Portis isn't likely to be cut from Redskins' roster

Judging from the comments on our recent post about probable cuts, some of you were confused/upset that we did not include running back Clinton Portis on the list.

Portis was not included because we believe he will be on the roster when the season starts. In fact, the Redskins plan to bring back Portis, Coach Mike Shanahan said during the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

But Shanahan's comments aside, we don't believe Portis will be released today for one major reason: money. There are no cap ramifications to releasing a player in 2010 because the season will be uncapped.

That's not to say that Portis is a lock for next season's 53-man roster. Shanahan has scheduled a minicamp to take place before April's draft. If Shanahan doesn't like what he sees out of Portis's offseason commitment and attitude, the Redskins could try to do something at that time. (And it's in Portis's interest to show up at the voluntary workouts; his contract includes huge bonus money just for attending.)

The Redskins, however, would still owe Portis the remaining guaranteed portion of his contract - and that's the problem. Portis is one of only six Redskins believed to have guaranteed contracts for the 2010 season.

He last renegotiated his deal in March 2008, receiving a signing bonus of almost $9.4 million. Under the terms of that deal, in addition to the signing bonus, Portis was paid more than $2.35 million in salaries and bonuses by the end of the 2009 season.

Of Portis's $7.2 million base salary in 2010, $6.4 million is guaranteed. And he also is due roster and workout bonuses totaling about $507,000.

The Redskins do not want to pay Portis almost $7 million to sit at home. That's why he wasn't on our list of potential cuts.

By Jason Reid  |  March 4, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Samuels retires from playing, turns to coaching
Next: Sproles no longer a free-agent possibility for Redskins

Comments

I think he will be our first mincamp cut.

Maybe to send a message to certain malcontents who wish to whine instead of ball.

Posted by: Zeebs | March 4, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Keep Portis

Posted by: Vicc | March 4, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Portis/Fargas/Ganther in a rotational backfield.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 4, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm in the minority, but I hope his vision has cleared and he can give us one more year at a high level.
I'm not in the locker room, so I can ignore the cancer question -- bottom line is that he can be a lot of fun to watch on Sunday.

Posted by: daggar | March 4, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

true daggar,

i was thinking that recently, how i used to be so high on him... dont know where it turned for me...

Posted by: Zeebs | March 4, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

You are not a real fan unless you watched the miracle in Dallas live....
...And still had faith we had a shot!
Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse
That rules me out.
I saw it live but I was thinking "Why the $#@! am I watching this $#!+?" up until the last 4 minutes.
Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2010 2:37 PM

I had lost my voice from screaming “PUT RAMSEY IN!!!” all night. Still thought he was a better QB at that point, but I’ll take the win. Classic.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 4, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

$6.4 million guaranteed means he's either in the backfield, playing Madden with Vinny, or scrubbing toilets, but UNregardless, he's not leaving the organization.

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins do not want to pay Portis almost $7 million to sit at home."

That's what I said. Who's the f'er that ridiculed me?

Posted by: Salinas1 | March 4, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

freid,

Matthews and best, both expected to go in the first round yes?

zeebs, I think both are expected to go between 30 and 40. Both ran sub 4.4 40's(2 of the fastest 40's for rb's at combine) and both are elusive backs. I see a lot of value in either one of them, and I think one or the other would fall to #37.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 4, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

You are not a real fan unless you watched the miracle in Dallas live ...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 2:23 PM

What if you dozed off and only woke up in time for the replay of the first TD? Real fan or Memorex fan?

What if you asked yourself "Wow, how did Brunell throw for that long TWICE?"? Real fan or Memorex fan?

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Dammit! I was hoping that ESPN's blip that Portis may be cut was correct. Id rather have Jamal Lewis or Thomas Jones than Portis. I dont think he is done, he just needs to be done here.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 4, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I think he will be our first mincamp cut.

Posted by: Zeebs | March 4, 2010 2:39 PM

That would be Carlos Rodgers, assuming we don't get any trade offers.

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

UNregardless, he's not leaving the organization.

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2010 2:46 PM

You didn't go to the University of Maryland, so you know better than to write UNregardless. You have to either write regardless or UNregardFULL.

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

But there is the rub. I dont think our new FO will over pay. they will try at a reasonable price and if they are the highest, then they get him, if not, find someone else.

i guess i am saying send him an offer, at the very least.

Posted by: Zeebs | March 4, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

OK, i agree with you now, zeebs. I love Sproles, I'm just afraid he's asking too much. And like someone already pointed out, MD likes AA. Coach 'im up, Coach!

Posted by: frediefritz | March 4, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

jamal lewis?? why not see if Trung Candidate has anything left?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 4, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

yeah, 'cause there were all these OTHER redskins balln' like crazy... wait.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

MD likes AA. Coach 'im up, Coach!
supposed to read..."MS likes..."

Posted by: frediefritz | March 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

6-2 325 sounds perfect for a 3-4 NT. Is he a run stuffer? I don't know anything about him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 4, 2010 2:16 PM

From what I can tell he's better versus the run, but I wouldn't call him a run stuffer. He's inconsistent, but has some talent.

Posted by: TWISI | March 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll never forget it...I was jumping around like a 12 year old girl. Especially loved the looks on tuna and jerrah's faces...priceless!

Posted by: stevek20147 | March 4, 2010 2:30 PM

So that was YOU and not Snyder? (at the 1:13 mark)

@Sween and ETrod - ofcourse it was all tongue-in-cheek

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan let him go before, he won't hesitate for an older slower CP.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | March 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Portis is better than Jamaal Lewis and Thomas Jones....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Jones, maybe, Lewis is DUN however....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

You are not a real fan unless you watched the miracle in Dallas live....
...And still had faith we had a shot!
Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

At the time, I was working two jobs, and convinced myself that Brunell was not going to move the team beyond the 50 ... so I chose balance in my life.

Of course, 15 minutes after I went to sleep, my son called, screaming "Redskins Win - Redskins Win" - I was sure he was lying, or I was hallucinating

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | March 4, 2010; 2:30 PM ET

Jason Reid wasn't paying attention in his economics course when they explained the concept of sunk cost. Jason, that money's gone and putting Portis on the team won't get the money back.

Portis won't be here opening day, and its questionable whether they'll even waste the $570,000 on roster and workout bonuses.

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Pipe down Portis aint going anywhere anytime soon. Jamal Lewis! Yikes...

Posted by: Stu27 | March 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

At the time, I was working two jobs,

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 4, 2010 2:58 PM

JohnD--We're all working two jobs, but one of them is posting on Redskins Insider.

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

that's weird, that's kind of exactly what I said to Diesel the other day, if you have to pay him anyway unless and until he goes TO on us why wouldn't you bring him to camp. At worst he's a reliable #3 back.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 4, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I think we'll first go after Dunta Robinson tonight then Dansby. Not so high on Peppers.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | March 4, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

CP will play for 'skins in '10 season. Not that I'd want that but...........................

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 4, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

So if I read this right, from a financial perspective of his salary, it makes no difference if we keep him or cut him now, later or next year. That means JR is correct that he won't be on this cut list. It also means that it frees up the coaches to make the decision on whether he makes the team (or starts) almost completely on merit (what he has left in the tank + attitudinal considerations). It will be interesting to watch how Coach S treats Portis through the spring and summer (and maybe through the season). I maintain that Portis can contribute to this team (not 7 mil worth of contributions mind you) and their running back friendly offense. He is arguably the best blocking back in the league (which might prove handy for an offensive line challenged team) and might still be a productive, albeit not breakaway, back. Since we are paying the 7 mil regardless, let's see what he has.

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 4, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Thomas Jones is solid but he is getting up there in years and carries. We need some f'n speed and youth in our backfield.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | March 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

At worst he's a reliable #3 back.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 4, 2010 3:01 PM

We'll let you sit down with Clinton and explain to him that he's a #3 back. Please put the little chat on YouTube.

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

sween, i replied to you on the last fan... get out of here.

Posted by: Zeebs | March 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

last thread... that is

Posted by: Zeebs | March 4, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I think we'll first go after Dunta Robinson tonight then Dansby.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | March 4, 2010 3:02 PM |

If we were going after Dunta Robinson, we'd just go ahead and give Carlos Rodgers a four-year contract.

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

LS - Dunta can intercept. Los can't.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | March 4, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 4, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse
I agree, amar. Until we have 3 better rb's on the roster, or until CP causes problems in camp, he should be there and let's see what he can do.

To ls, CP is not som much a sunk cost as a free look-see. True, the 7 mil is gone, but he doesn't cost us anything to try him out.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 4, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I am not a fan of what Portis has become, especially in terms of attitude, but so long as the guy has anything left (I think he does) and is more or less "with the program", it hardly makes sense to pay him, as the 'Skins must, but not have him on the roster. If he is keeping a better player off the roster, that is a different matter, but I don't see that as a problem at this point. I am less worried about him being a clubhouse cancer because MS is known to run a tight ship and I don't think he will let that happen.

Posted by: manlius1 | March 4, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Portis should retire because of the concussions. He can't, though, because if he did he might have to forfeit his 2010 guaranteed money. He might be waiting to get cut so he can collect.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 4, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Skins haven't had a legit run game since the middle of the 2008 season.

I know we all like to bash Portis' attitide and work habits (it seems well deserved), but did he really just fall off a cliff? He was producing big-time before that.

How much of Portis' rapid decline really goes back to a not-ready-for-prime-time O-line?

Posted by: Alan4 | March 4, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | March 4, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Updating previous reports, Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers will assign the first-round and third-round tender offer to restricted free-agent RB Darren Sproles, according to a source. The offer will be a one-year deal worth $7.27 million

Posted by: skinfanman | March 4, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 4, 2010 3:19 PM

Its a combination of both.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 4, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Casey Wiegmann is reported to be visiting with the Redskins today.

Posted by: jmy999 | March 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

LS - Dunta can intercept. Los can't.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | March 4, 2010 3:12 PM

Dunta Robinson -- 13 INTS, six years in the league. Two per year? That's your idea of an upgrade over Carlos?

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I would think that with Shanahan coaching the Skins, RB is the least of our worries. And if he keeps CP, my guess is the CP will be in the best shape he has been in the last couple of years.

Brunnel to Moss X2 in Dallas was Awesome! Woke the entire house that Monday night.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

LS - Dunta can intercept. Los can't.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | March 4, 2010 3:12 PM

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow that does blow CR22 out of the water!!!!

Posted by: Stu27 | March 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Saw a mock draft that forecasted Skins taking Okung at #4 and Tebow in the second. Any thoughts?

Posted by: shanteefamilee | March 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Is it in the realm of possibilities that we could work out a trade for a mid-level pick for Portis and we paid say... 50% of his guaranteed money, and the trade partner took the other 50%?

That way we only have half of his guaranteed money as dead money, plus a third rounder. Seems like it could be a win, win, win.

We lose a cancer plus receive a draft pick, Portis gets paied and may have a decent year with new surroundings, another team gets him at a reasonable price.

The fans rejoice!

Posted by: Devo2 | March 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

ls, actually, when you consider that LOS-er has 6 over a 5 year career, then yeah, that is an upgrade....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 4, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 4, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Alan don't forget when Betts, before he hurt, got behind that same offensive line they didn't look so offensive

Posted by: forever8-8 | March 4, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Bring in Homer Simpson as a consultant;

"Now it's time for the easiest part of a coach's job - the cuts... Clinton, you're cut..."

Posted by: stevebeagrie | March 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"Carlos... I love your hustle, but you're so-ooo cut."

Posted by: stevebeagrie | March 4, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 2:55 PM

Man o man, I forgot about that Sean Taylor hit that knocked the ball out. I miss watching that guy play. Just like Samuels had that scary Darth Samuels neck guard, Taylor's thing where he individually wrapped every finger joint just LOOKED like he was preparing for gladiating.

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

An unnamed NFL executive told SI.com that the Redskins will "throw around money like it's playing Monopoly" in free agency.

Posted by: zorn_sucks | March 4, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Danny can afford it. Get rid of him.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 4, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shanteefamilee | March 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'll wait till his pro-Day. Say what you want, that guy wins football games, absolutely loves to play football at a high level, is a born leader, and works is arse off.

I know, I know, he's a Jesus freak and puts his morals on others.

Trust me, I don't like that either. But when I played ball and served in the Corps I still liked to surround myself wtih people with his work,leadership, and selfless attitude. It grows on people. Just like negative attitudes. See TO and Portis.

Too bad he can't throw worth a dam though.

Posted by: Devo2 | March 4, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Devo2, Portis has some big base pay # after this year, so the other team would need to pick up his salary for those years.

Trading CP is not an option. It's either cut him or play him. Tough choice.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

get out of here.

Posted by: Zeebs | March 4, 2010 3:04 PM

nice try, but fanaticism isn't the threshold up here. but if you tag me with memorex, I'll remember what you're talking about.

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 3:26 PM

I wish I could share your optimism, but this team has buried a lot of solid coaches in our recent history--regardless of their previous credentials.

Portis was the real deal, not a system player, and now he looks like a bad attitude, broken down player.

That being said, I hope you're right.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"Hello, and welcome to my official website! I want to send out a thank you to all my fans for following me throughout the years and continuing your fan support for the next biggest step of my life—the NFL. I am anxious to step back on the playing field and learn all the ropes of the NFL!"

Uh, he's been in the league five years. How long's it take to learn the ropes?

Posted by: closer44 | March 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

danny gets what danny wants

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Devo- Agreed Tebow has the deire to get better. Wants to put in the time and effort it takes to get better. That is the direction we need to be heading in.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | March 4, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Trading CP is not an option. It's either cut him or play him. Tough choice.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Then we pick that up as well.

By leveraging our willingness to pick up guaranteed money we could possibly get a higher pick...oh wait, no one want's a 29 year old malcontent.

DAMM. My bad, I keep realizing how little other teams would be willing to have him on their roster.

I guess our only hope is that Shanny can get the most out of him.

I guess that's why they play the games?

Posted by: Devo2 | March 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Wonder what all these people will be saying when portis is getting over a 100yrds a game next year.. I'd rather have a Portis with a chip on his shoulder than some young gun that dont know what he doing... They can get rid of Ladell though...

Posted by: cocodc1 | March 4, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 4, 2010 3:36 PM

Unless Dan gets rid of Allen and Shanahan and brings back VC, I think the days of coach killers are over in DC (but it is waaay to early to see if Dan did in fact change his spots).

If CP is not in shape then he will be cut. Shanahan is a no nonsense type of coach.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

With him making that much money I think I'd want to be sure he was done before I let him go. My personal opinion is Portis is going to show up at camp without the best of conditioning. He's going to run the forty so slow that they could time him with a sun dial. Then they are going to send him packing.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think it's going to be the opposite. I think he's going to have a great offseason and we'll see the same old Portis again. This will last until about week 6 when his bone spurs act up again then he'll land on IR for the rest of the year.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 4, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Forget Sproles. Chargers just tagged him at the highest level -- he'll cost a first and a third.

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Bengals cut Laveranues Coles
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 4, 2010 3:44 PM ET
Laveranues Coles is on the open market.

The Cincinnati Bengals announced today that they terminated Coles' contract, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Coles had a disappointing 2009 season for the Bengals, catching 43 passes for 514 yards and five touchdowns while making almost $10 million. But Bengals coach Marvin Lewis praised Coles' contributions.

============================================

Coles is one rich MoFo...He Gangstered 3 organizations...Skins, Jets, and Cincy

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Skins haven't had a legit run game since the middle of the 2008 season.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 4, 2010 3:19 PM
------------------------------------------
That's a good question. I think his body has just eroded over the years of playing, as he calls it, "Big Man Football" in Joe Gibbs' offense. He had that long run last season in the Giants game, and I swear, it was like a paradigm shifting right on the field. He was winded, he slowed down and I swear he wasn't the same after that. Maybe that's what hitting the wall in the NFL is really like.

We'll see if he can get his mojo back, but I guarantee you he will have to work for it. I don't like the fact that he didn't get the bone spurs fixed in the offseason. That right there suggests he doesn't want to do what's required to play at a high level. I would love for him to surprise us all by putting on a clinic in the preseason, but I don't think it will happen. His mojo has left the building.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

beep - Sproles

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 4, 2010 3:51 PM
------------------------------------------
I had surgery to remove bone spurs. Before I had it, I spent a lot of time icing my foot down, and I wasn't going through two a days at Redskins park. If they really are a concern, he'll be shutting it down early. I wonder if he's foolishly thinking he will waltz through preseason like that darned day care Zorn ran last year. I got a feeling Shanahan is going to work the team a little harder...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

OK...here is the plan. In the draft after getting Bradford and an OL or 2 we pick up a late round RB like Tate or Dixon or Gerhart if he happens to fall that low. Maybe a FA RB. Here is the brilliant part---Don't CUT CP...re-purpose him. CP is NOW our lead blocking back!!!He can't hurt us by dropping the ball or running slow and he is out there earning his cash and taking hits so Skins fans don't feel cheated....its a WIN WIN...

Posted by: shanahananigans | March 4, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

All well and good, I guess, but also wonder whether Little Danny worries much about losing a "measley" $7 MILLION minor cog, particularly when said minor cog might be adversely affecting so many other aspects of his much larger enterprise, valued by some as worth more than $2 BILLION in revenue per year.

And if as some allege it is true as that Little Danny wants to win in the worst possible way, some might also suggest that it could begin with the pruning of some deadwood that is just taking up roster space.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

The more things change, the more they stay the same. You people really think that Shanahan and Allen are going to changes things when St. Joseph was not able to?

Give me a break. Do yourselves a favor and just walk away. The Washington Redskins as we used to know and love them died in 1999. That's just a simple fact. And no amount of Voodoo, black magic or religion is ever going to bring them back so long as Dan Snyder owns this team. That's just a COLD, HARD fact.

For some of you, it's too late. You've probably already pre-ordered your Julius Pepper's Authentic jersey for almost $300.00.

But for the rest of you that still have a few synapses firing in your skulls, ask yourself this . . .

Do you really want to continue giving your hard earned money to Dan $nyder?

Posted by: VeloStrummer | March 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shanteefamilee

I've been saying this was possible for several weeks now because Shanny went to watch some Florida games last season. I think it depends on Tebow's pro day and whether we can pick up an extra 2nd round pick from a RFA.

Posted by: lordtwang | March 4, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

WHY NOT????

Too much money to pay after this year... CUT YOUR LOSSES NOW!!!

Sure he could surprise us & be good this year, but damn, when do you get a chance to rid yourself of millions of dollars that should never be paid after this year, gotta cut him!

Posted by: tony325 | March 4, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I didn't read the end of the article regarding the guaranteed money... IDIOTS!

Posted by: tony325 | March 4, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

How about we trade Campbell to the Rams-in return we swap pick 4 for pick 1...Draft Bradford and some O Linemen....maybe the late draft RB...in FA we pick up a Veteran FA QB. Maybe Pennington or someone of that caliber. I really think that Bradford is the guy that if the Skins don't get....they will regret it. Clausen in Ryan Leaf...Bradford is more of the Aikman/Payton Manning QB that you build around for a decade....not sayin...just sayin.

Posted by: shanahananigans | March 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

this cancer will only spread...they need to have this tumor removed

Posted by: heathdog1119 | March 4, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Portis should have been the FIRST ONE cut today. I agree with all of the other cuts and with cleaning it up. But start with the poision snake in your locker room and that is definately Portis and our new coach knows it!

Posted by: bulldawz1 | March 4, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

portis will be a back-up at best. in that role he still might have something left. i would have cut him though

Posted by: slim4 | March 4, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse