Colston to Miss Skins Game

The Saints, who play the Redskins on Sunday, will be without wide receiver Marques Colston, who underwent surgery Tuesday to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb. Jay Glazer reported that Colston will miss the next month to six weeks.

Colston was the Saints' third-leading receiver in their Week 1 victory over Tampa Bay. He caught three passes for 26 yards.

There's more on Colston after the jump, but first Jason Reid breaks down the upcoming home opener:

The Saints do have depth at wide receiver. They have five on the roster and, of course, have Jeremy Shockey. The Times-Picayune reports that former Skin David Patten and Devery Henderson are likely to be the starters Sunday. Second-year receiver Robert Meachem is likely, the T-P says, to be activated for the first time in his career as a backup.

The Saints were more buttoned up than the Patriots about Colston's injury. Coach Sean Payton will be available later this afternoon and we'll get the Redskins' defensive backs' take on the injury shortly.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 10, 2008; 10:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guest Blog - JC and His Peers
Next: How Will Teams Attack Redskins' D

Comments

Holy shiat. First!

Posted by: G Mon | September 10, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Holy shiat. First!

Posted by: G Mon | September 10, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

JC still has a good chance to the be the best quarterback of his generation. Most quartbacks don't develop like Montana, straight out of the gait. With JCs size and calm and rocket arm I think he will be outstanding within a few years. To end all this speculation by dim bulb fans, Mr. Snyder should give a new contract to Zorn in the range of 5 years and Zorn should committ to JC for 3. Then maybe we can get back to talking Xs and Os. I am ready, are you?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I guess we're supposed to be relieved that we don't have to face one of their better players? My, how this team has fallen.

Posted by: G Mon | September 10, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

It never ceases to amaze me on here that you guys want to crucify the coach after his first game ever (I seem to remember Gibbs 1.0 started a little shaky) but you continue to coddle and make excuses for the QB in his 4th season. I don't get it.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 10:36 AM

(1) Nobody is crucifying Zorn right now. All we (or at least I) were saying was that he needs to show something to make us (me) believe he's truly equipped to be a good/great head coach in this league.

(2) And the difference b/w Zorn and Campbell is that I've seen Campbell play excellent football in the NFL. He's shown that he CAN do it. Campbell's earned his leeway. Now we're waiting for him to take the next step, and make it consistent. With Zorn, I have no idea who he is as a coach. I feel like Zorn needs to prove something before he gets that extra leeway.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 10:51 AM

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Thats somewhat helpful.

This is literally a make or break game. Were not going to make up 2 games on the rest of the NFC East when we have Dallas and Philly on the road coming up. And if we lose, NO will have the wild card over us.

If this season is going to become anything other than an experiment, Sunday is a must win.

Posted by: whew | September 10, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Violating my own self-imposed no reposting principle ...
_______

Reflections on Zebra's link to Cooley's FF draft party:

1. Suisham's wife is the HOTTEST player wife, hands down.

2. Good to see Doughty's son up and around toddling.

3. Can I say how much I love watching Smoot do ANYTHING?

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

1. Suisham's wife is the HOTTEST player wife, hands down.

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 10:59 AM

Hands down what, sween?

Posted by: Mull It | September 10, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

dc, must have missed that link, can you repost?

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"Dude(s) I was kidding.......so was motivator I would think. Lighten up.

Posted by: dlhaze | September 10, 2008 10:47 AM"

well it's all over the NFL and specifically NFC East. That's fact.

Posted by: The Truth | September 10, 2008 10:49 AM

What's a fact?

Posted by: dlhaze | September 10, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

As much as I root against the Patroits, I wasn't glad that Tom Brady had a season ending injury. Just as much as you need players to cheer for, you need players to root against.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I don't think that anyone was legitimately wishing for the saints to suffer an injury to one of their top players, but injuries are becoming such a HUGE part of the 2008 season.

Brady, Merriman, Dallas Clark, Colston, Manuawai, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of them, but it really is effecting the landscape of the AFC.

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to make something clear, and I'm a person who hates to see anyone injured AND who loves to have villains to root against (as Red of DMV noted)...

F Tom Brady and his cheater coach. F the entire Patriots organization. F them forever, for the utterly unsportsmanlike 52-7 beating they put on the Skins and coach Gibbs last season. F them every which way, in perpetuity. F 'em.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I played the 2008 season on Madden and I got the Saints both in the regular season and the playoff. I won both games, but David Patten was shredding my secondary in both games and scored twice. Here's hoping that art won't imitate life on this one...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

You were on the money with the last post, about cheering for opponent's injuries being a problem in the NFC East. Every so often I go to Giants, Beagles, and Boys blogs to see how much kool-aid they're drinnking and last week a Boys fan on Blue + Silver Report wrote that he was glad that Brady is hurt and wants McNabb and Eli to suffer injuries as well. At least the Boys fans shut him down with this:

"Other than the cowardliness of not wanting your team to face an opponent’s best, I have no problem with you honorably wishing career-ending harm to Brady or other opponents. No matter that such thinking violates the Golden Rule and locates you among the barbarian horde who cheered Michael Irvin’s injury in Philadelphia. And I’m sure you won’t risk the charge of hypocrisy by complaining when like-minded barbarians rise to cheer Romo’s season ending injury, if and when. You would have loved the sport in Rome’s Colosseum."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

And let me go on record as saying some of you are pitiful people to wish injuries of any kind on anyone, let alone season ending.

Posted by: The Truth | September 10, 2008 10:40 AM

Truth--If wishing would make it so, then would I agree with you. But wishes are not intentions or actions.

Personally, I'll take any break we get. We've suffered through enough bad ones, now I'm happy to see any that give us a better chance of winning. I feel sorry for the guy who got injured but that's part of the game.

If you think that makes me "pitiful people" I accept your derision.

Posted by: motivator | September 10, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow, if that is really Nate he is more vitriolic than usual.

Wasn't JT traded for 2nd + 6th in 2009? And isn't Kendall trade for 4th in 2009? Would leave Redskins with only 4 picks (1,3,5,7 rounds) in 2009....but I am probably missing something.

Posted by: zornksins | September 10, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 11:10 AM

Yep. Good thing I picked the Steelers to come out of the AFC this year...

And I'll second the f-ing rant that Nate just smacked us in the earhole with. I hope the Pats don't win another game.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zornksins | September 10, 2008 11:16 AM

Erasmus James for a 7th

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 11:10 AM

What's scary is that the season is only one week and a few days old. By week 14 they'll be throwing CFL'ers, UFA's, and a couple of dudes who spin those advertising signs on the side of the road onto the field.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Holy SJK, Nate. Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Posted by: RambleOn | September 10, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

JT was a 2nd in '09, and a 6th in '10

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

At least the Boys fans shut him down with this:

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 11:13 AM

There is NO CHANCE a Cowboy fan can think that clearly and post with that much wit. Their posts read more like, "Pac got blowed up. Blown. That was a big hit. Blowed."

Oh wait, that was a Cowboy PLAYER...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I too will jump on the anti-pats rant.

You reap what you sew...maybe had they used a little better judgement last year, Matt Cassell would have been more prepared this year...

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

That FF draft for Cooley was hilarious.

Smoot gooched "timmy" brady saying, I don't need a backup I have Timmy Brady.

Colt Brennan looks really really small.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

so they have 1,3,5,6th rounders in '09.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Brownie, you're doing a good job...but I am that Cowboys man of whom you speak...and I'm a taking off my 10 Gallon to say thank you friend.

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 10, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

so who is gonna be our RB in 3-4 years?

Posted by: The Truth | September 10, 2008 10:48 AM

They have 1,3,5,6

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

no they still have there 4th Kendal was last year I think, and then they recovered that 4th with a compensatory pick

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

should be a 1,3,4,5, & 6

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Yesss!

But, they have David Patten and Brunell! The Ghost of Gibbs 2.0 seeks revenge.......

Posted by: 4th | September 10, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

should be a 1,3,4,5, & 6

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 11:26 AM

Jets get are 4th for Kendall

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 11:10 AM

Colts' Jeff Saturday, the other guard and center for Jacksonville, Titans' Vince Young, all playoff teams, all missing major pieces.

Pittsburgh looks the most dangerous after week 1. But my sleeper may have to go with Denver. Cutler is the real deal.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I just think whoever cheers for injuries, wishes for them to happen, or thinks that a player being hurt is an advantage for your team is straight up loser talk and thinking.

I want to face the teams best at all times. So when I came into work I don't have to hear fans from other teams (especially Dallas) using Colston NOT being on the field as some excuse. Ture, they're a part of the game, and we as Redskins fans have had more than our fair share (at least to us), but I want to feel comfortabale that the 'Skins aired a team out with their BEST players on the field.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I had to cut that ligament up with my Colon Shank! I want a Skins Win this week!

Posted by: Prison Balls | September 10, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Unless you grow up in Philly you get taught not to cheer an injury.

As someone said yesterday "Karma is a B#$ch"

The soiling of Belicheats rep began last year with Spygate and will continue this year sans Brady. He will go back to being the "genius" coach pre-brady with something like a 3-18 record.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

should be a 1,3,4,5, & 6

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 11:26 AM

Jets get are 4th for Kendall

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:27 AM

last year, and we got it back through a compenstory

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

scratch that, it was a 5th that jumped to a 4th this year based on playing time, which he hit, my bad, it is a 1, 3, 5, & 6

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 11:28 AM

The first two I agree with, but not the last part.

A player being hurt IS an advantage (most of the time) regardless of whether you wish it to happen. You think Blache feels sorry for the Saints right now? No, he's adjusting his gameplan to take advantage of the situation. It's a harsh reality.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Skinz, 42-58 overall record without Brady, or something like that.

Genius my @ss...

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Not really trying to be vitriolic, just that I'm not shedding any tears for the Patriots or their QB or their coarch or their fan base. Eventually I'll forget last season's embarrassment, but I doubt by that time I will have forgiven it.

We're gonna beat the Saints on Sundee. It's not going to be pretty, but it's gonna happen. And we're gonna beat them by 9 or more points.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The mock drafts are already starting for 2009, that is crazy. Most people have us going DE. Some have us taking Tebow. The biggest joke of all is some have us taking a WR that would really piss me off.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

don't blame the patriots for beating us, blame us for not stopping them, only losers get mad that other team ran it up on them, winners are mad at themselves for not stopping them. I don't like the patriots, but that's cause belicheck is a puck and brady is too, but I was embarrassed at our team, not mad at them, this is pro sports, they're job is to score and win, and most if not all of those guys have incentives in their contracts and they're trying to get paid as you would in their shoes, it was our job to earn our paychecks and stop em, not whine about not being able to.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins really didn't do anything in the offseason to help Zorn or Campbell immediately.

Granted, IN TIME Kelly and/or Thomas may be the real deal and be big time contributors, but that rarely happens in a receiver's rookie season.

No veteran WRs with experience in the WCO were brought in despite several being on the market at reasonable cost.

The Redskins also failed to address depth at DL and CB adequately.

I keep going back to the Fred Davis pick to say that the Skins drafting of receivers in round 2 was OVERKILL.

That pick really needed to be spent on DE or CB, for a player that is likely to be of much greater immediate help than a Rob Jackson or JT Tryon, who were drafted much later.

If the Redskins had taken a run stopping DE with that #2 pick, the team would not have had to go out and acquire the 34 year old Jason Taylor who cost the team TWO future draft choices.

Again, a case of being caught short at a critical position due to lack of adequate planning.

This team had far too many holes heading into 2008 to spend ALL of their #2 picks on receivers.

Vinny Cerrato and Co. seemed to have forgotten this was a 9-7 team last year, not a 12-4 one.

The decline in play vs. the run due to the absence of the 35 year old Daniels at LDE and the decline in play vs. the pass due to the absence of the 33 year old Springs at CB showed that the Redskins didn't do a very good job of planning ahead for 2008.

Posted by: Roy Hobbs | September 10, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Elfin to da Post | September 10, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Looking ahead to the draft eh? Maybe some WRs will be available...

Shame the rest of the division seems to have some clue.

E-A-G-L-E-S!

Posted by: Fan of Good Team | September 10, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tandler to da Post | September 10, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

brownie, linked from that excellent Emmitt Smith video, this is a sublime moment from DC local news, Jim Vance and George Michael completely losing it for a full minute after rolling tape of a model falling on the runway:

Gold, absolute gold. I *heart* Jim Vance.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

I meant with the Pats. Overall with the Browns and Pats I'm sure it was more although equally as bad.

Yes, they had better win. If not it's going to be a long ride home...

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:36 AM

I would invite several of you to join me for a hostile takeover of Redskins park if we take a WR in Round 1 next year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

I agree with you that I can not stand the Pats, but the whipping they put on us last year, was not there fault they were just playing ball could they have called off the dogs sure, but this is not little league. If you do not want a team to beat you that bad, then be prepared to play and play hard. The team was a joke that day played with no heart.

I do see your point though, I thought if Brady was going to get hurt this year, it would have come at the end of a blowout when he should have been on the bench.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:36 AM

Offensive line, defensive line, offensive line, defensive line.

Lines straight across the board. We need impact players on both sides of the ball. Enough of the attempted fill-ins and overachievers (Monty, Golston, Jackson, Heyer, Geisenger, Crummey, etc). I want actual playmakers, equivalent replacements for Griffin, Thomas, Robach, when the time comes.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

That's not Nate, I don't think...

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 10, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 11:40 AM

Count me and my colon shank in.

Posted by: Prison Balls | September 10, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 11:40 AM

Brown,

I will drive.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Zephyr, I guess we have different ideas of what constitutes sportsmanship.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 11:42 AM

PSP,

For once we are in total agreement.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Most people have us going DE. Some have us taking Tebow.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:36 AM
------------
While Tebow may be an effective college QB, I'm not sure he's early round material as an NFL player. Unless a QB has Michael Vick running ability, early round NFL QB's must be excellent pocket passers, which Tebow has not yet proved he is.

Posted by: RambleOn | September 10, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

You wear what you sew, you reap what you sow

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

No, it's me, John. Whatever "me" means up here.

Just in an ornery mood this morning. It'll pass.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Very True, Greg. I never thought about that how they would keep playing Brady in the 4th quarter could come back to haunt them other than Brady getting hurt. Good point!

psps23, I never said that I feel sorry for the Saints. I don't understand how going against Meacheam rather than Colston is to your advantage. Yeah maybe for that one game, but it doesn't help you gain experince against the best and some of our CBs need to face the best week in and week out, 'Los in particular.

Nate, I'm sorry dude, but I couldn't care anything about wins and losses from last year. My take on that 52-7 waxing last year was that the Redskins just simply laid down anyway. You don't want to get humiliated? Well it's simple then. Stop em'. They couldn't. End of story.

For the record, I don't have any sympathy for the patroits. As I said I root against them every game since 2001 after that truck rule B freakin' s. Come to think of it, I didn't like the Rams either. I hated how they came out of no where like the F'n Patroits.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

This has the benefit of both being funny and relevant because the reporter is Colt Brennan's twin bro separated at birth.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Looking ahead to the draft eh? Maybe some WRs will be available...

Shame the rest of the division seems to have some clue.

E-A-G-L-E-S!

Posted by: Fan of Good Team | September 10, 2008 11:38 AM

Hey, the jets want their chant back and the skins laugh at their lame attempt to match Hail to the redskins with fly eagles fly...

"The fight song was reputedly the creation of former owner Jerry Wolman's daughter, who, impressed by the "war chant" of the rival Washington Redskins, implored her father to play an Eagles equivalent during their games."

Posted by: Zebra | September 10, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, Nate. That model just about "blowed" her ankle out like 3 times in that clip. Glad I didn't have to read that.

Jim Vance and George Michael...damn I miss home...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

I do not see sportsmanship at any level of football, look at college scores every weekend 77-0 62-3. Even in high school football teams just punish other teams.

Sportsmanship would be great except for in college you have a system that gives you more points for killing a team rather then just beating them.

Pros with the incentives they get would be crazy to lay down because they were beating a team, that is money in there pockets.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Anyone catch Strawberry Shortcake's interview with Springs on CSN last night? I swear you can't understand a word that guy says...it was worse than his BMW radio commercial. But Shortcakes looked great as always.

Posted by: Kelli Johnson is Hot | September 10, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Do the Saints still have David Patten? He used to play for the Patriots and then the Redskins.

Posted by: Sweater | September 10, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Could the post hire Bram from ESPN to be the Redskins beat writer? Lockenflora and big head dud one the video need to go. I need more positive news about the team I love.

Later

Posted by: DT | September 10, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 11:50 AM

It's not about "laying down." It's about the play calling. It's about substituting backups for starters.

But the 'Skins D sucked -- no blitzes, no pressure on Brady. One of Gregg Williams' worst performances here.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 10, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Taken from PFT:

In the aftermath of Monday night’s events, the Titans declared that it was all a misunderstanding. But, based on what Young’s mother is saying, it sounds like there are still some unresolved issues.

“What would you think, if you were tired of being ridiculed and persecuted and talked about and not being treated very well, what would you do?” Felicia Young said. “What kind of decision would you make? He may not want to deal with it [all], but you have to get to that point before you make that decision first.”

Wow. So, basically, Young — who admitted in the offseason to past thoughts of retirement — is thinking about quitting the sport right now.

“[H]e will be fine if people are prayerful and help my baby boy out,” Felicia Young said. “He is a young man. He just needs a lot of love and support.’’

Taken from zjfr2:

Are you freaking kidding me? This guy gets to play a game for a living and paid millions of dollars to do so....never again in his life will he want for anything, he never has to worry about paying the rent or providing for his children. His is set for life because he can run and throw and I'm supposed to feel sorry for him and help him out. This type of stupidity angers me to my sjking core. Try being a mailman with four kids and then tell me about pressure. Or try being a police officer or fireman, that's pressure......this guy has had a charmed life and been a star and now he can't take some criticism when he plays badly? that's utterly pathetic...

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Zephyr, I guess we have different ideas of what constitutes sportsmanship.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 11:43 AM

Exactly! There was a time that when the fun bunch routine in the end zone was equivilent to Chad Ocho Cinco proposing to a cheerleader. And I honestly think most of the people who were pouring their eyes out last year over that 45 point loss, would've been clanking beer mugs and singing HTTR after all 7 TDs and one field goal.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

DT: "I need more positive news about the team I love."

Surely there are some media outlets which could provide this "positive news" you crave. I bet we could think of some.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Looking ahead to the draft eh? Maybe some WRs will be available...

Shame the rest of the division seems to have some clue.

E-A-G-L-E-S!

Posted by: Fan of Good Team | September 10, 2008 11:38 AM

I will accept a lot of ish talking about my team but not an Eagles fan talking about poorly drafting of WRs. You MAY have actually gotten a good one this year but only after years and years of failing miserably.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 11:49 AM

Come on, Red. It's the regular season, not the preseason or training camp. The object is to win. If playing against Meachem instead of Colston gives you a better chance at victory, then it's to your advantage. It's a 16 game season, every game counts. Going against Colston instead of Meachem won't do anything for the Redskins other than make it harder to win the game. I can't believe this is even an argument right now.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 11:49 AM

You don't lose 52-7 because it's fun. It's because you can't hang with the opponent. It's like taking some kid out back in a game of 21 and crushing his little hopes by winning 21-2. You know you can do it, but it's better for everyone if you don't. Maybe not the best example, but the Pats could have pulled starters and got conservative which also happens to make good football sense. I just don't buy the "if you don't like it, stop 'em" thing, because if you could stop 'em you wouldn't be down 52-7.

My only beef with that game is that if someone is runnin' up the score on you, that's dirty. I would get dirty too...and give Brady's right leg the Theismann treatment.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

te, agreed. If I'm the skins, and you're rubbing my face in it like the pats did, I'm taking brady down, and taking him down in a way that sends the message that they should take him out of the game, otherwise they'll be carrying him off the field.

I'm not advocating EVER taking a cheap shot at someone, but I believe in doing business, as business is being done.

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Later

Posted by: DT | September 10, 2008 11:54 AM

You must not live in the D.C. area--Bram used to kill the Skins on 980 all the time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

The recentluy drafted QB List...

Elite Young QB: Cutler

Maybe, Babies: Jason Campbell, Derek Anderson, Kyle Orton, Trent Edwards, Matt Cassel

Early Risers: Matt Ryan, Aaron Rogers,

Possible Big Bust Pile: Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Alex Smith

Much Too early to Judge: Brodie Croyle, Tavaris Jackson, JaMarcus Russell, Joe Flacco, Brady Quinn

Thought to remember: Redskins once had and gave up on Trent Green, Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfels.

Real Lesson to learn Here: The development process for QB’s is MUCH longer that previously thought.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 10, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Look who's on the front of Rolling Stone!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

...would've been clanking beer mugs and singing HTTR after all 7 TDs and one field goal.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 11:58 AM

That sounds like about 5 games worth of celebrating for us.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 10, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: boogie | September 10, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | September 10, 2008 12:08 PM

Skins didn't give up on Green, he left to go home to St. Louis. I think he also pointed to the uncertainty of the ownership change as a reason he left (wise choice).

Frerotte was decent, but he wasn't the long term answer here and Brad Johnson was flat out better (at the time).

Sage I would agree with.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I think Vince Young just isn't mentally strong to play pro football. He wanted to retire after his rookie season (which was considered good in many circles) and looks like he's having the Rod Tidwell complex.

No love, no love.

You have to understand that this dude has been loved and adored his whole football life. He was never booed for his performance on the field, unless it was opposing fans, and even then they were backhand booing.

I don't think you can compare the level of pressure of Vince Young or any athlete because they live totally different lives than you or I. We could nver undersatnd the amount of pressure they feel. Do you know what it's like to live up to a multi-million contract? Do you know what it feels like to throw a game clinching interception, at home, in front of thousands of fans, and millions watching on TV?

I damn sure don't.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

+++I would prefer to have Colston playing this Sunday... win or lose there would be no excuses.+++

Colston OUT and Malcolm Kelly IN? They must be going NUTS in Vegas rejiggering the odds.

I'm telling you guys, Kelly catches 8-10 balls Sunday. Take it to the bank and stuff it in your lock box.

Posted by: Glass Half Full Corkczar | September 10, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

I'm the outrageously and without reasoning Kelly bandwagon jumper. Back off tough guy.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I stuffed it in Sarah Palin's lock box.

Posted by: Al Gore | September 10, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Cork,
Agree with your quarterback analysis except for the Tavaris Jackson. He looks pretty horrible.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

beep beep jesse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Art and DOC are on 980 it is great to hear them talk old school Skins.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

+++I too will jump on the anti-pats rant.

You reap what you sew...

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 11:21 AM+++

Lordy, I HOPE not, Greg. The way the Redskins FO mistreated coaching hopefuls this last offseason, that would mean Zorn is overdue for a season-ender any minute now.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Boogie, thanks for posting that. I know the guys at Players Voice (including the guy who wrote the article), and they do some good stuff there. I think WAAAY too many people are associating Campbell's criticism and/or deficiencies to skin color, which I think is wrong. I long for a day when black QBs are no longer black QBs and just QBs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 11:28 AM

As is Eddie Royal, who ate DeAngello Hall's lunch, Monday

Posted by: Corkczar | September 10, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

psps23, you're right. I don't know why it's an argument either. You have your opinion and I'm going to have mine. There is something called in-game experince. Facing the best will give guys like Carlos Rogers this invaluable experince. You know, when you're breaking down tape from the previous game and rating your performance, you would rather break down the performance against the best. That's all I'm saying. I guess we're going to agree to disagree, okay?

brownwood26, like psps23, we're going to have to agree to disagree also. Yeah the Patroits should've pulled starters, but they were on a mission to prove that their super bowl wins weren't fluke due to the spygate nonsense. What sucked for the Redskins was they were on the schedule last year. I don't understand, If you don't want to get your ass beat in a fight, you either start throwing and landing punches, or run. Since they couldn't run (LOL) they should've thrown and landed punches. If they couldn't beat em', at lest make it close.

They couldn't even manage a F'n split decision.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Later

Posted by: DT | September 10, 2008 11:54 AM

Are you friggin' kidding me?? The posts on this forum are getting more and more ridiculous by the day. No one was more annoying than Bram.

JLC tells it like it is. The truth hurts sometimes.

Posted by: Pretzel Boy | September 10, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, this is painful for my fantasy impact. He's clearly one of the most talented receivers in the league and I certainly had him playing.

Video about real Fantasy leagues (2:40): http://tinyurl.com/5zr47h

Posted by: Roger | September 10, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Looks like JLC will already have a copout if the Skins win on Sunday saying they beat the Saints only because they didn't have their top receiver. I also found it funny that somebody posted earlier why people are making excuses for Jason Campbell. Maybe some of us want to see JC succeed even though all of you idiotic Colt Brennan lovers just want the guy out of there because you think your new Boytoy QB can come right in and turn the Skins into Super Bowl Contenders.

Posted by: ConcorNCSkinsfan | September 10, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Jason Campbell proves that he is not an NFL quarterback.

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

It is time to get rid of Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder !

Posted by: gary | September 10, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

brownwood26 where do you know Dave from?

Posted by: Boogie | September 10, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

deadskins

Posted by: chris | September 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

With or without Colston, the Saints have a quality QB with very good WR's and a top TE in Shockey who killed us everytime we played the Giants. Not to mention that they have a pass-catching RB in Reggie Bush who also is a match up nightmare. The Redskins will need to generate a pass rush and hope that ALL three of our top CB's are ready to go on Sunday. Brees is a far more accurate and consistent passer than Eli Manning and won't give us 4-5 chances for INT's. Shutting down the Saints run game is a given to have any shot of staying in the game as we have little hope of scoring more than 14 to 17 points given the current state of our offense.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 10, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Nate, that was an unexpected if not altogether unenjoyable tangent! You're one of my favorites on this site, but I must respectfully diverge ever so slightly on this one - I do feel bad for Brady. Not Belicheck, I agree there. BUt Brady is a true great and (forgive the cheesiness) epitomizes the American dream, inasmuch as a handsome, upper class white kid from NoCal can carry the torch for the "have nots". He took an opportunity, worked his tail off and became one of the best QBs ever to play the game. I dare say he's already Top 10, and has a chance to be Top 4-5 before it's all said and done. And while I don't know him from Adam, he seems to be a good dude. Plus he dates Giselle. And it was a questionable hit - not technically dirty, but questionable IMHO. I feel for the guy.

That said, Billy B is one of my least fav in all sports so I hope he is pickeling in his own emotional formaldehyde. Karmas's a b#&%h, Bill.

Ineresting prediciton for this weekend - big win? As Jane's Addiction once astutely opined, nothing's shocking but I think we win by a FG. To paraphrase Ron The Hedghog Jeremy's philosophy on women, I'll take it any way I can get it - 1 point, 17 points, I don't care. This is about as close to a "must win" as you can have in Week 2. I hate that term, but with a brutal 3 week stretch looking, we have to have this game.

Sorry for the ramble, HTTR

Posted by: Notorious LMG | September 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

p.s. I wish injury on nobody (well...maybe TO, j/k) but I cannot say I'm overly distraught that we don't have to face Colston. We've had more than our share of injuries/losses lately, I don't think we have to apologize for not facing that beast.

Posted by: Notorious LMG | September 10, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

NMICJE JRJCJD JJRKFIR JGKJT JRJT5TN

Posted by: agah | September 10, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I think injuries to memebers of the opposing team are irrelevent for the time being. To take "the glass half full" tack and inject some optimism into this discussion, I say this: The Redskins could not possibly play again as badly as they did in the opener. There's no where to go but up, and THAT'S a step in the right direction!

The power of positive (delusional?)thinking!

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!

Posted by: EKruse | September 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

First, its amazing that only one Wash POst journalist (Sally Jenkins) has the nerve to point out the incredible mis-management that is ongoing at Redksins Park for the last 10 years.... You have a 2007 playoff team that should be moved up to the next level with strategic gap personnel improvements...And what do they do?

A. They demote the QB that took them to the playoffs back to 2nd string, Todd Collins. By the way, true fact..the Gints Defensive coordinator instructed the Gints DL...."Get to Campbell but dont hurt him..or we will have to face Collins".

B. They bring in a rookie Head coach that has never called a play from scrimmage,

C. Bungled the Draft of 3 non starters in their first 3 picks...ignoring the most glaring needs, OL and DL.

D. Cut the two top producing pre-season offensive players.

But the Skins management can continue to be incompetent because all of you Skins fans moaning and groaning on these boards..continue to buy the merchandise and the concessions that fuels the stupidity of this management. Because of you THEY HAVE THE MONEY TO MAKE THESE MISTAKES. Watch the game at home.. And if you really need to get your kid a Skins jersey or you've got to have that Art Monk autographed minihelmet, go to EBay.. Because while you are ripping the mis-management of this franchise you continue to support the same management that is raking in millions off your emotional nostalgic merchandise purchases at local stores and shops....
Change will not happen until you, the Redskin Fan, changes... Protest with your wallet not just the Comment Boards!!

Posted by: JTT | September 10, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Most Skins Fans are not being parctical! A new rookie HC, with no play-calling , or previous HC experience and a new "O" {WCO} system, is not the formula for immediate success. This senerio calls for patience and time, for the HC to learn from his mistakes! Let not "throw out the baby with the bath water"! Give JZ some time and a chance! We have been dealt a hand, let's play it to the best of our ability. If you get a lemon, you can complain about the taste, or you can make lemonaide. What are going to do? Let's not critisize our players into depression! It's easy to be a fan when the team is doing well, the real fan show up when the team is doing bad!
I have been a fan since 1969! I am still here!

Posted by: Rabalac7 | September 11, 2008 4:11 AM | Report abuse

Is it only me? The way I see it!
The IR rules are out dated and impractical! The players need to be allowed to return after a minimum of 4 or 5 weeks on IR! Where players are now lost for an entire year. Allowing players to return later that season to help their teams, seems to make sense! The NFL product is being diluted, with the present system, as it is. Why can't the "Commish", see that? If he is concerned about abuse, he should severly punish the abusers!
By the way! Does anyone know that,the rules were changed, because of JG stacking player on IR? That's true!!!

Posted by: Rabalac7 | September 11, 2008 4:47 AM | Report abuse