Clinton Portis hopes to break team rushing record

Still hoping to break the franchise rushing record, Redskins running back Clinton Portis said Tuesday he has "no doubts" he will return this season despite a severe injury that is expected to sideline him at least a month.

During his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan's The Mike Wise Show with Holden Kushner, Portis said his groin injury is improving daily. And Portis is motivated to return, at least in part, because of goals that could be within his grasp, including reaching the 10,000-yard plateau and breaking Hall of Famer John Riggins' Redskins rushing mark.

"I'm gonna be running the ball again this year," Portis said. "Now, I can't control what kind of uniform it's in. But I would hope it's in the Redskins' uniform.

"But I got no doubt that I'll recover from this injury and I'll be back out to help my teammates. Unless something miraculous or something crazy happens, knock on wood. But just as far as this groin injury and me coming back to the game of football, I think I'll be fine."

The nine-year veteran has rushed for 9,891 yards with Denver and Washington, including 195 yards this season on 49 carries (a 4.0-yard average). Riggins is the Redskins' all-time leading rusher with 7,472 yards. Portis is second on the list with 6,792 yards in seven seasons with Washington.

"There's a lot of motivation to get back in there and hit 10,000," Portis said. "You don't come this close to drop me off here. I think for myself, I'll be there, man. It's no ifs ands or buts about it...I wanted Emmitt Smith numbers. Now, just being able to get 10,000 and join elite company would be a great [accomplishment], so I'm looking forward to it."

And then there's the matter of trying to eclipse Riggins, who is 680 yards ahead of Portis.

"I think that'd be even better," Portis said. "To be the leading rusher in a storied franchise right now, it's exciting, just the chase alone, being that it's been held for so long. You see the love that he still get for having that record? And I think he's great in the community.

"It's hard to have that kind of tenure with one franchise, where you have an opportunity to break a John Riggins record, you know? When you say, 'John Riggins,' you thinking Super Bowls, toughness, everything that he instilled and everything that he lived for. So, for myself, to even be in that company, you know, one, two or however it pan out, to even be in that company is a great [accomplishment]."

History indicates that running backs who have carried heavy workloads suffer major drop-offs in production after 30. Portis, in football terms, is an old 29 because of the number of carries he's had and how hard he has run and blocked throughout his career. And Portis has a history of injuries.

After learning he had suffered the third major injury of his career, Portis said he never thought his career was over. "Nah, man, I don't think like that. I know with the treatment and the focus and desire to get back on the field, I'll be back. I don't worry about, 'Oh, it's over.' "

Portis, however, declined to offer a timeline for his return. The Redskins said he would be sidelined at least four to six weeks. "I don't know," he said. "I never thought nine days later, I'd still be sore."

By Jason Reid  | October 12, 2010; 11:56 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis: 'I'll be back'
Next: Donovan McNabb calm when game's on the line

Comments

monk, what's your deal with Galloway? I don't want him starting either but if he's the best we've got to play the other side of Moss then that's what we have to do. I'd understand if he were out there at the expense of someone that can actually play, but he's not. Someone steps up, he goes to the bench. If not, he plays. Simple really...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 12, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't really have a deal with Galloway. Someone said he has made a couple first downs so I joked around. And when I called ztoichi77 a NERD, it was just a joke. I don't hate Galloway, but I don't feel defenses are afraid of him. And I think AA can emerge as the starter opposite Moss, so if Galloway IS starting, he is taking away a spot from AA. I have no problem with him being our 3rd receiver, and I know he's old, but if he can still go and make plays for us, I say "Run Old Man"!

Posted by: monk811 | October 12, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be Bill Cowher next for the Cowboys, right? I'm not looking forward to that, any more than our NFC East brethren looked forward to Shanahan's coming to the Skins to restore them to legitimacy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 11:26 AM

I'm not so impressed with the NFC East right now. Every team seems like they're falling apart. Age and mileage and such as. So far, this season sucks for gambling b/c teams are starting to be so evenly matched. Some teams that were expected to be good just aren't (Vikings, Dallas, New Orleans, Cincy, Indy) and some teams that were supposed to suck don't (KC, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit). Seems like too many teams are clustered in the middle ... minus Buffalo and Carolina ... who are each involved in an different kind of cluster. San Fran (like Detroit) is not as bad as their record shows.

Posted by: dcsween | October 12, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 12, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

These two could have been one post.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 12, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

peyton manning is imho (and many others') the best qb in the league. seems to be operating on a whole different level of awareness than everybody else out there.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 12, 2010 12:00 PM

Maybe so, but his level doesn't work as well this season without the chance to run the hurry up offense (new ball spotting methods) and with the refs behind the QB rather than behind the MLB. Plus Indy's defense has not yet clicked.

Posted by: dcsween | October 12, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Hope springs eternal within the human beast.

Much bigger Riggo fan (for obvious reasons). But records are there for the breaking.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm just keeping the Cowher-to-the-Cowboys thing alive because, well, money will prevail. Jerreh will at some point realize that the revolving cast of clowns he's hired since Jimmy Johnson left (with Parcells the significant exception) are a real problem.

Dan Snyder was stuck in the same pattern, with Gibbs II the significant exception. And now we've got a real coach with a winning pedigree and a distinctive style, and five games in things look pretty darn different.

As far as "that guy will never coach for that owner," I cite Schottenheimer's miraculous turnaround... in a matter of months, he went from saying he wouldn't work for an owner like Snyder to working for Snyder.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

What's the over/under on Riggins pulling a Nancy Kerrigan/Tanya Harding and having Portis's injury become a "setback"?
I say in 3 weeks, a 'Pizza Delivery Guy' rings Portis's doorbell, and when he goes to hand him the pizza he 'accidentally' falls over and into Portis's groin. Oops!

Hey, Riggo is pretty ruthless, it could happen......

Posted by: monk811 | October 12, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

As a guy who actually likes Peyton Manning as a player, and who has him as my fantasy QB, I hope he throws for six touchdowns and 400 yards this Sunday night... only to lose the game when his pass into the end zone for the go-ahead TD is caught by a Redskin as time expires.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

4th, I'd rather have Stewart than Williams for the same reason Portis is done ... mileage concerns.

Posted by: dcsween | October 12, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, he will...YEEEEHAAARRR!! I HAS ACHIEVED CONSHUSNESS, LIKE THE BOODER!!! YYYOOOOOWWWW!!! HAYL TO THE REDSKIN!!!HAYL TO THE REDSKIN!!! HAYL TO THE REDSKIN!!!

Posted by: frak | October 12, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 12:17 PM

Schottenheimer and Cowher in the same post? Marty's your counter-example? Key difference: Schottenheimer had no other offers. Cowher could have any open vacancy in the NFL, and he can name his own price at most of them.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 12, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Monk-
Portis' injury is already a setback.
You notice Kerrigan didn't whack Harding.

Nate-
Schotty's miraculous turn-around lasted 1 year. Close to that in San Diego as well. Successful coaches who clash with owners have a problem.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | October 12, 2010 12:24 PM

Quick NERD conversion for those interested: CP has rushed for 5.62 miles in his NFL career.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 12, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 12:17 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | October 12, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of that, didn't Parcells say something about not working for a guy like Jerry Jones before he was hired? I don't know, maybe it's just the "I Hate Jerry Jones" voices in my head!

Posted by: monk811 | October 12, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 12:21 PM

Carlos Rogers. Book it!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 12, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I like our chances in this one.

Look for a stronger and more commited running game, and a more accurate McNabb. After his rocky performance this week I bet he comes out throwing lasers.

Skins 28 colts 17

Posted by: Devo2 | October 12, 2010 12:07 PM

I like your attitude but the only way that happens is with TWO defensive TDs.

Something is wrong with McNabb's legs or back or some such because he wasn't running for first downs. And btwn Torain, K. Williams, and Chad Simpson, plus two hurt OTs, I don't see the running game getting that much better in one week.

Still, if the Colts can get injured at key spots and/or get called for penalties at the perfectly wrong time (for them) like the Packers did, this is definitely a winnable game ... but I'm taking the under. I'm guessing that the spread for this is going to be something like the Colts by 2.5 ... and I'll take those points.

Posted by: dcsween | October 12, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 12, 2010 12:32 PM

No. But I could swallow my pride and work for Jerry Jones. Or Parcells. But they'd REALLY have to make it worth my while.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 12, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Monk-
Portis' injury is already a setback.
You notice Kerrigan didn't whack Harding.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I know, that's why Riggo wouldn't be doing it, he'd hire someone. I also said in 3 weeks when he is starting to heal, there would be a setback!
It's just a hypothetical situation out of my sick mind, just go with it.....

Posted by: monk811 | October 12, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

You sick little monk-ey!!

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis can break any record he wants. It means squat. He ain't won anything. He'll nevere mean what Larry Brow or Riggo or Charley Harraway meas to this team. It's all about him,all the time.

Posted by: ridgely1 | October 12, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

The only way Portis comes back and starts if the running game continues to struggle ... and even then ...

Portis is surely gone next year. Hard to see them keeping him when they could conceivably draft a replacement in the higher rounds ...
He is still a great blocker that one can see ... but his rushing ability had declined with years of pounding. He hasn't been very good for going on two and a half years now. Time to head for the sidelines and the oxygen mask just like Riggo.

Posted by: periculum | October 12, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't care less about CP's desire for a legacy in the Skins' record books.

I know there are people that are fall-on-their-sword in love with the guy. I have never been a CP fan and always considered him more of a Snyder/Cerrato guy than a Gibbs guy or a real, true Redskin.

I remember specifically an interview where CP was asked about his take/appreciation relative to Redskin franchise history and his prospective place there in the future.

He laughed - almost scoffed - and smiled and said almost verbatim, "Man..this is my job. I'm from Mississippi and we don't know nothin' about the Redskins. My agent worked out the deal and now I'm here"

Now that's not an exact quote but extremely accurate though from what I remember hearing.

Nah, no love for that dude. I am glad his pockets is straight. I am glad he got to be in a few Eastern Motors spots. I am glad his contribution to the Michael Vick dog-fighting issue was , "Huntin' is legal" and I am glad he made me laugh a few times as coach Jankey Spanky, Sheriff Gonnagetcha and Southeast Jerome (who CP reported to have been assassinated in South East) but I have never and will never think of CP as a core, historical Redskin guy.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 12, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

You sick little monk-ey!!

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Awesome play on my name, this Bud's for you!

Posted by: monk811 | October 12, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 12, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

NERD!!!!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 12, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep, my point is that all the people posting up here with such certainty that Cowher would *never* go to Dallas are perhaps overstating it a bit. There's a chance, I think, however slim it may be.

Money and pride and "legacy" are on the line for both Jerry Jones and Bill Cowher, and that's a lot of motivation.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

JReid you are a master at taking one radio interview and making multiple blog post out of it...I mean you and 1 maybe 2 paragraphs and suddenly it all appears to be new to you...we up here in RI however don't see it like that..if you aren't posting new info then don't...why don't you go check with Harvey to see if he can bark out a few postings for you...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 12, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

NPI there is no such thing as a "true Redskin" or a "real Redskin".

They're all there for the same reason.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 12, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 1:00 PM

Politics makes strange bedfellows. Money, pride and legacy make stranger bedfellows?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 12, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Where Cowher will end up:

Carolina
New York Ginas
San Diego(only if AJ Smith gets axed along w Norv)

Carolina clearly the frontrunner.

So far, the Ginas are doing just enough to kill themselves in the long run by winning enough to keep Coughlin around.

If San Diego goes on their usual run, Norv (and Aj) stick around. Norv needs a special teams coach. BAD. Losses at KC and Oakland directly the result of very poor teams play.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 12, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

ridgely1, what exactly did Larry Brown and Charley Harraway win that was different from what Clinton Portis has won? I get your point about how beloved those guys were, but they didn't win diddly squat, so you might oughta throw that out of your equation.

I for one have been looking forward to Clinton's setting the Skins' career rushing record. I love him, and I've loved him as a Redskin, beset as he's been by injuries and lousy O lines (or incompetent offenses) in various of his seasons in the burgundy and gold. What can I say, I love the dude.

And I've never understood all the mean-spirited criticism if not downright hatred he elicits from so many of the Redskin faithful.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

beeps, I wouldn't see Cowher/Jones as strange bedfellows in the least.

They could and doubtless would claim to be united in their shared commitment to winning championships, that old chestnut. And y'know what, I wouldn't doubt them if they said that, even if it took a ten million dollar a year contract (or whatever) to lure Cowher to big D.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see CP back this season, but I hope Torain steals the starting job away from him. Torain is doing a better job picking up blockers, and now he has to show us he can hang 100 yards on a competitor week in and week out. He'll get his chance this week if the defense can contain Manning.

I didn't see the Colts' last game but it sounded like Manning was a little off on his passes. Could it be that he is finally showing some signs of aging? Orakpo can help destroy his accuracy with a few bone crunching sacks.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 12, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 12, 2010 1:07 PM
------------------------------------------
There a lot of other special teams coaches in the league. Take Danny Smith - please.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 12, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 12, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Manning's O-Line was horrendous at times last week. The left tackle especially.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 12, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

NPI there is no such thing as a "true Redskin" or a "real Redskin".

They're all there for the same reason.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 12, 2010 1:04 PM |

Understood. BUT, in short, you don't have to advertise that you're only here for the caish.

McNabb's been here for only a few months. The dude is already getting involved in the community. Darrell Green invested millions of HIS OWN dough into his youth center/programs. Frankly, it doesn't take much other than to be a solid player and a non-doosh bag. Monte Coleman won't make the HOF but he is a true Redskin.

I think there are players, current and past who we can look at and know without hesitation that they are true Redskins. I think it's safe to say, there will be a lot of folks who never think that way about Clinton "Vlade Divac" Portis.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 12, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

RSH, agree to disagree re Danny Smith. I like the guy, I think he is a good coach, and is a trusted game day LT for his head coach. There is a reason he is the only holdover from Zorn's "staff".

Just like Danny White's center had to snap the ball, Danny Smith had to call Swinging Gate again.

You can only tell him, you cant make him listen, you feel me???

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 12, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Portis - blah, blah, blah. Break Riggo's rushing record all you want; no one really cares. Ask any fan and they'd much prefer you deliver Riggo's Super Bowl record.

Posted by: katedog | October 12, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

jcnjcnj

"JReid you are a master at taking one radio interview and making multiple blog post out of it...I mean you and 1 maybe 2 paragraphs and suddenly it all appears to be new to you..."

Sho you right.

It's like taking a cookie and writing an extended essay on each crumb.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 12, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Parcells is the he wants to "shop for the groceries"

and if you look at this list he"s as bad or worse than Vinnie

2008..round 1 Jake Long.round 2 Phillip Merling(whom alot of you guys were ragging on the skins for not drafting)and Chad Henne.round 3 Kendall Langford..

2009...round 1 Vontae Davis.round 2 Pat White(lmao)and Sean Smith.round 3 Patrick Turner...

2010 We'll just see how that plays out

So that's Jake Long and Chad Henne(not very good),on offense,and Vontae Davis,and kendall Langford on deffense,with only Sean Smith serving in a reserve roll with the team...

Would you really want him running your team?

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 12, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Danny Smith is the man. Shocker that when he got a real returner, we look dangerous as hell in that aspect of the game.

And trust me, Danny's scheme is what's funneling opposing returners to Lorenzo Alexander and Mike Sellers for their fatality-style hits on STs.

Posted by: psps23 | October 12, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis thinks we love Riggins for his franchise rushing record.

Not me.

Riggins took this team to its first Super Bowl win. He scored TDs in record numbers. He locked down wins in the 4th quarter by eating up the game clock with one first down after another. Even when defenses knew he was coming, they were powerless to stop him.

I'd imagine Yankee fans feel the same way about Rivera. Small lead, late in the game. In comes Riggins, in comes Rivera. Game over.

In short, its what he did to help this team win games -- and achieve greatness in the process. That is why Riggins is so loved by Skins fans.

I can appreciate Portis. At his best, there were times I saw a resemblance to Riggins. But there is a difference.

It is not about the record. Did you get that CP?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 12, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

McNabb has been here all of five minutes (11 previous years were spent playing for the Eagles), and he's more respected and beloved than Clinton Portis?

Just because Portis and others aren't actively involved in the community or don't pour millions of dollars in to it (btw, you don't know if he donates money or not) it doesn't mean they aren't "real" or "true" Redskins -- which is a made up term by fans that feel a need to connect with players on the team.

If you're a Redskin and you really want to be here, that's all the "real" that matters.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 12, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | October 12, 2010 12:07 PM

I like your attitude but the only way that happens is with TWO defensive TDs.

Posted by: dcsween | October 12, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I think we can put up four TD's.

Our defense will definitely set us up for one . I like the odds of treating any injuries to McNabb and the two tackles. Making two touchdowns very reasonable. Then there's Brandon Banks, he is all set for taking a punt return to the house.

That's four TD's. Two by the Offense, one by the defense, and one special teams.

A total team victory!

Posted by: Devo2 | October 12, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 12, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Manning's O-Line was horrendous at times last week. The left tackle especially.

Posted by: oh_boy1

Then I suggest we line Orakpo over left tackle

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 12, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 12, 2010 1:32 PM |

My only fear of kicking the ever-loving crap out of the teams we are playing is that we are then making life easier for the 'Pukes, G-Men and Iggles.

Tell me the 'Pukes' win over the Texans wasn't due in some part to Andre Johnson's bad wheel? Same for the G-Men. Who is going to benefit now from our latest physical beatdown of our most recent opponents' roster?

Hey Cowfaig and G-men fans?

You're welcome.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 12, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 12, 2010 1:37 PM

I'm hoping the redskins are getting a reputation as a team that you are not looking forward to playing that week!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 12, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 12, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

nothing wrong with donating to charity, though I doubt that is what people are talking about when they say "true Redskin".

It's a made up phrase. In summary it means a player people perceive as working hard and who generally tows the company line.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 12, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 12, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

He's from Miami not from mississippi,and he has shown a great deal of respect for the tradition of the Redskins(coach Gibbs)..bet you can't say that about Lavar

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 12, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Nate-
Larry and Charley won an NFC championship game, and made it to a Super Bowl. That's in my equation.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | October 12, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

jumbo, I didn't mean to tout Parcells as a faultless genius, I just wanted to note that he is the exception in the clown parade of Cowboys head coaches over the past decade-plus:

Barry Switzer
Chan Gailey
Dave Campo
Bill Parcells
Wade Phillips

And yes, I do realize that Switzer won a Super Bowl and that the Redskins lost what felt like 132 straight games to the Cowboys during that stretch of clown coaches.

What I'm saying is, F the Cowboys, and may they hire another clown after they fire the current clown.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Riggins: 70 Chip. 50 Gut x 11.

Portis: No real signature Redskin's moment. He did take it to the house his first Redskins touch. He repeatedly keeps his quarterback upright on 3rd down. At least he stones the lead guy in a jailbreak through the all to often porous mass of flesh that used to try to pretend to be an offensive line.

Portis is what he is. A balls out warrior on gameday who speaks a little too freely for his own image's good.

Riggins is also what he is. A balls out warrior on gameday who speaks (and chugs) a little too freely for his image's own good.

Swap them up in time, i think they both look like the other. Riggins did have the Hogs.

I really really like both of them.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 12, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"2007..round 1 Ted Ginn.round 2 John Beck,and samson satale.round 3 Lorenzo Booker..."

That wasn't Parcells. His first draft was Jake Long, Philip Merling, Kendall Langford, and Chad Henne. A franchise left tackle and a starting QB, and a starting DE in 3 of his first 4 picks.

The next draft he took Vontae Davis, quietly becoming one of the top 5 cornerbacks in the league.

He also found Cameron Wake as a UFA, developing into a pro-bowl caliber pass rusher.

He also drafted Davone Bess.

He turned a 1-15 team into a playoff team in a single offseason. They're now poised to be fighting for a playoff spot for years to come.

There's little not to like about what Parcells did to that franchise. Little whatsoever.

Posted by: psps23 | October 12, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post... move it on over...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

If I were John Riggins, I'd be offended. CP is nowhere near him when it comes to running backs.

I've never seen Riggins slide in the open field like Portis did in St. Louis.

More to the fact, Riggins ran over people.

CP doesn't even deserve to be mentioned with Riggo, no matter how many rushing yards he has.

F CP! Never liked him. Took his money like everyone else. I can't wait until he's gone.

Posted by: jwash4472 | October 12, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 12, 2010 1:37 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | October 12, 2010 1:41 PM |

I feel that rep taking hold if we knock anyone out next week is what should be a pretty high-profile match-up.

So far, we are continuing on the path of fortune relative to the personnel of our next opponent:

Addai is dinged and Donald Brown isn't close to 100%. Collie is back in a boot-cast today. Garcon has a hammy that could re-pop at any moment. This is all along with various O and D linemen who are already questionable today, Tuesday.

Sackpo could have a night and if old fresh-legged Haney is in the mix, Manning could get flummoxed again the way he was last Sunday.

This team beats mother fu*kers up. And with Dirty30 making most of his tackles in-bounds this season, we aren't cheap-shotting anyone or getting 15 yarders on these blasts. I freaking LOVE it!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 12, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 12, 2010 1:43 PM
---------------------------------
he's from mississippi...not miami...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 12, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

portis you got no shot!!!

Posted by: slim4 | October 12, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

What Riggo did in the playoofs and SB is legendary...not only in Redskin lore but NFL all time. That is why Riggo is beloved. CP has been steady but unless given the stage like Riggo was you just can't compare them. Plus we had the HOGS, oh what fun those years were.....this year is entertaining and hopefully continues in a direction that may give us victories and that "other' fun stuff...

Posted by: kirkoman | October 12, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kirkoman | October 12, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Please do not come back Mushmouth. Riggins was a great Redskin. You are not.

Posted by: DCFanatic | October 12, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

If he does break Riggins record it will be a disservice to the fans.

Posted by: whocares666 | October 12, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

He can break Riggo's record all he wants. It only shows he ran for more miles. The ring is the thing. As I've said before, CP needs a SB, or he gets no HOF.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 12, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

he's from mississippi...not miami...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 12, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I was born in Maryland and raised in DC so does that mean i'm from Maryland or DC...

Note where he went to high School

Washington Redskins | Official Team Site

Height: 5-11 Weight: 218 Age: 29

Born: 9/1/1981 Laurel , MS

College: Miami (Fla.)

Experience: 9th season

High School: Gainesville HS [FL]

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 12, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Was good to see CP26 on the sidelines Sunday... and frankly, was shocked to see him helping Torain and offering a bit of perspective on how he was seeing things. Even if he can't contribute directly, it would be nice to see Clinton continue to help coach up the younger players over the next few weeks.

But with that said, I don't think the team can afford to wait around for him to get healthy and back into playing shape. I also suspect the injury is worse than he is letting on -- and the team is only keeping him off the IR for sentimental reasons. While I am still not licensed to practice medicine on this blog, I suspect it will likely take much longer than the initial estimate of 4-6 weeks to recover -- and even longer to get back into playing shape.

While I appreciate Clinton's interest in individual records, exactly how long can the team afford to keep his roster spot open, especially when there is such a clear need to bring in another running back who is able to contribute now?

Posted by: Vic1 | October 12, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Actually, McNabb's community contibutions are "still" in Philly. He wasn't born here do you consider him a true Redskin?? hmmm Why do we need to know what they make & who they give it to? Besides - It is their jobs & their money which as far as I can see, they work darn hard to earn that money..short of losing their lives & limbs.

John Riggins played with the original Hoggs yes? London Fletcher told Sam Huff Sunday.."That was a different era and time.
This is an entirely new game" It is nice to remanisce but you can't keep looking back & comparing cuz you'll miss the present which thus far..seems to be somewhat promising. don't quite understand the hating on Portis. If nothin else, Portis knows football, its his job no matter where he was born. He's a hell of a gladiator & tough SOB in by book & the stats show it & Sally Jenkins wrote as much as well. He's no Shakespeare but neither was Satchel Paige. At least he's no T.O. asking for a trade with every breath..he loves this town & the people in it. Right now..he's injured because of the beating he took serving this town's team.
Give the man a break!

Posted by: Rozlind | October 12, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

To all the Portis haters out there.

He gave (and gives) as much of himself to this team as Larry Brown AND John Riggins (BTW, I loved them both), and Portis has the yardage and the bruises to prove it.

He caried this team during the Brunell, Wurfell, Ramsey, and Campbell years.
Or maybe you Portis-haters explain to all of us what great QBs Portis had to play with here.

Didn't think so.

Portis is a blue-chip back who has sacrificed his body to block for all those HOF (oops) QBS from day one.

Haters, tell me another blue-chip running back that blocks the way he does. In the back field AND downfiled.
Didn't think so.

So it has never been "all about him" as you haters try to say. He leaves it on the field, which is why he is so beat-up now.

The greatest of them all, Jim Brown, didn't block, and let you know he wasn't going to block. Riggins won't collect any cudos for blocking for his QB's or for wide receivers downfield either.

When Portis is healthy, he is invaluable to to running game AND the passing game.

So if you folks don't like Portis because he isn't shy about doing what he wants and saying what he wants, then it is you all who should get some help with that resentment you drag everywhere, bringing it out when someone mentions Portis' name.

Posted by: dredscott1 | October 12, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Kirkoman, you are absolutely, positively right on point about Riggins and the 'Skins of his era.

Posted by: Supporter51 | October 12, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

To all the Portis haters out there.

He caried this team during the Brunell, Wurfell, Ramsey, and Campbell years.

Didn't think so.

Didn't think so.

Posted by: dredscott1 | October 12, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

To all the Portis haters out there.

He caried this team during the Brunell, Wurfell, Ramsey, and Campbell years.

Didn't think so.

Didn't think so.

Posted by: dredscott1 | October 12, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Riggo could probably step in for Clinton for the next 6 weeks and put 800 yards. Any takers?

Posted by: Sirius2 | October 12, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm another one who is tired of hearing people whine about Portis. So what if he's mouthy? He brings it on the field in every single play. He had a 5.0 YPC against the Eagles - is that not good enough?

Hurry back, #26. The offense needs you!

Posted by: messykat | October 12, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

IMO, Portis will break the record and Cowher will coach Dallas. BOOK IT !

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 12, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Portis was an outstanding back. Certainly one of the best Redskin running backs of all time. If you deny that simple fact, then your opinion is not credible.

Comparisons to Riggins are not useful. Different running styles, different offensive lines, different overall team quality.

Very little difference in personalities. Both men are flamboyant primadonnas. Portis was well compensated, but Riggins held out.

Posted by: supattapone | October 12, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

@supattapone, WAS an outstanding back?

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 12, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sirius2

I'll be your Huckleberry. Riggins ran behind the most legendary O-line in football history. Riggins behind this line, although improved, goes nowhere....

Posted by: dcwun | October 12, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dredscott1

Hell, Riggo flat out said he didn't want to block for Joe Washington.

Posted by: dcwun | October 12, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Riggins called out Portis several times in the past few years, and I'm guessing Portis took it personally. If there's any way his body can handle it, he'll get that record.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | October 12, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Riggo's got rings - and the greatest highlights in the history of the franchise.

Posted by: jburnetti | October 12, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

It should only take Portis 681 more carries/hookslides to break the record, go CP!

Posted by: ketz87 | October 12, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I hope he can come back and get the rushing record. It's not his fault the rest of this team has sucked ass around him the whole time he's been here. The man has left so much of his body on the field to help this team. I think he more than deserves a piece of this teams history. Thanks for all you have done for this franchise Clinton. Not all Redskins fans are ungrateful jackasses!

Posted by: skins91r | October 13, 2010 3:30 AM | Report abuse

If Portis can get a few holes and get healthy then he should get Riggo's record. Riggo is a funny guy but not Tanya Harding.
Somebody said that Portis is from Mississippi and that is correct , however he attended U. of Miami. I like Clinton but being from Mississippi is worse that being from West Virginia.

As far a Cowher going to the Cowboys , I think that is a definite possibility. Jones will offer him the moon and Cowher will say yes. He will then go on about coaching America's team and make us puke.

Our chances against the Colts are based on stopping Manning. Now that is where we need some Tanya Harding action but it will have to be by Orapko or someone on D. Considering that Manning has never missed a game , I am not as optimistic as normal this weekend.

Posted by: rickywarner49 | October 13, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

....

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

That plus his antisocial behavior makes him the perfect Washington antihero...something the fans can appreciate and respect. Just don't invite him to dinner with SDO.

Posted by: ElYeah | October 13, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse