Contract Details (Read The Disclaimer, Please)

Some people have asked about how the Redskins move on from this, what kind of financial situation Sean's family is in, how he impacts the salary cap, etc.

I have held off on dealing with any of this to this point, and after running it by my editors they figured that this stuff is going to be reported and people have been asking about it, so they decided for me to post about it. If this is anyway turns you off, please, by all means, stop reading this right now. I totally understand.

Otherwise, here is some information in this regard.

The bulk of Sean's contract - which he signed after being drafted in the first round in 2004 - was already due to him in the form of signing and roster bonuses. Some of those payments may have been deferred, but for cap purposes, they have already been charged to the team. Taylor made $12.3 million in bonus payments (and roughly $2 million in base salary) between 2004-2007, and will count $2.5 million against Washington's cap next season, according to sources with knowledge of the contract.

After checking with the NFL and NFLPA, it appears that the Redskins can not apply for a credit for that sum. They could however, by the letter of the law of the CBA, try to recoup some of the bonuses already paid to Sean, given that this related from a non-football situation, but no one expects anything like that to happen and in fact owner Daniel Snyder has been exceedingly generous with his players in times of crisis in the past.

Taylor was due $1.1 million in base salary this season (including a $500,000 escalator he earned through his 2006 performance), and the Redskins could end up getting a cap credit for the prorated portion remaining of that against the 2007 cap.

Sean was to receive base salaries of $865,000 and $1.1 million the following two years, while his contract was voidable in 2010. In reality, he would have signed a massive new contract extension with the Redskins sometime in 2008 or 2009 in all likelihood.

Sean was fully vested in the NFL pension program and his beneficiary will get survivor's benefits and a life insurance payment through the NFL/NFLPA of at least $350,000, league sources said. He was not yet fully vested in the annuity plan; that would have happened after this season.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 27, 2007; 9:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Vigil
Next: Final Post Of The Night (I Think)

Comments

Thanks for the details.

Posted by: BT23 | November 27, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it interesting how quickly reporters start to think about this kind of stuff? While most human beings are still thinking about the loss of human life, the media is out there trying to think of new angles to keep the story going.

It never ceases to amaze me how different some people in the press are from the rest of us.

And hey, I'm not even knocking JLC for this since, like he said, if he doesn't report it someone else will beat him to the story. But still...it gives me pause to see how quickly the story shifts from the death of Sean Taylor to the details of his contract.

Guess this couldn't have waited a day or 2...

Posted by: Barno1 | November 27, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason,
I guess.

In all honesty, I am actually thinking, couldn't that have waited until we get through the actual day of Sean's death?

Anyway, you have done an admirable job keeping us posted.
It is my hope that the WPost, will permit you to go to the service next week, and report back to us readers.

Good job, Jason.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 27, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Disclaimer to those are gonna scream "didn't you see JLC's disclaimer!" Yes I saw it, and it wasn't gonna stop me from making my observation about the media's coldness in all of this...

Posted by: Barno1 | November 27, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

espn.com had posted an article about this earlier. it's under a link entitled "ramifications" and contains some different (and some contradictory) info.

Posted by: sales | November 27, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

It is cold if you are looking at it from a "what is our cap number. I have a different perspective. For me, it helps frame how much he has been guaranteed (i.e. has been paid). When you consider the two people he is leaving behind, I hope that he has saved most of it and glad it is not a back-loaded deal.

Posted by: BT23 | November 27, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I've got no problem with this post. The reality is there's going to be a lot of questions about it and someone has got report on it. Jason, handled this with thoughtfulness and sensitivity. Keep up the good work!

redskinsdb.com

Posted by: BandWagon | November 27, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

By god I agree with you. Dude, we are more on the same page than you think. I dogged you earlier because of your post, but I shouldn't have. I just wanted you to STOP making this a critique of everything. JLC was clearly conflicted. But that's the life of a reporter.

Just wanted to throw out an olive branch and let you know I don't disagree with you, just wish we could focus more on the fact that this hurts and a young man is dead and unable to raise his kid, who he clearly was using as a beacon for becoming a bettter man. Again, the media is the media. Like i said before. Pearl Jam - RATS, says it all.

Barno, you write too good to waste it on this negative banter.

Posted by: chadaleshire1 | November 27, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

JLC, ignore these bitter, bitter humans. Guys, the job of a reporter is to report, and that is what Jason is doing. I'm pretty broken up by the events of the last 2 days, but that doesn't change the reality of the situation. Barno just needs to get that giant pole out of his rear. Barno, this isn't about you. Don't hate on Jason because he deservedly told you to get a life, just go get one. This isn't about you or your feelings. This is bigger than you, you jack#ss...

Posted by: Mulface | November 27, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Thanks for posting this. It looks like Sean's survivors should be well provided for, and I think that should be a relief to all of us who have been concerned about them.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

By the way JLC. The RATS reference is in regard to the JOB of the media. Not individual reporters. This is an impossible story to cover and not upset SOMEONE.

Posted by: chadaleshire1 | November 27, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand some of the media's reaction to Sean's popularity. Czaban ( I know most people hate him but I am a 980 fan) said Sean was not as "beloved" as some others like Darrel Green or Riggins. Just saw Dave Elfin of the Times on WAPO Live and he said he didn't expect a huge outpouring of grief at the game on Sunday. He mentioned it wasn't Sonny Jurgenson or 911 or JFK's death. I obviously do not compare this death to any of those tragedies but get the impression that they think Sean Tay was not that popluar. Maybe I am clouded by reading RI all the time but I can't help but think that Sean was by far the most popular Skin. I see him as almost a cult hero not only on this blog but among most fellow Skins fans. I know Sonny and Riggo and Green are the most popular of all time and I love them just as much as anyone but I can't think of a more popular current Skin. Just a thought...
RIP 21

Posted by: rbd202 | November 27, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

rbd - completely agree. I think, if you ask most people who thier favorite Redskin player is they will say Taylor, Portis, Cooley (in no particular order). Like I said in a previous post, who are these reporters to think they know "the pulse" of our fans. It is obvious they do not.

Posted by: BT23 | November 27, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I think that Daniel Snyder will make sure Sean's daughter grows up through the means his eventual contract extension would have allowed. He has always striked me as someone who knows how to take care of his friends and employees.

Posted by: Joncevensen | November 27, 2007 10:01 PM | Report abuse

A good article among the crap from ESPN

Posted by: BT23 | November 27, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Chad, glad we could find some common ground. And I apologize and take back the dictator comment.

I think anyone who is on this blog making comments is probably greeving in some way or another over this. Part of my way of greeving and dealing with this tragedy is to express my frustrations with the way the story of the life of Sean Taylor is being told.

Even if I can only get one reporter to cover this story more responsibly, I feel like that's not an unworthy cause.

p.s. I think we all know how Sean felt towards the guys who cover him around these parts...Don't forget that.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 27, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Folks, if you read the transcript of this afternoon's chat, more than one person asked Jason about this issue. He didn't feel that the chat was the place to get into it, but he promised and update -- with disclaimer -- here, for anyone who was interested. He didn't just decide out of the blue to report on this, he's responding to questions that readers asked him. That's all. Please dismount from your high horses.

Posted by: js_edit | November 27, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I get you Barno. Well said!

Jeez, this is still surreal. I was a huge Terps fan as a kid and at about 15, Lenny Bias died and it crushed the end of my summer. Since then, I have seen and experienced alot. But say what you will about taylor's past, image, faults, etc, this guy has gotten into my heart. He quietly was becoming a local icon. His quietness almost added to the mystique. I think most Skins fans understood his resistance to the media. I know I kind of relished that they wanted his story so bad, and he simply walked right by. The media definitely punished him for it. But again, a reporter's job is tough. They NEED the story and will use the power of the pen to hurt those who won't give it to them.

Anyhow, my point is, this kid, for whatever reason, intrigued us and exuded youth and promise. We were kind of wacthing im grow up on and off the field, and I personally liked what I was seeing from him as a human. Its a sad day for the skins and a true loss for a young family.

Posted by: chadaleshire1 | November 27, 2007 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Thanks for your great balanced, professional and sensitive coverage of this story - both the personal/family tragedy and the hard news aspects. You've kept our extended Redskins family up-to-date in a way that traditional media just doesn't accomplish.

Charlie Archer

Posted by: ck_archer | November 27, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Joncevensen, I'm with you 100%. Dan Snyder won't try to get out of paying Sean's family anything that Sean was owed, and I'm sure that Sean's daughter will be well taken care of financially.

We fans may have our criticisms of Snyder and some of his personnel decisions, but he definitely takes care of his own.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 27, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

PS - Jason, thanks for reporting this. I don't think it was cold or callous at all. Practical matters still have to be handled by someone, even in the midst of great tragedy.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 27, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Cap ramification was one of the things I thought about.

You're allowed to have multiple thoughts. I doesn't mean you're not sad.

Posted by: p_chuck | November 28, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Let's not be overly dramatic. Sean is dead and we are all sad. The reason you even care about a 24 year old miami native is because he's a Redskins.

I'm heart sick that ST tied and it's the last thing i thought about last night and the first thing i thought about this morning but I went to work today. Did you? Is JLa's job to cover all things Redskins or write obituaries?

Posted by: Skinz | November 28, 2007 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem with this post. Some people just want to find fault with the news media. I have a lot of things that I do not like about how this event has been portrayed in the media, but this is not one of them. Many people may not wonder about this, but some people do. I actually picked up some friends from the Airport last night, they were coming back from LA, and when we got back to their place, we started talking about the murder of Sean, and my friend asked this very question... The salaray cap ramifications. He is a Redskins fan, and so am I, and from a, what is this going to do to the redskins in the future came up, and I think the real crime is the NFL, how a player can pass away, whether killed, OD on drugs, or for any other reason, and to have the player still count against the salary cap is the crime here. Luckily from the Redskins standpoint, its only 2.5 mil, but still, I hope the death of Sean will bring some changes to the NFL. Its not the Redskins fault he was killed. He counts against the cap, hey NFL, why one make the Redskins keep him on their 53 man roster as well. This entire thing is insane.

Posted by: jeff | November 28, 2007 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Jasno was responding to some of our questions about the contract and doing his job of reporting. He said don't read it if you think it's too early.

Posted by: NCICURN | November 28, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse