Zorn Lays Out Offseason Plans

Jim Zorn donned a suit and tie to address his team for the final time this season, wanting to set a tone for the offseason. Zorn, his staff and the football operations side will spend the coming weeks planning the course of the organization, and while he anticipates there will be changes, he is unsure of specifics at this point.

Zorn was unequivocal that Jason Campbell is the quarterback, and was adamant that it is his desire to retain his entire coaching staff after the 8-8 finish. When asked whether he intends to divest himself of any of his duties - play-calling, working with quarterbacks - he offered a firm "no." He believes that calling plays and working with the quarterbacks are two of his strengths and noted, "We got better at the quarterback position."

Zorn was vague about offseason specifics and what direction the team will go in an attempt to get better. As for personnel changes, "I don't' know what a lot would be," Zorn said. I asked Zorn about the feeling, among some, that the age and injury issues with this team might prompt it to get a lot younger, and maybe take one step back to eventually take two forward.

Zorn said those sorts of things will be discussed, but in general, "I don't know if I'm willing to do that yet," he said of rebuilding. Zorn was asked specifically about the offensive line and pass protection, and said, "We have to improve in that area."

Zorn is also eager to see improvement from this year's rookies, most of whom contributed little. Zorn called their development in 2009 "vitally important, because that's our future."

Zorn said it would be hard for the Redskins to trade out of their top pick (13th overall) -"That's not an easy pick to just go ahead and move," he said - and that if the team does take a player that high, the expectation would be that he would bring immediate results.

"He would have to play," Zorn said. "He's going to have to play."

Zorn said he will allow the veterans a fair degree of freedom about whether to work out here or elsewhere, and the voluntary workout program will begin March 16. The coaches will be off for 10 days beginning Wednesday, then will return for offseason work. Zorn will conduct staff meetings today and tomorrow before they depart. Zorn said the Senior Bowl trip would be optional for most assistants, though he will be among a contingent there, and the staff will work through the combine in February and into free agency.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 29, 2008; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Being Clinton
Next: Zorn Elaborates on Surgical Lineup

Comments

What is happening with TheWarpath!? Fix it, Matty!

Posted by: yo123 | December 29, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a problem is that Portis isn't jealous of Riggins? You know, that thing called a Superbowl ring? Maybe Portis should strive for that instead of his 1500 yard rushing season.

Jeeze.

Posted by: TheTruth11

actually, nevermind, I just remembered PORTIS POCKETS STRAIGHT, so to hell with team awards.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 29, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I dislike it when players skip voluntary workout to do it somewhere else. This is your team you don't play at the U you dont play in AZ you play here. Work out with the 50 guys who will be on that sideline with you.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you bro! I need my warpath fix!!!

What is happening with TheWarpath!? Fix it, Matty!

Posted by: yo123 | December 29, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloresFan | December 29, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

lisa is the howie kurtz of RI.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 29, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Truth,
I assume you don't get to hear Riggo's show down south. Trust me you hear how he talks and its all Riggo's issues.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I predict the Skins will draft a RT, pocket collapsing DT, or SLB with the 13th pick.

Who would be available?

Posted by: siris | December 29, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if anybody has watched the Springs interview on redskins.com, but it's funny that Portis is getting killed for his "attitude" and Springs sounds just as bad. Especially when Springs doesn't play most of the year because his toe is stubbed.

Posted by: Lacantwrite | December 29, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

yeah Alex, never heard it so maybe I'm wrong.

but that report about Portis does bother me

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 29, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Siris,
I think its way too early for a mock draft.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"LOL, actually, all those guys you listed are:

1. Currently Employed by the NFL
2. Have stats next to their career. Albeit small, but stats just the same.

Can you give me Mason's career stats??

Posted by: BeantownGreg"

Because we all know that's what determines a superstar. Being employed by the NFL and having less than negligible stats.

But you're right, Mason is not a good player because because his coaches haven't put him in the game, while those 3 simply need to be "thrown to" more to bring out their awesomeness.

Be consistent. Either you need to see something tangible out of a player to think he's good, or you can have a "gut feeling" about a guy to think he could be good. Don't switch your standards.

Posted by: psps23 | December 29, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Michael Oher (ole miss) - RT

Brain Cushing (USC) - SLB

Albert Haynesworth (signed as FA from Tenn.)

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 29, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Springs pre-game presser would worry me more than what portis said after the game.

Springs gave up on this team and should not have been on the field.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Brian...

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 29, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 29, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 29, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Siris,

it's NEVER too early for a mock draft my friend!

DL in the first round is full of fail. No one looks that great to me.

OT is stacked with first round talent.

OLB, if Aaron Curry somehow falls to #13, we better snatch him up. He's a gamechanger.

OL is stacked in the first 3 rounds. Mostly in center and tackle. Guard is okay, but nothing great.

LB is pretty solid through the first three rounds, too. Laurinautis, Marcus Freeman, Brian Cushing, Aaron Curry, Ellerbe out of UGA as a late 3rd/4th rounder.

DL just doesn't look impressive to me. Tyson Jackson is good but #13 would be a reach. And the DE's are good but won't fit our system. There are a couple run stopping DT's, but I don't think that's what we need.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 29, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

FYI, BMitch making a great argument for putting DLine over OLine.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Blow the ship up! Start with Vinny, and trade everything that has value for draft picks... it's the only way we're gonna get better! I don't mind JZ staying around, but the rest must go...

Posted by: 1of9000 | December 29, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

You need to see something tangible.

Thomas et. al havent proven anything beyond their ability to make an NFL roster.

Mason hasn't even proven that.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 29, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I dont see a big deal with Portis trying to get 1500 yards. Every player in NFL have some sort of goals they personally want to achieve. You think Portis would have said this when he had 1300 yards. He still ran hard behind this old arse Oline and had a good success.

Posted by: thewayitis | December 29, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Says a lot right there. The Vinnster had better make it a good one. I also infer from this that Chad Rhinehart, Devin Thomas, Malcom Kelly, and Fred Davis are going to have to play. The guys they drafted for the defense already are except for Tryon.

"He would have to play," Zorn said. "He's going to have to play."

Posted by: periculum | December 29, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

FYI, BMitch making a great argument for putting DLine over OLine.

Care to summarize? Because there's no way he's making that great of an arguement.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 29, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see more of the Gregg Williams blitzing bananza circa '04 and '05 back in DC...we created pressure and havoc thus resulting in TO's & points (Bal, Phi, Pitt)but I don't see that w Blache.

I like him and the D has played well but his philosophy of reacting to the run first then pass rush and avoiding the big play is a recipe for success but not with our limited offense learning a new system...

Posted by: forever21 | December 29, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Fck Dan Snyder. Just about everything I read today is disturbing and disgusting.

Trading Rogers would be stupid and we wouldn't get anything higher than a 4th for him anyway.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | December 29, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"You need to see something tangible.

Mason hasn't even proven that.

Posted by: VTDuffman"

That's all I wanted to hear. And that's exactly where I have viewed Mason -- just below the 3 second-rounders we drafted this year. Neither has proven anything, all 3 are worth giving a shot.

BTW, Mason has proved his ability to make an NFL roster. The Jets did sign him to their 53-man roster.

Posted by: psps23 | December 29, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Most think Eugene Monroe for the Skins apparently. If Oher were available, if they could move up.
So you might have a new line out the gate with the draftee plus Rhinehart. If he's good you may even move Samuels to right tackle.

"but OT would be a safe pick, Jason Smith, Ebon Britton, Eugene Monroe all might be available. Also, Duke Robinson at guard might be worthy of a first round pick.'

Posted by: periculum | December 29, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

psp, point out where I said those guys were superstars because it didn't happen.

I wanted the team to throw the ball to any of those guys to see what they could do, to get the ball in their hands, somehow you think thats a bad thing, and that to me is just hilarity.

I'm been consistent the ENTIRE TIME about Mason, go look this shti up, the guy can't cut it in the NFL, PERIOD. Unless the defense is made up of guys soon to be FORMER NFL players, Mason can't cut it.

Don't believe me. Go as the Jets. Don't believe them, go as the Ravens.

Answer me this, Mason was release about 3 weeks ago right?? Why pray-tell hasn't he gotten picked up yet?? I mean surely there has to be some team that see's his potential.....right

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 29, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"Neither has proven anything, all 3 are worth giving a shot."

That should say all 4 are worth giving a shot.

Posted by: psps23 | December 29, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

If play calling is one of Zorn's strengths, then I'd really hate to see what his weaknesses are.

Posted by: fufighter2121 | December 29, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

If we could get a 2 for Rogers, I'd say do it. If we could get a high 3 for him, I'd say do it too.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 29, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Simple that, we are bottom of the league in turnovers regularly and are one of the only teams that did not score a D-TD. Simply that the turnovers start with the D-line, pressure and all.
More turnovers = short fields for the O=more points.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

TheTruth11 as far as DT goes, I think if the skins traded down it would make sense to get one. BJ Raji from BC I like a lot. The others as you say don't offer much in pass rush. I think the premium pick would be at LB, either Curry or the LB from USC, because there aren't as many difference makers there as there are on the OL.

Posted by: TWISI | December 29, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Mason will sign with Denver and rush for 1300 yards in 2009!

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 29, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

That should say all 4 are worth giving a shot.

He got a shot, though.

He couldn't beat out Betts or Cartwright.\

How much of a "shot" should he be given?

Until your "gut feeling" is proven right?

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 29, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"The only problem with that is Springs is your other CB besides Hall (assuming he's resigned) and he can't stay on the field and is a year older."

Which is exactly why you don't do it. The secondary is the main reason the defense was top 10 this year. All of you who want to ship Los out will be eating your words next season when Smoot and Hall are getting burned.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | December 29, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

truth, I think Curry might be a product of the system he's in. How big is he?? I think he could get eaten up at the NFL level...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 29, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I would love to know which "source" JLC is getting the Carlos Rogers rumor from because it certainly is not coming from the Skins directly (they do not talk to JLC).

It would be crazy to trade Rogers - especially since we keep hearing how Springs will not be back (and he is 30 and a free agent after next season). So if we sign Hall and trade Rogers, that leaves us with who after Springs is cut? Hall and Smoot? I think not.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 29, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Taking anything less than the equivalent of where we drafted Los is a net loss. He is a solid no 2 CB.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Curry will be gone by 13 and we don't have the ammo to trade up.

He couldn't cover fast TE's in college, he'll get eaten up by Witten, Smith and Boss in the NFC east. Especially as a SLB who has to line up over the TE most of the time.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 29, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I have heard the Los rumor from someone other then JLC on the pre-game talk shows.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"point out where I said those guys were superstars because it didn't happen.

Posted by: BeantownGreg"

Thank you for proving my point about consistency in the same exact post.

On the one hand, you want to give the rookies a shot "to see what they could do" even though they have shown essentially nothing to warrant that.

On the other hand, you're basically saying forget Mason, he's never shown anything in a regular season game even though he's never been given a chance, therefore he's not good enough to cut it in the NFL.

It's inconsistent logic my friend.

Posted by: psps23 | December 29, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

More turnovers = short fields for the O=more points.

That's not really a "great" arguement, though. It's true, and it's definitely the reason that DL needs to be addressed...

But even with a short field, a team with no OL can't punch the ball in. With no OL you can't rush, and with no OL you can't protect the passer. See yesterday's game for an example of us turning a Turnover into 3.

This offense lives and dies with the OL. The decline in production for Portis, the Passing Game, and overall points can be directly correlated with the breakdown of the OL. OL is this team's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th priority this offseason.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 29, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

WTF is Zorn smoking. Play calling his strength. He had to be joking.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 29, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

psp, I'm curious...32 NFL teams are aware that the Marcus Mason is available to sign right now, correct??

Yet...not ONE...Not ONE single team has chosen to do so......care to explain why this might have happened.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 29, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

One move Zorn should do is to get rid of the Gibbs playbook that Zorn seem to have found in mid season and come up with a 2009 style offense.

We had to be the most boring offense and so easy for teams to defense.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 29, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

trading carlos rogers would be a mistake...earlier this year people on this blog were saying he should make the pro bowl (legitimately, not with the skins PR garbage). He's a very solid cover corner, did well in the slot when there considering he never played there before. Give this kid a break, he even managed to catch the football yesterday!!!

Posted by: carsonspence | December 29, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Zorn always seems so unsure of himself and non-committal. He has since the day he arrived.

Now he goes back and forth on whether the team needs to get younger and take a step back or stick with the current group, amazing that after watching 16 games of how this team plays that should even be a question at this point.

This roster is full of veterans earning far more than they would anywhere else in the NFL given their productivity.

Posted by: leopard09 | December 29, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Checked some draft sites including Mike Mayock and here are the seniors who should be available after the 10th pick in round one:

Offensive Line: Michael Oher, T, Ole Miss T;
Jason Smith, T, Baylor

Defensive Line: Larry English, E, Northern Illinois; Michael Johnson, E, Ga Tech; Peria Jerry, T, Ole Miss; Ron Brace, T, Boston College

Linebacker: J. Laurinaitis, OSU; Clint Sintim, Virginia

Def Back:William Moore, S, Mizzou; Alphonso Smith, CB Wake; Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama

Of course the draft order will be determined mainly by underclassmen, so it's likely some of these guys will slip into the second round, particularly the safeties.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 29, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

He got a shot, though.

He couldn't beat out Betts or Cartwright.\

How much of a "shot" should he be given?

Until your "gut feeling" is proven right?

Posted by: VTDuffman

---------

Or until it's proven wrong.

And trust me, I'm not the only one that felt that way about Mason. I'd go back and find Zorn's quotes from preseason about how he was sure that Mason would be kept, but I'm far too lazy for that.

No, he didn't beat out Cartwright or Betts. And Thomas and Kelly didn't beat out Thrash or Randle El. That doesn't mean they'll never beat them out. Again, we're not talking about handing the guy a multi-million dollar deal and the keys to the franchise. He's cheap youngster with potential and upside. To me, there is no difference between someone like Justin Tryon and Marcus Mason, except that Mason didn't get lit up in preseason, and Tryon just happened to be a 4th round pick.

Posted by: psps23 | December 29, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I hope, boy do I fervently hope, that Blache will be asked to pick who he wants to keep. I suspect that Rogers will make that list. Springs provides the veteran leadership the DBs need. Horton can be rotated into the mix. As can the others if they play the specials well.

Its at linebacker where the changes will come if they decide just to stick with Blades and perhaps Taylor? Then they need a little more depth. The DL then becomes the focus. Most especially at end. Unless they sign Haynesworth.
Then the defense will need just a little tweaking.

So, it seems as if the best best is to go OL throughout the draft. OL is deep in this draft. The Skins need OL desperately. Unless a "sleeper" skill player appears at RB. I'd tend to shy away from the receiver position entirely. Given their recent run of bad luck there.

Posted by: periculum | December 29, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to trade any young and talented players, you had better get one heck of a deal. Los isn't a world beater, but he is a solid contributor on the only bright spot on the team (10 times better than Smoot, stays on the field more than Springs, and is younger than both). So he won't command much value in a trade, and losing him will weaken the strongest part of the team. Not a smart move (taking into consideration what value he demands).

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | December 29, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Lotta energy wasted on debating the merits of Marcus Mason and Leigh Torrence on this blog. Both stink, let's move on.

This ass backward franchise would try to do something stupid like weaken one position where we have talent. Trade a good young CB for a draft pick Vinny is going to make. I know this scheme is going to make us elite, and quick.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | December 29, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

psp, lets end this foolishness. when mason gets picked up, by what will be the LUCKIEST TEAM IN THE WORLD...you can go be a fan of that team, and then come back here now and again, and regale us with tales of his greatness.....deal??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 29, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

The skins need to trade back at least once in the first round to pick up a 3rd or late second.

Easier said than done, but it must be done.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 29, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

VINNY CERRATO, 2 weeks ago:
"I mean, it came down to Phillip Merling, people say that we maybe should have taken," Cerrato said. "He has seven tackles right now for Miami."

Merling: 1 TDs
Entire Skins defense: 0 TDs

I hope people remind Vinny of his comments about Merling. Repeatedly.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 29, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

With the schedule we have next year (Carolina, Atlanta, San Diego, Tampa, along with the NFC East) we're looking at 8-8 or worse.

Vinnie must go. Soon.

Posted by: TiredOfLosers | December 29, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | December 29, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg

----------

Maybe because nobody is in need of a running back with 3 weeks left in the season and virtually no time left to teach him the playbook -- which means you'd essentially be paying him for nothing. Just because he's not on an nfl roster right now does not mean he's not a good football player.

Can you explain why TWO teams this year have acquired Mason's services, DESPITE the fact that he's shown nothing in a regular season game? I mean that is the end-all be-all of talent evaluation. Where could they possibly have generated their interest from?

Posted by: psps23 | December 29, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Only nine months 'til kickoff, ladies and gentlemen! Nine months! Woo-hoo!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Blache was asked last night after the game why Springs and Hall have been delegated as the starters lately. He replied that Springs has always been a great DB and that Hall has shown to been a ball hog - making INTs and holding onto them - said he had to prove that to them when he first arrived. That is why they were starting. Nothing personal against Rogers or his playmaking skills just Springs and Hall's ability to make INTs, etc. Blache was happy that Carlos made an INT yesterday, though.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 29, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"Never mind Vinny wasn't close on his numbers. Yesterday, Philip Merling recovers a fumble and returns it for a TD that provides the WINNING TD that puts MIAMI in the PLAYOFFS."

It was an INT...so he almost caught as many balls as the Skins rookie receivers did.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | December 29, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I think that Mason would be a great 3rd back for the Redskins. He looked great in the pre-season and think about the guys playing O-Line that he was running behind. So what if he was playing against other teams 2nd and 3rd string guys. The guys that were blocking for him were the back-ups for our dreadful O-Line! It's not like they were creating monster holes out there!

Posted by: NCMatt1 | December 29, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who

He actually caught 1 more TD than the 3 of them combined.

Posted by: psps23 | December 29, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Someone commented that jerry Gray had never been a cordinator on the last post that is wrong he was the defensive Cordinator in Buffalo.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Who would I put out as our most tradable players?

1. El (some GM has to think he is work a mid-draft pick still and he is coming of a good year for him)
2. Betts (this is depending on what Zorn thinks, but based of play time you got to think they dont like him much)
3. Jason Taylor (Before we cut him may as well take a look and see if we can get anything at all for him, a 6th rounder would be better than zippy)

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Can you explain why TWO teams this year have acquired Mason's services"

Once acquired, what was the ultimate result after each team saw what he was capable of?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 29, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Jim forgot to mention that while play calling may be his strength, scoring points, apparently, is not.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 29, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the correction on the Merling TD ...

point remains, a rookie DL that Vinny could have picked (Merling) scored same number of points as all 3 Skins #2 receiver picks and the Skins defense combined.

And Merling's TD was the difference that got Miami into the playoffs

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 29, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

That was me, forgot about Grays time in Buffalo, was he calling the plays as DC there or was GG?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmambouray85 | December 29, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 3:01 PM |

That I don't know but he was well schooled in Williams defense, so he would of called mostly the same thing.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"He actually caught 1 more TD than the 3 of them combined."

Haha, that's so funny it hurts a little. How can an NFL GM get away with lying about player's stats with no repercussions? It would be one thing if he was close...Vinny said Merling only had 7 tackles on the season when he had 17 at the time, and 2 sacks. Granted this was on Redskins Nation, the biggest propaganda producing entity since Nazi Germany.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | December 29, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Only nine months 'til kickoff, ladies and gentlemen! Nine months! Woo-hoo!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

That's just about enough time for all the guys here to get someone pregnant!

Posted by: TiredOfLosers | December 29, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough Flounder.
I wonder if Gray would stay with the skins if offered the DC job when Blanche retires.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough Flounder.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 3:05 PM

I hope he would take a HC job, before he would offer to stay for a cordinator job.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Guys, according to NFL.com, Philip Merling of the Miami Dolphins played in 16 games with two starts, had a total of 26 tackles (20 solo), is credited with 1 sack and 2 passes defensed, and intercepted a screen pass for a TD yesterday afternoon against Washington.

A fine young DE prospect, definitely. Reggie White, definitely not.

If we'd had him this season, it would have meant one less hole to fill for next year. But it would probably not have meant much this season, at least in terms of QB pressure.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 29, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me, he didn't intercept against Washington, although it feels like it when you're reading this board.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 29, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN:

As far as finding a new GM, Lerner (Brown's owner) has asked for permission to talk to Patriots vice president of personnel Scott Pioli.

Snyder needs to talk to Pioli. Fire Vinny.

Posted by: bmo63 | December 29, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Or grab Parcells for this slot if the ownership majority of the Phins change and he becomes a FA.

Posted by: bmo63 | December 29, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"A fine young DE prospect, definitely. Reggie White, definitely not.

If we'd had him this season, it would have meant one less hole to fill for next year. But it would probably not have meant much this season, at least in terms of QB pressure"

Point is the kid almost put out the same numbers we got from Jason frickin Taylor and he only started 2 games.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | December 29, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Now that I think about it...wouldn't it be funny if Parcells became GM of the Skins? Jason Taylor would have to feel like he's jinxed.

Posted by: bmo63 | December 29, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NCMatt1 | December 29, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

again beep beep

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with the "fire Vinny and JZ mentality". Just because the Fins and Falcons turned their team around in one year doesn't mean you fire those that don't. Let's wait and see if Vinny and JZ learned anything this year and how they fix it next year. Sure, you could argue that when you're getting that kind of $$$ you shouldn't have to "learn as you go" but even veteran coaches learn something every year. If Vinny drafts some lineman and last years draftees "produce" this coming year and JZ learns how to call plays and we win the division everybody will consider them saviors. I expected us to go 8-8 this year. After starting off 6-2 I thought 10-6 was a possibility so I must admit I am a little disappointed but I knew when we were 6-2 that we weren't REALLY a 6-2 team. We were 4-4 at best so ending up at .500 isn't such a tragedy.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 29, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Let's look at the bright side. TO will be at home with his popcorn watching his boy Donavan in the playoffs.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 29, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"I, like many teams for the services of Carlos Rogers, would give my right arm for Bill Parcells! Never in a million years would Parcells ever work for that little midget Synder.

Posted by: NCMatt1 | December 29, 2008 3:25 PM "

Well, he worked for Jerry Jones - an older version on Snyder. Of course, maybe he learned his lesson from that experience.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 29, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

TRADE PORTIS WHILE HE is HOT and get alot for him now... TRust this he is Done after next season (Just think when was the last time that he scored from more than 20 yards away.... MY point exactly I can't tell you how many time he get into open field and falls for no reason any other decent rb would kill with all the carries that he gets and still with over 80 more carries than the top two leadings rushers they still be him out... ) don't pass up on young players for a 30yr old back

Posted by: kmambouray85 | December 29, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Can't trade Portis...too much money tied to him.

Posted by: bmo63 | December 29, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Sounds crazy, but why not trade either Cooley and/or Portis for two/four young OL, while you can still get something for them. Then move Sellers to TE (Cooley's spot). He's a better blocker than Cooley and can catch and run. Use your 1st round pick on a DL or LB, then your third rounder (or next pick, whenever it is) to replace either Cooley or Portis - you can get quality skill players in later rounds if you have good scouts. All this presumes you have a competent GM in place who knows what they'e doing, which we don't have right now. Sounds radical, but we need to rebuild the entire OL.

Posted by: Redman2 | December 29, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Matt Cassel is available...

Posted by: newportnews | December 29, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

What offensive and defensive lineman would be available at 13? Anybody know?

Posted by: bigjofc | December 29, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Of course it really does not matter what position the redskins are drafting. With Vinny running things they will either trade the pick away for an old washed up veteran or draft a player that won't make the active roster on game day. Vinny must go! Danny take the keys from Vinny and send him packing!

Posted by: bigjofc | December 29, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see the Skins take Rey Maualuga with the 13th pick. Marcus Washington is most likely leave, London is great but getting old. This kid has the intensity the D is missing and the intimidation factor that ST21 brought to the field.

Posted by: brian58 | December 30, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse