Clinton Portis says he will accept any role when he returns

Veteran running back Clinton Portis will accept whatever role he is asked to play, even if he must serve as Ryan Torain's backup, if he returns this season from a severe groin injury, Portis said Tuesday during a radio interview.

During his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan's The Mike Wise Show with Holden Kushner, Portis said he still has no timetable for his return. Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan has declined to commit to Portis beyond saying he would be given a chance to contribute, and the nine-year veteran has been around long enough to understand how things work.

"I mean, there's no guarantees in life, man," Portis said. "I think what I need to do is go out and be able to help this team however I can. I think that's a decision for them to make. And when they make the decision, I still got to come to work and I still got to get the job done."

During his Monday news conference, Shanahan ruled out Portis from the upcoming game against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. The Redskins begin their bye week after the game.

Shanahan hopes that Portis, who will continue to undergo treatment during the break, will be well enough to return to the lineup when the Redskins resume their schedule Nov. 15 against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field.

Portis would "really love to be back for that game" against Philadelphia, he said. "That's a big divisional rivalry for us. That's gonna be a big game. So if I could be back on the field for that game it would be great."

Whenever Portis does return, however, he has no assurances of regaining his starting job.

"We are going to play the best players and the people we think give us the best chance to win," Shanahan said Monday. "A big part of that goes to how somebody practices and we see where they are at when the game comes. It doesn't matter what
position they are at -- offense, defense or special teams. We evaluate them during the week and play the guy we think gives us the best chance to win."

The backfield is big enough for Portis and Torain, Portis said.

"He's a hard runner, downhill, and that's gonna provide a lot for us," Portis said. "With the [New York] Giants last night [against the Dallas Cowboys], you sit and watch the combination of [Ahmad] Bradshaw and [Brandon] Jacobs, and I'm sure me and Ryan can work at the same time."

In an effort to best help the team, Portis wants to be fully healed when he returns.

"I want to get back soon," he said. "I really feel like they [the team] giving me the opportunity to fully heal, and be able to come back down the stretch run and help this team."

On Oct. 6, Shanahan announced Portis would miss four to six weeks with a third-degree separation of his left groin. Portis suffered the injury during the third quarter of a 17-12 victory at Philadelphia, a game in which he rushed for 55 yards.

For the second time in as many games, Torain rushed for at least 100 yards Sunday while helping the Redskins hold off the Chicago Bears, 17-14, at Soldier Field. Torain gained 125 yards (with a 6.0-yard average) and the Redskins' offense (308 total net yards) overcame another shaky overall performance from quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Torain ran hard again and became the first Redskins running back with consecutive 100-yard games since Portis did it in October 2008. Moreover, Torain's blocking on blitz pick-ups has improved considerably.

"I think he is making some strides," Shanahan told reporters the other day. "It is tough being a running back. You ask people to run but you are not really comfortable picking up base blitzes and nickel blitzes.

"He has come in without a lot of playing time and he has been in situations where he hasn't had a lot of reps. Getting a chance to play, getting a chance to get a lot more reps in practice, he should start to feel more comfortable in it and he should have a lot more success."

By Jason Reid  | October 26, 2010; 10:41 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis, Ryan Torain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Football Insider Live: Bears recap, Lions preview
Next: Donovan McNabb: Offense can play better

Comments

some more cowboy misery !

Cowlishaw: 1-5 Cowboys should start looking to NFL Draft
02:02 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hippster1985
9:20 AM on October 26, 2010

I'm posting this in hope that it will reach Jerry Jones:

Two tickets to the WORLD SERIES : $150 + Tax
Two tickets to the Cowboys VS Redskins regular season game: $298 + Tax

get the picture?

I'm a cowboys fan through and through, but it's time you start sharing your cake Jerry.

------------

GLMCB
8:57 AM on October 26, 2010

My 12 year old grandson can spell coach and football. Think hewould qualify for a head coach job with the boys. Bunch of over paid prima donnas anyway. All coaches need to go. Can i get into the Rangers game with my cowboys tickets? Just a thought.

--------------

dallasphanflorida
7:34 AM on October 26, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore dallasphanflorida. Show DetailsHide Details

After watching Jacobs run for his TD with NO one interested in attempting to tackle him , I WENT TO BED AND TURNED OFF MY TV FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME WATCHING THE COWBOYS!! What do you think of that MR. JONES?

OUCH, do something jerry !!!

-------------

bluestar
6:56 AM on October 26, 2010

Jerry Jones wants credit for the team he puts on the field? OK Jerry, Congratulations for making the Cowboys a laughing stock.

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

oh boy, with that contract you are so done!

Posted by: iubiquity | October 26, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry Clinton, Shanahan will probably take your stumbling over Torain's fumbling.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 26, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"Clinton Portis says he will accept any role when he returns"

Hope you like blocking fullback...

Seriously, Pred...do you expect to have a RB that NEVER fumbles? Because that guy doesn't exist. It's not like Torain went all Adrian Peterson in the NFC Championship game...he had a couple Bears defenders punch at the ball in lieu of actually tackling him and we only lost one of 'em. It was more great defensive play than reckless offensive play.

Personally, I'll take the guy who can go for 100 yards in a game over the guy that can't get 100 yards if you give him 4 games to do it. C'mon son...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm starting to really like the idea of Portis as a 3rd down back. His blocking is obviously first rate, and with him in there we have the ability to audible into a run based in the D on 3rd and two/three type situations.

It'll keep the D off balance while giving us more options at the LOS.

Posted by: Devo2 | October 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I think we are the best 1-5 team in the league!

Signed,
Wade Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Clinton. But the 'Skins don't need a 3rd down back at your salary.

I would be happy to have you back once you're healthy enough to pick up a blitz or catch a ball out of the backfield but the ATV is doing more than a fine job at this point in his career for the league minimum.

Dude trucks people and pops 20-yard runs at a higher ratio this year than about any other back in the league.

Not saying the ATV is a pro-bowler...yet....but the dude is as promising as any young back (clearly not counting his early time in Denver when he was injured)in the NFL.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 26, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Well this just proves Portis is no dummy he'll come back and he'll be very helpfull to this team as the season rolls on there is no doubt that if healthy Portis will an intergal part of this squad's playoff push.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 26, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I think we are the best 1-5 team in the league!

Signed,
Wade Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:25 AM

Have they denied being 1 and 5 yet?

Oh and can you please tell hess enough of these dallas blog copy and paste posts today...I can't tell him because he ITA me.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Lavar has lost his head! wow! he just became a story!!! saying that the games are fixed because of the way NFL hires coaches, "recievers MAKE THEMSELVES defenseless"...WTF!!! lost any respect that was left for the dude...

watch the show...someone post the link

Posted by: dealer1 | October 26, 2010 11:25 AM

Posted by: dealer1 | October 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I think we are the best 1-5 team in the league!

Signed,
Wade Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I think we are the best and most talented team in the NFL. We just happen to be 1-5.

Yours truly,

Jerry Jones

Posted by: Devo2 | October 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

PAMPATEX WHERE ARE YOU???

Another bandwagon Cowboy fan.

Hope you still are getting use out of that Cowboys Starter jacket you bought when you became a fan in the early 90s.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Clinton + Torain >>>>> Torain + K. Williams.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

bluestar
6:56 AM on October 26, 2010

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Is this the BlueStarOintment that comes on here and busts our balls??? Wow, you can almost close your eyes and picture him crying while he is typing this!

Is it sad that I'm getting this much enjoyment out of their misery? Oh well, f*ck it!

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

No worries though...he'll be a Redskin for only 9 more games...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 11:08 AM

I'm surprised you feel this way Brown. I hope Carlos is back next year with a mutually beneficial contract in hand. Outside of bad hands...what don't you like about him?

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 26, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"recievers MAKE THEMSELVES defenseless"...WTF!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 26, 2010 11:28 AM

Not going to watch the show...but I kind of agree with this at face value.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Clinton. But the 'Skins don't need a 3rd down back at your salary.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 26, 2010 11:26 AM
_______________________________

At this point in the season what does either of their salaries have to do with anything. Portis' salary is guaranteed, so cutting him makes no sense since you have to pay him. The fact that Torain makes the minimum is irrelevant as well. The best guy plays. As Reid or anyone on here knows, Shanahan is not going to tell you a personel decision until the first play of the game, he just doesn't, so trying to read into whether Portis will start when he comes back is silly. Torain does things well and other things not so well. Same with Portis. Together, they could be a solid 1-2 punch....a good problem to have, but what salary has to do with it is beyond me.

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | October 26, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Not sure it'll work coming from me, I think I annoy him with all of my NERD talk, but here goes: Hey hess, can you leave the cutting and pasting to the RI staff and stop with the Dallas troll blog updates! I kinda like it, all the Cowpies being miserable and crying and whining and all, but SOME PEOPLE don't like it, thanks!

That good?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I hope Carlos is back next year with a veteran minimum, with 500k in bonus money contract in hand

fixed it for ya...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

CP over Keiland Williams on passing downs is an improvement. I like the three of them active on game day with Torain as the feature back, CP as third down back and KW coming in to spell Torain and some situational plays. Frankly, CP can help down the stretch this season, but I am pretty sure he won't be around next season...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 26, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Portis went on to say he would support any friend, oppose any foe, and paint any car any color for $29.95.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 26, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 26, 2010 11:31 AM

Agree, especially with the limited # of draft picks we have. Letting CR22 walk would create another hole needing to be filled. We have enough needs without creating more.

The question is, does CR22 want to be here?

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 26, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

That good?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:37 AM

Oh brother...not he is going to ITA you...and then un-ITA you...then ITA you...then un-ITA you...then ITA you...you're in for it now monk! I LOVE the Dallas misery too...I just HATE scrolling for 20 minutes!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

hey tampax, read

Romo9Love
6:27 AM on October 26, 2010

The Dallas Cowboys quit, plain and simple. They are the most heartless, gutless, dumbest, non-accountable collection of managers, coaches, and players that I have ever seen in any sport. They do not deserve my money, time, or support. I hope they all have a great time hosting the Redskins, Giants, or Eagles in the Super Bowl. LOSERS!!!!QUITTERS!!!!BIATCHES!!!!!

---------

RLH
6:11 AM on October 26, 2010

Overhyped, Undertalented, Outcoached with little to no playmakers.........The 2010 Dallas Cowboys.

---------

Mig
3:59 AM on October 26, 2010

Dear Owner: Please fire your GM. Thanks !

---------

Texastee10
3:00 AM on October 26, 2010

Jerry at seasons end - "The Dallas Cowboys are going in a new direction. We'd like to thank Wade Phillips for all he's done...blah, blah, blah". Barrel of puke number ___. If it's true (and it ain't) Dallas Cowboys are America's Team, then America SUCKS! The Cowboys were never America's Team, they were always American's blowhards. Then again, "anyone can coach the Dallas Cowboys". This is a fact because Jerry Jones said it, don't look at the man behind the curtain. Jerry's a real inspiration walking the sidelines, so which player (there can't be many) who are thinking, "Just what is he doing here?" Jerry's trying to sell ice to Eskimo's in Alaska, in January. On an optimistic note, they kept the penalties to less than 10. Do the Cowboy's play the Bills this year? 1-5 Cowboys vs 0-6 Bills - "Battle of the Titans". A lockout is the best thing that could happen next year for the Cowboys, they won't suck. Jacksonville and Detroit are licking their chops. Thanksgiving Day - New Orleans coming to town - eat early, hopefully it's digested before the game starts, if not there will be a lot of puking going around. Well, at least Romo has ONE post season win.

-----------

tampax, it's time for you to do your penance

he-he-he

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

fixed it for ya...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Like it or not 'Los gets paid more than the vet minimum.

All the hate for Carlos needs to be redirected at Reed Doughty.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 26, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I would like to see CP26 on the field again. I hope he does come back after the off week.

Posted by: fat_back | October 26, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | October 26, 2010 11:35 AM |

Dude, that's a given - I get it and I got it when writing what I wrote. The money does have a lot to do with why you stick with ATV as opposed to shelving him when CP is healthy enough to fall into the LOS again. Torain is getting invaluable reps as the starter and there's no way in hell Shanny is going to hinder that just because CP will be able to play in a couple/few weeks.

Next, when did I ever mention cutting CP? It's clear by back to back 100 yard efforts that Torain is the far better play versus the 'healthy' CP we saw at the beginning of the season. When you take into account that realistically CP is now a 3rd down back at best (aside from an occasional draw or something), his contract is going to make him expendable.

So, when you say that $ has nothing to do with anything this year, you're completely wrong. If you operate under the axiom "the answer to 99 out of 100 questions is money", you'll see that cash rules everything football.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 26, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

HB Blades
Phillip Buchanon
Chris Horton

Did I miss anyone?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 26, 2010 11:31 AM

His hands aside, he's got delusions of grandeur...remember in the offseason when he and Rocky were b*tching and moaning about how they thought they should get long term, big money deals instead of the restricted FA tenders? And how they stayed away from the offseason program in "protest"? Guys with mediocre play on a 4-12 team should just be glad to have work instead of whining about their already over-inflated paychecks. They came back and have been good soliders since, so much respect for that...but I gotta see more from him both on and off the field to warrant bringing him back at ANY price.

Don't get me wrong...I don't hate the guy. I just think he's gonna price himself out of a job...and I also think we can do better.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

please stay at the dallas blog you are copying these from.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 26, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

brown agreed on CR....I'd agree to an incentive laden deal with him....if he gets more than 5 interceptions he'll get a 10 million dollar bonus....less than 5, and he gets vet minimum, no bonus..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:47 AM

Hessone

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Check out this gem from Dallas Morning News:

kwh1961
9:43 AM on October 26, 2010

"If we are going to have a high draft pick let's pray that Jerry doesn't waste it on an offensive lineman thinking this team is anywhere close to super bowl caliber. It is time to circle the wagons and take moves toward the future and the first place to start is at quarterback. No knock on Romo, but by the time the Cowboys have assembled a super bowl team around him, his better days will be behind him."

Hahaha! Let's hope JJ heeds this advice! If he does, we can circle two easy wins on the Redskins' schedule for YEARS to come!!!

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 26, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

please stay at the dallas blog you are copying these from.

co-sign

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

please stay at the dallas blog you are copying these from.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 26, 2010 11:50 AM |

Agreed. I haven't read one and the guys you are directing them towards pampa, Mr. Irvin, etc are the same troll. It's a regular that finds it funny swim in the shallow end of the RI pool.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 26, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Phillip Buchanon
Chris Horton

Did I miss anyone?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:47 AM

Hessone

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

See, and you wonder why he ITA!

How did all that start anyway?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Did I miss anyone?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:47 AM

Haynesworth: He's due to make 5.3 mil (non-guaranteed) next year and he's on the record as saying he'll train on his own and miss OTAs like he did this year.

Hopefully he plays like he did last week and we can trade him for a 2nd or 3rd.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 26, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's another gem from Dallas Morning News for Irvin and PampaTex-

kwh1961
9:43 AM on October 26, 2010

Hopefully, JJ will heed this sage advice. If he does, the Skins can circle 2 easy wins on their schedule for years to come.

HAIL!!!!

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

You could offer him a million-billion-gajillion dollars and it won't matter. You could put his nuts in a vice and say 'catch the next ball or you'll see my version of The Nut Cracker' and he'd still drop it. Let's face it, some guys just can't catch a ball, and he's their leader!

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

We get beat up like the supporting actress in a lifetime movie.

Jennifer Love Hewitt: Why are you hitting me?

Moe: Aren't you a psychic?

You should know without me saying.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

portis isn't going to have a ton of suitors once he's released in the offseason, we might be able to bring him back at a cheaper price, and he def loves shanny so he could want to come back, and i think we should def consider that option.

all those saying he'd be a great 3rd down back, i agree, with his blocking and ability to run, and by staying fresh since he's only there on 3rd downs, he could be a huge help.

obviously it'd have to be at the right price

Posted by: hb_321 | October 26, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1

please stay in boston

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 26, 2010 11:46 AM
______________________
Personally, I don't think its "clear" that Torain is the better back and Portis has been dealing with his wrist injury since the preseason, so he hasn't been "healthy". That said, Torain does a great job of putting his foot in the ground and hitting the cutback lane and also running with power when he gets going downline. He can't get to the corner though on outside runs, something Portis can still do. 2 100 yd games, against the Bears and Colts defenses don't make a season. Torain has a history of injury which is a result of his straight up running style, he just leaves too much exposed to hard hits and this causes him to wear down quickly, the direct cause of his red zone fumble. When Portis comes back I think Shanny works them both in and would be happy with that.

Your comment about money is spot on except that this is not a capped year and right now we're not having football next year, and if we do, it'll be a whole different salary structure. So you play to win now and not worry about your money in the future, especially when you don't know what the future is. Both backs in tandem make you better NOW!

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | October 26, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

While I admit I love the one from the fan who thinks Jerrah's gonna share his cake now!

Ahahahahhahahaha...

Fact: the Dallas turd-pies suck.

Fact: even their inbred fan base gets that at 1-5.

So let's move on now, Hess!

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 26, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I think the posts from DMN are funny, especially since they sound just like comments from some certain WaPo readers.

I like how they will defend the players "talent" to the death, using the ineptitude of the head coach as their excuse.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 26, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Look at this pic. I found it on a Vikings blog. It's very, very funny

Posted by: roccoskins | October 26, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Here's another gem from Dallas Morning News for Irvin and PampaTex-

kwh1961
9:43 AM on October 26, 2010

HAIL!!!!

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 26, 2010 12:02 PM |

now guys, beantown and diesel run the show here, so stop posting cowboy hate on the board, else you'll upset them

HTTR !

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Redskin's meteor last night was named Michael Boley...LOVE THAT GUY!!!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 26, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

obviously it'd have to be at the right price

Posted by: hb_321 | October 26, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

If his pride and ego could withstand it, I think it is an awesome idea. We could resign him to a lesser deal, he could be the main 3rd down back and occasionally get some touches. This could prolong his career, kinda like some Corners switch to FS to extend their careers. It makes sense, and he's saying all of the right things for now, but will his tune change when it's time to take a lesser role?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

My gut tells me Portis will come back in as the 3rd down back and a 4th Quarter, ball security back.

CP has skills RTV still lacks and if we are getting him 10 touches a game still than I think we will get a lot out of him. Power blocking and ball security, CP has that.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Diesel44

Hopefully, he (AH) plays like he did last week and we can trade him for a 2nd or 3rd.

A 3rd or 4th is more like it as the 2nd would've come prior to the antics he engaged in this past offseason.

Teams now know what he will and won't do, and might pass on an older player who doesn't want to be in camp in April thru June.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Redskin's meteor last night was named Michael Boley...LOVE THAT GUY!!!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 26, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

So let's move on now, Hess!

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 26, 2010 12:05 PM |

I hear the public and we'll move on !

f u c k dallas

HB Blades
Phillip Buchanon
Chris Horton

Did I miss anyone?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:47 AM
------------------------------------------
I think you're pretty much spot on with your list. I'm a little on the fence with Sellers, Blades and Heyer and I think those guys' jobs are linked closely to the development of the players behind and in front of them.

Young could very easily steal Sellers' job, but we haven't seen Young play enough to really know for sure. Remember, the guy was a linebacker last year, so he doesn't have a lot of experience at fullback.

Henson is back next year and I am sure there will be a crop of linebackers coming in for auditions. I think it is pretty much a given with a 3-4 defense that you have a steady flow of linebacker auditions from season to season.

Heyer has surprised me. I didn't think he would make it past the preseason and instead he gets plugged in a lot. The truth is a seasoned tackle is someone you just don't part with. Of the three, I think he is the most likely one to stay.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 26, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys are sinking so fast that now they are known as "South America's Team!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 26, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

How did all that start anyway?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:55 AM

Idk monk...ask him...he likes me...has an itchy ITA finger is all.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

hessone, congrats on reaching consensus ITA status.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 26, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

No doubt in my mind JJ goes QB in the upcoming draft...

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 26, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

please stay at the dallas blog you are copying these from.

co-sign

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 11:54 AM

co-co-sign.

I'm glad the Wicked Witch is dead too, but enough is enough...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 26, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Count me in as someone else who doesn't care if he can catch. He's a great cover corner and that's hard to find. Let DHall catch the picks. He's a better returner anyway. Let's not get greedy here. Most folks would kill to have our secondary. Let's resign Carlos and worry about other positions. I'd much rather spend money and draft picks on o-line, rb, and lb than to worry about a cover corner that can't catch. Besides, if he's doing his job correctly they shouldn't even be throwing his way.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 26, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 26, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I agree with you too. Sellers has been playing a little better, and if they keep him it might mainly be to play special teams cause the dude can at least still hit.
I'm thinking we cut Blades because of Henson and Riley, and whoever else we bring in this next year, he'll just be the odd man out.
Trent Williams and Jamaal Brown should be better next year, and if we get a better starter at RG then Hicks can be moved back to backing up both T positions like the plan was at the beginning of this year. Heyer is definately on the bubble.

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

hessone, congrats on reaching consensus ITA status.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 26, 2010 12:16 PM

Actually, Hess might be the first guy to get it twice...first time was when he was ranting endlessly about "$nyder" and got a little credibility back when he started to lightly sip on the Kool-Aid. If this Dallas obsession gets him ITA again, that might very well be a first up here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@Beantown-

People need to stop beating up on Carlos Rogers. He's a solid defensive back the way he is. Not spectacular, but certainly acceptable.

Even in losses, the Redskins have been winning the turnover battle. In the Colts' game, they had 3 takeaways vs. 1 for the Colts. That SHOULD have been enough to win without interceptions from Moore and Rogers.

This team has bigger problems than Carlos Rogers' hands.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

How did all that start anyway?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 11:55 AM

Idk monk...ask him...he likes me...has an itchy ITA finger is all.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to bother him, he seems too busy cutting and pasting today. Maybe the WAPO RI will offer him a job?

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I also don't see Heyer going anywhere. I think we are too limited in our draft picks to let anyone halfway decent walk. I actually like Heyer. I think he's just as good as he needs to be to be a backup. If he was any better then he'd be a starter.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 26, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Fact: the Dallas turd-pies suck.

Fact: even their inbred fan base gets that at 1-5.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 26, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your input, Dwight! How is your beet harvest going, by the way?

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 26, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys are sinking so fast that now they are known as "South America's Team!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 26, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Very funny! I wonder if they hit rock bottom by the end of the year and are now "Antartica's Team"!

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

jboog, agreed on more problems than los, but he's gonna want top of the line money, and I just don't see the return on investment....small bonus, and minimum salary should do the trick

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 26, 2010 12:20 PM

Not necessarily...if the worst case scenario is an incomplete pass instead of a pick 6, that changes that whole mindset. Carlos may be good, but he's not "Shutdown" good. You'll take more chances with that guy since you know he's not catching it.

Look, nobody's saying "get rid of Carlos"...just that it would be stupid to give him big money. At a hometown discount rate, nobody would be mad about having him back. But if he wants top dollar, I say let him go to the FA market and find out just what the going rate for a corner with no hands is...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

watch the show...someone post the link

Posted by: dealer1 | October 26, 2010 11:25 AM

Yeah, not sure where he was going there. If you pause the video at 18:58 Steinberg's reaction is priceless.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 26, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Got a good laugh out of this.

"Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress on Monday accused the New England Patriots of stealing defensive signals back in 2006 and relaying them to Tom Brady."

What the f is Childress doing?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 26, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

hessone, they are cowards. don't expect them to make an appearance and eat crow. bunch of cowardboys.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 26, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Skins need Portis back for the Giants... those guys have been knocking QBs out all year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 26, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

hey does anyone know whow compensatory picks work???

My understanding is if an UFA from your team signs with another team you get a draft choice????

If so I say let rocky walk, resign carlos for a 3 yr deal.

I don't see anyone else in the league wanting rogers....

Also champ bailey is on the market this yr, skins fans miss him n we know shanny likes him, he practically stole him from us

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 26, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Dallas hangs on to Wade Phillips during the dying days of the Zorn Experiment, and we grab a HOF coach off the open market without any bidding war with Jerry Jones. That's some great dumb luck.

Fast forward to the present -- Dallas, the unanimous preseason Super Bowl favorite, is 1-5, and the lowly Redskins, preseason bottom dwellers, are 4-3 and fighting for first place in the division. Think about how different things could have been if Jerruh had hired Shanahan. For all those who question whether Shanahan is making a difference, just imagine what the scenario would have looked like with Shanahan down in Dallas.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 26, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

has an itchy ITA finger is all.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 12:15 PM
--------------------------------------
that's funny...one question...can he ITA that itch?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 26, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm pro - Carlos because he's a very solid CB, the problem is his hands are rock solid.

The new philosophy is TURNOVERS and I'm guessing they can live some spotty play at CB if said CB catches everything and the ball always magically ends up in their hands.

I'd keep Los but the money has to be right, no way he should fetch top 15 CB money (even tho he's in the discussion as a top 15 CB).

Gotta find a way to get Buchanan off the field, surprised Barnes isn't pushing him in practice.

CB is a need via FA or Draft.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 26, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Brandon, I'm already on record saying that Champ will be back here next season. Just makes too much sense...

Not sure about compensatory picks chapter and verse, but it all depends on how productive your lost FA was, how much they got from the new team, etc...most likely, a guy like Rogers and/or Rocky wouldn't yield more than about 4th or 5th round pick...and that's if those guys are productive. Probably better off keeping them if the price is right...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

If so I say let rocky walk, resign carlos for a 3 yr deal.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 26, 2010 12:35 PM

Rocky is having a very solid year and has been a solid player for the Skins over the last three years. He is getting better at ILB and creating another need by letting him go is insane.

Like CR22, the question is, does Rocky want to come back next year?

both need to be signed to incentive laden contracts, but definitely need to sign both.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 26, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

CB is a need via FA or Draft.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 26, 2010 12:41 PM

See if this depth chart does anything for ya:

CB-Champ Bailey
CB-DHall
Nickel CB-Rogers
FS-Moore
SS-Landry

Oh yeah...me likey...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

good call brown

I think our cbs should be rogers, dhall, n champ bailey

In the nfl having 3 starting caliber cbs in needed nowadays

Look at the wr talent in our division alone

D jackson, j maclin, h nicks, s smith, I won't mention cowpukes, they got the most talent with the least brain power

I say rocky mac gets feeleres from other teams n we either match them or take the pick. Rogers should stay but I do think he will want a lot of money

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 26, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 26, 2010 12:20 PM

Playing pro sports is not like driving a bus, picking up garbage, or running a cash register.

If McNabb did his job "correctly", by your standards, he would be 30 for 30, throwing for 6 TDs in every game. Sometimes, your opponent is going to do his "job" and beat you.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 26, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 12:26 PM

He'll need to brush up on his Haynesworth copy and paste skills...Cowboy bashing copy/pastes won't cut it at RI Headquarters.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

When Dockery left a couple years ago for Buffalo we got a 3rd for him, so I bet we'd get a 3rd for Rogers, and maybe a high 4th for McIntosh. However, I don't think either man is going anywhere. They'll be locked-up to long term deals, hopefully with some value.

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

CP has the highest yards per catch of our backs and is the best blocker on blitz pick up. I sure would like to see him in on 3rd downs.

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 26, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice that the bears were punching at the ball trying to get it out. I think that caused a few of the fumbles

Posted by: wattsicon | October 26, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

No chance Champ comes back to DC. He'll have is pick of suitors and I bet he ends up in GB opposite C Wood.

GB loves picking up elite CBs on the back 9 of their careers.

We also need a FS. I like Moore's range but he can't tackle, takes terrible angles, and isn't doing the job I thought he was capable of.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 26, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

DMN beeps

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 26, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Dallas is by far the most talented 1-5 team in the NFL right now.

Posted by: wstclair | October 26, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

hey brown check this

D line. Haynesworth, Rookie or FA, carriker

Lbs. LoZo, rookie 1st rnd pick( I'm lookin for quan sturdivant from UNC), fletch, osackpo

Dbs. Bailey, hall, rogers, barnes

Safties. Moore n Landry

What you thinking???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 26, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Don't get confused, you lucky retards.

My Cowboys will STILL win the division and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Romo going down is precisely why Jerry Jones stocked the our team with multiple QBs. Kitna knows the system, has NFL experience and will do what he is paid to do.

Meet you back here on Sunday after the Lions effortlessly spank that azz.

Doggedly,
Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | October 26, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 12:24 PM |

wow brown, you shouldn't hold grudges. sorry guys, having fun. I said I heard the public and I've responded. RI does have it's own government, no doubt. never one to drink kool-aid though

oh, and if you're taking hess seriously ? C'mon

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis says he will accept any role when he returns

The role he will have to accept will be backup.

The Clinton Portis Era is over in D.C..

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

good, portis is important to the team, hate him all u want. but portis and torain make a good combo. keiland williams is a joke, wat has he done? nothing! he dint do anything in college, preseason, or regular season. hes a joke. wish we woulda kept larry johnson over williams

Posted by: skinsfan09 | October 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I was serious wasn't I mack...go get your masturbatory fantasies filled elsewhere, other than keeping tabs on what I post, and writing about me in your diary...mk??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 8:47 AM

Saw this earlier but couldn't reply til now. I got no real beef with you Bean. But sometimes your unique blend of ignorance and arrogance is just too much to resist.

Posted by: mack1 | October 26, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think the redskins are about to get something they haven't had in four years and that is a healthy clinton portis at the end of the season when it matters. Clinton Portis and Ryan Torain will be a great one-two combination and keep both back fresh for the rest of the season. Mcnabb WILL get better, I have faith he will get it together and put on a decent show against the Lions.

Posted by: culprit59 | October 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: culprit59 | October 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Don't get confused, you lucky retards.

Meet you back here on Sunday after the Lions effortlessly spank that azz.

Doggedly,
Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | October 26, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

You're a fraud. No real life Cow-turd fan would write lame gibberish like this. Game over, a-whole.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 26, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

pampa: Giants tried to give you that game and your pathetic a**es still couldn't win. Your defense is the softest defense ever. those were a bunch of girls playing on defense. how does it feel to have your team quit? it must really suck.

listen to your pathetic self, hanging your hats on jon kitna. LOL, i'd rather have rex as a backup than jon kitna. you guys are more delusional than i thought.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 26, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

let him keep believing the girls season is not over, it will just be even funnier when they reach 1-15.

also, roy williams said jon kitna is just as good as tony romo. what does that mean? that is an insult on romo. LOL. he-he-he.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 26, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Those who truly hate Dallas should want them to pick it up and reach 7-9 or 8-8 (just not with those wins coming against the Skins). Just as we had to lose last year in order for the Fan Rebellion to put in place a functional front office/coach, we want Jerry to keep believing he's got all the answers. I'd take another decade of hype-induced slow-burn Cowboy misery over one 1-15 season followed by the installation of a competent GM and, say, Cowher. Think it through, people.

Posted by: minorthread | October 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Of course Portis will accept a back up role. Anything else would mean he's unemployed. Clinton Portis has existed beyond his usable shelf life. Please retire this man, Shanahan.
RBacks are good for maz 3 years. After that, get another one.

Posted by: bestowens | October 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Reply to: minorthread,

So you want Jerry to go through what us Redskins fans have went through for the past 10 years.
We now see that Shanahan is doing some good coaching, in order to pull out these wins. But, he must upgrade at many positions next year. i.e., Portis, Rogers, Lineman and it's time to start grooming a young QB.

Posted by: bestowens | October 26, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

How about them "RAIDERS" !!!!

Posted by: Raidersfan2 | October 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

How about them "RAIDERS" !!!!

Posted by: Raidersfan2 | October 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

How condescending of him. As if he'll be back and as if he'll be offered a role.

One of the neat things about Shanny is that he appears to demand that players earn their time on the field through preparation on the practices field, in the film room and in the team meetings.

I would give CP26 two more weeks -- but if he isn't ready to go by the end of the bye week, the Redskins need to move along, put him on IR and get a runner in there who can help carry the load.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 26, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

and of course it would be nice if Dallas won a couple NFC east games against our rivals

Posted by: JoeT1 | October 26, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

This up and coming Lions game is a "TRAP!!"

The skins will get caught up in it like they did against the RAMS!!!!

Posted by: 70chiponwhite | October 26, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I've noticed that some Philly fans have been pretty classy in wishing Donovan McNabb continued success here with us, as long as they are not playing us.

In the same vein, and without wishing to stir up any controversy, I am glad to see that recently Jason Campbell has had a couple of nice games in Oakland. I like D. McNabb, who seems to be a better fit for our fan base, but I do wish JC well in Oakland.

I am very glad we didn't trade 2 first round draft choices (or LaRon Landry) for Jay Cutler!

I am also happy with Brian Orakpo + Trent Williams instead of Mark Sanchez, although Sanchez would also have been good.

Posted by: supattapone | October 26, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Extra!!Extra!! Cowboys, America's Team are 1-5 and the count down continues!!

(Am Jerry Jones,) I do not approve this message.
Signed.