Cooley Explains that Blog Photo

Dan Steinberg gets to the bottom of the Cooley blog posting and this should settle the matter, once and for all.

Steinberg reports:

If you're like Chris Cooley's brother Tanner--the editor of Cooley's blog, on which a revealing photo Chris inadvertently took of himself first appeared -- here's what you might have wondered:

"Dude, why did you take a naked picture of yourself and put it on the blog?"

That's what Tanner asked Chris when they finally got home after last night's game and took a look at the blog. "It was an accident, it was an accident, I didn't mean to," was Chris's response.

For more on the story, visit the D.C. Sportsbog. And, by the way, I'll be chatting at 2:30.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 15, 2008; 10:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Morning H-Back
Next: Campbell Perfect in the Shotgun

Comments

No pantolones.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

No calzones

Posted by: joeblazin | September 15, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Haven't we learned the lesson yet about player nicknames?

Cindy, tell Steinberg to ask Smoot about Horton's nickname. Whatever nickname falls from the sky will beat anything we dream up.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Mi pantelones es tu pantelones

Posted by: Amigo Bonito | September 15, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeblazin | September 15, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

(This is a Cooley junk-free post.)

Devin Thomas returns kick-offs, not punts. Maybe Horton can return punts.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Tea Bags anyone??

Posted by: Devo | September 15, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Do not care about Cooley's junk, he just better keep catching passes.

Posted by: Flounder | September 15, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas returns kick-offs, not punts. Maybe Horton can return punts.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:06 AM

I think Danny Smith needs to retool things a bit. Other than Kickoff/return his units looked awefull. Cerrato should call one of Beamers assistants.

Posted by: Devo | September 15, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but why not use Rock Cartwright as a Punt Returner? He would at least get us 5 - 10 yards unlike the negative yardage Randle El gets us. The only names I keep hearing are Thrash and Moss. Moss should not be considered at all with him being our #1 WR. Give Rock a chance back there.

Let me know why I'm wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 10:57 AM

Rock is critical on the return unit as a return blocker and/or punt blocker.

Plus, especially with how ARE always seems to have 3 opposing players in his face within milliseconds of catching the ball, punt returners are generally more nimble and agile than power-based. I'd give the nod to Devin Thomas. Aside from his documented success in college as a punt returner, getting him the ball in any scenario would help him adjust to the speed of NFL defenders, hopefully speeding up his transition into an NFL receiver.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to do a brain dump before reading everything posted up here, but I want to before it would get colored by the kool-aid or haterade inevitably spilled.

I'm still a little sick today. I went to the game. Hottest. Sporting. Event. I. Ever. Attended. [More than MLB double headers, more than even my HIGH SCHOOL double day football practices.] It was HOT with no hope of rain. On the field, it was 98 ... that was before the "heat index."

Part of my feels like it was an uglier came to watch than the last week's loss against the Giants (putting aside the 1st quarter prison rape). It was a nail biter and we were down for what felt like most of the game.

The other part of me has a hard time remembering when the Skins scored 29 points in a game. And with the four FG attempts (one missed), that means they left 19 points on the field. 48 possible points?!!?! The Gibbs/Saunders experience never even SNIFFED that.

The hat tip goes to Jason Campbell and Jim Zorn meeting each other half way ... and Zorn hugging it out with Portis. THIS was what happens when you call plays that allow your players to make big plays ... and they MAKE them.

There are results, then there are game changing "big plays" by individuals.

Offensive play of the game. 4th quarter. Second and 22 on the Skins own 6. Pass to Cooley for first down. That was play of the game for Zorn and Campbell, as well as the O-line (also, Cooley caught it). I'm not sure whether I counted right, but it seemed like there were 5 receivers downfield. Everyone of them ran straight for the first down line. I was in the side endzone and it looked wierd. Davis was right next to Cooley. Complete gut punch to the Saints momentum-wise.

Defensive play of the game. The one that ended with Horton's FIRST pick. [I loved that the guy with the fewest games started and the guy with most games started -- it was London b/c Taylor was off the field on that play -- were right there to catch the tipped ball. Beautiful symmetry.] The PLAY though belonged to RockyMac for not only covering Shockey like glue, but tipping the ball out of Shockey's hands (he had both on the ball) AND then rolling on top of him to keep him out of the pick coverage. Nothing like a TURNOVER to make me think "continuity schontinuity, this is a NEW Skins defense." Picks AND sacks in the SAME game?!!??! More than one in EACH category?!?! Great play as a unit.

Low point. Brooks "Frosting" the shank to Bush for the TD. [Not to worry, it was the right roster move, Frost had a snap pass between his hands for a safety.] The reason that went wrong ... other than the shanking part ... was that Horton got taken out of his lane. Horton was one the field for every defensive and special teams snap. Not sure what was wrong with Doughty, but I love what was right with Horton.

I said it before, I said it again ... I don't care HOW much ARE is getting paid to return punts, he hasn't been doing it. The fumble added insult to debit. Top special teams need is PR.

OK, now I'll go back and read what you guys have been talking about ...

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

psp, is that true, about Thomas returning punts in college? I was unaware that he did that. Did Thomas return any punts in preseason??

Posted by: Greg | September 15, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Cooley is the man, funny stuff....modern day Riggo! Keep it up (hehe) Cooley!

I mean was the pic any more revealing than the hot pants!

Let your freak flag fly bro!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Why God? Why couldn't he have accidentally posted a naked photo of his wife?

Posted by: Mike H. | September 15, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Elfin to da Post | September 15, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

sween,

That really was awful yesterday. I was gutting it out but finally had to give in to the adult beverages and when I went up the steps the tunnels were full of people trying to get shade a breeze. We finally got some shade about halfway through the third quarter but I can't imagine what the upper decks were like.

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts on JC...
JC looks to be an above-average QB. When given time in the pocket, he picks teams apart. When pressured, he doesn't look sharp at all.
Posted by: Matt | September 15, 2008 9:04 AM

Don't most QBs look good when they have time in the pocket and are able to pick teams apart? And when they are pressured get look a little less than sharp? Great observation

Posted by: wstclair | September 15, 2008 10:52 AM

Actually, no. Tavaris Jackson, Rex Grossman, Alex Smith. These are just a few guys that cannot make plays in the NFL regardless of protection and scheme. Conversely, guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning make teams pay when they opt to blitz.

Posted by: Matt | September 15, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Mike H.

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 15, 2008 11:13 AM

Nevermind, just checked his college stats. He was a kick returner, not a punt returner. He had 7 punt returns for 18 yards last year. Definitely not eye-popping. Still, can't be much worse than what ARE has given us. Plus I stand by my stance of giving him the ball on returns helping him get used to the speed of NFL defenders.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 11:11 AM

PSP,

Did you watch any Redskin games in the past, I seem to remember a big non nimble punt returner named B-Mitch who played for the Skins I think, who might get in the hall of fame as a punt returner, so your argument is way off base.

ARE had a couple of punts yesterday were he had room to go he chose to play around, he also fumbled.

Posted by: Flounder | September 15, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

That should have read, "Mike H. hilarious."

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

If the Redskins wanted a WR who could field punts, they should have drafted Jordy Nelson (punt receiver) instead of Devin Thomas (kick-off receiver). And Jordy had a TD reception yesterday for Green Bay, just for grins.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts on JC...
Posted by: Matt | September 15, 2008 9:04 AM

I don't see how you can say that following yesterday's performance. Campbell made several BIG plays under duress. The bomb to Moss and the 23-yarder to Cooley both required some nifty moves to get away from pressure. There were others as well. He looked like a playmaker yesterday, plain and simple.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

who didnt have a TD for Green Bay....jeesh!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Rock should return punts. He'll get what's there and break maybe one or two. ARE hasn't been effective and we need him at WR so it's not worth the injury risk.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 15, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

My takes:

1. What was up with the announcers saying they were going to "try something different" with one guy taking a "saints perspective" and one guy taking a "Redskins point of view'? Didn't notice anything different than the usual blather. I like Dick Stockton though.
2. Loved Suishams kickoffs, but still not sold on his ability to hit from outside 40 yds; never have been, and he still needs to prove me wrong.
3. Portis is the man. On his 1st touchdown I thought he was going to be caught in the backfield, but he made a quick cut and followed Sellars to the endzone. Many backs would have been tackeld for a loss.
4. I think James Thrash should be our punt returner. The guy is COMPLETELY dependable, and does tend to break off a big one now and then. Even if he won't get you the 80 yard TD, his avg would be better then ARE's.
5. Happy with the run game, but if anyone watches film, they know we run left; we gotta start forcing it right a little more often to keep the defenses honest. At least our "improved" passing game should help in this respect as well, so the D's won't be able to keep 8-9 guys in the box all the time.
6. Loved JC's improvement from last week, but don't crown him just yet. It was just the Saints. Hopefully this win will be all he needs from a confidence level to get to the next tier. We'll see on Sunday.
7. Not a big fan of the all white uni's.....hope they go back to the red pants, or better yet, try out the old gold pants.
8. Horton looks like a beast. Great game, I would like to see him in there more than Doughty.
9. Moss and ARE look healthy and dangerous again.
10. Looks like defenses really focus on Cooley when we get in the red zone. There has got to be a way to either beat this, or take advantage (Thomas or Kelly to the fade?).
11. Can't remember hearing Carlos Rogers' name at all. Does this mean he had an awesome game?
12. Loved Zorns playcalling, especially going for it on 4th and 2. KILLER INSTINCT!!!!
13. Chargers got completely hosed. I have seen more than a few "asterisk" games, but that one takes the cake. The bad call literally cost them the game (2 bad calls, actually). So much for replay review.
14. The Seahwks lost at home. 12th man can suck it!
15. Patriots can still win their division, maybe more. How many times have we seen good team go to the SB with a QB who merely "manages the game"?
16. Cards look pretty tough. You can see Grimm and Wisenhunt are putting some serious toughness into this team. IMO they are better than the Saints, so the Skins must not underestimate this team.
17. Hail Victory!
18. Tonight's game is going to be good. Go Eagles!
19. No wait, go Cowboys!
20. No wait, go Eagles!
21. F both of 'em.

Posted by: dlhaze | September 15, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

who didnt have a TD for Green Bay....jeesh!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 11:20 AM

Brett Favre

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I like how JC moved up in the pocket to make a handful of his throws. I am thinking of the bomb, cooley on 2/22 and one over the middle to Moss...

They had enough pressure to make him move, he didnt have all day, but he floated enough to buy time.

Also I love our RBS in blitz pick-up.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

If anyone here thinks Randel El is at fault for the punt return woes you are an idiot. Even Devin Hester can't escape 4 converage men in his face from the onset.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts on JC...
Posted by: Matt | September 15, 2008 9:04 AM

That's just a foolish comment after yesterday. Campbell made several BIG plays under duress. The bomb to Moss, for one. Also big first downs to Cooley and Randle El. He was a playmaker yesterday and didn't let the pressure phase him a bit.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 15, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

JC looked great yesterday. I loved watching it! My statement was made actually as a defense of JC (not that he needed after yesterday). Some people were still doubting him earlier this morning claiming that was only one game. I was making the argument that with a proper cast surrounding him, O-Line & receivers not dropping passes, he can run this offense effectively.

Posted by: Matt | September 15, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

PSP,

Posted by: Flounder | September 15, 2008 11:17 AM

That's why I said "generally" when referring to returners. Look around the league, I'd say close to 90% of the punt returners are closer to my description.

And as you said, BMitch may very well go to the HOF. I like Rock, but they're not on the same level. I don't subscribe to the Todd Collins to Kurt Warner comparisons, the Colt Brennan to Tom Brady comparisons, and you'll find it hard pressed to see me make Rock to BMitch comparisons (even though Rock is a better all-around player). BMitch is the exception, not the rule.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Don't underestimate the Unis. I'm serious. White reflects heat. Dark absorbs heat.

The skins white on white outfits might not have been as bad-a$$ looking, but it had a positive effect on the game.

Oh, on the Earth too. as the ice caps melt, less sunlight is reflected back into space from ice and snow and absorbed by oceans, and the more Global warming accelerates.

Posted by: Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep | September 15, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

2. Zorn's decisionmaking on going for FGs in first half was "safe" but FGs do not win games. Shades of Gibbs. What would Belichek do?
3. I have never understood having the punter hold for kicks, except that it makes practice easier. Let ARE hold, better hands plus it opens up the fake FG.
4. Our punt returns suck.

Posted by: AAA

agreed AAA. We won a shoot-out, when it shouldn't have been that close.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 15, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

...and you'll find it hard pressed to see me make Rock to BMitch comparisons

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 11:24 AM

...Especially if Rock doesn't return punts.

Punt returns are completely different from kickoffs, but Rock can't be any worse than ARE. I'm all for Thrash returning punts as well, at least he falls forward. No Devin Thomas. He looks terrified returning kickoffs and I don't think he'd stand a chance on punts.

Posted by: etrod | September 15, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"agreed AAA. We won a shoot-out, when it shouldn't have been that close.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 15, 2008 11:26 AM"

This from a guy who didn't watch the game.

Posted by: anon | September 15, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

let Colt hold on FG attempts
Tryon should return punts
JC improved, due to the O-line looking better,(not great) better.
quit trying to run up the middle, no room with weak O-line.
when's the last time a screen to CP was thrown?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 11:24 AM

PSPS,

You could be right but why not give it a shot, if as you say the punt returner has people in his face all the time maybe Rock could break some tackles, and make some people miss. It can not get anyworse no matter who you put back there. ARE has great hands but he still fumbled yeaterday on what was not a big hit.

Posted by: Flounder | September 15, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Kickoffs are pretty much about getting from 0-60 quickly and being fearless.

Punts-Make the first guy miss then get up field.

As said above the two aren't the same skill set.

Posted by: Da Truef | September 15, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"quit trying to run up the middle, no room with weak O-line."

Call me crazy but weren't both TD up the middle?

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

And you guys think you take football seriously:

Witchcraft rumor sparks riot at Congo soccer game
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — A U.N.-funded radio station in Congo says 13 people are dead in a soccer riot sparked over allegations a player was using witchcraft during a friendly local match.
Radio Okapi reported that most of the victims were between the ages of 11 and 16. They were suffocated during

Posted by: Cindy | September 15, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep | September 15, 2008 11:26 AM

Yes, and it sure does make one wonder how the poles froze over in the first place. Maybe a giant snowball arrived from outer space?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

RECEIVING NOTES FROM ALL OVER

Former Redskin, Billy McMullan caught three balls for Seattle

Former Redskin, Brandon Lloyd caught five passes for Chicago.

Rookie Eddie Royal caught the winning pass and two point conversion for Denver.

The three Redskin 2nd round draft picks DOUBLED their output from last week, combining for two catches for 12 yards.

Posted by: Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep | September 15, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game with my Pops. Hot doesn't describe it. I am sun burnt like hell.

My Dad was about to keel over so we left early and were home in time for the 4th quarter heroics.

Luckily no one got cut with my colon shank, I was too drained to swing it.

Posted by: Prison Balls | September 15, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep | September 15, 2008 11:26 AM

Then why has the earth actually cooled since 1998?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

quit trying to run up the middle, no room with weak O-line."

Call me crazy but weren't both TD up the middle?

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 11:31 AM

CL,

Agree you can run up the middle when the hole is there my only problem is I which CP would bounce the ball to the outside when the middle is clogged, instead of just running into the back of the lineman.

Posted by: Flounder | September 15, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

agreed AAA. We won a shoot-out, when it shouldn't have been that close.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 15, 2008 11:26 AM"

This from a guy who didn't watch the game.

Posted by: anon

Wrong again! I missed the second half, while on the beach with my kids, remember Pizza boy?

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 15, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"Campbell made one great throw. He missed or was late on plenty others, as noted by Billick. BTW, I thought BB was a great addition."

Which one was that? His 2nd & 22 bullet to Cooley from his own 8 yard line? His 4th and 2 pass to Moss to seal the deal? His strikes to Moss and ARE in stride on short slants to allow them to make plays after the catch? Or just his 60+ yard bomb Moss in stride to take the lead?

"So far I dont' really have an issue saying that JC, at this point, is a worse-than-average QB based solely on past perfomance. I think he had 132 yards at the half."

So he's a worse-than-average QB because he was on pace for a 264 yard game come halftime, again with zero turnovers and greater than 60% completion percentage? Or is he a worse-than-average QB because he had a better QB rating in his first season as a starter than super bowl MVP Eli Manning had in that same year (which happened to be his 4th year as a starter)? I'm confused, which one is it?

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Oh well, "the reporter" will have to hold all of his ranting against the front office for an entire week. Will he be able to do it?

Posted by: Please quit | September 15, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I got no issue with Portis yesterday... i think he may be the best back in the league at running in traffic. His ability to read and react to blocks is special, in my opinion and manifests itself when he runs 10 yards in from the endzone.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Why God? Why couldn't he have accidentally posted a naked photo of his wife?

Posted by: Mike H. | September 15, 2008 11:13 AM

LOVE Cooley as a player. Funny character. But PUH-lease..
"accidentally?"

Cooley is a brilliant self-promoter and his "alibi" is just a little too pat.

To paraphrase a line from the movie "Jaws," This was no Photo accident."

Posted by: Karl Rove | September 15, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

'Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep'

Why are you bringing up ex-Redskins then?

The team won, and you still piss and moan about the receivers.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

One big difference in the 2 TD's. The first used Sellars as a lead blocker and the 2nd was zone blocked. CP does well with both of those types. They need to scrap the up the middle plays that require CP to run into Randy Thomas and fall down, which they've run about 8 times this season by my count.

Posted by: etrod | September 15, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 15, 2008 11:30 AM

The only reason I would say no is because Rock is a key part of the unit that goes for the punt block as well as being a key blocker on the return itself. If he could be adequately replaced, then put him back as the returner. If not, I have no problem sticking a guy like Thomas back there. I don't want ARE back there in any situation anymore.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

psps,

Good post on JC some people will always hate, not much you can do except post the facts and prove what dummys they are.

CL,

Do not get me wrong I thought CP was a beast yesterday, just wish he would bounce one to the outside and see what he can do.

Posted by: Flounder | September 15, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

How often was Kelly in the game? I saw him on two plays. One the first firstdown of the game. The second he got wide open but the pass was batted down by the d line.

This kid needs more PT.

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Please quit | September 15, 2008 11:37 AM

Check his Monday Morning H-Back post. I guess his blind hatred for the Skins must mean that post was written by someone else.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

With confidence cracked early, not one of these coaches (including Gibbs II) ever had a single day when his career Redskins record was over .500.

Umm this is not correct. Gibbs 2 won his first game.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze | September 15, 2008 11:21 AM

And what does it take to "prove you wrong"? I think he's already done it.

Suisham's 69% from 40-49 yards and he's 50% beyond 50 yards. The knock on him hasn't been his long FGs but his kickoffs, which he's corrected, and his mid-range. He's 80%, 30-39 yards.

So how good does he have to be? As good as, say, Adam Vinatieri? Vinatieri is 83%, 30-39 yards, and he's 71% 40-49 yards, and 42% beyond 50.

The 'Skins have personnel problems, but Suisham's not one of them. Suisham's not putting up Pro Bowl numbers, but he's getting the job done.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

couldn't watch the game

lol @ everyone pumped now

are we now Superbowl contenders?

Posted by: The Truth | September 15, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

ewe

Posted by: not good | September 15, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Horton was unreal. Always around the ball. Right place, right time."

Has anyone even mentioned that they didn't draft this kid WITH A TOP TEN PICK???

You just don't draft safties with those high picks, Horton is proof you can take one later in the draft and still have a good player. Maybe Cerrato will get the hint next time the Skins' have a high pick with a stud DL/OL looking right at them when they are considering a saftey.

Good job Skins', now you have to string a few of these together or this game means bunk.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 15, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

+++Then why has the earth actually cooled since 1998?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:33 AM+++

Sorry, Sarah, nice try...

Average temperatures have climbed 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.8 degree Celsius) around the world since 1880, much of this in recent decades, according to NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

• The rate of warming is increasing. The 20th century's last two decades were the hottest in 400 years and possibly the warmest for several millennia, according to a number of climate studies. And the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports that 11 of the past 12 years are among the dozen warmest since 1850.

• The Arctic is feeling the effects the most. Average temperatures in Alaska, western Canada, and eastern Russia have risen at twice the global average, according to the multinational Arctic Climate Impact Assessment report compiled between 2000 and 2004.

• Arctic ice is rapidly disappearing, and the region may have its first completely ice-free summer by 2040 or earlier. Polar bears and indigenous cultures are already suffering from the sea-ice loss.

• Glaciers and mountain snows are rapidly melting—for example, Montana's Glacier National Park now has only 27 glaciers, versus 150 in 1910. In the Northern Hemisphere, thaws also come a week earlier in spring and freezes begin a week later.

• Coral reefs, which are highly sensitive to small changes in water temperature, suffered the worst bleaching—or die-off in response to stress—ever recorded in 1998, with some areas seeing bleach rates of 70 percent. Experts expect these sorts of events to increase in frequency and intensity in the next 50 years as sea temperatures rise.

• An upsurge in the amount of extreme weather events, such as wildfires, heat waves, and strong tropical storms, is also attributed in part to climate change by some experts.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 15, 2008 11:52 AM

Let's not making room for him beside Ronnie Lott in Canton just yet.

Posted by: It's one game. | September 15, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Why God? Why couldn't he have accidentally posted a naked photo of his wife?

Posted by: Mike H.
+++
He posted some very very near naked photos 2 days before the wedding check his archive.

Posted by: 35332 | September 15, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Ray so Sean Taylor and Laron werent good picks....puhleeze...

Laron is the glue that holds this D together. Dude was everywhere yesterday.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

OK, I apologize ... I see most of my brain dump had already been well covered ... except the part about the MASSIVE number of points scored ... by the Skins OFFENSE ... (including points left on the field).

Skinz, I warned the guy next to me that I was going to be passing out due the heat (I knew it was coming ... my field of vision narrowed ... my hearing started to fade), just so that he wouldn't be alarmed when I slumped forward (after which it would pass, it always does). He bolted to get me water and ice ... and missed the Portis TD. I felt horrible about it for him, but was extremely grateful.

Scanning over the other posts, there was a great suggestion that I agree with ... have ARE hold for place kicks. Just b/c Frost used to do it doesn't mean that Brooks needs to. He's got enough on his plate mentally right now ... and ARE needs a new assignment (other than PR) ... and ARE has a pretty good arm for deception play needs.

Two other details peeps missed. (1) Landry should have gotten an unsportsmanslike for a false "its OK" slap to the back of a receiver's helmet after he deflected a pass. It was way to hard of a slap, spiteful really. Landry, as the keeper of the mayhem, needs to be able to harness and control its force and (2) in a locker room interview after the game, Horton made a point when asked about having to cover Reggie Bush ... "I played against him a lot in college." I love that. Also, I have an intuition that Horton came to the Skins by a personal recommendation from DeWayne Walker, who also knew/coached up Sean Taylor.

I think that's it for anything close to analysis. I'm ready to move on to pick apart the Cardinals. Its not just Fitz and Boldin, the Edge needs to be respected. And Warner is no quitter under duress.

** For my lack of faith this week, Suisham gave me nine points in my FF squad (in the first, and potentially some ways superior, RI FF competition) ... from the bench.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sean Connery | September 15, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Weren't nothing special about the dogs...heck the ole ball coach held em to 14 points...if we don't fumble that ball, we'd have taken em.....should drop them out of the top 10 way I see it..

Posted by: Steve Spurrier | September 15, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Anon - not to nit pick, but none of those stats indicate that the climate hasn't dropped since 1998.

f polar bears.

Posted by: etrod | September 15, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

RECEIVING NOTES FROM ALL OVER

Former Redskin, Billy McMullan caught three balls for Seattle

Former Redskin, Brandon Lloyd caught five passes for Chicago.

Posted by: Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep | September 15, 2008 11:33 AM

The point you missed, Cork, is that Seattle lost and Chicago lost, playing receivers who couldn't make the Redskins roster. Meanwhile, the Redskins won and didn't have to rely on their fourth and fifth wide receivers. This seems to me like a good outcome.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The Truth, you didn't have the chance to tape the game, watch it later, and come up here after actually watching it?

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

+++JC was very average to me until the 4th quarter. So far I dont' really have an issue saying that JC, at this point, is a worse-than-average QB based solely on past perfomance. I think he had 132 yards at the half. It was good to see him win a game instead of come up short though. Hopefully that is the maturation process. Hey look at LBM and what a difference a little confidence makes.

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 11:27 AM+++

You buried the lede, Skinz...I believe this is the FIRST comeback win for Jason. That's HUGE.

Also HUGE is the fact that the winning TD was on a audible by Campbell, who not only saw the coverage, but was SMART enough to move Betts from the "I" position up closer to the line to pick up the blitzing defender.

Even tho it appears you were attempting to denigrate him, that puppy won't fly. Campbell had a superb game. Managed it early, kept the NO defense on the field as they wore down, made quick decisions, didn't fumble or throw an INT, hit the open receiver, and, importantly, FAKED beautifully.

Posted by: Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep | September 15, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Just askin'

Posted by: Where is sports-guru? | September 15, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 12:00 PM

But still, they did and it paid off, Chesapeake Coast-style.

Moss, 7-164
Cooley, 5-72
Randel El, 4-53
Betts, 2-8
Thrash, 1-8
Kelly, 1-6
Davis, 1-6

Also, Campbell's QB rating for yesterday was 104.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Also, Campbell's QB rating for yesterday was 104.

Posted by: dcsween

good distribution. nothing for Mr. Sleepy-Davis? how'd he look in the 2nd half?

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 15, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

You know who else was a BEAST yesterday--Sellers.

I re-watched the game and focused on him on offense. He had an ALL-PRO game at blocking back. His blocking was beautiful.

Credit to Jason Taylor. I'm still against the trade, but freely acknowledge Taylor will have some really good games.

But the weaknesses remain. NO is NOT a power running team, Stinchcomb is an average tackle at best. Taylor will still be gone in a year and a half, and I'd be surprised if he lasts the season.

Class act, team leader, excellent pass rusher.

Posted by: Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep | September 15, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Good point on Sellers, when that Monster is on his game we run dominately. I loved us getting portis outside of the tackle, crazy idea I know but maybe not running portis gut 15 times a game could be a good thing. Running to Samuels side we dominated them. Is there any funner play to watch in Skins history then those ones where CP26 just grabs on and takes the SELLERS coster to the end zone.

Posted by: Stu | September 15, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru = Mr. Chicken$h!t.

No surprise that he hasn't shown his ugly little self.

Posted by: Red Subaru | September 15, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

And what does it take to "prove you wrong"? I think he's already done it.
Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 11:45 AM
Yeah, I guess I broke one of my own mantras there, saying he "needs" to prove me wrong. Sounds like I think I'm something special or something. I guess I hope he proves me wrong. His stats are okay and the numbers don't lie, but I just still get the willies every time he lines up for a kick. For me, it's more of a releif when he makes one than an expectation. When we had guys like Lohmiller or Mosely, or like teams today have like Akers, Vinatierri, Josh Brown, the new guy on the Pats......you just knew they were going to make it, and when they missed, even from 50, you were just surprised.

Looks like you have a good source for his numbers there TE. What site are you using? I am curious to see if you can pull Suishams numbers on 46 yards and greater (my hunch being he is good from 40-49 b/c most are under 45 yards)?

Posted by: dlhaze | September 15, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Cork, I agree on Sellers still prob my fave Skin. Those who haven't had the chance to see him in person probably can't appreciate what a physical freak he is. He looks like a Running Back but is the size of most D-Lineman.

As for being negative on JC well the facts be the facts, his winning % is below .500 on a team over that period with a winning record. His QB rating (not that it's the be all end all) is below average.

I support JC and the idea that TC or Colt should be in the game is ludicrous but it doesn't change the fact that he is what he is at this point. Like i said, maybe this is the seminole moment and it's all uphill from here. I certainly hope so...

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

+++1. Campbell made one great throw. He missed or was late on plenty others, as noted by Billick. BTW, I thought BB was a great addition.---AAA+++

Nonsense. He was late on a few throws, true, but made several "great" throws, not the least of which was the shot to Cooley to get a first down and the Redskins out of the shadow of their own Goalposts.

No ints, no fumbles, great audible, terrific faking, very good decision making, won game in the late going.

Take a week off, Campbell critics. He'll have his off weeks. I'm not convinced he's the absolute answer, either. But he had a helluva game, yesterday, made great strides, and deserves credit.

Posted by: Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep | September 15, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Should read:

As for being negative on JC well the facts be the facts, his winning % is below .500 on a team that over the same period is well above .500 without him in.

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff yesterday, folks! I reveled in the victory even more because I have Moss and Portis on my fantasy team and I rolled to victory with their exploits and thanks to the big day Anquan Boldin had. How's that for beginner's luck; 130 fantasy points!

I didn't get to catch up on all the posts from before, but I'd like to see that jackass "Sports Guru" try and spin JC's performance into something bad. Dude looked confident, decisive, and finally stepped up in the pocket and made plays. The TD to Moss was pure gold. If he plays like that 8-10 times a year he's a Pro-Bowler.

Good to see the Skins getting production from those late round picks. Horton made plays all day, and should easily win Defensive Rookie of the Week. Bad time to get sick, Doughty; you may not be a starter when you get back.

Good win against a quality opponent at home. They need to defend the home field against AZ next week to stay in good shape. I think most had them losing the Giants game anyway, and a 2-1 record going into the rest of the road division games next month is critical. HTTR!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

missed 30 yarder was on Brooks screwing up the hold. The miss counts against Swiss-ham stats, but if you watched game, only miss from 49 is on him for pulling it

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

+++'Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep'

Why are you bringing up ex-Redskins then?

The team won, and you still piss and moan about the receivers.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:39 AM+++

Excuse me? WHO pointed out that the Redskin 2nd round draftees DOUBLED their output from a week ago? C'est Moi, Yellowbelly.

And if you are delighted to see ex-redskins like Lloyd and McMullen go on to happy lives afte their experience here, well you are just a petty human being.

Posted by: Corkczar, Non-Crotchety Blog Peep | September 15, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze,

I took the stats from NFL.com, and no you can't get them for 46+. But you want Akers? He's not as good beyond 40 as Suisham. He's only 66%. Where Akers beats Suisham is 30-39 -- Akers is 90% in that range.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Just askin'

Posted by: Where is sports-guru? | September 15, 2008 12:02 PM

He's eating me.

Posted by: Crow | September 15, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

We almost lost this game because of me.

Posted by: Liquerd-up punter | September 15, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar

He had a good game, just wish in the first half, he would have finished drives with TD's & not miss WR's or TE's. It was great seeing improvement, but it came against a depleted secondary. JC is still saddled with a below average O-line and only one good WR= Moss, and two below avg. Tough sledding with that, as CP pointed out, but he should have kept his mouth closed in public.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 15, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Should read:

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 12:15 PM

Really?

In the years that JC has started, his record is 9-13.

When he didn't start, the team is 6-7 (including playoffs).

Neither are above .500. Let the facts be the facts.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I cant respect Sports Guru, I think he should be banned from the blog. not because he is a loser but because he wont show his face today. I respect everyone up here because they state their opinion and no matter how bad they get bashed they keep coming back, but Sports Guru is a coward.

Maybe it is Sports Guru with the lack of intellect and not JC

Posted by: Great One | September 15, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

It's all over the web. I found it (unblocked) at the Player's Field web site.

I see Little Chris (unlike Big Chris) is camera shy.

Posted by: Chris Cooley's Rooster | September 15, 2008 12:32 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 15, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

LOVE Cooley as a player. Funny character. But PUH-lease..
"accidentally?"

Cooley is a brilliant self-promoter and his "alibi" is just a little too pat.

To paraphrase a line from the movie "Jaws," This was no Photo accident."

Posted by: Karl Rove | September 15, 2008 11:38 AM

Agreed. This was no "accident."

Posted by: What? Who? | September 15, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

With lil' Dano buying up all the local media sports' forums, Cooley should hold out for very big dollars from the midget owner/GM.

Once Dano buys Cooley's blog, then he can have the Cooley-boys PhotoShop some do-dads onto the diminutive lil' Dano. Then, he can (appear) to have some too!

Oh, the wonderous age of money & computers. First Dano makes tv ads with his amusement park full of ONLY white folks (when it's actually, quite the opposite!), now he can have a set of man-size ones too (instead of his lil' marbles.

Posted by: bongaloid | September 17, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse