Larry Johnson, Willie Parker scheduled for future action

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan and running backs coach Bobby Turner have said since offseason workouts that the corps of running backs Washington has in camp will be evaluated on a practice-by-practice, play-by-play basis. Friday night's victory over Buffalo provided a glimpse of how that plan will be put in place during preseason games.

Incumbent starter Clinton Portis opened the game with the first offensive unit and carried six times for 22 yards. Shanahan said afterward that the plan was for Portis to play between 15 and 20 plays, and then turn it over to second-year back Ryan Torain and rookie Keiland Williams. That pair combined for 113 yards on 28 carries, including two touchdowns from Williams.

The result: veterans Larry Johnson and Willie Parker, both signed as free agents, didn't play against Buffalo. That was, Shanahan said, by design. Johnson will get the bulk of the carries in next Saturday's game against Baltimore at FedEx Field, and Parker will get the most work on Aug. 26 at the New York Jets.

"It's kind of the only way you can evaluate running backs," Shanahan said. "You just can't put them in for three or four plays and take them out."

Parker, who had spent his entire career with Pittsburgh, said Shanahan told the players of the plan on Wednesday and said, "I'm okay with it."

"You just got to play," Parker said. "It ain't really just on that one game. It's really just practicing and everything that's involved. I'm all for the challenge."

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 14, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Larry Johnson , Mike Shanahan , Willie Parker , preseason games
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb 'definitely felt comfortable' with new targets
Next: Trent Williams overcomes nerves, plays well in debut

Comments

Posted by: crzyvgs | August 14, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

What's up with K. Williams? Don't know much about him and couldn't watch the game last night. He speed, power or combo of both? I wonder if he has a legit shot at this team.....

Posted by: crzyvgs | August 14, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

1 more big note: NO INJURYS

Posted by: boysheadcoach | August 14, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

the WR battle will be interesting to watch

outside of Moss, it's tough to predict 2-5, maybe 2-6

we know what we're getting with guys like roydell, galloway, and wade

armstrong, banks, and austin had strong showings and are making a case to be on the final roster...if two of these guys make the final roster (third to practice squad...likely armstrong), you have to figure only two (maybe three if they keep six) of the following would be able to make the team: thomas, kelly, roydell, galloway, wade

i'd say thomas, kelly, and roydell

what do you all think?

Posted by: AhsanFamily | August 14, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

The lack of injuries speaks well of the off-season conditioning program and the new training staff. Hope the trend continues.

Posted by: wireman65 | August 14, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Shanfam

The wrs will be moss, thomas, galloway, austin, armstrong, banks

Kelly n wade will be cut. Kelly may be signed to practice squad, big maybe.

Although none of our wrs r making any cbs scared, I think lil shannys play calling will put some guys in space.

Also our extremely horrible return game last year is looking promising, couldn't have got much worse.

If shanny is happy with this line up at WR they may wait to try n get Jackson next yr in FA

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 14, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

RE: WR

don't sleep on Roydell, he will be on the team

moss/roydell/galloway/thomas/banks w/armstrong/austin battling for possible 6th slot and def heading to p-squad.

wade/furrey will be cut sooner than later

mk12 is done

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: crzyvgs | August 14, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse
_____________________________________________

K. Williams isn't super fast or anything, but if the Oline opens up a hole for him, no matter how small, he seemed to find it. It looked like he was running pretty low and usually didn't let first contact slow him down much

Posted by: --swb | August 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else catch Devin Thomas on the CSN post game show? His comments really made it sound like Shanahan only has him at 3rd string for motivational purposes.

According to Devin, he will likely be starting against the Ravens and will play a majority of the game. He also said he really appreciates how Shanahan is helping him along, talking to him every day, and encouraging him. He mentioned that he understands he didn't come out as strong during OTAs and minicamp and that's why he finds himself at 3rd string and that he appreciates the motivational approach from the coach.

I don't think he's going to get cut

Posted by: --swb | August 14, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: --swb | August 14, 2010 11:40 AM

Hopefully he's a shannahan gem like all those 1000 yd backs he found in Denver. Seems to have a knack for finding raw talent. Torrain looked good too.

Posted by: crzyvgs | August 14, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

-swb,

i agree that thomas makes the team, however the cat always says the right thing so i give that very little credence (clearwater revival). I mean how does he not bust his hump in OTA/minis? thats a starling admission.

that said i think he can contribute and battle to number 2...mk12...well i think the turk is coming for him.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I think the Receivers situation looks like:

Moss, Williams, Thomas, Banks, Austin and then Armstrong or Galloway ... and if its Galloway Armstrong will be practice squad.

If they want to keep Kelly (which I think they do) - they'll put him on season-ending IR. If Kelly somehow makes the team it's in place of Galloway I think.

---------------------------

The backs looks like Portis, Johnson, Torain with Williams to the practice squad but that could change a lot based on pre-season and the Westbrook wild card.

Posted by: mac2j | August 14, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Spurrier opened up his playbook to get 35. Yesterday was more about simple, consistent execution to get 42. Like the zone run blocking scheme; Lots of holes. Good call vicc. Nice to see better QB play. By the way, Soup went 3 & out twice in a row to start the game and was 1-6 at one point vs. Dal. Also saw the 'ol throw the deep ball leading the WR out of bounds down the right sideline as well as a deep ball down the left sideline that was a 50/50 ball. And the 5 yd pass on 3rd down when the team needs 7. And the middle blitz w/ sack instead of throwing quickly to check off right in front of him, 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. Soups's QB rating was 62.7. McNabb: 124, Rex: 122.5. Good start boys, keep improving! HTTR!

Posted by: Realness1 | August 14, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mac2

I'de have to agree with that sentiment. I think Williams is a development project for Shannahan but it's certainly encouraging to see some young guys looking solid last night. Not just in the running game.

Posted by: crzyvgs | August 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

the WR battle will be interesting to watch

outside of Moss, it's tough to predict 2-5, maybe 2-6

we know what we're getting with guys like roydell, galloway, and wade

i'd say thomas, kelly, and roydell

what do you all think?

Posted by: AhsanFamily | August 14, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Good question, AhsanFamily. From what I saw, I think 3 starting wr's...Moss, Roydell and DT. After last night, Banks will make roster as pr. Galloway was able to get open deep, so he might back up Moss. If Kelly can get back to running, he might just squeak on the roster. I think Armstrong and Austin make practice squad at best.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

i just dont see how mk12 makes the team. always hurt and a slow healer, bad knees, no conx to shanallen regime, they brought in a ton of guys with better resumes or young upside skills, no special teams....

and with cooley/davis and stocked backfield i dont see them carrying 6 wr, heck wouldnt be shocked if it was 4 with young smurfs to p-squad.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

-swb,

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Yeah, I agree. Holdover behavior from the Zorn days, perhaps? If that's DTs continued approach though, I think we'll find out very quickly as Shanahan isn't going to start you if you don't act like you want to start.

On that note, before the game, they did a segment with McCardell, asking him what all of the young receivers need to work on. His answer for Devin Thomas was that he needs to work on his consistency - that he needs to remember that he can beat anyone and show that every single day.

His answer for MK was that he needs to work on playing like a small receiver. He said that just because you're a big receiver doesn't mean you have to be slow out of your breaks and slow moving around.

Really though, MK just needs to get healthy...unbelievable how often this dude is injured during the offseason and training camp

Posted by: --swb | August 14, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, that explains Parker's absence...Veeee shall seeeee, mein fraushticka..

Bills fans, dudes, its only pre-season, save the going postal for the playoffs...errm, ma bad...

Posted by: frak | August 14, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Portis looked the same...stumbling as he got to the line of scrimmage. Especially the one inside the 20. If he wasn't already falling down at the line, he could have taken that one inside the 5. And the way he is carrying the ball with two arms wrapped around the stomach...ok, he's not going to fumble, but you can't be as an effective runner that way. Looking forward to seeing LJ...hope he is the main back this season.

And, we have to keep Banks. He looked really comfortable and confident back there. Anyone who make a big play or gives us an extra 10-15 yards of field position, needs to be on the team. I know he's a little small, but why not try him on kick-offs too? Could be another Percy Harvin...

Posted by: redskinbo | August 14, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree with mac2j on the RBs -- Portis, Johnson, Torain; with Parker cut and Williams to the practice squad. I don't think there is any room on the Skins roster for Brian Westbrook...

Determining the top 5 or 6 WRs is going to be a difficult decision. Right now I would go with:

Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Galloway, Banks, and Austin.

However, I like Williams, Wade, and Armstrong too... The Skins have to cut some talented players this year.

Can't wait to see how Banks looks at WR and KR. He might be the next D. Sproles type player, but taller and faster -- he even went to the same school (Kansas State).

Hopefully Kelly will be back in action this week and show the coaches why he should be on the team over Williams (I think he's better in the Redzone, at down field blocking, and as a possession WR)...

Posted by: siris | August 14, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinbo

He's a little small not unlike Sproles who has been a spark for the Chargers the last cpl years. Banks and Sproles come from the same school. Not that it matters.

Posted by: crzyvgs | August 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly will be cut. Unless his recovery is brilliant and he impresses for the next two preseason games, I don't see him surviving past Sept. 1st or 5th.

I think Santana (obviously) and Devin (I renege my earlier mixed feelings) will make it. Right now, it's just too early to completely assess the WR situation. This team is extremely fortunate to be playing two outstanding defenses in the next two preseason games. I think we will see clear separation within the group.

Despite all the talk about the age of the team, there were a lot of young guys that stood out last night.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 14, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Portis gets to start against Buffalo, while the others get the nod against Baltimore and the Jets... not exactly a level playing field, huh?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 14, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I would really like to see Torrain & Williams make the team if they keep 4 RB's. We don't need 3 players near 30... Like I've said before, if anyone has RB needs after a few weeks, try & get a 6th rounder for Parker. Of course, that's going to be hard to do if he doesn't play until the 3rd preseason game.

I think LJ makes the team unless they decide to only keep 3 RB's & decide to go youth... Maybe Keiland could be kept on the practice squad, but with his size someone might snatch him & put him on the 53 man roster.

Posted by: tony325 | August 14, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Releasing kelly is an intresting problem.....

He's a skilled dude for sure

He tears up the practice field.... then his hammy

He's got game but he can't stay healthy

I say release him n resign him to the p squad she if he ever heals if not the peace out

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 14, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"He's a little small not unlike Sproles who has been a spark for the Chargers the last cpl years. Banks and Sproles come from the same school. Not that it matters"

But the BURST on that dude, haven't seen that kind of acceleration since Darrell G..Definitely a keepa..Larry Brown, Sproles, Rock Cartwright all K. Staters..

Posted by: frak | August 14, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Brandon, what evidence is there that MK12 is that skilled? He's done.

Barring injury, LJ is in no danger of not being on final roster. Shanahan loves reclimation projects at RB (Ron Dayne anyone?) and by all accounts he has had a great camp.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

How about QB? Rexy was effective and looked comfortable. So why carry three? I'm betting Beck is camp fodder. Yeah he has potential, but do we need to carry him?

Posted by: SonofNero | August 14, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I remember an interview can't remember with who but apparantly he actually has the best "hands"

Not my opinon, I wanna see results on the field

That's why I was crying for VJackson, I still am, just internally

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 14, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Not my opinon, I wanna see results on the field

That's why I was crying for VJackson, I still am, just internally

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

MK will be vacuumed up in a heartbeat by another team if and when he's cut, just like plenty of other current Skins..Team has definitely solidified itself..

Posted by: frak | August 14, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks > Lil' Kim

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 14, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Something I didn't know: ESPN isn't the most visited sports site -- it's Yahoo by a wide margin. They've got 39 million unique visitors, vs 29 mil for ESPN and 26 mil for Fox (MSN).

Posted by: Samson151 | August 14, 2010 7:25 AM

I'd never heard of them either until the started sponsoring "Zeke's Unique Perspective." Now, they're my go-to source for anything sport-related.

Posted by: beep-beep

the gf works at Yahoo! and works with the sports folks at times. So she's talking to them about Stanley Cup hockey -- and the guy can't answer some of her hockey questions!! Her sports knowledge doesn't go very far, but we go to about a dozen Shark games, so she's up one one team.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"-How come Joe Gibbs is the ONLY coach to win a Superbowl with more than 1 QB? No other coach has done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" posted by Vicc"

Bill Parcells, NY Giants:
1986 Phil Simms
1990 Jeff Hostetler

Posted by: Samson151 | August 14, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

thinks he meant to say Gibbs is the only coach to win with 3 different Qbs

Posted by: leevi98 | August 14, 2010 9:19 AM

`

No I forgot about Parcells, funny because when I was researching, I saw it but it didn't cross my mind...I was too into tryna argue Thinker_s post.

The thrust of my argument is still strong if only two coaches have won a Superbowl with more than one QB, that stat suggests that you do at least need a QB to win a Superbowl.

Thinker_ was on here earlier in the year talking big sh!t about the Capitals. He was beating his chest and patting himself on the back b/c basically he said they wouldn't win in playoffs. Considering only one team can win the Stanley Cup a year, it ain't so hard to pick a loser rather than the winner.

I guarantee if/(when..realist) the Redskins don't win the Superbowl you can bet Thinker_ will be here to talk sh!t about Mcnabb and tell us he told us so.

Samson151 always comes correct/makes good points. Many posters here ita Thinker_...maybe I should follow suit.

Posted by: Vicc | August 14, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

thanks to all who answered my specific questions about what you saw last night.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

1 more big note: NO INJURYS

Posted by: boysheadcoach | August 14, 2010 11:17 AM
------------------------

co-sign...that's the best part about the game

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 14, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Just catching up on the jibba jabba. I can easily see where 7 WRs make the team especially if Kelly comes on. Austin and Banks could make the team as KR and PR respectively. However, my hunch is that the Skins will go with 6 WRs and that Austin end up on practice squad, Banks PR and Galloway getting cut when Kelly comes on.

Moss
Thomas
Armstrong
Williams
Kelly
Banks

Posted by: TWISI | August 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm now in the MK will be cut crowd.

Galloway had a few steps on the Corner and should have had a TD last night, but Mcnabb missed him deep. Unbelievable he can still fly!

Posted by: Vicc | August 14, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Vicc | August 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The wrs will be moss, thomas, galloway, austin, armstrong, banks

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 14, 2010 11:35 AM
-------------------------------------

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2010 11:40 AM
-----------------------------------------
Both of these are good! This is were watching!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 14, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

worth watching

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 14, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Moss obviously
Roydell will make the team as well
Banks too
That leaves two more
Thomas sucked on kickoffs
Austin didn't distinguish himself on punts
Waiting for a reason why Armstrong makes sense...
Am I crazy thinking Joey Galloway makes this team?
Thomas is on bubble gonna be a close call/probably makes it...

Moss, Roydell, Banks, Galloway, Thomas???
Austin (practice)

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 14, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

MK 12 is down the road. Armstrong, in my opinion, seems to be a dude that'll get after it and not afraid of crossing routes. MK 12 is always broken it seems.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | August 14, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

We didn't even get to see Shay Hodge in this game but he's been playing really well in practice supposedly.

I'd imagine 2 of the young prospects are headed to the practice squad which is probably 2 of either Armstrong, Austen, or Hodge. If Kelly isn't gonna make the starting roster, the only way they keep him is IR I think.

Banks looks like he makes the team as PR and backup KR probably and maybe gets in for some multi-WR sets too.

Posted by: mac2j | August 14, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse