Veterans catch a breather in morning practice

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan gave several veterans most of the morning off Wednesday to rest and recover from the rigors of training camp.

Linebacker London Fletcher, wide receivers Santana Moss and Joey Galloway, running backs Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson, cornerback DeAngelo Hall and defensive lineman Phillip Daniels participated in the early walk-through portion of practice before taking off their shoulder pads and watching from the sideline for the remainder of the session.

"Usually the guys that we don't have practice after about six days in gear are some of the older veterans, guys like London Fletcher, Daniels, Portis, Johnson, Santana Moss, Galloway," Shanahan said. "Some of them [are] injuries from last year, where if a guy's been injured we felt like after six days...we try to give them a little better break.They still go through some drill work early, some walk-throughs, they're out on the field, but they don't go through all the team reps. And it gives some of these younger players, too, an opportunity to see what they can do against some of the other players. So I've done that throughout my career with older players and it seems to protect them a little bit."

The gesture was not lost on the veterans, who enjoyed the extra rest on a very muggy morning at Redskins Park. After six days of training camp - which included five straight mornings of intense group work - veterans such as Moss, who has battled knee issues in recent years, valued the break

"We appreciate it," Moss said. "Especially when you're out there, putting the work in. You need a bit of break. You get up in those years, man, you look forward to those days, because you know they're going to come."

Fletcher agreed, saying that Shanahan "has a great approach to training camp."

"Coach Shanahan has been around this game for a long time. He knows how to get his team ready for football," Fletcher said. "He felt like certain guys would benefit and the team would benefit from having the day off. I can appreciate that."

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 4, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Larry Johnson , London Fletcher , Santana Moss
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jammal Brown misses practice with hip strain
Next: Shay Hodge trying to catch on

Comments

Didn't AH also catch a breather?

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Good for them. Long season ahead. Just so long as they're primed and ready to kick some Cowgirl azz when the season opener rolls around.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Someone will cry from the mountain top that DeAngelo Hall and Portis shouldn't had the day off.

Easily #2 and #3 of most hated Redskins.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

God, I hate Rex Grossman.

If he plays, I hope our line sucks...

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 4, 2010 2:37 PM

Grossman isn't known for being able to take a hit. And McNabb has played all 16 regular season games just once in the past 6 years.

I know it's heresy to say it in this forum, but I really think this team is less stable at QB now than a year ago.

Sure it's all fun and excitement in the offseason--we added a couple of high-profile names to the roster at QB! Fun, fun. But after we play a few games and some real hits are dished out, it will be interesting if others start seeing what I think I'm seeing.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 4, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a good idea. Since they have so many, they need a good plan to protect wear and tear on those older guys. I would like to hear about one of the younger guys seizing the opportunity today to be more in the spotlight.

Hey, Reid, instead of rehashing Haynesworth's situation for the billionth time, how about giving us an update on some of the players who are not making themselves known:

-Doughty? He was moving to free safety but all we hear about is Moore and how well he is playing. Is Doughty losing the battle? Is he trade bait? I am still pretty convinced that Grilliams down in New Orleans would love to have his project back...

-Capers? At one point in time this guy was projected to be a later first round or early second round pick and then he slid to Washington in the seventh. Is he a player or not?

-Sellers? I heard he was having a quiet camp and I know the guy they brought in to be his eventual replacement - Dennis Morris - is a fantastic receiver out of the backfield with great RAC numbers. Is Sellers in danger of losing his job or being traded?

-Shay Hodge? Who is this guy and how does he even have a hope of making the roster with the guys in front of him?

-Rob Jackson, Darrion Scott, Ramzee Robinson, Lichtenstieger: are these guys all grist for the training camp mill?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | August 4, 2010 3:32 PM
------------------------------------------
Well I've been looking to see if I can see what you're seeing..however for the life of me I only see one high profile name added to the QB position...could you tell who the other high profile guy is?
Thank you...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 4, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 4, 2010 3:36 PM |

I seriously Doughty he makes the team.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Didn't AH also catch a breather?

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Yep but he had to be carted off the field afterward.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Easily #2 and #3 of most hated Redskins.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 3:31 PM
------------------------------------------
Last year I would have been the first one up that mountain top, but this year, I would say these guys have earned a break. Unfortunately, the Post has gotten it wrong again. We don't want to hear about the guys sitting: we want to hear about the guys playing. How are they doing? If the youngsters were to get more practice time, then who stood out?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

God, I hate Rex Grossman.

If he plays, I hope our line sucks...

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 4, 2010 2:37 PM

The difference is Mcnabb will not take hits like JC because JC never knew when to get rid of the ball. I can see where you are coming from though,but Mcnabb will not be asked to pass 40+ times a game,there for lowering chance of injury. This will be a run 1st team,setting up a lot of play action. Buck up bro,Mcnabb is rejuvinated because all Eagles fans ever did was cry about him & he will have a good year. Portis/Cooley/Davis/Moss/Thomas are gonna bail him out a lot this year. HTTR!

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I seriously Doughty he makes the team.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Easily #2 and #3 of most hated Redskins.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

They are also easily the #2 and #3 best players on this team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I seriously Doughty he makes the team.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 3:39 PM
-----------------------------------------
nice attempt at the play on words...but this is bullsh!t..he'll make the team

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 4, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

nice attempt at the play on words...but this is bullsh!t..he'll make the team

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

They are also easily the #2 and #3 best players on this team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:43 PM

Sure, if you don't count AH, McNabb, Fletcher, Cooley, Orakpo, Moss....

CP and Hall have brought some of the hate upon themselves.

I hope CP bounces back this year, but we've heard the same ol same ol every offseason for a few years running now.

And I'd like to see Hall tackle and stop running his yap before I start singing his praises.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 4, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I seriously Doughty he makes the team.

Posted by: &@*&-*@#^ | August 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

What's with the echo posts? Are you really that unoriginal?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Sure, if you don't count AH, McNabb, Fletcher, Cooley, Orakpo, Moss....

CP and Hall have brought some of the hate upon themselves.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 4, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It's all subjective.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 3:42 PM
-------------------------------------------
I don't think McNabb or Grossman have reached the venerable position of cult icon like the prestigious and recently departed Colt Brennan, so this is not heresy, but I disagree. Grossman is not an awful quarterback. He's inconsistent and that is a sword that cuts both ways. I think he is the perfect backup: a guy who can pull you through a couple of games but isn't consistent enough to be a starter. He's not far from where Campbell was. McNabb might not be the most accurate quarterback but he is a much smarter quarterback than Campbell. He'll do things that will win games for the Redskins this year. The acquisition of Beck intrigues me. Clearly, there's interest in this guy being a third string quarterback even though Shanahan doesn't normally carry three quarterbacks which suggests to me he saw something in him. It's not too late in this guy's career for him to be a sleeper.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It's all subjective.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:52 PM

That's certainly true.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Portis/Cooley/Davis/Moss/Thomas are gonna bail him out a lot this year. HTTR!

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

And hopefully Austin. Hoping this guy can become the next Santana.

To have two deep threats would be awesome.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Alan4 this is for you:

Dan Snyder on whether the firing of Vinny Cerrato was a reason that Redskin fans could have hope again:

"That wasn't the driver," Snyder said. "For me the driver was: my intentions are pure. I'm trying to win, OK? I'm trying to do good in the community. I'm trying to be a good father for my kids, trying to be a good family man. I'm also trying to get this franchise to where it belongs which is the Super Bowl and championships, and the highest level both on and off the field. And we were headed in the wrong direction. It's very simple. And the first thing you have to do is look in the mirror and you have to say-and be honest with yourself, you can't say well, 'Hope springs eternal and it's going to get better and what Vinny Cerrato or Jim Zorn says is going to be great.' No, reality is reality. You know, I didn't call two fake field goals in a row."

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"They are also easily the #2 and #3 best players on this team.

Posted by: iH8dallas"

Uh, what?

Your optimism has finally blinded you. I get the support for these guys, but please, refrain from the undeniably hyperbolic proclamations.

Those two guys would serve themselves well to be mentioned in the same breath as Orakpo, Fletcher, Cooley, or McNabb. Portis as about as good as Moss (not bad in any sense, both are terrible when unhealthy, great when fully fit) and Hall is a fundamentally flawed player with some great aspects to his game. If you were picking a squad from the players on the roster purely for this upcoming season, you'd be borderline 'tarded if Portis and Hall were #2 or #3 (or anywhere near the top 5) on your list.

Posted by: psps23 | August 4, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:43 PM
------------------------------------------
with all the bullsh!t that goes on on this blog i have to say that your optimism is a refreshing read each time. I wanted to say keep it going i'm right there with you..so when we win the whole thing this year..no one can say you are just jumping on the bandwagon....and you can kick off the wagon any chump trying to join at the last minute....i'll help you

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 4, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does Grossman seem to be an a$$ hole??

Posted by: mitchell2131 | August 4, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Uh, what?

Posted by: psps23 | August 4, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, it's all subjective.

Hall gives the ball back to the offense, the same offense which CP has single-handedly carried since 2004.

I'm not going to argue who's #1-whatever with you.

All of the players you mentioned are great, especially Fletch and McNabb.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

iH8, yup. pretty much. Portis is the best back -- poised to have a great year and Hall will be solid.

I think it says something, other than age, about why these guys along with the other vets got the day off.

They're out there handling theirs. They have their sh*t together.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:43 PM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 4, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Thank you. I can't go into the season thinking our team can't win it all.

That's why they play the game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Portis/Cooley/Davis/Moss/Thomas are gonna bail him out a lot this year. HTTR!

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

And hopefully Austin. Hoping this guy can become the next Santana.

To have two deep threats would be awesome.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:55 PM

I'm with you bro! I'm lookin foward to using this kid WR Austin on the New Madden game. Athough Madden is notorious for leaving late round players off the team. The kid has to at leat have 4.4 speed in the game, right? HTTR!!!!

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you bro!

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does Grossman seem to be an a$$ hole??

Posted by: mitchell2131 | August 4, 2010 4:01 PM
=------------------------------------
its you!...that was too easy

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

its you!...that was too easy

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Easily #2 and #3 of most hated Redskins.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

They are also easily the #2 and #3 best players on this team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd say Orakpo and Fletcher are better than these two.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 4, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd say Orakpo and Fletcher are better than these two.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 4, 2010 4:15 PM

You just named one who is too young in his career to compare...and another who is at the tail end and has lost a few steps....

CP and DHall are ni their primes....CP about to begin his HOF drive that will cuminlate (sp?) into a SB win....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 4, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't even know how a Redskins fan and hate Clinton Portis.

I've worn his jersey out. I have the white one and it's actually turned yellow now.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 4, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign. Culminate

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

don't even know how a Redskins fan and hate Clinton Portis.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 4:26 PM

Portis has done so much for the Skins & people still have a problem with him. They act like he put up big #'s a decade ago. Portis is gonna have at least 1,200 yards & I think LJ will be the goal line bulldozer & have at least 6-10 TD's/ HTTR!!

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd say Orakpo and Fletcher are better than these two.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 4, 2010 4:15 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 4, 2010 4:24 PM

You are discussing their value...and you're probably right. He said "best players". Regardless of age and pay, I'd say Fletcher and Orakpo are better players than Portis and Hall. It's all subjective anyway.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 4, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Portis has done so much for the Skins & people still have a problem with him.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse