Portis says he's a better fit for Shanahan's system

In today's story on Clinton Portis, you'll note that he was trying to be careful not to disparage the Redskins' previous coaching staff, but he's clearly thrilled by the opportunity to again play for Mike Shanahan and Bobby Turner.

While he's fully expecting to look like the running back who, once-upon-a-time, could top 1,500 yards without breaking a sweat, let's take a moment to look at why he thinks that's possible.

Put simply, Portis thinks he's a better fit for Shanahan's scheme. For him, the evidence is in the stats. Portis totaled 3,099 yards in two season in Denver.

"I know in Denver, we didn't have the type of talent that we have in D.C.," Portis said. "We had great guys in Denver - Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe, Ed McCaffrey -- but they were kind of toward the end of their careers. So now you look forward to a Fred Davis, Chris Cooley, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly - guys that are really going to benefit. And as always, you got Santana [Moss]. It's going to be really hard to cloud Santana, knowing you got to stop the play-action, knowing you got to wait for the boot. It's going to be really a lot of mismatches.

"Even with the O-linemen, I think with the scheme of the O-line, it's not going to require O-linemen to hold up. Like they had to hold up and block. We never really moved the pocket before. The O-linemen are sitting there and battling; you're one-on-one. You're going to win some, you're going to lose some. I think what's really going to benefit the O-linemen is the play-action. You want to run upfield, we'll run underneath. You want to chase the quarterback or the running back, we got bootleg or we'll counter
"You call the wrong play, you call a play guessing that you'll stop play-action and we running the ball, you're in trouble. That means your D-end can't crash the backside, so there's always a cutting lane. If you decide to let your D-end crash the backside, we'll kill you with the bootleg. It's that simple. You don't need to make it tougher than it really is."

By Rick Maese  |  February 3, 2010; 6:43 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins' hiring of McCardell is official
Next: Portis praises running backs coach Bobby Turner

Comments

I think if Portis is going to be the great back that he was its gotta be now. If he doesn't get it done now then he is done in DC. The big question is what do we do with the 4th draft pick. I say take Okung, but I got a feeling that we will go wtih Bradford. I think if we take Okung and really work this offseason on the O-line then we will be fine. Mike sounds like he is giving Cambell another chance to run the Offense. Time will tell. I would love to see us run the 3-4 if we can get the right pieces in place. By the way First

Posted by: louloudekdek1 | February 3, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

If he practices he'll have a better season.

Posted by: geotherm21 | February 3, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Remember how getting rid of Shockey helped Eli take control of the huddle and was addition by subtraction for the Giants? Send Portis packing and watch JC's comfort level soar. I'm hoping we don't know the name of our next feature back yet...some 4th rounder that Shanahan pulls out of the hat that is more interested in production than being the "assistant general manager" and all-round most (self)important guy in the locker room.

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 3, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Just to keep the fire going...Draft an O line man with #4 in the 1st.
Just say "NO" to QB at that pick.

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | February 3, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

One thing I got from the above post is that having immature talent on the offense might pay huge dividends under a Shanahan led team. It's going to be really important for guys like Thomas, Kelly, and Mitchell to push themselves this offseason and grasp this offense more quickly than they did Zorn's. There will be plays to be made just by Shanahan's timing as a play caller.

As for CP, I think I'm in the minority in that I want to see him shed weight, dedicate himself to work hard with Bobby Turner, and be a sounding board to the other RBs. CP knows the blocking schemes in this offense, and the tells of the defensive fronts, if he has anything left, IMO he does, he should have a productive few years left.

Posted by: TWISI | February 3, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

WHY are so many commenters on the 'Skins so vulgar and confrontational?

Posted by: Towards_Light | February 3, 2010 12:34 AM

I don't see it myself. Sure, there's a small handful of people who post a lot so it looks like most of us are that way. But if you just ignore the posts of guys like Re_DMV, C_rk, scam_bell1975, chR_sLarry, brow_wood, and dcsw_en, then you'll find the rest of us up here are cheerful, open, and generous.

Of course, if you don't read their stuff, then what's left? Interminable whining about JC, ARE, CP. In other words, a lot of tepid pabulum.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

PORTIS, boo-o-o. Trade him for a bag of chips.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 3, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

WHY are so many commenters on the 'Skins so vulgar and confrontational?

Posted by: Towards_Light | February 3, 2010 12:34 AM

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 7:52 AM

Because that's the fun. We run out of stuff to rehash ad nauseum and so we turn on each other like a pack of rabid dogs. Actually, most of those people LS mentioned are standup guys, excluding myself of course.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 7:58 AM

This is the pot calling the kettle white.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

And oh by the way, Red and myself usually only attack when first attacked. I enjoy a good debate but as soon as you sling a grain of sand my way be prepared for a swift and massive retaliation of mud. Now that I'm starting the relocation process and moving to better digs I'm gonna try to relax with the froth a little.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 7:58 AM

This is the pot calling the kettle white.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 8:00 AM

Don't say white, you might be called a rascist.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 3, 2010 7:19 AM

I don't know if his comfort level would soar. Most of the time it looked like Clinton was the only one blocking.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 3, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

This statement has been the problem over the last 10 years....

""I know in Denver, we didn't have the type of talent that we have in D.C.," Portis said."

Whether its been from players, coaches, media or fans. You are what your record says you are which is lacking talent.

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | February 3, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

...all-round most (self)important guy in the locker room.

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 3, 2010 7:19 AM

Bet we don't see him flouncing around again in one of his drag queen outfits. Can't believe that Gibbs tolerated that crap as long as he did.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | February 3, 2010 8:14 AM

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I think Portis will have a great year, over 1000 yards IF he plays all 16 games. But I don't think he'll make the pro-bowl. He's the best we've got and I'm excited to see him play behind some better lineman (I hope we get), and in Shanahan's scheme.

The thing I worry about with Portis, is if he gets -kinda sorta- injured, like with the bone spurs. And its this gray area of how much should he play, how much not. I worry about this because he's the type that will complain about not getting enough carries even if he isn't performing b/c of an injury.

So I don't think he's the kind of guy who will have a good attitude about mentoring any young RBs like Ganther and whoever we get in the draft. I don't think he'll end his career gracefully, because he always wants to be -the guy-, not the mentor. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: REXskins | February 3, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I thought Portis' comments were a cut above what we usually hear from him. He's right that the blocking schemes the Shanahans prefer take pressure off the offensive linemen. He's also correct that it will be more difficult for defenses to 'cloud' (crowd?) Santana Moss, and he'll benefit from that the way Eddie Royal does in Denver.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 3, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

"For him, the evidence is in the stats. Portis totaled 3,099 yards in two season in Denver."

...and that was how many hits and years ago?

Portis' comments sound like one of those nostalgia "..back in the day, I was all that..." recollections where memory supplants the reality that back in the day is not today.

He's been injured and surly today.

He's approaching 30 today.

He's on a team that sits at the bottom of the NFC East today.

He's got a fractured relationship with his starting quarterback today.

He's got a team in transition today.

He's got teammates who see him as a big mouth pampered pet today.

And as for all of his tomorrows, well, he has to be as driven and hardworking today as he was back in the day to get back to where he used to be.

He must be a stand up guy in the lockerroom, on the field, and at practice.

'Cuz if his memory really served him right, he'd acknowledge that dedication, preparation, and hunger is how he ran for 3,009 yards back in the day.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Portis needs to get his but on the tred mill, lose a few lb's and work on his "burst" thats what made him a good back in the first place.

But that brick wall is closing on him.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 3, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I thought Portis' comments were a cut above what we usually hear from him.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 3, 2010 8:32 AM

His best comment would be "no comment." This is just more of him running his mouth. He talks the talk but it's been a while since he's put up numbers worth talking about. Time to put up and shut up.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | February 3, 2010 8:31 AM

IDK. Portis has mentioned that the team under-utilizes Betts. Remember that in Denver he was rotated at his position, although he was probably the #1 guy.

Posted by: TWISI | February 3, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I dunno.

I say we won by losing.

Had Zorn & Company gotten Vinny's mismatched roster into the playoffs, Cerrato would've been vindicated.

And now he's gone.

4-12 has served us well, in my mind.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"Looking over the losses last season, I believe that a real coach like Shanahan could have won six more games with the same roster: Dallas, New Orleans, San Diego, Carolina, Detroit, and Kansas City. That would have been 10-6 and in the playoffs.Posted by: League-Source"

That qualifies you for membership in the Vinny Cerrato Fantasy Football League.

The Skins took several important gambles and unfortunately lost on all of them. They gambled that the three second-round receivers would have a major impact on the offense. They gambled that Samuels and Thomas would somehow make it through the season. They gambled that the increased number of defensive sacks would result in games won via turnovers. And they gambled that Portis would lead the running attack.

That's a lot of risks to take on one throw of the dice.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 3, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

The Skins took several important gambles and unfortunately lost on all of them.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 3, 2010 8:43 AM

You left off the biggest gamble: That Jim Zorn could be a head coach in the NFL. If they'd gotten that one right, the rest of it would have taken care of itself.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"But if you just ignore the posts of guys like Re_DMV, C_rk, scam_bell1975, chR_sLarry, brow_wood, and dcsw_en, then you'll find the rest of us up here are cheerful, open, and generous."

You've just grouped an all star cast of mental patients.

Posted by: abxinc | February 3, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

twisi

"Portis has mentioned that the team under-utilizes Betts. Remember that in Denver he was rotated at his position, although he was probably the #1 guy."

Select the best guy to rotate with Portis:

Ganther

Mason

Betts

Cartwright

Blount

Tate

Dwyer

Best

Spiller

Hardesty

I like a backfield of Portis, Ganther, and Tate myself.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Select the best guy to rotate with Portis:

I like Portis, Ganther, and Cartwright (because he can catch). We don't have to use a draft pick on a RB that way.

Posted by: REXskins | February 3, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

League Source, that's what I'm talking about.
"I disagree. I think that Zorn is what his record is. I don't think that about the players. This team has been badly coached for two years by Zorn and his crew."

The mindset that they are close to being something if it wasn't for that 'one play', the 'one call' the one player away the one coach..etc.. They wouldn't be in the position they were/are in if they had the talent to blow people off the ball, pass at will, stone the other teams O when it counted. Games wouldn't come down to that one missed assignment, or monday morning bad call.

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | February 3, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

You've just grouped an all star cast of mental patients.

Posted by: abxinc | February 3, 2010 8:47 AM |

How are the All-Stars selected on the mental ward? Do they vote on themselves? Balloting among the attendants? The nurses? Their doctors?

I just want to know whether I should count your ballot or not.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

His best comment would have been to add at least one single solitary sentence where he takes some personal responsibility for his part of the debacle last season - to at least acknowledge something.

A bunch of his teammates called him out for preferential treatment.

His RB coach called him out for not working hard.

He apparently came into the season already hobbled and not healthy.

Instead its the same-old same-old with CP. Instead he talks about the scheme being not right, other people creating BS at Redskins Park, coaches not listening to him, other people misunderstanding/misrepresenting him.

Gracious almighty it is such a TIRED act.

Posted by: p1funk | February 3, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

"Remember how getting rid of Shockey helped Eli take control of the huddle and was addition by subtraction for the Giants?"
_______________________________
Last time I checked, Shockey's playing in the SB and Eli is in the stands. So, I'm not sure how that analogy works.

I'm less concerned about CP staying or going than about JC. I don't buy CP's suggestion that working off more play-action somehow makes a mediocre blocker better. The current line seems a little better at protecting the QB than supportuing the run. Problem is, you can't sell a play-action unless you can convince a defense you have a legitimate running attack.

I keep thinking about Rypien: a hig-armed QB who may not have had mad skills, but behind that O line looked (at least for one season) like Dan Marino. Start with the O line. Then you'll get a much better idea of what's behind them.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | February 3, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

He's in denial. The only thing that will keep Portis here is the money they're obligated to pay him in 2010. Even that may not be enough in an uncapped year.

Posted by: jimd3 | February 3, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I felt it was a bit premature to write CP off even before the offseason changes. A bad half season doesn't mean he's done. Of course, running backs do lose it almost overnight. A return to the old Denver system could be just what the doctor ordered for CP. Having said that, Shanahan has proven he can get production out of almost any running back so is it worth paying a running back that much money, regardless of the uncapped season?

Posted by: largetony86 | February 3, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Didn’t Shockey get hurt leading up to or even in the Ginats Playoff run in 2007? I thought he got hurt, and when they won the SB with Boss as the starter, they cut him in the following offseason. So technically they have not won anything since they cut him. Except maybe a division title…..but that’s no big whoop unless you are Antonio Pierce and like to rub in in the Skins faces.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 3, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Ok, after this post it appears Portis isn't going anywhere.

Posted by: joeboggs | February 3, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

p1funk

"His best comment would have been to add at least one single solitary sentence where he takes some personal responsibility for his part..."

The hallmark of a dysfunctional personality is the insistence that the trouble about the individual is not the result of his actions.

In other words, the dysfunctional character thinks, "...they don't know how f!cked up they are and how perfect I really am."

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Gracious almighty it is such a TIRED act.

Posted by: p1funk | February 3, 2010 8:56 AM

Bingo! (Are we still allowed to use that or does it have bad connotations? If it does, I meant it in the good way as in "You said it, funk.")

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

You've just grouped an all star cast of mental patients.

Posted by: abxinc | February 3, 2010 8:47 AM |

I just want to know whether I should count your ballot or not.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 8:54 AM

Read their threads; highly informative and, at times, comical, one thing they all have in common is their residence: St Elizabeth hospital for Skins insane.

Posted by: abxinc | February 3, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Draft O-line with #1
Draft 3-4 LB with #2
Draft Blount with #3

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | February 3, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Thank god Vinny is no longer with us, otherwise our draft order would be something like this

Draft QB #1
Draft Safty #2
Draft Long Snapper #3

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | February 3, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

OMG, CPs due 7.2 million, 6.4 mil gar-on-teed in 2010. Chris Johnson will make less than 1/2 that. and he's not 1/3 of CJ anymore. Get a great O-Line. Spend,Spend,Spend on O-line and save on QBs,RBs. Let's build for a decade, not a season. and cut out any hint of cancer. For 7.2 million, CP should be living @ the Redskins facility answering phones, washing down lockers and anything that will help the team get better. Not in Miami kissing Coaches butt through interviews.

Posted by: boysheadcoach | February 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

OMG, CPs due 7.2 million, 6.4 mil gar-on-teed in 2010.

Posted by: boysheadcoach | February 3, 2010 9:19 AM

If CP retires due to his concussion, will he still receive the guaranteed money? My guess is that the answer is "yes" but I call it a guess for a reason.

Posted by: League-Source | February 3, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

If trading out of the 4th pick is impossible, then take Okung, and pick up QB Sean Canfield in the Second. OL and RB the rest of the draft.

Posted by: MadeRED | February 3, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

It's Groundhog Day, again! Just like last year, Portis has popped out of his offseason hole, spied his shadow, and then talked about how great he is going to be next season.

New sheriffs are in town, Portis. And these sheriffs are "gonna gitchya!"

Bye bye, Portis. Back to your multi-million dollar hole in the ground, please.

Posted by: hithere1 | February 3, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 8:47 AM

I like those three backs as well. I think Tate reminds me of Betts coming out of college. Blount has a presence near the red zone, and I can see Shanny taking him in the 3rd-4th round if they are able to. Also LaMarcus Coker as a 6th-FA prospect is intriguing just for his speed.

Posted by: TWISI | February 3, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadeRED | February 3, 2010 9:29 AM

Sean Canfield stock is dropping from what I can tell. He really has a weak arm, and he struggled with his accuracy during the Senior bowl practices.

Posted by: TWISI | February 3, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Man, everything I was saying about the coarching staff last this season turns out to be true.

They ostraciszed him like Piggy on the island. Scapegoat city.

I understand the natural decline of the back... but that's not what we've been dealing with here. We've had a full-scheme fail under Zoron. The same scheme TOOK OUT Betts in two weeks.

Given the $$ issues, I think it will take quite a bit to keep CPo out of the lineup. I actually think they'll stick w/ CPo, Ganther, Mason and just go forward.

There are too many other positions that need shoring up. Once the scheme kicks in, the RB corps will up production.

So he's got a big mouth. Big deal.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

My ears were burning so I logged into RI for the first time in awhile (I always take an RI break between championship games and SB) and yup within 3 scrolls there is LS mentioning me. Dude enough, seriously....its scary.

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

_______________________________

Posted by: InRealAmerica | February 3, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I think the analogy works like this:

Eli Manning became a Superbowl champion and a SUperbowl MVP with Shockey on the sideline.

What happens on Sunday is irrelevant to that fact.

Posted by: p1funk | February 3, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Great comments this morning...

CP = Sunday Warrior
CP = Mon - Sat Wuss
CP = Cancer

Let go of any emotional ties to the man and see that he is done... RB's NEVER get their legs back.

For the #4 pick... has to be an OT or trade down... You know without a cap the FO will pursue Den/Hou OL-men, which could assist the interior of the line... then we need minimum one STUD OT... if we trade back from 4, pick up a second, then we can go with an OT, QB and RB in the first and second rounds... dreaming, yes!

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

While CP26 appears to have 7+ million reasons to play next season...

I suspect he'll still show up out of condition, out of shape, and prone to injury...

then he'll probably refuse to participate in practice, pre-season, or mid-week preparation...

and then after a couple mediocre performances on game day, he'll feign some sort of mysterious injury...

that can only be healed by sitting around, smoking cigars and trading lies with Little Danny Snotrag...

and blame somebody else for his lack of production...

all the while taking up a valuable roster spot and preventing someone who actually wants to play from doing so...

In short, it'll be a repeat of the 2009 season.

Get rid of this ass-clown now!

Posted by: Vic1 | February 3, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Does Portis talk to much...maybe...I will even grant you a "yes".....but can someone point out what he has been wrong about the last 2 years in his critique of Zorn and his system? Seems to me he nailed it each time.

CP has bounce back season next year, with the Skins...book it.

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

From Don Banks' column at SI.com yesterday:

"• A Super Bowl-related fact I did not know until Tuesday: Williams, the former Redskins coordinator, carries a medallion around in his pocket at all times. It has a picture of Redskins safety Sean Taylor on it. Taylor was shot and killed by home intruders in December 2007, and Williams was his coach in Washington.

"He was my favorite player and he passed away on my watch,'' Williams said."

RIP, Sean. We all miss you.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 3, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

p1funk

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I hear you, Moe.

Though I would put it like this:

Clinton's attitude is perfectly consistent with a 6-year old child who hasn't yet grasped the reality that (1) the world doesn't revolve around you and it's not a crime when you don't get your way, (2) it won't kill you to take responsibility for your failures and when people attempt to hold you accountable you don't have to take it personally, (3) it's quite unbecoming to blame other people first when things around you aren't working out.

So if Clinton were actually a 6-year old child, then we wouldn't call the behavior "dysfunctional".

What is "dysfunctional" is that we are talking about a supposedly grown-up professional.

Posted by: p1funk | February 3, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

to Vic

Portis knows it wont matter to Shanahan whether he cuts his lazy butt or not.. if he shows up out of shape, my guess is that his "retirement" is announced by the team on the first day of camp.

barring injury, i think that Portis has his best year in a long time.. tough love..Portis is shaping his own legacy from here on out..Money for not playing, or a possible ticket into the Hall of Fame??

Posted by: shally | February 3, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

CP has bounce back season next year, with the Skins...book it.

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Someone... anyone... remind me and educate me on the LAST time CP made someone "miss" in the hole or the open field? The last time he broke an arm tackle? The last time he outran a defender?

CP is a classless version of Larry Brown. The legs are gone... #43 had a huge heart... CP has a Sunday only heart... and NO elite athlete, which CP WAS, ever admits when it's over... see LT's comments on PFT this morning about not taking any ay cut next year and how he was "misused" this year. Their egos are huge... of course they talk large... but come on RI nation... the legs are shot!

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"..all the while taking up a valuable roster spot and preventing someone who actually wants to play from doing so.."

All of this begs the following question: was the trade that St Joe made for Portis just a bad one all around as his acquisition left Betts--a more than capable back himself--on the bench?

Joe could've told Champ to play up to his contract, and sign elsewhere and played Betts an Cartwright in tandem.

Say what we will about Gibbs, that second go round on top of the confusion of the Sprurrier years had a lot to do with why things are the way they are now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

bschaef,

CP had his longest run from scrimage since his first carry as a redskin this season.

He was the league leading rusher two seasons ago (albeit midway through, until Zoron's "schemes" came into effect).

I saw him run plenty hard last season before his head was squished like a melon. You can choose to ignore it if you wish. That's your call.

He was consistently getting met AT or BEHIND the line this season.

Oh - and can we please stop throwing 'NATION' behind every granfalloon we can come up with?! It's annoying as SJK.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Why isn't anyone asking Portis about his bone spurs? The team doctors wanted him to get it fixed with surgery and he declined. I think this is significant. The guy has a limiting health problem and he won't get it fixed. This doesn't sound like he is going to be 100% next year. I think Portis is in for a real shock if Shanahan pulls in some decent competition. I would like to see them bring in a few of those late round running backs that Shanahan was famous for in Denver and have Portis compete for all of preseason.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 3, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Portis is shaping his own legacy from here on out..Money for not playing, or a possible ticket into the Hall of Fame??"

The only way CP26 makes it to Canton is through the turnstile reserved for the other paying members of the general public, because I doubt this dude has so much as a single friend of note who would invite him to attend their induction ceremony. And this dude's so called legacy -- he will be remembers for being a lazy, selfish, illiterate, backstabbing, cross-dressing idiot who accumulated a lot of garbage yards, but was never able to rise to the occasion of a big game or deliver so much as a single trophy to his so called teammates.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 3, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

granted the line sucked last year, but few people seem to remember that portis himself looked slow and old..any other running back would have scored on that run against the chiefs...i don't expect much from him next year, no matter how much he runs his mouth

Posted by: jdwood84 | February 3, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

DikShuttle -

Agreed that he is a warrior on Sundays when he "wants" to be... but not during the week when he needs to be.

The result, a long run where he could not get in front of a 270 lb fullback... nor could he make even a wiggle at the end to make anyone miss... the old adage applies... even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then...

As for leading theleague in rushing... look at your own comments... at the "midway" pint of the season... the season is a marathon... his legs are shot.

As for his running style... it's usually straight into the back of a lineman.

Can you honestly say you could not see a difference in quicks to the hole and cutting ability when Betts, Rock and Ganther were in there. I understand loyalty...

IT DOESN'T COME BACK to a running back...

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 10:04 AM
------------------------------------------
I think the trade was worth it. When Portis was good, he was very good. Not to take anything away from Bailey, but he played at a position where he wasn't going to make the same impact as a premier running back. No, I think the trade was worth it, but Portis is no longer the same back. It would be better if he slipped quietly into the night with an early retirement but this is going to be ugly. When Portis ultimately, inevitably gets cut, it will be to a chorus of "didn't give me a chance", "I still have it" and other ramblings from a player who fails to realize he is past his prime.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 3, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"Why isn't anyone asking Portis about his bone spurs?"

Coaches know I'm sure.

Another reason the Skins need to be rid of Mr.Portis.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 3, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"IT DOESN'T COME BACK to a running back..."

Don't tell Terry Allen that!

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I think most are in your camp, jdwood, as evidenced by the 'poll'.

But he didn't look slow and old. He looked out of shape and dejected.

There's plenty of tape with him running very hard, with adequate speed and veteran delivery.

But he was out of shape, for stated reasons. And he wasn't going to go-all-out for a coarch HE KNEW was gone at the end of the season.

Remember 980 reported in the bye week that Shanny in the off season was a done deal. You think CPo didn't know that? Did you read today's article?

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"...he played at a position where he wasn't going to make the same impact as a premier running back. No, I think the trade was worth it, but Portis is no longer the same back..."

This tells me the trade wasn't worth it.

Backs fall a part faster than cornerbacks.

An old cornerback might become a decent free safety, but an old running back is a guy who gets chased down from behind.

Yes: it's obvious Mr. Portis will return.

But if you ask me, his remaining on the roster as is an investment that's not worth it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Because of what the team owes Portis no need to let him go right away, but if after the pre-season he still is playing like he has in the past year, then you cut him. The uncapped year gives us freedom to hold off on cuts like that.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 3, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

they should have resigned PIERCE!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 3, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: frediefritz | February 3, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

CBs don't impact the game? Don't tell the Jets and Revis that...

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"IT DOESN'T COME BACK to a running back..."

Don't tell Terry Allen that!

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Nice try... but totally different scenario with a RB who had multiple knee surgerys... not long term career wear and tear... please look at the stats...

Terry Allen had 641 carries before coming to the Skins... lots left in them legs bubba...
Portis now has 2176 career carries...

LT had 2365 carried before dropping off the table to 3.3 ypc
Shaun Alex had 1710 carries before a plummet from 5.1 to 3.6
Larry Johnson 1421 carried before going from 5+ to 3.6 ypc...

JUST THE FACTS MA'AM!

His legs are shot... "there is no tomorrow" says Apollo Creed

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'll call that a TKO!

Thank you... thank you very much!

Elvis has left the building!

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 3, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Portis is at a stage in RB's where they just had a great year, a good 3 year run of consistent production, then bam! steep decline to out of the league. Shaun Alexander record breaking TD year, LT breaking that record shortly after. Portis was among the LT, Alexander, Larry Johnson, B Westbrook group of top RB's. Now there is a new batch of top RB. Time for us to move on with new fresh legs. But hopefully Clint be the exception.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 3, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Please stop comparing CP now to what he a did in his first 2 years in the league. he's nowhere near what he used to be...and doesn't belong at the feature back position, you have to earn that right (as opposed to privelege as he seems to think). you want to impress fans CP? get in shape, get and stay healthy...and PERFORM!

Posted by: songsofpraise | February 3, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

IT DOESN'T COME BACK to a running back..."

Don't tell Terry Allen that!

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

My pick for #1 CP outfit nextyear is "Southeast Washed up and Unemployed Jerome"

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | February 3, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Aside from management, player, contract, and salary dictating who starts... I'd like to see CP as a 3rd down receiving back. While not D. Sproles, he has good hands, stones people blocking and in space has the skills to move the chains. May not take it to the house but would be productive. Remember Larry Centers?

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | February 3, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

We heard this same crap last year. Remember BOMBS OVER BAGHDAD!?!

Posted by: isonic1 | February 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

With Shanhan in place, CP's return only has an upside. If he works out and performs we get a top tier back. If he goofs off, shows up out of shape, won't practice, and starts spouting a bunch of crap to the media he will be gone immediately.

Give it some time to develop, with Vinny gone, it can only pay off.

Posted by: ggt546 | February 3, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

OK,let's be realistic,this is "one hit clinton I fall down " talking,the guy who refused to practice,who didn't work out...this is the guy who Ladell made us say Clinton who ? in a game and a half ...there was a reason Shanahan got rid of this guy.My friend from Denver said he was a whiner there, too...go O line first and maybe the next pick too,keep Campbell let Betts and Cartwright stay,let Shanahan find that mystical running back he always finds down deep in the draft....send Portis as far away as you can...Oakland maybe and lets play football. What do you think,Portis has to go,he's bad news and can't go forward anymore.

Posted by: petebowling1 | February 3, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

it's apparently not sinking in that Clinton needs to hold himself accountable

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | February 3, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Really Clinton? Why not shut up and let your play *during the season* talk for you?

Posted by: tundey | February 3, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

A BETTER QUESTION WOULD HAVE BEEN WHAT PERCENTAGE OF FANS WANT THE SKINS TO TRADE CLINTON PORTIS?

Posted by: keedrow | February 3, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I dunno.

I say we won by losing.

And now he's gone.

4-12 has served us well, in my mind.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse
============================================
MistaMoe, I couldn't agree with you more. If we went into the playoffs, those two clowns really would have lost all sense of reality and would have fully believed "Its Them not US." Vinny possibly could have been here another 10 years. Steve Deberg, Ken Andersen, or Richard Todd might have been our next head coaches.

Posted by: clark202 | February 3, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

can we cut or trade portis today... the guy is a clown...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 3, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

it's funny how Portis went from favorite son to persona non gratta in less than 2 years. I agree that he did not handle this past year well at all. But it shouldn't be forgotten that he had a Pro Bowl-caliber year in '08. With a half season off, he should be fairly fresh and, if he's still half the guy I think he is (thought he was), he'll be eager to prove something. I know he's not the long term answer, but I am actually expecting a solid season from CP in the neighborhood of 1,200 yards and 8-10 TDs.

HAIL (DRAFT OKUNG)

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | February 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys forget that Portis made the probowl and was leading the NFL in rushing (early in the 2008 season)? And he did that behind the crappy O-Line that everybody complains about and that every uses to defend JC. So yes, he's our PRO BOWL running back and he does block for JC which he (Portis) is recognized for.

Posted by: bdbyptr | February 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

CP has bounce back season next year, with the Skins...book it.

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 9:54 AM

CL, did Portis ever give a clear critique (your word) of Zorn's system publicly? I think all he did was imply that the reason he did not do well in the 2nd half of 2008 and all of 2009 was because of the O-line and the O system. But I can't remember a specific critique.

Of course, on the other side you had Sherman Smith come out and say that Portis' lack of practicing led to his decline in production, and that was backed up by Betts and (freakin') Ganther's better-than-CP-production after CP's concussion. This behind the same Oline and in the same system.

Of course, much more was wrong with the team than just CP's lack of commitment through the season. But I say he (1) has lost a step, and (2) has shown that he will quit on his team (no practicing).

New sheriff's gonna githim. Bye bye, Portis.

Posted by: hithere1 | February 3, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Portis is still the best running back on the Redskins' roster. It isn't even close. He'll probably never be a break-away type RB again but he is comfortable with Shanahan's running game and should have a big year. I wonder how (or if) Sellers fits the new offense?

Posted by: coparker5 | February 3, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

It seems that a lot of Washingtonian's don't know football! Okay, first off when Portis was in Denver under Coach Shanahan's system he was a 1600 or more yard back for both seasons. This is where the dumbness comes in. When he came here to DC Coach Joe Gibbs tried to change him to a power back. You just can't do that to a pure speedback! But Portis still produced. So, with that being said, it is Gibbs fault Portis was injured so much and maybe lost a step. When you get a player the object is to use him in the way he was built. The same thing happened with Lavar Arrington, he could have been a great LB in the NFL but because they changed his position he failed. So when Portis goes off on the hater Brian Mitchell and tells it like it is to reporters I don't get upset because I know what he went through. The Redskins organization is a mess and has been for the last 19 years with the exception of 2 seasons under Gibbs. Hopefully, I really hope they can get it together this time! No one wants to be a loser and I am with CP 26 all the way! He will have a great season! BY HATERS!

Posted by: 50midgets | February 3, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

What I get out of this is the Portis ran on idle for a couple years, taking money from the GENIUS. Now he's worried about staying in DC, he likes it here and his girls like him.... So, he's starting a campaign hoping to pressure the GENIUS to micro-manage Shanahan into keeping him. Well, that's my story....

Posted by: atidwell | February 3, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Portis = Cancer! Not a team player and never will be! There he goes again! Put the blame on someone else! That is what I cannot stand about this looser is that it is never his fault for anything! Please for the sake of this team get rid of him!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 3, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

chrislarry, I will tell you what Portis has done wrong. He blames everyone but himself for his problems! Even when he tries to give a compliment it sounds like he is downing his own team mates! Like he thinks he will be better here because the players at Denver were at the end of their careers! C`Mon man the guy is a me first player and that is all he will ever be!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 3, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

BTW F-Dallas!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 3, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Portis is an idiot. He'll never rush for a thousand yards again. He's just trying to cover his own butt. He'll never fit in because he's Danny's boy and he's lazy. He just might not even play a down in a regular season game as a Redskin. He got the money and he's dead. Look at Sellers, good player, got the money and now he's lazy too.Can you say Haynesworth?? Mike needs to clear some of these pecker heads out and get some trainable blood in house this year

Posted by: MrBinx | February 3, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I love Clinton, I love his attitude on gameday, and I love the way he acts, But, and I do mean this as a big big but, Shannahan was willing to trade him in '04 for a DEFENSIVE PLAYER, and Shannahan can do wonders with all types of running backs, so I'm sorry, get what you can for Portis's rep now, and let him start over somewhere else...I appreciate everyting he's done for the Skins but sorry man, it's time to move on..production just hasn't been there in the last 2 years for yah man..

Posted by: SCPEGLEG | February 3, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Fair weather nation get off of Portis he busted his a$# on Sundays with a below average offensive line and scheme.
The guy was hurt and it showed.

the Skins can cut Betts and Cartwright and bring in some young talent but if Portis works out this off season watchout haters

Posted by: BeatDontStop | February 4, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse