Zorn Gets Ready for Whole New Rivalry

Sunday afternoon will be Jim Zorn's first crack at this whole Redskins/Cowboys thing, and he admits it's a bit new to him. Certainly he appreciates the history and intensity of the rivalry (he remembers the Clint Longley game; his first NFL game was a preseason game against the Cowboys at Texas Stadiunm), and is psyched to be part of it.

But he just hasn't really lived it yet, hasn't stalked the sidelines during one of these games with adrenaline pulsing and civic pride riding on his play sheet ... and he can't claim to know what it's all about. He won't pretend that he carries a hatred for the Cowboys - yet - but is eager to get there. (My recommendation: Sit next to Bubba Tyer on the flight out there, ask him how much he hates the Cowboys, then listen to him churn for the next three hours. That ought to do it. Nobody hates the Cowboys like Bubba.)

Zorn is also feeding off his players, who have first-hand experience in this Texas two-step, and I'll bet by halftime he'll have a much better feel for all that goes into this rivalry.

"I just don't have the animosity yet, you know what I mean?," Zorn said. "And I'm the head football coach here and we're supposed to. But I'm sure I'll get there at some point down the road here. We did with the Raiders [when Zorn was a quarterback and coach with Seattle]. So if it's anything like the Seahawk and Raider rivalry, there's certain things that create that, and I'm just waiting for it."

Yes, Coach Z, this is the real deal. Zorn's first game in this rivalry will be the last played between these teams in Texas Stadium (barring a playoff matchup), and it no doubt will be memorable on more than one level.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 25, 2008; 9:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sizing Up the League through Skins' Prism
Next: Redskins Alter Schedule Ahead of Storm

Comments

first?

Posted by: g in the atl | September 25, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

zee

Posted by: clubbed foot | September 25, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

dong hammer

Posted by: texass | September 25, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

If Coach Z wants to connect with the fans, then he'd better get that animosity. Seriously, the Cowboys are so hateable, I don't understand how one could tolerate them unless they are a Cowpie lover. Everything from Jerry's botoxed face on the sideline, to T.O., to Romo's dimples and his junior high-school dating drama - it all makes me want to puke.

Posted by: p1funk | September 25, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I have to get a smart azz comment in...Do you find yourself wagging your tail when you are happy?" Nah, I try to not use anything to do with movement whatevers for down there, and think sideways just occurred to me now, before just inwards and back. Which seemed to seriously disturb, alike to ingrown and messing, alike inaccurate programs for the stage it's now in.
Seems more just something left ancestorial.

Talking about which:

Football perverts messing around in children and women of related kinds, if I recall right found out, that they can cause a genetic mess-up causing more ancient seeming programs with ribs going ways down.

It might be assumed, that our ancestors had it not like now.

Therefore, though I ain't wish to exclude a genetic "freak", it might be just alike some atavism.

Acid

Posted by: Acid | September 25, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

On another note, I was pretty miffed to hear John Riggins yesterday on Doc Walker;s show. Doc basically asked him if Dallas-Skins week meant anything to him these days and Riggo flatly answered "No". I've heard Riggo say on many occassions that playing for the SKins was "just a paycheck" and that he frankly feels no sense of loyalty to the team. But I guess that is the charm of El Riggo; it would just be nice for him to express some feelings toward the franchise/fans that gave him all that love and made him what he is today.

Posted by: p1funk | September 25, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Now hold on there, p1funk, you can't hate a man for having dimples. For playing quarterback for the team we love to hate, yes. For being really good at playing quarterback for that team, absolutely. For having dark, vacant eyes like a pig's, sure. But for having dimples?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Nate - you sure you're not talking about Jessica Simpson?

Posted by: FlimFlam | September 25, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 9:30 AM

Yeah...but they are Tony Romo's dimples.

Posted by: p1funk | September 25, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Zebra,

Damn, dude. That was a killer recap. You belong somewhere else analyzing sh*t. ESPN or heck, take Wilbon's place. He's an idiot.

So you're saying that the delay of game penalty was in fact, NOT, a delay of game and that Warner got the play off before the clock expired? Are we talking milliseconds or was the clock clearly NOT on zero? FOX never bothered to show us whether it was or not.

Posted by: Tender Branson | September 25, 2008 9:14 AM

Tender;

i had the fox broadcast... I didnt see a play clock. i was just going on Goose and Moose (what a gayer name combo huh?)

thanks for the good words. I could have gone one forever about ever little minutiae, but I had to digress for your alls sake.

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 9:18 AM

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

As much as I loath Snyder, I can't help but pull for Zorn. This sucks for me, because at this point I root for every decision Danny-boy and his lap-dog make to be a disaster, because to me thay have come very close to ruining this franchise. Thus, I was looking forward this summer to the potential beating the Cowgirls might lay on the Dannyskins, but now I am back to rooting on my favorite team because of Zorn. To summerize, it is very possible the Zorn hire could end up saving face for that little puke......this really sucks.....

Posted by: Skins Fan in Fla | September 25, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

My kids call them "The Team Who Must not be Named." Who am I to argue?

Posted by: Love to Hate Them | September 25, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

What? Are you autistic or is AMSLAN your primary mode of communication?

Posted by: a | September 25, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

drbach;

from last thread... you cannot challenge penalties...

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I made me what I am today, I invented me! Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! No but really, I am great.

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The best DT play for the skins in the last 15 years was from this guy that played at Denver. He had one sensational year and then his back gave out on him. I think it was back in 02' maybe. He was a gamble because of his bad attitude from previous teams or locker room presence. (Not D. Russell).

Posted by: Redskins Ray1 | September 25, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I love your kids, Love to Hate Them...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 25, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"So if it's anything like the Seahawk and Raider rivalry, there's certain things that create that, and I'm just waiting for it."

No coach Zorn, no it's nothing like the Seahawk-Raiders rivalry.

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

When is Jason going to own up to the nonsense he tried to pull with Cerrato? I can't believe he still hasn't acknowledged it.

If Snyder or Cerrato ducked a question like this, JLC would crucify them.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | September 25, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

No coach Zorn, no it's nothing like the Seahawk-Raiders rivalry.

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 9:39 AM

Coach Zorn is like a child who just walked into a movie theatre. He has no frame of reference.

Posted by: Walter | September 25, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Also, I don't know who will be doing the broadcast, but I hope it is not some ex-Cowboy. I guess I'll have to do the turn-off-the-volume-and-listen-to-the-radio thing, but I do that less and less these days. Sam (bless his heart) is going the way of Pat Sumerall, and it is hit or miss whether I can handle Larry Michaels. But I could listen to Sonny all day.

Posted by: p1funk | September 25, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Zebra,
Assuming C. Rinehardt is going to replace the old man Pete Kendall somewhere down the road, if you had to draft an O-Lineman next year, whom would it be you had in mind for him to be groomed as the replacement of ? Thomas, Rabach or Samuels ? Who out of those 3 has the least amount of good years left in them ?

Posted by: Tender Viddles | September 25, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Beeps Peeps.

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"If it's anything like Raider vs Seahawks"

What a novice.

I'd love to hear some Bubba Tyer stories about Dallas.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | September 25, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I hope Zorn NEVER learns to hate the Cowboys because that will likely mean we haven't lost to them!

I'm actually feeling pretty good about this game. I hope that isn't the kiss of death for the Skins...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

If Snyder or Cerrato ducked a question like this, JLC would crucify them.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | September 25, 2008 9:39 AM

We've all been killing JLa for it. The WaPo sports editor came out with a statement, and JLa has said that he's not allowed to talk about it anymore. Which means, of course, his sports editor ripped him a new one behind the scenes and he's going to keep his mouth shut for fear of losing his job.

Posted by: p1funk | September 25, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Zebra,

Posted by: Tender Viddles | September 25, 2008 9:41 AM

I believe Randy will be the next one playing backup.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Tender;

Rabach. We have Geisinger who is supposed to be 2nd at center, but dont know if he can be a center. We have Heyer and Jansen as well as Samuels so we are good at tackle.

I think Geisinger can mold into a Guard as well as Rheinhart.

We have NO centers on this team other than Rabach, but you dont take a 1st round center.

So try to find a serviceable one in the 3rd and if one is there, take an elite LT in the first round. if not, go D line 1st round to replace Griff. Maybe Monty can do it, maybe not. But having 2 good DT's is a must and Griff is on the down swing.

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Tender;

I think Geisinger can mold into a Guard as well as Rheinhart.

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 9:48 AM

Didn't they try Crummey at center during preseason? Isn't he on the practice squad? Maybe grooming him is the long-term plan.

Posted by: p1funk | September 25, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Vinny HAS to address both lines next April. They can't continue to draft 'skill players' over the core players. It all starts up front on both offense and defense. Vinny got lucky with Golston and Montgomery's jersey is looking pretty clean these days which tells me he's not even in the rotation. Griffin has one solid season left. Taylor will only be here thru 2009 and Carter is just average.

On the offensive side, Samuels is good for 2-3 more years. Kendall may have one more left. Rabach is solid, RT is good if he stays healthy and Heyer is on his way (although he needs to be nastier in the trenches). Rhinehart was a solid pick but more depth is required.

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 25, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskins Ray1 | September 25, 2008 9:38 AM
-----------------------------------
Jumpy Geathers?

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Jumpy played for Gibbs I. I want to say it was the '91 season. He then went on to play for the Falcons. Gotta be someone else he's talking about.

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 25, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he's talking about Marco Coleman? NOt sure he came from Denver, however. I thought it was Miami.

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 25, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

take an elite LT in the first round. if not
Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 9:48 AM

I think anytime you draft an LT you go 1st round. But I think Samuels has more than a couple good years left. I would put that on hold and draft a CB in the 1st and cross your fingers. Springs is getting up there in his 12th season although he is playing great you just never know. I do like the idea of drafting a Center in the 3rd (since we don't have a 2nd) to groom for Rabach's spot. This is assuming you think Geisinger will become an elite RG in this league when it's R.Thomas time to go. I'm thinking high round draft picks for Guards and Tackles (no later than a 4th-rd). We need an elite line like Dallas. Not a line full of Geisenger's. Hate to sound like I am writing him off without seeing him play, but if he was that special in the first place, he would have overtaken the aging R.Thomas by now, or at least we would have heard Buges raving about him in the preseason. Can't say having Geisinger on our team is reason to put off using a high draft pick on a Guard in the near future.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | September 25, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

No Marco Coleman was a DE, I think we did get this guy from the Dolphins though and then he went on to play at Denver. He was a DT in like 03' maybe 02'. Had a beast of a season for us. He wanted a big contract for us afterwards, but we were concerned about his bad back,so we let him walk he ended up in Denver for bigger money and sure enough his back gave out and Denver got burnt. Luckily we didn't. He came after Dana Stubblefield and Dan Wilkinson.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 25, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Get off Zorn's back about not understanding the Cowboy/Redskin rivalry. How would he understand it when he has never been a a part of it? When it comes to that kind of rivarly his only real frame of reference is the Seattle/Oakland match-ups. Which most of you in here would not have a clue about becaue it's west of the Potomac.

One last thing. Walter I'm speaking to your child reference. The only children I see walking around these days are some of the people who leave comments like yours in here. Grow up!

Posted by: lefthandedslingshot | September 25, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

RedskinRay1 , I know who you mean now but I can't remember his name either.

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Darrel Gardner came from Miami and played for the Skinz under Spurrier and subsequently left for Denver.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm liking the quality of the conversation today. Well done gentlemen.

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins Fan in Fla | September 25, 2008 9:34 AM

Posted by: Department of Fan Cards | September 25, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

This is funny, here is DC this is the biggest game of the year and all everyone talks about, yet down in Dallas its just another game they need to win! I guess thats because Jerry is Snyders idol but will never get the championships.

Posted by: Joe Gibbs | September 25, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is he suddenly posting even more?

Maybe it's just that he needs to be gone!!!!

Posted by: Fire JLC | September 25, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Riggo is all about his paycheck always has and always will, really could care less about the Skins,he has Danny Boy sniffing around him thats why he has a job with propaganda radio 980 I personally don't get all the fawning over him yes he was a good running back but I thought Stephen Davis was every bit as a good as Riggo, he was shown the door by the dumbest coach in the history of this team El Stupido(Spurrier)or he(Davis) would have surpassed Riggo in terms of rushing yards.NOW!!! Lets kick some Dallazzzzzzzz!!!

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | September 25, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Bubba hates the Boys 'cause we f*ck up so many of your players and he has so much work to do.

Posted by: DeMarcus on the Prowl | September 25, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Even Steve Spurrier came in talking smack. Zorn could at least pretend there's animosity. LOL!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

The truth is the Redskins haven't had great DT play since Butz and World Grant left. They didn't have many sacks but the way they collasped the pocket made Pro Bowlers out of Mann and Manley and you could just forget running on them. Griffin has his moments when he isn't hurt, but it only seems to be in spurts. Golston, Alexander, and Montgomery are just average.

Posted by: jamnew | September 25, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Pearlman Interview - Which player interested you the most writing this book and why?

"Oh, Charles Haley. He peed in a teammate’s car, masturbated in the locker room, very manic, loved, hated, loathed, tolerated. The ultimate merging of tragic and victorious."

Pearlman writes:

Haley would stroll up to an unsuspecting (49er) teammate, whip out his phallus, and repeatedly stroke it in his face. Players initially laughed it off…

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I've seen Butz recently and he looks like he could still outplay a lot of todays players, lol. Not really but he did look svelt and in shape, 'ol Pumpkinhead

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The DT you are talking about is Daryl Gardner. He was a BEAST for that one season. Unblockable.

He wanted big time money to stay and everyone lambasted the Skins for not keeping him and then he went on to the Broncos and his back promptly went out...which is the reason the Skins didn't keep him.

Posted by: Big Rich | September 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"If you were at any point really "looking forward this summer to the potential beating the Cowgirls might lay on the Dannyskins" then you are no fan at all. There is NO excuse for rooting for the Cowgirls over the Skins. Period. Please turn in your fan card immediately."

Exactly. I can't stand those "Randy Quaid in Major League" type fans, who seem like they love to root against the Skins just so their stupid a$$ed predictions can be right.

Posted by: Big Rich | September 25, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Zorn has no idea how intense this rivalry is. I live in Seattle and I can tell you that the Seahawks/Raiders rivalry is NOTHING compared to the Redskins/Cowboys.

Posted by: WazzuBrian | September 25, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

yes, you can most certainly challenge penalties. remember the 12 men on the field call that we challenged against the vikings last year. when it comes to the play clock etc. you can challenge the call and clearly ARZ decided not to

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 25, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Tuck Fallas!

Posted by: Peggy | September 25, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Duck Fallas!

Posted by: Peggy | September 25, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The only thing close to this rivalry is SOX/Yanks and that is baseball and not nearly as violent as this rivalry. i understand hatred is hatred but yuo get to knock the snot outta someone on every play in this game!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe Gibbs | September 25, 2008 10:31 AM

----------------------------------------------
Coach, actually I believe Snyder is Jerry's idol because at least he's won playoff games this decade. Can't put the cart before the horse, win a playoff game first, then Jerry may get a championship.

Posted by: J.K. Cooke | September 25, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I think the rivalries that could compare to Dalls and Skins are the early 80's Lakers vs Celtics or early 90's Celtics vs. Pistons.

Now, staying with Skins rivalry, which do you'll thinks is the next in line for the Skins? I'd say it's Skins Eagles (remember the body bag game?)

Posted by: Henry71 | September 25, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

By the way, didn't Daryl Gardner play for the Rams or Cardinals before coming here?

Posted by: Henry71 | September 25, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Loved that comment about sitting next to Bubba.

To Zorn -

if you lose this game to the Cowpies, you'll hate 'em.

Posted by: charlie | September 25, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse