Malcolm Kelly, Jammal Brown out for preseason opener vs. Bills

After what might have been the hottest practice of training camp yet - no cloud cover, temperatures in the upper-90s - Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan went over a little bit of what's to be expected from Friday night's preseason opener against Buffalo. Two prominent players - starting right tackle Jammal Brown and third-year wide receiver Malcolm Kelly - won't play because of injury, Shanahan said.

Brown, acquired in a trade with New Orleans, participated in some individual work Tuesday morning, but did not play during full team action because of the hip problem that has kept him out of workouts since last Wednesday. Shanahan said Brown would have a shot in the hip Tuesday afternoon.

"He's getting closer," Shanahan said. "I would anticipate him being able to go Monday, after the game, or Sunday. He's getting treatment. He's feeling better. He's going to have some type of shot in there to alleviate some of the pain, but hopefully there's not much of a setback and he can start practicing pretty soon."

Kelly's hamstring problem has cost him nearly all of training camp.

"He's just trying to get that hamstring strong," Shanahan said. "We wouldn't put him in that situation to play this quickly. But hopefully he'll be able to go next week as well. ... I've seen hamstrings last for a month. I've seen other hamstrings come back in three or four days. Obviously his was quite sore, and we'll just treat it day by day."

Defensive lineman Phillip Daniels sat out much of practice as well - not because of his groin, which was wrapped up, but because Shanahan told him to take a break.

"He's a guy that never wants to come off the field, so I've got to tell him that he can't practice, and that's what you like to do," Shanahan said. "You like to be able to tell a veteran player that, 'No, you can't go out there,' because he wants to be out there and he's got that type of mindset. If we had everybody handle himself like Daniels, we'd be in pretty good shape."

Late in practice, running back Clinton Portis went down with a tight groin and did not return, but Shanahan said he didn't think it was a major problem.

"I'm sure it's just sore," Shanahan said. "I don't think he pulled anything. He's getting treatment, so hopefully there's no setback and he'll be ready to go tomorrow."

Also, Richard Bartel, who is battling with newly acquired John Beck for the third-string quarterback job, tweaked a hamstring during team drills and didn't practice the rest of the day.

Some highlights from the 11-on-11 drills, in which the first-team offense went against the first-team defense for an extended period:

• Cornerback Carlos Rogers picked off quarterback Donovan McNabb on a deep ball intended for Santana Moss. Rogers, who has had trouble catching potential interceptions throughout his career, tipped the ball to himself and caught it as he came back to the ground.
  • Defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, continuing to work with the second unit, batted down a pass from backup quarterback Rex Grossman at the line of scrimmage.
  • Grossman, though, threw one particularly nice ball, rolling to his left and finding speedy wideout Brandon Banks deep - behind both cornerback Justin Tryon and safety Anderson Russell - for what would have been a 65-yard touchdown.
  • Place-kicker Graham Gano made nine of 12 field goals, missing only from 52 yards, 47 yards and 48 yards. He hit two other 52-yarders.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 10, 2010; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Jammal Brown , Malcolm Kelly , training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brandon Banks lines up at QB in Wildcat formation
Next: Devin Thomas aims to move up Redskins' depth chart

Comments

MrIrvin - it speaks volumes about you that you named yourself after an ex-con crackhead and spend the day spamming an internet board.

Here's one for you - Dallas has never beaten the Skins in the playoffs. Not to mention our recent 35-7 and 27-6 wins that ruined your season.

See Russ Grimm and the 83 championship game for an example.

Have a good day.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 10, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly injured...what else is new, aside from me being first.

Posted by: hinomura | August 10, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope this issue with Brown isn't going to carry over to the regular season. God help us all if Heyer is in there.

Posted by: ga8085 | August 10, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Alright rookie, you are giving too much information. Don't say that you will never throw the ball in a wild formation. Jason Reid, are you a skins fan? You may want to also be more creative in your reporting of the skin's practice plays. Don't just give away secrets to the opponents.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | August 10, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

We're not planning to run the wildcat, king, we are showing it to our D, so they are prepared for in against the Bills. So I don't think we have given away any secrets.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 10, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

The Brown situation is making me nervous. Hip problems for an OT...that just makes me queasy.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 10, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@Monkeymayonaise,

I'b do groll. I'b zust (let me take this gas mask off so you can understand me better)....

I'm no troll. I just state facts and move on. The Super Bowl odds have been set and they weren't set by me. The betting public knows we have the goods and y'all don't. You were dealt a bad hand and, unlike poker, you can't just fold and get a new one.

@iheartdallas,

You and I both know your characterization sounds more like the Deadskins fans(formerly the "Team of the South"). I see LOTS of missing teeth when the cameraman pans the crowd at UPS Stadium. Bless your hearts!

@go88irvin

Nice handle.

@Rypien11,

Beating the Deadskins in the playoffs is not pre-requisite since, quite frankly, y'all are almost never in the playoffs nowadays (did that one hurt?). You stink out loud and I've gotta put this gas mask back on before I damage my sense of smell.

General question: How much flour y'all think we need for Haynesgirth's buttermilk biscuit platter?

HTTD! (Hell To The Deadskins)!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 10, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly is a "Prominent Player"?

I don't think so. He's a 3rd stringer who has proven to be physically unsound and is likely to be gracing a UFL injury list in the next 6 months.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 10, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow, actual updates from practice!!! This is ALMOST as good as your competitor's blog over at the Examiner website.

Posted by: mmurchison | August 10, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 10, 2010 12:58 PM
------------------------------------------
I wouldn't hit the panic button quite yet. The guy is coming back from surgery and he is putting in a lot of work. If they give him a few days rest with some ice he'll be fine. If not, then maybe there is something more serious but remember, they went over MRI's, x-rays and the whole enchilada when they traded for him. If there was a chronic defect I think they would have found it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 10, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

This is nuts, did you know that Darrelle Revis is Sean Gilbert's nephew? Revis, who confides in his uncle, is holding-out for a ridiculous payday...the jets told him to stuff-it. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 10, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 10, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------

We can only hope 'they' were not the same crew that signed off on Malcolm Kelly

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 10, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Agree with whoever said that it's the Cowpukes fans from outside the DFW metroplex who are the obnoxious idiots. Troll-boy is obviously an obnoxious idiot not from Dallas. Actual locals aren't obnoxious and are merely to be pitied for their lack of choice in pro football clubs. E.g. I wore a Redksins tee for an entire day once in Dallas -- everyone looked, no one said a word. Nice people!

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 10, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Yeah ur right. Still, something chronic (eg AH's sore knee) is so damn irritating, you know, four to six games a year the dude sits.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 10, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 10, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

When was the surgery? I remember him saying he could have come back for N.O. in the playoffs last year...

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 10, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Capers getting some love... redskinsblog tweet says he is looking much better and has better hand placement.

Capers has a lot of upside, he was an athlete first who converted to OT in college after playing TE. Seems like a prototypical Shanahan OLineman. Will definitely have to watch him Friday night, he is the anti-heyer... lumbering buffoon who always gets beat off the first step. Hoping the sports bar will have the game.

And as forecast, all of Oahu sports radio is now gaga for Raiders camp. I crap you not, EVERY local show, the morning guy, the lunch hour guy, and the afternoon guys all had segments on Colt this and Colt that with the raiduhs. And you have not heard cult of colt pimpin' prognostication until you have heard it coming from a local caller in the birthplace of The Cult. And I probably missed most of the chitta chatta, as I just happened to be on the road during each time frame for about ten minutes. They are in a frothy lather HOPING the raiduhs pokes game will be on, and are EXCITED because the pokes get a lot of national coverage. Yee fing Hah.

ps Irvin... you low rent skank banging caine sniffin azz hat... did you lose your way now that espn recognizes that their ex athletes have to actually be able to coherently communicate to the masses if tehy wants to be on tv?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise

I'm with you. Getting a shot for pain isn't a good sign, either. That's usually pretty far down on the list of things you try. Jamaal Brown is a huge deal for this team -- and his health is among the biggest concerns for the team.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

J-Brown def a concern, but have to think positive when its still August. Paging Leevi?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 10, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

MK has deservedly earned the "injury-prone" rap. My question is if anybody recalls any young players that were "injury-prone" that grew out of it and became successful, relatively healthy, players? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Once an injury-risk, always an injury-risk or do we simply forget that players once held that label?

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 10, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Amaranthpa, Fred Taylor might answer your question.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 10, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Jamaal Brown is definitely becoming more and more of a concern. I don't like the sound of painkilling shots in early August just to manage pain. I hope Shanahan and co. do with Brown what they say they were doing with Haynesworth -- making sure he's in the best shape possible to withstand the rigors of a full season.

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

So there is one QB in the league who throws balls that Carlos Rogers can catch and they now play on the same team.... maybe they should move Rogers to WR!

Posted by: TBDog | August 10, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Cornerback Carlos Rogers picked off quarterback Donovan McNabb on a deep ball intended for Santana Moss. Rogers, who has had trouble catching potential interceptions throughout his career, tipped the ball to himself and caught it as he came back to the ground."

And JR should have bolded this bullet or, better yet, made it its own post topic. This is perhaps the biggest storyline of camp so far (and I am only being halfway facetious!).

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 10, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

A shot is not a good sign. It would not surprise me if he was in and out of the line up all year. As big offensive linemen I can't imagine it is easy coming back from hip surgery. He may never fully recover. Then again he might come back and do very well this year. The uncertainty is why he came so cheaply. If he is not able to play it is going to tough sledding.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 10, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

As for the Raiders and Colt? Maybe Al Davis is learning from Dan Snyder. Sign the guy who can sell jerseys!! Can't say if it will help the team win games, but if he's adding to the bottom line ... well ... there you go :)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

HTTD! (Hell To The Deadskins)!
Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 10, 2010 12:59 PM

OK. Im gonna bite. Cause my SECOND favorite thing to a Skins win is a cowboys loss. I know, I know Cracky. I dont get to see my first favorite very often.
But to your point about playoff wins. The Skins and Cowboys since 1996. Not much for either. But the Cowboys with 1. And the Skins with 2. SO SHUT YER PIE HOLE ABOUT THAT ONE. YOU LOSE! And since Vegas odds are such a great indicator for who wins the SB... Haha. I actually hope the Boys make it if the Skins cant. AND GET DRUBBED by the AFC rep. That would be pretty sweet.

BTW, its so apparent you are regular troll using a different handle to rile up your neighbors. Which I'm cool with. Any chance I get to insult the most annoying POS team in sports...

JUST STOP STICKING Y'all in every other phrase. Its CLEARLY unnatural for you and insulting to those of us who really are from the South. TAKE CARE NOW Y'ALL!

Posted by: Club320 | August 10, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 10, 2010 1:36 PM

Trev Alberts? Oh yeah, no.

Ki-Jana Carter? Oh yeah, no.

Steve Emptman? Oh yeah, no.

Brian Bosworth? Oh yeah, no.

Tony Mandarich? Oh yeah, no.

(PS - All have been linked to 'roids)

What about veteran players that get hurt and couldn't come back?

Joe Montana?
Troy Aikman?
Jess Atkinson?

and my favorite....

Joey T. AKA Norman Einstein

If only LT could have broken Theisman's jaw.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 10, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"A shot is not a good sign."

As long as there is no damage it should be fine. They are probably going to give him some kind of anti-inflamatory.

If he has not played anything since his surgery this shouldn't be a big deal.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 10, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TBDog

CR22 didn't catch McNabb's passes when Donovan wore that other jersey ... of course, CR22 wasn't in the vicinity on some of those TD passes.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I still can't believe the Albright situation. Is this a money thing? Are the 'Skins playing 'chicken' with Albright or something? If they don't watch out, he will get snapped up by another team.

Get it? snapped up? Man, these painkillers are money.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 10, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Kelly is a BUST!

8-8

Posted by: DCFanatic | August 10, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Her mrirvin88 u gonna be at the season opener???

You kno week one???

Ill be there laughin my @ss off when dallas starts there "super bowl" run with a loss

Mcnabb is fired up after 3 losses last yr.....( eagles d blew it)

Hopefully you can read this post before your welfare runs out.....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 10, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amaranthpa

Jimmy Smith missed most of his first two seasons with a broken leg and an appendectomy or something. Went on to do pretty big things catching Brunell bombs in JAX.

Posted by: SMACK1 | August 10, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I think this is about right. Shanahan knows how important this guy is, and it's not like he's on crutches.

He's doing individual drills, so obviously he can move around and run.

If the regular season started tomorrow, he would play.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 10, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

and my favorite....

Joey T. AKA Norman Einstein

If only LT could have broken Theisman's jaw.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

Most people never saw the 2nd art of the story. Apparently Joey T went to school with Norman Einstein, who was the valedictorian at his HS. So, he did think Norman was a genius.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amaranthpa

It depends. Sometimes a player will blow out a knee or break something and come back to have a good career. Then you have the players who are constantly injured but can never point to the one big season ending injury. Those guys tend to not pan out as there body just can't handle the wear and tear. I think MK falls in that category. Fragile Fred seems to be the exception. The problem with Kelly is that he has not shown anything that will make team want to keep around to see if he gets over the injuries.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 10, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

and my favorite....

Joey T. AKA Norman Einstein

If only LT could have broken Theisman's jaw.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2010 2:10 PM |

I went to school with a guy named Richard Pryor and he wasn't funny at all. Theisman reminds us more times than we care to think, either directly or indirectly, that he is a freaking, Notre Dame genius.

He's a toothless retard for making the brain-fart. Besides, why would someone other than an utter retard pimp the Mark Mosley, single-bar facemask?

The funniest part of the whole thing is, he must not even know who Albert Einstein is or else he might have never thought of Norman in the first place. Are you willing to bet that Theisman thought that everyone watching that game knew Norman? I think youhave been duped, sir.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 10, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------

They'll sign him after a few bad snaps costs the Skins a few games. You know, when it's too late. That's if he is still available.

Posted by: jtrip132211 | August 10, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"JUST STOP STICKING Y'all in every other phrase. Its CLEARLY unnatural for you and insulting to those of us who really are from the South."
-------------------------------------

"Y'all" is insulting to anyone that speaks English.

Posted by: jtrip132211 | August 10, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

(continued)

What Cowboys fans have in common:

16. For them, the commercial featuring a urinating "Troy Barkman" is Oscar worthy cinema.

17. They aren't aware of the fact that the Dallas star design was drawn by a proctologist who was working to create a simple way to draw an exceedlingly tight bunghole.

18. The belief that Jerry Jones and Al Davis are not the same person.

19. Funerals are where you go to find dates as the idea of hooking up with your cousin at a Family Reunion is passe.

20. They don't know that Wade Phillips is Mr. Phillips' son, which means he's just another Bum.

21. The land where the old Texas Stadium once stood has been converted into the place where Michael Irvin will bury the details of his various arrests.

22. Golden Richards, the inventor, was lucky enough to have an undesirable type of shower named after him.

23. Emmitt Smith's HOF speech has been translated into English, and now reads, "I'm garbage, bro', trust me."

24. #17 (again)

25. They believe that Dez Bryant's mom is not a prostitute.

"She's just a hoe," a cowboy fan will tell you.

"Which is why she is one of us!"

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 10, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 10, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Mike, stabbed anybody else in the neck recently?

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 10, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

It's just like you lunkheads to bite the hand that feeds you. I'm trying to keep y'all from getting your hearts stomped this season and this is the thanks I get?

@Club320,

I write the way I speak. If you were really from the South, you'd know that different regions speak differently. Duh!
I said the Deadskins are rarely in the playoffs. I didn't say anything about playoff wins. We can't beat the Deadskins in the playoffs if the Deadskins don't make the playoffs. You're about as smart as a box of rocks, aren't you?

@brandon_in_cali,

We'll win the first the game this year because we're playing a division III college team - UDC (that's University of Deadskin College). We'll win going away. The networks might not even show the game because it will be over right after kickoff. Now stop the trash talk (you don't see me doing it, do you?).

@rufus_t_firefly,

Not recently. But I bet Haynesgirth has stabbed a towering stack of hotcakes (and didn't miss one!). I'm pretty sure McNabb hasn't stabbed anything though. Too inaccurate. And he's got the shakes from being up in age.

I think I know why it smells like hot garbage on this board - Philly took their trash out (McNabb) and Danny Snyder gave up a second rounder for it! Change your name to the DC Cadavers. You'll sell a lot more merchandise.

I can't keep coming on this DI board to bat down you all's silly statements. It's like making a Dollar wait on a Dime - it just doesn't make sense.

September 12. Peace (Y'all).

HTTD! (Hell To The Deadskins)!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 10, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

say goodbye, kelly

Posted by: bestmick1 | August 10, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

MrIrvin88:

Seriously, reading your comments hurt because I can just picture a greasy chin, 1/2 a biscuit hanging out of your mouth while googling witty comments...which really aren't good at all. I would give you credit if you had any good comebacks but you simply don't. Your Cowgirls may be good this year, they may be really bad. We'll see how Free hold up against arguably the best right side DE and LB in the league.

Posted by: P00P | August 10, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 10, 2010 3:28 PM

Close your mouth and miraculously the smell will go away. Make sure you come back on September 13, okay? Humble pie will be served.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | August 10, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

FACEBOOK USERS.....HELP GET THIS MESSAGE OUT. JOIN THE THE JOE JACOBY FOR HOF GROUP ON FACEBOOK. Seriously, no way Jacoby isn't in the hall already with how he played, how much his teams won, and who he had to block. If facebook can get Betty White on SNL, maybe it can do something useful like get #66 the credit he deserves.

Posted by: factor71 | August 10, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@ MrIrvin88,
I hear your mouth is like a freezer, everybody hangs their meat in it! Just like a cowpattie fan soft and full of S.H.I.T.!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 10, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

MrIrvin88:

Posted by: P00P | August 10, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

But not Poopy-McPoop.

MrIrvin88. I disagree with your opinions. But I do have to admit, you are funny.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 10, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the up-to-date information about the team injury issues!

Just a comment on one of the side notes...
I'm SO glad to hear that Graham Gano is excelling in his place kicking duties so far in training camp. I was disappointed to hear he was signed as an undrafted free agent last season to our crosstown rivals, the Ravens. As a UVA football fan, I can recall watching him nail field goals in his sleep in college NOT TO MENTION possessing some of the most accurate punting abilities I have ever seen. He may not have the biggest leg, but he surely possesses the ability to become an asset to our team as an accurate place kicker and, more importantly, a coffin-corner punter. Hopefully the 'skins will wake up soon and realize the benefit he can have on our team.

Thanks again for the constant updates!

- uvaman

Posted by: uvaman9 | August 11, 2010 3:55 AM | Report abuse

Nice knowin ya Malcolm. Perhaps we'll see ya down the road wearin Raider Black & Silver....

Posted by: wagenstill | August 11, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse