Clinton Speaks (And Does Not Insert Foot In Mouth)

Portis just spoke to the local media for the first time since "Dogfight-gate" and essentially said he regrests his comments from a few weeks back.

Portis said he has learned in recent weeks more about how much people love and car for animals - he is not a pet guy himself - and did some reading on the issue. He says that he read letters and pamphlets sent his way after he made his remarks about Mike Vick's alleged involvement in dogfighting. Clintons says he took it all to heart and understands better now why he offended so many people last month.

"When I made those comments I didn't understand the seriousness behind it. I didn't know it would affect that many people and didn't think what I said was that offense But after doing some research and seeing how serious people take this, I shouldn't have made the comments. Hopefully it will die down and people will understand that at that time I had no idea the love people have for animals and I didn't consider it when I made those comments."

Oh yeah, and for those who missed it the last time, the Redskins, for the record, still don't condone dogfighting, in case, you know, you missed that press release a few weeks back.

We'll have the full story up later, but this is pretty much the gist of it.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 5, 2007; 2:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shawn Springs Had To Leave Early
Next: Some Good News, And Some Awful News

Comments

woof!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

2nd?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

3rd!

Good for Portis!

Posted by: 4th | June 5, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

And 4th! We are idiots.

Posted by: Honkey | June 5, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

5th!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!

Posted by: JoeyV | June 5, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The blog is back! Sallie Mae is back! PDiddy is back! New people are cool! I'm almost done with school!

And don't forget coked up hamsters we need threads even if they are "no news" because the stuff gets out anyway and we'll harp on it anyways.

I put out this question again based on the players who are coming back in shape and "ripped" - what does the league test for? What can't be tested for?

Posted by: sfskin | June 5, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Not a complete list, but:
1. Steroids are tested for
2. Human Growth Hormone cannot be tested for
3. Foot-in-Mouth is pandemic, isn't it Clinton?

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 5, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Not that there is medical evidence that foot-in-mouth provides a performance benefit, but I think you have to put it on the list because half the league is on it.

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 5, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Portis is on the cups of being entertaining again.

Posted by: mugamack | June 5, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

at least CP is trying to do some damage control. Compared to his and the FO's previous comments, this apology actually seems believable... I mean, It's longer than 1 sentence.

Posted by: beggarsnthieves | June 5, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Okay, whew, it's okay for me to fire up my man-crush on Portis again.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

OMG, who cares?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I thought for sure he'd mention that they "taste like chicken".

Posted by: Unconvinced | June 5, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Portis made his comments whilst dressed as former WWE wrestler, the Junkyard Dog, complete with the white tights and industrial chain.

Posted by: Cliff Huxtable | June 5, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Who cares!

More importantly, how's his knee? I know that the official update will come on Thursday, but did Clinton talk about it at all?

Posted by: Doctor Don't Know | June 5, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I thought for sure he'd mention that they "taste like chicken".

Posted by: Unconvinced | June 5, 2007 03:32 PM

actually, dog taste horrible - atleast according to that english artist who ate dog last week to protest the royal families treatment of they foxes they hunt with their dogs.

Posted by: talk show host | June 5, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

case closed.........

It's all about football now.

Posted by: old school | June 5, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

What about Libby??

He gets 30 months. Just or Unjust?

Discuss!

Posted by: 4th Floor | June 5, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Was that old school Old School or new school Old School?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I thought for sure he'd mention that they "taste like chicken".

Posted by: Unconvinced | June 5, 2007 03:32 PM

Posted by: talk show host | June 5, 2007 03:39 PM

Well of course. Everyone knows foxhounds are gamey. Now labs - that's good eatin. They've even got chocolate ones for the kiddies.

Posted by: skinswest | June 5, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

What about Libby??

He gets 30 months. Just or Unjust?

Discuss!

Posted by: 4th Floor | June 5, 2007 03:53 PM

Unjust. And he'll probably just get until Jan '09 when Bush pardons him before leaving office (19 months?)

Posted by: skinswest | June 5, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

It is the media and fans who continue to make a big deal out of this (what CP said in that exact context) - more than it is. Get a life!!! Go question what GWB said "Mission Accomplished" and we have additional 2000 soldiers died in Iraq since that statement or why we are there in the first place.

Posted by: doug | June 5, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Def unjust for the crime he was 'actually' commited for.

If he had been charged w/ crimes relating to the actual outing of a CIA agent then I think he should have got a minimum of 5 years. But, we all know he wasn't the 1st to 'out' Ms. Plame. It was Ka....'never mind', the republicans would just take me down if I started something.....

F Bush
F Da Cowboys

Hail!

Posted by: 4th | June 5, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

at least prtis is redskins related. doesnt matter what anyone up here thinks about iraq. take your political agenda elsewhere.

Posted by: doug | June 5, 2007 04:00 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I take a 2 week blogvakay and there is a new Old School.....that is lame....Love the skins news even if it is non news...

Anyone seen Knocked Up? Instant classic....Nate in the PDX...get a sitter you and the Mrs are GOING OUT!

Posted by: chris larry | June 5, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

chris Larry, I just watched a Hecklers clip. Rock and roll is not dead, brother! I am fired up! Could you guys cover "Hail to the Redskins"? That would be super-awesome.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Dallas Could Elect Its First Gay Mayor (Not that there is anything wrong with that, but hey, All is fair in Love and Football)

Posted by: Ripped from the Headlines | June 5, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Libby appeals to delay the sentence and then will be pardoned by the President on 1/19/09.

Posted by: Otter | June 5, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Otter | June 5, 2007 04:43 PM

Probably right unfortunately. It pays to be a loyal Bushie I guess.

Posted by: skinswest | June 5, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

after reading some newletters and pamphlets I have come to the conclusion Portis is an idiot! Good thing that boy can run.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Otter | June 5, 2007 04:43 PM

Probably right unfortunately. It pays to be a loyal Bushie I guess.

Posted by: skinswest | June 5, 2007 05:01 PM

But wouldn't such a dastardly act of cronyism taint his legacy? Oh that's right...

Posted by: SMACK | June 5, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | June 5, 2007 05:29 PM

Nah, I think you get a Medal of Freedom for that.

Posted by: skinswest | June 5, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean CP wont be going to any more dog fights out in Fauqier County? I wand if the commish knows about the surveillance photos from a dog fight in April showing several NFL players at sog fight?

Posted by: vaherder | June 6, 2007 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Does that mean CP wont be going to any more dog fights out in Fauqier County? I wander if the commish knows about the surveillance video from a dog fight in April showing several NFL players at dog fight in Fauqier County?

Posted by: vaherder | June 6, 2007 6:44 AM | Report abuse

What's interesting here is what he did not say. He did not say that he has reconsidered his apparent views that dogfighting is OK and that people should be allowed to break the law as long as they do it on their own property. What he said is that he is sorry that he opened his mouth. Given the intensity of the criticism and ridicule he has received, I can understand his regret. Given the substance of his comments, I'm sorry too.

Posted by: rbpalmer | June 6, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

rbpalmer is totally right. this "apology" is nothing of the kind. the man still thinks it is ok to fight dogs. he had to be "educated" to learn people like their pets? Unbelievable.

Posted by: agrawog | June 8, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse