Ryan Torain works to be a complete running back

torain10024721H22413794.jpg
Ryan Torain rushes for some of his 125 yards Sunday. (Jonathan Newton/The Post)

Young back Ryan Torain has impressed with his hard running, especially since Clinton Portis has been sidelined because of a severe groin injury.

Torain has rushed for 100 yards in the Redskins' last two games. Portis, however, is second to none among running backs at blocking, and Torain is still learning to be a complete back.

"I think he is making some strides," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "It is tough being a running back. You ask people to run but you are not really comfortable picking up base blitzes and nickel blitzes.

"He has come in without a lot of playing time and he has been in situations where he hasn't had a lot of reps. Getting a chance to play, getting a chance to get a lot more reps in practice, he should start to feel more comfortable in it and he should have a lot more success."

By Jason Reid  | October 26, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis, Ryan Torain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan says Jammal Brown is still recovering
Next: Football Insider Live: Bears recap, Lions preview

Comments

Good morning,

Dallas lost but the Giants won, I'm glad Dallas is done but we have two tough games with the Giants and one with the Eagles. We need two of those games.
Kitna looked good coming off the bench but don't expect that when teams have a week to prepare for him. He is not a threat to run like Romo.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 26, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Ryan needs to hold the ball high up like Tiki Barber did for the tail end of his career, 3 points of contact kiddo

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

rejoice my fellow redskin fans !

I hate when the cameras show jones in his made for tv owners box, but watching him slowly deteriorate into a child that had his candy stolen last nite was part of the delite in watching the cowboys sink to the bottom of the well

HTTR!!!!!

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Run, Forrest...Run

4-3

HTTR

Posted by: WRBD | October 26, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

What is up with ESPN s_cking Jerry Jones d_k last night. All of those idiots picked the Cowgirls to win except for Tom Jackson at least he has some integrity left. Then that infomercial they let Jones do before the game I've never seen that from any other owner.

Chucky was talking about the cowgirls at the beginning like they were the best team in football, I swear they might as well change the name from ESPN to JJCS.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 26, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

So December 19th, the skins are gonna either face a fresh off the injury Tony Romo, or a worn down by 7 weeks of beatings John Kitna... mmm

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Flound, the desired outcome came to pass...not worried about the Giants though, as we have to play them twice and can control our own fate with the result of those games. Glad we're playing them later rather than sooner...I think we'll be much better down the stretch than we are now and if we're realistically in position to make a run at the division, we'll know it by then. Some up here were talking about wanting Dallas to win so we'd end up in 1st place again...I don't know about you, but I'd rather be in 1st place in Week 17 than be in 1st place Week 7. But that's just me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 7:31 AM |

I'll secont that brown,

been saying it all along. kick dallas when they're down and let's not forget our last game of the year is at fedex against the giant's. long way to go, but you never know, could be for the division

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

The good news about Torain is he is going to get better and better. The bad news is he put the ball in the dirt twice on Sunday and Shanahan won't tolerate much of that. He doesn't have much in the way of options right now, but when Portis comes back, Torain better have ball security down to a science or he will "fumble" his hold on the starting job.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 26, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but I think we've seen the last of Tampax, Peterbilt, Irvin, Romo, etc. on the blog.

Although Tampax will probably show up today and say how the Cowboys are right where they want to be, and would have won last night if Romo hadn't gotten hurt.

Cause Romo plays defense right? Thats the reason they gave up 500 yards of Giants offense.

Good luck selling those Super Bowl tickets you guys paid $10,000 for.

Cowboys 2010 = the most epic of fails.

Although I'm a bit sad that its the probably the end for Wade.

Enjoy the rest of the season!

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 26, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 26, 2010 7:22 AM

Dude, that's how ESPN rolls...I realized that a few years ago when their ENTIRE set of analysts used to be Cowboys. They had Irvin, Emmitt, Parcells and Keyshawn all under their employ...not because they're insightful, but because they wore that f-ing star. It's a two-bit operation that emphasizes style over substance, so it's only appropriate that they snuggle up to JJ's nuts.

A lot of people were picking Dallas just because they were playing at home against a division opponent and mainly due to the thought, "They can't possibly go 1-5...can they?" I'll give 'em credit that they probably don't get crushed like that if Romo doesn't get hurt. Regardless, they were finished before that game even started...they still have the Eagles (twice), Colts, Saints, and Packers on the schedule...no chance they go 7-3 from here on out just to reach 8-8, let alone win 9 or 10 to make the playoffs.

Seeing those a-holes lose really is every bit as satisfying as seeing the Redskins win...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

from John Keim

Joey Galloway is not exactly proving that he still has anything left as a player » In seven games, the 16-year vet has caught eight passes, which wouldn’t be bad but he was the No. 2 receiver for the first six games..

The snarky among us will say that Galloway is at least a professional wide receiver, unlike some former redskins weren't.

Goodness knows his attention to detail, humilty, lack of tats, me-centered celebration, and modeling career have really made him a valuable asset to the passing offense.

(remove sarcasm)

Galloway's issues notwithstanding, redskin fans do have to like the fact that the team has been mature enough to elevate Anthony Armstrong into a starting role.

Armstrong is adequate for now, and will be a much better player later in the season should a playoff push be in the works.

And with that being said, you just have to wonder when the redskins will stop using Fred Davis as a blocking tight end.

Davis' size and athleticism should create match up problems for most defenses--but we have yet to see any significant scheme use in this regard.

Let's get Freddie split like a wide receiver or put him in motion so a linebacker or strong safety has cover a guy with size on the move.

Let him do what Galloway hasn't done: be a proper option in the passing game.

The lions will feature B Pettigrew in this fashion this week and you have to hope the skins don't leave Freddie dead.

Joey Galloway might not satisfy.

So let Fred Davis get more of his time in the passing offense as there are other options to block on passing plays.

It makes no

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Although I'm a bit sad that its the probably the end for Wade.

Enjoy the rest of the season!

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 26, 2010 7:37 AM

Don't worry...the mediocrity will continue when they hire Norv to replace Wade in the offseason.

You heard it here first.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow I never thought of Ol Norv Turkey Neck Turner coming back to run the show in Big D. That may happen. Good call.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 26, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

You heard it here first.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 7:48 AM |

norv isn't a big enough splash for jones. look for jones to go after cowher in the off season. even if cowher doesn't take the job, jones gets some more attention through the media.

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Freight-Torain!

Posted by: edvar | October 26, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Jones is only going to hire a coach he can control, his days of hiring Parecells types are over. He is the Owner/GM/Head coach, he will not hire Cower because he doesn't play that game.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 26, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

If I may nit-pick about torain

besides the 2 fumbles, I hope torain would stop refusing the hole and quit trying to run outside when he should make his cut up the field

he's doing really well, but he has cost us a few first downs in that regard

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

moe, agreed about Davis, the more the passing game gets him involved it just makes Moss/Cooley that much more effective....on a another note, that Giants offense looked good last night...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 8:02 AM

Flounder is right...JJ would have a better shot at hiring Bill Clinton than Bill Cowher. Cowher wants his own FO type to run the show (if he doesn't do it himself) and there's ZERO chance JJ lets go of the keys to the GM gig. He's gonna want a guy who will let him get wrist deep in his ass and be his puppet and Norv is the perfect patsy. Remember...Norv was in the running for that job before Wade took over and was JJ's Plan B. They already run Norv's offense there and it would be (in his mind) a seamless transition. Only problem is that Norv is the offensive version of Wade...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 26, 2010 8:12 AM |

good point flound. I could imagine jones coaching the team himself, clapping his hands on the sideline and patting the boy's on their butts

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Here's to hoping that Lebrom tears his acl tonight.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

"...that Giants offense looked good last night..."

I know folks will throw stones my way, so I'll go along and state the obvious:

The New York Giants are the best team in the NFC East.

The Washington Redskins are the second best team in the NFC East.

Thing is, once you take in a couple weekend of AFC games, you see that the NFC overall is just not that good.

Is either situation bad if you're a redskin fan?

Naw.

Collapses in Dallas, Minnesota, and Philly open playoff doors for the skins.

Injuries have hampered the packers' rise, and we beat them.

Rising NFC teams like Tampa and St Louis aren't really threats to enter those doors come December.

And in Nawlins, we see a team that lived by the turnover, die because of the ones it gives away.

So Atlanta, New York, Washington, Seattle, and a hodgepodge of soft NFC teams will all look to control their destinies as the season moves forward.

Ours is a good situation:

5-3 for now.

5-3 later.

That's 10-6 playoffs, ya'll.

And with that being said, you may pick up your stones.

And start throwing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Thank heavens for ravens bye this week...or it would be another doozy of a decision this week for PlayAction...they just keep getting better and better...man they just don't want any competition up here for their beloved football squad...hmmmm should I catch whatever football game they make me watch...or this...

It's Alive! (TV-PG, NR) A small-town farmer feeds passersby to the area's cave-dwelling lizard man.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 25, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Lmao, I just caught this from yesterday. I think if the Redskins weren't playing I'd rather catch reruns of the Golden Girls than watch that crap!

You might have to find a different place to watch the game this week, the other Monks are starting to complain. I guess you'd better put Bud back in the fridge, the Miller Lite is making them constipated!
Wow, you're a lot of trouble, they didn't complain that much when we took in that pedafile last year!

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

moe, no stoning for the truth....they can run well, and have a bunch of good wideouts...they ball on offense and defense....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

on a another note, that Giants offense looked good last night...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 8:19 AM

Which is exactly why I'm glad we don't see them till the end of the year.

I expect this team to improve as a whole and if we can get the defense to play as it did Sunday (and against the Eagles), then I like our chances against them. Their WRs are pretty damn good and the only way we'll get the better of them is if we take out their QB...early and often.

That said, for all the talk of their improved defense, they sure did get gashed by the Cowpies...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

time for some comments from dallas fans on the dallas morning news blogs. I'll put up the headline for the thread. I'll start off with a redskin troll on the dallas board. god I love it !!

Taylor: Without Tony Romo, Cowboys season is officially over

03:08 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bob Smith 5000
7:09 AM on October 26, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Bob Smith 5000. Show DetailsHide Details

what team in its right mind would have a back up QB from a team that didnt win a game???..The Conboys of course!!!...You cant make this stuff up!...Stick a fork in ya, your DONE!!!!

Skins Fan!!

comin ta getcha tampax

turf tamer
6:52 AM on October 26, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore turf tamer. Show DetailsHide Details

Well its time for Jerry to eat an entire humble pie and think about whats best for his football team. What we need is someone to come in and clean house, and hire an entire new staff, that goes for Garret too. We will start to hear names like Cowher, Gruden, Dungy, etc.. and when you do, dont get your hopes up..These guys are great coaches, who are enjoying their life outside of coaching. They arent idiots, they dont want to work for Jerry Jones...He continously hires "puppets" for coaches..aside from Jimmy Johnson and Parcells..the only 2 GOOD coaches ever hired by Jones..So dont expect a change in the way Jerry does things, until he realizes he is the main problem with this organization. And until he does that, its gonna be same old same old..as much as I hope it doesnt happen, my guess is Jerry hires Garrett to be the next head coach...

your on to something flound

dallazfan1
6:44 AM on October 26, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore dallazfan1. Show DetailsHide Details

Wade,

I for one have slammed you to now avail, so I will wish you well as you were dealt the hand by none other than your boss Jerry. You should tell Jerry the following:

Hey Jerry,

I quit pal....That's right, take this team along with your hand picked coaches and shove it. Bring your little play card out the both, and down here and coach your team with a birds eye view. You should be able to come and enjoy it all from the sidelines as I have, in plain view of the fans YOU have so dissapointed. Granted, I have my faults but YOU have tied my hands without a clipboard behind my back for the last time. You can draft, give pep talks, and even get a little gatorade if you somehow manage to muster up a win. Good luck and good riddance!

Wade

this was us last year. god, I'm freakin loving this

HTTR !!!!!!

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I like Torain, but wow, he had a very QUIET 125 yards. He ran well early and then they kinda went away from it. He does punish people, and his average YPC is awesome, something we're not used to around these parts. Just one problem with him, and I hope this is the only time I say this:

Ryan Torain = Fumbling NERD!

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 26, 2010 8:12 AM |

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

Sure. He won 3 Super Bowls with Jimmy Johnson's teams and squandered the team Parcell's left, but he's itching to get Chan Gailey and Dave Campo back to compete with Shanahan, Reid, and Coughlin. You guys totally have him figured out.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 26, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I am truly sorry for all Dallass fans. As a Redskins fan, I was hoping to sh*t-stomp you fools again with your full complement of players.

Welcome to 2 and 14 and I don't even know where the other win comes from.

I am willing to put down $100, seriously, that Jerruh personally drafts a QB in round 1 of the draft in April '11.

I think that falls into the "book it" category.

Cheers!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 26, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Wishing for injuries Bean? Classy stuff. But don't you think a guy who spends his weekends hiding in a tree with a loaded gun (when he isn't matching wits with fish) should keep his karma in check?

Posted by: mack1 | October 26, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

hessone

Yes and no.

One reason he gets yards is that the cutback from the outside run has him hitting defenders when they are off balance.

And thus, a missed tackle or two that equals 3-4 additional yards.

It's like Torain is Eric Dickerson without the breakaway speed.

So what we have to hope for is the development of a complimentary speed back (C Simpson?) to go with Torain.

Or: next spring, we draft one kid who has both power and speed.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

By the way, did anyone see if that Cowpie fan posted he usual rant on YouTube??? I'd like to see another meltdown!

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Is it possible to go into Detroit and beat them by like 14. It would be hard to imagine, since we play so close to the vest. At this stage of the game I'll take a 10-7 win and it will come down the last play, just sayin'.

Posted by: joeboggs | October 26, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Here's to hoping that Lebrom tears his acl tonight.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 8:26 AM

Agreed. His incessant whining and crying took a whole new level with that idiotic commercial he just put out. Basically a 90 second pity party...just pathetic.

Moe, I hate to break it to ya (OK...no I don't...I LOVE to point this out) but 10-6 probably wins the NFC East. Maybe even gets a 2nd seed. The NFC as a whole is mediocre and I'm not entirely convinced that someone eventually pulls away from the pack. In that instance, I like our chances...we've got proven winners at coach and QB, plus a few playmakers on defense. Giants look good now, but how often have we seen them peak in October and sh*t the bed in December?

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Early line out of Vegas

Lions favored by 2.5

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 26, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | October 26, 2010 8:42 AM |

- second -

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I was serious wasn't I mack...go get your masturbatory fantasies filled elsewhere, other than keeping tabs on what I post, and writing about me in your diary...mk??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Early line out of Vegas

Lions favored by 2.5

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 26, 2010 8:45 AM

Good

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Well, if TORAIN wants to stick in this league, he better adapt a less upright style of running. otherwise, the balls going to be on the ground more than it's in his arms. JUST SAYIN.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 26, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Some football players have "it," some don't. KEILAND WILLIAMS..........don't.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 26, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

10-6 wins the EAST. Then let's get to 5-3 and see how it goes from there.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 26, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Mista - agree completely. What about promoting Terrance Austin from the practice squad? Good speed and hands and solid route running, if preseason is any indication.

Posted by: quinn3 | October 26, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Taylor: Without Tony Romo, Cowboys season is officially over

03:08 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Jon R
6:37 AM on October 26, 2010

I bet Jerry's bartender is dreading going to work this week.

I'll drink too that

FumbleFingers
6:39 AM on October 26, 2010

It was over before it started. And now Jerrah's failure is complete after his close-up intro to last nights game. What a complete bafoon; the Giants gave us a complete beat-down after spotting us 10 points. You simply can't compete with hard work and intense preparation. Jerrah has got to do the humane thing and put this old dog out of it's misery. And yes, that includes stepping down as GM.

Scoonie97
5:44 AM on October 26, 2010

This is awful. I'd rather have that sorry, overrated QB in the lineup as the losses keep mounting.

At least you goons have a new bandwagon to jump on.... well, for those of you that aren't Yankees fans....

ouch, that hurt

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

On "d" thanx to ORAKPO, McINTOSH, HALL, LANDRY, ALEXANDER, and dare I say it......HAYNESWORTH, but I got my fingers crossed on the last one.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 26, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

The Skins did play a few two TE sets last weekend. Davis was targeted 3 times, with 2 catches, for 28 yds...

Posted by: siris | October 26, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

this is quality reading here, HTTR !!!!

AverageTeam
5:20 AM on October 26, 2010

Wow!!! Love this post from Joemyers2, wish I had Jerry's email address to send it to him,

Ding dong the witch is dead and so too my friends are your Cowboys. Sad, but Wade will get let go and the Cowboy's problem still remains. It reared its ugly head after a Superbowl when a drunk Jerry proclaimed that he and about 1000 other coaches could have coached that team to a Superbowl, thus alienating and eventually losing the best decision Jerry ever made, hiring Jimmy Johnson. With each failed year, Jimmy's legacy remains assured. He was the reason the Boys won, won big, and won consistently. Jerruh, put up or shut up still the motto for this week or are you going to play the we're still in it mathematically card? DFW awaits. What a fool you are Jerry. I grew up a Cowboys fan all my life but now after each loss I know its one step closer towards getting you off your pompous arse and back into your luxury suite where you should remain, quiet and out of everyone's sight.

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

i would love it if people started tackling marion barber by grabbing his hair.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 26, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 26, 2010 8:44 AM

You saw how he was after the first two weeks...I'm sure he's killed himself by now.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

You do have a point.

The time to peak in the NFL is the Nov.-December stretch--not now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

i would love it if people started tackling marion barber by grabbing his hair.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 26, 2010 8:58 AM |

excellent lmafo

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Paging Pampa for a detailed explanation about the Cowboys and their "real" offense and defense... waiting....

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 26, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

hessone

It reared its ugly head after a Superbowl when a drunk Jerry proclaimed that he and about 1000 other coaches could have coached that team to a Superbowl,...

An Ibo proverb sums this up:

There is nothing to fear from someone who shouts.

And this is why folks what got sense never paid any attention to the sports media pimps who bragged so much about the Cowboys.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

So how do the skins beat Detroit???

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------

Once, when Burgess left. You are thinking of Dallas.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 26, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 26, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe - your following analysis:

Collapses in Dallas, Minnesota, and Philly open playoff doors for the skins.

Injuries have hampered the packers' rise, and we beat them.

Ours is a good situation:

5-3 for now.

5-3 later.

That's 10-6 playoffs, ya'll.

And with that being said, you may pick up your stones.

And start throwing.

is spot on. I agree 100%, although I'm not sure the Skins can make it to 10-6 without a significant improvement on offense.

Also, if I had to pick one game left on the schedule that is absolutely unwinnable, it's at Tennessee on 11/21.

By the way, where is peterbilt? pampa? The cockroaches retreat into the darkness when reality's light exposes their "team" for what it really is.

Posted by: columbiapike | October 26, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

No Matt, I'm thinking of the Ginas...the only year they DIDN'T start fast and limp to 8-8 was when they won the SB in '07. Otherwise, it's 4-0, 5-0, then wrapping up the season at 8-8.

Dallas also has a rep for crapping the bed in December, but NY under Coughlin does too.

Ryp, my favorite from Tex was the crap about how they'll handle business at home "as they always do"...this, the same team that got run over by the Ravens a couple years ago in their last game at Texas Stadium, and the team that in 2010 has yet to win a single game at home. Some forms of stupid just doesn't have a remedy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

BTW...just noticed that Nate Allen, who will forever be known as "the McNabb pick", was getting lit up on at least two of Kenny Britt's 3 TDs on Sunday. Nice...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Moe, 10-6 might be a bit high.

I'm hoping to beat Detroit and go 4-4 after the break. 9-7 should be enough in the NFC this year.

We need to beat Dallas without Romo (Romo won't be playing... even if he is ready, they won't bring him back in a lost season), the Giants at least once, and 2 other games.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 26, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Lions! Lions! Lions! That's all everyone need to care about.

Run! Run! Run! Kyle needs to stop his fancy pass game and run the ball down Lions 32nd ranked run defense.

Mike needs to take charge if Kyle continues his fancy passing game!

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

beep peeps

Posted by: hessone | October 26, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Lions and Eagles are two critical games. You go into break with a win and knock Eagles out of NFC East after the break.

One on one against Giants with last game in FedEx Field is perfect end of the season and control of NFC East.

Second NFC East in last 18 years is best outcome one can wish. Everything else is bonus.

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 26, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Well hellloooo Mr. Fancy Pants!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 26, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Mike needs to take charge if Kyle continues his fancy passing game!

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 26, 2010 9:39 AM

You sound like an old fuddy-duddy (corny label intended) with crap like this...they've been passing because they have to. The last two weeks Torain has been over 100 yards and the running game has been emphasized. Try and apply a little common sense...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"i would love it if people started tackling marion barber by grabbing his hair."

Gotta question:

If the cowboys release Barber this pcoming offseason (most folks like F Jones as a starter), would you support bringing him to D.C.?

I would.

To me, the cowboys don't feature him enough, especially late in games where his punishing running style would take advantge of a tired defense.

The cowboys should be a running team, but they are not.

Which is why they are where they are: nowhere.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

john keim

hmmm... those options would be... what? trent williams is holding his own, but jammal brown is rotating with heyer. heyer. portis, easily the teams's best blocking back, is out. mcnabb is getting beat up; thought i saw a stat recently that he is one of the most often hit qbs in football. who is going to do this blocking keim speaks of?

don't get me wrong. i would love to see davis more involved in the passing game, but right now, the redskins' pass protection is lacking.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | October 26, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 26, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Mike needs to take charge if Kyle continues his fancy passing game!

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 26, 2010 9:39 AM
__________________________________________

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 26, 2010 9:46 AM
_______________________________________
Fancy pant Kyle forgot about run game after 1st quarter. He had to be reminded about it in the 4th quarter.

Pay attention to details. Your IQ make get over 60!

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

these so-called trap games are infuriating. the skins always seam to spinelessly wiff on them.

this lions team has a bad record but they were in every game they played against good teams, and were in position to come back against the ginas.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 26, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Junior has been frustrating me since the Colts game. If there ever was a time that you are able and NEED to run the ball, it's against the Colts.

The Old Man seems to feel the same way at times: during the audio released by NFL films during the Cowboys game, you could hear Shanny yelling at Junior, "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CALL THAT!!?"

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 26, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Lavar has lost his head! wow! he just became a story!!! saying that the games are fixed because of the way NFL hires coaches, "recievers MAKE THEMSELVES defenseless"...WTF!!! lost any respect that was left for the dude...

watch the show...someone post the link

Posted by: dealer1 | October 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Redskins, short version:

Defense is improving; AH positive developments are gold.

On the other hand...Skins offense has been a work in reverse since the Houston game. Not sure what they can do at this point to get it going. Boils down to injuries, lack of talent, lack of depth.

I certainly don't see the Redskins winning the division; if things fall right it may be possible to win a wildcard playoff spot though.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 26, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

High and Tight Ryan!!

Posted by: ho-skin | October 26, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Torain is going to be just fine. He was a fifth round pick, and there have been some good players who began as fifth round picks. He (sort of) played in two games in his rookie year, 2008, and then got released. He can be taught to get a better handle on the ball. He can be taught to make better decisions. He can be developed to fit the Redskins' offense. He'll be a much better player at the end of the season, barring injury, and in two or three years he'll be a marquee back if not a franchise player.

Posted by: jlhare1 | October 26, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree---put some of the flashy plays aside and pull them back out vs philly on Nov15. Run your ass of 'skin's! rest big mike....let daryl young play and give him some touches----nuffin fancy just pound the piss out of it and lets get to the bye.

stop counting wins folks--bad karma!

Barry Switzer might be getting another call from Jerry--jerry's logic will be: "well golly gee last time I brought him in 'ere he went and won a super bowl".......

seriously though--how much you wanna bet kurt warner gets a call this week?

Posted by: tabtool | October 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"they sure did get gashed by the Cowpies..."
The cowboys had 180 total offensive yards with 3 minutes to go in the game. Most of their points, outside of the Bryant punt return, came off of turnovers on a short field by the offense. When the game was on the line, the cowboys offense had no sustained drives versus the Giants and were completely dominated. The only thing that kept the game relatively competitive was carlessness by Eli and the WRs on the first 2 drives. They corrected that quickly enough however.

Posted by: jryan420 | October 26, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"they sure did get gashed by the Cowpies..."

Posted by: jryan420 | October 26, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

i'm impressed with the way Ryan is stepping up, but lately, late at night, i find i dream of the Skins drafting John Clay

Posted by: mdrockjock | October 26, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

edvar: Freight Torain! Cool Beans! I love it! - Engine, Engine Forty-Six! HHTR!!!

Posted by: wiseoldude | October 27, 2010 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wiseoldude | October 27, 2010 5:49 AM | Report abuse

On our board (CPND) I posted back in May that the ATV (All Torain Vehicle) would take over as the lead back from a declining, increasingly injury prone Portis by the end of the season, and was laughed at by many. Funny how many of those posters have failed to "show up" the last few weeks.

You da man Ryan!!!!!!!!

Posted by: PCinOz | October 27, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

You wanna bet kurt warner gets a call this week?

Posted by: tabtool

Too much of a Jesus freak for Jerruh. He runs with those of the warmer climes: my bet is on Oliver North

Posted by: ElYeah | October 27, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse