Clinton Portis says he's unlikely to play Sunday

Updated: 11:29 a.m.

Running back Clinton Portis does not expect to play against the Green Bay Packers because of a groin injury but hopes to return to the Redskins' lineup soon, he said in a radio interview Tuesday.

During his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan's The Mike Wise Show with Holden Kushner, Portis said he had not yet received results of an MRI exam of his groin, which he injured in the Redskins' 17-12 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

Despite repeatedly leaving the game because of the injury, Portis was effective against the Eagles, rushing for 55 yards (with a 5.0-yard average) and catching two passes for 26 yards. While addressing reporters Monday afternoon, Coach Mike Shanahan said that the Redskins "should find something out within the next couple of hours, one way or the other. The MRI will come in and we'll see what happens."

Asked whether he had received the MRI results, however, Portis said he was still "waiting for 'em to come in. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctors now. I did the MRI. Just waiting to hear back from the doctors."

But Portis said he expects to be sidelined for the Week 5 matchup against the Packers at FedEx Field. "I don't think so," he said of playing against the Packers. "I don't think the team would even let me attempt to go and try to play on Sunday."

Portis said this is the first groin injury he has suffered in his career, and he quickly dismissed speculation he could be sidelined for several weeks. "It's bothering me," Portis said. "It's stiff and moving and rolling around; hurt. ... I'll take my time to make sure I'm healed and I'll try to get back out and help my teammates."

A week after Portis stirred criticism for going down without being touched on a 27-yard run against the St. Louis Rams, he was widely praised, including by Shanahan, for running hard against the Eagles.

"I don't worry about my toughness, man," Portis said. "I stand in the hole, week in, week out. D lineman, linebackers, secondary blitzers, or anybody else that's coming through there, and [I] put my head up in there. So I wasn't worried about my toughness."

Young back Ryan Torain, who finished a game-high 70 yards, did an outstanding job, Portis said. "We just fed off one another," he said. "He ran over a safety in the hole. ... He lowered the boom to him. Once you get going, I think the team feed off of that. When Ryan scored that touchdown and made that play, I think that ignited our team."

In his Monday meeting with the media, Coach Mike Shanahan said little about Portis's injury, but in an interview later that day with Comcast SportsNet, he expressed his worries.

"Any time he goes out like he did and puts street clothes on during a game, I'm concerned," Shanahan said. "I know him. I've been around him too long. He's going to play hurt. Hopefully, the MRI is not as bad as I think it might be. Just have to keep our fingers crossed."

Portis had an MRI Monday. But Shanahan he seemed to know on Sunday that something was wrong.

"Usually a guy like that doesn't go out of the game," said Shanahan, who also coached Portis in Denver in 2002-03. "He stays in as long as he can."

We'll have more soon.

By Jason Reid  | October 5, 2010; 11:29 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis, Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Banks, Alexander put the "special" in special teams
Next: RB Ryan Torain appears to be atop the depth chart

Comments

Okay, so what did the MRI show? This is not news. If you go out for a groin pull you are going to be sore. What I want to know is if he tore it and if so, how bad.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"You wouldn't want to get a healthy Portis to at least block on 3rd down? You're nuts"

What's nutty is depending on a 7 million dolla a year running back to block.

Mike Sellars can pass block.

Double tight end sets are what i being used to assist our tackles.

We expected a healthy Portis in place to get yards inthe run game.

Yes: he is a quality blocker.

But with the running game down so far, we need him healthy.

And that doesn't seem to be the case for the second year in a row.

Look: I'd love for Clinton Portis to be in place for a 1300-1500 rush year.

But if he's 'dinged'--again--it's time to move on from what he delivers as a player.

It happens all the time in the NFL.

And eventually, it'll happen here.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

What does a russian space station have to do with CP's groin?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"Before getting injured and missing the last two games of the 2009 season, he was starting to develop and bring his game to the next level. He is a tall receiver with excellent size and strength. He is a long strider who can get vertical because of that, but does not have explosive speed. He is a guy who needs to continue to improve as a route runner if he is going to be able to consistently separate at this level. He is not special after the catch and does not make a lot of yards after the reception. He is good red zone target because of his size. He is still developing and still has very good upside."

This is from Scouts Inc. before the season kicked off. He hasn't seen the field yet at WR save for 2-3 plays. Skins should not give up on this guy. In limited action in the preseason he had a nice 44 yard TD from Grossman, granted against backups, but I didn't see Roydell Williams or Galloway making many explosive plays. Develop the talent you have instead of trading it away for 50 cents on the dollar.

Will a 6th rounder in next year's draft have the same impact he's having on teams right now? BA didn't do too much with this past years late round picks. Doesn't mean he won't going forward, but maybe 3 guys from this past draft are on the team next year.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 5, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"Clinton Portis says he's unlikely to play ever again"

There...fixed it for ya...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

We'll have more soon.

By Jason Reid | October 5, 2010; 10:40 AM ET

Translation: "About 30 minutes after it's reported on every other outlet, and 28 minutes after it's been cut and pasted into RI, we'll confirm what you already know."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

With Joey Galloway and Roydell Williams on pace to combine for 24 catches this season there's just no room for Devin Thomas in the lineup.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 5, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 5, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:12 AM

No doubt...but we know its not official until RI confirms it.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

A couple of random observations:

1. From Petey King of SI:

"Trading for McNabb, I believe, caused the Redskins to not deal for a receiver they very much need. The Redskins had a bare-bones draft last April, with only two picks in the top 170. Their second-, third- and fifth- had been dealt away or used (as in supplemental pick Jeremy Jarmon in the 2009 summer draft), and they weren't going to dump their second-rounder in 2011 and be left with one pick in the first 130 choices next April. Talking to sources in the organization, I learned that the 'Skins want to get away from the quick-fix mentality and start building for the long haul."

Building for the long haul - sounds good to me. Plus what's the deal with this cat Jarmon? Haven't heard diddly about the dude.

2. How big an ass is Troy Barkman? He bad-mouths the officials for what happened at the end of the half in the Eagles game and Andy Reid freely admitted after the game that he had forked up, it was his bad. And Barkman belittled what AH was doing on the field when it were apparent to everyone that Haynie were a force in the game, getting two holding calls, batting down a pass and tackling a dude for a loss.

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Worst case guess is CP is back after the bye week.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:12 AM

LOL...good to see I'm not the only one with an RI-to-English dictionary on hand...

O_e, don't make the DT thing more complicated than it is...Devin Thomas has yet to demonstrate that he's better than Galloway and Williams. If DT can't beat those guys out, that's on him...NOBODY else. If he were better, he'd start. He's not. So he's not. It really is as simple as that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

game plan this week should be to:

get moss some catch's
stop throwing to sellers
get cooley/davis more involved
replace Portis with Williams

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 5, 2010 11:16 AM
------------------------------------------
Ouch.

Seriously, the Redskins need to put Moss in motion and do other things to move him around because defenses are starting to gang up on him. I'm thinking the Redskins could use that to their advantage if they make a few adjustments.

Scary thought of the day: what happens if Moss goes down with an injury?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I still wonder why we don't try Thomas out in the backfield...

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow...PFT ran a link to this old quote Shanahan had for Torain when they were in Denver two years ago:

"He's one of the most gifted running backs I've been around for a long time," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "He is very similar to Terrell Davis when he came in."

Awwww, yeah...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Scary thought of the day: what happens if Moss goes down with an injury?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM

Devin Thomas starts and A STAR IS BORN!!!

Just kidding. We're screwed.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I'll have my agent call to set up a TRY-OUT and PHYSICAL!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 10:46 AM

This is the guy who thinks Art Monk's number is 811? DT can't get playing time because of "short bus issues." Not sure you represent an upgrade.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I explained that before, too much Bud at the Monk School of Arts and typed an extra 1.
Speaking of Bud, we had a few too many, so after the game we waited until our fellow Monk who's an Eagles fan to go to bed, then we put his hand in warm water and he peed on his last clean Monk robe of the week!!! We have so much fun here.......

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Scary thought of the day: what happens if Moss goes down with an injury?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM

DT comes in to save the day?

Posted by: skinswest | October 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:21 AM |

Dude - you and your butt boy peep-peep are getting a little stale aren't you? RI bashing is about as original as etrod.

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Buchanon is the guy who there should be "no more room" for on the Skins roster.

He's been terrible on both punt returns and as a #3 CB.

Here's his stats through four games: one punt return for 1yd; with 3 fair catches and a fumble. Nine tackles and 3 passes defended. Who know how many TDs given up, but the end of regulation during the Houston game comes to mind.

Hard to imagine Barnes or Westbrook would do any worse as a #3 CB...

Besides -- the Skins have to make a roster move to sign another RB -- and I hope they do not try to send Banks down again...

Posted by: siris | October 5, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod

I know it was last year and it was only one game. But you'd think if Devin could get 7 catches in one game the dude could get 24 in a season. I mean, he had 25 catches last season, that's one more than what Ro-Ro and Jo-Jo are on pace for.

There is no need to shop Devin Thomas, if they're still hanging on to Malcolm Kelly.

If it's work ethic, what about Thomas' worth ethic seems suspect? Or is that some sugar coding for "he's just not that bright"?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Scary thought of the day: what happens if Moss goes down with an injury?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM

Shut your mouth. Just sh-sh-shut your mouth. Don't you dare float that into the universe...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I still wonder why we don't try Thomas out in the backfield...

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 11:26 AM

Yeah since he can't play the position we drafted him for, there must be something he's good at or we wouldn't have drafted him.

Best hope is we trade him for pick. He might be good at that.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

stop throwing to sellers
get cooley/davis more involved

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM
------------------------------------------
I noticed they put Cooley in the backfield a few times against Philly. I think having Cooley back there full time would be a waste but I like his hands out of the backfield and it gives them another excuse to have Davis and Cooley on the field at the same time.

Should we be completely sold on Davis this year? He's not made the most of his opportunities. He could have caught that ball Sunday and he has dropped a few others... Paulsen isn't anywhere near as fast as Cooley or Davis, but he is the best blocking tight end they have and is the taller receiver. They should be able to occasionally sneak him out into the flat on short yardage and goal line situations...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 11:31 AM

I would say that sleeping in team meetings says something about his work ethic or lack thereof.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I always feel like we just do eought to win games Re: our lack of innovative offense vs eagles.

Seems to me they want to hold back some of their cards for games when they need them to get a score so it is something their tape doesnt show and the D wont be expecting.

Or maybe i am just optimistic our O cant be that stagnate without the first 15/30 play script.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'll have my agent call to set up a TRY-OUT and PHYSICAL!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 10:46 AM

When you became a monk you took a vow of celibacy. So what are you trying out for? Gardener? Cook?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 11:29 AM

Dude, are you new? I've agreed with beep maybe once every Haley's comet. If you wanna slurp up every morsel of the RI dog chow, that's your business...just don't expect me to not call it how I see it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Awwww, yeah...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:27 AM

I remember that. Which is why I was excited when the skins signed him and confused when they cut him. Hopefully he steps up now with Portis injured and stays healthy. Has Keiland Williams been brought back from the practice squad yet?

Posted by: skinswest | October 5, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Fletcher on EITM

Interesting notes, game plan changed immensely when Vick went out.

They were trying to hit them in the mouth and intimidate.

Good stuff, take a listen

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 5, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 5, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Moe and others are so quick to cutdown Portis, c'mon, man, his value may be down towards average, but like Jeter, you gotta have some human sentimental value there, too. Sure he's on his last lap or 2, but he can still play sparingly and shows flashes..Unless you're a total freakin' robot, you have no sentiment for the back who may be the highest yardage back in Redskin history..Now, go get some moe bonghit..

Posted by: frak | October 5, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

He could have caught that ball Sunday and he has dropped a few others...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:32 AM |

He could have but Crissakes, McN could have just lobbed the ball to the dude instead of making him stretch for it he was so alone. McN needs to do more situational thinking - stay in bounds, soft toss to the wide open WR, etc.

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to see the Dude out there again giving his own injury reports.

Would've hoped that practice would have stopped under new Coach Shanahan -- who seems to have reserved unto himself the right to fill out team injury reports -- at least for the rest of the team.

And especially knowing how frequently Clinton would contradict earlier coaching staff pronouncements on such matters.

All mind games, true... but then again, there are rules for Clinton, and then there are rules for the other 52.

Just saying...

Posted by: Vic1 | October 5, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Scary thought of the day: what happens if Moss goes down with an injury?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:31 AM
-----------------------------------------
I think we'd be running the jumbo formation for the entire game. I hope we hear something about players the Redskins are working out today. I have to believe they are being visited by at least a few running backs. I also think they should be giving Ojinnaka a long look at offensive tackle. Our friends at WaPO are asleep at the wheel again...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Dude, are you new? I've agreed with beep maybe once every Haley's comet.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:37 AM

You're wrong again, brownwood. I'd say every THIRD Haley's comment. Agree to disagree.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Got it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 5, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

... just don't expect me to not call it how I see it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:37 AM |

Even if it has been called more times than the little boy crying "wolf"?

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'll have my agent call to set up a TRY-OUT and PHYSICAL!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 10:46 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

We don't follow that rule, we're a special order of monks, we can talk and have sex and everything! Only those p*ssy monks take a vow of celibacy. But I make up for it by volunteering in the community! This month is breast cancer awareness month, so I go around and give FREE breast exams to the ladies. Anything I can do to give back......

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Got it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 5, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I guess that's what knowing the plays and staying awake in meetings gets you...actual playing time.

Maybe Devin Thomas will understand one day that it's not enough to just be faster than the other guy.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

game plan this week should be to:

get moss some catch's
stop throwing to sellers
get cooley/davis more involved
replace Portis with Williams

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM |

replace Portis with Williams?

or Torain? somebody on the roster? Williams cut! Common now, get your facts right before being an armchair qb!

Posted by: go88car | October 5, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 11:51 AM

Speed doesn't help if you're running in the wrong direction. You can't coach speed and, apparently, with Devin you can't coach anything else either.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Got it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 5, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse
haynesworth said he played better sunday b/c he played more. Shanny said Albert got to play more because he was playing well. Coaches do this type of thing all the time to guys they don't like. You can call Armstrong's number on the same play twice in the red zone vs. the Cowgirls, as if he's shown you anything in the NFL. You can cut Brandon Banks, and a week later call his number twice in the red zone on gimmick plays. But you can't give DT a coupla snaps at WR over Roydell and Joey. it's obvious that Shanny just doesn't want to deal with DT. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I can't wait to see DT succeed on somebody else's roster. Just like B Lloyd never really got a shot under the Gibbs regime and is now one of the tops in the league;Devin Thomas (if traded) will come back to haunt the Redskins.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

After his falling down act in the StL game I guess he do have an injury although I missed seeing the drama behind it like I saw with the Vickowich that DH and KM made at the goal line which was shown over and over by the network. BTW, do you think somebody reamed out the OL guy who got called for holding and nullified the sacrifice the Vick made on the play to set up a TD? On the other hand, when they replayed the incident it did look like a borderline call, didn't it?

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

ElIdiot has officially reached ITA status...

O_e, you have to practice to play. If you suck in practice, it's not an unrealistic assumption that you'll suck in the game. So if Galloway and Williams handle business in practice, they get to be on the field. If they're not that good and they're outworking/outplaying DT, I don't know what makes you think that just throwing DT out there all willy-nilly is gonna magically heal all that ails the offense.

I mean, if you have an orchestra and have a need in the horn section would you just throw in a guy that doesn't know a G-note from a G-string? I don't think so.

skinswest, I haven't heard anything on Williams yet but I'm sure they'll bring him back to the active roster.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: go88car | October 5, 2010 11:52 AM

Beantown is a bold armchair QB. He's gonna cut Buchanon and sign Williams.

Use your imagination. Don't be so literal-minded.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

How many times have you dressed as a gynecologist for Halloween?

Be honest.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Chris Ogbonnaya is a running back on the Texans pratice squad and has been described as a one cut runner with great hands. If I were looking for a running back, this guy would be nice to have on the roster - especially if CP is going to be out for awhile.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"So, Joey and Roydell have earned the right to go in and not produce. It's Devin's job to show that he can go in and be even less productive and until he does that, he sits the bench.

Got it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 5, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Technically speaking, Joey Galloway is still on pace to beat out the production of both of Devin Thomas' season totals. And it's not like Devin Thomas was stashed on the bench his first two seasons.

I'd like to see Thomas out there in the offensive lineup, but it's far from a given that he should be provided the opportunity.

I do think, however, that Roydell Williams should be just about done. Galloway has a useful role, Williams just looks like a wasted body out there.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

you mean like Max Jean Gilles had his hands firmly clenched on the bordeline of AH92's collar while pulling him in the opposite direction of Mike Vick. Yeah I can see that.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

DT for Steve Slaton.

Done and Done

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas (if traded) will come back to haunt the Redskins.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 11:55 AM

You're right...same way that Michael Westbrook, Taylor Jacobs, and Rod Gardner did...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

How many times have you dressed as a gynecologist for Halloween?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 11:58 AM

Great idea...thanks!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

ElIdiot has officially reached ITA status...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:57 AM

He's DEFINED ITA status for several months. He's one of the less-balanced regular's sock puppets.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

How much has Brandon Banks practiced with the skins wide receivers? He was put on the practice squad, waived and then re-signed. I dunno if that necessarily qualifies you to get snaps in the red zone, especially being 5'7" 155lbs. But you are right. Our dynamic wr corps is doing well enough that there's no reason to think about putting DT in for a coupla snaps. God forbid we play him and find out that he's capable of making plays like he did against NO last yr. I know a lot of yall chalk it up as being one game, but if you reall look at it he played more in that game than he'd played in his whole career.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

How many times have you dressed as a gynecologist for Halloween?

Be honest.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, we can't take this stupid robe off. I'm just getting tired of dressing as the same 2 people for Halloween: Friar Tuck and Obiwan Kanobi!
Wait, you're a genius! I could ask the school to start teaching gynecology classes! This way it seems less creepy then just calling it 'volunteer work'!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:04 PM |

Hey brownjuice, why not add Brandon Lloyd's name to your list?

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Drano, the holding call? borderline?? No way - they've been holding up our Ends all season long. We should be getting between 5-10 more holding calls a game. It's criminal.

The only way Vick broke free was BECAUSE of the holding call - that's why it's a penalty.

That disconnect really irks me.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I want to see us do what george allen did, find some RB's with great hands and convert em to wideouts.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

How many times have you dressed as a gynecologist for Halloween?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 11:58 AM

Great idea...thanks!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Pervert!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Reciever, The IS doing well... snark wouldn't apply.

Y'know who would be neat to throw in as a mystery back - Banks! Joe Washington type... hehe. You couldn't work-horse him, obviously. But folks have been clamoring for a 'change of pace' back - and he's just about as much of a change as you could get.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

all those guys were released after several seasons of being either the no.1 or 2 receiver in offenses that were much more pass happy than the offenses DT has played in before this season. All of the guys you named had chances to prove themselves on the field in game situations and were released after they turned out poorly. I don't see Westbrook or Gardner (2 first round top 15 pick busts). I see a guy more like Hakeem Nicks or Mario Manningham of the giants. DT is a big,physical receiver, who can make plays after the catch. I dunno if he falls down on his own in the open field like armstrong did sunday either. DT has shown above decent balance and body control with or without contact.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

We expected a healthy Portis in place to get yards inthe run game.

Yes: he is a quality blocker.

But with the running game down so far, we need him healthy.

POSTED BY: Mista Moe

Don't overly concern yourself with Portis's health. The history of Mike Shanahan proves that you, me, or that guy next to the bar can run successfully in it.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

It's Torain's chance to shine....

Posted by: rachel216 | October 5, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 12:10 PM

Yup. If not for the hold, Haynesworth would have gotten pressure up the middle. Not saying he would have gotten to Vick, but Vick wouldn't have come up the middle. He would have been forced to the outside, in which case there's a high chance of containing him.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 5, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

that guy next to the bar can run successfully in it.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Oops, I've been spotted, time to get back to the monastery. Waitress, 1 more Bud, and the check please......

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

DT for Steve Slaton.

Done and Done

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 12:03 PM
------------------------------------------
That would be a nice trade for us, but what I smell in the wind is the Redskins won't get anything for DT. This Ogbonnaya kid is on the Texans practice squad, so Washington could sign him to their regular roster. The guy played some receiver in college so he could, in theory, line up as a receiver occasionally ala Westbrook. He is 6' and 220, so not a little guy, either.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Pervert!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 12:15 PM

Yep...working on my costume now...can you help me with the sign that says I'm not accepting any ugly nasty fat or old chicks...errrr...I mean patients?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Wow, seriously?

Didn't know Devin Thomas was coppin' Z's in team meetings.... So disappointing to hear. It isn't the most egregious act known to man, but damn.... It's like one of us falling to sleep during orientation, I guess... You're in the dog house before you actually get to work....

Still there has to be something more to it then just him falling to sleep one time during a team meeting. Not buying that if you get caught napping you can't get on the field.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Michael Westbrook, Taylor Jacobs, and Rod Gardner = Unemployed NERDS

I heard their still receiving though. Handouts!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:07 PM

DT against the Saints = Redskins' preseason 50-burner in Osaka

I seriously believe that nobody's gotten more love for ONE regular season game than DT. I mean, if he's that guy then why have we NEVER seen it before or since?

And comparing DT to Banks is laughable...folks up here are aggitating to have DT start and play a prominent role. Banks is a guy they throw in on gimmicky plays to keep a defense off-balance. A two or three play package for a speed guy isn't the same as relying on a guy who can't run routes or block without holding to go out and start games for you at WR.

Look, I wish the DT panned out too. But if a guy who knows a thing or two about offense and what works at WR says DT can't play I'm trusting him on that, especially since this isn't the first coach to hold that opinion.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 |

I dont' think anyone's ever questioned Thomas's balance. He stands upright in the wrong place or runs the wrong route without falling down..

Take off your blinders, please. Hakeem Nicks is a future superstar, Thomas is a future host at Denny's.

Smart football wins, if you can't learn the plays, if you can't beat out 90 year old receivers, if you can't impress as a WR on a team desperate for one--AND you're the physical specimen Thomas is--the problem must lie elsewhere.

I don't know where that is, but the first place I'd look is between his ears.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

That disconnect really irks me.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 12:10 PM |

You are probably right. But it wasn't one of them egregious holds where the DL dude gets jerked backwards. The announcers referred to it as "borderline". They had it in for the Skins all day. They also belittled AH's contribution. But they were right to call out McN for his bonehead run-out-of-bounds play.

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

We could also stop picking wide receivers made of drywall, glass, and cling-free dryer sheets.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 5, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

playing DT only at KR doesn't improve his market value one bit. I dunno too many teams angling for a KR.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I threw Steve Slaton out there because he has become the Texans version of DT.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Dont know how i havent seen this before....

ST21 montage

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 12:24 PM

There is more to it, Red. Go back to the previous thread and read the stuff that Kiam posted. "It isn't personal. Shanahan doesn't think he can play."

There's plenty of tape on this guy from last year -- he started 10 games and didn't do much except for the NO game when NO couldn't field a defensive backfield. Shanahan's given him plenty of chances in practice and in preseason. And, odds are Kyle Shanahan and Keenan McCardell aren't impressed either or they'd convince Shanahan to put him in for a few plays.

The only ones who think he can play are the ones that haven't seen him.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Portis said the injury is "bothering me and it's stiff."
-------

So, no Janky Spanky for a while?

Posted by: 4-12 | October 5, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

prolly cuz he doesn't get on the field much as a WR. I wish football kept stats for minutes played or snaps played per game. I'd bet that DT played more snaps at the X,or Y receiver in that game than any other game he's played with us.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork

There's a difference though.

No one will confuse this O-line, which appears better than the debacle last year, with those VERY good o-lines in Denver.

Posted by: dcwun | October 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I threw Steve Slaton out there because he has become the Texans version of DT.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 12:30 PM
------------------------------------------
I think both players would benefit from the change in scenery. Still, I don't think DT will get traded, but I do think the Redskins need get a little more depth at running back. I thought Simpson was going to be getting his shot, but I think the likely scenario is he pulls kick returning duties when DT either gets traded or cut. A lot depends on what they find out about Portis' status today.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:16 PM

That's the problem a lot of folks run into with DT...they look at him as a physical specimen and fall in love with his tangibles. Unfortunately, it takes a lot more than a great body, great 40 time, and great athleticism to effectively play WR in the NFL. Those things factor in, but the most important thing is knowing where you are and where you're supposed to be on the field. Running crisp, accurate routes. Knowing the soft spot in the zone. Knowing the defender lined up across from you and his tendencies. Knowing how to get separation. Hundreds of guys come into the league with physical prowess similar to DT's and fail miserably because they can't effectively do the things that I just listed.

We don't know if he can or can't do those things. The only way you know is if you see him practice. None of us up here can say that we've seen him do any of those things, so I'm relying on the opinion of the guy who does.

In games last year, he had moments but that was just the problem--they were only moments. He's gotta do it consistently to earn a starting job. Nobody can argue that to date, the only thing he's done consistently is frustrate us all with his ratio of production-to-potential...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't know where that is, but the first place I'd look is between his ears.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Not if you design special packages for guys you sign off waivers. As i said before if you just don't like a guy it's cool and understandable. But don't tell me the kid can't play. I've seen him play.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:25 PM

And don't forget Timmy Smith!

Super Bowl XXII: 202 yards rushing, 2 TDs
NFL Career: 602 yards rushing, 3 TDs

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Would really like to hear the "tell all" story on Devin Thomas once he's traded or released. Not buying the one documented occurrence of his falling to sleep in a team meeting as a reason he can't get on the field.

Hell I'd like to hear form Reid's un-named source on this one. Kyle Shanahan talks to the media about different players, I've never heard him or McCardell mention Devin Thomas. Then there was the time Shanahan said that due to his performance on Special Teams that Thomas "helped his chances" only to see nothing from him on offense.

Not playing the conspiracy theory role, but there is major underlining as to why Devin Thomas isn't starting. If it's his inability to grasp the playbook, then come out and just something along the line of 'he just doesn't get it or understand' enough with the pussyfooting regarding the situation.

Either say whats going on with him, play him, or release him. They're not getting any draft picks for a dude they're letting rot away on the bench.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"Name these All pro shanahan WR's please. Everyteam doesn't have an Ed McCaffery or Shannon Sharp.

Posted by: lilhollywood10

You mean Rod Smith, Javon Walker, Ashley Lelie, Brandon Marshall, and Eddie Royal don't count?

Because he was able to get every one of those receivers above 1,000 yards for at least a season, except Eddie Royal who had 90+ receptions and 900+ yards as a rookie.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

That disconnect really irks me.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 12:10 PM |

Hey, it were far from being the obvious hold Barron applied to Orakpo where he hooked the dude with his arm and got called which rightly nullified the TD that would have won for Dallas. In this case it were less obvious and it weren't a TD, it were a near TD and Vick gave up his rib cartledge on the play.

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I actually support McNabb's running out of bounds play. The guy gets hurt so randomly. Avoiding any contact and not sliding is fine by me.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I threw Steve Slaton out there because he has become the Texans version of DT.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

The bloggas would kill this dude. He's a RB with the hands of Carlos Rogers.

Posted by: dcwun | October 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

But don't tell me the kid can't play. I've seen him play.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:39 PM

So has Mike Shanahan. That's why he's on the bench.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:36 PM

And they never will if they keep around underachieving, high round picks in their places either...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

psps, were you up here comparing Roddy White and Devin Thomas or otherwise advancing the notion through an article that DT develop like Roddy White?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

And don't forget Timmy Smith!

Super Bowl XXII: 202 yards rushing, 2 TDs
NFL Career: 602 yards rushing, 3 TDs

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:39 PM

At least that was a SB...not a regular season LOSS...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Pervert!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 12:15 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I just tell the 'good-looking challenged' people that God only takes the pretty chicks early, that they will live long, healthy, ugly lives! Women are dumb!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

so you can't name any so you're gonna co-out. i never said Shanny didn't know about offense or RBs, but he had issues with B. Marshall before he was Fired in Den. I dunno if he has problems dealing with some oung WRs, but my question was intended for you to answer it with any All pro WRs shanny coached up, not for some snotty run on open ended crock of BS.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

co-sign red...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 12:41 PM

Red, go back and look up the Kiam post. It has the story you're looking for: the coaches don't think DT is a player.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

those guys were all pros???

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"There's plenty of tape on this guy from last year -- he started 10 games and didn't do much except for the NO game when NO couldn't field a defensive backfield." - beep-beep

Agree that he didn't do much in the other games he played in, if nothing at all, but he did put up those numbers against the likes of:

Darren Sharper
Malcolm Jenkins
Roman Harper

So they weren't exactly struggling trying to put a secondary together.

I really don't care which way they go with Thomas st this point. It's clear that he isn't going to EVER see the field with this coaching staff, so what's the point in trying to figure it out anymore?

I don't understand why is he still on the roster. It's week 5, if it is personal and Shanahan doesn't like him, whether it's due to his work ethic or he thinks he's just not that good, he ain't going to by now. If it's because he isn't smart enough to run precise routes or at least the correct ones, he isn't going to by now.

Part ways with the guy and be done with it already.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Red, the quote from Shanahan:

But when asked what Thomas -- who has been used as a kick returner and ranks seventh in the league with an average of 28.4 yards a return -- has to do to get onto the field as a regular contributor, Shanahan bristled.

"We keep on talking about this each week," the coach said. "You've asked me this the last two weeks and I’ll answer the third week the same way. The thing he has to do is be better than the guys in of him, and when he is, he’ll get more playing time."

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

DRano, srry - was away...woik...

Joe initially catagorized it that way, but from the other angle the hold was egregious.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Torrain will be the starting RB by this week. He'll have a good game to supplant CP

118 yds and 2 TDs

McNabb will throw for 300+ yards and a TD to Cooley again

I know everyone will be saying that the Packers will have their way this Sunday but Skins win this again.

Skins 24 Packers 17 Book IT!!!

Posted by: datruth21 | October 5, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 5, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Anything we can do to find a 2nd wideout.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Really? So 100 yards/2 TDs against the Super Bowl champs...can't play in the league?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 5, 2010 12:00 AM

lmg, could you list all of his games, including this year ?

Posted by: hessone | October 5, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Hessone, my point was not that DT is a stud, will be a stud, is even good right now. Beep said he "cannot play in this league". I grant you, one game does not a proven quantity make. But it shows he can play in this league at a high level. That's all I was saying. I'm as disappointed as the next guy in #11.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 5, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Like the talk about Chris Ogbanayya (ex Longhorn) an dpleeze dont even bring no hands/fumble waitin to happen Slaton into any conversation. Chris O was good at pickin up blitzes and as a 3rd down back for Mack Brown. Since I'm down here in Austin, also got to see him at many camps for kids and his attitude is exemplary. Would be nice addtion........IMO

HTTR and quit hatin on CRogers.....he does his job, just can't catch.

Posted by: kirkoman | October 5, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG

As I recall, Beep was saying last week that Banks would be on the inactive and that he couldn't play in the league either. Anyone with open eyes and an open mind can see the athletic talent is there. The problem is DT has the maturity of a high school boy, apparently.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 5, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I never thought of Joe Horn as a mentor (he always seemed more selfish like TO), but if he can get R. White to "see the light" maybe the Skins could hire him and stick him in DT's back pocket.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 5, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Time to get ready for the newest player on the team:

THE AMTRACK ATTACK!

The GRAVY Torain!

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | October 5, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis is finished! Torrain's the future!

Posted by: Jimbo77 | October 5, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

A Portis bye weak.

Posted by: whocares666 | October 5, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

go skins. shanahan is the man. with mcnabb in there they have the best opportunity to suceed. playoffs YES. bowl perhaps.best trade since snead for sonny.anyone disagree? eagles are LOOSERS.

Posted by: pofinpa | October 5, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Shelve or trade CP. He's done.
All he does now is complain or criticize.
Or limp around and throw pity parties.
It's a tired act.

Cut bait and move on.

Posted by: fargincorksucker | October 5, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

P90X Extreme Fitness System ONLY ONLY 42$$$$$$$
sorry to disturb u. just take u a little time.
If you are in need,
welcome to : h t t p : / / w w w . b 2 b j o r d a n s . c o m
50%off ca,ed hardy t-shirt$15 jeans,coach handbag$33,air max90,dunk,polo t-shirt$13,,lacoste t-shirt $13 air jordan for sale,l nba jersy for sale sale,$35,nfl nba jersy for sale
free shipping
accept paypal credit card
lower price fast shippment with higher quality
puma gucci$35,nike jordans six ring,yeezy$%5!!
new era caps$13 gucci handbags jeans,t-shirts sunglass,caps