Posted at 5:44 PM ET, 12/ 2/2010

Did Portis come back too soon?

By Jason Reid

It is unclear whether running back Clinton Portis, who underwent season-ending surgery this week to repair abdominal and groin muscles, suffered further damage by returning to the field too soon, Coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday.

"How do you know for sure?" Shanahan said after practice at Redskins Park.

Addressing reporters for the first time since undergoing the procedures Tuesday in Philadelphia, Portis explained that his abdomen, torn when he recently returned to the lineup after sitting out for six weeks, and groin muscles were both fixed by Dr. William Meyers, a Philadelphia-based sports hernia specialist.

The nine-year veteran initially suffered a third-degree groin tear during a 17-12 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles on Oct. 4. The abdomen tear occurred early during a 19-16 overtime victory against the Tennessee Titans on Nov. 21.

On Thursday, Portis said again that he was comfortable with his decision to initially forgo groin surgery, which would have ended his season, in an attempt to provide a spark for the team. And Shanahan indicated he was comfortable with how the Redskins handled the situation.

Shanahan spoke with Dr. James Andrews, the Redskins senior orthopedic consultant, and proceeded cautiously with Portis.

"Dr. Andrews told me that when he [Portis] got hurt the second time, it was a different area," Shanahan said. "It was above the groin in the abdominal area. I was just going by what he said."

At this stage of his career, Shanahan said he is "usually pretty careful with that [permitting injured players to play]. I mean, Clinton wanted to come back in the Philly game [on Nov. 15], and wanted to come back in the worst way, and I said, 'No, you're not coming back.' Then I really had to sit down with him and the doctors and I said, 'Hey, that's my gut.' I've just been in this thing too long.

"Then when he came back the next week, he was hurt. Maybe we should have kept him out another week because he did get hurt. You don't know for sure. But it was really an awkward position where he got hurt. Was he compensating for his groin area? Maybe he was. You don't know for sure. But if I'm gonna err, it's usually I'm gonna keep a guy away as I get older, instead of bringing him back too early."

By Jason Reid  | December 2, 2010; 5:44 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sixteen players on Redskins injury report
Next: Jon Embree has not yet finalized deal to coach Colorado

Comments

How come states that vote democrat typically have a wider income gap between the rich and the poor than states that vote republican?

Why are democrats trying to eliminate the middle class?

Why do democrats hate business owners who at the very least provide jobs or healthcare or etc. yet they love vain entertainers who only care about themselves?

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Cue the two highschoolers who take moderation for granted and repeatedly use the terms NERD or DIVEASS for only about the 1000th time today and every other f*cking day they are here.

in 5...4...3...2...

sheesh

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | December 2, 2010 4:38 PM

Your "boys" -- Tweedledee and Tweedledum -- are gone by around 4:00. They both arrive the same time and leave the same time because, well, they're sock puppets: one guy with two screen names who thinks he's a one-man Click and Clack.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

And no sooner do Tweedledee and Tweedledum check out than the Mad Hatter, the king of sock puppets, takes their place. Chia_Pet = Debaitor.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

i have no idea, im not a doctor

but it's his job to play football and i commend him for at least trying to comeback asap, either way we are a mediocre football team

blocking is a critical part of the game of football

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 2, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Is he really slated to make $7.7M next year guaranteed? Did we ever learn who the genius was behind that contract? Vinny, Dan or both?

Posted by: NYPDee | December 2, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

And I wouldn't say I'm thrilled, exactly, that this is the umpteenth season in a row that we've had the same two and only two established threats at receiver.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 2, 2010 5:48 PM

I'm definately in support of adding another WR to compliment Moss or even supplant him as the #1, so that Moss can become the #2. I also would like to see continued development of Armstrong and F. Davis. It would also be nice to see in the remainder of the season what kind of potential Austin has, and of course, the jury is still out on Kelly (but I have severe doubts). I don't think WR is one of our biggest concerns for the next year or two. If we can find ONE GUY who can be a real-deal #1 or #2, our WR corps (coupled with the TEs) will become a strength.

To me, our biggest needs are at O-line, D-line, RB and Safety. If the O-line gets fixed, we may just find that RB is not so much of an issue.

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 2, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

1) How could we ever know if Portis came back too soon?

b) What the hell is sports going to do when Dr. James Andrews retires?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 2, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Isn't North Korea the perfect example of what life on earth would be like without religion?

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

How come Debaitor can't tell the difference between a sports blog and a political blog?

Why does Debaitor think anyone pays attention to anything he/she/it types?

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 2, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Just got done reading the comments from the hicks benching, are you kidding me.J.Brown The guy cost us nothing we swapped picks in the same round. Is he hurt yes but will he stabalize RT next year yes. Moron dive asses, your the same wishy washy idiots that loved the move, now hate the move and will love it again this time next year. Cant fix the OL in one year it takes years. That move was genius. You think they didnt know he wasnt all the way back. IDIOTS

Posted by: BleedBurgandGold | December 2, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Nate...

You really think this team is an under achiever?

How so? We are bereft of talent on both lines and undergoing a complete systemic change on both sides of the ball and the Front Office.

I'd say anything close to .500 this year is in fact over achieving.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

doesn't debaitor make an ass of him/her/itself ?

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh geez, here we go again with the sound and the fury.

Either publish the IP address or STFU, beep, cuz this assumptive b.s. you're putting out there is truly getting old.

...and in the meantime, I hope that ulcer is making steady progress on your stomach lining, eating a hole straight to your black heart.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 2, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Is life in Taliban ruled central Asia a perfect example of religion leading the people?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

WG, not underachieving relative to my expectations -- since the offseason I've been hoping for 8-8 and expecting them to finish there or maybe 7-9 -- but underachieving in the sense of losing games they coulda-woulda-shoulda won. This past Sunday being a prime example.

Absolutely on board with you that this is a rebuilding year and so forth. But that doesn't mean I should set aside my disappointment in some of the losses this team has endured at the hands of bad teams. Especially in light of this team's wins over good teams.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 2, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Debaitor | December 2, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Do your balls resemble shriveled raisins? Magic 8 ball says yes.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Is North Korea Republican or Democrat? I'm thinking of moving there.

Posted by: NYPDee | December 2, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@ Nate...

Well said, and I understand.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Portis did come back too soon from an individual perspective,

but as a team player the Tennessee game was critical. IF we were going to make a run it had to start there.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 2, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 2, 2010 5:48 PM

I submit that if McNabb could ever hit him in stride, Anthony Armstrong would by now be considered an established threat at receiver.

One of my big hopes for this offseason is that McNabb will get a better feel for his receivers and improve his timing.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 2, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

2-0 when Portis tears a muscle this season

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 2, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

And that's not really meant as a big knock against McNabb. That instinctive feeling for timing is developed by experience.

Case in point, Mark Rypien in 1990 versus Rypien in 1991.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 2, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

anyone notice debaitor rhymes with the hater

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 2, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm a voting democrat and I don't have a tax paying job. ie I sell weed.

I do however have a family, a home, a car, fancy clothes, all the newest and coolest technology has to offer. and I have weed.

Considering the above, why would I even consider getting a job?

Thank you democrats and tax paying citizens. and eff you repubs for trying to take away my shine.

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Thank you democrats for giving me a check and free healthcare every month.

My weed smoking/tax paying customers appreciate it.

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Do idiot haters really think that I come up here and make this stuff up?

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 7:13 PM |

There are more dems in California yet marijuana is still illegal here. So piss off free loader.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey debaitor,

Ya know, I used to be one of your paying customers, but I quit smoking the cheebah some time ago (cuz of a four letter word that rhymes with "jerk.")

And incidentally, did you know that THC increases estrogen levels? Funny in that within 3 months of passing on the puff puff pass, I got my GF pregnant. Also found that not being constantly stoned dovetails rather nicely with being an responsible adult in the world, and all.

But if you believe in living in a state of suspended adolescence...

puff, puff, puff.

eh?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 2, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm all on the Portis came back too soon -- and Shanny should have known better. Portis hadn't even spent a practice week at full speed. It common to injure areas close by an earlier injury, because the adjacent muscle groups can't be worked out. If you break a leg, the whole leg has to recover, not just the broken bone.

Anyway, its over for Portis unless he rethinks his career. He was always a mixed blessing. Sometimes, he was magnificent, as he was in the 5 game win streak to get us to the playoffs in Gibbs 2.0. Other times, he was toxic.

A lot of people ding him for the crazy personality stuff, but don't count me in that group. That was fine by me.

To me, Portis was a great talent who was great some of the time when he could have been great all of the time.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I smoke mad weed n still got my GF pregnant

SUPER SPERM!!!

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 2, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I smoke mad weed n still got my GF pregnant

SUPER SPERM!!!

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 2, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Chia, your argument for not smoking weed is that sobriety allowed you to stupidly knock up your girlfriend?

Posted by: mack1 | December 2, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Who creates jobs?

The government?
Poor people?

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Why are democrats trying to eliminate the middle class?

Posted by: Debaitor

Are you SURE you double checked the data you presented to back your nonsense with Fox News? Oh wait, you didn't present any data.

Posted by: TheCork | December 2, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Why are democrats so lazy? Just google income gaps for states.

Then look at how the state votes.

It's actually quite simple to figure out that states who vote democrat have a wider income gap than states that vote republican.

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Washington DC and New York obviously top the list.

And they are as liberal as it gets

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Zest,

"He was tough as nails and gave 100% on Sunday. What he did the rest of the week didn't always make him the best he could be on Sunday."

maybe the wear and tear of practice wouldn't have made him better, IMO just a bunch a cry babies wanted him to practice, the same cry babies that said he's lost his burst due to wear and tear.

I trust Portis in whether or not he needed to practice vs. Rest for Sunday. He's the real deal we're all just speculatin' and hatin'

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 2, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Wear and tear happens in games, most of practice is not full tackling. And when coming back from injury like that you need to ensure you can play for a full week at full speed so any setbacks can be more minor and on the practice field (more controlled), vs. season ending in the game.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | December 2, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Do your balls resemble shriveled raisins? Magic 8 ball says yes.

This is funnier than Dave Chappelle after the second bong hit.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Do your balls resemble shriveled raisins? Magic 8 ball says yes.

This is funnier than Dave Chappelle after the second bong hit.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Dehaiter,

why don't you go to church or pray for more wars or something?

Isn't there a soldier's funeral you should be holding an anti-gay rally at?

I'm liberal. I don't wear sandals, I don't smoke weed, when I was unemployed I received no benefits... went from the tech industry to construction. I was captain of my football team in HS, played Div I football after that and I'm about the nastiest MFer I've ever met.

If you want to bring your John Wayne/Confucius BS over, you're welcome to. I'd be happy to stuff your keyboard up your tight, assumptive, lying, God-fearing ass.

Believe me, God isn't the only thing you ought to be fearing. You idiot. This is a football blog. Stuff your BS up your mother's hole.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 2, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Iggles v. Texans

Given the fact that neither team has a good defense, our predicted score is:

Philadelphia 59

Houston 62

...and that's at halftime.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I think the time has come for Clinton Portis to pack it in. His body just can't take it anymore. Remember Shawn "China Doll" Springs? Season after season the guy was hurt. His body was shot.
He went up to New England and that didn't last long. There comes a time in an NFL player's career where the body, because of the wear and tear, and a multitude of injuries just can't hold up anymore. This is the state that CP finds himself in now.

He wants to come back next year. For what?
I'll bet top dollar if he does, by the mid-point, if not sooner, he will be injured again.

Time to face reality and realize it's over. He did some great things and was a tough SOB, and his pass blocking was the best of any back I've seen. The mistake he made was not maximizing his talent when he was at the top of his game and in his prime. He'll probably regret that the rest of his life. Thanks Clinton but it's time to turn the page and start the next chapter of your life.

God Bless.

Posted by: 72Redskins | December 2, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

As far as weed, I'd be careful, a work buddy just confessed to me this past weekend that after smoking weed he can't get it up.

I'll stick to my vodka and beer.

Posted by: 72Redskins | December 2, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if it was mack1 or smack1 (pretty sure it was one of the acks) that said Vick looks like an alien with his helmet off.

It's true, he's one weird looking subhuman.

I cheer for his helmet to be ripped off with his head still in it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003

except he clearly didn't get in shape for the 2009 season and wasn't ready to go when the season started.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Did Portis come back too soon?

The failing issue in this rhetorical question is that it assumes that Clinton Portis has been a 1,400 yard running back for the past three seasons.

He hasn't been.

And because he hasn't been, J Reid is hard-pressed to make an issue out of Portis coming back from injury too soon.

I mean, how do you make the case that a guy who hasn't completed consecutive seasons in back to back years is somehow valuable?

Various anonymous backs (Quinton Ganther thru James Davis) have had more collectice carries as redskin running backs than Portis.

The better thread is, "Has Portis Reached the End of the Line as a Redskin?"

The answer, "Yes."

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 2, 2010 6:41 PM

Chia_Pet's IP address: 24.136.58.4
Debaiter's IP address: 24.136.58.4

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

The texans suck.

They are like the dumb blonde who steals a car and hides it behind a chain link fence thinking she won't be caught.

They have some talent and tease.

But ultimately: they suck.

It must be a texas thing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

The Eagles look like the varsity, the Texans look like the junior varsity.

YAWN.

Posted by: 72Redskins | December 2, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

The better thread is, "Has Portis Reached the End of the Line as a Redskin?"

The answer, "Yes."

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 8:36 PM |

An even better thread is "How Many More Times Can We Rehash This Crap?"

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

.......

In the wake of Derrion Albert's death, I find myself increasingly disillusioned by the current state of Black America. While African Americans comprise 13.5 percent of the population, 43 percent of all murder victims in 2007 were African America. Of the 43 percent who were murdered, 93.1 percent were killed by African Americans. Was it always like this? The answer is Unequivocally: NO. The disproportionate crime rates, illegitimacy rates, divorce rates, drugs abuse, and disproportionate incarceration rates didn't begin until liberals took over the Black Community in the 60s. Before liberals came and negated the influence of the Black father, over 80 percent of black children in 1960 were born in wedlock. In 1940 the illegitimacy rate amongst Blacks was 19 percent. Today, post the liberals monopoly in the poor urban areas, the illegitimacy rate is over 70 percent and almost 90 percent in the inner city. Surprisingly, between 1890 and 1940 Blacks had a marriage rate slightly higher than Whites. According toHerbert G. Gutman author of "The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom (1750-1925)"--for every 6 children under the age of under the of 6-5 of them lived in two parent households. In Harlem between 1905 and 1925, only 3 percent of all families were headed by a woman under 30. In this same time period, 85 percent of black children lived in two-parent families. The training ground for any human being begins in the home. The dynamics of the home environment can do two things: it can set the child up for failure or for success. When Patrick Moynihan, a Democrat began seeing the negative trends of entitlement programs regarding the Black Family in the 60s he wrote the "Moynihan Report". In the "Moynihan Report" he predicted that if the Black family continued to disintegrate, then there would be issues of delinquency, crime, disproportional educational outcomes, and other social problems that come when a father isn't active in a child's life.

.......

Can anybody post a link that disproves this propaganda?

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Debaitor, go back to your psych ward, bring back a mass of your disturbed buddies and call yourselves the Mass-debaitors!

Posted by: iubiquity | December 2, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

How are you going to feel in ten years when anyone earning over $50K is considered rich?

Will this be evidence that we've officially settled in liberal nirvana?

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Do your balls resemble shriveled raisins? Magic 8 ball says yes.

This is funnier than Dave Chappelle after the second bong hit.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 8:13 PM

That's funny. You know what else is funny? I used to live in Yellow Springs, OH and I'd run into Chappelle on the reg. It was usually on Wed. afternoon while I was sitting at Ye Olde Tavern bombed out of my tree. He called me "that drunk guy."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Portis can't come back too soon.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 2, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

who cares???

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 2, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a... wait a minute.

I'd rather have 90% of CP than 100% of Williams. Too soon.

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 2, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Actually a good pull by debaitor (I can't believe I said that). The lady that wrote that blog said the same thing I've been trying to say only much more eloquently. You keep people enslaved by keeping them dependent (entitlement, welfare.) You help people help themselves when you require them to depend on themselves and teach them how. Ever heard the old cliche about buying a man a fish?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

How do you feel about the Democrats latest effort to censor the Internet?

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

He did come back too soon. We should have put him on the IR and then cut him in the offseason.

He's done.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Weird...a double post but both times parts were removed. The last sentence was supposed to say that the only difference between my point and the blogs is that I was refering to ALL poor where as the blog speaks of only blacks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Not sure Schaub comes back after bouncing his brain off the turf like that.

He might come back but he might not really be back.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 2, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Until they cast off their Democrat "masters" - Black people will never be truly free.

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Embree officially accepted the Buff's job. Good for him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

A couple of random commments:

1. I don't check in regular so just found out that Wilbon is gabon. Did you know that he started off at WaPo on the city beat? His sports columns were a reflection of that.

2. WaPo should ditch the columnists it still retains. Just a bunch of old farts that nobody reads. Did you know that Thomas Boswell was writing for WaPo back when there was a baseball team in DC, name of Senators?

3. So the Buffs want to hire a tight ends coach as their next HC? Christ Almighty, they're movin up to the big time joinin the Pac 12 and they want to hire a forking position coach and Miami is stuck in the swamp, not the Florida kind, the ACC FB one, and they want to hire a guy with a SB ring. Forking unbelievable.

Posted by: DLoad | December 2, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Embree officially accepted the Buff's job. Good for him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 10:08 PM |

When was the last time a Redskins coach was coveted for ANY job? That's good news.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 9:18 PM |

And I suppose that Yellow Springs got its name from that puddle behind Ye Olde where you and all the other drunks would pee on the way to their cars.

Posted by: DLoad | December 2, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:12 PM

Jim Zorn by the Ravens. Of course, Snyder is paying his salary.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Zorn for the Ravens QB gig, scamp!

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 2, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn by the Ravens. Of course, Snyder is paying his salary.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 10:18 PM |

He wasn't a Redskin coach when they went after him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn by the Ravens

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:12 PM

Jim Zorn by the Ravens. Of course, Snyder is paying his salary.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 10:18 PM |

The thought was prob job upgrade not job downgrade. And, it ain't the Skins per se, but La CaCa was hired to write for NFL.com, def a move up from the RI swamp.

Posted by: DLoad | December 2, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm stumped. Who would it be? GG?

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 2, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm stumped. Who would it be? GG?

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 2, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn by the Ravens

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 10:25 PM

I repeat, he wasn't a Redskin coach when hired by the Yardbirds.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

He wasn't a Redskin coach when they went after him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:22 PM

Hey, Redskins were paying his salary. Before that? Gregg Williams was drawing some interest before Snyder made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm stumped. Who would it be? GG?

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 2, 2010 10:31 PM

Also not a Redskin coach when NO went after him. In any case, I was thinking alomg the lines of coveted...as in someone else wanted to elevate a Redskin coach to a higher position somewhere else. Zorn and Grilliams were fired when offered the exact same position with another team.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Er...sorry...with Zorn meant to say the exact same position before he got here. No one in their right mind would offer him a head coach job.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 10:33 PM | Report

I said coach, not some schmuch Danny was paying.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Eye reely kant speel tunite.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

scamp- I know. I was mocking beeps and smack.

Joe Bugel
Mike Martz
Norv Turner
Marvin Lewis
Marty
Mike Nolan
Grilliams

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Scamp--Gregg was getting invited to job interviews for head coach and Snyder stepped up and raised his salary and -- allegedly -- made that deal that if he wasn't the next head coach then Snyder would pay him $1 million. Now, he never had a formal offer, but it does answer your (ever changing) "When was the last time a Redskins coach was coveted for ANY job?"

ANY job has now been redefined as "promotion" and Redskins coach has now been redefined as coach currently employed by the Redskins.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

scamp- I know. I was mocking beeps and smack.

Joe Bugel
Mike Martz
Norv Turner
Marvin Lewis
Marty
Mike Nolan
Grilliams

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 10:41 PM

Stump Mitchell (Louiville)

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | December 2, 2010 10:44 PM

Ever changing huh? You don't read between the lines real well do you? The very obvious point to my statement was that our coaching has, for the most part, been terrible for a very long time and that it is kind of refreshing to see someone go after someone that is actually coaching here. If you can't see that then you are either blind or retarded. You choose. If you understood that then you're just being a dick.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, when I saw the question posed above my first thought was Marvin Lewis.

And I think Ray Rhodes may be in that group as well, of recent guys who were on the Skins' payroll and then were recruited into high positions (head coach or coordinator).

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 2, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and to your smart ass comment phuko, if a guy ain't currently coaching here then he ain't a Redskin coach. You really are a phuking prick. I can see why most people here think your a d0uche...because you actually are.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Am I being mocked on this blog? Finally!

You could blame the lack of interest in Skins coaches on the economic uncertainty.

If you preserve the tax cuts on billionnaires, they will all hire 30 or 40 defense coordinators. Problem solved.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 2, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Nate- forgot that Ray Rhodes was our D Cord. Pretty sure though that it was after he was the HC for the Eggles.

Twisi- Stump is a good pull. Southern HC?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

scamp- You've got some really thin skin..

wrambling wreck v. wrambling wreck.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Stump Mitchell (Louiville)

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2010 10:46 PM |

Some would argue that going from a NFL pos coach to HC of a Div III FB prog is an upgrade, esp pay scale wise given how gen the Skins are with the $$$ they pay their coaches.

Posted by: DLoad | December 2, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

scamp- You've got some really thin skin..

wrambling wreck v. wrambling wreck.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 11:07 PM

Got nuthin' to do with thin skin. Has more to do with him intentionally pickin' at people up here all the time. All he does is try to instigate sh!t with every dude on this board and it gets old. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a looooong time because he was a fellow wreck but it starts to get old. All that holier than thou crap is grating.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Why did Jason Reid post a new thread at 10:43? Has he ever posted a new thread on a non game day after 10?

EVER?????

I put a lot of work in on this thread for the morning crowd to debate.

Did I possibly irk Reid enough with my comments to make him create a new thread so the morning crowd will miss some of my brilliant questions?

Posted by: Debaitor | December 2, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Put me in the minority then. I think he gives as good as he takes.

There is only a select few that are truly grating.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Diesel -- I thought Rhodes went to be someone else's D coordinator when he left the Skins. Could be wrong about that.

Late night BEEPS...

* beep beep *

new post

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 2, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

What Chia means is Beep (new post)

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

scamp- I know. I was mocking beeps and smack.

Joe Bugel
Mike Martz
Norv Turner
Marvin Lewis
Marty
Mike Nolan
Grilliams

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 10:41 PM |

Some of this is dubious. Turner went from Skins HC to fired to OC, not exactly an upgrade. Marty went from Skins HC to fired to Chargers HC mainly b/c Snyder was still paying his salary, just like with Zorro and the Ravens. Bugel is ancient history. Not sure what the deal with Nolan was but he was DC with the Skins and did not leave them for a HC pos somewhere else.

Posted by: DLoad | December 2, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

That was a stupid question. Isn't it obvious he came back too soon.

Posted by: dcjazzman | December 2, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

...almost the Redskins leading rusher. May take legend Riggins on the books but always a loser on losing teams. He should of been gone long ago....ohh Sherry.

Posted by: tomass169 | December 3, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

anyone notice debaitor rhymes with the hater

It also rhymes with masturbator.

Posted by: mebail | December 3, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse