Cooley Apologizes to Teammates (Updated)

We apologize for the Loseable Type meltdown...Jason La Canfora and Jason Reid report:

Chris Cooley apologized to his Washington Redskins teammates today for posting a revealing photo of himself with the Redskins' playbook Sunday on his blog. Coach Jim Zorn posted the censored image in a meeting that kicks off preparations for the Arizona game and, as teammates laughed, Cooley sid he was sorry and would never do anything like that again.

Cooley said he hopes the matter is closed and, when asked if he would be fined or disciplined in any other way, said, "I hope not." Zorn will be available after practice.

Cooley said Zorn was more concerned with his actions as a whole and not with the fact that he displayed a page of the playbook, which is sacrosanct in NFL circles. There was no real information on the page Cooley photographed. "It was just a simple quiz on the Saints defense," Cooley said. "It didn't have anything to do with our offense.."

Cooley also said the nudity was accidental. "This was not a publicity stunt," he said. "It wasn't something we meant to do." He said the blog post was taken down as soon as he learned of the nudity and he posted an apology on the blog Monday.

His teammates were more amused than concerned about the incident. "Who holds their playbook, naked, in their hands, while sitting down?" quarterback Jason Campbell asked. "Only Cooley."

Said Clinton Portis: "I think his dog snapped the picture while he was studying."

...

Rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who sprained his right ankle in the victory over the Saints, plans to sit out practice today.

"I'm not going to go today, but I'll be back out there tomorrow," Kelly said. "I'll be ready" for this week's game against the Arizona Cardinals.

Kelly sat out the preseason and the Redskins' season-opening loss to the Giants after having Aug. 4 arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. He made his pro debut in Washington's 29-24 victory over New Orleans and caught one pass for six yards.

Kelly, however, was injured on the tackle. "It just got tackled wrong," Kelly said. "The good thing is that's it's not my knee, and my ankle really didn't even swell up right then.

"I went back out there for two or three series after that. It swelled up a tad bit Monday morning, but all the range of motion and everything is still there."
Kelly is confident he will be able to contribute this week. "No doubt," he said. "It won't be a big deal."

...

Portis on his radio tiff with Brian Mitchell: "It's just a situation in life. I don't think its a major situation. When you've got something to get off your chest, you get it off your chest ... We said everything we needed to say yesterday."

...

Linebacker Khary Campbell, who sat out last week's game because of a thigh contusion, plans to practice today.

"I'm all in," Campbell said. "We're going to test it out and kind of evaluate it after."

Campbell, a key contributor on special teams, recently had a pocket of blood drained from his thigh. "It feels fine now, but we've still got to test it and go from there," Campbell said. "We'll just see where it's at."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 17, 2008; 1:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The FedEx Experience: A Fan Speaks
Next: Taylor Reports Knee Is a Bit Better

Comments

Bemused Tallywacker!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

It's about time somebody gave these media know-it-alls a taste of their own medicine. Way to go CP!

Posted by: C Portis Run | September 17, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Losable type is acting up. Cant post from safari

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 12:48 PM

Well, tell us your coordinates and will send special forces to get you out of there!

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Tuesday Nickel

John Keim
WarpathInsiders.com
Sep 16, 2008

This week in the Tuesday Nickel, John Keim discusses Durant Brooks, Cooley's Blog, Santana Moss' deep
routes, Portis vs. Mitchell and Ports' comments.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

4th! LMAO!

Alex, why are you using the world's most insecure browser?

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Excellent help with "bama" yesterday everyone. I'm here to return the favor if you need on "tallywacker".

Posted by: Still pretty darn white | September 17, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Our German Shepherd Dog is approximately 10 years old and she is getting more neurotic by the day. Being left alone (without humans...she has two dog buddies) for more than an hour or two causes her to search for ways to get out of the house and she is usually successful. There is not a door in our home that she cannot open and she even figured out how to open the garage door with the button on the wall.

We have heard that low doses of Benadryl might be enough, but didn't know if that was safe or recommended. She weighs about 75 pounds if that matters.

Posted by: The View from 222 | September 17, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

So we started with "Cooley apologizes to teammates", moved on to "Cooley apologizes to bemused teammates", and now "Cooley apologizes to amuse teammates".
So did he?

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

B. Mitch will pimp slap CP into a coma.

Posted by: Mitch Fan | September 17, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

How does your ankle get tackled wrong? Was it able to hold on to the ball is all I'm concerned about....

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

BMitch should be fired. Simple as that.

Posted by: f_smoot27 | September 17, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the naked picture wasn't of Cooley's hot a** wife.

Posted by: Tender Branson | September 17, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Still pretty darn white | September 17, 2008 1:08 PM

I think I need help on Tally wacker, but now that I think about it.......Nevermind. Thanks, though.

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

After all, BMitch was pretty much a special teamer. Until you play every down and get hit like CP has, STFU.

Posted by: f_smoot27 | September 17, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Safari is insecure? Does it have feelings of inadequacy whenever Firefox walks into the room?

Posted by: P Diddy | September 17, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

What browser do most people with Mac's use?

Is there an Internet Explorer made for Macintosh?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Cload & daggar

I use 3-4 different browsers, I find Safari to work best on my macbook, especially for ripping off pictures from the web and stuff like that. I am waiting for Google's browser to come out for mac still. Also have Firefox but my girl uses that more for her fav's, and I have SeaMonkey, stoped using IE except at work.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

B. Mitch would pimp slap CP into next month.

Posted by: CPisasissy | September 17, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

IE stopped being made for mac at IE 5 (maybe 5.5) Its not even installed for new mac's and I don't think Apple has a download of it even. It was terrible except for looking at raw HTML in a back-end web page editor like mambo.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Not like Cooleys teammates have not seen his junk before.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Portis better watch what he says, because B Mitch is a BAD Man.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I will briefly share about my 2 different FedEx experiences:

1)Regular seats - Family had been a season ticket holder for a long time. Seats in the lower bowl were great, sort of behind the sideline at about the 25. Could hear pads/helmets crashing on the plays. The scoreboard is archaic. Danny needs to hook up one of those sweet hi-def joints like the Nats have. Prices for everything (of course) are off the charts. Best bang for your buck is the chicken fingers and fries platter. It's always great to be at the stadium - good fans (even when seats are filled up with haters from other teams I enjoy the trash talking), good vibe (when its going well), and it is freaking HUGE in there when the joint is filled up and screaming.

2) Corporate box - I once got to go to a game and sit in a box that was part of the owner's club level. It was out of control nice. Buffet table in a joint lobby area serving crab cakes, roast beef, etc. Full bar. Leather seats. TVs showing all sorts of games. Even had some Xboxes set up for the kids, pool table. It was like being in the lobby of a luxury hotel. The box itself has heaters situated over the lines of seats in case the weather is cold and you still want the window open.

For me the stadium's location and parking are just horrendous to deal with and prices are too high. But I like to go if it's one someone else's dime!

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

That tallywacker had a mole on it!

Posted by: Balbricker | September 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Fron ESPN:

QB's with 25,000 yards passing & 2500 yards running:

John Elway -- 51,475 passing yards & 3,407 rushing yards
Frank Tarkenton -- 47,003 and 3,674
Steve Young -- 33,124 and 4,239
Steve McNair -- 31,304 and 3,590
Randall Cunningham -- 29,979 and 4,928
Jim Harbaugh -- 26,288 and 2,787
Donovan McNabb -- 25,765 and 2,965

Did anyone expect Harbaugh to be on this list?? I didn't!

Posted by: will_ga | September 17, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell should apologize to his teammates...for being a mediocre no-talent.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 17, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Cload - thanks for asking - yes, back in Houston - no power, but I have gas, and can cook - so it's soup for days! (Everything else is cooked or has gone over)

I hear that Jerry Jones stole the parts of the Reliant roof to fill in the hole in Irving Stadium up there in the city that we won't name.

Thanks to all for your kind words as Ike closed in - that was pretty cool..and touching - RI is a good place!

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 17, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

12 or 13 years ago Brian Mitchell came to the Ga Dome for a Grambling Southern Game. I was a bartender at the time and being a lifelong Redskins fan recognized him (I had even gotten his autograph while attending Redskins sidelines). After risking my job and giving hime three free refills on his draft beer he tipped me a dollar...one f****** dollar...I hope Portis kicks his ass...

Posted by: G in the Atl | September 17, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

No IE for Macs anymore... and good riddance at that.
Firefox is pretty good overall, open source and frequent updates make it more responsive to flaws as they are identified.
Safari and Google Chrome are based on the same core engine (Webkit), which means that they'll get better over time, but we're still finding out what flaws are out there.
When Safari first came out, it was so fast that it was (almost) worth running. But Apple relies too much on security through not-admitting-there-is-a-problem. That'll change over time, but now is not that time.
Chrome is very interesting. Not ready for prime time yet, but that's Google for you.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

ESPN power rankings

How does two 0-2 teams, the chargers and the jaguars get listed higher than we do in the power rankings?

Maybe the chargers because the way they lost, but the Jaguars?

Posted by: Great One | September 17, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Cooley better study, cuz he just proved he's not all that bright!

Posted by: caphcky | September 17, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

JACKSON BENCHED, FREROTTE TO START FOR VIKINGS
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2008, 12:58 p.m. EDT

(shudder shudder)

Not Gus. How is he still employed in the NFL?

Posted by: will_ga | September 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Cooley better study, cuz he just proved he's not all that bright!

Posted by: caphcky | September 17, 2008 1:30 PM
But a good sketcher.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

On Portis vs. B-Mitch

I think there is plenty of criticism to spread around.

I tend to agree with bMitch's take on Portis. I like CP as a back, but he's got a primadonna streak in him that is very unpalatable.

At the same time, B-Mitch is totally a hater. He was one of my favorite Skins, but he's bitter about being shown the door at FedEx and felt pushed out by Snyder b/c his locker room presence was too "big". Not only that, but no one else I have heard on the radio responds with so much defensiveness and insecurity when his POV gets challenged. It's annoying because you want to hear some good back and forth on the radio. Unfortunately B-Mitch is one breath away from becoming an ESPN-blowhard in the vein of Sean Salisbury and Stephen A. Smith where he just shouts people down who disagree - that schtick gets old after a while.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News:Vikings are benching Jackson and going with Frerotte.

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

B-Mitch and CP are both gonna get cut if they don't quit the bickering!

Posted by: Prison Balls | September 17, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: f_smoot27 | September 17, 2008 1:14 PM

Until you play 13 years returning punts and kickoffs against crazies running full speed and get hit like B. Mitch, STFU. Mitch is 2nd all-time for NFL total yardage, he would steal CP in the mouf.

Posted by: B. Mitch Rules | September 17, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

JACKSON BENCHED, FREROTTE TO START FOR VIKINGS
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2008, 12:58 p.m. EDT

Beat ya by a minute!

Posted by: will_ga | September 17, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"In Gus, we Trust"

"Frerotte Forever!"

Posted by: Skins fan from 1995 after drafting Shuler | September 17, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News:Vikings are benching Jackson and going with Frerotte.

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 1:32 PM

Are either of them bemused? We need to work that back into the conversation. That, and more contretemps.

And more cowbell.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News:Vikings are benching Jackson and going with Frerotte.

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 1:32 PM

Cindy, you are a racist for posting this.

Posted by: Lurker part deux | September 17, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Aside from all the dramatics, I actually think Portis comes across as a real confident guy and a great team leader.

I was surprised he told the media what he really was thinking knowing how things can get taken out of context.

I love Fed-Ex field
I love puppies

Posted by: isnadd | September 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 17, 2008 1:27 PM

You first.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 17, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 17, 2008 1:27 PM

I get it now, this is like slang

like bad=good

Sport guru= moron

Posted by: Great One | September 17, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd pay to see BMitch beat every character out of CP.

Posted by: CPisapansy | September 17, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

First!

Posted by: coolest guy here | September 17, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

The Sports_Guru bemuses me - just because

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 17, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I like CP but does he really have to talk in the 3rd person?

Posted by: Chris | September 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

+++JACKSON BENCHED, FREROTTE TO START FOR VIKINGS+++

Those workmen who were holding the shade over the Redskin players Sunday? They've been flown to Minn to put up pads on the stadium girders.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: B. Mitch Rules | September 17, 2008 1:34 PM

Great logic. So you take the side of a has been who has a personal problem with our starting back. Why don't we just play little old has been BMitch instead? That sounds like a great way to win games.

Posted by: f_smoot27 | September 17, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ok IT specialists.....

Can any of you put an Operating System on my PS3? I've searched the internet(s) high and low and my confidence in doing this is begining to slip.

I've been trying for over a year now. Any help/suggestions?

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I would rather have Gus than Jason Campbell. The guy has one decent game, and surrounds them with 3 or 4 bad games.

Don't let his luck against the Saints fool you. All this does is prolong the inevitability of replacing him with Colt.

Start Colt now, before it's too late!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 17, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: C Portis Run | September 17, 2008 1:02 PM

I'm gonna steel you across the face chump !!

Posted by: The Ghost of B-Mitch | September 17, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | September 17, 2008 1:42 PM

I was at that game. 7-7 tie versus the Giants. I remember a couple of days later Frerotte appearing on a Redskins show wearing a neck brace being interviewed by Sonny Jurgensen. Sonny basically busted out laughing at him, and Frerotte was clearly embarassed and annoyed.

Good stuff.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

4th, I've read a bit about people jailbreaking a PS3 and putting Linux on it... mainly by people that wanted to use it as a BluRay player rather than a game console...what do you want to do with it?

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Are all these Colt fans the same guys that pulled for Babe Laufenberg back in the 80's? How many of these newbie fans even remember that name? Anyway, he was the 'hero' of every preseason going against garbage truck drivers in the 2nd half of these loser games. Just because Colt had a few decent games playing in the 'sloppy 2nd half' of a PS game doesn't mean he's ready for prime time. He ain't ready fellas, no matter how much you hate JC. If he was, Zorn would've worked to make that move. The kid can't even move ahead of Grandpa Collins...give me a break.

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 17, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I think CP is one of those guys who has to run his mouth before he can be motivated to perform at the top of his game. It's kind of a self-psyche deal.

There are other players like that, Reggie Jackson, TO, Muhammad Ali, etc.

If Portis plays like he did last Sunday, they should find something to Pi$$ him off every week.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 17, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

CP thinks he's AP. He ain't AP. Anyone that has watched that kid knows he's not. However, if CP ran like AP, he'd be one of the top 5 RB's. But he'd rather call out his coach, his OL and the equipment guy that forgot to shine his 'golden' shoes. I still think he's a top 10 guy but he doesn't always play like it. He did last week but let's see some consistency.

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: f_smoot27 | September 17, 2008 1:43 PM

B-Mitch is a ST legend, much respect to such a Bad-a$$. Anyone that understands how hard returning kicks is knows B-Mitch is a man amongst girls.

Posted by: V. Sikahema | September 17, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I am in CP's corner here.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Practice Update that Doesn't Warrant a New Post

From what we are allowed to see in the 10-minute window at the start of practice, Jason Reid reports, Marcus Washington, Khary Campbell and Kareem Moore are in full pads and taking part in light drills.

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

who cares what CP says, he plays hard every week, and every down. since he has been here he has put up #'s. out of the 4 years here he has put us on his back, he had that 1 year when he got hurt and people wont let it go. let him play football, we talk about all these ESPN analyst and hall of fame voters and how they vote and it should be on statistics and performance on the field.

When CP stops playing hard then you gripe, till then shut up and support him

Posted by: Great One | September 17, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly appears to be the only player not practicing.

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Correction: Nor do they see James Thrash.

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Currently, Laufenberg is the lead sports anchor for Dallas CBS affiliate KTVT. He was also the color man on the Cowboys Radio Network from 1996-2005, and hosted the head coach's weekly show during that period. He was replaced in his radio roles in 2006 by former Cowboys safety and pregame show host Charlie Waters. Laufenberg resumed his duties for the 2007 season.

Posted by: Babe L. | September 17, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I want use it as a computer. Surf the web, Excel, Word, Play videos, music.

They have Linux software (YellowDog?) but I wouldn't know what to do with it. I read in some PS3 blog that it'll take an amaetuer like me 2-4 hours to install. But I can't even get to that point!

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Compare CP's stats to Thomas Jones' stats over the last 4 years. They're almost dead even. I don't hear Jones name being mentioned in the upper echelon of RB's in the NFL. That's more Gibbs fault than his but it is what is. He was asked to play like he was Brandon Jacobs and that wasn't his forte. He's a good soldier and definitely plays his behind off on Sundays but don't come out and blame everybody but yourself for your shortcomings. This is the first year the guy has stuck around and trained at Redskins Park. Any surprise he got hurt a few years back? You can't take the whole off-season off to hit the clubs in South Beach and expect to be ready to play in the NFL. This ain't the 'U' anymore, you gotta train and prepare in the offseason. Let's see how his offseason work pays off this year.

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 17, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean that Colt will be the lead sports guy in Honolulu covering Rainbow Warrior games in 5 years? Not a bad gig!

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 17, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Start Colt now, before it's too late!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 17, 2008 1:44 PM

Hey Guru,

Banged your head into any walls lately?

Posted by: The Anti-Colt | September 17, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Corkczar in his reference to Sports Guru. By the way Corkczar, did you ever respond to my second post about the whole Reed Doughty situation? I looked but I could never find anything. Guru it isnt slang and it isnt opposite day. I love how people want to hate on a player and throw him to the curb without giving him a chance. You need to chill out on the haterade and give Jason some time to show us what kind of player he can be in this new system. The bottom line is he still hasnt started an entire season from start to finish and has only started a season and a half. He has been asked to learn system after system and this never breeds success for a quarterback. Give him some time. Winning does not happen over night. And the quarterbacks that step onto the field and immediately whip a** are few and far between. It is not the norm.

B-Mitch Vs. Portis

I loved B-Mitch during his playing days and respect what he did on the field. However, since then he has become nothing but a Skins hater and a punk. He runs his mouth about the Skins all the time and it is maddening to listen to. I dont know what his problem is. Also, for him to be hating on "The Kid" is ludicrous. Portis is the man. B-Mitch needs to know his role, STFU, and analyze Skins games without throwing his unwanted opinion into the mix. If they did throwdown, I know Southeast Gerome would leave B-Mitch in a gutter somewhere on L Street. BELIEVE IT!!!

Posted by: BT | September 17, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

With lil' Dano buying up all the local media sports' forums, Cooley should hold out for very big dollars from the midget owner/GM.

Once Dano buys Cooley's blog, then he can have the Cooley-boys PhotoShop some do-dads onto the diminutive lil' Dano. Then, he can (appear) to have some too!

Oh, the wonderous age of money & computers. First Dano makes tv ads with his amusement park full of ONLY white folks (when it's actually, quite the opposite!), now he can have a set of man-size ones too (instead of his lil' marbles). And the Cooley's could make lil' Dano appear less -- shall we just say, unendowed in his lil' cigar area? and actually appear as if he had one he wouldn't need tweasers to find.

Poor lil' Dano.

Posted by: bongaloid | September 17, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm not exactly sure wha happened between CP and mitchell but i got CP's back!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 17, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse