Willie Parker gets his chance against Jets

Willie Parker gets his turn in the running back rotation Friday night against the New York Jets at New Meadowlands Stadium.

Clinton Portis started the preseason opener against Buffalo, Larry Johnson opened with the first-team offense against Baltimore and now Parker will have an opportunity to impress coaches. Although Coach Mike Shanahan has made no announcements, it appears Portis has done nothing to lose his position in the preseason.

He was listed atop the first depth chart that was released and seems to have solidified his position with steady, albeit brief, performances in the first two games. Johnson is still second on the depth chart, but he was not productive in last week's blowout loss to the Ravens.

Coaches evaluate practice as well games, and reporters are permitted to only watch a small portion of practice once training camp ends, so perhaps Johnson has looked great in practice. Just based on his "showcase" game, however, it would seem that Parker could improve his position on the roster with a big performance.

"I expect a lot," offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said. "He's going against a tough defense. We're going to give him some opportunities. I expect Willie to show what he's shown his whole career."

By Jason Reid  |  August 27, 2010; 2:02 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Santana Moss , Willie Parker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Taylor on time with Redskins: 'I felt like I had lost control'
Next: Some questions that may be answered tonight

Comments

does anybody know if this works for watching games live on line?
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 27, 2010 1:59 PM

It works, but not reliably. Sometimes it will freeze up or say that the feed is down. Last year I watched the preseason game vs the Jags through a link there, and it was from a webcam of some guys watching the game (like MST3000). The picture was surprisingly good. Unfortunatley they had attention deficit disorder and kept switching to play soccer on xbox, so I pretty must didn’t get to see the 2nd half. It’s like they didn’t know that they were streaming live….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

F Vinny. There. That felt good.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 27, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Ross Tucker of SI on why the third preseason game should be viewed with some skepticism:

"It's still the preseason. That means almost any player with any type of ailment is going to sit out. A lot of these players would play if it were a regular season game, but it is simply not worth the risk of putting them in an exhibition game, no matter how badly the coaches may want to see their first-teamer in action together."

"And even though there is a level of game-planning involved, that doesn't mean the team is going to show its best new stuff schematically. Why unveil a new blitz in the preseason and let your opponents prepare for it?"

"Lastly, there is no telling what agenda the coaches had when they put together the game plan. They might want to see if their front seven on defense can hold up to the run without bringing a safety into the box, even though in a real game they would do exactly that. Or maybe they just want to focus on the passing game because they already feel extremely confident in their ability to run the football. There's simply no way to know what teams are trying to accomplish, thus everything that happens this weekend should still be taken with a rather sizable grain of salt."

But teams that are looking to build momentum for a strong start will show a lot more on both offense and defense. I'd put the Jets in this category, along with the Ravens.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 27, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

z, he had one good year, but then bupkus since....he dances too much, he wont lower his shoulder, he's injury prone, fumbles...other than that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

ah, screw that, all the components of a bum HB.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 2:05 PM

Heh! I watched that, too. It was annoying as heck, but now it's kind of funny to think about. Those guys were like a case study in ADHD.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 2:15 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

bf, he's got the intangibles, size, speed, hands, but for a guy with all that, he never seems to put it together....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Reid - We've known for over a week that WP will start this game, so why don't you find out if the other RB's will get any touches this week, including CP.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a good runner (maybe even great at times) and I'm impressed with his blocking. I also have to give him props for attempting an arm tackle in preseason a few years ago that left him injured. That said, I also thought him a distraction in previous years b/c of his attitude. That attitude seems to have changed this year, and congrats to him for that. I don't know if the reason is Shanahan or that maturity has finally arrived, but I like this year's Portis much better and believe he's earned his #1 position on the depth chart.

Posted by: MrMerkin | August 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm expecting Parker to showcase his skills off the team tonight. I like Torrain and Williams better than Parker and Johnson anyway.

Posted by: clark202 | August 27, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

does anybody know if this works for watching games live on line?
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 27, 2010 1:59 PM

Posted by: dlhaze1

Im in seattle so I gotta do this every time the skins play. Pre-season is actually less reliable because (I believe) the local market controls everything (for home games danny, it is said, will actually let the signal run on an illegal feed for 5 minutes then purposely cut it off...I guess this is sort of a clandestine preview-marketing thing). For the season games, myp2p.net is always there because it comes from another country- usually Australia.

myp2p is the most reliable when the game is available, but you need to download and install streamtorrent to get it.

atdhe.net,justin.tv, i think use the same stream which is often interrupted.

Channelsurfing.net is one of the better ones, but sometimes is cut-off too.

Quality is certainly deteriorated when using these sites, but dammit it's free.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 27, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

atdhe.net,justin.tv, i think use the same stream which is often interrupted.
Channelsurfing.net is one of the better ones, but sometimes is cut-off too.
Quality is certainly deteriorated when using these sites, but dammit it's free.
Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 27, 2010 2:34 PM |

I think that channelsurfing .net is kind of a “rollup” of links to the games that all come from the feeds you list….for example you go to channelsurfing, click on the Redskins/Jets link, and you will get a popup that say’s it’s justintv or atdhe…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

monkeymayo, good to see another PacNW Skins fan on here. I live in Oly, work in Renton. (Thankfully I can work at home a couple of days most weeks and don't have to make that drive every day.)

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, probably the reason why he's buried on the depth chart behind a rookie and two solid vets. Oh well, I'm hoping there is a good RB crop come next draft, skins need to pick one up, I've got faith in Shanny, who knows, maybe Torain and K. Williams are all they need.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Really? Hope you're not too disappointed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Ryan O'Halloran has Jeremy Jarmon an odd man out on the 53-man roster. Didn't he cost us our 2010 3rd round pick? When will the Vinny failures cease?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

At the risk of sounding redundant, is anyone else tired of everything ^ this guy posts?

Maybe it's time for a break Campbell...or at least a new screen name to throw us off your undoubtedly rotten scent.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 27, 2010 11:39 AM

Well, I'd say judging by the overwhelming response to your response, which was zero

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

ken, who did they have making it for DE's over Jarmon??

I will say that I've seen 2 preseason games, and haven't been impressed by Carriker...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Go fast Willie, go!

I think Willie makes the team. LJ looked pretty weak last week.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 27, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Im in seattle so I gotta do this every time the skins play.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 27, 2010 2:34 PM

Hey I'm in Seattle too! Can we hang out together please??? We can meet up with WaitingGuilty and root for the Redskins instead of trolling the board!

Posted by: monkeymayonnaise | August 27, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

...i'd say get the phuk over it. No one said you had to read every piece of sh!t that i post anyhow...by the way, that was part of an A-B conversation so phuk you very much and you'll do well to scroll on past next time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

ESPN the Magazine picked the girls to go 8-8 and The Skins to go 9-7 and a wildcard birth. They Picked the Birds to win the division but with a record of 9-7 as well.

Posted by: clark202 | August 27, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Fast Willie has gotta have more left in the tank than LJ. He is gonna play well tonite. So is Rexy. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part but I expect the whole team to have a really good game against the Jets. Especially if they change to wearing white shoes.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 27, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

I'd ding Vinny for this, but I gotta hold back just a bit. Haslett has guys doing all sorts of odd stuff. Jarmon, recovering from (leg?) surgery, was asked to gain 25 lbs or so. Doesn't seem smart to me.

So while people watch and wonder what guys like Lorenzo Alexander and Andre Carter are doing in coverage ... I wonder if the Skins haven't asked Jarmon to do something that isn't a good fit for him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

OK tough guy. Ignoring you will be my pleasure, I feel my IQ going back up to normal already. You sir, are a stupid, silly little man.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 27, 2010 3:13 PM |

Thanks

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202

Lots of people are making lots of predictions and its too soon. Still, this is one is quite close to where I'm at.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for gametime b_tches!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 3:16 PM

You're welcome.

Posted by: league_source | August 27, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1,
thanks for all those links for streaming the skins. we'll see how it goes. i know there's gonna be one game this year where we're supposed to be away that weekend...fingers crossed.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 27, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 3:16 PM

You're welcome.

Posted by: league_source | August 27, 2010 3:19 PM |

Uh-oh...split personalities.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

-------

It would be much harder on Jarmon to ask him to come back from ACL surgery and transition to an OLB chasing down RBs and TEs in coverage.

Trust me, as someone who as undergone ACL surgery twice, it is much easier to put on strength and weight after the surgery than it is to regain speed and quickness. After the first 2-3 months of recovery, rehab is 75% strength training anyway. Most people naturally gain weight after the surgery due to the volume of strength training involved.

Posted by: psps23 | August 27, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202

They got my prediction for Dallas right. The Birds are going 6-10. I'm not sure about the Giants.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"Willie Parker gets his chance against Jets"

I love this: a guy who is done gets to be fodder for the jets D to chew up and spit out.

I say, give him 70-80 carries tonite, wear him and the jets D out, and then, get off the field with no injuries.

Man do I hate the preseason.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for gametime b_tches!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:19 PM

Drunk already?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for gametime b_tches!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:19 PM

Drunk already?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Not yet!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for gametime b_tches!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:19 PM

Drunk already?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH PRESEASON!!!!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 27, 2010 2:55 PM

He was drafted to be a 4-3 DE. At a certain point you gotta cut your losses and play the best players for what you're doing.

Posted by: Keiser | August 27, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH PRESEASON!!!!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

PRESEASON F_CKIN ROCKS!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Or they could have just cut him. He's a 4-3 DE...JJ, like many are a poor fit for the 3-4.

They originally wanted to try him at OLB but then realizing that doesn't suit his talents they had him put on 25 lbs to play 3-4 DE. He won't make the 53 man roster, IMO.

I'd blame Vinny, but why bother..

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'd blame Vinny, but why bother..

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 3:44 PM

Woulda been nice to get a late rounder for him. As I recall thee were a few teams that made a go at him in the sup draft. Injury probably makes all that moot now though. Although I'd like to blame Vinny for all this it's Shanallen's team now so all the blame for who stays and who go's is on them in my book. Kinda like the presidency.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

lets not throw Jarmon out just yet....he's a younger cat, who showed skills before he got hurt last year....he's got more ahead of him, than say a Phil Daniels, no slight to PD....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@ ih8

Hess, sorry if I got you confused with one who likes stats. They are a measure of performance, but they haven't anything to do with how a player performs on game day. HTTR !

Posted by: hessone | August 27, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH PRESEASON!!!!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

PRESEASON F_CKIN ROCKS!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

PHUK YEAH!!! HURRY UP SEVEN O CLOCK

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH PRESEASON!!!!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

PRESEASON F_CKIN ROCKS!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

PHUK YEAH!!! HURRY UP SEVEN O CLOCK

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm just trying to get iH8 pumped up so he drinks himself into a stupor by 7.

COME ON IH8 DRINK THREE FOR ALL OF RI

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH PRESEASON!!!!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

PRESEASON F_CKIN ROCKS!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

PHUK YEAH!!! HURRY UP SEVEN O CLOCK

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:56 PM

Pre season is indeed better than no season.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@ ih8

Posted by: hessone | August 27, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I accept your apology.

Hess Power!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm just trying to get iH8 pumped up so he drinks himself into a stupor by 7.

COME ON IH8 DRINK THREE FOR ALL OF RI

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll be drinking Heineken and installing a new bathtub. I'll listen to the game on the radio and chug a beer for everyone who says "iH8 is the smartest poster ever".

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

bean-

I like JJ, I thought he played well when he got his chances and then was derailed by injury and then the switch to the 3-4.

He's still only 23 and he's our youngest DL by a mile, who knows...but if I was a gambling man, I'd bet he doesn't make it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

he definitely is young ... still think its gotta be hard to recover from surgery and weigh 25 extra lbs. Seems like a lot of adjusting to do. The good news for Jarmon is that time is on his side.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Always a bit skeptical when players change their weight by a bunch -- unless its Albert dropping fat. Seems whatever they might benefit, there's a drawback.

Portis gained weight, gained power, but lost quickness.

Think there is a big difference in how an athlete responds between adding 10 lbs and adding 25 lbs.

Thing is, in Jarmon's case, he'll turn 23 this year -- he might still be growing into his body

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"iH8 is the smartest poster ever".

I'll stop once the vomit and drunkeness indicates you've had enough to prove that you actually have had enough.

Even though, we've haven't had enough of you.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"iH8 is the smartest poster ever".

Even though, we've haven't had enough of you.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

ha, I like this.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

and moe is the smartest toaster ever.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 27, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 27, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I'll be drinking Heineken and installing a new bathtub

chances that h8 installs the hot and cold hookups backwards.....87%....

chances that h8 burns himself and other things attempting to solder....100%

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Chances IH8 spends the night in the tub, incalculable.

Posted by: wireman65 | August 27, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Chances that iH8's girlfriend nags him, and tells him that he's installing it wrong: 100%

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I had my first pipe-soldering experience early this year. We bought a new fridge, and it has ice and water in the door. There was a pipe stubbed out in the wall behind the fridge, and it ran down into the crawlspace.

What I didn't know yet was that the pipe wasn't actually hooked up to anything, even though it was capped like a regular pipe. There was another capped pipe immediately below it, and they just needed to be mated up. Well, the lower pipe was the lowest pipe in the house, and I tried for an entire day to get the water out of it. Very little luck. I did manage to sweat the joint despite hardly any work space, having to have the flame about 8" from my face (yikes!), and an angle that required use of a mirror part of the time.

Turned the water on, and I had a pinhole leak in the solder bead, on the part of the joint that I couldn't see directly. I couldn't patch it because there was now water in the pipe and no way to drain off any of the water now that the pipes were connected.

Back to Home Depot, and this was when I discovered Shark Bite fittings. You can't use them in a wall in most places, but since this was in a crawlspace, I was golden.

You just pop the suckers in place, wet or dry, and you're done. Friggin' GENIUS invention. They're probably 10-15x as expensive as a copper fitting (which are super cheap), but worth every penny. Later a plumber friend of mine told me he keeps some in his work van for situations exactly like mine.

I used Pex pipe with the fittings instead of copper because after I cut back the pipe I had soldered, I no longer had a straight shot up to the fridge, and you can bend the Pex pipe a little over a short distance, a lot over a long distance.

The pipe plus fittings were about $12 total. Had I known about them to begin with, I would have saved myself a long day and a half.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm just trying to get iH8 pumped up so he drinks himself into a stupor by 7.

COME ON IH8 DRINK THREE FOR ALL OF RI

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

this guy has a loophole. Same as Jim Ignatowski (originally from Boston, if I recall). Told his taxi friends he'd buy everyone a drink. Then realizing he had more money than he thought, he modified it -- "Awww, what the heck, I'll buy each of you your own drink '

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I may have to give ya'll a raincheck on some of these til' theDallas game

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

freak, hardly anyone uses copper these days....its all plastic......had my hot water heater moved this year, and the hot and cold lines were plastic....cheaper, and faster than copper...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 27, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

BG, from the reading I've done, though, most municipalities still require copper in a sealed wall. I supposed because a lot of the plastic pipe and fittings are still so new that there's not enough field testing to see if they develop leaks over time.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Its only 5pm and the turnpike is jammed, and I'm just past Hartford county, if you are heading towards NY, you may want to detour if not too late.

Posted by: abxinc | August 27, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse