Clinton Portis says he hopes to play Monday

By Jason Reid

Although he has experienced "minor" setbacks in rehab, veteran running back Clinton Portis still hopes to return to the lineup Monday night against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field, Portis said Thursday.

Meeting with reporters before practice at Redskins Park, Portis, who has been sidelined the past four games because of a severe groin tear, reiterated he is "looking forward to the opportunity to go out and try. One day at a time."

After suffering the injury during Washington's 17-12 victory against Philadelphia in Week 4, Portis has participated in practice this week in an attempt to contribute in the second meeting with the Eagles.

"I think I'm making progress," Portis said. "But I can't just sit here and tell you it's a definite. I've got to go out and continue to get through the rest of this week. And hopefully on Monday, and I can go out there."

Portis has experienced the setbacks after attempting to go full speed in practice. Before Portis returned to practice, members of Washington's medical/training staff informed him he should expect to experience soreness and swelling in his groin area, and "it's real sore," he said. "I think these are signs that they expected. Pretty much just staying on top of it. Every I chance I get, just getting treatment."

By Jason Reid  | November 11, 2010; 1:52 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall: Eagles' Michael Vick 'might be better than ever'
Next: Portis suffers setback, running back situation for Eagles game is still unclear

Comments

Ok....sounds like a game day decision....but still activate James Davis Irregardless....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

We have a list of what you should expect to see:

...

And this last development is the only one we can guarantee

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 11, 2010 1:32 PM |

Dude - you left one out:

MistaMoe will give ElDrano a blumpkin in appreciation for snaking out his wife's pipes.

And we can guarantee it 100%!

Posted by: ElDrano | November 11, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

stop BS portis...get on the field

Posted by: taylormade218 | November 11, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 1:59 PM |

Dude, you must really have an issue or issues if you come unhinged by what was an innocent and clever list. I am more than happy that you expose yourself this way. It's people like you, specifically and personally that make me get off on pointing out how small and more than likely unhappy with your station in life.

Now, if I may stoop to your level - which I totally don't mind since you know where I live - you are a rancid, vaginal blood fart. I would have to get myself drunk and/or stoned to bang any woman who is likely to be as disgusting as yours. I would tape her juggling my nuts with her mouth and then post the video online and include a link in one of my blog posts here.

I would, however, be courteous enough to post it after the lunch hour so as not to ruin anyone's appetite.

You're naval lint.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't expect Portis to play. Good for him to play it up that he is ready. This probably brings a smile to Shanahan's face, and supports his plan of never showing his hand before he has to. I believe Torain, Simpson, and Williams are all full-go, but wouldn't be surprised to see Simpson let go. The team will need to open a space for Davis. Simpson has really only contributed on two kick returns and no offense, so he really wouldn't be missed. I was suspicious that maybe they had some special offensive packages for Simpson, but sometimes it is and it seems, and it seems Simpson was just brought in as a special teams guy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl

get lost you dive ass

and you can blow me while you're at it

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Why is CP wearing a Phillies hat to meet with the media?

UFB! He must be ready to play if he's back to acting like an ass.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 11, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl

get lost you dive ass

and you can blow me while you're at it

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:18 PM |

You want a man to blow you? Seriously? Why is that? Why do you want another man to suck you off?

I think we all know the answer to that.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

That was wierd hess.

While I haven't seen this weeks official injury report yet...let me take a guess...

Clinton Portis - Doubtful

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

time to get some work done......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I think we all know the answer to that.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 2:21 PM |

yea, so I can fill your mouth with cum and watch you gargle and play with it before you swallow it, again, blow me

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Stephon Heyer has let the 'dreads' grow back.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 11, 2010 1:31 PM

I hope not. Since cutting them, he is the spitting image of a young Dexter Manley. Don't think so? Check out the picture of him sitting on the bench on the WaPo Redskins page. I checked to see if the bench he was sitting on was really a disoriented Gary Hogeboom.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl_Body_Odor

and before you go there, blow me

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Careful, I think he'll take you up on that offer!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano

I would respond.

But your arms are abit too short to box with this God.

Keep trying.

I got a lollipop for you to suck on once you get it right.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 11, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Careful, I think he'll take you up on that offer!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 2:28 PM |

no one wants anything to do with the POS so he can suck his own cock for all I care

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Two low-rent dooshes in one post.

It's a doosh sandwich.

I would go and kick the first bum I see on the street after work assuming it's one of you two but then, I forget all about this blog the nanosecond I go on to something else.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 1:59 PM |

You're naval lint.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl_Body_Odor | November 11, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I came unhinged??? If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black, oops, you don't like 'black' things, sorry I forgot! You couldn't take a little joke about Butz and Dixon, which is weird cause I know you play with them everyday!!!

There is a reason you'd have to get that drunk or high to sleep with a woman, that's ok, we already know you like puffing on the 'skin flute', it's not like this is a big 'coming out moment' for you!!! By the way, wipe your chin......

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I forget all about this blog the nanosecond I go on to something else.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 2:32 PM |

good, leave and stay that way

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, this seasons ONLY matchup of Heisman Trophy winning QBs takes place this weekend ... Rams vs 49ers, Sam Bradford vs Troy Smith.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Two low-rent dooshes in one post.

It's a doosh sandwich.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl_Body_Odor | November 11, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You're right, since I'm a BUM I would have access to a computer and internet so I can talk to idiots like you! I got one of those delux cardboard refrigerator boxes as my home, so I'm not technically homeless. By the way, your mom says high, she kinda stunk up my box the last time she was here, I told her to close her legs. Well, now I know where you get your odor, funny User ID by the way!!! hahaha

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

portis will play only on passing plays...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 11, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

that is, until/unless they meet again, later in the year

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Heisman, yesterday's ESPN report about Cam Newton chatting it up with Miss St coaches and asking for money is falling apart. Somebody is fibbin...

Posted by: will_ga | November 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't like to spend much time trying to change other people's blog behavior...but can we please give the fellatio talk a rest? Please? It's juvenile, gross, and beneath our high Redskins Insider standards.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 11, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

forget all about this blog the nanosecond I go on to something else.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 2:32 PM |

good, leave and stay that way

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:35 PM

This the same hessone who was telling me the other day that I should exchange e/m's with Chia_Putz because you didn't like the fighting on the blog?

Posted by: beep-beep | November 11, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Two low-rent dooshes in one post.

It's a doosh sandwich.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl_Body_Odor | November 11, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm loving this whole exchange.

Moms, doosh sandwiches, bums with wi-fi.

This is great.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:26 PM

Most bizarre thing I have read on here so far...and that's saying something. Oh...yeah...Red's sheep thing the other day was kinda bizarre too.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 11, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think we had standards......

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | November 11, 2010 2:47 PM |

no, it's the racist, over and out

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I believe in this jinx:

Tiki turns around on Tom Coughlin
Posted by Mike Florio on November 11, 2010, 12:48 PM EST
In September, when the Giants were struggling at 1-2, former Giants tailback Tiki Barber pounced.

“I don’t know if he’s completely lost control of the team, but it’s definitely slipping away,” Barber said at the time. “Right now, Tom Coughlin is at a crisis. His job is certainly in jeopardy.”

Tiki has changed his tune. In a video at Yahoo! Sports, Tiki picks Coughlin as the midseason coach of the year.

And now Tiki has jinxed Coughlin and the Giants.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | November 11, 2010 2:47 PM |

no, it's the racist, over and out

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:54 PM |

beep, consider that RI stands as one when it comes to this guy PF, not chia or the others, and you know where I'm coming from

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm loving this whole exchange.

Moms, doosh sandwiches, bums with wi-fi.

This is great.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

It all started cause this little smelly racist thought I was making fun of his list of football players whose names are the same as a kind of food. Oohh, very creative!! I'm gonna start a list too, of people whose mom's have the smelliest c*nts:

Personal_Fowl_Body_Odor
(aka No_Punt_Intended)

Well, I ran outta names, looks like you're the winner!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The O-line has been playing like sh_it lately, is Dockery the common denominator? Dockery played in the 1st four games and the skins gave up 7 sacks. Dockery has not played in the last 4 games and the skins have given up 17 sacks. But old shanny is "HAPPY" with the play of the O-line.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 11, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 11, 2010 2:59 PM |

I'm on board for the switch to dockery

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

And now Tiki has jinxed Coughlin and the Giants.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2010 2:55 PM

Has anyone ever destroyed their good name, marriage and beautiful family, credibility, and projected "can't miss" media career faster and more completely than Tiki Barber? Well, other than O.J. that is.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 11, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 11, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Marv Albert back in the day, but somehow he made a come back........

Posted by: rupertpupkin | November 11, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Donovan McNabb benching opens old wounds concerning Redskins and race "mike wise"

when the headline should read

Mike Wise opens old wounds concerning Redskins and race

what a moron to think the benching of dmcnabb was racist. why do people like wise have a job in the media ?

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 11, 2010 2:59 PM |

I'm on board for the switch to dockery

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Me too.

On another note f*cking someone's mother in a cardboard box is pretty funny.

How about in the backseat of your grocery cart?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 11, 2010 2:59 PM |

I'm on board for the switch to dockery

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign, Corey Licks-inside-her blows, and from all the playing time I'm thinking it's Shanny! Oops, sorry MonteColeman51, couldn't help myself!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

It's RI consensus: Get Dock back in there.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Oops, sorry MonteColeman51, couldn't help myself!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 3:08 PM

Shouldn't that be MColeman511? haha

Well since Dockery is black...and the skins and shanny are racist...I don't see him getting in there any time soon.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Portis might have something to do with the sacks considering he played in the first 4 games and not the last 4.

Dock was a major part of the crappy o-line last year not sure he is much better then whats playing.

Probably wouldn't hurt to put him back in though.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 11, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

The Shannies see Dock in practice every day. Surely they are better able to judge who is best able to help the line perform well.

I used to think that but I don't anymore. Even if he isn't starting, I think at least he should be active for the games.

Posted by: will_ga | November 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

On another note f*cking someone's mother in a cardboard box is pretty funny.

How about in the backseat of your grocery cart?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Naw, we tried but Personal_Fowl_Body_Odor's mom has a big azz and it got stuck in the cart. Like trying to fit 20 lb. of sh*t in a 10 lb. bag, not pretty!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

How about in the backseat of your grocery cart?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:08 PM

Sounds like a good premise...do you have a haiku for that?

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign Flounder

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 3:17 PM |

True we are the only team in the league that is all white, I mean the Broncos didn't add a black player until Shanny was gone.

Mike Wise and Fienstien are idiots the only reason Fienstien has a place to voice his dumb opinions is because he's Tony Kornhiesers boy.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 11, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

It's RI consensus: Get Dock back in there.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:15 PM

Only issue with Dock is that the Skins may loose out in the run game. He's just not a good fit for the scheme Shanny runs. I'd like to see what Cook could do at LG and Kory at C at some point.

Posted by: TWISI | November 11, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

How about in the backseat of your grocery cart?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:08 PM

Sounds like a good premise...do you have a haiku for that?

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Fine German sedan
Bars of steel covered in sweat
You have change to spare.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

How about in the backseat of your grocery cart?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:08 PM

Sounds like a good premise...do you have a haiku for that?

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Personal_Fowl's Mom
Got her azz stuck in the cart
Get the Jaws of Life!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 11, 2010 3:22 PM

I heard shanny drafted Trent Williams, sight unseen, thinking he was white.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Amazing to me how P_F/N_P_I continues to drag peeps into the shallow end of RI. This clown is undefeated at being a d0uchebag.

ITA.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 11, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

If portis can go, we win. If not, loss.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

ITA.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 11, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll try and take that advice. BTW, it's now ITN = Ignore The NERD!
PlayAction, I thought you were supposed to send out the memo?

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

ITA.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 11, 2010 3:28 PM |

it's tough being human diesel

I agree, ITA

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Cook in there too. The young rookies have done more than the vets this year in providing a spark.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

iH8 = Haiku Man?!

Awesmoe!

Thinking he was gone
we all need some levity
or at least deep thought

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 11, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

How about in the backseat of your grocery cart?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:08 PM

Sounds like a good premise...do you have a haiku for that?

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Fine German sedan
Bars of steel covered in sweat
You have change to spare.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:25 PM

Personal_Fowl's Mom
Got her azz stuck in the cart
Get the Jaws of Life!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 3:25 PM

Haha...five minute haiku...Bravo!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling the bye week has given them a chance to look closely at everyone.

What I like is that the Shanny's aren't afraid to shut you down.

I'm willing to bet we see a new face or two against Philly.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

PlayAction, I thought you were supposed to send out the memo?

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 3:30 PM

Not with hess in the room monk! Come on!

ITN isn't for everybody...

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

What I like is that the Shanny's aren't afraid to shut you down.

with Mike S saying that Kory was playing very very well, not sure I agree with you....

with JGalloway/RWilliams giving the team nothing for 8 games, not sure I agree wiht you...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 11, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

portis factor too

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

hessone -- started reading the Mike Wise article and wanted to throw up. Racism? Really? What BS.

You want to call George Preston Marshall a racist, be my guest. There is an ugly history. But it is, at this point, ancient history.

I've offered plenty of criticisms of Shanahan, Snyder and Cerrato, among others. But racism? Not a chance.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

You gotta dress Dock for him to even play. Last games he hasn't even been in uniform.
Something has got to give with this oline, Dmac is getting killed and wont hold up. And we have all seen the next in line if he goes down.
Its evident that Shanny is head over heels for Lichtenschizer, so at least put him in at center where is is listed as backup, this gets Rabach off the field. Activate Dockery at least for your QBs sack, Dmac is more important to this team then getting the run game going. And either weay I dont believe that the run game grinds to a halt just beacuse of Dockery, not that its rolling anyways.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 11, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

when the headline should read

Mike Wise opens old wounds concerning Redskins and race

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 3:06 PM
-----------------------------------------
Yeah, let's follow the logic here:

Shanahan approves a trade where the Redskins give up two draft picks to get McNabb. The coach's job is dependent on how well his team does (see Wade Phillips for further clarification if needed). The coach traded for and coached McNabb so he could bench him in favor of a white guy after seven games into the season?

Now, I don't understand all of the reasons that Shanahan had to bench the guy, but racism? I suppose they are saying Andy Reid is a racist for benching McNabb a few times, too.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

And i agree that a lot of the Sack increase goes to CP26 absence. especially since so many of the sacks are coming from right up the middle. Where a healthy CP to be playing some Ds wont even send that blitz as it gets eaten up most times.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 11, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

What I like is that the Shanny's aren't afraid to shut you down.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I see your point, but how much of R. Williams have you seen?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

F Colin Cowherd.

Wait to you hear his latest comments on John Wall.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 11, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

too much...lots of changes need to be made...Monday to me, is going to be a very telling game...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | November 11, 2010 3:52 PM
------------------------------------------
If you think McNabb has seen his sacks increase that is nothing compared to the sack increase CP ha seen with this groin injury...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

F Colin Cowherd.

Wait to you hear his latest comments on John Wall.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 11, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is definition of a hater.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 11, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Monday to me, is going to be a very telling game...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2010 3:58 PM

And the best part is you get to watch it!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2010 3:58 PM
------------------------------------------
Absolutely. I think it is safe to say that Shanahan puts a little more emphasis on these division games. I mean, last time they played Philly he rolled out Brandon Banks to return punts and had him in for one or two offensive plays. So, with the adjustments that they would have made regardless who they were playing, plus the tweaks they will make especially for Philly, I think we will see a lot of different stuff.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I figure we may see him for about three plays -- before he taps himself out, and hobbles back to the sidelines with some sort of mysterious injury.

Dude is known as a "gamer" -- but these days the play from Portis involves more mind games than football games.

Sort of like last season, when he inexplicably dived into a mound of opposing players -- and without so much as a bump to the noggin, suffered his season-ending "concussion."

See ya!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis got bigger issues to worry about. As long as he knocks out Iggles players and produces, like he has consistently against this team since 2004, I'm good....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Not to blame the victim or anything...but if you're still listening to Colin Cowherd you: a) deserve the goofy opinions he offers up as wisdom. b) are part of the problem because it's audience that keeps him on the air.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 11, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse