Clinton Portis says Redskins gave up on him last year

Redskins running back Clinton Portis said Tuesday that he believed the organization gave up on him last year and was getting ready to "ship him out."

The nine-year veteran said during his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan that the arrival of head coach Mike Shanahan in Washington has revived him. Players and coaches have commended Portis this year for coming to training camp in shape and displaying a new commitment to the team.

Portis said the team believes in Shanahan's scheme, a contrast with last year, when, he said, not everyone believed in former head coach Jim Zorn. He said the team is more unified and that players are headed in the same direction.

Portis said he is trying to keep a "low profile. No matter what I do somebody's gonna be opposed to it," he said.

He also said the news media are blowing the team's conflict with defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth out of proportion. Portis said he has reached out to Haynesworth.

More on Portis coming soon...

By Jason Reid  |  September 14, 2010; 11:09 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No rest for Trent Williams with Mario Williams arriving
Next: Redskins Insider webcast

Comments

I love it. Portis is trying to keep a low profile...during his weekly radio appearance.

Posted by: hithere1 | September 14, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

This is the one part of Portis' persona I don't get. Redskins fan have always been ready to love him. Trying to get Sellers benched and derisively calling his coach "a genius" on a radio show were the only times people got on him. Didn't mean the fans had turned on him for good.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 14, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

How convenient for him for deciding to "buy in," right when it's become obvious that he is no longer a starting running back in the NFL.

Posted by: ThisGuy | September 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

It must not be obvious to the Shanahans.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 14, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The level of offensive ineptitude this first week is baffling especially since there were elite teams displaying this ineptitude. Half the games this first week saw neither team score over twenty, and twenty-one teams were under twenty points. Compared to opening week last year, that's a +4 change for games with both teams under 20 points and a +7 change for total teams under 20 points. Going back further a few years, the trend has been around four games where both teams score less than 20.

It may be just be another meaningless statistic that I'm throwing out, but I thought it was an interesting observation. Is this the beginning of a power shift in the league? Will this season be more competitive than in previous years? Several upsets this weekend suggests that.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 14, 2010 11:06 AM |

It's definitely a sign of the times. Almost no one goes full-speed in practice like they did 20 years ago for fear of not being able to field a team in their opener. Pre-season is fraught with the watering down of offensive packages and even personnel as most top-tier talent is rested out of fear of injury. This creates rust and puts almost every offense behind the defenses in the first few weeks of the season.

That's why this win is so crucial. Dallas DOES have a stout defense but their offense was spotty and when the only thing going for them - the run game - was abandoned by the chosen one, Jason, the couldn't finish drives.

I am more encouraged by most people who pan the offensive continuity of the 'Skins - or a lack thereof.

The 'Skins penalties never killed them. They capitalized on a turnover for once - on the same play as a matter of fact - even though I may go to my grave without ever seeing CR22 actually catch a ball that hits him in the hands. They stuck with the run and converted 3rd downs when it really mattered to keep drives alive and the clock ticking. The O-line did it's job and I even saw CP26 almost knock himself out picking up a blitz that made me pump my fist and spill my Heineken a little.

Essentially, there was way more good than bad that happened for a low-scoring opener. Things will get better.....starting next week.

Dallas could well go 0-3 into their bye week. Is it possible that week 2 for Dallas is a 'must win'?

I'm thinking yes.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 14, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Damn me for re-posting.

I am dooshy for doing that.

Now I know what it feels like to be a COW-CHOKE fan.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 14, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"By Oct. 3, the next home game, the atmosphere at the Linc could be toxic for Kolb. The opponent that day? Washington, of course. McNabb is going to feel right at home."

McNabb v. Vick/Kolb/Reid

Reid: Donnie, you're done.

McNabb: Don't think so, Fatso.

Vick: You was just tryin' to be me the whole time you were here.

McNabb: Actually, I was trying to be a professional NFL quarterback.

Not a guy who just sold jersey's and became a PETA posterchild.

Kolb: I'm gonna make people forget all about you!

McNabb: You're right.

You're the guy who'll replace me in all their nightmares.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 14, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

F Portis h8trs! You go Clinton!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 14, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Glad he's bought in. Still think he looked slow early on - maybe the holes weren't there. Nevertheless I wouldn't mind seeing K Williams get a few carries at some point.

Posted by: skinswest | September 14, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Haters will hate. CPo averaged 3.5 - decent, started running downhill in the second half, splayed OUT Ware & others while protecting McNabb...

I'm tellin' ya - one more GOOD guard (trade for Stompy?!puhleeze??) and the running game will be rolling.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I think Portis and the running game find their grove this weekend.

This weeks early calls:

1) Portis for 100-125 yards
2) McNabb for 200 yards passing 35 rushing
3) Orakap forces one fumble on Schaub
4) R Doughty gives up 1, possibly 2 TDs to the Schaub A Johnson combo
5) Rogers gets one pick this week. He's due for one.
6) Houston rushes for 150 yards
7) The X factor is how much K Shananhan can give to Haslett on his knowledge of their system and players.

This one is a mixed bag but I think we can win if our running game keeps Schaub/Johnson off the field some. Our D will be better than Indy's, and they won't put up those type of running numbers.

I think momentum carries us from last weeks win and the team continues to gel and buy into Shanahans' scheme. Giving us a slight edge playing at home with a rejuvenated crowd.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 14, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Thinking maybe CP got this one backwards. He looked a little fat and outta shape last year - sorta like he had quite on them first.

But glad he's back, in shape and with a new attitude. Standing by for his break-out game....

Posted by: edvar | September 14, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

5) Rogers gets one pick this week. He's due for one.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....2009 called, he didn't have one then either....he had a ball hit him in the cement blocks the other night, and we got the same thing we've gotten for his whole career....an almost interception...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"It's going to take a while for CPo to get back to the zone run. He started comin' on though in the 4th remember?"

He just can't, he's too beat up.

Portis had two HUGE holes staring him in the face. On one he got 8 yardson the second he stumbled through and got 4 yards.

Both of those he should have broke for TD's. Why didn't he then? He's too slow, he has no "explosiveness" anymore. That part is not his fault, he's just getting older. At this point in his career he's a 3rd down back who can still pass block a ton.

My friend who was watching with me said "If that's Chris Johnson those are both TD's."

I'm already willing to bet the Redskins top pick next year will be a RB, as long as they resign McNabb.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Trent Williams, the block Trent had for Captain Chaos on one of his catches was fantastic. Without a doubt, it was one of the best plays of the game.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The 'Skins gave up on him?

They sure didn't give up on his pockets.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

A 3-3 0r 4-2 start?

Looking ahead:

Texans
Rams
Eagles
Packers
Colts

We're lucky to have the Colts, Texans, and Pack--all good teams--at home, early.

A 4-2 start would be a wonderful thing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 14, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Love the optimism, Devo. I'm not feeling it so much.

I think we hit a wall this week where our problem areas become illuminated.

I do see some turnovers, which'll be great. But I see problems making things work in the red zone.

We'll get there, though.

Hail!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 14, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 14, 2010 11:43 AM

Oh Ray,
When PeaBrain2003 reads this post, you're going to find yourself on the business end of a hissy fit.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

So who do you use to cover Johnson this week as the main DB?

Rogers or Hall?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Too bad he still looks like crap running the ball and falling all over himself. He is one hell of a blocker tho. Maybe we should put him at fullback.

Posted by: xtra1 | September 14, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

That's funny. I think he got it backwards. PORTIS GAVE up on the Redskins -- TWO YEARS AGO!

Glad he's a new man now.. coincidence once Shanny brought in more RBs to compete, huh? I think N-O-T!!!!

He's reached out to Paynesworth? LOrd, he's gonna fumble more now 'cause I'm sure #92 bit his arm off!!!!

I'll cut #92 some slack when he cuts the Redskins a CHECK!

Posted by: wagenstill | September 14, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

A 4-2 start would be a wonderful thing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 14, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. I can see us competing with Philly and STL, but GB, HOU, & IND should be favored. By alot.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 14, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Portis had two HUGE holes staring him in the face.
Posted by: rmcazz | September 14, 2010 11:43 AM |

So did I when I was in a 69 with some drunk skank last Saturday night.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 14, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I agree, I think Portis has looked slow during preseason and the first game, here is to hoping he finds his groove, but I think we will see more and more of K. Williams or at least I hope so.

I also think there is no way that the Chargers get rid of VJax now, I think they will need him.

T. Williams block for Cooley was gorgeous.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 14, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I think Portis and the running game find their grove this weekend.

This weeks early calls:

1) Portis for 100-125 yards
2) McNabb for 200 yards passing 35 rushing
3) Orakap forces one fumble on Schaub
4) R Doughty gives up 1, possibly 2 TDs to the Schaub A Johnson combo
5) Rogers gets one pick this week. He's due for one.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 14, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm onboard for 1-3, but if Doughty is guarding AJ, we are in for a long day. Furthermore, Rogers couldn't catch an INT if it was sent first class mail and delivered on a satin pillow.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Portis had two HUGE holes staring him in the face.
Posted by: rmcazz | September 14, 2010 11:43 AM |

So did I when I was in a 69 with some drunk skank last Saturday night.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 14, 2010 11:52 AM

Man, that taint funny,

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

He quit, he ran to the Danny, he disrespected his mates and the locker room.

Just when I was trying to give this cat a break...eff him and his 'victim' BS.

Run, Block, Catch, Practice, Play, SHUT UP.

Posted by: kahlua87 | September 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"So who do you use to cover Johnson this week as the main DB?

Rogers or Hall?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse"

Both.

You do the same thing you did last week with Miles Austin. Attack the QB, run zone coverages, force the QB to react in an instant. If Johson/Schaub can beat it, so be it.

Posted by: psps23 | September 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I am all for the Skins drafting a RB in the first round next year and using Portis as a 3rd down back and blocker on passing downs, dude is a straight monster at blocking.

Love to see us draft Ryan Williams, Ingram or a bowling ball type runner like Foster.

I like Choice alot from the Boys, he is a good player.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 14, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"At Eastern Motors....yo job's yo credit.

When Clinton fumbles....you 'bes fo-get-it."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 14, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I am having a hard time believing that Horton is this bad...was a star waiting to break out a couple of seasons ago and now does nothing. Doughty looked atrocious on Sunday night, hope Moore is coming back soon.

I was pretty happy with our LBs, thought that would be more of a weakness for us, only first game though.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 14, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Zoron is working his magic in Baltimore. Flacco looked pretty confused, his decision making was slow, and he was off-target on a bunch of throws. Boldin made him look pretty good. I saw at least two plays where a good throw results in a TD. Bolding was blowing right past #20 and there was no help up top, yet Flacco continually underthrew him. And the times I'm mentioning, Flacco had enough time and space to set his feet.

I give Mr. Medium another half season, and Harbaugh will think that he's got Jason Campbell at QB.

Zorn was, is, and always will be an idiot. The reason he "lost the team" is that he was INCOMPETENT. When your head coach doesn't know what the hell he's doing, it's hard for the players to get on board.

I don't know about the huge holes. I was at the game and had pretty good seats, and didn't see those. I really hoped that the Skins could have ground out another first down and sealed the win.

Things to worry about:

Two-minute drill defense. Hopefully they will get better with more time in Haslett's system

The punter: a 27 yard put leads to Dallas TD, and he cost 3 more by muffing the snap on a FG. That's 10 points. Is Hunter the Punter still available?

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 14, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

BEEEEEEEEP

Posted by: WRBD | September 14, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51

Someone up here doesn't read the comments up here or listen to local talk radio much, do they?

Man, since Portis basically came here he's had his host of haters. People (even when he was putting up 1400 yard seasons) have been on the "We shouldn't have traded Champ for Portis" garbage for a little while now.

It intensified to all out hate when he made those comments about Zorn (who had called him out in the media first FOR NO REASON) and when he called for Sellers benching (expressed to the coaching staff, not the media and appeared to be justified -- and still is).

Don't get it confused: People hate the guy for the pure sake of hating him. Like I've been saying: Haynesworth? I get it. Hate justified and understood (although I feel I don't need to bang my keyboard in disgust every time his name is mentioned like so many here) But Portis and Hall? Will never comprehend the hate, discontent, antagonism, loathing, malevolence, or whatever -- Ever.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 14, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

minus the last play, thought Rak was a little quiet for most of the night, especially playing against a bunch of d bags on the OL. I think we still need to get more pressure from the front 4.

The one lineman down strategy sucks too.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 14, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

mColeman, all of things he said were true. maybe the only problem was they got out to the public. the Sellers situation however, was not leaked to the media by CP. that was an inhouse thing that got leaked by someone trying to create a bigger divide in the locker room.

Posted by: destewar | September 14, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Real happy with the win on Sunday, however can we run outside every once in a while like Dallas had Barber doing. My thinking is the playbook will expand each week and hopefully we start rollin on offense.

Posted by: joeboggs | September 14, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I like Choice alot from the Boys, he is a good player.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 14, 2010 11:57 AM
==================================

I thought you were insane, then I read the last part of your post. You're closet Cowboy fan.

If Shanny takes a RB in the first round, he should have his head examined. Which of his RB in Denver were first rounders?

How about drafting another OL? Like a Guard? Dockery isn't getting any younger.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 14, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

mhartz... Rak was held the entire game. there should have been at least 5 or 6 obvious holds called against his various blockers. plus the cowboys went away from whatever side he was on as much as possible. saying you didn't hear his name doesn't mean he wasn't a game changer. the cowboys were trying to deal with him the whole game. remember, we used to go weeks without hearing Champ's name called, because he always had his man on lockdown. same thing with Rak, offenses now try to plan around him because he's a beast.

Posted by: destewar | September 14, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm one of the people who loved Portis, until last year. He admittedily didn't bust it during the offseason, preseason or even during the practice week in season. I was ready to ship him out. Now I really like the new attitude. I'm glad he is still here and believe the running game will get better. Nice to see him and Moss act like they just did what they are supposed to do after getting a first down or nice run. The cowgirls where the ones pointing for a first down after a catch and acting like the just scored and guess what....THEY LOST!! Love the new attitude on this team and give Shannhan all the credit.

Posted by: tnand | September 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Portis is best with this me-against-the-world mentality. So let's chill out and don't say anything to mess it up!!

Posted by: shanks1 | September 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

So the team gave up on Clinton Tortoise last year...I wonder why. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he acted like he was bigger than the team, seldom practiced or participated in preseason games, threw his teammates under the bus repeatedly, and didn't perform up to the hefty paycheck he was earning. I also love how spins this year's behavior as a revival. Let's see it for what it really is... Shanahan sent his sorry butt out of Denver because he was a headache there, and Clinton knows he'll do it again if he doesn't shape up and start acting like a professional. He's still a punk who refuses to take any ownership for his behavior.

Posted by: mcwop | September 14, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 14, 2010 12:04 PM

The problem is that Clinton Portis runs his mouth and over the last few years he has lost a step. He doesn't believe in holding himself accountable for anything he does. We don't mind the "Southeast Jerome" stuff as long as you're winning. But CP blames everybody else but himself, and he's really not that good anymore.

Question: does Chris Johnson have to rededicate himself? Does Adrian Peterson have to rededicate himself? Does Ray Lewis have to rededicate himself? No, so why now is CP wanting to rededicate himself? Because he knows he was slacking the last few years. Then he blames the media for getting it wrong when he was the one that came to the media. J. Campbell was the one that said you weren't practicing. We saw you on NFL Network (Don't know what they had him on there) and you came out of left field talking about Lavar Arrington. Now you have a radio show and I guess when you put your foot in your mouth it will be someone elses fault. Take personal responsibility for something.

Posted by: tryumpfant | September 14, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 14, 2010 12:04 PM

Posted by: tryumpfant | September 14, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I would love you alot Portis, if you would just SHUTUP and quit whining.

Posted by: DCFanatic | September 14, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

heard Clinton's take on Ines in the Jets locker room? finally, wisdom!
jus say no to chix in locker rooms

Posted by: mloaks | September 14, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The yapping turtle slow to end of the fairy tale.

Posted by: dmlopez1 | September 15, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse