Redskins awaiting MRI on Clinton Portis' injury

The Redskins are awaiting the results of an MRI exam on running back Clinton Portis, who injured his groin in yesterday's win over the Philadelphia Eagles, but are pleased with the play of backup Ryan Torain, Coach Mike Shanahan said at his weekly news conference Monday.

Despite a shortage of NFL experience, Torain has a lot of "upside," Shanahan said. "I'm looking for him to have a good NFL career," he added.

Shanahan said the team was certain Torain, who had 70 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries Sunday while alternating with Portis, would be brought up from the practice squad. "We would've been heartbroken" if another team had taken him, Shanahan said.

Shanahan also said that if quarterback Donovan McNabb "had to do it over again," he would have stayed inbounds on a late scramble that picked up a first down, rather than heading out of bounds and stopping the clock. The move gave the Eagles precious extra time on their final, unsuccessful drive.

He said McNabb has a sore quad and felt it on that run.

Shanahan said offensive tackle Trent Williams, who has missed the past two games with knee and toe injuries, should be able to return to practice Wednesday. Shanahan did not disclose the illness that sidelined offensive lineman Artis Hicks, but said he, too, would be ready for practice Wednesday.

And he said Sunday's game "by far" the best game played by defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth. "The more he plays like that, the more he'll play," Shanahan said.

By Rick Maese  | October 4, 2010; 3:22 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth, Clinton Portis, Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Redskins shopping WR Devin Thomas
Next: Mike Shanahan on Redskins' use of timeouts vs. Eagles

Comments

And the more I post, the more I stay FIRST

Posted by: ElYeah | October 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

hess, where are the redskins ranked scoring wise? how about their passing game, where is that?

just curious....

don't know exactly where we rank in either catagory, but we're 2-2 and in 1st place.

Posted by: hessone | October 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins awaiting MRI on Clinton Portis' injury"

Hope it's positively negative.

Brian Orakpo Is Tired Of Being Held
Posted Oct 3rd 2010 8:54PM by Matt Terl (

Back when Brian Orakpo sealed the Redskins' LAST heart-stopping down-to-the-final-play NFC East win, I talked to him about how his offensive lineman drawing a holding penalty on that play was just about as good as a sack, and he mostly agreed. Now it's becoming a habit -- there were at least two more penalties for guys holding Orakpo -- and Orakpo's getting a little less sanguine about the whole thing.

"I'm happy we got the win," he said, "but obviously it is frustrating, because I do wanna get sacks. I do wanna get big plays. But guys just keep continuously to hold me out there."

Orakpo is every bit a team guy, but he knows that his stats are taking a hit here. "They look at my numbers," he said, "I got two sacks in four games so far, so they think it's not good, but you gotta consider all the holding calls I've been getting and it's getting kinda redundant right now."

(I'm not sure who the "they" is that he was referring to there, as most Redskins fans I've talked to are keenly aware of the holding on Orakpo -- nearly every single play, many of them will tell you. But whatever.)

Orakpo's draw-a-holding-penalty technique has led fairly directly to two divisional wins, so I'm mostly okay with it, but I can certainly understand his frustration. I suggested that he should be flattered that this is the only way guys seem to be able to stop him, but he shrugged that idea right off.

"It don't make me feel good," he said, "but ... like I said, I just wanna finish plays, get these sacks like I see other guys doing. They're not letting me, so hopefully other teammates can shine while they're holding me on the other side."

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Shanny, the more you tell Haslett to run a 4-3, the more AH will play like that.

Re: CP

You mean he's been running 100% healthy this whole time?? Yikes.

Posted by: p1funk | October 4, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: filmchis | October 4, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Don't really need an MRI to see that Portis is about done. Time to buy him a gold watch and have a retirement party.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS ON PORTIS INJURY -- We don't know anything yet...stay tuned

Posted by: PlayAction | October 4, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

And Coach, if Golsten, Galloway, and Roydell, continue to play that way, what does it mean for them?

Posted by: dcwun | October 4, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Haynesworth played like a $100 million man yesterday. That's the man that needs to see the field more.

This defense could be gelling, slowly but surely. Kareem Moore getting more comfortable, Haynesworth getting more comfortable, LoZo getting more comfortable, that shores up the biggest 3 spots we were missing to start the season.

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 3:33 PM |

cosign

Posted by: hessone | October 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Torain has a lot of "upside,"

That's what SHE said.

Posted by: ash10 | October 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Just a a tidbit to pass about this weekend wearing our jerseys in Iggle country...

Wife(89), 4 yr old (47) and I (21) wearing our jerseys at fallfest country festival in Lancaster county sunday prior to the game.

I was not with them very often, waiting in line for the bathroom mostly. I saw a couple of skins jerseys, plenty of sweatshirts and other regalia. Hear a couple 'Go Eagles' cat calls from the crowd but they were unidentifiable.

Had a good back and forth with a guy when we were leaving who was wearing egles stuff. Jovial and light.

Found out later that while my wife and son were walking back from the bathroom, that someone threw ketchup at them. Presumably packets cause there were little splatter marks. Wife heard someone yell F the skins before she felt something hit her.

The loss of vick, Reid's stupidity and the ending of the game could not happen to a better group of lowlife people in the world.

F the eagles and everyone who reps them

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 4, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I majored in Applied THC Technology.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 2:48 PM
-----------------

I got my PHD in THC Technology and Practice.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 4, 2010 2:56 PM

Bob Marley has a tattoo of ME on his arm.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 4, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 3:33 PM |

cosign

Posted by: hessone | October 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

John Hancock

...after the retirement party, we can hire him back as a consultant to specialize in 3rd downs...

Posted by: p1funk | October 4, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep

Look past your obvious dislike for CP and admit he ran the ball really well yesterday. I saw great vision to get through some holes that really weren't there.

Torain is a fine complimentary back who had a great run for his TD. As an all around back, even at this stage of CP's career, he's still a ways behind him.

Posted by: dcwun | October 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Notes: Haslett’s New Plan Effective

By Ryan O’Halloran
Staff writer
CSNwashington.com

For the first three games of the season, Washington Redskins defense meant sending multiple blitzers from every possible nook and cranny.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett did an about face Sunday.

Wary of the Eagles’ big-play ability – Philadelphia entered third in the NFL with 45 plays of 10-plus yards – Haslett employed a game plan that relied on a four-man pass rush and zone coverage in the secondary.

“We were determined not to give up big chunks of yardage against this team,” Haslett said.

The Redskins succeeded, allowing only one play of longer than 18 yards and holding DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin to no catches longer than 15 yards in a 17-12 win over Philadelphia.

That, and limiting the Eagles to only five third-down conversions in 14 chances, resulted in the Redskins snapping a two-game losing streak.

“We kept them in front of our defense and that’s what they had been doing the previous games – teams would get them in third-and-pretty-long, and they would get behind the defense to make a big play,” inside linebacker London Fletcher said. “We let four guys rush the quarterback and they did a good job getting [the Eagles’ quarterbacks] off their spot and forcing some penalties.”

Even when Kevin Kolb was completing passes, they were of the underneath variety and, most importantly, took time off the clock. The Eagles needed nine plays and 3 minutes, 31 seconds to cut the Redskins' lead to five points. Kolb completed passes of 13, 7, 7, 7, 5, 6, 6, 4 and 5 yards as the Redskins tackled well after the catch.

“They did a good job but we had some chances there,” Kolb said. “We’ve got to execute a little better when we have shots.”

Falling behind 14-0, and the injury to Michael Vick, moved the Eagles to a pass-first game plan. Kolb was 22-of-35 for 201 yards.

“They didn’t change a whole lot,” Kolb said of the Redskins’ plan. “They ran a lot of coverage and forced us to nickel and dime them and to be accurate.”

The Redskins also used Albert Haynesworth on early downs more than in his two games this year. He drew a holding penalty, batted down a pass and made four unassisted tackles.

“I thought he did a good job,” Haslett said. “The whole front did a nice job rushing today. ... This was one of his better games.”

Said Haynesworth: “The more I get to play, the better I’ll get. Leave me on the field more, I can cause more havoc.”

Asked if he had played well enough to earn more snaps against Green Bay, Haynesworth said: “I don’t have a crystal ball so only time will tell.”

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 4, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

(con't)

Torain’s Big Day
Two weeks ago he was on the practice squad. In the fourth quarter Sunday, Ryan Torain was the Redskins’ featured back, following Clinton Portis’ groin injury.

Torain rushed 18 times for 70 yards (both career highs).

“Ryan obviously has a lot of ability, and you saw it today and I’ve seen it in the past,” coach Mike Shanahan said. “He’ll get better and better as time goes on.”

Torain was part of a Redskins running game that averaged 4.8 yards per carry (35 attempts for 169 yards).

“Coach Shanahan stressed it and we knew what were going to do,” he said. “We had to step up and run the ball. With the running game being Coach Shanahan’s expertise, we knew we had to get it done.”

Torain’s 12-yard touchdown run (the second of his career) was highlighted by him running over Eagles safety Quintin Mikell.

“Oh yeah, that was exciting,” Torain said. “You get juiced up and want to do it again. It was no choice – I had to do it to get into the end zone.”

Mass confusion
The Eagles cost themselves a chance at a touchdown late in the first half. With the ball at the one-yard line following a replay challenge, Philadelphia inexplicably allowed the play clock to expire. The 5-yard penalty forced coach Andy Reid to send out David Akers for a field goal.

Reid said he had a play call for fourth-and-inches, but when the ball was spotted, it was closer to a full yard.

“I take full responsibility for what happened at the end of the first half,” he said. “The whole thing is my fault. You have to be aware of when the play clock starts. The point is that we had a play called for [fourth-and-inches] and the inches weren’t inches when the play clock started.”

The penalty was one of several miscues by the Eagles, who were called for four holding penalties and two late hits on Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Quick Kicks
• Portis said he’ll have his groin injury evaluated further on Monday. He finished with 11 carries for 55 yards and two catches for 26 yards. Right guard Artis Hicks (illness) did not return for the second half and was replaced by Will Montgomery.

• Left tackle Stephon Heyer had three penalties – a holding and two false starts.

• Shanahan on Brandon Banks’ 53-yard punt return that set up the Redskins’ first touchdown: “It obviously gave us great field position. Those yards are hidden and you don’t realize how important it is to start at that end of the field.”

• Josh Bidwell averaged 33.2 yards net in five punts after missing last week’s game in St. Louis because of a hip injury.

• The Eagles’ loss can’t be pinned on running back LeSean McCoy, who combined for 28 touches for 174 yards.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | October 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis lowers his shoulder on Quintin Mykell to finish off a run. CP goes to the turf, gets up and asks for a sub.

Ryan Torain lowers his shoulder on Quintin Mykel. Mykel gets blown off of his feet and Torain runs for 8 more yards into the end zone.

Posted by: p1funk | October 4, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey hey we gave the ball to our RBs 25-30 times and won the game, keep doing that Thanks.

Haynesworth cant be playing well, I hate him to much...

Posted by: Stu27 | October 4, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

RE: Devin Thomas
once a dick, always a dick eh mack.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 4, 2010 1:05 PM

Sorry Bean. If I had known you had the guy's face tattooed on your back I would have been less dickish.

Posted by: mack1 | October 4, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | October 4, 2010 3:40 PM

It isn't about the day that he had yesterday. I'll gladly admit that he had a good day until he got hurt. It's about his getting hurt. It's happened too many times. His body is messed up. He's going to be in pain the rest of his life. It's time to give up this football thing and stop while he's behind.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell is "The Pro Football Post"??? Any other sources?? Or are you guys just a buncha sh*t-stirring rabble-rousers, stirring the pot with your designated anchovies and their fake handles?? It takes a party of at least three to confirm the truth, said the Roman Imperial Jesus..Devin would be even more marketable if he was shown the ball once or twice this season..

Orakpo is blatantly getting jobbed and the Redskins should put together a pile of videotape and ship it to the geniuses that run the NFL in New York..F***in' as bad as pro wrestling..

EVACUATE!! EVACUATE!! HAYNESWORTH IS COMING FROM TOKYO BAY!!

Posted by: frak | October 4, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Like I said, very good run. He's a strong kid. What does that have to do with admitting CP was running the ball really well yesterday?

Posted by: dcwun | October 4, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

i'd much rather see another scrub like torrain in there than CP at this point. i'm a CP fan but he needs to get healthy and take whatever what's his face,ladyanian with the Jets is taking.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 4, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

If you want a fist-fight then hit up Red/Scamp...they'll at least describe an imaginary blow-by-blow brawl for you...

Posted by: p1funk | October 4, 2010 3:29 PM

Here's the blow by blow.

Scamps one eyed monster hits p1funk's girl in the mouth, and again, and again. Oh and again. Then it hits her in the o ring, again, and agin. Then hits her in the mouth again. Then it shoots her in the eye and glues it shut.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 4, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the Torain comment. If Shanny would have been "heartbroken" if another team had claimed him from the practice squad, why put him there in the first place? It makes absolutely no sense.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 4, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | October 4, 2010 3:45 PM |

Ain't it the truth. Someone stupid has taken control of Bean's computer today.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

chirp chirp

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 4, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

One thing I havent heard about as a pivitol play in the game was the missed two point conversion. i said it to my father in law when it happened. They needed a TD to win, not a FG to tie.

Of course if #5 stays in bounds its all moot.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 4, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

A Friend With Weed Is A Friend Indeed.

Select the Best Response:

a. I majored in Applied THC Technology.

b. I got my PHD in THC Technology and Practice.

c. Bob Marley has a tattoo of ME on his arm.

Moe rolls with 'c' as having Mista Marley's.

I'd say why, but I can't remember what I wanted to say.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Bob Marley has a tattoo of ME on his arm.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

Yeah, but its small compared to the tattoo he had of Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Nice win.

Torain TRUCKED that dude….Redskins highlight of the year so far, IMO. Portis looked decent too….not giving up on him just yet. Were going to need him in there to pick up Green Bay’s linebacker blitzes…..But keep giving Torain the ball too.

Thought AH92 played well, but not great. As long as he keeps getting better I will be happy.

I thought D Hall was playing pretty fiercely….he did half the damage to vick on that play. Nice Malachi crunch. Looks like he might be tired of hearing about how he can’t tackle. Like Carlos Rogers is getting tired of hearing how he can’t catch. Oh, wait……But seriously, I thought our secondary played very well. Jackson and Maclin were complete non factors, so I would say Rogers did his job. Just sux that he once again could have ended the game against a div rival but dropped the ball.

Seems like Orakpo gets held every time he rushes the QB….they should send him even more.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Does DThomas's performance against the defending NFL champions ring a bell? 7 receptions, 100 yards, 2 TDs, and a long rec of 40 yards. Remind me, besides Moss and Cooley, can any other WR on this team put up those numbers? He had more receptions in that game, under Zorn and with Campbell, than Galloway and Williams have combined over the last four games. Moss will be double covered from here on out, who will step up? Big mistake if it is true........

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 2:52 PM

Oh yeah, I remember that game!

That was the one where the majority of their starting defensive backfield was out injured, right? Awesome game!

No, the New Orleans starting secondary was intact.......with a couple of Pro Bowlers from the 2009 season

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 3:25 PM

Not to be an AH, but check this out:

Especially this part:

Early-game struggles

Early on against Washington, it appeared as if the Saints had a collective hangover of sorts from the New England game. Their pass defense, missing injured Randall Gay, Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter, struggled. New Orleans also was without injured linebackers Scott Fujita and Marvin Mitchell.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

And ragging on a guy who just avg'd 5.5 for you while tearin' his own shti up.

Heartless bastards.

He'll be back.. he always is.. lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 4, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but its small compared to the tattoo he had of Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 4, 2010 3:52 PM

Good one, Zeke. Been too long since we've had an LT reference.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Not to be an AH, but check this out:

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 4, 2010 3:55 PM

Nice find, stevek.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Of course if #5 stays in bounds its all moot.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 4, 2010 3:51 PM |

...or if "stone hands" Rogers makes that simple interception.

Kolb was smart - he hit Rogers in the hands where he new it was safe...

Posted by: edvar | October 4, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I know we should be celebrating This Week before looking ahead... But, This news on GB makes me smile!

HTTR!

Posted by: SkinMan3 | October 4, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

As soon as Torain scored his touchdown I dubbed him "Freight Train Torain."

Posted by: Masonman | October 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 2:52 PM

Oh yeah, I remember that game!

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 3:25 PM

Not to be an AH, but check this out:

Especially this part:

Early-game struggles

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 4, 2010 3:55 PM

2 out of 5 is not a "majority". Also, the only Pro Bowlers from that secondary were playing against Thomas during the saints game. All of the secondary played during the super bowl. Harper and Jenkins had better stats, in the super bowl, than both of your missing "majority".......LB's are not considered the "secondary"...

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse