Colt Brennan, fan favorite, is cut

Backup quarterback Colt Brennan, among the Redskin players most popular with fans, was released Monday shortly after the team traded for another quarterback.

Brennan, who struggled in the early stages of training camp, impressed at times during the preseason as a rookie in 2008. But the former University of Hawaii star struggled during the 2009 preseason and was in jeopardy of being cut until he suffered a hip injury in the final preseason game.

Brennan underwent hip surgery, his second such procedure in 18 months, and was placed on the season-ending injured-reserve list before the season began. He appeared to have lost arm strength after the surgery, and was mostly ineffective to this point in camp.

The Redskins on Monday acquired fourth-year quarterback John Beck from the Baltimore Ravens for cornerback Doug Dutch. At quarterback, Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman are entrenched as Washington's starter and top backup, respectively. Beck is expected to battle Richard Bartel for the No. 3 spot, though Coach Mike Shanahan usually carries only two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster.

By Jason Reid  |  August 2, 2010; 2:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins acquire QB Beck from Ravens
Next: Kareem Moore making the most of his chance at free safety

Add Redskins Insider to Your Site
Be the first to know when there's a new installment of Redskins Insider! This widget is easy to add to your Web site, and it will update every time there's a new entry.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

FIRST to say had to do it.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 2, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Of course, now the Cult is free to make his way to Oakland to supplant JC8 once and for all...

and minus all of the racism and bigotry that kept him from leading the "redskins" to the promised land.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 2, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? Oh that's right, a whole bunch of idiots care. Anybody else?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

FIRST to say that I simply cannot believe that there are really only 15 men in the world that can adequately QB an NFL team. It simply cannot be true.

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | August 2, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

And so it begins...

"Backup quarterback Colt Brennan, among the Redskin players most popular with fans"

Really? Most popular? According to whom? Is there a scientific study out there to indicate this?

WaPo's next moves

1) We get the "exit interview" from Colt posted on RI

2) We get the Cooley interview about Colt posted on RI

3) We get some lame poll about Colt on RI

4) Steinberg devotes a week to the aftermath

5) Some columnist - probably Tracee Hamilton - gives us an exposee

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Given that many idiotic Redskin fans thought Colt was the messiah just a year or two ago after a few preseason games against guys that were cut, I can't wait to read their post.

I'll say it again, Shanahan and Allen will show just how poorly this organization has been operated for the past 10-years and just how poor the talent was on this team.

Posted by: oknow1 | August 2, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

p1 you forgot D-Hall's opinion on Colt.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 2:50 PM

another "insider" source down the tubes...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't care about Colt either way - whatever.

Posted by: charley42 | August 2, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"LaVar Arrington is taking his talents to The Washington Post, where he'll write a blog called Hard Hits with LaVar and be my co-worker, I guess"

wow...just wow

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 2, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | August 2, 2010 2:46 PM

`

That's what makes the position so important.

It's also the reason why the same 8-10 teams who have them routinely make the playoffs.

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? Oh that's right, a whole bunch of idiots care. Anybody else?

Posted by: scampbell1975

Wow scamp, it must be hard for you to make friends.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I guess Beck has to be considered a bust, considering Miami took him 40th overall with the intention of making him a starter, but considering the guys taken ahead of him were JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Kevin Kolb, you could say he's right there with his peers.

Saying he 'played' in Baltimore last season is just being polite. He basically hasn't made an appearance in two years. But when you consider the Skins only gave up FA Doug Dutch, it's clear the Ravens were getting scared about the CB situation.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't care about Colt either way - whatever.

Posted by: charley42
Honestly, I'm not sure colt cares either way. If he is holding a clipboard or shagging balls in Baltimore or wherever next week, it won't be any different than doing it here.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? Oh that's right, a whole bunch of idiots care. Anybody else?

Posted by: scampbell1975

Wow scamp, it must be hard for you to make friends.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 2:55 PM

Actually there are a whole lot of people that don't like sugar coating. I call 'em like I see 'em. Most of them are not liberals.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Praise the lawd and thank you baby jeebus!

That loud bloodcurdling scream you just heard was KurtShanaman as he was splitting his wrists.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 2, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Another Vinny mistake bites the dust!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 2, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Considering the Ravens now have Doug Dutch, it's clear they are going to stay scared about the CB situation.

If you ask me (not that anyone has, of course) we should have leveraged the opportunity to ship out C.Rogers and get a high pick.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

What does Janso LaCanforra have to say about Colt getting cut?? Colt will be the Leigh Torrence of 2010!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | August 2, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

We need to trade for Dennis Dixon...I do not like any of the qbs on the roster at this point....Colt is WAAAAAAYY.....

Posted by: impervious99 | August 2, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Fan favorite? That is some bs. Only the most feeble minded were still riding this dude's coat tails from his 2008 preseason performance.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 2, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | August 2, 2010 2:46 PM

`

That's what makes the position so important.

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 2:55 PM

It seems to me that the teams that have programs/systems that break down (inherent weaknesses) and dont end up in the playoffs are also the ones that pull the trigger too quickly on players that COULD run the team if given the right system, development, and chemistry. It simply cannot be true that the top 15 teams win because they have the only 15 players in the world that are capable of playing at this level - it simply cannot be true.

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | August 2, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

or Jonny Jurgensen. That schlub doesn't know anything eith.... wait a minute.

It's too bad he never got a shot under that f-wad Zoron. Canada here he comes, eh?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 2, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I have to say about the man is this:

Now that's class. He didn't have to do that.

Posted by: spectre3724 | August 2, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I have to say about the man is this:

Now that's class. He didn't have to do that.

Posted by: spectre3724 | August 2, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Praise the lawd and thank you baby jeebus!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 2, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Cult of Cut?

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 2, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

SkinsSinceDayOne,

Well football is a team game. But my personal opinion is that winning begins at the QB position. Once you solve that position, you can start putting together the rest of the pieces.

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I knew this guy couldn't cut it his arm strength was no where near NFL caliber. all the fans that said he was going to be the next great thing i feel sorry for your loss but in the end he just didnt have what it took. Im glad to see the coach knows how to make moves based on his team and not on what the fans think they know. I wish him the best some team will sign him to hold a clipboard. And maybe the fair-weathered redskins fans who love him so much will trade there burgandy and gold for whatever colors he puts on this season because if they thought he was the answer they deserve to be cut right along with him for thinking this bum was the savior. thanks for the jersey sales cult have fun shark diving

Posted by: cpt55back | August 2, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

shanahan is making it possible for the team to take AH back, building up a supply of empathy - and at the same time standing tall and reaffirming leadership. both these are needed.

haynesworth probably isn't much good to this team unless he passes that test, for a lot of reasons, and only one of them has to do with having standard NFL lineman fitness. (linemen need endurance too, long drives, 4th quarter, etc.)

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 2, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Cult of Cut?

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 2, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Cut of Colt.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

he wasnt my favorite he will never take a nfl snap

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | August 2, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post will add former Washington Redskins All-Pro linebacker LaVar Arrington to the ranks of its sports commentators later this month. Arrington will write a blog on sports topics that will be featured on washingtonpost.com. He also will be a regular contributor to sports video commentary on the site and be a panelist on the Post's weekly Redskins webcast.

"I love the people of Washington, D.C., and now, teaming up with the Washington Post, I will have the largest platform I have ever had in staying connected with the true sports fans in the Washington area," Arrington said. "Being part of the Washington Post is almost as exciting as it was when I joined the Washington Redskins. I'm poised to give new and interesting perspectives on D.C. sports."

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

EVERYONE LOVES THE 3RD STRING QB!!!!!

Don't act like Colt did not have a cult following. I thought the guy wasn't the answer either but folks on RI were stupid over Colt. When Tood Collins got his chance to show why he was a 15-year backup, folks came calling for Colt once again. folks went into last year's training camp thinking this was the year for Colt to start over JC.

Posted by: oknow1 | August 2, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Some footage of ST21 clobbering T.O.

(trying to change subjects here)

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I want a report on how the offensive line looks.

I'm hoping physical and dominating.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 3:14 PM

Who wrote this for him?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 2, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Pinching a loaf right now.

Lap tops + wireless internet + bathroom = Paradise

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 2, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 3:14 PM

I think this is great. I love Lavar

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"I'm poised to give new and interesting perspectives on D.C. sports."

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 3:14 PM

Really?

Someone had better inform him that Skins-bashing is not "new" or "interesting", b/c right now that's his only schtick.

If we want that, we already have Sally Jenkins and Michael Wilbon in the fold.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 2, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Should have been cut last year. Check. Should never have been drafted. Vinny's guy!

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 2, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 3:14 PM

Who wrote this for him?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 2, 2010 3:16 PM |

Funny. Seriously, does the WaPo really need to add another Skins basher?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Good for you!
Hence the frequent and heated exchanges with frak who thinks its amusing to fu'k with ya. I don't hate liberals for being a little emotionally driven personally, I hate post-modern liberalism though for being a selfish, spoiled, and mindless system of beliefs which is (gasp) ultimately unsustainable.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Goes to show you Mike Shanahan isn't stupid. Colt took his fate into his hands. Man up or man out!

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I want a report on how the offensive line looks.

I'm hoping physical and dominating.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 3:16 PM

`

from what I saw today, they need to perform better on pass protection. Our D was blitzing a lot though

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Pinching a loaf right now.

Lap tops + wireless internet + bathroom = Paradise

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 2, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

My g/f actually sent me a text yesterday that said, "I just sh_t my pants."

I fell out.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

LOL extremeskins is probably in shambles right now. The hits over the last half hour have probably caused a crash.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 2, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

This shows me that real football guys are making the decisions. Snyder kept Colt around because he was popular with the fans, but he wasn't that good. Now that he was outright released, it means that Snyder is hands off. I'm happy.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | August 2, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

How did the run blocking look?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

iH8dallas,

aside from Willies big run today(about 60yd td scamper) it seemed like our backs were earning 2-3yd gains with the exception of 2 maybe 3 runs that went for more than 10 yds but not more that 20yds at best.

Again Clinton didn't take too many reps today and when he did I think he only carried the ball like 2 times and the rest of the time he was either pass protecting or running the flat route.

Clinton is our bread and butter in the running game.

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Good for you!

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 3:23 PM |

It takes all types my friend. Frak and I actually get along just fine. We both find it amusing to bash each other mercilessly. It's fun when everyone realizes it's all in jest and isn't really intended to be personal...unless it's personal.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Pinching a loaf right now.

Lap tops + wireless internet + bathroom = Paradise

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

Poopy, this silly theme based around defecation is as dumb or dumber than your moodlymoomoo blog handle. Please give us a break.

Question for the group: how many different handles does moo/poopy have?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Blitz pickups are always tough, even in mid-season. As long as they are blocking a 4-man rush, I'm happy for the fourth day of training camp.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Cult McBrennahan was good at playing against the Fresno States, Idahos, Outer Banks U, and such, but the 1st real team he played against (Georgia, and not even a great Georgia), he got CLOBBERED. He never had a chance to make it to the big leagues, and would have never been in DC except for the inept Vinny.

Posted by: Ireland2 | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Did they fly him in on the WaPo Heli like Snyder did?

Posted by: Stu27 | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Pfunk - head over to extremeskins and take a gander at the 20K post thread about Cult - foolish at it was, there was definitely a "cult" following.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Bye Colt. A lot of people didn't like your release, but I was OK with it. But durability? That'd be a problem. Accuracy? Another problem. Best of luck in the UFL.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I want a report on how the offensive line looks.

I'm hoping physical and dominating.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 3:16 PM

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I remember seeing a couple reports about the Oline, and the name "Clint Oldenberg" kept coming up.

It made me wonder (1) who the heck is he, (2) why is he getting reps and (3) isn't there someone else on the roster that should be playing ahead of him.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Probably why I don't hang out at extremeskins...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"Colt Brennan, fan favorite, is cut"

Notice that's "fan" favorite...as in singular.

Good riddance. Maybe now we can focus our attention on players that, you know, MATTER.

Lotta sleepless nights for Kurt Shanaman ahead. I wonder if he'll follow Colt to whatever UFL team signs him...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oknow1 | August 2, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

The most accurate statement I have read on this blog in weeks oknow1....Would have loved to see us keep Chase Daniel last year instead of a novelty and that is what Colt was. Chase showed more upside in 1-2 drives then Colt did in 2 plus years and it must be true because a true QB coach like sean payton snatched him up like minutes after the skins cut him . The ugly stain of vinny shall be eliminated in time but not soon enough. For every Orakpo, there were way too many linebackers converted to RB and visa-versa, punters with 4rth pick and trade away all that he can to help the little creep danny play fantasy football INSTEAD OF BUILDING A O-LINE. You could take vinny's football knowledge and it would fit on the head of a pin. Stay calm all, shanny will get this team turned around soon as opposed to later. We finally have real pros running this organization.... thank god! First preseason game is live on NFL channel(for us out of towners) and I can't wait...ALL HAIL!!!!

Posted by: klangley69 | August 2, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 3:30 PM

`

Ummm, I can't really comment on him. But if someone else liked him I guess that's a good thing.

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Probably why I don't hang out at extremeskins...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 3:32 PM

Don't think I saw anyone but chicks sporting a Colt jersey. Don't know why I'm bringing that up. That's all.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 2, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Pretty funny that a 150 pound weakling could do this conditioning test and AH is taking almost a week to get thru it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Is the media barred from practice yet? Where are all the reports on what's been going on at the practice field?

Sad to say, but Redskins.com is approximately 40x better than RI right now in coverage -- and it's not even the part of training camp where other media members get kicked out of practice.

This place has gone down the drain quite a bit.

Posted by: psps23 | August 2, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 2, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Why does a hip injury lead to a loss of arm strength? Who knows. But alas, a consistently injured 3rd stringer is never a good position to be in. I was a Colt fan...I admit it. But even I can't argue with cutting an oft-injured QB that has poor mechanics and delivery, throws weak and probably has lost a great deal of mobility due to hip surgeries.

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 2, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

The "CULT" following have blown up the site,can't get back on in another window....represent skinsfans, i love it, football is back and it's "shannytime" baby!

Posted by: klangley69 | August 2, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

A lot of dorks will be committing suicide in Washington tonite. Moment of silence for their fallen leader.

Posted by: MadeRED | August 2, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Colt should give the Canadian league a shot.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 2, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

He should have been cut 2yrs ago! I wish reporters would stop saying he was a fan favorite. Not with real football fans he wasn't.

Posted by: chrisd3758 | August 2, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: theBozyn | August 2, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"John Beck, now there's a player you can you hopes on. Who the F is John Beck? At least Colt would have been entertaining to watch. I hope the Skins go 0-16 with McNaab playing every minute of every game.
Posted by: theBozyn | August 2, 2010 4:24 PM"

Go slob Jerry Jones' knob then.

Posted by: Corvis777 | August 2, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

So this leaves Bartel struggling to make the non existent 3rd spot.

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 2, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

" I don't hate liberals for being a little emotionally driven personally, I hate post-modern liberalism though for being a selfish, spoiled, and mindless system of beliefs which is (gasp) ultimately unsustainable."- scampbell

That sounds like todays americans. What is so amazing is how they exclude themselves from criticism that they implore upon us. I guess this is what american exceptionalism is: Everybody except me.This, in fact, is typical of the ditto head. The very mindlessness that he extols is the very mindlessness that he is. There is no one more brainwashed than the fanatic and there is no one more fanatical than those who worry about what everyone else is doing. It is the mindlessness of the mindless. scampbell demonstrated this mindlessly. What other way could he do it?

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 2, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse