Posted at 12:18 PM ET, 02/10/2011

Coin Toss: Do Grimm and Monk deserve HoF status?

By Washington Post editors

Fox's Jason Whitlock opined this week that standards for entry to the Pro Football Hall of Fame have been watered down and used the Redskins' Russ Grimm and Art Monk as prime examples. (See Dan Steinberg's DC Sports Bog for the full story).

In Grimm's case, he said that certain players are elected based on the success of their teams, rather than their own performances. "Russ Grimm didn't start in two of the three Super Bowls the Redskins won! He wasn't a starter on those teams!" Whitlock said. "They put him in because of the Hogs nickname, and because John Madden made him popular. It's a joke."

In Monk's case, he said the receiver's longevity, which allowed him to compile a string of better than average seasons, gave him Hall of Fame numbers.

"Playing a long time and acquiring a bunch of stats doesn't qualify you for the Hall of Fame....I contend if Art Monk were being judged against his peers every year during his 16, 17 year, however many year career, he wouldn't be a candidate and we would have never gotten into this debate about whether Art Monk should be in the Hall of Fame."

Your thoughts?

By Washington Post editors  | February 10, 2011; 12:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Samuels ready to help younger players
Next: Redskins making plans to move training camp

Comments

BTW, thanks for asking, monk jr. is doing well with the tubes, just sux having to hold him down to put the drops in his ears, he hates it!

Posted by: monk811 | February 10, 2011 12:07 PM

Good to hear he's doing well...he can borrow some of his spray if that would help...but not too much...I think Uncle PA is becoming a magical nasal spray addict!

Not sure what this Coin Toss is about? Are they trying to kick you out of the HOF monk?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 10, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell is Jason Whitlock? He's clearly an idiot. Art Monk was a big time receiver--and blocker--for a long time on some very good teams (quite aside from the fact that he performed in a classy manner, which certainly distinguishes him from some in the HOF like Michael Irvin). Russ Grimm was the best lineman on what was the best offensive line in football for a long stretch of time--a line that was the cornerstone for four Super Bowl appearances and three Super Bowl victories. They both were clearly deserving. Now if Whitlock wants to look at an undeserving player, how about someone like Joe Namath, perhaps the most overrated QB in NFL history--someone who I believe threw more interceptions than touchdowns in his career and had an embarassing low QB rating.

Posted by: nrjlh | February 10, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Coin Toss: Do Grimm and Monk deserve HoF status?

Is Jeanene Garafalo Ugly?

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Monk? Does he deserve it? You bet. #811 brought it on every play.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

THe guy is clearly a HATER and an IDIOT!

Enough said!

Personally, every member of the '91 O-line belongs in the Hall for taking a "Never was/Never will be" RB Timmy Smith to what is STILL an unbroken Super Bowl Rushing Record!!!

GREATEST OFFENSIVE LINE IN NFL HISTORY (PERIOD)

Posted by: filmchis | February 10, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

But I wanted to point out that Janeane Garofalo is hot, hot, hot, now more than ever.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 9, 2011 4:36 PM

Coin Toss: Do Grimm and Monk deserve HoF status?

Is Jeanene Garafalo Ugly?

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 12:30 PM

What can we infer from these two posts? Diesel44 wants Monk and Grimm out of the HOF. Boooo, Diesel44. (But, thanks in advance for responding to this post with your customary courtesy and civility.)

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 12:36 PM | Report abuse

[Word redacted] Jason Whitlock, [word redacted] [word redacted]

Posted by: 4-12 | February 10, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Whitlock typifies what's wrong with the sports media in general when it comes to the HOF. If you're not flashy, self-promoting, and a constant source of sound bites, you're not HOF-worthy. To too many of them, consistent production and professionalism aren't the traits they're looking for. Instead, they want peacocks.

Posted by: freakzilla | February 10, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts? I think Jason Whitlock is an azzwipe.

Posted by: wireman65 | February 10, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Haha monk, I see u removed the sans from ur vag and my nut from ur eyes n used ur hooked on phonics today U are the exact person I wrote my post about haha. You call me a redneck and urself imformed yet you know nada about me or sports. You claim your in the know which alone proves you dont, people with real talent dont talk bout it, there actions do. Your actions show younknow alot about male genitals Also I dont give a ish what u think, u come here to talk crap about people online cuz u have no ome to talk to in real life. I come here to see what people think bout the redskins, your here for your love of forskin. Sorry homo but im circumcised so get off my d!ck

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Not even worth a response...

Posted by: rickyroge | February 10, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey RI

Everyone watch out for monk811

Hes a real tough guy. He will call u all kinda of mean names!!!

He made me leave my couch in my trailer park cryin to my redneck momma

Hes really smart too, please nobody question his all knowingness, hes a football expert.

I heard HE is the reaaon shanny n elway won therw SBs. How dare elway forget you in his acceptance speech.

You should find his handle n make him cry like u did me you big bully

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Coin Toss: Do Grimm and Monk deserve HoF status?
------------------------------------------
What kind of garbage is this? Did they really ask this question of a bunch of Redskins' fans?

RI - Here's an idea. Flip that coin there in your editors office and whomever wins the coin toss goes out and does what real sports journalists do, like find a story. If you have no ideas, here are a couple:

-What is Big Mike Williams doing? Is he bigger than the Hindenberg or has he stayed in shape and is ready to make a comeback?

-If Furrey is still listed on the roster but has other sports journalists saying he has gone off to coach high school football, which is it? Can we count on Furrey next season or not?

-Let's say CP is done. As of this very moment, who would be the third running back and what is that dude all about?

-What about Malcolm Kelly? Is the dude 100% healthy and ready or is he a wasted draft pick?

-Is Jeremy Jarmon packing on the pounds now so he can play end a little heavier? How is his injury recovery going?

-Is Barnes a free safety or a corner? Is he putting on some pounds/muscle this offseason?

-I hear there is this little thing being negotiated called a "Collective Bargaining Agreement". Help us understand what could potentially happen such as the lockout, the union decertifying, the draft, free agency, scabs playing, etc.

-Is McIntosh gone and who would replace him if the Redskins started the season today?

-Vonnie Holiday? Philip Daniels? Jammal Brown? Stephon Heyer? Are these guys coming back?

Can you give us something that is newsworthy?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 10, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 12:46 PM |

Huh? Is today opposite day? I think you got this exactly backwards. You did mention the word "redskins" once in this post but otherwise it seems like you're more interested in monk than the 'Skins.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey RI

Everyone watch out for monk811

Hes a real tough guy. He will call u all kinda of mean names!!!

He made me leave my couch in my trailer park cryin to my redneck momma

You should find his handle n make him cry like u did me you big bully

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 12:53 PM
------------------------------------------
This is pathetic, Monk. You had to make up a retarded sock puppet so he would make you look smart? That is just sad.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 10, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Cross off George Blanda for starters, Mr. Whitlock.

And seeing how he really should've retired 6 years ago, Brett Favre's inflated/padded stats should block his entrance as well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Is there room in the HOF for R.Moss, Owens, Harrison, Reed, Bruce, Ward, Brown, Carter, PLUS, Wayne, Johnson, Fitzgerald and Boldin and the other young WR's who will probably pass Monk before he's done.

-------

Art Monk had BETTER HANDS than all of these WRs with no Stickum and None of the Super-Tac gloves they have now.

Art Monk could catch a bullet in the dark if he heard the gun go off.

If you wanted a first down all you had to do is throw it to Monk!

Posted by: filmchis | February 10, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I opine that standards for sports journalism are watered-down when fat-mouthed controversy-baiters like Jason Whitlock get respect of any kind.

Second, if a player is able to string together better than average seasons over a longer period of time than his colleagues, why isn't that "Fame" worthy?

If what Art Monk did was so run-of-the-mill, why aren't there more receivers like him out there? Where are all the 15-year receivers that continue to post "better than average" numbers year-in and year-out, breaking NFL records and winning multiple Superbowls along the way?

Posted by: p1funk | February 10, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The better argument is that guys like Harold Carmicheal, John Stallworth, and Art Monk were the prototype 'big' receiver long before that type of player was even thought of.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Beep

I thimk u got it opposite monk stalks me.

Hpw else would he kno I am a retarted redneck who posts from my couch in a trailer park while having a wang in ,y mouth???

I mean really the guy is that good!! He is not only the real offensive corsinator of the pats, he is also the sparring partner of chuxk norris,steve segal

I should stop mentioning him because I think I see him spying on me now from a far.

Why would such a great man such as monk makw fun of a poor white trash guy like me???

Its cu he got butthurt when I mentioned sand in peoples vajays n he took it personal

I disnt mention him in my original post but the sand must have iritated him to the point of being the biggest internet tough guy alive

Uh oh here he comes!!

Everyone bow before the allmighty monk

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Whitlock is way off base in my opinion!!! Art Monk was the #1 receiver in NFL in receptions...(what WR do by the way) He was the first to catch over 100 rec in a season. First over 900 in career. His statement about players playing for many years stacking up stats. How long did Rice play??? How long did Favre play??? So, neither should be HOFs according to this jackass. Whitlock, you're simple!!!!

Posted by: kevinlc555 | February 10, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Has brandon gotten into my magical nasal mist again?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 10, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 1:08 PM

I'm guessing that he deduced it from this series of posts you've strung together.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. As well his ability to line up at WR and TE. Oh and did we mention how DOMINANT a BLOCKER he was?

Posted by: filmchis | February 10, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Has brandon gotten into my magical nasal mist again?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 10, 2011 1:14 PM

If so, I think he sprayed it in the wrong orifice.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Lol beep

I couldnt find the spray only ur buttplug

I had along funny post RI didnt approve of

Basically my new handle will be tribaltats811 ao I can be a cool inernet tough guy like monk and you

Will I qualify then or so I have to talk about puttinf stuff in boys ears to be cool to u

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

e where people that think they are better than everyone else (you) can sit on their thrones (old couch in their redneck trailor) and judge other people (the REAL people in the know) and pick apart their every word and make fun of people for something they say or make up arguments and put words into people's mouths (like the c*ck in yours) when they don't understand (retard) the topic.

Sorry homo but im circumcised so get off my d!ck

Posted by: brandon_is_a_sally | February 10, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow, do you REALLY talk like that? If so you obviously have either a mental problem or a c*ck in your mouth like I said earlier. Seriously, you can't even cut n paste correctly, I don't recall starting a post with 'e'. Sorry about saying that you are sitting on your couch, you are obviously sitting in your wheel chair, which must be a short one if you are eye level with your boyfriend's d*ck.

Look who has sand in their vag now. I say one thing to you, which most of it MUST be true, because you've fired off with 4 quick posts WHINING and complaining about me. I'll back off if you can't take it little boy.

BTW, I have someone to talk to, right PlayAction? I'll try and be nicer to you since it is Befriend a Retard Day.

I fixed your User ID for you Sally. That's what I'm gonna call you if you are gonna whine and complain and act like a b*tch.

Finally, since I obviously got under your skin, Sally, I'm gonna use an old Personal_Fowl line:

I OWN YOU!!! HAHAHAHA

Posted by: monk811 | February 10, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 10, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't make up retardedness like this. This obviously comes from an uneducated, sick mind. Is it your puppet Beep???

Posted by: monk811 | February 10, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Any intelligent person who knows sports, knows Whitlock is a hack. He says things strictly for shock value. He's an idiot. Both men deserve HOF status. The fact that Art Monk received the longest ovation in HOF History is testament to the fact that REAL fans and KNOWLEDGABLE people appreciate that it shouldn't have taken so long for Monk to get in. Whitlock's BIGGEST claim to fame is he once blocked for Jeff George. He wouldn't have made it as a Hog. Well, he eats like one judging from his publicity stills......LOL!

Posted by: amontgomery1 | February 10, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Lol monk
There u go again talking about lil boys

I knew u were 50+ but u juat confirmed the pedaphile status
You say you own me?

Re read my original post I didnt mention you at all, so U must have read kt n took it to heart.

I fired off 4 posts laughin at you being an internet tough guy when u werent mentioned until you came at me.

My name isnt sally its tribaltattoughguy811.

Lmao so ur a tough guy and a scholar

Who gives a crap about copying and pasting perfection??

I kno who.... In the words of monk....NERDS!!!

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

lmao - Whitlock has been stirring shti up for years. That's his MO. He doesn't believe in half of it, imo.

That said, though, look at his premise. He's maintaining that team players shouldn't be rewarded as HOF'rs in a purely team sport.

NFL football is the most prominent sport in which an individual cannot achieve. You can't even score if your teammate doesn't hike you the ball.

Even by it's name and definition the HOF doesn't require stats. Nonsense.

Wh itlock?
more like
Sh itlock.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 10, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Coin Toss: Do Grimm and Monk deserve HoF status?
By Washington Post editors

See, proof that Reid is a Cowboy fan, he obviously doesn't like Grimm and me, I mean Monk, in the HOF.

This is the biggest DUH question of the year, idiots. Probably the first of the 'big' receivers, was Micheal Irvin BEFORE there was a Micheal Irvin, and no crack pipe. He led the league in catches when he retired. Grimm was the best of the best, the best lineman on the BEST offense line in NFL History. More Hogs should be in the Hall.

I got an idea for your next Coin Toss:

Do Sammy and Sonny deserve HOF status?

Keep up the good work Reid, aka Washington Post Editors.

Posted by: monk811 | February 10, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Somebody needs a time out.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 10, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I concur who is Jason Whitlock, for years I lived in the Kansas area and he wrote so many negative articles day in and day out. As far as Monk goes:

Look how few passes he ever dropped.
He was on a run first team and still put up big numbers year in and year out.
Played with other good receivers so your not going to get thrown to every play.
How many of his catches were for 1st downs.

Russ Grimm was one heck of a offensive lineman - don't know is stats OL don't get them except for holding calls.

Jason probably upset some KC Chief didn't get elected.

Posted by: wnbicher | February 10, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Look how few passes he ever dropped.
He was on a run first team and still put up big numbers year in and year out.
Played with other good receivers so your not going to get thrown to every play.
How many of his catches were for 1st downs.

Jason probably upset some KC Chief didn't get elected.

Posted by: wnbicher | February 10, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Just this : Whitlock must be the village idiot , of a village of idiots. To suggest such a thing. P.O.S.! GRIMM and MONK as well as eveyone else earned their strips. Fox ,go figure !

Posted by: killerskunk63 | February 10, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

monk811 and brandon_in_cali

without a keyboard and monitor, they'd be comatose

Posted by: hessone | February 10, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

tribaltattoughguy811.

Who gives a crap about copying and pasting perfection??

Posted by: brandon_is_a_sally | February 10, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Come on Sally, wasn't it you that said if you boast about it your are not! So that means you aren't a tough guy, although you might be considered a tough tranny, and you don't have tribal art tattoos, those are fake stick-ons, and somehow it probably still caused you pain to put it on, big baby!

I don't necessarily care about copying and pasting perfection, but I'd at least like you to take a 101 course, something basic cause it's obviously over your head.

Keep using my sayings, it makes me feel good, you dive ass NERD!

Posted by: monk811 | February 10, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

KC - mmmmmhhhhh baarrrrbequuuuuuu.

Best I've ever had. And that was at a frekkin' gas station or something. (Gas station w/ fancy restaurant).

Best vintage thriftshopping I've ever seen, too.

The burleque stuff was horrible, tho. Never felt so much anger during a nudie performance. Horrible angry lesbians. No Fun.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 10, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

hessone

i was posting absent keyboard and monitor from my cellphone ;)

i just think its gross that monk admit to going after little boys and more people arent pissed.

maybe hes catholic so he thinks its ok to touch lil boys.......

quote from monk...."I'll back off if you can't take it little boy."

the question is now how many little boys did he make take it without offering to back off???

good thing this guy is only online and not a real member of a community.......if so im sure hed be registered.....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

monk

lol dude. you just wrote this....

the point clearly went over YOUR head...... i was making fun of you being an tough guy so i said i wanna be like you and be cool and tough so ill get some tribal tats... lol i dont have any tribal tats you simpleton. only tough guys like you have those... again i was calling my self tough making fun of you....

you have know proved my point on how stupid you look tryin to talk crap online. i insult you for being a wanna be tough guy and now your making fun of me saying exactly what i said to you.

your alsheimers must be flarring up, or is that your hemroids??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

monk811 and brandon_in_cali

without a keyboard and monitor, they'd be comatose

Posted by: hessone | February 10, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

And what would you do without CAPS LOCK, whales, and $$$$$$?

Posted by: monk811 | February 10, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Everyone in the HoF deserves to be there.

Posted by: coparker5 | February 10, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"We can infer that beauty/HOF worthiness is in the eye of the beerholder. Clearly Nate was tanked and Whitlock is a fat POS drunk. Whitlock is the kind of guy that you'd rather smash a beer over his head instead of have a beer with."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 10, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

monk.

enough is enough. i dont want you to jump through my screen and chuck norris karate chop me to death.

like you said, im a retarted wheel chair riding pole smoking redneck who apparantly cant type well because a wienie is in my mouth ( how those make sense im not sure) so why are you responding to me??

did i get under your skin?? was it the sand comment, im sorry bro i didnt really know it was that sandy in there, or is it just a really big vag so it naturally holds alot of sand??

anyways tribaltatstoughsally811 out. later male anus diving nerd

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Whitlock brings to mind one of my favorite lines from Casablanca:

"You despise me, don't you Rick?"
"If I gave you any thought, I probably would."

Posted by: daddy00 | February 10, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Obviously arguing with Sally is like talking to Corky, I'm getting nowhere. Guess I'll just ITR, Ignore The Retard.

Posted by: monk811 | February 10, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

This is just a horrible blog fight.

Brandon...go to your room!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 10, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

there it is again... "dive ass"... lls

Posted by: RedDMV | February 10, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

i would go to my room but i fear monk may be in there waiting to "give it to me"

ewww monk you need help bud.

just cuz your daddy did it to you doesnt mean its cool for you to do it your kid man for reals.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

red

how do you handle these internet tough guys??? your a pro on here gimme some advice, should i ignore when people get mad at my comments directed towards others or should i fire back at them like they do everyone else??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Gayaction/ManSpunk

oh no please dont use your sock puppets to try to train on me!!!!!

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 10, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Gayaction haha...that was funny brandon...just too bad it was about me.

Beeps peeps

Posted by: PlayAction | February 10, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

time for work.....I'd rather read hess posting his drivel......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 10, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Whitlock = Ignorance. Monk held 3 Recieving Records at one point in his career, and owned 3 rings. He also played for a Run oriented football team, in a Run oriented period in football. Whitlock has his whits locked up somewhere.

Posted by: wewbank1 | February 10, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Jason (Reid not Whitlock),

Why did you dignify this with a response? Shame on you!

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | February 10, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

That dude is a moron, long before he showed his ignorance and said anything about Monk and Grimm.

Posted by: wjeremy26 | February 10, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

coparker

Everyone in the HoF deserves to be there.

Sadly, the same point could be made about any one in jail, cemetary, drunk tank, circus, insane asylum, and RI.

Those last three facilities essentially are the same, btw.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

An excellent pun:

Whitlock has his whits locked up somewhere.

We need more of this and less of mistahoemoe's lame, middle school, internet humor.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Mubarack is on television.

Watch.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

It defies imagination that anyone could say Monk and Grimm don't belong in the hall of fame.

Because Monk was great for a lot of years that diminishes the strength of his stats? What football universe does that make sense in? Don't you want a player who is consistently great for many many seasons?

Why don't you ask Randy White what he thinks of Russ Grimm? Have you heard of Randy White by any chance? He was one of Grimm's biggest rivals and was one who spoke in favor his induction.

Posted by: NebraskaSkinsFan | February 10, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

The Stupidest question ever asked and jason please find another paper to write for.

Posted by: southportwave | February 10, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to take anything Whitlock writes seriously. He's a contrarian who's made a career out of stirring up controversy. Every time he gets on tv he flabbergasts people by claiming that Jeff George was the best QB he ever saw, and he's always evidently delighted by the unbelieving responses he gets. It's too late now, but can you just please ignore this guy? He's a clown.

Posted by: shekb | February 10, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

So Art Monk (who at 1 point was the NFL's all time leading receiver before Jerry Rice came along) isn't a HOF'er but John Stallworth and Lynn Swann are!? C'mon now, Mr. Whitlock is clearly a joke. Longevity in the league is one thing that is extremely difficult to do, so trying to disqualify someone on that merit makes no sense at all!!! The average career-span of a normal player is around 4-6 years and Monk clearly lasted a lot longer then that as did Grimm. Consistency, professionalism, and doing your job day in and day out is something that is and should continue to be commended in the league. If you ask any of the QB's in today's game if they would like to have Mink OR Grimm on their team today I guarantee you that you'll hear a resounding YES!...Jason Whitlock, whatta clown!

Posted by: bamiller84 | February 10, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I've always found Whitlock irritating but his opinion with regards to Monk was completely idiotic.

Apparently breaking the single season and career record for catches doesn't count for much.

Sure, both records have been blown away, but the game is entirely different now and had already started to change radically about two thirds of the way through his career, as more an more people started copying Bill Walsh.

Monk achieved something that no contemporary or preceding player had ever done but, for Whitlock, apparently Monk never set himself apart from from his peers. Getting on to an all decade team doesn't count for much either.

Roaf's appearance on two of those teams plays a crucial role in Whitlock's support for his enshrinement, but apparently Monks selection to the 80's team (which covered nearly his entire career) apparently doesn't mean much.

Monk may not have been a flashy highlight reel receiver, but he was incredibly effective and played a vital role for highly successful teams. Fans remember this because we actually watched him play. Whitlock is judging him on highlights and statistics without understanding the context.

Roaf should have got in and Richard Dent isn't my idea of a HoF'er but Whitlock's position on Monk and Grimm just don't stand up.

That said, I always thought Joe Jacoby was the best linemen we had and thought he should have been the first to be enshrined. He was the prototype for the modern left tackle before anyone realised they needed one.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | February 10, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

They both very much DO deserve to be in there, Mr. Jason Whinesalot of FOX. Why are you caught up in something that's in the past? How about something in the present, like do the owners and the NFLPA get a deal done or not?

For the rest of us, my advise is don't go down to the fool's level with Jason Whinesalot. He'll probably beat us with experience! lol

Posted by: davedeltawhiskeybravo | February 11, 2011 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Simple fact is this: the Gibbs I Redskins are actually UNDER-represented in the Hall, by a wide margin, for a dynasty.

If our boys had taken SB XVIII seriously vs the Raiders, we would've been looking at four SB titles in 10 years. Accomplished while playing in the NFC East, instead of tiptoeing through the weak NFC West as the Niners did. Imagine how gaudy the Gibbs I W-L record would've been if we had six games a year vs the Rams, Saints and Falcons. Sweet Jeremiah Jones!

The following all deserve strong consideration for the HOF, in any order, and I'm sure I'm missing a few guys:

Jacoby - Every bit as good as Grimm in my opinion. Four Pro Bowls. Twice first team All Pro. Battled LT toe to toe.

Clark - The sparkplug of the team. The first receiver in NFL history to catch at least 50 balls in each of his first nine years in the league. He's hurt now by the way guys are compiling numbers but he was VERY much feared by defenses.

Mann - one of the most complete defensive linemen of his era. A feared pass rusher and run defender. Better than overrated Howie Long.

Manley - Personal issues aside, was arguably the best pure pass rusher of his era with 91 sacks in 109 starts from 1982-89, an average of more than 13 sacks per 16 game season. Also better than pretty boy Long.

Lachey - Three-time first team All Pro. A great, great player. Every bit the equal of Grimm and Jacoby.

Joe Bugel - nothing more needs to be said about this man. Best OL coach ever, one could argue.

B Mitch - during his career he was the best kick returner in the game, period.

Wilber Marshall - Most remember him as a Bear but his 1992 season, when he was NFC Defensive Player of the Year, was his best. Three time first- or second-team All Pro. Elite, no question about it.

I think all of these guys have a chance at some point, probably Jacoby, Lachey and Clark more than anyone.

One another note, Ricky Sanders has no shot at the Hall but did you know he has the NFL record for the most career touches without losing a fumble. Man, we used to be so fundamentally sound, didn't we?

Posted by: SkinsFanNYC | February 11, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

This "article" doesn't warrant a response! The Skins are the most under appreciated team in the NFL. Why? Because we don't have a bunch of guys on TV trying to write their own legacy. It is funny how we have a rash of guys who work for the league gaining HOF status. Just my opine!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | February 11, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

They're real HOF-er's, the Post should not give credence to Fox as if they were a real news agency...

Posted by: harrypoopers | February 11, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse