXPECT to see 16+ competitive games. And anyone who wants to blame the kicker- he nailed it once, and it was far from a chip shot. he has a freaking boot.

Posted by: fireballhank | September 24, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fireballhank | September 24, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

How come Portis talk like he in da field, livin down Dixie way, workin fo da man? What dey teach in da U?

Posted by: pooftah2 | September 24, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

It would be great if, during interviews, players like Portis could speak a little better English. He speaks like a grade-schooler.

Did he ever get a degree? Did he ever take English grammar courses?

Posted by: spacreek | September 24, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to see Clinton Portis' lengthy remarks in here. A lot more illuminating than most of the jokers who post back.

Shanahan is known for the running game. Let's see what the running game looks like in another month or two. Then next year. All this figures to take awhile.

Posted by: dcc1968 | September 24, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

To you jokers that have a problem with Portis' grammar, does it make you feel better to point out that he's speaking "impropper English?" Get over yourselves.

And to the point that Portis made, the run has been used sparringly. There has been no commitment to establishing the running game.

Posted by: Rahwaj | September 24, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Portis is in denial. Why does this team keep this chump on the roster? He is the only guy who gets tackled BY the line of scrimmage. I swear the minute he gets there he falls down. And when he gets past it he can't stay on his feet.

Posted by: theBozyn | September 25, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@MistaMoe,
Thank you for that. Ghana Ria? I laughed so hard at your post that I actually peed a tiny bit. Whew, I'm still chuckling a half hour later.

Posted by: McLobo | September 25, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse