Cooley Has Sore Quad But Plans to Play (Updated 2)

Chris Cooley says he has some soreness in his quadriceps but will play Sunday against the Saints. He said he felt the discomfort this morning and didn't want to risk aggravating anything by practicing this afternoon.

"I felt like my best option was to rest it today," he said.

Cooley, a 2004 draft pick, had never mised a practice before in his pro career and was "very frustrated" about not being able to go today. He said he had an "inside goal" of never missing a practice in his career, but he felt that he had to choice but to rest today.

With Cooley not practicing, rookie Fred Davis got more reps and Jim Zorn singled him out for praise, saying he had his best practice as a pro.
...
Jason Taylor got tangled up with another player in practice and was down for a few minutes, but is "totally fine" accordinmg to Zorn.
...
Zorn said he thinks Fred Smoot and Marcus Washington will play Sunday. He said he spoke to Washington today and that Smoot has a huge bruise on his hip. The staff is confident he will play.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 10, 2008; 3:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley Not Practicing; Defense Braces for Run (Update 2)
Next: Step 1 Is the Run for Skins

Comments

+++I *raise my leg and take a leak on* Obama

Posted by: kinda like Barno | September 10, 2008 2:29 PM+++

We know you aren't Grampy McSame posting behind a fake screen name. If McCain raised his leg, by the time his cantaloupe sized prostate allowed the first trickle of liquid to flow, Obama would be in the next county...or state.

Oh, and thanks for grooving one right in our wheelhouse.

Posted by: anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Humorous Retorts | September 10, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Updated this one....

Posted by: Cindy | September 10, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

that was pretty weak for having one grooved "right into your wheelhouse"

humorous?!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:09 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Cindy, never leave us!

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"I'm nowhere near 100 percent yet," [Taylor] said.

[Taylor] is "totally fine" according to Jim Zorn.
-------

Clearly obviously JlaC has a biased agenda against the Redskins for quoting two Redskins who made entirely contradictory statements on the same subject.

Posted by: Filling in for all the haters. | September 10, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

i just can't believe that oil companies would hire prostitutes. i thought that only happened in the movies. i wonder what their official title and pay level was.

tiny url

Posted by: dealer | September 10, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Seahawks just picked up McMullen... wish him the best.

Posted by: Brandon | September 10, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Syllogism d'jour

Republicans have no sense of humor

Anonymous is a Republican

Therefore, Anonymous wouldn't know humor if it bit him on the A$$.

Posted by: Anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Humorous Retorts | September 10, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Filling in for all the haters. | September 10, 2008 3:15 PM

Good stuff, "Filling."

Posted by: NOT Filling in for all the haters | September 10, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, Cindy told us this morning she expected us to be nimble today.

Indeed.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Good news about Davis, and hopefully he can make his debut on Sunday as well. Here is to Kelly, and Davis contributing to a win this weekend.

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

actually, nnone found any humor with it...even though you went out of your way to desperately post it in two seperate postings hoping someone would find it humorous.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Filling in for all the haters = Tongue in Cheekiness?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Movin and groovin, jibba-ing and jabba-ing for the next three days. You're going to have to rest up on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Or not. Whatever Gen. Nate commands.

Posted by: Cindy | September 10, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Today being one of the three days....
What Zorn meant is that Taylor had no further injury from the entanglement....

Posted by: Cindy | September 10, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Filling in for all the haters = Tongue in Cheekiness?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:20 PM

Figured it out all by yourself anon?!

Posted by: Filling in for all the haters. | September 10, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

From the WaPo:

"16 Injured as Car Hits Metrobus in District "

1 injured in the car
4 injured on the bus
11 injured after they hopped on the crashed bus

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Cooley definitely didn't hurt that quad throwing a block!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

From the WaPo:

"16 Injured as Car Hits Metrobus in District "

1 injured in the car
4 injured on the bus
11 injured after they hopped on the crashed bus

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:27 PM

Probably Osama followers

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Cooley definitely didn't hurt that quad throwing a block!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 3:30 PM

That hurts

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

zorn is terrible

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

All Repubs and Dems are idiots.

Posted by: Jesse Ventura | September 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

We're doomed.

Posted by: C-3PO | September 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Probably Osama followers

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:32 PM
=========

Does that mean Al Qeda is alive and well, right here in DC?

I thought we were fighting them over there so we didn't have to fight them here.

Stupid George W. Bush.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Probably Osama followers

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:32 PM

I'm certain they left the mountains and goats of Afghanistan to come to DC and hop on a bus for purposes of medical fraud.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, what should I have for dinner...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, what should I have for dinner...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:37 PM

---------
Depends. Are you Hannibal Lecter?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Was Cooley even on the field against the Giants? If he was, somebody tell Jason Campbell. He must've hurt his quad working out with his wife.

Posted by: Anon | September 10, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Nay Jabba no bodda.

Posted by: Bib Fortuna | September 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Now it's "General Nate"? Good grief. I was uncomfortable with the "Deputy Sheriff" mantle, and then I doffed the "Captain Obvious" cap, and here now I've leapfrogged all the way up to General? All right, I guess...

So now where do I go to meet up with the oil company people?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he was on the field, he was the guy whiffing on all of those back-side blocks that Zorn never made an adjustment on....

Posted by: Keino | September 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

They tried to get cooley the ball but every play they called for him ARE false started because the call wasn't made for him!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

So now where do I go to meet up with the oil company people?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX
Any local Rotary meeting or Hooters

Posted by: connskins | September 10, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 3:43 PM

But ARE only had 2 false starts. So they only had 2 plays for Cooley? Hah!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Who is this "Chris Cooley" person you all keep referring to?

Posted by: Jason Campbell | September 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I would like to take Reggie Bush to a carnival, buy him some cotton candy, take him to the tilt-a-whirl and watch him vomit from minor stomach discomfort.

Posted by: POOP | September 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

....

HAIL VICTORY

.....

Posted by: Sing the song | September 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Why is Taylor even practicing? He should be doing walkthroughs and that's about it. If he's "clearly not 100%", and clearly struggled physically last game, he needs to sit and rest in until he can go near full speed. He's not helping his recovery right now, and he's not helping the team by playing on one leg. Someone on the team or in the organization needs to step in.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

JT at 50 percent is better than almost every other DE in the league. We keep him in and let him do his thang.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 3:50 PM

++++++++++++++

Let him play!

Posted by: Shawne "Lights Out" Merriman--wait, the lights REALLY are out for me! :( | September 10, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to take Reggie Bush's mother out for a nice seafood dinner, then never call her again

Posted by: Champ Kind | September 10, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I was uncomfortable with the "Deputy Sheriff" mantle,...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 3:42 PM

...Not as uncomfortable as Deputy Sheriff "Foote" is with his "leg".

Posted by: 4-12 | September 10, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure why anyone would look up to Nate in the PDX when it comes to sports knowledge. He's still riding the Jason Campbell bus (which turns out to be a stripped VW with no seats, so his butt is sore from bouncing around on the metal floor as Jason Campbell mistakes a rocky mountain road for an open reciever).

It is time to realize and recognize the true genius here. It is I. The one who spoke out months ago regarding the perils of sticking with Jason Campbell. I preached the necessity to trade him prior to the league determining he is a no brained-no talent. We could have gotten a draft pick or two, maybe a young lineman in return for this loser. Well, now no one will want him. He's worth squat.

So, praise Nate for being a nice guy, and someone who is loyal to all the wrong causes, but definitely do not praise him for being able to spot sport's talent.

Oh yeah, I can remember Podspeak saying that Joe Flacco would be a great pick for the Skins. Well, Joe Flacco won his game...did Jason?

I told you so about Jason Campbell!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:52 PM

I highly doubt that. Maybe as a pass rusher he can still be effective. But he's a gaping hole waiting to be penetrated when the opposition double teams his side of the pitch.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:52 PM

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:00 PM

JT at 50% isn't even better than his backup on this team, D Evans. Taylor should be on the bench until he is able to contribute.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"Kelly said he left a congratulatory message on the cell phone of Philadelphia receiver DeSean Jackson, who had six receptions for 106 yards and averaged 12.1 yards on eight punt returns (he returned one punt for 60 yards) in Philadelphia's 38-3 rout of St. Louis. "That's my boy," Kelly said of Jackson. "I told him he had a good game, things like that." "

Is anyone else not feeling these comments like I am? I don't know if this was addressed in the previouses threads....

Posted by: 4th | September 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I told you so about Jason Campbell!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:52 PM

JT never got blown off the line for 5 yard chunks...

Posted by: Blind Man | September 10, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I think those that reported Cooley had really worked on and spent time improving his "blocking" this off-season, may have meant he improved his "Blogging".

Posted by: Cool-Whiff | September 10, 2008 4:06 PM

Posted by: Cool Whiff (2) | September 10, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm Sports_Guru. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I enjoy ice cream and a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me I have an I.Q. of 48 and that I am considered mentally retarded.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru, you've inadvertently made an excellent point. Hats off to you.

Nobody should ever look up to me when it comes to sports knowledge. I think I've made that abundantly clear. I even have a warning label advising not to take any of the ingredients of my comments seriously, at your own personal risk.

You, on the other hand, you want everybody to look up to you when it comes to sports knowledge! So much so that you put it right in your handle! You purport to be a sports guru!

And as far as I can tell, neither of us deserves to be looked up to in the department of sports knowledge.

But at least I do my best to be a "nice guy" and participate in a more or less reasonable, respectful conversation up here. I'd love it if you would do the same!

I told you so about Sports_Guru!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru, are you effin serious? You feel better now? You do realize that your post did not make Nate look bad. Quite the opposite. You need some help, and you have my pity.....

Posted by: dlhaze | September 10, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I told you so about Jason Campbell!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:07 PM

Last time I checked, Jason Campbell had >80 QB rating, completed 60% of his passes, and has 100% TD to turnover ratio.

And he also had better numbers in his first year as a starter than super bowl MVP Eli Manning did in that same year.

What was that you told us about Jason Campbell?

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

4th, Tavaris Jackson (a better fantasy QB since he runs a lot than real QB) for Calvin Johnson.

from:
The Talented Mr. Roto: Week 2 pickups
Tarvaris Jackson, QB, Vikings (8 percent): A tough first half on Monday Night Football, but he looked better in the second half, with a score, 178 yards passing, more than 60 yards rushing, and he finishes top-10 in fantasy points among quarterbacks. That's more than Tony Romo, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre, to name a few. Teams are going to make him beat them (rather than Adrian Peterson) and I could see Jackson being a reasonably useful fantasy quarterback this year.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I told you so about Jason Campbell!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:07 PM

What was that you told us about Jason Campbell?

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:12 PM

That he's a loser.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey psps23 we all know that you are correct about the numbers BUT when it all comes down to measuring or comparing players its about rings & trophies bro

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

What was that you told us about Jason Campbell?

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:12 PM

That he's a loser.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:15 PM

I agree.

Posted by: D. Snyder | September 10, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cool-Whiff | September 10, 2008 4:06 PM

Thats Cold .... accurate, but cold

Posted by: Al Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey genius, why do you think JC completed more than 60 percent of his passes? Could it be that he mostly threw dump off dinkers to his backs. Jane Fonda could complete those passes.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:00 PM

A gaping hole waiting to be penetrated by double teams?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Jane Fonda? Why would you use Jane Fonda?

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

JC and JT are not going to get this team to the SB. Some of yous have cool whip for brains.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes, cooley's blogging has been much improved. he updates almost daily him and wittle brother

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I didn't use Jane Fonda, the North Vietnamese Communists did.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmhh, cool whip

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous : Understood

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

i prefer miracle whip

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:16 PM
Have to disagree there; it's not all about rings and trophies. That logic would exclude Barry Sanders, Dan Marino, etc from being "great" in comparison to other players with SB rings.....A good/great player is a good/great player. Even if they are tools, like much as I hate to say it, T.O.

I like to think the jury is not yet out on Campbell......

Posted by: dlhaze | September 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Best ever synthetic American food: cool whip or velveta or cheese whiz?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:16 PM

And what alternative do you suggest that will give this team a better chance at getting a ring? If it involves the names "Collins" or "Brennan", don't even bother responding.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

My knee is screwed....

Posted by: Tom Brady | September 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

This is not a political campaign, we expect civility up here.

Posted by: stumped | September 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Imma Mayo guy not OJ either

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Anon,
That's a tough one...don't forget Tang.

Posted by: stumped | September 10, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I would like to take Reggie Bush to Subway and see to it that he gets salmanilla (sp) from the tomatoes on his Fresh Subway sub

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

cheese whiz, it can go on anything

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

I thought you were the biggest proponent for keeping Jason Campbell? Are you admitting that you made a HUGE mistake on that one?

This is important. We shouldn't allow the fate of the burgundy and gold to be determined by a brainless quarterback. If a player can't play, especially a player at the most important position, you get rid of him...plain and simple.

As far as hurting your feelings, I am sorry. I was only calling you out, because of your popularity on the board and your blind faith in Jason Campbell.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:18 PM

Really?

Santana Moss - 5 catches for 39 yards, 1 TD
Antwaan Randle El - 7 catches for 75 yards
Chris Cooley - 1 catch for 7 yards
Devin Thomas - 1 catch for 5 yards

Meanwhile
Ladell Betts - 1 catch for 11 yards
Clinton Portis - 0 catches for 0 yards

Sure looks like he was dumping those passes off to his backs.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Al, Zeke, or whatever your name is, send me a trade proposal that dosen't include Gates nor Turner and we maybe can talk......

Posted by: 4th | September 10, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:24 PM

I think we always focus on the QB because he handles the ball every OFF. play BUT we should be complaining more about the OL & DL. Wouldn't you agree?

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Jane Fonda? Why would you use Jane Fonda?

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:19 PM

Just to Hanoi everybody?

Posted by: SMACK | September 10, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 10, 2008 4:28 PM

I've said the same thing since Thursday. And I would definitely add Zorn to that as well. Campbell is the least of our problems right now. He hit his receivers with good accuracy on the routes they were told to run. He's not the problem.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

WTF is this crap & who the SJK is this league source?!

From PFT.com

‘SKINS THRILLED TO HEAR COLSTON IS OUT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 10, 2008, 2:21 p.m. EDT
As it turns out, that whole injury schadenfreude thing applies not only to NFL fans but also to NFL teams.

Per a league source, the Washington Redskins were “doing handstands and somersaults” in response to the news that Saints receiver Marques Colston will miss Sunday’s game between the two teams.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru, I will admit I misjudged Jason Campbell if he does not develop into a consistently winning quarterback in this league. To suggest I have "blind faith" is to suggest that I've ignored the bad moments, and there have been bad moments which have been Campbell's fault, as I've made clear I understand. I want to see fewer of those bad moments and more of the positives and especially more wins. Again, I've made all this clear.

For you to assert (over and over and over and over) that you are DEAD CERTAIN he will never be a successful (consistently winning )QB in this league, after he's made 21 starts over three seasons in two offenses... well, good for you, sir, to have achieved such prescience, such clarity of vision, such football acumen, that you know better than the decisionmakers who run this team.

I think you're just trying to provoke an emotional reaction up here with your drumbeat of anti-Campbell invective, which means I think at heart you're a "troll." And I can't help agreeing with those who would suggest people like you would be happier seeing this team lose with Campbell at QB than win with Campbell at QB, just because you'd be proven "right."

And no way would I let a person on the internet such as yourself hurt my feelings. No way, dude. Only someone whose opinion matters to me would be able to hurt my feelings.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

This is the actual entire post:

‘SKINS THRILLED TO HEAR COLSTON IS OUT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 10, 2008, 2:21 p.m. EDT

As we hear it, the Redskins think that having Colston out of play will make it much easier to control tight end Jeremy Shockey and running back Reggie Bush.

We’re also told that the four-to-six-week estimate on Colston’s thumb injury is a bit optimistic, and that he’ll be out closer to six weeks. He suffered the injury during the third quarter of Sunday’s game against the Bucs, but continued to play.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Cheese Whiz is delectable but it gives me painful gas...albeit cheap gas.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The telephone book is here.
The telephone book is here.

The power rankings are here.
The power rankings are here.

Posted by: stumped | September 10, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

My google got 962, but I won't quibble.

Posted by: stumped | September 10, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Nate 1-0

Posted by: Judge Judy | September 10, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell's record as a starter is 8 and 13. That make's him a loser in the purest sense.

I told you so about Jason Campbell!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Judge Judy you suck. You ruled against me yesterday in my battle with cl.

Screw....

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

tsk tsk tsk Gregory. You resorted to name calling yesterday.

Posted by: Judge Judy | September 10, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

How does 21 games make some a loser in the purest sense? Wouldn't pure be defined as 0-21?

How about "a losing record in limited playing time?"

That would be more accurate to me.

Not saying I think that Mr. Campbell is the future of the franchise, but because of the way he's been played, ain't no way you can say for sure where he's going to go.

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

WTF is this crap & who the SJK is this league source?!

"handstands"?

It's gotta be Jason Taylor's DC-based dance partner.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

OK 8-13 but if you break it down, he was directly responsible for 7 of the 8 wins but only 5 of the 13 losses, giving him a "true and accurate" record of 7-5. Now, 4 of those 5 true losses occured before 5 of his 7 true wins, giving him a "true and accurate" win-loss trajectory of 3.5. This 3.5 compares favorably to 42 percent of starting QBs between 1987 and 2003.

What else do you want? Just give him a few more years and watch this 3.5 turn into 4.2, the threshold number at which point a QB can truly be said to be playoff caliber.

Posted by: Mack Stats | September 10, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mack Stats | September 10, 2008 4:46 PM

Right, what he said.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

'rookie Fred Davis got more reps and Jim Zorn singled him out for praise, saying he had his best practice as a pro.'

...and will be a much better inactive than he was last week.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

His % is under 50.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the name calling Judy, I thought your ruling was premature, and short-sighted.

Want some bonus points?

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

SOunds like Jason Taylor got a case of the Bruce Smiths Disease.

Posted by: Tim Lyden | September 10, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mack Stats | September 10, 2008 4:46 PM

Finally someone understands what I've been saying all these years.

Posted by: Yogi Berra | September 10, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Ughm Tim, it's called aging.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Can I use bonus points to pay for my plastic surgery?

Posted by: Judge Judy | September 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Actually, that's a great point, Anonymous at 4:48pm, if Fred Davis is so impressive that he's on the active roster, who from last week's actives would be inactive?

Hmmm... also, if Springs is back, does that mean Lil' Tryon will be inactive?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you don't need plastic surgery...

But yes, yes you can....

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I certainly don't need it now, after the fact. I'm looking to pay off my balance.

Posted by: Judge Judy | September 10, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

"Santana Moss - 5 catches for 39 yards, 1 TD
Antwaan Randle El - 7 catches for 75 yards
Chris Cooley - 1 catch for 7 yards
Devin Thomas - 1 catch for 5 yards

Meanwhile
Ladell Betts - 1 catch for 11 yards
Clinton Portis - 0 catches for 0 yards

Sure looks like he was dumping those passes off to his backs.

If you're going to refute something, at least research the evidence you're claiming to have."

psps23, while the above above refutes Anon's statement about dump offs to RBs, it's still doesn't disprove his point about JC completing a bunch of short passes - a few were short of the first down maker. He averaged a whopping 5 yds per attempt. As they say, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

Posted by: LH | September 10, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Bonus points are the same as cash.

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

best practice in his pro career, maybe he'll be active this week? or is that too much to expect from a healthy 2nd round pick?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

WTF is this crap & who the SJK is this league source?!

"handstands"?

It's gotta be Jason Taylor's DC-based dance partner.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:44 PM

I actually heard the Skins were doing "thumbstands".

Posted by: SMACK | September 10, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Baloney!

Posted by: Judge Judy | September 10, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

LH don't try and convince people that JC looked bad against the Giants, don't you know it was absolutely everybody but JC that was bad, just like it has been his entire career, its everybody else's fault, don't you know that, you can't expect a 1st round pick to perform at a high level before he's 35 or before his 4th year, least that's what everyone has been telling me since Thursday.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

JC kept dumping the ball off short of the first down marker. It was painfully obvious to everyone that wanted the Skins to get a first down. Completions that don't move the chains, not impressive.

Posted by: Whambulance | September 10, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... also, if Springs is back, does that mean Lil' Tryon will be inactive?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 4:51 PM

Posted by: 4th | September 10, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LH | September 10, 2008 4:55 PM

And if you take my other statement from my other post, you'd get the reason behind it.

Campbell hit his receivers with good accuracy on the routes they were supposed to run. Campbell can't complete a 20 yard pass if Moss is running a 4 yard pattern, unless Moss makes a play after the reception. That's not on Campbell. Campbell can throw the ball 20 yards downfield if you want him to, but they'll all fall incomplete because his receivers will be 5 yards off the line of scrimmage running their routes.

85% of this is on Zorn, his playbook, and his playcalling. It all starts with him. He's got to give Campbell the opportunity to make plays before Campbell can actually do it. Zorn didn't do that last game. We'll see if it picks up this week.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 4th :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

dealer, my favorite quote from the Dept. of Interior Inspector General report ... "Sexual relationships with prohibited sources cannot, by definition, be arms-length."

Nate, when Cindy said General Nate, I don't think it was a reference to authority or command. More like my doctor, who is a "general practitioner."

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

WTF is this crap & who the SJK is this league source?!

"handstands"?

It's gotta be Jason Taylor's DC-based dance partner.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 4:44 PM

Nope, then it would be "jazz hands."

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

If Springs is active, Tryon will be inactive.

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

If I take your meaning, and at the risk of letting a double entendre, it's definitely breadth over depth with me, sween. Just as it's quantity over quality. And such as.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh, never mind, I see that was answered already.

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Smack, thanks, great Hanoi pun!

Posted by: Mark in 21132 | September 10, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Got it ... though that list there -- depth, breadth -- combined with width, does remind me of another one of my gripes with the English language ... why not "heighth"?

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about Lil Tryon, but I think based on this photo that Kareem Moore could compete to be Lil Marcus Washington.

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

depth, breadth -- combined with width

check, check, and check

Posted by: Peter North | September 10, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't the JT handstands/dancing be jazzstands. Besides I think the better caption than the lipstick on a pig thing, would be that it doesn't matter if Danny is in his Six flags office (or any other office he has other than the one in the 'Skins practice area/stadium), he's still Danny.

Posted by: Karen | September 10, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

psps23, if that's how you saw it, I can't argue with you. But perception is not always reality.

Posted by: LH | September 10, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Davis will be active; but will he set his alarm?

Posted by: stumped | September 10, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I bet cooley pulled hurt his quad punching through drywall.

Posted by: cc | September 10, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tweeeeeet!!!!!! | September 10, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

he didn't pull it blocking any giants that's for sure

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:40 PM
-----------
And one of those 8 wins was the Bears game last season, a game essentially "won" by Collins.

Any other of the 8 wins that JC started but didn't finish and still got the W?

Posted by: soups fan no more | September 10, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about that but I know the only games he has played well and "won" for us is Detroit and Philly last year, so in my book he's 2-19

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

"In addition, Campbell almost never releases the ball until after his receiver finishes his final break, rather than throwing "on" or an instant before the break. "

I said this after watching him on NFL Replay over the winter

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

This blog has turned into a complete Skins bashing site filled with A$$clowns spewing bullsh$t analysis like they're friggin NFL execs. What a shame. Used to look forward to the comments.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 10, 2008 4:28 PM

Ummmm .... 4th, Jackson for Johnson doesn't include Turner or Gates

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:33 PM

When there's something good to talk about I will be the first one to be excited trust me. But the Redskins and the Rams were the only teams in the NFL on Sunday to score in single digits, Campbell looked terrible, our lines looked ineffective, Burress looked like he could have done anything he wanted, and Manning looked like he could have said back there and ate a meal. On the bright side, London Fletcher is a beast and is probably the best signing by the Redskins in the last 15 years.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"Probably Osama followers"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:32 PM"

Well that leaves out Bush. He hasn't found him in seven years.

Posted by: Anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Humorous Retorts | September 10, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I said this after watching him on NFL Replay over the winter

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:31 PM
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Wow Anon, we should be calling you Sports Guru. You are so right all the time.

Boswell is a tool and knows squat about football.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:52 PM

Now THAT's comedy. I can't top that.

Posted by: Anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Humorous Retorts | September 10, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I think Campbell is a good QB.

But if all I'd ever seen of him was what happened last Thursday, I wouldn't think that.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

+++Kelly was a wasted pick. Jackson would have been a good pick. Unfortunately, I don't make the picks...Vinny Does!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:07 PM+++

You are so WRONG it's not even funny. Wasted pick? Ha! Malcolm Kelly catches 8-10 balls Sunday!

Posted by: Glass Nine-Tenths Full Corkczar | September 10, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:40 PM

Sports Guru, Peyton Manning's record was 3-13 after his first season. Under your logic, Colts should have dumped him as "a loser in the purest sense." I am not saying that JC would turn into PM, but it just not smart to label a young QB as a loser based upon such a small sample of games.

Posted by: M | September 10, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:33 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 10, 2008 5:36 PM

Despite the poor play, Score was only 16-7
And how come Burress didn't have is way...did he quit trying? How come the Gints didn't score once in the 2nd half. what did you expect from this team? New head coach, new offense, injuries before season started, Springs out, J taylor hurt.
Give me a break.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 10, 2008 4:27 PM

+++++

Did someone mention Blind Faith?

Posted by: Eric Clapton | September 10, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Dammmnnn....

On 980, Frank Hanrahan just said that he was alarmed today hearing Casey Rabach say, "Give us 2 to 3 more weeks to get the offense down."

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 10, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I see that we are basically on a four year plan here, so be patient. Here is Cerrato's thinking:
1) First year. Blow apart existing offense. Hire a qb coach to "fix" existing qb. Promote new qb coach to become head coach. New qb coach must now invent entirely new offensive scheme. Zorn meets Campbell, tells him to get his butt lower and thinks that the problem is solved. Fixate on drafting tall receivers. Dedicate 16 regular season games to learn new system.

2) Year 2. System still not implemented successfully, possible qb problem (as in not making his reads on time) for a WCO. Use high first place draft pick (because of 4-12 record) to pick another qb who is small, fast and scrambles well. Use fifth round pick to rebuild offensive line. Increase medical staff for remaining offensive and defensive linemen. Brennan is still thought of as a "project" by Zorn despite completing 80% of fourth quarter preseason passes. Use remaining draft picks on punters and sub 5-10 inch cornerbacks. Portis' contract renewed for 5 more years.

3) Year 3. The fact that no Skins qb has been able to start two consecutive games without getting mauled results in Zorn implementing the "personal blocker" offensive scheme in which large round 300 pound running backs are used in the backfield as bodyguards. Top two picks are used on Ron Dane look alikes. Fourth round pick used to rebuild the offensive line. Long snapper is used on 100% of offensive plays to a deep shotgun qb. Campbell expresses confidence in having the time to read now. Snyder praises the "vision" of Cerrato.

4) Year 4. Campbell tries out for the long snapper center position and finds himself most comfortable there. Brennan now the starting qb. The qb drafted in the second year is traded to the Patriots for a sixth round pick. The top 3 picks are used on tight ends. Snyder praises Cerrato's "truly unique vision". Heyer, Fabini, Jansen are given 3 year contract extensions.

Posted by: Dale | September 10, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Probably Osama followers

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 3:32 PM
=========

Does that mean Al Qeda is alive and well, right here in DC?

Stupid George W. Bush.

Posted by: Anonymous

Everytime I drive up to NOVA, and get on a toll road, I'm worried they are here! Have you seen all those toll workers? They are so polite and kind too. Not really!

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 10, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse