Coach Joe On Sean

Joe Gibbs was obviously anguished over this horrible ordeal, and it grasping for words to sum up how he and the team feel.

Gibbs said he had no real new medical information about the situation and everyone continues to pray that he recovers from the gunshot wound, though "it's extremely serious." Gibbs said that owner Daniels Snyder and the contingent from the Redskins had arrived at the hospital in Florida and had nothing new to really report right now. Gibbs said he has no immediate plans to fly to Miami himself and will somehow try to have a normal week and prepare for a huge game against Buffalo after losing three straight games.

Gibbs said he was unaware that Taylor was in Miami until getting a call from team security about the shooting around 6:30 this morning.

Like many injured players, Taylor was excused from the trip to Tampa Bay, as he continued to recover from a knee sprain that kept him out of the last two games. There were concerns about his knee swelling or getting sore on the flight. Taylor attended team meetings and a walkthough at Redskins Park on Saturday, then was essentially off until Monday morning, when the players generally report for meetings and to review film of the previous game. Taylor opted to fly home in the interim.

A week ago Taylor remained in Northern Virginia while the Redskins traveled to Dallas, receiving treatment, Gibbs said. However, that Monday morning, Nov. 19, Taylor phoned Gibbs at his office in Redskins Park to tell him his home in Florida was burglarized and to ask permission to be excused from meetings to fly to Miami. Gibbs obliged and when Taylor returned that week, "I thought everything was fine," Gibbs said.

After Taylor left Redskins Park this Saturday, Gibbs said he was unaware the player was traveling back to Florida and did not ask permission, while "normally" in that situation, he would. Gibbs did not know if Taylor returned to Florida because of specific concerns with his family. "I don't know why he traveled back to Miami," Gibbs said.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 26, 2007; 5:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sean Taylor "Clinging To Life"
Next: Gregg Williams Speaks

Comments

I could swear I thought Russ was going to announce his passing coming out of the break...this just feels bad. I'm not optimistic and my wife will tell you I'm an optimist by nature. Just my gut I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 26, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I feel a bit better after Jasno's post though.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 26, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Just saw Wilbon on PTI.

The guy is scum!

Posted by: filmchis | November 26, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I didn't appreciate Coach referring to Sean in the past tense a few times.

Posted by: swistakb | November 26, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a ST jersey. Would it be indecent to wear my CP jersey to church tonight? We slept in yesterday so we're going to the makeup service in an hour

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 26, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

If I know Wilbon half as much as I think I do...he will not even attempt to qualify his remarks...he will stand by them and snicker at anyone who disagrees.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 26, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Swis,

I'm confident Gibbs did not mean any disrespect by it assuming that there have been no more breaks in the story that we are unaware of, but I agree that is causing me stress as well.

I just hope to god that he can pull through this.

Posted by: brobins | November 26, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is on PTI repeating his earlier comments with apparently no remorse. Shame.

I feel for all Skins fans today. I was a huge fan of Taylor as a Cane, and still am even though he became a Skin. Best to him, his family, all of Skins nation. I wish someone could just come out and say "he's going to be OK".

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 26, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

they should be put sean in the ring of honor on sunday.

Posted by: sales | November 26, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Folks,

I agree that it hurts to see/hear Coach Gibbs refer to Sean Taylor in the past tense.

But, you have to admit that at least in terms of him being a football player on Gibbs' team--that certainly is in the past tense. Who knows how long the recovery will be--if ever...

Not to sound morbid, but there are issues here that far supersede what occurs on a football field.

Taylor's life as a football player is probably over---forever.

Right now, he is fighting the ultimate game in life: the fight to survive.

Stay Strong Sean! Stay Strong Taylors!

HTTR!

Posted by: StumptownChris | November 26, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

PTI has started and Wilbon said his first thought is "disturbing". Disturbing on a number of levels, including that Wilbon wasn't surprised.

But Wilbon went on to say that there were reports from all quaters that Taylor was "evolving" into a better person.

Not PTI's finest moment.

For some reason, my "racism" and "cynical corporate greed" alarms are going off with ESPN's coverage of Sean Taylor. Not one live reporter on the scene yet? Going with chipper pre-recorded programming? Just seems like a half-hearted effort, and considerably less coverage than say, OJ, or Rothlesberger getting hit by a car.

Posted by: mugamack | November 26, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I think in light of him fighting for his life that it is reasonable to assume he will not play again...or at leasat he will not be coached by Gibbs again.

Maybe thats why Gibbs haas the past tense in his mind. He views them as his football players. He spoke of Patrick Ramsey in the same way.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 26, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

No past tense SMACK. Let's make that taboo while he's alive

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 26, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

When TO did his thing, it seemed like everything stopped on ESPN.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 26, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Inigo Montoya here, havent posted since this signing in business started. And havent been able to find any words to describe this senseless act.

Prayers and some B&G love being sent from the midwest.

Posted by: JChrisRod | November 26, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

jlac: "taylor's not really in a coma. he's unresponsive and unconscious."

Posted by: dealer | November 26, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

fcuk espn! They have really regressed. Unfortunately, they are the only place for sports news.

Posted by: puttinforbird | November 26, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

No one answered, but that's OK. I'm leaving for church now with the Skins jersey proudly on. I think God's cool with it. I'll leave Skins nation and the Taylor family with what I hear everytime I leave church.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord look upon you with favor and give you peace. Amen.

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 26, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

What is up that he was just burglarized?? Didn't he take defensive precautions?? Video cameras?? Having a gun that you can cock scares away most addicts..But, maybe it was a hit?? The son of a Florida police chief?? C'MON SEAN!!!

Posted by: frak | November 26, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

JS26121820,
I'm a Packer fan. If something like this happened to a Packer, I can't imagine too many people in Green Bay churches not wearing a jersey. Redskins fans are probably the same way.

Posted by: get_bent_wapo | November 26, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and sorry about the user ID. It was the first one that came up on bugmenot.

Posted by: get_bent_wapo | November 26, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Taylor latest RED FLAGS
1 told gibbs his house was burglarized a week ago police have no record

2Had weapons next to bed burglars dont come back

3 didnt fly with team because injury might swell But he could fly home

4 Never told gibbs he was leaving Like he never returned gibbs calls in offseason NO RESPECT for Coach Joe

5 Very shady person who was into more and its coming out

Posted by: jm220sukreaperdoo | November 26, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Terrible news for Sean and his family...thoughts and prayers are definately with he and his family! The thought of him not playing football again for us doesn't even hold a candle to the fact that he may not even live through this! So sad! Do you guys think it would be a bad or good move to wear my Taylor jersey to my classes tomorrow? I can't even study or work(earlier) or anything today!! This sux!

Posted by: RockyTopSkin | November 26, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Wear the Skins gear proudly.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 26, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

IM with you reaperdoo and you get free drinks for rest of year!
Just dont burp and fart like these stinky blogers wooooo! Well off to redskin park i go!

Posted by: kool-aide4sale | November 26, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

jm220 don't know where you get you info but apparently you've been living under a rock.

Miami Herald article "According to police records, someone also broke into Taylor's house between 7 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 17 and midnight Sunday Nov. 18, by prying open a front window. No one was home at the time. The burglar entered several rooms in the house, rifled through drawers, and a safe in Taylor's bedroom. The police report says it was ''unknown'' whether anything was taken.

In that incident, someone left a kitchen knife on a bed in Taylor's house, according to the police report. Damage was also ``observed to the A/C vent in Taylor's bathroom.''

And you better believe I've weapons in my room just in case.

Posted by: Brian2580 | November 26, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

i don't understand the furor over Wilbon's comments. i just read the chat wrap, and he's not flagrant or over-reaching in his comments. his comments were very matter-of-fact. it's unfortunate that it's Taylor's image, but it is what it is. like Wilbon said, he cultivated that image, and it doesn't change with the news of the unfortunate events of this morning.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | November 26, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Brian are you really that stupid?
how do you rifle through a locked safe?
unknown if anything was taken?? girlfriend never got a chance to go by and check??
police were just on tv and said no record unless he is lying
BURGLARS DONT COME BACK BRIAN he was in to some deep shi*