Cooley goes back to camp

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley worked up a sweat on Saturday morning running routes, a couple slants and a few hitches and saw only one pass thrown his way hit the ground -- it was thrown way behind him.

It wasn't another day at organized team activites at Redskins Park. It was Cooley's own football camp at Fairfax High School, where more than 300 kids ages 7 to 14 gathered for the first of two days of instruction from area high school coaches and the Redskins' Pro Bowl tight end.

"I think it's just a great opportunity for me to spend some time with local kids and their parents and put on something like this," Cooley said. "This community and this whole area has been so amazing to me as a person and as a football player in the seven years that I've been here so when I get a chance to do something like this and hang out with the kids and the families I really look forward to it."

Cooley ran between groups of kids helping them through drills, running routes for some and instructing others on the basic football skills.

Asked whether he was adopting the coaching personality of new Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan, Cooley laughed.

"My coaching personality is a little less business-like than Coach Shanahan, I try to incorporate fun," Cooley said, chuckling. "Although I know that the fun is in winning, so, Mike, you're doing a great job."

More than 100 campers were on scholarship from the Greater Washington Urban League, and Cooley also spent much of the day with Roman Zeigler, a 10-year-old suffering from Hodgkin's disease, who was there with the Children's Wish Foundation.

There were also 17 campers on scholarship thanks to the family of lifetime Redskins fan Philip Post II, who passed away in a car accident last June. Post's parents, Philip and Paula Post,| covered the $200 fees for those athletes through a fund set established in Philip II's name. "Just amazing people," Cooley said. "That was just such a generous thing, such an amazing thing that they did giving the scholarships. I'm really honored by that."

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 5, 2010; 2:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kicker Graham Gano looking to secure his spot
Next: Offense tries to match defense's progress

Comments

Yay a new thread. I believe Cooley will have a great season. I'm looking forward to seeing a few two tight end sets. Firstly.

Posted by: wireman65 | June 5, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

wireman-

I agree. McNabb has turned some pretty average TEs (Smith, Celek) into above average players. He's never had TWO TEs with the talent and ability of CC & FD.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 5, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

haven't heard much about the ankle in a while... sounds like he's in good shape and ready to go.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 5, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Chris: That's Mr. Shanahan to you.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 5, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Since it's a little slow today I just want to say "Go Skins".
Good stuff on the WaPo broad cast yesterday, Ivan is the best thing we've had in a long time. I like the Redskins coverage again. It’s starting to be fun again.
Seriously, Good Job.

All Hail!

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | June 5, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Cools looked chipper and of the Good Spirit ( jeeziz, remember the Good Spirit??) on NFL Network, battin' it around wth Ol' Miss Whats-Her_Name...Barring injury, expect an All-Pro Year from Our Favorite Offensive Honky..

Posted by: frak | June 5, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

As good as cooley's pro career has been--this is one dude who will undoubtedly have a post-football career every bit as successful, if not more.

He was on NFl Total Access friday and comes across perfectly for a Media entity. He may be the most likable self-promoter in the NFL these days.

And he plays the Post like Yo Yo Ma plays the Cello.

Posted by: TheCork | June 5, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Cooley!

I won't say that a professional athlete being a real role model is rare, but clearly Mr. Cooley is the real deal in that department!

(Extra kudos, too, to the Post family! Phillip II must be smiling down from heaven!)

Posted by: chipshot410 | June 5, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

All Hail!

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | June 5, 2010 3:48 PM

It does feel good to feel good again.
All I can add to that is F dallas.

Posted by: wireman65 | June 5, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65
I see alot of two te pro sets this season resulting in: davis/cooley catching alot of 5-15 yrd passes, quite a few delays, and alot of play action. Average yards on first down will be close to 5.

It is going to be a tough job playing outside linebacker against the 'skins this year. They have to cover great te's and very capable rb's while also stopping the run vs. shanny's one-cut zone scheme.

BOOK IT!

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 5, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

...it's the D that worries me!

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 5, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

it's the D that worries me!
Posted by: monkeymayonaise

if this O scores 24+ points a game, you'll be amazed how much better this D will be.

not for nothin', bro, but what's up with the nick?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | June 5, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

to sum up today...

for those annoyed with J-pop and eurotrash, I'm also a big fan of original country, bluegrass, and old-time string music.

don't tempt me.

HTTR!

g'night.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 5, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suliman215 | June 5, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

You are kidding right? Receivers either have the ability to get open and catch the ball or they don't. If you cant get open you don't get the ball unless Peyton is your QB. To say that Celek and Smith are not as talented as Cooley and Davis and that they only played well because of McNabb is comical and homerism at its best.

One could also say that Westbrook elevated McNabbs game from average to above average. Look at the record of the Eagles without Westbook vs without McNabb.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 5, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"To say that Celek and Smith are not as talented as Cooley and Davis and that they only played well because of McNabb is comical and homerism at its best."

srobert11111171717717-

I'll write it again. CC and FD are more talented than Celek and Smith and they didn't have a 6x pro bowler to play pitch and catch with and a professional coaching staff, FO, and gameplan.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 5, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Round to D44, 10-9.

Are they playing any more basketball? I seem to recall an event of some significance last Thursday night.

Let's wait three days and play at the exact same time as the Stanley Cup game.

The NBA Bloooooooooooooooows.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 5, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, Brent Celek is more productive than talented, and a lot of that has to go to McNabb and to the way the Eagles used him last season. That's not to say he won't be as successful this year; the Iggles still don't have anybody else to throw to down around the end zone. The tip-off is that Philly keeps drafting other TEs, like Ingram for speed in the 5th last year, and Harbor this season in the 4th.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 5, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I know people hope for 2 TE sets and Shanahan will figure out something. But the issue is that neither guy is much of a blocker. A big key to a 2 TE sets is to have TEs that block. If Shanahan can get good value, I suspect one TE will be gone before the season starts.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 5, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Zeke-

That's been debated up here for awhile without great success. What in your opinion is good value considering neither TE would net a 2nd?

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 5, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I think Davis probably does get you a 2nd. He was very good taking over for Cooley. Still, it may be a player trade that makes most sense.

I've always thought that Gaither, the Ravens LT was worth a good long look. We're still in trouble on the OL and the Ravens have plenty of room to upgrade at TE -- Todd Heap isn't a world beater talent. The Ravens have some pretty nice weapons (Boldin, Rice, etc). Another major threat might get them deep into the playoffs.

I don't know if that is the right deal for us, but its that sort of deal I'd look at.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 6, 2010 1:55 AM | Report abuse

I am thinking that we won't see too much of Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time. Sure, we will see two tight end sets, but I think most of the time we will see Cooley or Davis and one blocking tight end. Shanahan seemed interested in bringing in a few physical blocking tight ends and I don't think he was bringing them in to have them only play on special teams. If it is a running down, we might not even see either one in there as there are better blocking tight ends on the roster. I wouldn't rule out what will essentially be a three tight end set with either Cooley or Davis lined up wide with two bigger tight ends book-ending the tackles. In this scenario it might make sense to put the faster Davis out wide. One thing is for sure: Shanahan will use his personnel in all kinds of different ways to confuse the defense and having two quality pass catching tight ends is just more ammo for the offense. I am looking for some great things.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 6, 2010 4:48 AM | Report abuse

"...the Ravens have plenty of room to upgrade at TE -- Todd Heap isn't a world beater talent...Posted by: zcezcest1"

Didn't Baltimore just take TEs Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta in the 3rd and 4th rounds? That'd sure reduce motivation for acquiring one of ours.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

g'morning everyone.

not usually a fan of the sports crew at Yahoo, but Doug Farrar's "Under Surveillance" series has been pretty decent.

yesterday he posted about Jacksonville's problematic switch to a 3-4 defense, and why they've gone back to a 4-3 scheme:

he also has a link to an earlier post about the struggles in KC to get the 3-4 working.

every team is different, and I realize Haslett has talked about a hybrid approach... although I'm nervous about his ability to pull it off, especially with the personnel we have.

more concerned about that, than having two good TEs.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

more concerned about that, than having two good TEs.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 9:20 AM
------------------------------------------
Moo, I have to agree with you. It is a concern. I am hoping that with the large number of free agent signings, the conversions, and some continuity in the secondary, the team will be able to quickly adjust to the 3-4. They have signed some players who have been effective in the 3-4 and let's hope that Haynesworth shows up in shape and ready. On paper they don't look so far away, but of course, the real test is when the regular season starts. For Jacksonville, they realized they had picked a lemon too late. Let's hope if things start going South with the 3-4, the team will be able to make adjustments quickly to respond...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 6, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 6, 2010 9:35 AM

exactly. not opposed to the 3-4 or variations on that theme, but as you point out, the key is to be flexible and creative rather than dogmatic. unfortunately, sometimes it's easier for coaches to put the blame on players (even if justified) rather adjust their scheme.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

g'morning everyone.

more concerned about that, than having two good TEs.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse
Good stuff, moo. I think the key is the term "hybrid". If Haslett can mix players with packages, and jump in and out of 3-4/4-3, I think it can work. Key of course is that AH is in top shape. His presence can make or break our D this year.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 6, 2010 9:35 AM

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 9:42 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 6, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"My biggest worry about the 3-4 is stopping the running game. The NFC East is a physical division and if you give teams like New York and Dallas a little running room, they are going to make you pay."

There are some 'old wives' tales here that must be corrected:

a. The 3-4 can stop the run--just ask the ravens, jets, steelers, cowboys, and packers.

b. The NFC East's best teams is essentially a passing team (cowboys).

The 'boys will feature a deep passing corp AND decent backs to keep things honest.

The idea that a team can beat you by handing off to B Jacobs/M Barber 25-30 times every game is a poor one at best.

In fact, the jints, for exmaple, are not a good offensive team now as Eli has to depend on developing receivers, not a dominate running game.

The jints miss Plax more than they do D Ward.

And the iggles, even with McNabb, weren't a running team anyways.

The redskins are the only NFC East team that depends on the run, but has finished at the bottom of the division as a result of not having a solid passing game to match it.

c. And as much as we make out of the NFC East, it's not the premier division in the league anymore as the NFC South and AFC South/East all feature solid teams.

And those teams pass the ball well and play 3-4/4-3 hybrid defenses that create turnovers.

And we are not playing a 'pure' 3-4 or 4-3 defense, btw.

We are embracing the idea that creativity with personnel will allow the defense to get pressures that result in turnovers.

We don't want sacks as much as we want to give our defensive backs the chance to make plays on rushed passes into tight coverage.

The idea is not about the sanctity of the scheme a la Greg Blache, but the utility of personnel based on tendencies and situation.

We got defensive playmakers, and the hybrid look allows them to be put into position to make plays.

It's modern football, y'all.

And it's about time we embraced it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 6, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Jeez Moe -

If you're gonna argue with facts, your gonna take all the fun out of being ill-informed, opinionated and loud on this blog...

Posted by: edvar | June 6, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"When you have been a part of one offense for 11 years and now trying to absorb a new offense and concepts and the mindset these coaches have, it's tough," he said. "It's tough, but I have just been trying to put in that extra time, communicating with these coaches and just make sure once we hit training camp, I have a better grasp and a
better feel of what we like to do here."

Sorry, Donovan. There are people here who think that's just an excuse. Same offense for 11 years? Fugehdaboudit.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 6, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Uh , Moe, the 'boys are essentially a running team that sets up for their scrambling QB ..Cowgirls were 3rd in the league in rushing last year-

You're the black dude in that ad that says, "Don't mow my lawn , son", right?? Can't wait for Queen Latifah to pull the AK out of her "front butt" at the BET Awards and start mowin' em down, heh-heh-heh...

Posted by: frak | June 6, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone ever seen the The Baader Meinhof Complex??? I watched it just because it happened to come on @ 6 n da morning and I was wide awake....but it kept captivated the whole movie and caused me the read about what was going back then in West Germany......And that part of the world for that matter......

But that was a good movie........

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 6, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | June 6, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to start p1funk on another rampage on stats like we saw last week, but your reference above, frak, was for postseason rankings. CGirls actually ranked 7th in regular season, but your point does remain, that they are a strong rushing team. But Moe's point also remains, that a good 3-4, ie Stillers, Ravens, will stop a good rushing team.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Another observation from BP's Toilet Trench- how come Fox South Sports shows the Cincinnati Reds all over the South?? I know they would love to show the Turner-owned Braves, but Cincinnati?? Must be a cover so they can run ops to take over the voter-swing state..Some Fox-affiliated moneybags should try to bring a team to New Orleans and make that team their Southern Flagship..Joe West is a tit..

Posted by: frak | June 6, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I stand defective, fredieprinz..Is it beer-thirty in Johannesburg, yet??

Posted by: frak | June 6, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"Cooley goes back to camp"

?????

Really? Training camp?! I don't see no Haynesworth...

lol sorry I had to say it. We need a new thread and a better topic.. like how's Haynesworth's 1-on-1 training going so far. :)

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 6, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 5, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Just because you post it and say it doesn't mean it is not idiotic. McNabb had not made a Pro Bowl in 4 years until he got DeSean Jackson and Celek. Celek is a very good TE and nearly as good as if not on par with Cooley. Davis and Cooley will do Very well but to say that Celek is chopped liver and was only good because McNabb is idiotic.

Trading a TE will not net a 2nd rd pick as Gonzalez only fetched a 2nd after coming off a pro bowl year. Most franchises value their draft picks too much. Of course their are franchises like the Redskins, raiders and Bears who p!ss them away.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I stand defective, fredieprinz..Is it beer-thirty in Johannesburg, yet??

Posted by: frak | June 6, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

No, but it sure is in OC. 95 in the shade, but with a nice 15 mph breeze. My latest toy is a kegerator with IPA on tap.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

round 2 goes to D44 also, 10-9. You were outpointed, srob, because you changes the argument. Original statement was CC and FD are better than Celek and Smith. So you can't bring DJackson into the argument and expect to win points.

Latest score, 20-18, D44. Round 3 coming up in 3, 2, ..

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Hail! And I don't mean to the Redskins. Wow, awesome.

Sending before power goes out.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 6, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Hail! And I don't mean to the Redskins. Wow, awesome.

Sending before power goes out.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 6, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Tornado watch in all of MD until 8pm. Where are you SMACK?

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 1:31 PM
------------------------------------------
Fredie, point taken but I'd argue a good 4-3 defense can stop a good rushing team as well. The operative word is "good". I am not sure the Redskins will be - especially against the run. The key to a good run defense in a 4-3 is defensive linemen that won't let offensive linemen get off their blocks, linebackers that fly to the ball, and tackling - good old fashioned warp-them-up-and-bring-them-down tackling. Again, I am not sure the Redskins can fill that checklist.

Moe,
Yes, the offenses of today depend more on the pass, but in the NFC East I think that's arguable. The Cowboys run first and pass second. The Giants have Brandon Jacobs - no one can tell me Tom Coughlin would rather throw the football... As for the Eagles, there had to be a reason other than the swing pass for why they lost games when Westbrook wasn't in there. Face it, if a team cannot stop the run in the NFC East, then they can't win.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 6, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Lovely downtown Wheaton, MD. A mariachi band just flew by.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 6, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 6, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree that both schemes can stop the rum, RSH. My point is that Skins can be even more effective if they can play both schemes, and can jump into and out of them to confuse OL. That's what we are referring to as a hybrid.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Redskinhead

"I said it before and I will say it again: the run defense worries me more than the pass defense."

Question: What do all these defenses, the top 5 from last season have in common?

1. New York Jets 252.3
2. Green Bay Packers 284.4
3. Baltimore Ravens 300.5
4. Cincinnati Bengals 301.4
5. Pittsburgh Steelers 305.3

Answer:

They all play some form of a 3-4/4-3 hybrid look.

They also shut down the run, get turnovers, and allow their defensive stars to make plays.

The redskin defense will be fine.

It's the redskin offense that should trouble us all.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 6, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the Skins and Eagles game on NFL network. Kind of crazy how you get to see the Skins former QB and current QB both playing. I'll be watching Mcnabb closely in this one, and try to ignore the Skins offense as much as possible.

On to the Celek/Smith vs. Davis/Cooley debate. The statemenet was made about which DUO was better, and no question that goes to the Skins. After Smith left the Eagles and McNabb, he was never heard from again. To bring D. Jackson into the mix is irrelevant, and to say its because of D. Jack and Celek as the reason McNabb returned to the Pro Bowl is kind of dumb, considering the fact that Celek and D. Jack were just as successful because of McNabb too. Would you say that the only reason Steve Young was successful was because he inherited Jerry Rice? Or Brady because he got Moss? Most QB's will of course be better if you give them decent weapons.

Posted by: ga8085 | June 6, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 5, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

You are kidding right? A receiver could be open all day but never see the ball b/c the QB doesn't read his progressions, misses him, or just flat-out decides not to throw it b/c he's chicken-hearted and would rather go with the safe checkdown for 3 yards.

Seriously, haven't you been watching Jason Campbell all these years??

Cooley is far more proven talented commodity in the NFL than both Smith and Celek. Fred Davis has only had a half season of play under his belt, but so far looks like he could be the best of all 4.

Since you mentioned being a comical homer, I can only assume that you do stand-up in Philly somewhere...only explanation for why you'd be sniffing the Smith-Celek jocks so hard...

Posted by: p1funk | June 6, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to start p1funk on another rampage on stats like we saw last week,

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 1:31 PM

Seriously, I learned my lesson.

It's much more entertaining to rampage with naked unsubstantiated opinions.

Posted by: p1funk | June 6, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

It's the redskin offense that should trouble us all.
Posted by: MistaMoe

The good news is that everything will be so changed up that no one will know what to expect. The bad news is that everything will be so changed around that no one will know what to expect.

The enemy will be using espionage and satellite photos to figure out Shanahan and Haslett..Also, I'd rather see another RT or LT than sign Westbrook..Who cares who you put back there without a solid line (heard that one before??)..

Posted by: frak | June 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, haven't you been watching Jason Campbell all these years??

Posted by: p1funk

Sorry that I am not a home team pickle sniffer like you. I can recognize quality players on other teams. Celek in his 3rd year and first as the starter matched some of Chris' best years. He is every bit on par with Cooley. Celek only tied the 3rd most playoff catches ever at the end of his 2nd year with 19. But keep believing that McNabb is going to make Cooley and Davis superstars. Here comes three years of mediocrity.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 6, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | June 6, 2010 3:29 PM |

I can't believe it but for once I agree with frak. Forget Westbrook. We've got some vet RB's and some young'ns to develop. I'd rather have another quality olineman in case of injuries. Heyer scares me even as a backup.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 6, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

slow day everyone.

Doug Farrar followed up with the next post in his series, this time about our beloved 'skins and how AH might fit into a 3-4 hybrid defense:

let's see what happens come mandatory activities.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"given some flexibility, I think good things could happen with AH in the mix, which is why I've been confused and disappointed regarding his absence.Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo"

I think the problem is that as far as Albert's concerned, the 3-4 flunks his all-important "do I wanna do it?" test.

He thinks it's beneath him. Heck, maybe it is. I'd like to see him get a chance to prove that with some other sucker... I mean, club.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I think the team's interest in Westbrook is a sign they don't see a 3rd down back in the mix yet. And if you think about it, who on the current roster is there to catch passes out of the backfield?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Great thing about baseball you can get in a solid two hour nap and still catch the end of the game. Way to go, O's!

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 6, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the hope was that Ryan Torain would be able to do it. But he has no track record, and we know what Westbrook can do IF he stays healthy.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks also has the experience to come out of the backfield. But he is not threat to run anything other than a sweep to either side. So he might work only in obvious passing situations.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 6, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

regarding third-down backs... seems like pass catching is only part of the equation, since pass blocking on third-and-long is important, too. CP has a history of doing pretty well in that respect. another option would be our vaunted (and as of yet unseen) two TE formation, possibly with Cooley in the H-back role?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Here's some very good material highlighting how Haynesworth WILL be a disruptive force in the 3-4:

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 6, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Here's some very good material highlighting how Haynesworth WILL be a disruptive force in the 3-4 [if and when he decides to suck it up and play in a 3-4/hybrid scheme]

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 6, 2010 6:29 PM

editorial mark-up above should help with context.

otherwise we're on the same wavelength... see my post @ 5:14.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Good call moo...that'll teach me to post before I look.

I still wanna see the guy traded simply because it's never been his ability in question...it's his attitude. And ability doesn't mean anything if the desire isn't there and the spirit isn't willing.

That said, hopefully one of these players and/or coaches can get thru to him and salvage what's on pace to be a bad situation.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 6, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

"Kind of crazy how you get to see the Skins former QB and current QB both playing. I'll be watching Mcnabb closely in this one,...."

The beauty of NFL Replay is that you get to see cut-ups of a specific game all week.

So when you watch Eagles v. Skins, ask yourself these rhetorical questions:

How much gas does Donovan McNbb have in the tank?

Is he worth a 3 or 5 year deal?

Is there a playoff run or two to expect during said time period?

How much more--in terms of personnel--has to be added to the redskin offense to enable McNabb taking the team deep into the playoffs?

Does D McNabb have the ability to elevate the play of the people around him or would he benefit in a game-manager role?

And, to what degree would a solid run game lengthen his career and maximize his effectiveness?

Just some quesions which, come Labor Day weekend, should start to bear some answers.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 6, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

"...regarding third-down backs..."

There is no such thing as a '..third down back..' in the NFL anymore.

That's 1980s football talk.

What you what today is an elite slot receiver or hybrid speed guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 6, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

There is no such thing as a '..third down back..' in the NFL anymore.

That's 1980s football talk.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 6, 2010 7:00 PM

yeah moe, so that was kinda my point... still, I can see the utility of a pass-catching RB type. alternatively, there are ways to accomplish similar things with some of the personnel we already have.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

"There is no such thing as a '..third down back..' in the NFL anymore.That's 1980s football talk.What you what today is an elite slot receiver or hybrid speed guy.Wes Welker, Josh Cribbs, Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, Felix Jones, Steve Slaton, Leon Washington, Percy Harvin, et al. have changed the game as they can be put in multiple spots depending on the situation.
Posted by: MistaMoe"

LOL you mean a quick player who can move the ball effectively on the ground or through a reception.. call him a slot receiver if you want to, but that's a third down back in everything but name.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

About Torain: he's a fine receiver, but with that injury history, what if he's not available?

Who's on the roster who can fill the role of Harvin, Sproles, or Reggie Bush? Looking at Portis, Larry Johnson, and Willie Parker, I'm not seeing one at first glance.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 7:33 PM

as far as I know, we don't have the type of proven role-player you describe, which probably explains the interest in Westbrook. was thinking more along the lines of matching the situational play calling with players we have, where I could see multiple TE sets substituting for the archetypal "third-down back"... but maybe that's a dumb cow idea?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Steve Wyche, "Senior Writer" for NFL.com ranks redskins 25th in the league. This reinforces some of the principle themes we have discussed on RI involving how teams/players are evaluated by pundits:
1 Steve Wyche, like many of those who write about sports, has no clue what he is talking about (the Cowboys at 3, the Pats and the Vikings sink to 11 and 10).
2 There is no possible value to power-ranking systems, especially in early June.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 6, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I friggin' hate baseball!!!

Here's why...

1) It's too slow...spit, scratch, wind up, call time out in the box, manager to the mound...ugh!!!!!

THROW THE FRIGGIN' BALL ALREADY!!!!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | June 6, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 6, 2010 8:39 PM

the value is self-evident... people, monkeys, cows, and other dim-witted creatures click on it and jabber.

incrementally, small amounts of advertising money go to NFL.com or whichever echo chamber posts such things on their web site. referring to it elsewhere only drives up traffic and profit.

having said that, I don't see any harm in opinion pieces such as power rankings. unlike BCS, championships in the NFL are largely decided on the field.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Rondo's neon green sneaks rawk...And you can mow the lawn or track the radioactive alien in them and they blend right in...me want..

Posted by: frak | June 6, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 6, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse
and moocow, respectfully

Reading this renews my position that this entire Haynesworth "issue" is completely manufactured.

By all accounts, he's a smart player and knows full well he'll be moved around and put into a position to succeed. Just because Blache was exceptionally stubborn, maybe a little stupid, and too mentally checked-out to use him properly in a 4-3 doesn't mean Haslett will make the same mistake in a 3-4.

My bet is Hayney is an exceptionally prideful man who threw his lot in with the coaching and training staff in the offseason and regular season, and they failed him in more ways then one. He was publicly humiliated. He's made up his mind to not let that happen again and is stubbornly resolute in this endeavor, to a fault.

He shows up in shape and beasts out once he gets up to speed on the scheme.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | June 6, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

And again, I don't care about his absence. I understand why his teammates and coaches would care a lot. But I'm a fan, what do I care as long as he shows when it's mandatory and plays up to his potential?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | June 6, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

He shows up in shape and beasts out once he gets up to speed on the scheme.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | June 6, 2010 9:40 PM

let's hope so!

the bet still stands... and I'm prepared to take my lumps if needed.

things are gradually coming into focus while the countdown to season opener continues.

cheers romo, time to catch up on the calves.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeap, when Fat Al's in play, the other side KNOWS it, and expresses their respect through double and triple teams..He's gotta be in better shape than last year, though..The golfcart melodramas have gotta cease..

It's a personal thing between me and Latifah..The good Lord touched me and told me to go warn New Orleans about Katrina, which I did, and she mocked me for it..Post-Katrina, what's the rag on NOW, sucka??? stroke that, Hollywood dronebot..

Posted by: frak | June 6, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

"where I could see multiple TE sets substituting for the archetypal "third-down back".posted by moodlymoodlymoo

Not dumb at all but I'm trying to think of a team that does it successfully... do you have an example?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Celtics on being one of the first teams to overcome a fixed NBA game. Didn't think it was possible to win 5 vs. 8.

NBA is a joke.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 6, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

NBA is a joke.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 6, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Breaking Bad, best show on TV by far. F the finals. And F the NBA.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | June 6, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fat_willie | June 7, 2010 6:02 AM | Report abuse

"If Pete Kendal was still on the team, do you think he would be a good fit for a Shanahan O-lineman? Always thought he took one on the chin from CerZorn. Thought he had some gas left in the tank and was a pretty good player. Where’s he now and what’s he doing?Posted by: fat_willie"

Out of football. I think that's his choice in the sense that he won't play for minimums. He's always wanted the $$, more power to him.

A very tough, very skilled guy who will be 37 in a month. I think it's done.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 7, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

"39-16 FTA advantage for Lakers before all the intentional fouls down the stretch.And please dont tell me the Lakers were more aggressive. Both teams were equally aggressive. 23 FT disparity?NBA is a joke.
Posted by: Rypien11"

You haven't noticed they're playing Hack-A-Laker out there? They got pushed around inside in the first game, so Boston went back to what worked against Dwight Howard. The FT disparity could have been a little worse.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 7, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Can't blame him for wanting the $$. Agree on the done part but I liked his game when he was with the team. Good player.

Posted by: fat_willie | June 7, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I think you have to give Boston all the credit in the world for its performance in the playoffs so far. I thought because of their superior road record that they'd give teams trouble, but they've played way beyond my expectations. Some of it's Rondo, but the old guys are really stepping up. It's like watching Detroit in the old days.

Will they beat the Lakers? Your guess is as good as mine, probably better. But that's more an NFL team than NBA, LOL.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 7, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

What the NBA desperately wants is for this series to go seven.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 7, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

The NBA does want that... but the same calls that the Lakers were getting inside, they swallowed the whistle on the Celts.

Not that their weren't bad calls against the Lakers too, but the game was a Laker parade to the line.

The officiating is generally just inept.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 7, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

I found this on Yahoo Sports. Don't know if it has been posted up here already, but Haynesworth hasn't been talked about in about 20 minutes, so...

In defenses such as the one Haslett will run, there’s a two-gap nose tackle who is primarily responsible for soaking up blockers so that ends and linebackers can make plays around him. Thus, fewer sacks and fewer tackles. Haynesworth, who has always made plays on his own despite handling double and triple teams on every snap, feels betrayed by an organization that “promised” him one kind of defense and is now presenting him with quite another. After finding himself the subject of several trade rumors and antagonizing the new coaching staff with his absence from voluntary OTAs, it would appear that player and team are stuck with each other.

Haynesworth may be unhappy with the 3-4 concept, but when the Redskins went with a three-man front in 2009, he was still able to get past offensive linemen and make things happen. Two plays from Washington’s Week 15 loss to the Giants clued me into Haynesworth’s potential in a 3-4, and how the overall scheme might work under Haslett.

The 2010 solution:

Figure 1

The first play (Figure 1) happened with the Giants at their own 37-yard line and 4:21 left in the first quarter. With New York up 7-0, Eli Manning lined his offense up in an I-formation set. The Redskins countered with a five-man front – four linemen with their hands down – and rookie “end backer” Brian Orakpo (98) standing up on the right side of the line.

On this play, Haynesworth (92) employed a swim move to jet inside as Manning threw an incompletion on a quick out to receiver Hakeem Nicks. The Redskins were actually set up to stop the run, and they ran a slide to the right side with Haynesworth cutting back. He still has the ability to disrupt in the middle, able to hand-fight his way through blockers. Before Haynesworth shuts down the idea of playing the nose in this role, he should watch some film of Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff, who has recorded up 21½ sacks since his rookie season of 2005 – just two fewer than Haynesworth has amassed since 2005 in supposedly more favorable settings for sack numbers.

Cont'd...

Posted by: RedDMV | June 7, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

The second play (Figure 2) came with 8:36 left in the second quarter, and showed how the Redskins can bring pressure with three linemen in a zone drop/blitz look. The Giants went five-wide from the Washington 10 on third-and-7. At the snap, tackle Lorenzo Alexander dropped into the mid-zone as all three linebackers backed out into coverage. While end Andre Carter dealt with a double team on the defensive left side, Haynesworth and Orakpo employed a simple-end-tackle stunt with Orakpo moving inside from a wide-end stance, the kind of thing Haynesworth did with Kyle Vanden Bosch in Tennessee a million times. Out of a three-man line, with the least amount of personnel pressure, Haynesworth was able to blast around the edge and sack Manning for a 10-yard loss.

Haslett has said that Haynesworth would play all over the line, which is par for the course with 3-4 teams these days – it’s very rare that any defense will play with three down linemen all the time. While it’s unclear where Haynesworth is getting his notions about what kinds of 3-4 fronts the Redskins will be employing, he’s got the talent to do serious damage no matter the scheme. When he attends the team’s mandatory OTA in mid-June, and training camp after that, perhaps he and Haslett will come to an understanding. Haslett could start by pointing out the fact that his best defensive linemen have already done good things in the defense Haynesworth professes to hate.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 7, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Probably not the best game to pull those observations from seeing how the 'Skins got mollywopped that Monday night game.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 7, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

"NBA is a joke."

I wouldn't go that far.

But the league does indeed have some major credibility issues--among other things.

--the league hypes its draft even though drafted NBA players rarely have an immediate impact or remain with the team that selects them

--the playoffs last about the half lenght of the regular season

--the league should go back to a 'best of 5' game format for the 1st two rounds of the playoffs

--why do well-conditioned athletes need so much time off between games?

--its muscle-bound, tatooed freakish athletes are essentially all low post players as the mid-range jump shot is a thing of the past

--you can avoid the 1st half of most NBA games and watch from the middle of 3rd period to the end of the contest to get the best excitement

--it seems that NBA coaches can call about a million timeouts

--finally, because most of the players weren't in college long wnough for any fan to become a fan of their game, it's hard to connect to them...

...or the games they are playing in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 7, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I guess it would depend on which one you want - Harvin, Sproles or Bush?

If you mean to ask - who is our smallish fast X-factor guy the can also excel on special teams? - then I suppose you want to look at Brandon Banks and Terrence Austin.

Posted by: p1funk | June 7, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

"When he (AH) attends the team’s mandatory OTA in mid-June,..."

...and when that happens, this place will jump like a '70s disco on free coke and straw night.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 7, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Don't look now, but Ray Allen just hit another 3.....

Rajon Rondo, messed around and got a triple double...if you don't know....now you know....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 7, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

"Harvin is really only used as a slot receiver. Sproles is really only used as a RB. Bush is the only true hybrid of the group. They can all return some punts."

Harvin played some running back last year.

And he can play quarterback.

And you have to believe D Sproles is athletic enough to 'flex'out and play in the slot.

Thing is, these guys, like Josh Cribbs, are the new type of player many NFL teams are starting to feature.

We are talking about guys with elite speed and quickness who can line up anywhere but o-line.

And it would be nice to see such a guy as one of them playing for us this Fall.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 7, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

As far as b-ball goes, I only want to get at two bloggas.

They know who they are too...

I said two things weren't going to happen in game two that happened in game one:

* Pau Gasol's "beastliness" -- minus six in total rebounds from game 1 to game 2.

* Ray Allen's ineffectiveness (3-8 shooting FIVE fouls) in game 1 -- SEVEN threes in the FIRST HALF. No, scratch that...

Seven STRAIGHT threes in the FIRST HALF.

All Ray was missing was "the shrug".

A lot of horrid calls last night, but for LA to be +15 in free throw attempts and still lose the game, speaks to one thing:

BOSTON'S DEFENSE

Which I said was lapsed in game 1. But some idiot a-hole blogger, tried to convince me that it wasn't a lapse or a "brain fart" in game 1.

Yeah, right.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 7, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 6, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh boy...you want to go to the stats, eh?

First, I said that Cooley is the better proven talent commodity - that means he has a longer more consistent track record of getting it done at a high level. Celek's one nice year out of 3 doesn't matchup to what Cooley has been doing every since 2005 (barring last year's injury shortened season). It took Celek 3 season to finally have a breakout, but Cooley was a 16 game starter by Year 2 posting 71 catches for 774 yards and 7 TDs. So no, he is not "every bit on par" with Chris Cooley. If he can keep up that kind of production for the next 3 seasons, then you could argue that he is on par with Cooley.

Second, your point is pretty moot until we see what Celek can do with a different QB. Last year he had D.McNabb throwing to him for all those great numbers. If your point is that D.McNabb was not a factor in generating that output, then you ahve to wait until someone besides D.McNabb is throwing him the ball to make that point. Cooley, on the other hand, got it done with Mark Brunnell and Jason Campbell under center illustrating that his production level is not dependent on one QB or a scheme.

Third, you should be a little embarassed for bringing up LJ Smith. In 7 seasons, he only had 2 that could be considered "good" in 05-06 but still didn't produce at the level of Chris Cooley. Last year in 12 games he had a whopping 2 receptions for 31 yards - not exactly proof that he can "get it done" minus Donovan McNabb chukcing him the ball in Reid's offense.

Finally, Fred Davis - who is the greenest of the lot in terms of starting experience - has already outproduced both Celek and Smith in terms of Year 2 production, all in an offense that was one of the worst in the leauge with a QB that didn't go to the ProBowl.

Posted by: p1funk | June 7, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

haha, red, yeah, Rondo out-rebounded Gasol...beast my lilly white backside...all while KG was MIA.....so there you go...and Ray-Ray just hit another 3...Lakers are gonna swing thier defense his way any second now......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 7, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I think I'd pay $20 just to sit in a gym and watch Ray practice 3s all day. Its a thing of beauty.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 7, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 7, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Harvin CAN play RB, and I believe he did alot of that in Florida, but he only had 15 rushes last year which indicates that when he totes the ball it is part of a gadget play or "surprise look" kind of play.

Bush, on the other hand, will go an entire series lined up at RB, and then go another series flexed out wide.

But I hear what you mean about the "hybrid" guy.

Antwaan Randle El was supposed to be this team's "hybrid" guy for years...but for some reason we don;t speak of him in the same sentences with Bush, Sproles or Harvin very often...wonder why...

Posted by: p1funk | June 7, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

ryp, its straight up pretty....no doubt about it...not a single wasted movement....he doesn't need but a sliver of room for it either...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 7, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 6, 2010 7:52 PM

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2010 10:55 PM

no examples, was just rambling off the top of my head about possible alternatives to bringing aboard Westbrook, given the players we have and discussion of 2 TEs, receiving RBs, H-backs, etc... seemed like a good idea after 50 gallons yesterday.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 7, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 7, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Gasol got alot of FTs and scored some points and got alot of blocks, but was still (-12) which was the worst +/- of any of the 19 players who logged minutes.

The PF/C trifecta of KG-Wallace-Baby didn't have nearly the flashy individual stats but were +1, +15, +3 respectively. And that is Celtics ball.

I know I've made alot about the KG-Gasol one on one matchup, but the truth is that if the C's play THEIR game and KG can play his role on the team - which does not require him to best Gasol one-one every game, only to limit his overall effectiveness in the game as part of the big-man rotation, then the job is done and KG will go home with the ring because Kobe alone can't carry the Lakers past these Celtics.

Posted by: p1funk | June 7, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 6, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like you are an Away Team pickle sniffer, how's that working out for ya?

Posted by: monk811 | June 7, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 7, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

When Ray does his "Jesus Shuttlesworth" we all scream "AMEN'!

Posted by: p1funk | June 7, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

p1, didn't we talk about you and those pesky stats last week....didn't you learn your lesson?? its not stats/facts that matter, its OPINION!!!

KG, got whistled for about 3 fouls that were just absolutely stupid on the refs part....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 7, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

"Antwaan Randle El was supposed to be this team's "hybrid" guy for years..."

Today's Poll

Select the biggest Redskin Offensive letdown or player:

a. Antwan Randle El--a gadget guy with no tricks up his sleeve.

b. Ray Brown playing better at the end of his career than Chad Rhinehart at the start of his.

c. Stephon Heyer starting at right tackle.

d. Mike Sellars not blocking for Clinton Portis; Clinton Portis' ghetto grammar in response.

e. Brandon Lloyd not doing whatever it was he was supposed to do at wr.

f. Ladell Betts getting hurt just as he was about to 'show us a lil sumthin''

g. Bingo Mitchell's playcalling proving Jim Zorn was a major reason the skins' offense underwhelmed.

h. Al Saunders' 400 page playbook and the 'forever in motion' plays it featured.

i. all of the above

Moe goes with 'i' as each example or possible answer is like an island in an archipeligo of FAIL!

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

What's so funny is that the whole post season Boston has been D'ing ish up, and the one game they don't all the sudden they can't anymore.. I mean, really, that's straight lol tarded funny...

Allen's jumper is just like that. J is so wet (no homo) that it doesn't even swish the new sometimes. Has the same form on it whether squared or shooting off-balance.

KG played a lot of minutes in game one and they lost... KG gets two early fouls and has to go to the bench... Allen goes on a tear... Offense seemed to run a lot more smoothly with KG on the bench, maybe they should consider bringing him off the bench...

LA better count their blessings that it was only Allen doing them in like that in the first half. Just imagine what would it could have been had Rondo and Pierce been on.

C's game plan should be simple: Have either Allen or Pierce (or both) get after them in the first half, Let Rondo close 'em out to end it, with KG D'ing ish up the entire time he's on the floor.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 7, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I friggin' hate baseball!!!

Here's why...

THROW THE FRIGGIN' BALL ALREADY!!!!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | June 6, 2010 8:49 PM
..........................

i totally agree. i used to enjoy baseball, maybe 20 yrs ago, but man it's so tedious now. i have long offered one rule change that might bring me back:

THE PITCH CLOCK

give the pitcher 10, maybe 12 or 15, seconds to throw the next pitch. that's all it would take.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 7, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

That's an easy poll, Brandon Lloyd was THE BIGGEST bust in the history of the Reskins, the dude can't rap either, he's got no skills, maybe WalMart is hiring...... I kid, I kid......

Posted by: monk811 | June 7, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm say 'D'.

And not just selection 'D' but the latter part of selection 'D', just because the way Portis pronounces words and his misuse of homonyms really, really, I mean really, mean the world to me.

And his use of prepositions at the end of his sentences has all sorts of bearing on how he'll perform on the field.

I want my RB's to be articulate. I mean, it's absolutely MANDATORY for them to be so if they want to play in the NFL.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

red, bringing heat on a monday....agreed, retire, and step into an English teaching position.....most def...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 7, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

E

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 7, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Today's Poll

Select the biggest Redskin Offensive letdown or player:

a. Antwan Randle El--a gadget guy with no tricks up his sleeve.

c. Stephon Heyer starting at right tackle.

e. Brandon Lloyd not doing whatever it was he was supposed to do at wr.

f. Ladell Betts getting hurt just as he was about to 'show us a lil sumthin''

i. all of the above

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

None of the above.

All of these minor annoyances would have been non issues if only Jason Campbell had closed his mouth when he breathed.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

move along, new thread...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 7, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"I friggin' hate baseball!"

I love baseball.

I love its mopey history.

I love how the players are usually very laidback dudes who travel and live lives footballers would kill to have.

You can play 10 years of pro baseball, and walk away from the game rich.

The emphasis is on being able to walk away.

I envy dudes who can pitch lefthanded and make a ball move within the last 10 feet of homeplate.

I love how every time I watch a baseball game, there's some new strategy I get to learn about.

Baseball isn't a sport built for t.v. in the way, say, football is.

I usually catch the first three innings, turn the sound off on the tv, go do something else, and then return around innings 8 and 9.

Unless, of course, if the Yanks, Sawx, Twins, Phillies or Cubs are on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 7, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Not sure about this one, so I am asking the ether: if Haynesworth decided to not report and just pay the fines, what would it cost him? Would it ever cost him more than he made, or would he still net millions?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 7, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

...You can play 10 years of pro baseball, and walk away from the game rich...

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 7, 2010 9:44 AM

Or, you can play 10 years, begin taking steroids until your head swells up to the size of a large pumpkin--then set home run records in your late 30s!

Sure, your manhood may shrink to the size it was before you hit puberty, but everyone else is doing it too!

Posted by: Alan4 | June 7, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse