Clinton Portis says he fell "on purpose" to protect the ball

Running back Clinton Portis said Tuesday that he fell to the ground on purpose at the end of his long run Sunday and that he was coached to do so.

"I did fall on purpose," he said in an appearance on Mike Wise's show on 106.7 The Fan "...All week long we were coached to sacrifice yardage for the ball. ... I wasn't going to risk somebody grabbing my arm, snatching my arm."

He also said that "I've been carrying the ball with two hands in practice. Sunday in the game, was the first time I carried with one hand."

Portis went down untouched after a 27-yard run early in the Redskins 30-16 loss to the St. Louis Rams Sunday, raising some questions in the media about whether he should have fought for more yards.

He was a non-factor in the run game in the second half, with just one carry.

Asked about that, he said: "There's a lot about life you don't understand. Welcome to my world."

There's more on Cindy Boren's blog, The Early Lead:

By Jason Reid  | September 28, 2010; 12:27 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rams rookie Sam Bradford leaves Redskins impressed
Next: Donovan McNabb expects to be cheered in Philly

Comments

Yeah, and Buster Douglass stayed down to take it easy on his back.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 28, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I would accuse CP of point-shaving but the fact that he is on the Redskins renders that a moot point.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 28, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd be pissed if someone snatched my arm.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

All week long? You play running back for 20+ years at that high a level and then over the course of one week's practice turn into the NFL's version of Vlade Divac?

Really? I mean, seriously?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 28, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If you are not going to run hard or play scared STAY HOME. Common man. We need players to come in and be nasty and play hard like Laron Landry and Fletcher. Tired of these momma's boys pretending to care to win. We need young HUNGRY talent. Haynesworth thinks he is a slave if he plays hard. Portis thinks he might fumble if he runs hard. This mentality has got to go. Trade them, get rid of them, release them.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | September 28, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Portis made the right move. Amazing how people completely forgot what happened to Moss...he tried to gain a couple extra yards at the expense of ball security.

Portis would have maybe gained another couple yards...the DB was about to make the tackle on the ball side with ample opportunity to strip the ball. Five yards in the middle of the field isn't going to change a thing, but a turnover is.

Posted by: Section104 | September 28, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Dude can chuck out all the reasoning he wants, but he's wrong in the end. CP cut into the open field, slowed up, looked around, then covered the ball with 2 hands and slid. Every other running back in the league would have and should have accelerated into that space. I don't care that he sacrificed 5 yards to save himself from being hit. I care that he sacrificed 50 yards because he was tentative and indecisive in the open field.

And apparently Shanahan felt the same way. As he should.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Where is the stat dude at? I would like to know the Fumbling Probability (FP) in that scenario...and if a player should sacrifice yardage for the ball.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Top Ten Reasons Why Clinton Took a Dive...

"I had a vision problem - I couldn't SEE any point in running anymore."

"I was running along and suddenly I was haunted by the ghosts of Michael Vicks' dogs."

-"That wasn't me. I was possessed by my alter ego Southside Jerome at the time. That guy won't do anything the coaches ask him to do."

-"I heard Ines Sainz was going to be in the locker room and I wanted to preserve my body for the half time show."

-"Bone spurs."

-"Jim Zorn told me to stay medium and I couldn't do that if those dude racked me up."

-"This should not be considered a strike - it was a workers' slow down to just protest the NFLPA's differences with the owners."

-"It's that offensive line, man. Other teams, the offensive linemen escort you all the way down the field, but there I was again out there all by myself. I woulda' had 200 yards rushing in that game if I had some better blocking!"

-"Mike Sellers didn't block for me. I asked the coach to replace him, but coach don't listen to me."

-"Ryan Torain told me to."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

matters not I suppose...I mean, its not like it was the difference between winning and losing....Skins need a GREAT showing this weekend, or the skids they are a coming.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign on Section104. At least CP didn't fumble like Moss did. Either way, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't regarding fighting for extra yards.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | September 28, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 12:50 PM |

The FP is equivalent to the Getting Laid Probability (GLP) of pabrian.

Translation?

Zippy.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 28, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | September 28, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104 | September 28, 2010 12:47 PM

Oh I didn't forget...no clue what Santana was doing...switched arms with the ball 3 or 4 times for no reason.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe folks are calling this dude out. Soft, tenative dudes don't try to eat up DL and LBs much bigger than him while blocking.

The dudes wrist is bad. Why is that hard for people to believe.

Posted by: dcwun | September 28, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104 | September 28, 2010 12:47 PM
------------------------------------------
So, CP should just fall down at the line of scrimmage since there are all kinds of guys there waiting to knock the ball from his hands?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

My bad on the double post

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | September 28, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The cheifs r looking nice...
Some may remember me begging for mcluster...
We need a draft like they had....
I think 3 or 4 rook starters???
Dynamic starters also

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 28, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

WE ARE THE LEADING TACKLER OF CLINTON PORTIS OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS!

Sincerely,

Grass

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 28, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The FP is equivalent to the Getting Laid Probability (GLP) of pabrian.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 28, 2010 12:55 PM

Is pabrian an ex-Navy fighter pilot too? Apparently they get all the chicks.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Dcswun

People gotta see it like this, -3 potential yards vs a moss-like turnover potential.

Easy choice, turnover!! Hahha riiiiightt

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 28, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

WE ARE THE LEADING TACKLER OF CLINTON PORTIS OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS!

Sincerely,

Grass

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 28, 2010 1:01 PM
-------------------------------------------
Those aren't all unassisted tackles: Gravity was in on most of them.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Is this play online? Because I don't remember it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I remember a long time ago Gerald Riggs was talking about finishing the run. He said he was always looking for getting yardage after that initial contact, driving his shoulder into a defender and then keeping those legs pumping. It was a staple of John Riggins' running game as well. Those guys always made yardage after that initial contact. CP is falling down before any contact is made. That is not running back play. That is what a quarterback is supposed to do.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Is this play online? Because I don't remember it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 1:06 PM

I'd say search "Portis Falling Down" on youtube...but you will probably have to be more specific.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

First thing that came to mind was, "did he just qb slide and he is better than JC at that..."

It was pretty bad.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 28, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with what portis did. I also agree with Shanny's benching him in the second half, since it was obvious that the injured wrist was seriously compromising his effectiveness as a runner.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | September 28, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis wins Prestigious Albert Haynesworth Academy "Best Flop" Award.

Dateline: Washington, D.C. via cyberspace

The run was the longest in Clinton Portis' tenure with the Redskins during the Mike Shannahan era. He found open space and must have been shocked. He stumbled and then gained control only to flop on the turf as if he had just been shoestring tackled by a ghost.

When given an out to allow the stumble to be just that, Portis announced that he intentionally took a dive. Many Redskin supporters aren't surprised by the action. And likely many of Redskin nation aren't surprised he admitted it.

But the Albert Haynesworth Academy of Flopping was so taken aback by the skill and the way he fell, that Portis was given the "Flopping Award" without the usual offseason delay. The Award, printed on the opposite side of a BBQ restaurant menu complete with oil stains, is drop-shipped to the winner via UPS and does include a crisp two dollar bill financial award.

Attempts to contact the Haynesworth Academy were unsuccessful because such communications were completely voluntary and the academy is no slave to the press.

Posted by: laserwizard | September 28, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | September 28, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I actually said that during the game. It was a concious decision.

And f all y'all that he has to explain this.

This whole CPo thing has reached Soup proportions... but here we're actually dealing w/ a real starter.

ridic.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is old, weird, washed up and running behind one of the league's worst lines.

Jason Whitlock, Fox Sports

Sums up CP26 perfectly.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't know which has gotten worse over the years, CP26 running skills or his butchering of the english language. anyways the evil monkey in my closet says 10-6 or bust

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 28, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"All week long we were coached to sacrifice yardage for the ball. ... I wasn't going to risk somebody grabbing my arm, snatching my arm."--LOL thats new news to me...the explanation Coach gave yesterday when asked that question was that CP told him his arm wasn't ok so he didn't want to risk losing the ball...someone is not telling the truth...THE way i see it CP was trying to save face as he knows he doesn't have the same burst of speed he once had...he didn't want to get tackled from behind so hence this lousy excuse....we made the wrong move in the offseason bringing in parker and LJ when we should've brought in LT who seems to have some of that explosiveness back....

Posted by: BundyYim | September 28, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't he at least wrap up the ball with both arms and dive forward?

Posted by: shanks1 | September 28, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

This is way overblown and not a big deal.

Players step out of bounds instead of fighting for a couple extra yards all the time. I don't really see any difference here other than it happened in the middle of the field so he couldn't just step out of bounds.

It makes sense to avoid an unecessary hit that might result in a turnover or injury. I don't know why everyone is criticizing Portis. He was about to get gang tackled by 4-5 players. He wasn;t going anywhere even if he hadn't gone down. It's not like he was one on one with a DB and could have dragged the tackler downfield for another 10 yards.

Posted by: HokiePaul | September 28, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Not to be confused with the hundreds of other times he has "slipped" over the past several seasons. This was the only one that was ever intentional.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 28, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

you know guys, i never see Portis slip of fall down or even lay out when he's staring down the barell of a 250+lb blitzing linebacker or lineman when he's in there keeping our qbs upright behind our leaky offensive lines. He's always brought the fight to the defense. If he says coaches told him to sacrifice yds for the ball, i'll take that. Toughness is one area where CP26 definitely deserves the benefir of the doubt......remember the dislocated shoulder chasing down that Brunell interception return....in the preseason? Cp rarely takes plays off and always plays with physicality. i wouldn't be calling him a puss because he ran 27 yds and stopped when there was nowhere left to run.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

The problem is not that he fell down after a 27 yard gain.

The problem is he got one carry in the second half.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | September 28, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

So based on CP's explanation, he should drop to the ground once McNabb hands him the ball. EVERYTIME! Someone might grab his arm in order to tackle him. Idiot.

Posted by: anw821 | September 28, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

he doesnt run like these young violent runners of today!!! thats the bottom line! i wish someone would ask him how come he doesnt run like he blocks. im willing to bet that he would pause for a few seconds and say "it is what it is". i hate when clowns say that!!

Posted by: lincolnhomes | September 28, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

We all got to chip in and get CP an english version Rosetta Stone.

Posted by: sjp879 | September 28, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

We all got to chip in and get CP an english version Rosetta Stone.

Posted by: sjp879 | September 28, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

We all have to chip in and get CP an English version of "Rosetta Stone."

Posted by: fan-o-matic | September 28, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I feel like Redskins fans are getting dumber and dumber each season. I understand the frustration, due to the underachieving (or maybe we as fans have delusional expectations each year, maybe we just aren't as talented as we think we are) but let's be rational.

First of all, CP has been the most consistent player we have had, since he has been here; minus the two years he was injured, he has rush for over 1200 yards (@ no worst than a 3.8 avg.) and caught about 200 yds out of the backfield (not to mention his punishing pass protecting blocks).

Those who say he was having a down year last year before his injury aren't being fair, CP's rush/avg was at a healthy 4.0 (not pro bowl level, but very respectable), with a swiss cheese offensive line. If he were to finish the season, it's not out of the question that he could have reached 1000. Secondly, for anyone to question this man's heart is flat out stupid, although he runs his mouth sometime, their has been no redskin I know in last ten that has as much heart as number 26.

Side note- who ever is talking about Stephen Davis, please be quite, 48 had some good years with us, but he was one of the softest "big" backs I know, tip-toeing through holes, and not finishing off runs. Davis' "paper work" as CP would say, does come close to 26's. CP is currently number 20th on the NFL's ALL-TIME rushing yards list. And could possibly end up in the top ten with three more respectable years.

Thirdly, I would say CP's "dive" was the least of our problems on Sunday, it's funny that I hear all this criticism over this "dive", but no blame directed at the play-caller, who ran the ball 14 times-let me say it again 14 TIMES-when we getting 6+ yards a clip (from both RB's). WTF is that. I know Kyle is suppose to be running the show but, where is Mike's genius when it comes to running the ball. (Tangent- in the Houston game-I didn't see it I just move to Vegas), did we run a reverse with Moss on a 2nd down with like 3 yards to go in our territory ,and lose like 6 yds., after CP was starting to get into a groove- WTF is that, if we pick up a 1st down, we don't punt and milk the clock score and win the ball game, questionable playcaling?)

Lastly, we as fan always get on our owner for being impatience, how about we show some patience. We have a new coaching staff (offense and defense), a new QB and we are currently second in our division, with a big divisional game come up (in which, if we win we will be first in the NFC East, with a 2-0 record). I guess I am saying, we blew a sizable lead to a playoff caliber team in Houston, and we lost against one of the league worst teams, BUT WE ARE STILL IN IT.

Remember the Giants won the Superbowl a couple of years ago, after they started out 1-2. Everyone was calling for their head coach's head and criticizing their QB, then they turned their season around by winning a divisional game on the road (ironically against our's truly). Not saying that going to happen, but...

Posted by: JON2121114 | September 28, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

If there is anyone in the local media covering the Redskins that didn't know that Portis has had a problem wrist for a couple of weeks now and should go to the ground after a run that was going to result in a first down, they should hand in their credentials and maybe find another line of work. If he had fought for the few extra yards available and fumbled, they would be the first to find fault with him.

Posted by: golfwise | September 28, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Unacceptable. You don't take a dive unless you're a qb. Football fact. I love you Portis but if you're body wont allow you to play this position, then you're done. You are the man Portis, but its Torain time now.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | September 28, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

All you folks who make fun of Clinton Portis's english, I bet nobody at the bank has any problem understanding him.

He's speaking English there that you'll never speak in your whole entire life.

Is that understandable?

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 28, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis will be a Patriot next year (the place where over-the-hill players go, sorta like a S. Florida retirement home).

Posted by: bernard_thompson | September 29, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

CP is a cancer, has been for years. Just because he showed up for workouts this year doesn't change that - he is what he is. Time to move on.

Posted by: kone | September 29, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

CP is the poster boy for what's been ailing this club since Danny Boy took over. He is what he is - a spoiled brat.

We're supposed to believe that suddenly he's reinvented himself just because he attended workouts and got himself in average NFL shape? Enough already...he's a cancer, time to move on. I'll accept the losses at the expense of changing the culture.

Posted by: kone | September 29, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse