Clinton Portis says his statements were "the truth"

Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis Tuesday stood behind his controversial comments about female reporters in men's locker rooms, saying in a radio interview that his previous remarks were "the truth."

Toward the end of his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan's "The Mike Wise Show with Holden Kushner," Kushner shared his personal feelings on the controversy and asked Portis whether he had put the situation behind him. In last week's interview, Portis made statements that prompted a rebuke from the NFL and action by the Redskins. Portis spoke with head coach Mike Shanahan about his remarks and issued a statement of apology through the team.

On Tuesday, Portis painted himself as a victim in the situation and was not contrite.

"I think people going always have negativity, man," Portis said. "People wish me ... when people don't wish you the best, there's always something that they gonna find. You know? I think everything that come out of my mouth is the truth. Whether people like it or not, it's always the truth. With the comments that I made that you didn't agree to, they were true. And some people can't stand the truth, and some people do. At the same time that you know me, if you know my sense of humor, you know the way I talk, you know you getting the truth, and you getting the humorous side of me."

Portis had this to say about his previous statements that female reporters would likely "look at 53 men's packages" in NFL locker rooms:

"I don't think it's that serious," Portis said. "I think there's more to life, ah, going on that you can complain about and make the topic of discussion or point out and have and all the talk shows ... besides the stuff that I say out of my mouth. So for the people who don't understand, I'm never throwing anybody under the bus or I'm never bashing anybody. I think I tell the truth. I speak from the heart and it's up to you to assess it. If you really don't want to hear me talk, then you can always tune out of this station or tune out of my interview.

"If you see me come across, just turn the TV off or turn the radio off. You don't have to listen. I think every day is going to be topic for headlines that, somehow, some way, they gonna take my quote and put it into a context that I didn't say it in. I think if people would have listened to that whole interview, they would have seen I didn't say anything about the woman reporter and I never ... I just was speaking in general about reporters in the locker room. So, I mean, that's over and done with. And for myself, I just won't comment on matters that I don't know anything about. And I'm going to continue to mind my business and go on about my day and not lose any sleep. And when I get with my teammates laugh about what I want to laugh about and take the criticism that I'm gonna take. ... I've been a topic of criticism since I've been here, so I'll be all right."

By Jason Reid  | September 21, 2010; 12:23 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Football Insider 2010 iPhone app
Next: Redskins Insider Live Webcast

Comments

First to say this is a trash story, just some RI reporting fodder.

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Click on the video Hater NAtion...Shanny said he would want CR22 feeling the same way DHall felt....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:27 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Tuesday, September 21, 2010Redskins OL Will Montgomery Signed 1-Year Extension
Washington Redskins offensive lineman Will Montgomery recently signed a one-year contract extension, NFLPA records indicate.

A restricted free agent this off-season, Montgomery was tendered at the "Original Round" level, which carried a base salary of $1.176 million for the 2010 season. NFLPA records now have Montgomery's base salary at $630,000 in 2010 and $640,000 in 2011.

According to a league source, Montgomery received an undisclosed roster bonus, and through playing-time incentives, can increase his total compensation in each of the next two seasons.

Chosen in the a seventh round (234th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft out of Virginia Tech by the Carolina Panthers, Montgomery started four of the six games he was active as a rookie before he was waived at the start of the 2007 season.

Signed by the New York Jets, Montgomery started two games in '07 before being waived and claimed by the Redskins midway through the 2008 season. The 6-3, 305-pound Montgomery was active for all 16 games last season, making three starts at right guard.
Posted by Brian McIntyre at 12:20 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Let me be the first today to say: FU JReid you Trojan POS.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 21, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Why JReid is trying to make this blog about himself and the media....

We got real news going on....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I like the signing of Will Montgomery. Not a flashy guy, but hardworking, and not a decent option for backing up C and G.

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"I think everything that come out of my mouth is the truth."

Nobody doubts that you think everything that comes out of your mouth is the truth, Clinton.

Whether or not it actually is...well, that's an entirely different story.

Posted by: psps23 | September 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Not to make too big a deal out of this...with everything going on in the world it's really quite insignificant...But kudos to Clinton for not backing off and standing firm on what he feels is the truth.

I'm so sick of people like Reid and the rest of the PC police out there trying to beat everyone into a vanilla, boring submission where we all have to say the right thing and it always has to be void of controversy.

Agree or not, it's hard not to have a little bit of respect for CP for holding firm here.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Bwood,

Landry is finally showin his potential

I feel moes steeler comparasion is fair

There lbs lead in tackles because troy has established himself

Hopefully landry can do the same n rak will reap the benefits

Our d is still hybrib right now, id say more of a 3/5 with landry in the box

We need to add a true olb opposite rak n then the transformation will go true 34

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 21, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Brown I'm here to learn and voice my op and make the day go by, just like all a yous

I can't help that my op is hated.

I agree with portis, for example, he speaks truth and gets flak.

It's like no one can handle the truth.

Bottom line we didn't fix our line. Trent Williams is great, but as we've all seen (the truth) docks no better than licky, browns no better than heyer, and the touting of BMW was a sham

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 21, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry Clinton...I'll never turn the channel or station when you are on...never!

And if there where 53 naked women standing in front of me...I am pretty sure I will take a few peeks at their boobies...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Gradkowski, Campbell conundrum could spark a locker-room rift
Posted by Mike Florio on September 21, 2010 12:05 PM ET

With the Raiders unexpectedly yanking quarterback Jason Campbell for Bruce Gradkowski and then apparently doctoring the post-game quotes from coach Tom Cable to suggest . . . well, something, we're picking up strong indications of a potential locker-room problem between Campbell and Gradkowski.

Campbell perceives, we're told, that Gradkowski actively has lobbied quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett, who worked with Gradkowski in Tampa, to give Gradlowski a chance to play.

Gradkowski got that chance on Sunday, and he made the most of it in a come-from-behind win over the Rams.

Whether Campbell's perception is accurate doesn't matter. It's the kind of thing that could create trouble between the two quarterbacks, sparking an atmosphere much different than the whole Warner Brothers polite gophers vibe in Philly. It also could, as other situations like this have done, spread to the locker room.

In Oakland, the potential dysfunction arguably wouldn't even qualify as typical dysfunction. But dysfunction it still is, and it comes at a time when the Raiders supposedly had found an answer at the quarterback position.

The challenge for Cable will be to come up with a way to contain the situation before it becomes a problem. And it likely will require an approach far more subtle than accidentally breaking someone's jaw.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis for President!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | September 21, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Reid's vagina still sore...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Gradkowski, Campbell conundrum could spark a locker-room rift
Posted by Mike Florio on September 21, 2010 12:05 PM ET

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:41 PM

Sucks when you get that toy you wanted for months on xmas morning...you're all excited...open it up...and its broken.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Cosign!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:41 PM

Seriously, why would there be a locker room rift? Who's going to side with JC?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 21, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

MORE "TRUTH" FROM PORTIS

ASHBURN, VA -- Coming off a dismal performance on Sunday, Washington Redskins star running back Clinton Portis dismissed the Houston Texans defensive line as a "bunch of haters."

According to Portis, "I mean, don't these dudes know who I am and what I've done for dis league?"

Portis said he believes the Houston defensive line was intentionally keying on him, to include tackling him whenever they could, and trying to deprive him of the opportunity to gain some yardage."

"But I showed them," he said. "Here's a little secret. You all thought I just slipped out there on that run to the left. Nah, I was just laying it out there and showing them all how they could kiss my big old behind. So there!"

Posted by: Vic1 | September 21, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Reid's vagina still sore...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2010 12:44 PM

And the thing about the radio interview....this was the very last thing they spoke of and used the fewest amount of time of. He said plenty about Football stuff, which is what wanna hear up here....

Go back a few post a read the tweets I posted...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I see "Da Mayor" didn't get his Portis exclusive this week.

How about a spot on CP hustling is A$$ of to make that block for Fred D? That would be better than this trash.

Posted by: dcwun | September 21, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Are we ever going to get the story of why "The Mayor" is so ready to throw CP under the bus?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 21, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

That article can't be true Vic, he spoke too clearly and coherently, none of that great Miami edumacation came out in it, I think we have a Portis immitator!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, why would there be a locker room rift? Who's going to side with JC?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 21, 2010 12:46 PM

Well...apparently he is talkin to someone...how would we know he suspects BG was doing any lobbying....

...And now that we are 2 weeks into the season...It seems JC was hand picked by Al Davis and not the HC...As evidence of JC getting pulled...So, he may be in an even more F'd up situation there than he would have been here learning from one of the top flight QBs in the league....and potential to play due to injury history of McNabb....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I can't help that my op is hated.

It's like no one can handle the truth.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 21, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

First of all, yes, you can help the fact that your opinion is hated/ridiculed/dismissed out of hand by any knowledgeable fan.

The fact is, your posts are so devoid of any reality based assessment that you come off as a petulant second grader who is just whining for the sake of whining.

You say things like we have not addressed the O-line? Any personnel guy in the league wold read that and tell you that you are way off. And your McNabb takes are even worse. I won't even bother wasting my time refuting you, it's just ridiculous.

So if you want people to not hate your takes, the have getter takes, it's that simple.

As for your quote about nobody being able to handle the truth, I just wanted to introduce you to my friend the kettle. Kettle, pot. Pot, kettle.

That's all.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Reid's vagina still sore...

Posted by: RedDMV

I can't believe they let you submit that!!.. wow

Posted by: rachel216 | September 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing is Pabrainiac talks 'we' and 'us' like is really is a Redskins fan, but he has absolutely NOTHING nice to say about them. You might call it 'drinking the koolade', but I call it supporting your team, so shut the f*ck up and support your team, we are sick of hearing your b*tching!

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid is really starting to lose a lot of credibility with the readers of this blog, in much the same way that Jason La Canfora lost total credibility with his readers.

It's a shame because when he started out here, he seemed to be a much more objective reporter than his predecessor. Now it's hard to tell the difference between the two.

Reid has gone way out of his way to call Portis an idiot and say his comments were "idiotic" (on WaPo Live). Yet at no point has he or anyone else explained what was so offensive about Portis's comments. You lose credibility when you attack something and don't explain why.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@SkinsfaninKaneohe, You don't have to like the man (JReid), but, you, and a few others on here are very disrespectful. what's with the 'FU' and 'POS' comments? What gives? Is that REALLY necessary?

Posted by: delfranklin4 | September 21, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:27 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

shanny names a few names in there too; one notably left out......Reed Doughty

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 21, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I believe Portis when he says "I bees talking with the truth ... that's me." On the other hand, he jibberjabbers and shows why he's considered a thickheaded thicklip. I also believe that he has a right to his opinion on female reporters coming into a male locker room. The fact that ESPN and others foster their political correctness off on the audience is even worse than inconveniencing the players. Still ESPN plays both sides of the street, ie. they push gender equality even when it's harmful to the product and out of place while promoting jocksniffing at every turn.

Posted by: individual | September 21, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

What a bunch of punks.

4thFloor- grow up

Posted by: bal503 | September 21, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

this blog is why skins fans are called Palin's Kid's. these liquored up never played a down of jack, losers get on here and run their yap. HTTC!!!

Posted by: doyouktt | September 21, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

well, the REAL question is DO female reporters in the locker room look at ANYbody's "package?" try as they may (if), you know -amm well some DO. so why blast clinton for voicing an obvious truth... just ask yourself: do you NOT look at the loose bootys at the beach or swimming pool? even out the side of your eye if you're with your lady?

Posted by: dcjazzman | September 21, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

@individual: what exactly do you consider a "thickheaded thicklip" to be??? that sounds kinda like namecalling to me. like what some of us, in the 70's, might have termed as "stereotyping." not a nice thing to do.

Posted by: dcjazzman | September 21, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 12:40 PM

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ
This is the RI post-screening committee.
You have until 8:00 AM tomorrow morning to submit a minimum two page apology and statement of contrition, fully explaining the hurtful nature of your post and why you will never utter such destructive comments again in public. Thank you.

Posted by: kenboy1 | September 21, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Why does anyone care about what Portis said???

He has a RIGHT to say it!!!

I love the guy as a football player but his opinions about anything mean ZERO to me. As should they mean ZERO to all of you.

This is what the 1st amendment is about! Letting people speak their mind even if you hate what they say!

Posted by: skins91r | September 22, 2010 5:23 AM | Report abuse

Why does anyone care about what Portis said???

He has a RIGHT to say it!!!

Posted by: skins91r | September 22, 2010 5:32 AM | Report abuse

That'ta boy Clinton. You told the truth. When the truth hurts, screw 'em.

Posted by: jighazelton | September 22, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

That'ta boy Clinton. You told the truth. When the truth hurts, screw 'em.

Posted by: jighazelton | September 22, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Portis was stating the obvious - of course female reporters check out body parts in the men's locker room. The whole idea of reporters in the locker room goes back to when all sports reporters were men, and it has outlived its time. If it is really necessary to reporting, why are no men allowed in female locker rooms while the women are naked - the men would be arrested if they entered. Let's give male athletes the same respect.

Posted by: bobsport | September 22, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

One further comment: Why doesn't the NFL and the Players' Association come to Portis' defense, and establish a policy similar to the WNBA - that is, no reporters in the locker room for 30 minutes after the game, so the athletes can shower and dress in privacy? I think that the requirement - yes, it is a requirement - by the Redskins for its players to submit to nude interviews should be viewed as workplace harrassment. I think a lawsuit (possibly anonymous to avoid retribution) would be in order. The old court decisions allowing females in the locker rooms only require equal access, not that they be there while the men are naked. A screened area could be provided in the locker room to accommodate both the reporters and the athletes. Alternatively, a male reporter could file suit to require female athletes to interview in the nude - then it would end. The same women who now defend nude interviews would be the loudest opponents if the tables were turned.

Posted by: bobsport | September 23, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse