Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 11/22/2010

Clinton Portis played despite lingering groin injury

By Jason Reid

After Sunday's 19-16 victory in overtime against Tennessee, running back Clinton Portis acknowledged he was not fully recovered from the severe groin injury that sidelined him for five games.

Portis started in his return to the lineup at LP Field, but aggravated the injury early in the game and could miss the remainder of the season. "Is it possible? Anything is possible, bro, but who knows?" Portis said. "Gonna get an MRI [Monday] and we'll see. I'm hoping it'll be fine."

The nine-year veteran is in the final guaranteed season of his contract. Portis has a base salary of almost $7.2 million, and he could have relaxed for the rest of the season and collected his money.

Instead, he worked hard in rehab and probably came back before he should have "just to try to do my part, bro, you know?" Portis said. "Just to try to give us a spark and help. Just wanted to do what I can to help my teammates."

I've been critical of Portis in the past, but I really admire his approach this season. He worked hard in the offseason and reported to training camp in the best shape of his career with the Redskins, and then fought through the pain of rehab to play against the Titans.

By Jason Reid  | November 22, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis, Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: London Fletcher couldn't be more proud
Next: Redskins promoting James Davis to 53-man roster

Comments

Who stole JReid's sign-on?

Posted by: stevek20147 | November 22, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Reid,
Can you ask CP if he is willing to take a pay cut next year to stay with the team?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 22, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Well, if the past is any guide you'll beat your chest, swing your purse, or shadow box while your other half, monk, tells you how cute you are.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 22, 2010 11:03 AM |
======
speaking of "swinging a purse". Just watched Seymour's alleged "punch" of Ben.. It was an open handed slap against Ben's face mask and Ben went to the ground like a bag of bricks.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | November 22, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, CP, for services rendered.

It's been a good run (pun intended). At this point we mutually understand that you want to go out with the "warrior" label even though you know we know you know that you just can't do it anymore at a high/reliable level.

So, you are a "warrior".

And thanks for not having tantrums as we give the carries away to undrafted rookies and journeymen.

Peace.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Reid,

Posted by: alex35332 | November 22, 2010 11:08 AM

No way he would answer that question to the media, nor should his agent let him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

As much as a headcase he has been the last few years I do admire that he's given his all this season.

Who knows what the future holds for him.

On a different note. I'm not sure how said it on Sunday, but the injury to Rabach may be a blessing. That is, if Will Montgomery can play there consistently and proves to be an upgrade due to youth and overall strength.

This week should show us.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 22, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, I'm not tired of it, are you PlayAction?

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 10:38 AM

Monk and PlayAction are sock puppets. One guy posting on two screens, trying to do for RI what Click and Clack do for NPR. Nothing.

Monk/PlayAction, you ought to take this material over to Facebook so all your friends can see how witty you are. Grate stuff you got.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 22, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow, prick-prick has a good memory, way to use the same line you used last week you piece-of-f*ckin-repeatin-sh*t!!!

Prick-prick can't spell either. It's a 'grate' day outside, isn't it PlayAction? Oops, I mean myself?

By the way, you're not doing a very good job of TRYING to run the post anymore prick, too many people out of control on here, you know, coming and going on here without your permission, how DARE they!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

** Monday's Post-Victory Haiku Challenge **
(if you dare to accept it)

The subject today is beep-beep's ever-sagging ball sack.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 22, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

agreed, devo, major challenge with the Vikes DL this week...they got some large cats on that line....might be good to go no huddle/hurry up, wear their stuff out...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 22, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

At least with CP going out, he went out like a man. He looked good yesterday in the few amount of carries that he had, and he kept trying. Way to go CP, will definately miss you if this was your last game!!!

Keiland Williams ran hard yesterday, he's proving something as well!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I thought the runs he did make, showed the best burst from him in a long time, I was actually excited to see Portis out there with that much energy...maybe I am wrong, but I thought he looked pretty good til he got re-iunjured.

Hail.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 22, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

DEVO posted:

100% agreed, I think Rabach has been done for close to 2 years now.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I still would like to see Torain, Portis play together...I think we could play off of that for a little while, with both in the backfield. Dont want to forget out K. Williams, but he is a little slow.

Anyone watch the Iggles game last night, B. Jacobs looks awful and Bradshaw fumbles a lot...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 22, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm very surprised and a little impressed. We r officially 25% better than last year. WM looked decent at C and heyer at G.

Not sure WTF the Titans were doing, but who cares?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 22, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Cue the "CP is done forever" chorus from the hamsters.

The guy isn't anywhere near done for his career. He's 29, he's not 34.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 22, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Face it: If you're black and you play QB in the National Football League, your skin color is highly scrutinized, and used as an indicator of your intelligence, ability, and leadership. Especially the intelligence. I think it's funny that it's already determined while black QBs are in college that they haven't a shot at playing QB at the NFL level, and begin to speculate on which "other skill position" they'll play.
OR if you score low on the wonderlic, don't happen to be the most mobile QB, have average arm strength, and happen to be black, you're "a project" or "untapped potential" as far the NFL is concerned. Which puts your odds at becoming a starting QB -- who's skin color is just a few shades darker than their counterparts -- at slim to none.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 22, 2010 10:12 AM
------------------------------------------
That's a compelling argument but I disagree. That argument would have held water even twenty years ago, but those days are over. It happens that the quarterback on a high school team usually is the best all around athlete, and sometimes those guys go to college as QB's as well. There's a skill set required for NFL quarterbacks and a lot of times those QB's coming out of college were miscast from the start. Has there been some unfair assessments made? Yes, I am sure, but I am also sure the scouts and coaches in the NFL have made correct adjustments most of the time. Take Brian Mitchell for instance. He was a far better kick returner than quarterback.

When Daunte Culpepper came out of college, a lot of the same things said about Tebow were said about him, but, just as in the case of Tebow, a strong semi-accurate arm can make up for a lot of deficiencies in other areas. The knock against Tebow is he doesn't have Dennis Green coaching him.

I would agree that there are stereotypes, but NFL coaches will do anything to win and they stand to lose everything by not winning. Not playing a better player because of skin color is just a little hard to swallow these days. I am not saying it doesn't happen - i am just saying a coach who thinks like that will not last for long.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 22, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The guy isn't anywhere near done for his career. He's 29, he's not 34.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 22, 2010 11:37 AM

He's 34 in RB years...

Back-to-back injury riddled seasons from a guy with over 2200 carries would lead one to believe he's done. Not everyone is Thomas Jones or LT...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 22, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Keiland Williams ran hard yesterday, he's proving something as well!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abus

I could be totally off on this one, so feel free to correct me, but Williams seems to be the same type of runner that CP is/was. He doesn't seem to hit the hole as hard and he is not as good of a blocker, but I feel those traits will improve with experience.

Between Torain/Williams, we should have CP's successor already on the roster. Lets hope we can find a speed back in the near future for a solid combo. Not sure if Davis is that guy, but I don't think our RB situation is as dire as it might seem.

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | November 22, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Portis is done on this team Shanny will find RB's he always does. We need to worry more about who is blocking then who is running.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I for one don't think Portis is completely done. He showed yesterday that he can still be effective when he is on the field.

I do agree that he can't be an every down back anymore, and that his role needs to be greatly reduced. He will HAVE to be willing to take a major pay cut in order to play here or anywhere else next year. NO ONE will be willing to pay him 8 million. I'm sure that his agent recognizes that, and will advise Portis to renegotiate for a reasonable deal if he wants to continue his NFL career.

I believe that Portis would prefer to remain here under Shanahan and continue to pursue the Redskins all-time leading rusher title, than to try his chances with another team.

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 22, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

That's just idiotic...personally, I'm more offended by the notion that you can't criticize a black QB without fear of the race card being dealt than the actual criticism itself...as if there needs to be a different criteria for assessing a black QB opposed to a white one. Just moronic...a QB is a QB. Period.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 22, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

You shouldn't let it offend you, its best just to ignore that kind of crap. No coach would survive the NFL if they were a legit raciest, if they were it would come out in minutes. There is legit racism in this country, but I don't see it infecting our sports world much.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 22, 2010 9:37 AM

The comment about Fisher being racist for benching VY was made tongue in cheek by Diesel last night and it was because of the stupid racist remarks made against MS.

Just goes to prove that rumors take on a life of their own.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 22, 2010 9:42 AM

Tom Cable is a racist.

Riggins reminded me of Larry Csonka.
Hillis reminds me of Riggins.
Leonard reminds me Merrill Hoge.
Gerhart reminds me of Craig James.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

marrion barber:
his hair hangs from his helmet.
why can't i pull it?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 22, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Will Montgomery is six years younger than Casey Rabach and 19 pounds bigger.

Just saying.........

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | November 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

sweetsweetlou this offseason is going to be really important for KW. He's already a heady player, but adding more explosiveness to his running style will make KW a much better running back. He can drop 10 lbs, and keep his strength, the Skins will have a very solid, young running back they can work with going forward.

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

scrotal haiku for
onomatopoeia dude?
I shan't waste my time

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Haiku don't make sense;
How can we talk about Beep's
sagging balls: none there!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Danny Woodhead reminds me of Joe Washington

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Busy at work as usual so I don’t know if you guys talked about this or not…..Anyone else think Kareem Moore pulled up on that 4th qtr hit where I think it was Nate Washington caught a ball over the middle and Morre could have basted the dude but only hit him so-so? He bounced off the hit and ran for another 10 yards or so…..My hunch is that Moore was watching out for getting fined and laid up a little…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Old Rabach goes down,
Will Montgomery goes in,
Redskins win the game.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | November 22, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Danny Woodhead is fun to watch...

Jay Glazer reporting via Twitter that Chilly fired in Minn...

That should actually elevate Vikes play this week...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I just think Moore has a problem tackling in the open field, that play was not the first example of his poor tackling abilities!!! I truly expect an upgrade at that position next year, he's ok as a backup, but not THE MAN at FS.

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 12:06 PM

Could be but since he seems to pull up 5x a game...I'll go with the guy just can't tackle.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Report from FoxSport

Chilly is done in Minny...

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd say that it's about time to move on from CP.

He really hasn't been an effective, 16 game performer for some time.

Let's make way for K Williams or R Torain or someone else.

This should be CP final time as a redskin.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I hope now that Childress got canned the 'Vikes don't play with any new found inspiration next week.

I want Favre to play and hope the new HC doesn't start TJackson.

You gotta love Arseneo Hall's chances of at least one more pick next week if Favre is the starter.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Jay Glazer reporting via Twitter that Chilly fired in Minn...

That should actually elevate Vikes play this week...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 22, 2010 12:10 PM

Then where will McNabb play next year?

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 22, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Report from FoxSport

Chilly is done in Minny...

Posted by: TWISI
________________

Schefter also saying the same thing on Twitter.

Posted by: manlius1 | November 22, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Jay Glazer reporting via Twitter that Chilly fired in Minn...

That should actually elevate Vikes play this week...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 22, 2010 12:10 PM

Ugh...this is what I was afraid of.

The likely case will be Leslie Frazier taking over...a guy who is popular in the locker room and widely considered a quality HC prospect.

So much for our easy win on Sunday...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 22, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Chilly is done in Minny...

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 12:14 PM

That is way overdue. What a mess that franchise has been.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 22, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Two significant happenings yesterday that contributed to the win:

Casey Reachback being replaced and Lickenscrotum not buckling his chinstrap.

Formula for success!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 12:06 PM

Moore's problem on that play was that he didn't use good technique. He tried to bring down Washington with just a hit, and that is not good enough. He made no attempt to wrap his arms around Washington and actually make a tackle. Moore has exhibited poor tackling skills on many occasions throughout the season, and the coaches need to get on his butt to make him fix it.

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 22, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the CP era is over.

His nut fell off again.

Ouchie.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Good one Kerz...

My hunch is that K-Moore blows....and he is super annoying on twitter....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 22, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for beep;
tucking balls between your legs
makes them sag! Man wh*re!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Brown, Schefter is reporting the Frazier was named interim HC.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mafreeman | November 22, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"So much for our easy win on Sunday...

Posted by: brownwood26"

There are no easy wins for skins....they could play Frostburg St and be in a game. Not a knock, just a reality...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 22, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Chilly is done in Minny...

That dude has done everything you shouldn't do to advance the cause of his team.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Just saw that Kerz...good move for the Vikes. I wish they waited another week...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 22, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

2 Midseason firings....wonder when that last happened? Anyone got an Ellias Sports APP?

Posted by: chrislarry | November 22, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think Moore is a great tackler, and yes he should have wrapped him up, but even he could have hit the guy harder, and he has had some highlight hits in the past. I just think he pulled up a little because he was worried about the recent trend of penalties and fines on hits when guys are in the process of coming down with the catch. Obviously I can’t prove it; just my opinion. Unless a reporter asks him that question of course.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 22, 2010 12:23 PM

Valid point...but surely you understand why I like our chances against a team in disarray that's poorly coached, has players that have quit, and insist on moving along with a QB that's got a penchant for the pick 6 and the arrogance to think that it's all about him. We're 2-0 this season against teams like that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 22, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey, did any of you guys see that Childress got fired in Minny?

*** end sarcasm ***

C'mon, folks. Read, then post.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

it's funny because if favre were having the year he had last year, wouldn't be in trouble... admittedly, i haven't followed the vikes closely, but from out here it seems like childress gets fired for favre's crappy play.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 22, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"So much for our easy win on Sunday..."

And we could use an easy win.

A 32-10 3rd quarter laugher would be welcomed after a season of late game field goals and whatnot.

And the thing about playing a team where the coach has just been fired is that it usually wakes up the entire roster.

Dudes flip into, "If they canned him, they might get me next!" mode.

The attention of the sports media world will be on Redskins v. Vikings this weekend given the firing, Favre, McNabb, Shanahan, and smorgasbord of stories surrounding each franchise.

It should make for good theater.

And a tough win:

Redskins 28

Vikings 21

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I like our chances to go 6-5 this week. Pray for the Gints and Iggles to lose too.

Posted by: FedorEm | November 22, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey, did any of you guys see that Childress got fired in Minny?

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 12:32 PM

Get out of here. I'm not believing it until you post a link, 'zilla. And none of that fake BeantownGreg PFT stuff.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 22, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd say the chatta will be that:

--the vikes o-line isn't playing up to snuff

--Favre isn't Superman anymore, but till has the ability to be one

--you can throw against the vikes' secondary

--the team, in general, is just burned out on Chilly

Leslie Frazier will be a very good interim coach.

The team wil respond to him and play well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch

Sorry Walter, but that is a lazy interpretation...Not a Favre defender here but Childress was a gawd-awful coach. He sucked long before he got AP/Favre...than got lucky...and then was seduced by Favre...Favre could have been productive if he had been reigned in and AP was actually "The Man"....plus the players hated him...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 22, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I haven't followed the vikes closely, but from out here it seems like childress gets fired for favre's crappy play...

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Impossible.

According to ESPN, Brett Favre is incapable of crappy play.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 22, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

O_trod

That's not my quote.

I try to follow the entire league.

I even sat through a quarter of Bucs v. Niners and 'Hawks v. Saints yesterday.

(I think the Browns/Bucs are two of the better young teams in the league.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

My apologies, Moe.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 22, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

(I think the Browns/Bucs are two of the better young teams in the league.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I love the Josh Freeman/Raheem Morris combo. The Bucs are doing it right.

Love the Browns o-line and Peyton Hillis. Colt McCoy reminds me a lot of a young Chad Pennington.

F Mangini, though.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 22, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"Obviously, Portis is nearing the end of his career with the Redskins, and possibly his time in the NFL. And if Portis has played his last game, he has distinguished himself with his commitment to the game, and his teammates, in his final season."

By Jason Reid

NO WAY! HATER!

Ok, you're right. Cut Simpson, bring up Davis and if Portis is going to miss more than 2 weeks......IR

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Re: Chilly Fired

That stinks for the Skins. I bet there is going to be a significant bump in their play. The team seemed to hate/quit on Chilly. They'll be relieved and also spurred on to play for pride and show that they are better than what they've looked like and can now show it with Chilly out of the picture.

I guess McNabb is going to head to AZ now.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Just because Garrett got the Cowpies motivated doesn't mean Frazier will do the same for the Vikes. In fact, MOST interum coaches have a losing record and get canned by the end of the year. Mike Singletary would be the exception to the rule, they started winning and he eventually was named the HC, don't think that happens in Minny!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Fred Smoot on the Fan.

I love me some Smoot.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

updates on injuries, guys getting sent to IR, guys getting called up from the PS?? bueller....bueller....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 22, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 22, 2010 1:22 PM |

Bean I'm sure PFT will have this soon I will post it for you.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse
_____________

Am I wrong, or was CP averaging over 6 YPC yesterday and looked good until he reaggravated his injury? He didn't look old or washed up at all when he was in there. Let's wait until we see the extent of this latest problem before we write him off. He's still the best and most talented back that we have and he seems to be motivated this year.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 22, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Reverend Mike's miracle healing hands will be working overtime this week.

Send your "love offerings" to
Reverend Mike Shanahan
21300 Redskin Park Dr.
Asburn, VA 20147-6100

Posted by: Vic1 | November 22, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 22, 2010 1:22 PM

That usually comes during the press conference. Unless, of course, it's posted somewhere else before the press conference and one of our web surfers copies it up here for us. We usually count on you to bring it over from PFT.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 22, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Reverend Mike's miracle healing hands will be working overtime this week.

Send your "love offerings" to
Reverend Mike Shanahan
21300 Redskin Park Dr.
Asburn, VA 20147-6100

Posted by: Vic1 | November 22, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Most teams don't do well under an interim coach b/c the team is atrocious and talent-less and coaches become the fall-guys for teams poorly built

This is the same team that went to the NFC Championship game last season.

The talent is there. The players are there. The dysfunction had to do with drama and in-fighting. They got rid of one of the main culprits.

I expect them to play much better - at least for one week - which is unfortunately the week we have to play them.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

No one questions: CP always left it on the field. BUT it's damn naive to believe that his haste to get back on the field doesn't have everything to do with this being his last guaranteed contract year. CP IS AUDITIONING FOR A PAYDAY SOMEPLACE NEXT YEAR: in the end, CP will always be, mostly, about CP. Frankly, CP's been wildly overpaid as a 'skin.

And JReid knows this (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/clinton-portis/is-an-aging-clinton-portis-fin.html?wprss=redskinsinsider) that's why there's no way JReid wrote this drivel about CP being a hero.

Posted by: winker2233 | November 22, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 22, 2010 1:24 PM

I thought he looked good when he was in there yesterday too. Not surprised that he reaggravated it though. When they said that it completely tore from the bone the first time around I was shocked when they said he’d only be out 4-6 weeks.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@vic1

It looks like those bad jokes of yours are symptomatic of a disease:

Witzelsucht, from the German witzeln, meaning to joke or wisecrack, and sucht meaning addiction or yearning, is a set of rare neurological symptoms characterized by the patient's uncontrollable tendency to make puns, tell inappropriate jokes and pointless or irrelevant stories at inconvenient moments. The patient nevertheless finds these utterances intensely amusing.

You might want to talk with your physician about this at your next annual physical.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 22, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Just heard that James Davis will be promoted to the 53 man roster.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 22, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm no doctor or soothsayer. But unless the MRI is a worse case one, I firmly believe that CP will play again for this team. He looked really good yesterday...if the tear hasn't gotten worse and he can give it 2-3 more weeks to heal, do not be surprised if not only he finishes the season but is back next. People are overvaluing Shanny's ability to pick a guy off the scrap heap. CP is a proven commodity who knows the system and is still our most talented runner.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 22, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 22, 2010 1:24 PM

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 1:34 PM |

Fresh legs.

Then his ball fell off again.

He's done.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

He's done.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 1:36 PM |

so are you

Posted by: hessone | November 22, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 22, 2010 1:35 PM |

CP is in no way the most talented RB on the Skins roster today, November 22nd in the year 2010.

Fuc*ing

Way

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 1:34 PM |

Beep-beep just needs to give it a good rub down...CP will be fine.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 22, 2010 1:24 PM

You don't get it.

When someone has so much wear-tear on them that they can't stay in one piece long enough to contribute in a game, then that means they are "done".

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I also think that they need to get the ball in Fred Davis’ hands more. They guy is just plain tough to bring down. They need to design more plays for him, and not just the roll out away and then chuck it back/downfield to Davis. That one’s on film several times and any smart team is going to look for it.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

This is the same team that went to the NFC Championship game last season.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The Vikings are not out of the woods yet, they need to start rebuilding. Their Defensive Front is getting old and not getting the passrush they used to, Favre needs to leave and a new QB has to be brought in for that team to succeed. Harvin is not a #1 receiver, and Rice might not be the same after that injury. I think you're giving the Vikes too much credit!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Fresh black legs.

Then his dark ball fell off again.

He's done because he's black.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you are being EXTRA racist today aren't you???

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post there…..

I keep remembering stuff from the game; sorry to be so chatty..
Didn’t see any postgame stuff or read any of the print stuff. Did they ever explain why, with 1:55 left in regulation and the clock already stopped, the Defense called timeout, essentially taking one away from the offense for the final drive towards a FG? One more timeout could have helped get them that much closer for Gano and possibly avoid OT. I can see if the D only had 10 guys out there or something, but the tv guys never made a big deal of it. I sure yelled at the tv for a minute or two after that. I couldn’t believe it.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Portis is the man...still!

Risking everything to help the team stay in the hunt.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

CP the little train that can't get it done anymore.

BTW, Richard Seymour should get AFC the defensive player against rapist award this week.

Posted by: tomass169 | November 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

That may all be true when the FO sits back this offseason and assesses the direction of the team for the future.

It means precious little for this Sunday.

They seemed to turn on Chilly and they'll be pumped that he got fired.

They'll be eager to show that they are better than their record.

They'll feel the pressure of knowing their necks are on the line now that they can't point the finger at Chilly anymore.

And if you haven't noticed, the Skins are not exactly top-notch competition. It's not like McNabb is going to pull an Aaron Rodgers and throw 4 TDs. We don't know who our starting RB will be. Or our starting Oline for that matter.

We've not been able to stop offenses and if we don't generate turnovers, we are cooked. Sure, we won a gutsy game by a FG in overtime this Sunday. But I doubt Rusty Smith will be back there taking snaps for Minny.

This was going to be a tough game already; now there will be an extra emotional motivational factor working for the Vikes.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"I've been critical of Portis in the past,"
- Critical? You've been a total a whole hater punk hipocrit gossiping cry baby beach!

"but I really admire his approach this season."
- Maybe someday we will admire your approach to your job, but so far NOT!

"if Portis has played his last game, he has distinguished himself with his commitment to the game, and his teammates, in his final season."
- He distinguished himself as a rookie and every season after you arrogant doosh, try distinguishuing yourself.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 22, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

He's done.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 1:36 PM |

so are you

Posted by: hessone | November 22, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

We just wanted you to know that we are tired of your schtick hess. NERD!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I keep remembering stuff from the game; sorry to be so chatty..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

There might have been an injured player that they needed to stay on the field. If the trainers go out, then he would have to sit or take a timeout.

That might have been it?

Or just wrong personnel groupings when they needed a stop?

Either way I thought it was a gutsy call and would have worked out if Gano could put it together.

Kid has a good leg, but the pressure seems to get to him at times.

You could tell that he focused too much on his accuracy and didn't put enough leg into it.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Pray tell who is then? I like Torain and Keiland but if you think they are as talented as CP me thinks you're wrong. Again, I'm assuming he's not re-torn his groin and the MRI is not worst case per my last post. The dude still has a better burst, is a better pass blocker, and knows the zone blk scheme best. Not sure how this point is really up for debate...but everything always is on this site I guess

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 22, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

posted on Fri that I wouldn't have let Portis play this weekend -- that sort of injury is too easy to re-injure. Good for CP wanting to go for it, but the coaches needed to be smarter. After all, if I can see it coming ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

He's done.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 1:36 PM |

so are you

Posted by: hessone | November 22, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

We just wanted you to know that we are tired of your schtick hess. NERD!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 1:57 PM

Co-sign

Posted by: PlayAction | November 22, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Noted the post-game show yesterday -- where Clinton and Albert stood side-by-side and engaged in "who da man?"

"No, you do man."

No, you is.

And on it went.

We figured there was something like $50 million in current annual salary standing there trying to look relevant -- or roughly one-fourth of the entire team payroll for this season.

Who da man?

Posted by: Vic1 | November 22, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I understand what you are saying, but I still think you are giving the Vikes too much credit.

The reason Garrett is having success is that (as much as it sickens me to admit) the Cowpies are a good team that just needed a kick in the ass. The Vikes on the other hand aren't half as talented as the Cowpies.

Old/underachieving DLine, overrated/aging QB, and weak receiving corps are things they have to worry about this year, AND next year. I just don't see them being that much better without Chilly.

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

The reason Garrett is having success is that (as much as it sickens me to admit) the Cowpies are a good team that just needed a kick in the @#!*% . The Vikes on the other hand aren't half as talented as the Cowpies.

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

??

You do recall that the Vikes obliterated the Pies in the playoffs last year.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure it was a calculated risk. If Torain were healthy my bet is that you don't see CP pushed into action.

But they needed more than one RB who knows the scheme (that excludes Chad and James).

And for $6mill, I'm sure Shanny felt like CP should at least try to step up in a needy situation.

But yeah, I was expecting a re-injury, too. After watching him the past 2 seasons or so, I don't know why anyone would expect CP to stay healthy under any circumstances.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@Notor,

You're not crazy - it's not up for debate. CP is the most talented RB on this roster.

But if he's unable to stay on the field, what good does his remaining talent do the Skins?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

... the Cowpies are a good team that just needed a kick in the @#!*% . The Vikes on the other hand aren't half as talented as the Cowpies.

Posted by: monk811

Really?

QB - Push
Backs - Vikes
Receivers - Dallas
OL - Vikes

DL - Vikes
LB - Push
DB - Vikes

ST - Push

I'd say as far as talent the Vikings are just as good as, if not better than the Cowboys.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 22, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Look how good Portis looked Sunday and he was hurt....bad. He tore is groin OFF THE BONE a few weeks ago. This guy IS a warrior and one of the best blockers in the league. Let him heal and bring him back next year with Torain and Williams.
And PLEASE STOP BRINGING UP RACE WITH QB'S. Didn't we have enough of that 20 years ago with Doug Williams? The guy played great in the SB and was MVP. Williams proved at last that black QB's can prosper. If a QB is dumb now, it's not because he's black, it's because he's dumb!! Jason Campbell struggled with us, is struggling with Oakland not because he's dumb or black....he just doesn't " have it ". Leave the skin color out of it..

Posted by: Riggo2 | November 22, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Watched some of the cowboys/lions game during breaks from the skins game. Didn’t like hearing Moose Johnston say that when they watched the cowboys practice on Friday, the “pace and feel” of practice reminded him of how they practiced when Jimmy Johnson was coach. Good thing they waited so long to fire Phillips.

Also, just my opinion…..Tony Romo doesn’t necessarily just get the starter job handed back to him.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 22, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

If the past is any indication of what the future may bring, let's remember it took the team several days to read and analyze the MRI results from Clinton's original injury before they eventually declared that it was serious enough to expect to keep him from playing for at least 4-6 weeks.

I also suspect that they'll want to exercise the same due diligence before finally deciding to IR him for the rest of the season.

Am prepared to give the Dude his due, but must say it's time already for him step aside in favor of someone who might just be able to contribute something over the remainder of the season.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 22, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that Doug Williams' performance in '88 banished racism forever.

And I loved the guy before!

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 22, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I am genuinely looking forward to watching the Skins give the Vikes an a$$ whipping on Sunday.

Early prediction: We finally blow a team out. 35-7

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Skins have signed RB James Davis.... played college ball at Clemson, drafted by the browns in the 6th round... was on their practice squad.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

He's done.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 1:36 PM |

At least he didn't call the game for the other team in the forth quarter you phukin d0uchebag.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

You don't get it.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse
_______

No, I do get it. I'm just not willing to write him off yet without getting the full extent of his injury. He's been such a key component of this team's offense and such a football warrior for so long that he gets a pass from me for now on calling him "done".

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 22, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

or on OUR practice squad...................... I had no idea he was on our practice squad....

Posted by: rachel216 | November 22, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Simpson to IR. Welcome to the 53 man roster James Davis.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

He's (Clinton Portis) has been such a key component of this team's offense and such a football warrior for so long that he gets a pass from me for now on calling him "done".

Portis has missed huge chunks of the past two seasons.

He might not be done as a football player.

But, for the best interest of the team, he should be done.

We need to get around to auditioning his replacement.

Nothing against him personally, just that there's a tipping point with athletes where holding on to them hurts the team for the long term.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

CP get well, you are needed! This guy is awesome even in with only one good leg he will give you more than a lot of others in this team.

Posted by: hock1 | November 22, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | November 22, 2010 2:38 PM |

He has been there for 3 weeks and everyone on here has been saying to bring him up.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

He's done.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 1:36 PM |

so are you

Posted by: hessone | November 22, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

We just wanted you to know that we are tired of your schtick hess. NERD!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 22, 2010 1:57 PM

Co-sign

Posted by: PlayAction | November 22, 2010 2:04 PM |

You are BOTH owned. The simple fact that neither of you like me makes me the undeniable winner and owner of you both, as well as your filthy, rotten $2 mothers and those ramshackle dwellings you call homes that we all call squalor.

You don't possess the creativity or intellect to affect my visits here so you can keep yapping like 4th graders who can't keep up with the big kids.

Cheers.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Simpson to IR.

Homer Simpson: I hope it's not me.

OJ Simpson: Well, I know it's not me.

Prison life means I got a weekend of tossin' salads to look forward to.

That and pullin' my own groin.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

The real question I want to know is are their any serviceable O-linemen out there waiting for tryout?

Ray Brown...paging Mr. Ray Brown.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 22, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Cut Rach some slack, Flound - she's evidently been taking a break from the RI threads.

That can only be good for her health.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 22, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Dirty Davis is legit, that dude needs to see touches.

Percy Harvin is a number one WR. But even if you dont consider him to be one he can still torch us with relative ease, he is both very strong and very fast. He is a lot better then some guys that have put up major yds against us(k.walter).

Posted by: Stu27 | November 22, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

oh i must've missed it. now let's hope he doesn't get hurt in pregame warmups.....

is torain close to being back?

Posted by: rachel216 | November 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | November 22, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

He's been on my fantasy team for a week now. Word is that he should really excel in this system.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Ray Brown...paging Mr. Ray Brown.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 22, 2010 2:49 PM |

Not sure but I would promote from within, you have guys on the practice squad that have been practicing all year.

They have to be better then a 40 year old o-linemen who's been sitting on his a$$.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Packers may have a chance for the hat trick.

They played dallas, next day, wade gets fired. They played Minny, next day, Childress gets fired. In 2 weeks, they play the 3-7 49ers. Anyone bets on how long Singletary keeps his job ... ?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

James Davis wrote on his twitter: "The cuffs has been taken off the beast"

a run by him: he has breakaway speed!!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 22, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 22, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

yup stevie, I have been. I'm at Hogs Haven....... where the posters are much more pleasant toward each other...

Posted by: rachel216 | November 22, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

many of the anti-portis remarks remind me of exactly why many "highly paid athletes" could give a shyte about fans. it's a bizzniss. make the money and get tf outta dodge, hopefully, with good health! the U.S. is a gladiator society, so TAKE the money (EVERY PENNY you can reap) and run like hell cuz (as bobby womack would say) fame don't mean squat and "nobody wants you when you're down and out!"

Posted by: dcjazzman | November 22, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

The Skins in Nashville:
Hurt, bleeding, dragging, fighting.
Folks here yelp like mutts.

Posted by: ACounter | November 22, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

The Skins in Nashville:
Hurt, bleeding, dragging, fighting.
Folks here yelp like mutts.

Posted by: ACounter | November 22, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Seriously... did ANYONE think Portis would make it through the game??? Given how well he protects and runs, why in the world wouldn't they wait until he's 100%?

Dumb... but then it is the Skins.

Posted by: Redskinrex | November 22, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

You write about Portis' pain, c'mon bro, having to watch him play anymore gives me far more pain than he's experiencing!
Can't they get him a position at the White House doing something constructive like scheduling vacations?

Posted by: burro2 | November 23, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Portis has 9,923 career rushing yards. It would be nice to see him get another 78 yards as a Redskin to pass 10,000 career rushing yards.

He's done well for the team in his time here and has taken far more physical punishment than most backs his age. Too bad he played so long in the Snyder/Cerrato era when offensive linemen were considered an afterthought.

Posted by: dcc1968 | November 23, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse