Clinton Portis won't play Thursday

Slowed by an ankle sprain, running back Clinton Portis will not play in Thursday's preseason finale at Arizona.

Neither Portis nor quarterback Donovan McNabb participated in practice on Monday. But both seemed to be walking around on their sore ankles without much problem.

"Still getting treatment," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "We'll take this day by day."

A few other items from Monday's practice:

-- Receiver Joey Galloway missed practice because he was attending a funeral, Shanahan said.

-- Fullback Mike Sellers likely will miss Thursday's game, but he doesn't seem too concerned about the knee injury he suffered Aug. 21 against Baltimore.
"Nah, the knee's fine," Sellers said Monday. "It's getting better."

-- Willie Parker didn't take any repetitions at practice Monday but is expected to see action Thursday. Shanahan said Parker was "tight" on Monday. "I don't think it'll slow him down during the game," he said.

-- Linebacker Perry Riley (ankle) missed practice. "I can't say for sure" whether he'll play, Shanahan said, "but it doesn't look good right now." Shanahan said coaches have seen enough of Riley to properly evaluate him.

-- Cornerback Phillip Buchanon is not expected to return any punts on Thursday. Shanahan said he's seen enough of Buchanon over the years. "I want to evaluate some of these younger guys," he said.

By Rick Maese  |  August 30, 2010; 3:10 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Donovan McNabb , Willie Parker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Malcolm Kelly suffers another setback
Next: Team has few options with Malcolm Kelly

Comments

In a startling development at Redskins park there was a false alarm today in Ashburn. It was chaos in the morning. Asked what happened Lorenzo Alexander quoted that it sounded like someone just started shooting and everyone just kind of hit the ground and scrambling for cover.

After the loud noise stopped it was discovered that in fact it was not a shooting at all but Malcom Kelly's knee's and hamstrings popping all at the same time. Malcom Kelly was not available for comment for this post but was seen crawling off the field.

More on this story later

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 30, 2010 11:52 AM

HAHA I posted earlier and no one believed me, I told you so

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 30, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Well, you kinda knew he'd be sitting out. Good for him. I hope it ain't a real injury.

We'll see.....
... onion other hand, I think Tomlinson just ran for another first down over Carter.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 30, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Florio goes in own Mike Wise - Wow just Wow....Don't piss off this Internet Bama

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

doesn't it seem like an unfair advantage for us to have our game on thursday? i mean, we'll be "done" and able to move on to game-planning for the opener ahead of other teams, we get extra rest etc...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 30, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"f AC isn't getting any or limited playing time it would be in his best interests to got to a 4-3 team."

That's:

Tenn
Minn
Tampa
Detriot
Carolina
Nawlins
Seattle
San Fran
KC
Cincy

Am I wrong or missing anybody?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Portis and McNabb were seen walking around with no problem.

Chances of them both playing: 100%

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 30, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Under the radar stuff:

Posted by: GasFace | August 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"Clinton Portis won't play Thursday"

If so many teams are sitting their stars this Thursday night, what's the importance of the games, then, especially since it falls between two cutdown dates?

Let's be honest: most teams already know who has made their rosters, and an additional preseason game is just another opportunity for some valuable player to get hurt.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 30, 2010 3:18 PM

Well, not just to us but to every team in the league since they all play on Thursday. So, every team is getting that unfair advantage you're referring to.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 30, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

That's:

Tenn
Minn
Tampa
Detriot
Carolina
Nawlins
Seattle
San Fran
KC
Cincy

Am I wrong or missing anybody?

Philly and NY. St. Louis I think?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 30, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Kelly...

I still can't believe we took this guy before the #1 WR in the draft DeSean Jackson... Every time that dude touches the ball, I just say "I HATE VINNY!"

Size is overrated, If we had Jackson, just think... Our special teams issues would of been resolved a long time ago & we would have Moss as our #2, DT #3, and so on... The 3 WR/TE picks in a row, would of looked a lot better and we could of lived with those picks today since we have fixed our O-line finally.

Posted by: tony325 | August 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? Was Willie Parker fast in the game?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, had to chime in with this:

Florio just what we call "went on" the dude Mike Wise.

I think it's long been established that Mike Wise is a blithering idiot. Not quick to throw props to Florio for anything but he gets a standing 'O' from me on this one.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 30, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 3:22 PM |

And practice for that "additional preseason game is just another opportunity for some valuable player to get hurt". It happened to MK this morning, didn't it?

Posted by: GasFace | August 30, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Rep

The only thing I got from that was 40 million page views in August...Dayuumm

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Carter will not be traded, at least not yet. This team has largely played "vanilla" defenses, meaning mostly man-to-man and straight work against your opponent. In those cases Carter has looked underwhelming, which is to be expected against RBs and TEs in space. What has not been seen is the scheme putting Carter in place to take advantage of his strengths. Carter will not be matched up in space nearly as much as the preseason might have foretold, and he will have many more opportunities to attack the QB from disguised angles once the season starts. He is most likely the first player on the list of guys that need to be judged under the scheme, rather than in 1-on-1 situations. My guess is Carter, Orakpo, and Landry will look a lot different under Haslett's full scope defense, as opposed to what we've seen so far.

Posted by: psps23 | August 30, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I mean Reds - He did the, 'Sit down young man. I need to give you a lecture on this Game here. See, you play wit me, you play wit my money. And Big Daddy Florio don't play when someone else other than me is playing with Florio's money.'

Straight Internet Gangsta style. Classic!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me why we would/should continue to waste a roster spot on MK? I am shocked at how many people want to try and keep MK paper mache around

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | August 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

gasface

"Under the radar stuff: Kory Lichtensteiger has looked good at center and seems to be on course to replace Casey Rabach sooner or later."

Kory Lichtensteiger moving up as center should meaan Wil Montgemory and Chad Rhinehart might be moving out.

Whither Edwin Williams and Eugene Cook?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

From Rich Campbell

Redskins PR: Two separate trades today: WAS traded Dennis Morris to STL for a conditional pick; WAS traded a cond pick to STL for Hall Davis 12 minutes ago

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | August 30, 2010 3:26 PM

Well, tony, there's a reason you can't believe it: we didn't. Jackson was the 49th pick in the draft and Kelly was the 51st pick. So, doesn't that make you feel better now about Vinny. You should apologize.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 30, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

We should keep MK12 because we don't have ONE receiver like him as far as height, reach, and potential combined....

Next Question.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 30, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, had to chime in with this:

Florio just what we call "went on" the dude Mike Wise.

Posted by: RedDMV

Yes the columnists don't really produce better material than those who run the blogs. Canfora and Reid actually have done good work given they have run RI which require rapid updates.
Really, the "cushy" jobs go to reporters like Hamilton, Wise, Boswell(who does well), and Jenkins who don't really write sports stories, theirs are more like op-ed/special interest pieces; Hamilton doesn't know anything about football(Kornheiser) and Jenkins writes stories which are above her level of knowledge (she is trying to be wilbon).

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 30, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

damn I thought Shanahan pulled a real sweet deal with the trade when the players were traded straight up wonder what type of conditional pick we might have to give up

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | August 30, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

psps, what do you make of the situation with DT11? I'm thinking that Friday night just solidified that his place is secure and the coaches wanted to look at the other receivers. What say you?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 30, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Off topic and onto Albert.

Saw him playing DE and much to my surprise, I didn't like it. There's a much greater distance between Albert and the OL guy when he's at DE as opposed to DT. That distance seemed to rob Albert of his power.

That first push he gets from a down position has great quickness and power. Playing DE, it seemed that he lost some of that power in that extra step or two between the snap and when he engaged the blocker.

A lot of DE guys line up wide so they can use their speed and agility. It didn't work for Albert.

If he's playing DE, he needs to be up on the OL guy so he can explode into him. Which means he's better off inside of the DEs.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 30, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I got to say LaVar's blog is looking good, while we are going over all the writers for da post.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 30, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Didn't need Florio to remind me that Mike Wise is a sniveling "look-at-me! look-at-me!" hack.

Posted by: p1funk | August 30, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

from Florio,

"...Wise admitted that he fabricated the report in order to prove that "anybody will print anything."

Why would he have to do that when with his fako PFW update's, Beantowngreg has done the same thing--and made the same point--in the forum repeatedly?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

LH, those were my thoughts exactly. I think they've seen enough of DT11 through training camp and preseason to lock him up with a roster spot. By all accounts he has a great attitude towards practice, he's definitely atop the list of talent (potential) among the WRs, and he's a STer. I see Moss, Galloway, Armstrong, and Thomas in already, Williams and Wade fighting for a spot, and Banks/Austin fighting for a spot. DT11 probably had the most extensive run during the first 2 preseason games among the WRs, so that's why he was left out in game #3.

Posted by: psps23 | August 30, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

CP congrats! Cigars and drinks at my place tonight, coach will pick up the tab.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | August 30, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 3:22 PM |

Posted by: GasFace | August 30, 2010 3:28 PM

When did MK12 become a "valuable" player?

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 30, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1

"Saw him (AH) playing DE and much to my surprise, I didn't like it.... That distance seemed to rob Albert of his power."

In the year he dominated in Tenn., he played backside de, and blew up most teams left tackles.

I'd play him at de to the wideside of the field (and delay blitz to his inside) to maximize his pass rush and run stopping skills.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Z, here's what John Keim saw:

WHAT WE LEARNED

» Albert Haynesworth commands attention. Good to be reminded of that fact. His second rush showed how much respect he garners. Haynesworth started at the nose and stunted to the right side. As he went this way, three New York Jets blockers — three! — went with him. That left Vonnie Holliday free coming up the middle for a pressure. Seriously, three Jets were staring right at Haynesworth. Unreal.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Redskins-notebook-82810-101741208.html#ixzz0y7YoxdK8

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 30, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

4th, true indeed. Wise had that a'comin.

He's an idiot jerk from his stated opinions to those clown ass Hawaiian shirts he used to wear on Jim Rome Is Burning (The rumor is he doesn't get invited on the show anymore because of them).

Dude goes completely out of his way to make himself look stupid.

And it's why he's a perfect fit for 106.7 "The Fan".

Seriously, wtf is going on with D.C. sports in general lately? I mean, from the media to the fans to the players right on down to the suck bum ass pro teams and the dream selling pimps that own these teams.

I put the odds of John Wall pulling a "Shaun Livingston" at about 60%. It would be totally on par for this CURSED and DAMNED sports town.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 30, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 3:49 PM

Posted by: league_source | August 30, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Red,

It is weird aint it? Things in DC were turning around 6 months ago.... not so much.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 30, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

league_source

"Someone like beep-beep would argue that he has to do that because suckers like you keep falling for it."

Me a 'sucker'?

You must have me confused with your wife.

Or sister.

Or daughter.

Or mother.

Suck is a word I use only after I had a family member of your money.

And seeing how I only travel with ten bucks, I guess I should say that's all it's worth.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1

Posted by: MistaMoe |

Just saying what I saw. I expected to like Albert at DE. Thought it'd be a tough matchup for the LT. Turns out, not so much.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 30, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

At Eastern Motors...

Yo job's yo credit.

When Clinton fumbles...

You best fo-get-it.

Two wobbly ankles and he's, lost his burst...

Without competition at his position he plays just like a Haynesworth.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 30, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 30, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I saw that. That was against the vaunted Jets starting Oline. If AH plays the way he's capable, then this pass rush will be hard to handle.

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GasFace | August 30, 2010 3:22 PM

Yesterday I finally got a chance to watch the second half of the Jets game, and Lichtensteiger looked great blindsiding Jason Taylor on that screen to Austin. In fact, the whole O-line executed quite well on that play. Watched it several times in slow motion to pick up everything that happened on that play.

Good call against an aggressive defense.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 30, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 4:09 PM

Thanks for taking the bait, classical conditioning is a wonderful thing.

Posted by: league_source | August 30, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

al, from the Wizards flushing their season down the toilet/imploding the roster and Arenas bringing gats into the locker room, the Caps getting bounced in the 1st round, to the Nats starting strong then COMPLETELY falling off then Strasburg getting Tommy John'd... the Haynesworth fiasco, now McNabb and his per annum injury...

It's like DAMN when is enough is enough!?!?!?!

I'll never root for other teams. EVER! But damn if your faith isn't tested regularly rooting for DC pro teams.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 30, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 30, 2010 4:10 PM

Keep in mind that they have not been running their defense (or so they say) so it's too soon to make a judgment, especially about AH considering it was his first extended action.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 30, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

It's like DAMN when is enough is enough!?!?!?!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 30, 2010 4:20 PM

It's always darkest before the dawn. Let's just hope it doesn't get any effing darker.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 30, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

It's like DAMN when is enough is enough!?!?!?!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 30, 2010 4:20 PM

Well look at it this way: If you can make it through the start of the '97 (???not totally sure) or the '88 or '89 start to the O's season (???again not sure) you can make it through anything.

Chin up my man. At least this year we have coaching and QB'ing talent/upgrades. That's got to mean something.

Also, if you are in fact cursed....start rooting for Dallas.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 30, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 30, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Even if there's a fire?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 30, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 30, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

It's like DAMN when is enough is enough!?!?!?!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 30, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, and the wierd thing is that the longer in goes on (all the crappiness and bad breaks), the more you are just like "Hey, I've dealt with all the crap for this long...why bail now? When things just might turn around?".

And then you get a season of Skins losing, Caps disappointing, Strasburg elbowing, Wiz not being competitive...and then the next year you are like "Hey, I've dealt with all the crap for this long...why bail now? When things just might turn around?"

Repeat.

Posted by: p1funk | August 30, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

re the advantage of playing on thursday:

DOH!...gee...sorry...i didn't realize everyone played on thusday....

(sheepishly withdraws comment...)

in fact we're one of only six teams to start as late as 10pm eastern...we're at a disadvantage!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 30, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse